George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight

+14
bunny
Atalante
Casey
Stonehenge who?
lolo"layla"
PigLove
it's me
Merlin
ladydi
sisieq
Katiedot
melbert
Dexterdidit
laetval
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 Empty Re: George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight

Post by PigLove Tue 25 Jan 2011, 15:31

I'm not surprised by GTC's low numbers. Everybody knows that all he talks about anymore is the Sudan, so why tune in? I'm a big fan (as you probably know), but I tuned out most of his droning about the issue. Pfah! It's not what I want from him, except in small doses. If/when he decides to run for office, he won't be running in NY, so I won't care then, either.

Sorry, Melbert, but tabloids would be crazy to focus on a serious issue like the Sudan. Their readers would bolt! And think of the inaccuracies. As a loyal subscriber to STAR magazine, I prefer to leave the discussion of the Sudan to NPR/BBC, who spoke to John P. without his famous sidekick.

G should have used a lighter touch with the Sudan stuff on a show like Piers'. For the Sunday morning shows, it's a different matter. But I'd rather Piers had asked about G's movies, and coaxed out a nice dollop of his famous charm and humor.

But, oh right! G isn't promoting his movies anymore. Whatever.

His Dateline episode hit the perfect balance, although it was a little schmaltzy.
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 Empty Re: George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight

Post by Atalante Tue 25 Jan 2011, 22:59

You are right, no balance in that interview.

Nothing at all about new movies to come and Nick had to play the part of the flowerpot.

lol!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Tue 25 Jan 2011, 23:26

Yes, Atalante! Poor Nick. That was so annoying.

If I had been Piers (how many times do I have to say it?), I would have BEGGED Nick to start blogging.
PigLove
PigLove

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 26 Jan 2011, 02:15

Oh PigLove, you nailed that one! I know WHY the tabloids do what they do, but it pisses me off they can't even be partly right in most cases. I do not believe that the entertainment news should be about the Sudan, etc. So many other outlets for that. Hit on his humanitarian efforts to show how good a guy he is, but emphasis on the "entertainment" part of him. In regard to Nick, I felt so sorry for him. Atalante hit that right with the "flowerpot". I enjoyed listening to him and what he had to say, but I thought Piers treated him like a prop. I'll stop now.
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 26 Jan 2011, 17:10

PigLove wrote:Yes, Atalante! Poor Nick. That was so annoying.

If I had been Piers (how many times do I have to say it?), I would have BEGGED Nick to start blogging.

So how can we reach Nick Clooney ? I don't mind sending him a mail. I'm always in for some fun. clown
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 26 Jan 2011, 19:22

flowerpot? means? not important?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Wed 26 Jan 2011, 19:56

it's me wrote:flowerpot? means? not important?
Decoration flower

Regarding the ratings - I'm guessing its because it was a Friday night and people were just out.

Last edited by sisieq on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 19:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Last sentence)

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Wed 26 Jan 2011, 22:19

In NY, Friday nite is not a big nite for t.v. So why was he slotted for this time period?
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 27 Jan 2011, 01:55

Maybe the exciting end of Piers' first week? Start BIG with Oprah, end BIG with George? Just my thought.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Fri 28 Jan 2011, 17:57

Here's a nice take on the interview from a newspaper in the Philippines!! I've bolded the GTC part, but the whole thing is interesting.
LINK

When ‘honesty’ is counterproductive

By Nestor Torre
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 20:08:00 01/28/2011

AFTER LEADING off with his headline-making “buena mano” interview with the Oprah Winfrey, CNN’s new nightly interview show host, Piers Morgan, lined up other attention-calling talkfests with “shock radio” maverick, Howard Stern, and other big-deal guests.

Alas, none of his followup interviews were able to rise to the level set by his much-publicized encounter with Oprah, during which she heaped praise on him for his “potential.”

So, what does this say about Morgan’s prospect as the host of a major talk show with “legs”? It shows that he can’t afford to relax, and that he must do each day’s show with focus and ferocity, as if it were his last.

