George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Book Recommendations?? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Book Recommendations?? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Book Recommendations?? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Book Recommendations?? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Book Recommendations?? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Book Recommendations?? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Book Recommendations?? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Book Recommendations?? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Book Recommendations?? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Book Recommendations??

+2
macs
sandwiches
6 posters

Go down

Book Recommendations?? Empty Book Recommendations??

Post by sandwiches Mon 19 Sep 2011, 17:52

I didn't notice any book threads here. I read a LOT and am proud of being a book geek. Very Happy My lovely husband got me a Kindle for my birthday and I have been busy filling it up and I am looking for some new book ideas.

I just finished We Need To Talk About Kevin. Bloody disturbing, and very good. I usually read authors like Ken Follett, Dennis Lehane, Elmore Leonard, Christopher Moore, Carl Hiaasen, etc. but I'm always willing to try almost any kind of book (not much of a romantic 'chick book' fan).

So, if you have read a good/great book let's hear it. Thanks! Cool
sandwiches
sandwiches
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations?? Empty Re: Book Recommendations??

Post by macs Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:03

Sandwiches, you live in Canada ? Have you read Life of Pi by canadian author Yann Martel. If I remember well it garnered a few litterary prizes so maybe you already know about it. Anyway I loved that book, give it a try if you haven't yet (see if it's you cup of tea).
(i'm a bookworm as well, love Elmore Leonard !)
macs
macs

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:08

Oooh, a fellow kindler! I download tons of stuff onto mine but been going through a dry patch at the moment.

Have you read The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? Ignore the gushy film, the book is fab. Also anything by Neil Gaiman.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:25

I am in Canada but have not read that book. I will add it to my list.

I did read Time Traveller's Wife and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I haven't read any Neil Gaiman but I did see the movie Coraline and liked it. He is also added to my book list.

A few books I recently read:
World War Z - very good if you like zombie books/movies.
Bossypants - Tina Fey is one funny woman.
Divergient - A 'kids' book and is much like the Hunger Games series but it is written differently. I enjoyed it and looking forward to the next book.
Art of Racing in the Rain - I enjoyed this one quite a bit, from the point of view of a dog (a smart dog lol!).

Thanks for the recommendations! Keep 'em coming!

sandwiches
sandwiches

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:26

My favorite books are the Janet Evanovich-Stephanie Plum novels. They never fail to make me laugh. Don't know if anybody is familiar with her, she's a bounty hunter from New Jersey, has a hot boyfriend and co-worker and gets into all kinds of trouble.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 19 Sep 2011, 19:40

My daughter got me a Nook for my Bday. It's a godsend. Love to read, have a couple of hundred paperbacks in my favorite genre, Fantasy - you know, magic, elves, dragons and stuff like that. Loved he Harry Potter series, have read it through about half a dozen times. Well, can't really hold the books for too long, terrible arthritis in my hands, just at base of thumbs. Nook is great. Enjoyed Monster of Florence, A Private Gentleman, The Descendants, all good reads.
As I said most of my reads are fantasy-fiction and most of my purchases were made through Barnes & Noble. When I registered my Nook, all books that I'd purchased in last 18 mo. that were also ebooks were transferred to my Nook library.
Now I'm in the process of packing up all my books and sending them to my granddaughter in NM who likes the same type of books I do and just devours books. She's 22 but reads constantly in her spare time (she's in college). If anybody's interested, I also have a couple of hundred paperbacks that are mysteries, or military backgrounds. My husband was also a "reader" and that was his type of book. Would gladly send a bunch to anyone interested. Let me know.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Sep 2011, 19:41

Right now I’m in the process of reading three books… One of the books is An Echo In the Darkness by Francine Rivers. It’s the second book in the Mark of The Lion series. It’s very good! Here’s an excerpt about Book one and the second one… there's a third book, too.

