George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 7

+6
Donnamarie
party animal - not!
ladybugcngc
Way2Old4Dis
carolhathaway
LizzyNY
10 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 7

Post by LizzyNY Fri 16 Nov 2018, 18:04

Looks like the courts are going to uphold CNN's case. That doesn't mean anyone from CNN will ever be called on again at a press conference. Maybe the answer is for the media to only publish actual hard news about drumpf - the things he actually does related to his job. (Policy, enacted legislation, foreign relations events) No tweets, no puff pieces about the family and - above all - NO PHOTOS!

What drumpf looks like certainly isn't hard news. Besides, we all already know what he looks like. It's unfair to those of us who catch up on the news over breakfast to have to see that face while we're trying to eat. Evil or Very Mad
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 16 Nov 2018, 18:32

Lol , handsome he is not.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sat 17 Nov 2018, 00:27

ACOSTA FOR 2020....

I think I’ll have to sign up to various news sites .... WWHSsays.... ACOSTA FOR 2020....

Somebody has to get The Party started ....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 17 Nov 2018, 22:05

PAN, what the heck is going on in the UK with Brexit?    Some stories I read say the Parliment is in chaos over how May is going ahead with final prep.  Then I heard Piers Morgan say on a cable news show that May could be on her way out.  What say you?  Are most people feeling confident about separating from the EU?  Or do they feel that May isn’t separating enough?  Seems the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border under Brexit is proving to be a challenge in the negotiations.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 17 Nov 2018, 23:47

Really good question, Donnamarie. How long have you got?!

We are at the endgame i.e. the deadline for UK/EU first agreement and two years down the line from the referendum.

You may not remember (and who can blame you?) that this all started when David Cameron was negotiating immigration figures with the EU (an unelected body of high level civil servants who have had previous political experience representing 29 countries which has made many laws since its inception 40 odd years ago). It all started post war to help Germany and France post war and help trade and called the Common Market.

Cameron called a referendum - and then resigned becos he's a Remainer. May was elected and with Boris Johnson (who was Brexit Man) etc set about carrying out what the British people voted for. May has been badly let down by Johnson and two others who've resigned and left her to follow through with it all.

At the mo, she's pretty amazing (despite suffering from diabetes) and I'm not sure how she sleeps at night!

I don't think the British had any concept of what was involved i e Article 50, trade agreements and the implications of customs etc. They just thought it would happen overnight and most just want the government to get on with it- which May is trying to do.

The EU don't want it to happen - they will miss our financial contribution! We were one of only two who coughed up on time and the EU officials are worried about their jobs and the EU falling apart. Italy is not far from doing this - I understand that having provided Merkel with landing for the million or so refugees they now find them being sent back to Italy the minute they are unemployed in Germany!

If the Labour Party here got in, it would be equally dangerous - they are massively influenced by a young group called Momentum many of whom have Marxist tendencies - but they don't want another referendum which the Remainers - mainly University educated, young and left wing - do want.

The irony in all this is that our economy is doing really well and certainly a lot better than the EU.

Interestingly enough I hear there's an article in the NYT today entitled 'Is Merkel responsible for Brexit' - something I've wondered about for some time given that she acted unilaterally in accepting almost a million refugees.

Of course that's nothing in comparison to Jordan (5 million) and Lebanon (6).

Ah, Ireland. Yep, sometimes I wonder if Northern Ireland wants it both ways - but I can't remember which way they voted. Oh, and Piers Morgan is Piers Morgan - a Trump friend and a Remainer.

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 18 Nov 2018, 01:30

Thanks for the background PAN.  I do remember that Cameron started it all (a Pandora’s box) and then bowed out after the vote.  Understandably.  But what a mess was left for Theresa May.  Wasn’t she originally a Remainer?  Seems that the current exit strategy involves some soft trade deals with EU and that is not what the strict Bexit supporters want?  Big concern for Ireland is reverting back to a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.  My daughter was recently on vacation in Ireland.  Loved it.  Drove between both and a border was hardly noticeable.  

The thing about Merkel is I think she did the right thing by taking in multitudes of refugees.  I think it’s incredibly important for Democratic societies to be leaders in the world and practice the humanity that they preach.  I wonder how long ago this nationalist frenzy started to rear its ugly head.  Was it during the time of Syrian refugees making their way into Europe?  Maybe on some level Merkel was responsible but I still think she did the right thing.  I’m concerned with Merkel leaving who will be elected in her place.  Will Germany follow in Italy’s footsteps.  Hungary has.  France almost did.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 18 Nov 2018, 02:04

In 1998 we had Bill Clinton up all night sorting out the Good Friday Agreement....

