George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish

+5
Charley
it's me
pattygirl
cindigirl
Katiedot
9 posters

Go down

Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish Empty Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish

Post by Katiedot Wed 17 Aug 2011, 13:36

Ah, more research.

From iol lifestyle

Beauty, it seems, is only skin deep...

August 16 2011 at 08:42pm

By PAUL SIMS

The likes of George Clooney and Natalie Portman aren't that perfect after all.

But the likes of George Clooney and Natalie Portman aren’t that perfect after all. Beauty, it seems, is only skin deep...

Researchers found that those with symmetrical facial features, regarded by many as the more attractive, are significantly more selfish than us “mere mortals”.

They were less likely to co-operate in pursuit of the greater good and more likely to feather their own nests.

In part of the study, participants could choose to be a “dove”, co-operating with others for shared benefit, or take on the role of a “hawk”. As “hawks” they would gain more if the other participant chose to be a “dove”.

Scientists then analysed their faces and found those with more symmetrical facial features were more inclined to be hawks.

“As people with symmetrical faces tend to be healthier and more attractive, they are also more self-sufficient and have less of an incentive to co-operate and seek help from others,” the study reported.

The team also examined the facial features of 292 people aged 83 who took part in the Lothian Birth Cohort 1921, a study that has followed the participants throughout their life.

They analysed 15 facial “landmarks” and found that those with asymmetrical faces were less healthy and more likely to have had deprived childhoods.

A lack of nutrition, illness, exposure to cigarette smoke and pollution, all left their mark. Deep lines across their faces and weather-beaten skin were instant giveaways about their hard lives.

But whilst there was a strong link between social class and facial symmetry in men, the connection in women was less clear. Professor Ian Deary, from the department of psychology at the University of Edinburgh’s Centre for Cognitive Ageing, said: “Facial symmetry is a marker of developmental stability: the body’s ability to withstand environmental stressors and not be knocked off its developmental path.

“The results indicated that it is deprivation in early life that leaves some impression on the face.” - Daily Mail
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish Empty Re: Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish

Post by cindigirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 13:47

Katie quote:
In part of the study, participants could choose to be a “dove”, co-operating with others for shared benefit, or take on the role of a “hawk”. As “hawks” they would gain more if the other participant chose to be a “dove”.

There was a news story on tv the other night about who is inclined to get ahead in business and life, the "doves" passive or "hawks" aggressive people. It was proven that the doves, the more agreeable people were more likely to earn less money and less respect than the aggressive hawks.

It kind of proves Leo Durocher's theory "nice guys finish last." LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish Empty Re: Beauty is only skin deep - George may be pretty but also selfish

Post by pattygirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 13:57

And this is a bad thing? Of course, we can punch numerous holes in this study. I like the part where they examined faces on 292 people aged 83 and found those w/asymmetrical faces less healthy. They cited various reasons. These people went through the Depression and WWII. Of course lack of nutrition comes into play. No one who has reached 83 yrs of age hasn't experienced illness, cigarette smoke and pollution. How many people of that age do you see with smooth, soft unwrinkled skin.
George, because of "facial semmetry is"develoipmental stable" and can withstand environmental stressors and stay on develpmental path. It's so good to know that our man is okay and going to remain so. Also because of his "beauty" we can know that he wasn't deprived in his early life. Don't think he's deprived in his present life either.

We know also that he is no dove. He is definitely a hawk, relentless in his pursuits, tenacsious (sic), and definitely brilliant in his business moves.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 17 Aug 2011, 14:13

hawk
sometimes dove
IMO
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 14:30

Hawk during the day, dove at night? LOL Just kidding!!!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 14:36

Nah! I think he is actually a "hawkish dove", agressive yet soft and gentle while being so. He rules with a velvet glove- especially in bedroom. Don't take sh*t from any woman for long.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Charley Wed 17 Aug 2011, 14:55

pattygirl wrote:And this is a bad thing? Of course, we can punch numerous holes in this study. I like the part where they examined faces on 292 people aged 83 and found those w/asymmetrical faces less healthy. They cited various reasons. These people went through the Depression and WWII. Of course lack of nutrition comes into play. No one who has reached 83 yrs of age hasn't experienced illness, cigarette smoke and pollution. How many people of that age do you see with smooth, soft unwrinkled skin.

