George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film

+20
MyGirlKylie
Duffy
dakota007
lolo"layla"
fluffy
macs
sadDonkey
melbert
Atalante
blubelle
zizi
lucy
Jazz After Dark
socimar
it's me
pattygirl
Cinderella
Wolfgang Gunnerson
cindigirl
Katiedot
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I thought Ides of March was:

The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_lcap34%The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 13 ]
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_lcap45%The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 17 ]
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_lcap21%The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 8 ]
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_lcap0%The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_lcap0%The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 38
Back

The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Empty The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film

Post by Katiedot Sat 08 Oct 2011, 16:57

For those lucky enough to have seen Ides of March already, let us know what you think and don't forget to vote.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Empty Re: The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film

Post by cindigirl Sat 08 Oct 2011, 17:33

I thought it was brilliant. The kind of movie I could see more than once.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film Empty Re: The Ides of March discussion for those who've seen the film

Post by Wolfgang Gunnerson Sat 08 Oct 2011, 17:53

Mostly a thriller set in a political scenario.
Loved it and I think he should get a nomination for best director.
His character is a bit of a villain, which is unusual for how he's normally typecast: gentleman rogue or even the affable buffoon (O Brother, Where Art Thou? & Burn After Reading).
I love you

Last edited by Wolfgang Gunnerson on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 21:06; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Hostile gnomes don't like trespassers in their forum. Too territorial.)

Wolfgang Gunnerson
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Sat 08 Oct 2011, 19:13

I agree with both the above… It makes you want to see it more than once because you feel as if there’s more behind the scenes that you didn’t pick up on the first time. Anyway that’s how it makes me feel. I will be watching it again! Since I’ve seen it once I can focus on the “background” this time.
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Sat 08 Oct 2011, 21:32

This is the third time I'm posting this because it just doesn't seem to be registering.
IOM is a great, suspenseful movie but I don't know if I'd class it really as a thriller, didn't send chills up my spine (except looking at George). It is a very well written and directed project. George and Grant outdid themselves with the script. George's directing was first rate. The acting-Ryan was super in his part and really "made" the movie, George was George, charming, smooth, charismatic but slightly evil. Philip and Paul both were dynamic in their parts, sometimes bombastic, and intense. Evan was very good as the "innocent" intern. Marisa was okay as the tough reporter. Jeffrey played his part with elegant cynicism. Everybody meshed together perfectly to fit the bill.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 08 Oct 2011, 22:35

thank you very much!
sadly I need to wait till december..... Sad
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by socimar Sat 08 Oct 2011, 22:40

Just saw the movie. Ryan outstanding performance. You could read the script in his eyes, definitely Oscar material. Clooney great as a director, but did not carry the movie as his character was supposed to do, he played the villain in the background. Marisa irriated me a bit, don't know why, probably because her character was not so likeable but so was Jeffrey's and he did a great job.
socimar
socimar
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfgang Gunnerson Sat 08 Oct 2011, 22:52

pattygirl wrote:This is the third time I'm posting this because it just doesn't seem to be registering.
IOM is a great, suspenseful movie but I don't know if I'd class it really as a thriller.....

Fair enough. But it's being billed as a political thriller all over the media. ImdB classify it as drama.
Definition of this genre:
study
A political thriller is a thriller that is set against the backdrop of a political power struggle. They usually involve various extra-legal plots, designed to give political power to someone, while his opponents try to stop him. They can involve national or international political scenarios. Political corruption."

In any case it's about moral consciousness set in a political backdrop.