In 2018, now this agreement holds sway over Brexit... where are The Americans..... Well we DON’T want Twump....

Maybe you could send JIM ACOSTA....Embarassed

(ACOSTA FOR 2020!) An aside, can’t help myself... smitten....

PAN... the North voted to stay... 

You cannot even imagine the carnage that would follow a Boarder on the North.... this would be an excuse for wholesale slaughter.... far worse than we ever saw in 70-90.... things have moved on and an appetite for savagery has come about via M.E....  don’t think for a minute this would be contained in the North...  this would, as it was before, be played out on the streets of Birmingham Guildford and London all over U.K. ...

WE CANNOT RISK GOING BACK TO THAT.....

Maybe we should bring the major players of the agreement that has bought us to this point back into the Arena: Clinton Ahern Mitchell Blair - ( Tony, even though he had other/secondary  agendas) ......
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 18 Nov 2018, 11:28

Oh you're absolutely right, Donnamarie, it was a brilliant act of kindness. But there was no agreement with the EU attached to it, and the situation was made worse by the fact the EU were well aware of the refugee situation as far back as 2011 - and sat on their hands.

Here in Britain there are many national newspapers with a lot of international news and most people have an opinion!

The refugee crisis or people just looking for a better way of life will go on and on. The numbers from Africa alone of young  people without employment run into the 70 millions, and I think investment there has to be the key. If you hand people just a little bit of technology they can instantly see where it's better and how easy it is to travel...........

But that's just my opinion.............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 18 Nov 2018, 13:55

PAN - If only technology was the answer...If we don't deal with the effects of climate change in a lot of these areas people will still be forced to look for other places to live.

IMO, the responsibility falls mostly on the leadership of the countries these people are fleeing. They need to invest in their people instead of lining their own pockets. With the best will in the world, the rest of us cannot absorb so much of the population of the southern hemisphere. We don't have the resources. Finding ways to make these countries livable, with sustainable economies is the only answer.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 18 Nov 2018, 15:29

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6403013/Trump-says-good-time-government-shutdown-border-funding.html

[size=34]Donald Trump says it will be a 'good time' to shut down the federal government if Congress doesn't give him the $5billion he's asked for to build the Mexico border wall[/size]

• President Trump suggested he would be prepared to shut down the government next month

• Trump said it would be a 'good time' to shut it down if Congress doesn't give him the funding to build the Mexican border wall 

• The President has asked for $5 billion to build the border wall

• Trump said the 5,800 military troops deployed to the U.S. border will remain there for 'as long as necessary' 

By EMILY CRANE FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 09:56 EST, 18 November 2018 | UPDATED: 10:14 EST, 18 November 2018

President Donald Trump has said it will be a 'good time' to shut down the federal government if Congress doesn't give him the funding to build the wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.
Speaking at the White House on Saturday before flying to California, Trump suggested that he would be prepared to shut down the government next month.
'I think probably, if I was ever going to do a shutdown over border security, when you look at the caravans, when you look at the mess, when you look at the people coming in, this would be a very good time to do a shutdown,' Trump said. 
Trump has asked for $5 billion to build the border wall, which was a key promise to voters during his election campaign.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6341884-0-image-a-33_1542553387432

+3

Speaking at the White House on Saturday before flying to California, Trump suggested that he would be prepared to shut down the government next month
He had vowed to make Mexico pay for the 2,000-mile, but has since acknowledge the U.S. taxpayers will have to foot the bill.  