A Voice In The Wind - “The city was silently bloating in the hot sun, rotting like the thousands of bodies that lay where they had fallen in street battles.” With this opening sentence, A Voice in the Wind transports readers back to Jerusalem during the first Jewish-Roman War, some seventy years after the death of Christ. Following the prides and passions of a group of Jews, Romans and Barbarians living at the time of the siege, the narrative is centered on an ill-fated romance between a steadfast slave girl, Hadassah, and Marcus, the brother of her owner and a handsome aristocrat. After surviving the massacre of her family and the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans, Hadassah is captured and sold to a well-to-do merchant’s family. Brought to Rome, she is pressed into service as a personal slave to hedonistic Julia Valerian. Hadassah struggles to walk in the footsteps of Jesus and to treat her masters in a manner in keeping with His teachings, but she is forced to keep her religious identity a secret in order to survive. Confused and alone, she has only her faith to cling to as she tries to subtly bring God into the lives of her captors. Reckless, impulsive, and villainous, Julia tries to undermine Hadassah at every turn. But Julia’s brother, Marcus, is a different sort altogether. Is it possible for a love between Hadassah and Marcus to flourish considering not only their differing stations in life, but also the gap between Hadassah’s unrelenting faith and Marcus’ lack of belief in anything? Simultaneously, Atretes, a captured soldier from Germania, is forced to become a gladiator. This is the time of Rome's decline and the decadence of a civilization on the verge of self-destruction serves as a powerful backdrop to the Barbarian’s struggle for survival in the arena.

An Echo In The Darkness - Book 2 in the Mark of the Lion series, An Echo in the Darkness picks up where A Voice in the Wind leaves off. A year has passed and Hadassah has donned veils to protect her identity as well as the scars that now mark her body. Believed dead, Hadassah finds employment helping a doctor in the poor section of the city and develops a knack for healing through the power of her faith. When Julia falls ill, Hadassah is forced to confront another difficult decision: should she return to the Valerian household, risking exposure and death, to help her former tormentor in the Christian tradition? The flame between Hadassah and Marcus is ultimately rekindled, though Marcus continues to search for meaning and faith. Turning away from the opulence of Rome, Marcus is led by a whispering voice from the past into a journey that could set him free from the darkness of his soul. Will he find God and spiritual fulfillment, becoming the man Hadassah knows he can be?

As Sure As The Dawn – is the third book. You can read it all at this link:
LINK

The other two books that I’m reading are on the serious side of issues facing today’s world.

Last edited by Cinderella on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 19:43; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 19 Sep 2011, 19:45

Sounds like a grea series, Cindy. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Got 2 more books to add to my recommends - Up In The Air, also Jerry Weintraub's book, When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Mon 19 Sep 2011, 21:48

Cindigirl: I have her first book but haven't started it yet. Maybe I'll read it now since I need something light after reading We Need To Talk About Kevin, which was anything but light.

Cinderella: Sounds like a very interesting series.

Pattygirl: i love the title When I Stop Talking You'll Know I'm Dead. Laughing

All have been added to my list. Thanks ladies!

sandwiches
sandwiches

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 19 Sep 2011, 23:46

Cindy, just downloaded the series. Will start as soon as I finish series I'm reading now . Almost done with book 6, Book 7 is the finale.

Sandwiches, JW writes of funny book, all true, about him and his life, and doesn't sugarcoat anything. Funny as hell. There are some Georgeisms to enjoy.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny Tue 20 Sep 2011, 02:17

I love the Eyre Affair by jasper FForde. Its part of the Thursday Next series. It is about an alternate reality where there is time travel and people can visit the book world. Thursday is a literary detective and goes into Jane Eyre looking for an escaped killer. I loved Jane Eyre so this book was just amazing to me. The whole series is a lot of fun.
bunny
bunny
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny Tue 20 Sep 2011, 02:22

The Baroque Cycle Series by Neal Stephenson is also very good.

Quicksilver is the first book - its set in the late 17 early 18 century. Its a little slow to start but gets very interesting.
bunny
bunny
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down