George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ? 2007

+5
it's me
lelacorb
Stellita
cindigirl
Joanna
9 posters

Go down

IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 Empty IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ? 2007

Post by Joanna Tue 17 Jul 2012, 20:16

Is George Clooney the new Cary Grant?

David Thomson
June 3, 2007
Page 1 of 3 | Single page

George Clooney
Photo: AFP

If George Clooney is to be the new Cary Grant, writes David Thomson, he'd better stop being so pleased with himself and leave the Vegas romps behind.

We all love movie stars, and the very idea of them. But sometimes we get the notion that it is harder to be a "true star" now than it was. We may note that Katharine Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck, Laurence Olivier and John Wayne were all born in 1907. Take the first decade of the 20th century, and nearly every "great star" was born in that span. Why should that be? And, more especially, if it is a provable fact and an observable condition, what has happened to movie stars now? Is it possible that George Clooney is the new Cary Grant?

I like Clooney; I revere Grant. I wrote in 1975 that he was "the most important actor the movies have ever had". Of course, he had stopped working by then. Grant had made his last picture, Walk, Don't Run, in 1966, when he was 62. He was esteemed by 1975, but what I wrote was still widely considered impetuous and silly. He was hardly rated as an "actor"; he had never won an Oscar. In the 30 years since then, I think, the opinion has become an orthodoxy: Grant is untouchable, magnificent and hugely influential, and the presence that contained a very complicated screen character. Still, in 1975 and in the years of his steady greatness, Grant was not seen as a genius. Nor does orthodoxy now mean that the estimate will last.

I like Clooney, and I am prepared to be tolerant with his "strategising" that if you make an Ocean's Eleven, or Twelve, or Thirteen this year you can make a Syriana next - because, let's face it, the Ocean's films oil the machine, while Syriana is "important". Let me modify the above: I like Clooney, yet I think that bargain is hogwash and dangerous. The original Ocean's Eleven (from 1960) was enough for me, and it's as plain as can be that the films are in the "boys' night out" genre. They indulge and exaggerate the charm of male company and team expertise. And, just as the original was designed to flatter Frank Sinatra and his clan, so the new series endorses the principle that boys don't need to grow up.

Read More....http://www.theage.com.au/news/film/is-george-clooney-the-new-cary-grant/2007/05/31/1180205423064.html3

READ MORE.....http://www.theage.com.au/news/film/is-george-clooney-the-new-cary-grant/2007/05/31/1180205423064.html3

Last edited by Joanna on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 20:23; edited 1 time in total
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 Empty Re: IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ? 2007

Post by Joanna Tue 17 Jul 2012, 20:20

Cary Grant

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

George Clooney

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ?   2007 Empty Re: IS GEORGE CLOONEY THE NEXT CARY GRANT ? 2007

Post by cindigirl Tue 17 Jul 2012, 20:45

Jo, thanks for the comparison photos. I'd vote George over Cary Grant. G's face is much more thoughtful and intelligent. Grant's pose looks so fake. IMO
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellita Tue 17 Jul 2012, 20:56

The pictures above of Grant and Clooney share some facial similarities like the chin, lower lip and thick eyebrows. I think both man are very distinguishably handsome.

Stellita
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Tue 17 Jul 2012, 20:57

I hope that there isn't a Rundolf Scott in the George's live!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 17 Jul 2012, 21:16

George Timothy Clooney
is not Cary Grant

he is better Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by beeh! Tue 17 Jul 2012, 21:20

Way better.
beeh!
beeh!
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 17 Jul 2012, 22:16

beeh?

aren't they sheeps who say beeh.... ?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellita Tue 17 Jul 2012, 22:18

I'm hearing echos

Stellita
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 17 Jul 2012, 22:20

hehehehe....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 23:14

As we compare, I think we'd do well to remember that Cary Grant was a movie star in a different era than George. Long before I knew of George Clooney I crushed on Cary Grant. He was suave, debonair, sexy, sooo masculine and SOOOO handsome. That voice, those chiseled good looks.

I think he and George have a lot in common in their general appeal and charisma, altho Grant appeared more sophisticated, IMO. But again, it was a different era when we didn't have such an intrusive window into his life as we do with George. Movie stars were far less accessible in regard to their private lives and activities.

In the TIME magazine cover where George is called 'the last movie star', the photo is purposely shot to emulate Grant, I think. And I also think it is high praise for George to be compared to Cary Grant.

Thanks, Jo, for this thread. You're doing a fine job keeping us occupied with all things George!
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by shvibziks Wed 18 Jul 2012, 01:47

Why "the next Cary Grant", they're both amazing in their own ways. Cary Grant was (and is) one of my favourite actors and I personally don't think there'll ever be a new him that despite of all the similarities between him and GC. The same can be said about George and I don't think there'll ever be another George Clooney either.
shvibziks
shvibziks
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 02:04

Agreed, dear. (And a warm welcome to the forum, by the way!) The point of the comparison is that of one 'Great' to another. We tend to gauge talent and excellence by those who have gone before. No one, I think, is saying that Cary Grant can be replaced or outdone by George.Or vice versa. It's a comparison by similarity and not meant to be a competition.
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 18 Jul 2012, 08:41

very well said !
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:22

'My father liked being called gay,' admits Cary Grant's daughter in new memoir
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

UPDATED: 11:29, 28 April 2011

Cary Grant's daughter has penned a memoir about the famous actor, admitting he liked it when people called him gay.
The British screen icon, who was married five times, was often dogged by rumours that he was bisexual.

But his daughter Jennifer Grant, 45, says the Hot Saturday star actually liked the mystique surrounding his sexuality because it 'made women want to prove the assertion wrong'.

Rumours: Cary Grant, pictured with fellow actor Randolph Scott, who he was rumoured to have had a gay affair

In the memoir, Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant, Jennifer writes: '(You) Can't blame men for wanting him, and wouldn't be surprised if Dad even mildly flirted back.
'When the question arises, it generally speaks more about the person asking.'

But she adds: 'Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong.'
Grant was notoriously private about his personal life.

In the Thirties, rumours swirled about his close friendship with fellow actor Randolph Scott, who he met on the set of the
1932 film Hot Saturday.
Shortly afterwards they moved into a Malibu beach house together, which became known as Bachelor Hall.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:31

Lakin460 wrote:As we compare, I think we'd do well to remember that Cary Grant was a movie star in a different era than George. Long before I knew of George Clooney I crushed on Cary Grant. He was suave, debonair, sexy, sooo masculine and SOOOO handsome. That voice, those chiseled good looks.

I think he and George have a lot in common in their general appeal and charisma, altho Grant appeared more sophisticated, IMO. But again, it was a different era when we didn't have such an intrusive window into his life as we do with George. Movie stars were far less accessible in regard to their private lives and activities.

In the TIME magazine cover where George is called 'the last movie star', the photo is purposely shot to emulate Grant, I think. And I also think it is high praise for George to be compared to Cary Grant.

Thanks, Jo, for this thread. You're doing a fine job keeping us occupied with all things George!

I'm with you Lakin - Cary Grant one of my all time favourites - such sophistication - An Affair to Remember is in my top 5 of all time movies. (My late elderly father (born 1925) was a fan) so I was raised on a steady stream of Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, John Wayne etc along with Maureen O'hara, Jane Russell, Rita Hayworth, etc movies. So not the era I was born into!, while my teenage friends were raving about Leif Garrett, Hardy Brothers, Scott Baio, I was dreaming of Cary Grant. Not complaining though.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down