Trump predicted on Saturday that Democrats would agree to the funding to avoid a government shutdown. 
'I don't think it's going to be necessary because I think the Democrats will come to their senses,' he said. 
'If they don't come to their senses, we will continue to win elections.'
Meanwhile, Trump said the 5,800 military troops deployed to the U.S. border will remain there for 'as long as necessary' in a bid to deter the caravan of migrants currently making its way through Mexico.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6341586-6403013-image-a-17_1542552886295

+3

Trump said the 5,800 military troops deployed to the U.S. border will remain there for 'as long as necessary' in a bid to deter the caravan of migrants currently making its way through Mexico
Trump's comments came a day after his counselor Kellyanne Conway said lawmakers have 'failed to meet the president's modest demands' for nearly two years. 
'Congress needs to act. Congress needs to act on the wall funding, but Congress also needs to act on immigration,' she told Fox & Friends on Friday. 
Funding for Homeland Security and other agencies will run out on December 7. 
If a new spending bill has not been finalized by that date, a partial government shutdown will occur.  
Trump gave lawmakers a pass on funding for his border wall at the last go around as the begged him not to tank their odds of reelection. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 Wire-6303650-1542430789-556_634x422

+3

U.S. Border Patrol agents observe as workers place concertina wire on the border structure Separating Mexico and the United States on Friday

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 18 Nov 2018, 19:47

Totally agree with you, Lizzy - and we could start with all the crazy plastic packaging in supermarkets. I know people who leave all the plastic at the till for the supermarket to deal with! We are fortunate in the UK - the bin men leave different bins for different recycling stuff and collect every week or so.

The point I was making about technology is that just supplying young men and women with a mobile phone is not enough - they just see how the rest of the world is doing and move. We need the industry and jobs where they live - that's what makes the Chinese so successful with the Belt and Road projects.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 18 Nov 2018, 20:17

Agreed. I wish the world's scientific and business communities would ignore financial/political interests and work together to find solutions to climate/weather related problems like drought and crop failure. If people could be assured of a stable food supply and clean water they might be able to make a living and stay where they are while the other problems are resolved.

We have mandatory recycling here in NYC, It's picked up by the Sanitation Dept. at least a couple of times a week. Seems, though, there's a problem finding takers for the recycled materials. I guess we all just use too much stuff.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 18 Nov 2018, 21:04

This is why major industrialized countries cannot shut themselves off from the rest of the world.  Which is what Trump keeps harping on.  We are all connected whether we like it or not and eventually we all pay the consequences of not investing in the world.  Climate change and corrupt governments play a huge part in forcing people to escape their homeland.  I don’t have answers as to how modern democracies can insert themselves to force these countries to change their ways and invest in technologies that address the needs of their people and to help combat droughts brought about by climate change.  
But the exodus of people from their homeland is a huge problem and only getting worse creating this dangerous resurgence of nationalism in many countries including the U.S.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 19 Nov 2018, 11:02

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6404667/New-York-police-look-man-swastika-stickers-Manhattan-subway.html

[size=34]Cops are hunting for 'racist who put up SWASTIKA stickers in a New York City subway train' after appalled fellow passengers snap photo of the suspect[/size]

• Suspect has been described as a 5ft10in Hispanic man weighing 170 pounds 

• Alleged incident took place on a Number 6 subway train on November 4 

• He was last seen walking out of the Bleecker Street station in Lower Manhattan

• Do you recognize this man? Email ariel.zilber@mailonline.com 

By ARIEL ZILBER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 00:05 EST, 19 November 2018 | UPDATED: 01:16 EST, 19 November 2018

The New York Police Department is hunting for a man seen placing swastika stickers on a Manhattan subway train.
The NYPD says that just before noon on November 4 the suspect was seen attaching two swastika stickers to the inside of the number 6 southbound train as it approached the Bleecker Street subway stop.
After attaching the Nazi, hate symbol, the man, who appeared to be in his forties,then exited the subway car and fled.
He has been described as a Hispanic man who stands at 5ft10in. He is believed to weigh 170 pounds and is clean shaven, and was last seen wearing dark clothing.

Police are calling the incident aggravated harassment. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6364536-6404667-image-m-70_1542603451038
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6364538-6404667-image-m-72_1542603462998

The NYPD says that just before noon on November 4, a man who appeared to be in his forties was seen on the southbound No. 6 train attaching two swastika stickers on the walls of the car as it approached the Bleecker Street subway stop

Anyone with information in regard to these incidents is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).
The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crimestoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM, on Twitter @NYPDTips or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.
All calls are strictly confidential.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 19 Nov 2018, 11:59

Donnamarie:

Here's what Piers Morgan got on morning tv here today when he complained that men need respect......you'll like it!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6405433/Susanna-Reid-RIPS-Piers-Morgans-script-live-GMB-RANTS-International-Mens-Day.html