Wolfgang Gunnerson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazz After Dark Sun 09 Oct 2011, 15:20

The directing was fluidly executed. Clooney at his best. Loud hailer

It's fast paced and the momentum builds up continuously until the turning point, whereupon Stephen Myers' (RG) conscience starts to increasingly preoccupy him.
Inner conflict and self-analysis dilemma are perfectly captured in his expressions. And in my opinion, Molly (ERW) was certainly tortured by her own.
And the governor?(GC) Crying or Very sad

The type of film you need to see a couple of times to fully grasp the concepts. And ponder on moral consciousness.
I'll see it again soon.
Great pool of talent. Supporting cast were all brilliant.
Apparently it's showing in almost half the theaters as the other new release (which doesn't have an R rating like IOM), but seems to be doing quite well.
Jazz After Dark
Jazz After Dark
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 09 Oct 2011, 22:57

Lots of happy very good!!!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Mon 10 Oct 2011, 05:31

Saw it today, loved the story, characters, actors, RG stole the movie but then he was lucky to play Steven. Agree with everyone who thinks it is one of those films that the more you watch the more you learn. Wish it would of been a little faster paced, for me it was a bit slow.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Mon 10 Oct 2011, 07:00

Thank you Lucy, I have to go and see it ASAP Wink

zizi
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by socimar Mon 10 Oct 2011, 13:48

A link to the Style page of today's The Washington Post. It's a review of the movie by Joe Trippi whose characted is played by Philip Seymor Hoffman in the movie (Grant Heslov asked him to be a consultant).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
socimar
socimar
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Mon 10 Oct 2011, 14:10

Thanks, Socimar! Give Flowers2
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Tue 11 Oct 2011, 17:13

I saw IOM yesterday and thought the film was fantastic! The acting made the movie. I have read several of the critical reviews of the film and most of them anger me. They seem very picky and I wonder if certain critics have an ax to grind. So few films are made today for a mature audience(I don't mean old in age) that likes to discuss and debate the message. I didn't like Leatherheads, and thought GNGL was excellent. I wondered how this would compare and it is absolutely in the plus column.

Prior to the film there was a trailer for TD. It looks like it is one of the best acted roles he has done. He physically has shed he sexy man image and in the clips looks very dad like.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 11 Oct 2011, 17:28

fantastic!!!!

it also seems to have legs....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 11 Oct 2011, 20:38

So when in Belgium ?
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 12 Oct 2011, 01:19

Sorry Atalante, it doesn't list Belgium.

Country Date
Italy 31 August 2011
(Venice Film Festival) (premiere)

Canada 9 September 2011
(Toronto International Film Festival)

Greece 23 September 2011
(Athens Film Festival)

Brazil 6 October 2011
(Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival)

Canada 7 October 2011

USA 7 October 2011

Greece 13 October 2011

Netherlands 20 October 2011

France 26 October 2011

Ireland 28 October 2011

UK 28 October 2011

Singapore 3 November 2011

Sweden 4 November 2011

Portugal 10 November 2011

Finland 11 November 2011

Germany 22 December 2011

Italy 28 December 2011

Hungary 5 January 2012

Russia 14 February 2012
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 13 Oct 2011, 17:14

Italy 28 December 2011

Sad

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by sadDonkey Thu 13 Oct 2011, 21:00

I thougt I´m the only one who has to wait ages ...

I probably can´t vote before January

Shortly before christmas and new year is not a good timing to release a film

sadDonkey
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Location : Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, ...

Back to top Go down

Post by macs Tue 25 Oct 2011, 18:51

Finally saw it ! really enjoyed it, a very good movie. I'll probably see it a second time, and judge then if I'll buy the DVD and if it reaches my movie collection.
I was really surprised how short and fast it was. Makes the end even more quick and "brutal" - loved how it ended so openly, and the time length of the movie made it even more effective IMO. I kind of like all the characters and would have enjoyed seeing more of them, but I get the point it's time-framed around a short election day.
I read the good but not great reviews so my expectations were not that big. I kind of agree with them, it could be better probably (can always be) but I feel that it's a movie that could grow old very well (like you could enjoy it even more in a few years... since it's short and fast maybe not everything registers with you at first, but you could mature into it)
by the way that's only the second movie (after drive) I see with Ryan Gosling, and I really see why they talk about that guy so much, I'm liking him a lot by now
macs
macs
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Tue 25 Oct 2011, 19:09

