George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Argo Boxoffice EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Argo Boxoffice EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Argo Boxoffice EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Argo Boxoffice EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Argo Boxoffice EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Argo Boxoffice EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Argo Boxoffice EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Argo Boxoffice EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Argo Boxoffice EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Argo Boxoffice

+14
Atalante
LornaDoone
cindigirl
Lakin460
Spacey2
party animal - not!
NotAvailable
it's me
amaretti
Best in Category
Maggy
melbert
Katiedot
silly girl
18 posters

Go down

Argo Boxoffice Empty Argo Boxoffice

Post by silly girl Sat 13 Oct 2012, 03:42

Here is preliminary information from Deadline.com:

Ben Affleck’s ‘Argo’ Overperforming At Crowded Friday Box Office; Holdover ‘Taken 2′ Could Still Be #1; Horror ‘Sinister’ Beating Kevin James Comedy ‘Here Comes The Boom’; ‘Seven Psychopaths’ And ‘Atlas Shrugged Pt 2′ Under $5M

By NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief | Friday October 12, 2012 @ 7:15pm PDT
Tags: Argo, Box Office, Sinister, Taken 2

COMMENTS (4)
FRIDAY 7 PM UPDATE: It’s an incredibly crowded domestic box office with five films opening in wide release. And it’s not even a holiday weekend. I just don’t get the distribution crush, especially with so much sports on TV (college and NFL football, baseball playoffs). The big exhibition news is that once again a critically acclaimed and Oscar buzzed Ben Affleck film for Warner Bros is overperforming. Argo is opening right on the heels of Twentieth Century Fox holdover Taken 2 still expected to grab #1 for the second straight weekend with $7.5M-$8.5M today and $22M-$25M. But a close #2 is Affleck’s true story of the ‘Canadian Caper’ covert operation to rescue six Americans during the Iran hostage crisis in November 1979-January 1980. Coming into today, Argo was accounting for 10.5% of all online transactions.with about $7M-$8M for today and $22M-$25M for the weekend. That’s much better than the high teens which Hollywood was expecting and bodes well for its legs: the last caper film Affleck directed and starred in, The Town, kept widening its audience.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Argo Boxoffice Empty Re: Argo Boxoffice

Post by Katiedot Sat 13 Oct 2012, 04:39

Oh, that's fantastic news!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 13 Oct 2012, 04:57

Go Argo!!!!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Sat 13 Oct 2012, 05:45

WONDERFUL!!!
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Sat 13 Oct 2012, 08:15

Great! Especially with this timing.

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sat 13 Oct 2012, 08:26

Great news !! Good for Ben .

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sun 14 Oct 2012, 19:15

Here is the weekend estimates and story from Box Office Mojo:

Forecast: ‘Argo,’ ‘Sinister’ and More Target ‘Taken 2’ on Busy Weekend

by Ray Subers

Argo

October 11, 2012

On the busiest weekend so far this Fall, five new nationwide releases will battle to see who can take the largest chunk of the box office pie, though first place will likely go to Taken 2 again. Argo and Sinister seem to be in the best position right now, while Here Comes the Boom will attempt to get in a few hits at over 3,000 locations. Seven Psychopaths and Atlas Shrugged: Part II are receiving much more modest releases and will both open outside of the Top Five.

Debuting at 3,232 theaters, Argo is the third movie directed by Ben Affleck, who has experienced a well-documented career resurgence thanks to his work behind the camera. In 2007, Affleck's directorial debut Gone Baby Gone was a modest box office performer with $20 million, though it received great reviews (94 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and built up a strong post-theatrical following. As a result, Affleck was able to make Boston-set crime drama The Town, which opened to a solid $23.8 million on its way to a very good $92.2 million total. The movie also received great reviews (94 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and is well-regarded with movie fans (7.6 rating on IMDb).

Similar to The Town, Argo has Affleck playing double duty as both director and actor. Advertisements emphasize the connection to The Town, though on the surface the two movies are very different. While The Town is set in the widely-appealing world of Boston crime, Argo is a period thriller that splits its time between the halls of the CIA, the backlots of Hollywood, and the streets of post-revolution Iran. The Middle East setting in particular is troublesome: while the recent attack on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya makes Argo more timely, it also prevents the movie from appearing as the kind of escapist entertainment audiences are looking for when they head to the movies.