Lizzy: re the discussion about investing and climate change concerns, there is a brilliant scheme going on in Sub Saharan Africa at the moment, where trees are being planted to halt the desert spreading. People are starting to settle, grow crops, raise animals and have a life there. We need more of that - everywhere!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 19 Nov 2018, 17:54

My thoughts about the Brexit (I know I'm late but was busy during the weekend):

The Brits I know and talked with about it are all remainers - or at least say so because they didn't want to discuss their decision with me. Of course you never know what people reallly think and vote. They seemed to be as shocked as we were, many of them apologized and couldn't explain why it happened. But they all live in the Oxfordshire / Berkshire area near Sonning - which means that it's a quit wealthy region with lots of innovative companies and hardly any unemployed people. I've no idea about the problems people in other regions of Britain have, and I've also mostly been to the touristic areas of London. So I've got no overall view of Britain - but neither have I about the problems in every city, town or area in Germany. I think I'm quite well informed about the problems in my area, but about a town 30 miles away or the next county? Not much, just what I read in the newspapers or am told by people who live there.
And opinions aren't objective - that's why they are opinions and no facts. So my opinion about a certain issue might be very different from my neighbour's.

Enough introduction, I guess.
The UK isn't as powerful as it used to be in the 19th century, that's for sure. Half of the world was part of the UK then and was exploited and suppressed. The rest of the world was occupied by Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and some European countries were happy fighting against each other.
Of course this empire won't come back by leaving the EU, but it's part of the upcoming nostalgia. You may discuss how good the 'good old times' actually were (and we often do so here on COH), but it's hard to fight feelings and emotions with facts. 
The EU certainly has its advantages and disadvantages, and I completely agree with those who critisize its- sometimes - excessive bureaucracy. But I had preferred to work on improving it instead of saying 'F* Europe'. 
Fear of immigrants? You've integrated (more or less) millions of immigrants from other Commonwealth countries. Refugees can't travel to Britain as on the continent, so an illegal migration is quite hard (but I have to admit that I was shocked when I saw people in Calais begging for a transfer to Dover). 
Believing that mining and steal production will be successful industries again? Probably, but it's still a question if it's easier to produce the goods in Britain or importing them and paying taxes.
On the other hand there are sectors of the economy you'll lose. London is the no. 1 place for finances in Europe - but all the banks and investment companies are dropping out of the country.
Is there still a British car branch? The Mini belongs to BMW, maybe Morris? Are they able to satisfy the people's needs for cars?
What about the employees from other countries? Will they all be replaced by Brits? Are they willing to do all the jobs the immigrants have done so far? I've always heard that there are many craftsmen from Poland because you appreciate their skills. Are British craftsmen as qualified? Sorry for asking, but I've been to many houses, and the piping is often a mess, so is the electric system. And one German lady who lives in our twintown for 40 years, told me that she despaired by building a house because she couldn't get good craftsmen. Maybe that's just a problem in that area or our expectations are too high...

Most of those who started the Brexit campaign, stole from the responsibility of trying to clean up the mess they've started. Theresa May is the last person I envy because she's in a position where she can only lose. On the one hand the EU certainly won't (and doesn't) say 'Okay, you're off, we wish you all the best! Just leave all the costs and the obligations to us, we'll pay everything for you!' They are responsible for the other 27 countries in the EU and have to find a way to deal with the problems the Brexit cause while demonstrating that every other member thinking about leaving will have the same problems. On the other hand she's critisized by the parliament members who think she doesn't negotiates hard enough for Britain's bright and better future. Although the Brexiteers promised millions to be spent on NHS every week. 

You're right, PAN, the British economy is rising at the moment. It has to because all the British companies have to invest to produce their products in Britain instead of in other countries where everything's much cheaper. Which isn't easy since this happened quite some years ago, so the factories, machines and knowledge isn't present anymore. But what do you think the result of producing will be? The prices will rise because the production costs will be much more expensive. Which means people won't be able to buy them anymore. Which means that either the government has to subsidize the prizes or the wages will rise. Which means either tax increase or inflation.
I hope this won't happen but that's my fear.

I've been to Britain in 2015 and 2017 and was shocked about the exchange rate which is so much better for us from the continent. For decades Britain was so expensive to travel to, now we were able to invite our hosts to dinner which hadn't been payable for us before that. This year our friends from our twin town weren't able to pay for a coach when they came for an exchange visit, so they had to take a plane and also had to hire a coach here in Germany. At the moment we plan our return visit for August 2019 but don't know anything about visa or no visa, if our health insurance will pay for medical treatment in the UK etc, we've no idea about the real impacts of the Brexit There are so many questions left, and so very short time until the Brexit actually happens. 