It is the type of movie that has a timeless quality about it. This type of thing has been happening for eons and will continue to happen as long as politics exist. Even the "inevitability" of the Man and the Intern has been around for a very long time, and covers all segments of the population, not just in the US, but wherever political manipulation exists (and where doesn't it).
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Tue 25 Oct 2011, 19:33

I want to see it again, but may wait to buy DVD for my collection, I always enjoy watching films in my living room over theater.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Tue 25 Oct 2011, 19:42

You're right, I think watching DVDs at home are more comfortable than going to the theater. Plus, you can watch it as many times as you want. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 25 Oct 2011, 23:11

cindigirl wrote:You're right, I think watching DVDs at home are more comfortable than going to the theater. Plus, you can watch it as many times as you want. LOL

right

who with?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 13:41

I saw the film this last weekend, not Oscar worthy I'm afraid but a valiant effort. Overall a "B".

I thought Ryan was very good, having never seen him before, he carried the film well. The Molly character could have been better used, given a more interesting line to follow with additional twists, but maybe next time eh George?? I did like the references to Kentucky and how some people in the film would end up in Farragut North after the election! Nice touch!! George looked mighty fine, acting good, but not overboard, good as an electee (skuldugery, slimey.....). I did like some of the directoral shots which were arty and well placed, I noticed George directed, Grant produced, they didn't swop/share. Also I liked the musical score, it was done by the London Philarmonic @ Abbey road, so was George there during his stay here?? Also Waldo was described as "hairdresser" in general. Demotion?? Maybe promotion since he had the whole cast!! And Angel still assists Mr C! Overall a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon, but won't be in a hurry to buy the DVD, I shall wait for my Christmas list. I think the Decendants will be a better film, more fitting to George's style n genre! Laughing
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 02 Nov 2011, 01:24

Thanks Fluffy! I still haven't seen it yet, but I'm cheating and coming to this thread and reading what others think. I don't do theaters well, so I may just wait for my DVD.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Wed 02 Nov 2011, 01:36

every one on twitter saw the film say good things most of them girls but there is guys too.

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 02 Nov 2011, 06:20

I'm happy for him!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by dakota007 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 09:52

it is a great year for him!!
dakota007
dakota007
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Duffy Wed 02 Nov 2011, 15:13

I think my favourite scene was Ryan and George going toe-to-toe in the restaurant kitchen, neither one of them giving an inch in their argument. Don't think that scene is in any of the trailers that have been released to date, but to me, that was one of the best points in the whole film. I think all the actors did an amazing job, but Ryan was outstanding. And like Fluffy, I think the Molly character was under-used. Evan's a great actress and it would have been nice to see her storyline explored further. It was a solid directing effort from George. I think he's really getting stronger/better as a director with each film he does - can only imagine what he'll be like in another 10 years!

Duffy

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Wed 02 Nov 2011, 16:46

Duffy, that kitchen scene was used with the word "you fixed things" which George said in the trailers I've seen. Oops! I'm getting nerdy!!
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by sadDonkey Sun 29 Jan 2012, 17:17

Oh, I forgot about this one. In the poll above I just voted very good.
George is a good filmmaker. I liked IOM. His acting performace was also very good, I hated his character so much. Too bad it didn't get a nomination for best picture.

sadDonkey
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Location : Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 29 Jan 2012, 17:21

i still ponder on the final scene. Can't decide whether he spills the beans to the TV interviewer or keeps stumm.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 29 Jan 2012, 17:30

Ha, maybe it's setting up for a 'sequel?'
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Sun 29 Jan 2012, 17:40

cindigirl wrote:Ha, maybe it's setting up for a 'sequel?'