Going strictly based on the great reviews (91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and hefty Internet buzz, the setting and time period doesn't seem to be a huge issue. But those factors can't necessarily be trusted. As strange as this may sound, a good comparison is October 2010's The Social Network. Both movies are well-reviewed, come from an acclaimed director, and were receiving tons of awards buzz ahead of their release. Also, each movie is about something near-and-dear to the hearts of movie bloggers: in The Social Network's case, it's entrepreneurship on the Internet, and in Argo's case it's the movie industry. Therefore, online anticipation doesn't necessarily align with that of mainstream moviegoers. The Social Network ultimately opened to a fine $22.4 million on its way to $96.7 million—if Argo winds up at the same levels (also similar to The Town's figures) it will be in very good shape.

Low-budget horror movie Sinister seemingly come out of nowhere to also be a contender at this weekend's box office. Sinister has all the trappings of a strong horror movie entry: it's got the haunted house, the home movies, and an insanely scary marketing campaign. It's also been building buzz via targeted screenings like one at South by Southwest, which has helped get the message out to genre fans. It's really the only horror movie in the marketplace this weekend, and it seems to have avoided being overshadowed by Paranormal Activity 4's upcoming debut. Sinister's R rating is going to keep it from popping to the level of director Scott Derrickson's The Exorcism of Emily Rose ($30 million), though Insidious's $13.3 million start seems like the low point this weekend.

WEEKEND ESTIMATES
1. Taken 2 $22,500,000
2. Argo $20,120,000
3. Sinister $18,250,000

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 14 Oct 2012, 20:10

Still a great showing!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sun 14 Oct 2012, 21:12

Wow !!! Congrats Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 14 Oct 2012, 23:03

ottimo!!!!!! cheers Thumbs up! Hoorah!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Mon 15 Oct 2012, 01:09

Wow, thats the greatest news. Doing good!
NotAvailable
NotAvailable

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Oct 2012, 00:49

So Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner are in Paris for the Argo Premiere. London is the day after.

Could it be that others might be there too??

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 16 Oct 2012, 05:56

G needs to be in USA
for his prize
on Sunday
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Spacey2 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 15:30

it's me wrote:G needs to be in USA
for his prize
on Sunday

What "Prize" is that? Is that the day he receives "the Biggest A**hole I Have Never Met" Award? Bricks
Spacey2
Spacey2
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 16 Oct 2012, 15:50

No Spacy2 he is receiving a humanitarian award....here is the info:

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Tue 16 Oct 2012, 15:56

Thanks Silly girl,

Stacey spacey here got me all confused, I thought it was a prize for someone who dated one, some or all of the real housewives...

at the same time Very Happy

Best in Category

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:09

Do I smell a troll.............
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:12

Lakin460 wrote:Do I smell a troll.............

Yes you do Lakin - a troll who is taking a hiatus from IMdB and has crash landed on this forum. lol Laughing
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:23

Only one way to deal with a troll, eh, cindigirl? Starve out their need for attention!!!
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:28

That's the way to go Larkin!!!!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 20 Oct 2012, 13:41

featurette Smile

Thumbs up!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Spacey2 Sat 20 Oct 2012, 14:06

Lakin460 wrote:Do I smell a troll.............

Are Trolls stinkier than dead fish? Just curious....
Spacey2
Spacey2
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Sat 20 Oct 2012, 15:39

Spacey stacey too - only if they use multiple pseudonyms... Razz

Best in Category

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 20 Oct 2012, 17:33

3 different (Ita) trailers
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 21 Oct 2012, 05:45

Did you know if you soak fish in milk for 30 minutes before cooking it will take away the "fishy" smell.

Now why the hell did I post this here when we now have a recipe thread?

Brahahahahahahaha! Just entertaining myself folks.

Proceed!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 29 Oct 2012, 04:34

Good News:

Weekend Report: 'Argo' Ahead of Four Dreadful Debuts

Four new nationwide releases all underperformed this weekend, which allowed Argo to move up to first place in its third outing. Overall business was fairly quiet, with the Top 12 off 12 percent from last year with an estimated $82 million.