Talk-show icon

Stern, who’s a talk-show icon in his own right, said it best when he agreed to talk to the new kid on the block: He warned Morgan that a great first week of shows was wonderful, but the real test of his talent and determination would be how he could still come up with great shows while interviewing less than wonderful and powerful people—like the Kardashians?

Morgan got on Oprah’s good side, because he adjusted his usually catty and cynical interviewing style for her benefit. With Stern and his other, subsequent guests, he sometimes went back to his bitchy style, and thus came off as less of a class act.

Yes, he was being truer to himself, but the “honesty” has turned out to be counterproductive.

For instance, in his panting quest for the steamily quotable quote, he asked Stern about the size of—ah, what the late Ishmael Bernal liked to refer to as “the scepter of a man’s manhood.”

Stern did play along and gave his eager interviewer the racy sound bites he wanted, but viewers could see that the “shock radio” icon was disappointed in this brash, new upstart, who was prepared to pollute the airwaves just to give his new career a yowling boost.

Morgan fared better later in the course of his first week on CNN, when he interviewed George Clooney and his newsman-dad. The show ended up as a memorable exchange of ideas, because Clooney chose to focus, not on his moviestar persona, but on his humanitarian initiatives in Sudan.

Questions

Morgan tried to get some fan-mag questions in, but the classy Clooneys smoothly parried off his tabloid-y thrusts. George had agreed to do the CNN interview to illuminate viewers about issues, not his stellar bedroom antics, so Morgan’s cheesy game was up.

Aside from Clooney’s fine showing, the interview was also distinguished by the great first-time look it provided into his similarly exceptional dad, Nick, who came across as an outstanding person in his own right.

Best of all, when George and his father interacted with one another, viewers were gifted with the great pleasure of seeing two generations interacting perfectly, heart to heart, leaving their interviewer holding the bag—and looking definitely like the odd man out.
PigLove
PigLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jan 2011, 18:49

I still think the interview was dull and focusless but I like what they say in your article, Piglove, about Nick & George. Their relationship is lovely.

It's way too early to judge Piers yet, he needs time to settle in. Be interesting to see how things are shaping up a couple of months from now. If he can rein in his ego and focus on getting good, interesting guests, I think he'll do well.

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 28 Jan 2011, 20:56

would like to talk to my father
today
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Fri 28 Jan 2011, 21:40

me too - miss him lots.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 28 Jan 2011, 21:51

15 years
in few months 16

and I began to lose him when I was more or less 25
he never got a real retirement
he was already sick
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Fri 28 Jan 2011, 23:27

15 years for me too - this month. Can't believe its 15 years.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 28 Jan 2011, 23:44

me neither
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 29 Jan 2011, 01:52

I wish I would have had that kind of relationship with my dad. He's been gone for 23 years, but our relationship was rocky at best.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Sat 29 Jan 2011, 03:04

Yes, definitely rocky. 5 years for me. Still working it out.

I wish I missed him like it's me and bluebelle. Envy! Smile
PigLove
PigLove

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 29 Jan 2011, 04:59

I never have mourned his death, nor do I think I ever will. However, I do envy both men and women who have or had a very loving relationship with their dads. I hope that George continues to enjoy his father for a long time to come and NEVER takes that relationship for granted.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 29 Jan 2011, 12:54

I'm sure he never does
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

George & Nick on Piers Morgan Tonight - Page 3 Empty Have we lost the art of the interview?

Post by Katiedot Thu 03 Feb 2011, 10:47

From The Independent

John Walsh: Have we lost the art of the good interview?

Thursday, 3 February 2011

The CNN commercial for Piers Morgan Tonight shows the great man standing, arms folded, face a-smirk, as a number of adjectives unfurl beside him: "Piers Morgan is Provocative," it promises. "Challenging. Fun. Pushing the Boundaries of the Interview ..." I've seen some of the daily shows and I'm not sure the final claim is justified. On Tuesday, he interviewed Tony Blair about Egypt. "If you were still prime minister," Morgan began, promisingly, "would you be calling on your friend Mubarak to resign and leave?" There followed a cloud of diplomatic persiflage from a furrow-browed Blair ("We're talking about a period of transition until the elections ... whatever happens, there's going to be a change") through which a Paxman or Humphrys would have sliced like a scimitar through jelly. Piers did nothing.

