George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event

+4
suebee
MM
it's me
silly girl
8 posters

Go down

Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  Empty Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event

Post by silly girl Mon 19 Nov 2012, 16:29

Very sweet story:

It's a Wonderful Life, thanks to Jimmy Stewart Museum

I may never break bread with George Clooney but I had dinner with his parents, Nick and Nina Clooney, on Saturday night. And I know I'll never have the pleasure of dining with Jimmy Stewart but I met one of his twin daughters, Kelly Stewart Harcourt (pictured), at the same event.

It's easy to see where George gets his easy charm, smarts, sense of humor and good looks and to undertand why Jimmy felt such affection for his hometown of Indiana and passed it along to his children.The occasion was the George Bailey Award Dinner, presented by the Jimmy Stewart Museum, at the Rustic Lodge in the actor's hometown of Indiana, Pa.

The spirit of Stewart — and George Bailey — was alive and well as the museum honored five people (including me) with George Bailey Awards. It's a beautiful bronze bell, to remind us "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings." The handle is Jimmy Stewart as George in "It's a Wonderful Life," as designed by Indiana County sculptor John McCombie.

The other honorees: John Yang of NBC News, Tony Renda of Renda Broadcasting, Mike Donnelly of The Indiana Gazette and James Palmieri of Indiana County TV. The award is designed to honor "good friends of the museum, who have touched the lives of others through their actions and examples they set."

When, as I was carrying mine out to the parking lot at the end of the night and Kelly was retrieving her coat, the bell clanged and Kelly turned around. She joked that it happens automatically.

The evening included an abridged performance of "It's a Wonderful Life," with actor Christopher Collins doing the voices of George, Mr. Potter, Clarence the angel and a few other key characters. He nailed their inflection, delivery and even posture.

Dressed in a gray suit and tie with a 1940s-style hat (although doffing it and donning eyeglasses for Potter), Collins provided the essence of the Christmas classic about a man who longs to shake the dust of Bedford Falls off his feet and see the world but discovers fate has other plans. He stays in his small town, marries and starts a family, battles the conniving, heartless Potter and is given the chance to see what life would be like, if he had never been born.

It was a night both sweet and bittersweet as the Clooneys announced they'll be stepping away from official duties with the museum after 15 years of devoted service. "Your kindness will be etched in our hearts," the newsman, film historian and brother of Rosemary Clooney said in the banquet room before screens played the final scene of "It's a Wonderful Life."

After the movie chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" and a reminder that no man is a failure who has friends, Nina
was handed an armful of beautiful fresh flowers and Nick a wrapped gift.

Mr. Clooney's association with the museum dates to its earliest years. He filmed an AMC tribute to Jimmy Stewart, cut the ribbon for a new gallery and recorded a museum audio tour, and has made countless trips to host and support events big and small in Indiana and beyond, as with a National Aviation Hall of Fame ceremony a few years ago in Ohio.

Longtime museum board member Carson Greene recalled the time in 2001 when Charlton Heston was scheduled to receive the museum's Harvey Award but had to cancel three days before the sold-out event at the Indiana Country Club.

Greene called the Clooneys, who live in Kentucky, and Nick volunteered, "Nina and I are on our way right now." A letter Greene read from fellow museum booster Rich Little echoed the sadness at the passing of the baton to other supporters but also offered eternal gratitude for all they had done.

If this was Nick Clooney's last official time as host, he was funny and topical -- mentioning his arrest earlier this year at age 78 with George outside the Sudanese Embassy, cracking wise about being Clint Eastwood's speech writer at the GOP convention and consultant to President Obama for the first debate.

Neither of those gigs panned out, he quipped. "Now I'm working for cookies and bourbon," he joked, referring to the tins of homemade cookies the Clooneys and Kelly Stewart Harcourt found in their hotel rooms upon check in. The museum obviously believes in one of Jimmy's golden rules: "Be nice to people."