It's hard to gauge the actual impact of Hurricane Sandy, which is about to bear down on the East Coast. At worst, Sandy may have suppressed business by about 10 percent (for example, that would put Paranormal Activity 4's drop in line with Paranormal Activity 3), though it's impossible to say for sure. One thing that wasn't affected, at least, was the Saturday-to-Sunday drops: studios are estimating that the Top 10 will dip 42 percent from Saturday to Sunday, compared with 47 percent last weekend.

Argo eased 25 percent to an estimated $12.36 million in its third weekend. It's the first movie since True Grit to claim the top spot for the first time on its third frame. That's partly due to the movie's strong word-of-mouth, but incredibly weak competition also played a major role. Through 17 days, Argo has earned $60.8 million, which is off from The Town by just over $3 million. ...

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 05 Nov 2012, 21:15

Marco Giusti - Dagospia
ARGO OF AND BEN AFFLECK
Fuck you, "Argo"! Well, when we see a movie move John Goodman and Alan Arkin, after all, as two old glories of Hollywood in the '70s, hired by producers Grant Heslov and George Clooney illuminated by one of those movies that politically re-read the secret history and recently the country, as did the considerable "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "Syriana," we can not stand by them.
ARGO OF AND BEN AFFLECK
Fuck you, "Argo"! You've already won, even if not everything in this third film from director Ben Affleck, written by newcomer Chris Terrio, it works perfectly and runs a little 'boredom. But meanwhile, also this week, "Argo" enjoyed box-office American coming to a cash inflow of $ 60 million (of course, "Skyfall" there is not out yet) and getting a great success with critics (92% approval rating on " Rotten Tomatoes "). Usually the Oscar race, as it is the typical Hollywood film obamiano and at the right point.
Beginning with a crazy story and entirely true that has only recently been revealed to the Americans. "Do not you have a bad idea better than this? ', Asking the leaders of the young CIA agent Tony Mendez, ie a bearded Ben Affleck and aged somewhere between Warren Beatty" Shampoo "and Massimo Cacciari version piacione television. "This is the best bad idea we had, sir. By far the best ... long," he says Mendez.
ARGO OF AND BEN AFFLECK
We are in between the end of 1979 and beginning of 1980 in Tehran just released by the Khomeini revolution, the Shah fled diagnosed with cancer in America Jimmy Carter full of gold bullion. When a group of hooligans attacked the U.S. embassy in Iran by taking 52 hostages, no one notices that you're American citizens previously escaped took refuge in the apartment of the ambassador Canadian, played by Victor Garber.
If they find out the Khomeinists for the six would be certain death and implicated in the two countries, Canada and the U.S., quite a problem. The best of the bad ideas come to Tony Mendez is to pretend that you are, that will become seven with him, are nothing less than a Canadian film crew over to Tehran for inspections of some important scenes for their upcoming film. "Argo", in fact, a bizarre little science fiction film 70, which will turn the Middle East.

A John Goodman and Alan Arkin, respectively, a true master of Hollywood make-up, the John Chambers responsible for talking apes series of "Planet of the Apes" and an old jew trafficone producer Lester Siegel, will the consultants Hollywood operation. Because to make the plan at that Mendez in Tehran, the first thing to do is set up in Los Angeles, with a lot of publicity on "Variety" and registered office, a real movie. "So you," as well summarizes Arkin, "you want to come to Hollywood, pretend you're working on a big project without realizing really, no? Then you've come to the right place."
argon-ben-affleck
The film of Affleck is divided into three well-defined moments. The first one has to introduce the story and tell the facts, very realistic. The second, more comedy, which sees Mendez in Hollywood to set up the crowds "Argo" with Goodman and Arkin. The third, pure thriller, all set in Tehran rebuilt in Istanbul, which sees Mendez implement his plan and take away the six Americans from the city. Obvious that the most wild and fun for fans of B-movie to Larry Cohen is the one set in Hollywood, but the whole operation, even in its realism, is pure cinema 70s.
argon-ben-affleck
And therein lies the strength of the "Argo" by Clooney, Heslov and Affleck. Repeat, with a passion for the political cinema of today, a history of America 30 years ago, but which clearly explains the troubled US-Iran relationship today, without losing all the irony and fun of Hollywood at the time. Thank Arkin jokes abound about the union of American writers ("Are you worried about the Ayatollah, think when you meet the writers' union!"), Producers, and any time is good to slip by Karl Marz Groucho Marx, as in great final dialogue with Goodman.
"What starts with a farce ends in tragedy," Goodman ago. "Who said that?", Asks Arkin. "Marx". "Groucho said that? Concludes worried Arkin. But there are also bad jokes about Jimmy Carter." Carter said you're a great American, "says his boss Mendez at the end of operation." A great American what kind ? '. "This has not said." For this, fuck you "Argo"!, as always repeat the three protagonists of the company. Though not everything is perfect, we really enjoy.

