George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales

+7
cindigirl
silly girl
Lakin460
amaretti
it's me
Maggy
Katiedot
11 posters

Go down

George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales Empty George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales

Post by Katiedot Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:46

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Warner Bros. Pictures

The awards darling is making a brave comeback at the box office as Warner Bros. promises, "We'll keep it in theaters right through the Oscars."

BERLIN -- Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales.

The Oscar best picture contender, picking up one trophy after another, has earned nearly $124 million domestically and $76.1 million internationally.

Over the weekend, Warner Bros. upped Argo's theater count from roughly 900 locations to 1,405, almost unheard of in a film's 18th week in release (Argo opened Oct. 12). The film grossed $2.4 million to land back on the top 10 chart in the No. 8 slot.

On the eve of the Oscar nominations and Golden Globe ceremony in early January, Argo was playing in only 302 theaters, but Warners slowly started adding locations. Argo won the Globe for best motion picture in the drama category, while Affleck won for best director. The accolades have continued in force, topped off by Sunday's BAFTA wins for best director and best picture.

"It's very cool. We've grossed $14 million since the Academy Award nominations, and for a film that's been out that long, that's really a terrific result," said Warners president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman. "We'll keep Argo in theaters right through the Oscars."

Argo's strength at the box office also underscores the boost a film can enjoy when receiving an A+ CinemaScore.

The movie won't be released on DVD until after the Feb. 24 Oscar ceremony.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales Empty Re: George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales

Post by Maggy Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:48

Wow!
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales Empty Re: George Clooney and Ben Affleck's Argo is making box office history as it hits $200 million in worldwide ticket sales

Post by it's me Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:48

from 302 to 1,405 ?

oh my! affraid
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Wed 13 Feb 2013, 17:04

Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 17:29

Ticket sales - is that the "backside" that I've heard George refer to in interviews; not taking an initial fee, but making money on the backside?
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Wed 13 Feb 2013, 17:33

Wow indeed. I always wonder about how much money everything costs. Even if they don't win the Oscar they sort of already have......

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 13 Feb 2013, 17:49

Lakin460 wrote:Ticket sales - is that the "backside" that I've heard George refer to in interviews; not taking an initial fee, but making money on the backside?

Lakin I think when he said "backside" profit he was referring to compensation from his acting. I don't know how much money producers gain from the films.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 18:04

Oh, ok. Thanks cindi! I know next to nothing about film making.
Lakin460
Lakin460

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 13 Feb 2013, 19:57

"Back side" or, more commonly, "backend" refers to the revenues generated by the box office, ancillary distribution and broadcast deals (DVD, on-demand, cable, etc), out of which a star -- usually along with producers -- will take a percentage of first-dollar or net profits (after distributors, lenders, etc are paid), or sometimes after revenues reach a certain amount. For instance, once a $20M pic reaches $40M in revenue (approximately breakeven), the star gets x percent of everything else. That is probably how most major stars get paid these days.

Also, there is a sweet little deal called 'pay or play,' in which a star who attaches him or herself to a movie gets paid even if the project falls apart (obviously for a reason not involving the actor) or doesn't go into production by a certain date. For example, Denzel Washington committed to 'American Gangster' years before it finally got made. The project went through 2 directors and at least one other co-star, and changed studios, then was dead in the water. Washington got $10-20 M when it fell apart, depending on whom you ask; when it got picked up again, he got his usual fee, which at that time was $20M.

So when you see stars' names attached to movies that never see the light of day, remember it was probably still a payday for them.

This is why I'm so impressed with George and Grant. Whatever material they acquire and develop, they get it made. Sure, they make money, but the point is that they don't lose or waste anyone else's money. You'd be surprised how uncommon that is.

Random bit of useless, rambling, off-topic information...

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:19

Way2Old, you're a gem! Thanks for sharing your useless ramblings. They deepen my appreciation of the movies and the entertainment industry. Fascinating! George will apparently profit handsomely from Argo.
Lakin460
Lakin460

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:35

they don't lose or waste anyone else's money

BRAVI !!! cheers SO THE RESPECT THEY HAVE
I GUESS Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by cupcake Wed 13 Feb 2013, 21:02

Good for them congratulations guy's Sofa bounce
cupcake
cupcake
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 18 Feb 2013, 03:18

Apologies if already posted.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

'Argo' heads week's new releases

New Releases
Ben Affleck as Tony Mendez in "Argo." (Warner Bros. / February 17, 2013)

By Noel Murray
February 16, 2013, 12:00 p.m.

Argo

Warner Bros., $28.98; Blu-ray, $35.99

Available on VOD beginning Tuesday

Ben Affleck completes his evolution from movie star to action director with the hit, multi-award-winning and remarkably entertaining thriller based on actual events. Affleck plays Tony Mendez, the CIA agent who came up with a daring plan to extract a group of American Embassy staffers hiding in Iran during the 1979-81 hostage crisis: He pretended to be a location scout for a Canadian science-fiction epic. Though this is a true story, Affleck and screenwriter Chris Terrio fudge facts to make it more exciting, but given that "Argo" is partly about the allure of movie fakery, the changes aren't too egregious. Besides, it's hard to argue with the results: a frequently funny, genuinely pulse-pounding historical drama with a strong point of view about the similarities between Hollywood and global politics. The DVD and Blu-ray add a commentary track and featurettes that fill in more of the real-life details.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:54

Is it me, or have we missed the Writers Guild of America awards 2013? - Chris Terrio! Yay!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 18 Feb 2013, 11:07

I think it's you Wink [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Feb 2013, 11:24

It's me! But YAY again!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down