Kelly, who had flown to Pittsburgh from a business trip in Chicago and planned to return to California very early this morning, was gracious in thanking the Clooneys, Collins and the museum staff and its heroic volunteers. "Thank you for helping us believe Dad never left."

The museum, which opened in May 1995, highlights Mr. Stewart's accomplishments in film, radio and TV and spotlights his role as military hero, civic leader and family man. It's at the corner of 9th and Philadelphia streets in Indiana.

Below, Nina Clooney embraces Carson Greene after he recited a long list of words that apply to the Clooneys, including kind, gentle, considerate, always positive, caring, sharing, humble and a few I didn't get to jot down.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  Empty Re: Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event

Post by it's me Mon 19 Nov 2012, 19:29

this was Nick Clooney's last official time as host

he said
if

right? Neutral

well
they both need some rest
I guess

but I also hope for more random appearances

Very Happy RIGHT? Thumbs up!
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event  Empty Re: Nick Stepping down from hosting Jimmy Stewart event

Post by it's me Mon 19 Nov 2012, 19:31

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

he seems really good
no?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:11

Nick and Nina both look good, and I hope that they will have many more opportunities to do good in the world. The world needs more good people lilke them who can make a better difference for all. This big Coolio Give Flowers2
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by suebee Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:24

yes, he does it's me!

suebee
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by suebee Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:25

I suspect that is where his son got his GREAT ATTRIBUTES!

suebee

Back to top Go down

Post by suebee Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:29

what is so ironic is I have (3) all time favorite Holiday movies when I did celebrate them that I had to watch and "It's a Wonderful Life", White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street. I actually even bought them in vhs...that tells you how long it's been since I celebrated a Holiday...YIKES!!!! classics....and all time favorite movie Wizard of Oz as I still have that child like belief system like Dorothy and her faithful companion had somewhere deep inside of me wanting to break out again....

suebee

Back to top Go down

Post by suebee Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:31

I hope this doesn't sound conceited but whenever I watched "ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE" I saw myself as George Bailey, conflicted and needing a guardian angel like Clarence....but then probably everyone prays for an Angel of their own I suspect...

suebee

Back to top Go down

Post by phys major Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:45

Do not fear Suebee we all have guardian Angels..Just believe!!!!
phys major
phys major
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 19 Nov 2012, 22:39

I believe really, but think mine must have taken a vacation lately!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by suebee Tue 20 Nov 2012, 00:01

thanks phys major, sometimes I forget to remember to "BELIEVE" LOL....even though I have the words on my wall, Hope, Faith, Love, Believe and Dream and see them so often at different times, I still worry when things get rough and then I "forget" to believe, that I have a purpose and a mission I must complete while I am here on Mother Earth!

suebee

Back to top Go down

Post by suebee Tue 20 Nov 2012, 00:04

theminis may I be so humble to "loan" you mine while yours enjoy their vacation? I know of (2) little girl angels who protect me that died early senseless deaths. Their names are Kayla and Christina, so it is my desire and wish and thoughtful prayer that they remain with you on "loan" until yours return from R-N-R! God Bless...

suebee

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Tue 20 Nov 2012, 03:00

MM wrote:Nick and Nina both look good, and I hope that they will have many more opportunities to do good in the world. The world needs more good people lilke them who can make a better difference for all. This big Coolio Give Flowers2
I agree.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 20 Nov 2012, 23:31

" ... cracking wise about being Clint Eastwood's speech writer at the GOP convention and consultant to President Obama for the first debate.

Neither of those gigs panned out, he quipped. "

nailbiting Is Nick reading this forum too ? ROTFL
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 21 Nov 2012, 01:38

suebee wrote:theminis may I be so humble to "loan" you mine while yours enjoy their vacation? I know of (2) little girl angels who protect me that died early senseless deaths. Their names are Kayla and Christina, so it is my desire and wish and thoughtful prayer that they remain with you on "loan" until yours return from R-N-R! God Bless...

Thanks suebee!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down