Speaking to a screen link of George Clooney the other night, he harried and intimidated the actor with such belligerent queries as: "Why wouldn't you think of running for the presidency?" Turning to Clooney's dad, who was in the discussion to bring added emollience, Piers asked: "This is a really double-edged question, but what's the proudest you've ever been of George? And what was the least proud?" Eliciting the controversial news that George's dad has always been "proud of George every day", Morgan went for the kill. "What's the naughtiest he's ever been?" Oh, he was very naughty when young, said his fond, snow-haired pop, "but he always made me laugh".

Some people may find this approach endearing rather than cringe-making, but it didn't do a lot to push the boundaries of the interview. Nor did his encounter with Ricky Gervais, fresh from his triumph at the Golden Globe awards, where he'd abused the leading lights of Hollywood. "You can wipe that smile off your face," he told Gervais as the latter took his seat. "You know what happens to naughty boys, don't you? They get a good spanking." Having convinced the watching (if rapidly dwindling) audience that British men were a bunch of overgrown schoolboys obsessed with bottoms and le vice Anglais, Morgan and Gervais embarked on a lengthy mutual smirkathon.

Ricky said he'd done nothing wrong. Piers asked him whether, having invited a hammerhead shark to dinner, the organisers should have been surprised when everyone got eaten. It wasn't exactly Torquemada. The more pretentious and silly Gervais became ("I think the art of comedy isn't to make people laugh, it's to make people think") the less disposed was Piers to confront him or to say: "What in the name of arse are you on about?"

I wouldn't be so critical, had I not recently been given the box set of the Face To Face BBC TV interviews with distinguished people, that ran from 1959 to 1962. They were all conducted by John Freeman, and are utterly brilliant. Freeman's face is never seen (though there are cutaway shots of the back of his head); his curious, reedy voice – alternating friendly and indulgent tones with rapid-fire bombardment – comes out of the dark and his questions, politely relentless, extract extraordinary responses from his lamp-lit guests.

Bertrand Russell, a leading light of CND when he was interviewed in 1959, blithely remarks that he would happily have dropped an atom bomb on the USSR in 1948, to avoid a larger nuclear confrontation. Dame Edith Evans, looking like an El Greco saint in a fur coat and a shaving-brush chignon, tries to stave off Freeman's probing about her unworldliness ("What do you like about the country?" "The quiet – and not being bothered by silly questions") but soon succumbs, revealing how excited she was to meet Marilyn Monroe, and assuring viewers that the lecherous drunkard Dylan Thomas was "very well behaved" in her company. Fancy that. By the end she's eating out of her tormentor's hand, even when he is so impertinent as to ask about her money and her unmarried state.

Under Freeman's sleek, provocative questioning, the comedian Tony Hancock quaked and floundered so much there was a public outcry. Asked what he was reading, the jack-the-lad pop star Adam Faith assured Freeman he was "just about to start" on Aldous Huxley, no, really I am...

Fifty years after these encounters were first broadcast, one can say: "Now that, Piers, is pushing the boundaries of an interview."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Thu 03 Feb 2011, 10:50

Besides George on his show I have no plans on suffering through another Piers interview. He basically asked the same questions over and over and I think he could have asked some better ones of Nick.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 03 Feb 2011, 13:57

Maybe he's just nervous,big time slot, big shoes to fill,as time goes on he might settle into it more.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 03 Feb 2011, 14:09

I don't know Lucy. I think he comes across as an arrogant baffoon (sp?).
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 03 Feb 2011, 14:22

I'd love to have had a dad like Nick...my dad left when I was 2 years old...I saw him once after that...I had two stepdads but they were never dads to me....
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Fri 04 Feb 2011, 10:06

Isn't that suppose to be part of his appeal{not to me)to his fan-base that arrogant tude?
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 04 Feb 2011, 16:02

I guess Lucy, but I just find him annoying!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 26 Aug 2012, 01:56

George's interview from last year's interview on you tube - full 59 minutes worth! Sorry it was embedded earlier but just revisiting the topic!

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 26 Aug 2012, 02:16

Yay George and Nick. I'm getting all verklempt tonight...
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3