I thought the same thing... scratch
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 29 Jan 2012, 19:30

"Mr. Morris Goes To Washington"?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 07 Mar 2012, 23:55

Just watched my Blu-ray copy of IOM and thought it was brilliant.
Script excellent, lighting excellent and all the actors very convincing in their roles. Ryan was riveting to watch as his character evolved.
George was professional as ever, both in acting and directing.
I found his performance more absorbing in The Descendants,
but of course he had more to do in that film compared to this one.
I'll certainly watch it again, with his & Grant's commentary
on next time.
Again, as with most of George's films that I watch, I learned a lot.
He never does a bad film.....not even a mediocre one IMO !

Did anyone else notice the weird thing with the glove on Ryan's shoulder in chapter 13 ??? I'm really curious about that.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 07 Mar 2012, 23:57

Katiedot wrote:i still ponder on the final scene. Can't decide whether he spills the beans to the TV interviewer or keeps stumm.

I don't think he would....it was a good ace up his sleeve
for his career.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Astras Thu 08 Mar 2012, 06:23

I'm going to shamelessly name drop here and mention again *cough* that George told me he had a blast making this film. Razz

Anyway, it's been a few months since I've seen the film, but it's definitely worth a re-watch on my part. What it really boils down to is *stay away from those damn interns*. Laughing

Seriously though, the main focus of the story was Ryan's Gosling's character - the ambitious, smart, idealist out to change the world; and the crushing realization of just how seedy, sleezy and sordid politics has become - as he discovers his falling idol (Gov. Ryan) is not the moral man neither he or we imagined. I thought the film did a superb job of painting the current political landscape; and is incredibly relevant. Kudos to Grant and George for capturing a glimpse of the behind the scenes election process; and for reminding us that this process comes at a heavy cost to those who play. The story was tight, absorbing and ultimately depressing. Getting someone elected president in this country has become a brutal sport - won by more money than any of us can possibly fathom, and played by people whose conscious blows back and forth between the latest poll numbers. Ultimately, Ryan Gosling's idealist was forced to play dirty pool. And play it well he did.

I think IOM is yet another gem in George's expanding jewel box of excellent films. He's become one of Hollywood's most interesting and important filmmakers. Now, if only more people would go see them...
Astras
Astras
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Thu 08 Mar 2012, 15:45

I agree with you Astras. It seems unless something gets blown or eaten by goolies the box office is quiet. I guess I'm not a main stream movie goer. I like films that make you think and try to say something. Keep em coming G, there are still some of us out there.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 08 Mar 2012, 16:02

I don't go to the movies much, prefer to wait and watch from home. This past year I went 5 times for IOM, TD, and TTSS,Drive, MI. He does make good films, next Tuesday I'll be buying one more for my collection, and I can't wait to see it for the second time.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 08 Mar 2012, 17:44

Please look out for "the glove on Ryan's shoulder"
in chapter 13. It was a very strange happening.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Thu 08 Mar 2012, 17:48

Joanna, I watched IOM a few days ago in DVD and when you say "chapter 13" do you mean on the scene selections? I'll have to watch it again tonight to see what you mean by the glove on Ryan's shoulder.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 08 Mar 2012, 18:06

Yes that's right cindi, around 2 or 3 minutes into that chapter 13.....
It happens when Ryan is asking for a job with the other man....
CRS time, already....LOL
Ryan's facing camera and a black glove appears on his left shoulder and falls off, right shoulder to us, and as he's talking he just looks at it and carries on.
Maybe it's an out take that's been wrongly edited in ????
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Thu 08 Mar 2012, 18:12

I'll watch it again tonight on scene selection.

George wrongly editing? No! GAH He's really a pefectionist. Although listening to the commntary it seems he forgot a lot of the scene locations, Grant had to correct him. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 08 Mar 2012, 18:23

Maybe I have the only copy with "The Glove" and it's worth £100000000000000's ???? Yahooooo
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 08 Mar 2012, 20:54

This is interesting...sorry it it's posted elsewhere already.

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 09 Mar 2012, 02:12

Isn't he just the cutest little bug??!! Thanks Joanna for posting this!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 25 Mar 2012, 17:42

I've also moved this into the 'old' films section.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next