- link to the translated version -

original one
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 05 Nov 2012, 22:27

Well Argo and Ben Affleck are all over the news here in Little Old Belgium. Twisted Evil
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 04 Dec 2012, 09:23

Good news:

Still playing in north of 1,000 theaters, Ben Affleck's Argo made headlines over the weekend as it grossed $2 million to jump the $100 million mark domestically. The Warner Bros. movie has now grossed $101 million domestically.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 04 Dec 2012, 13:21

great cheers

(no? confused )
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by socimar Tue 04 Dec 2012, 14:16

I want to see Argo so badly but it is not easy in the Northern Virginia area where I live because it has only one showing at 10:00 am, who would go to a movie at that hour of the morning? I have to search for more distant theaters but so far they all seem to have one showing only late at night...and I don't drive well at night!! What does this mean, that it is not a box office hit?? Not to worry, the "Hurt Locker" disappeared from the movie theaters overnight, nobody went to see it, too close to reality, people want to escape, don't want to watch what the reality is in a warzone; however it received several Oscars and people have been flocking to buy the DVDs and I have now seen it 4 times on TV on TNT, it has become a movie classic, so go and figure!!
socimar
socimar
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Tue 04 Dec 2012, 15:01

Socimar, I wouldn't worry about Argo as it is only a fair and very predictable movie. It was not a box office hit. Ben Affleck gave a good performance. This will not be a classic. Too much hype about this movie before it was released like it was something spectacular. It's not.

George Fan
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 04 Dec 2012, 17:20

Interesting. My son and all his friends from university said it was stunning.............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Tue 04 Dec 2012, 17:41

I think people that did not know of the hostage crisis in Iran to begin with having lived through it, see this movie as less predictable as to the outcome. The final scene with the escape and the drama has the most action and best acting. But actually a very simple story. Not a bad movie, taking in $100 M, just not a great movie IMHO. It will be nominated but I don't think will win.

George Fan
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:13

socimar wrote: where I live because it has only one showing at 10:00 am, who would go to a movie at that hour of the morning?
Me! One of my greatest pleasures in life when I lived in a city was forcing myself out of bed on a Sunday morning and staggering down to the cinema for a 9am showing. It's what I call my popcorn breakfast (occasionally a hot dog breakfast if my hangover requires it).

Anyway, hoping Argo is still showing in the UK over Christmas.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Wed 05 Dec 2012, 16:00

It's a good movie, but like George Fan, I didn't think it was GREAT. Most movies these days are so over hyped, when I finally see them, they're not as good as expected and then you just feel like "meh!".

I wish George had done Argo instead of Ides. It was a better movie than Ides and he would've done a better job at least in Ben's role. My problem is I'm not a huge Ben Affleck fan. He seems to play himself in every role, altho the same could be said about many actors.
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 05 Dec 2012, 22:46

Shocked A 9 am showing ???? Where have you been living ???
Katiedot wrote:
socimar wrote: where I live because it has only one showing at 10:00 am, who would go to a movie at that hour of the morning?
Me! One of my greatest pleasures in life when I lived in a city was forcing myself out of bed on a Sunday morning and staggering down to the cinema for a 9am showing. It's what I call my popcorn breakfast (occasionally a hot dog breakfast if my hangover requires it).

Anyway, hoping Argo is still showing in the UK over Christmas.
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 06 Dec 2012, 00:57

Just saw Argo and I quite enjoyed it - cheers for Ben Affleck, enjoyed his performance in this particular movie - found the last 10 minutes quite anxious even knowing the outcome. Gets an A from me.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down