George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know

+5
Joanna
caudata
lucy
Katiedot
watching
9 posters

Go down

Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  Empty Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know

Post by watching Sat 28 Apr 2012, 11:29

Thought this was an interesting benchmark. Any suggestions to be added to the lists??

Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know
Posted: 04/24/2012 11:43 am Updated: 04/24/2012 12:47 pm

In 1997, Glamour magazine published a story titled "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30." The list, written by Pamela Redmond Satran, was so popular that women started emailing it around, misattributing it to various female luminaries including Maya Angelou and Hillary Clinton. Noting what a phenomenon it had become, the editors of Glamour created a book around it, featuring essays from (mostly) famous women on each of the items on the list. The book, released today, includes meditations from Katie Couric on work and love, Portia de Rossi on accepting your body, and one from the list's original author, who is also a Huffington Post blogger, on how to live alone.

Because the list still makes us so, so happy, we asked Glamour's permission to reprint it here:

By 30, you should have ...

1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.

2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.

3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.

4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.

5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.

6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.

7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.

8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.

9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.

10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.

11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.

12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.

13. The belief that you deserve it.

14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.

15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.

By 30, you should know ...

1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.

2. How you feel about having kids.

3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.

4. When to try harder and when to walk away.

5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.

6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.

7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.

8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.

9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.

10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.

11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.

12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.

13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.

14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.

15. Why they say life begins at 30

Source
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  Empty Re: Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know

Post by Katiedot Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:12

I would only add this:

And the understanding that while you may think you've figured out these, you haven't:

1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.

2. How you feel about having kids.

4. When to try harder and when to walk away.

11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know  Empty Re: Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know

Post by lucy Sat 28 Apr 2012, 15:11

I would add
1. have your passport ready
2. know how to change your own flat tire.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by caudata Tue 08 May 2012, 18:39

Thanks for the list! I'll be turning 30 in a few months, so it was interesting to think about. While I know or have most of the things on the list, I do need to work on a few things:

First, I grew up with most of the furniture in my apartment. Although, I did build my book shelves and tv stand (from scratch and not a kit!). While they are not "decent", they haven't yet collapsed, and I enjoy them.

Second, the only dress in my closet, I wore at my high school graduation.

Third, my savings account is pathetic, but people don't go to grad school for a high salary.

Fourth, I need to stop apologizing for things that aren't my fault and worrying about things that I have no control over.

Finally, I've never given myself the chance to fall in love.
caudata
caudata
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 08 May 2012, 18:53

caudata...a little word of advice from your "gran" ! lol!

Number 4 on your list is the most important..... for your future peace of mind
and healthy body.... IMO
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Tue 08 May 2012, 19:13

When I turned 30 I knew what I had. A husband and 2 kids.

I should have known that getting married at a young age was a very, very wrong decision. I'd recommend for people to wait until they're well into their 30's and garner more maturity before deciding to tie the knot. For me that knot for me turned into a noose strangling me.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 08 May 2012, 19:50

I agree cindi about waiting longer to be married, more so today as we live a lot longer and it's almost an impossible idea that 2 people could live together for 60+ years without at least one person not having compromised.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 08 May 2012, 20:25

great pic Jo
thanks
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Wed 09 May 2012, 16:55

cindigirl wrote:When I turned 30 I knew what I had. A husband and 2 kids.

I should have known that getting married at a young age was a very, very wrong decision. I'd recommend for people to wait until they're well into their 30's and garner more maturity before deciding to tie the knot. For me that knot for me turned into a noose strangling me.

IMO, age has nothing to do with maturity. Even younger people who get married have a lifelong relationship, while there are older folks who get married and divorced over and over again, because they are not mature enough for the responsibilities of marriage. Wedding

Last edited by MM on Wed 09 May 2012, 18:56; edited 1 time in total
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle meyers Wed 09 May 2012, 17:08

cindigirl wrote:When I turned 30 I knew what I had. A husband and 2 kids.

yes i am feeling the same exact way. I married at 31 and that was waaaayyyy to soon for me. i don't know if it was my age or my maturity level at that time
Michelle meyers
Michelle meyers
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 09 May 2012, 19:47

From personal experience I'd say maturity is the main thing.... and wanting to get away from home too !
Then as you grow its often at a different rate and you
don't pull together any more.

Someone likened it to me like trying to control a team of horses pulling a stagecoach....
while they're going together at the same speed and keeping parallel everything's fine......then only one horse has to start pulling in a different direction or run at a different speed....
and the coach falls over !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by caudata Wed 09 May 2012, 20:47

Joanna wrote:caudata...a little word of advice from your "gran" ! lol!

Number 4 on your list is the most important..... for your future peace of mind
and healthy body.... IMO

Thanks Joanna!
caudata
caudata
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down