Well, they say there is always an exception to the rule - my mother was one. Deprived childhood, lack of nutrition - she did it tough in so many ways, but had the most gloriously smooth unlined face. She looked at least 15 years younger than her chronological age. And before you all ask what her secret was, she only ever used (the original) Oil of Olay!
Charley
Charley
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:12

Yeah, my mom was like that too. Her secret was Ivory Soap, 99/100
% pure. Can't get much more low cost than that for beauty. (and she smoked when she was younger - gave it up when cigarettes went to 50 cents a pack - wouldn't pay it. Went from 2 pk. a day to 0 cold turkey. It was great.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:19

Your mother went from 2 packs a day to 0. I wish someone would give me the secret formula for quitting smoking. I smoke around 12 cigarettes a day and am desperately trying to quit "cold turkey." Smoking is evil and more than just a bad habit. It's an addiciton.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:29

cindigirl wrote:Your mother went from 2 packs a day to 0. I wish someone would give me the secret formula for quitting smoking. I smoke around 12 cigarettes a day and am desperately trying to quit "cold turkey." Smoking is evil and more than just a bad habit. It's an addiciton.

Mom was a strong willed person and just didn't want to pay the monetary cost. I guess that was her secret formula- $.50 was too much for her. What are you paying now?
She started in her early 20's and quit when she was 56. I hated when she (and my father, too) smoked. Could never stand the smell and the dirty ashtrays.

As you can tell by what I said, I'm a non-smoker, never tried it even when dared by friends as a teenager. One reason I give for that is my mother gave me permission to smoke at home (not outside) so it wasn't a "forbidden pleasure" as it was for my girlfriends at 13 & 14.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:35

Patty, cigarettes are $6.00/pack now. Your mother quit cold turkey after 30 or so years? Wow. Now I'm inspired. When I started smoking it was the "cool" thing to do. The Surgeon General did not say it was harmful to your health then. Where was he when I needed him?
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Charley Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:46

$6.00? Wow - in Oz they're $10-$12 a pack (although some packs are 30 I think - don't know for sure because I don't smoke myself). Not only harmful to your health, it's REALLY harmful to your wallet!!!!!!!!!!
Charley
Charley
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:49

Cindigirl, nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs IMO, you can quit the tough part is getting through the habits you develop. Such as first cup of coffee with a cigarette etc. Once you make it through that which is mental, than it's getting through the physical cravings which took me about a year and a half before I stopped having them, they would sometimes last for minutes through out the day or just seconds and then be gone, Your life is so much better as a non-smoker, it's worth it to quit, think of all the money you can save, you'll be able to breath better, you will smell great instead of perfume de ashtray!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Wed 17 Aug 2011, 15:58

Cindigirl, do you work out? If not, start. You'll quit smoking soon after when you realize that you can't breathe.

sandwiches
sandwiches
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:02

Lucy, thanks for that. You're right. I'm going to try though.

Charley, $10-12 a pack in Oz? Good grief. And I thought NJ taxes were high.
cyclops
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:14

cindigirl wrote:Lucy, thanks for that. You're right. I'm going to try though.

Charley, $10-12 a pack in Oz? Good grief. And I thought NJ taxes were high.
cyclops

I think NY's are even higher and they keep raising them. I think we're between $9 & 10 right now (not sure cause I don't smoke-just read papers). Cindi do you realize you smoke over 200 packs a yr. If you stopped, you'd save at todays prices over $1200. a yr. That could be a start. Then there's the "feel good and smell good" aspect. Have one girlfriend who smokes at least 2 pks a day - I can't go to her house, and if we go out for lunch, I find it hard to be too close to her as she reeks of that dirty ashtray odor. Please do it for yourself and your family.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:25

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints and advice. I'm going to try now!!!

I think I led everyone off topic, sorry.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:27

I started smoking in high school. I thought it was cool. My folks didn't smoke and I hid it from them but I think they knew. Nicotine IS one of the most addictive drugs and that's what the cigarette makers count on. The day the Surgeon General made that statement he was smoking. A friend was at that meeting. I stopped cold turkey but years later. I had to. I was in the hospital. There is a better way to stop, but it is very hard.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Sun 21 Aug 2011, 08:16

My aunt quit after many years by starting a journal and writing down everything she did BEFORE she had a cigarette. This allowed her to flag her cigarette triggers, and once she knew this, she would make herself wait 15 min after a "flag" (like after a meal) before she would allow herself to smoke. She would do this for two weeks, and then the next two weeks she went 20 min before having a smoke. Every two weeks she prolonged it by 5 mon and pretty soon she didnt have the cigarette triggers anymore, so she stopped cold turkey. Took her two months to completely stop. Hope this made sense
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Sun 21 Aug 2011, 08:17

If I have so much as one cigarette (I tried to be cool once) I loose my voice for hours. So I am not one who could ever smoke!
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Sun 21 Aug 2011, 14:36

Playful, of course it made sense. Anything that can possibly help someone who wants to stop, stop makes sense.

Glad you decided you'd rather be heard than be cool. I believe it's a tough habit to shake and great not to have to even try.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down