I really hope the Brexit won't be such a mess as expected...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 19 Nov 2018, 19:11

Hi Carol. Interesting to get your perspective on this - and yes the £ is down against the Euro -but there are pluses! Britain is heaving with tourists and investors taking advantage. You cannot move in London - and ironically many Americans can't believe how easy paying for anything via chip and pin or travelling via Oyster is!

I don't believe anybody thinks there will be a return to heavy industry but I do think those who were not well off and /or those who used to work in those industries actually resented British Euro MPs and executives who had been living rather well in Brussels telling them to vote Remain. Totally understandable.

One of the things that has already been agreed is a commitment to any immigrant - Polish or otherwise - who has been here for at least three years and contributing to the economy - will be allowed to stay.

David Cameron's frustration at not being able to get a deal on immigration numbers with the EU was what caused him to go to the country for a vote on this - and also the possibility of Turkey joining may be with the immigration figures from there looking like at the very least a potential ten million more people.

What an awful lot of people have said is that we are a tiny island already full - as you say with an additional commitment for what were our colonies. Another fear was that many small towns' and villages' character was being impacted and it was hard for some to find, for instance, a British butcher.......

That being said, it would have been a good idea in my opinion if somebody had maybe explained just how tricky international treaties are, how long trade agreements take and how the EU would take their time because they fear it will be the beginning of the end. Quite a lot of people thought this was going to happen pretty quickly without knowing the ins and outs of what needs to happen - never mind Article 50!

Theresa May of course totally understands this and those she put in charge may not have had the same ability to clear the diaries of 27 other countries to get something done. Pretty sure she does!

And interestingly enough, there is a chart that shows some scales of the worldwide economy in which China (of course!) leads the way, US and UK(!) follow and the EU is some way behind (I imagine given the number of different countries). Let's hope that continues!!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 19 Nov 2018, 20:49

party animal - not wrote:Lizzy: re the discussion about investing and climate change concerns, there is a brilliant scheme going on in Sub Saharan Africa at the moment, where trees are being planted to halt the desert spreading. People are starting to settle, grow crops, raise animals and have a life there. We need more of that - everywhere!

A. Piers Morgan is a twit!

B.Your post reminded me of something I saw on tv awhile back, but can't place. Someone has come up with a simple way to condense water from the air. If I remember correctly they're trying it in arid areas in Africa with some success. It doesn't provide huge amounts of water, but enough for a family for a day or so.

C. Re:Brexit. I can't imagine trying to untangle all the connections between the UK and the rest of the EU. I have enough trouble balancing my checkbook.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 19 Nov 2018, 21:40

Hi PAN,
as I've already written, I do wish Britain just the best and really hope that there will be no serious consequences for your economy.

For me, this referendum was the ultimate proof that certain issues can't be decided by the 'ordinary' population. To decide if your country remains in the EU or leaves it, is so complex that a lot of facts and expert knowledge are needed and have to be set in a context. I wouldn't want to decide this. My friends inthe Oxfordshire are said that there were lots of articles and discussions in the medias ahead of the referendum, I've read several articles. But like everywhere else and about any other issue, it depends on the newspaper you read and the tv station you watch. There were many different numbers about how much Britain pays to the EU and how much they get back. Many didn't include the indirect payments and impacts, and I knew that the numbers about how much Britain can put into the NHS every week after the Brexit were wrong - before the referendum happened. And if I as someone outside of the UK knows about it, you can as well. But let's be honest: We all get tired to discuss these complex issues on and on and after a while simply close our ears to these facts. And many people don't even start thinking about it because every decision apart from which cereals to have for breakfast is too difficult for them. They might decide not to join the referendum at all - or think about the German neighbour who's simply annoying and want him to leave their country.

I find it annoying too that there's just one butcher left in my hometown. But guess what? He's on a lunch break from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and his shop is closed Wednesday and Saturday afternoon (on Sunday shops in Germany are closed in general). So when I finish working at 2 p.m., I can't shop there, so I have to go to the supermarket in town. Or I want a special piece of meat or chicken, and they don't have it because they mostly sell pork. The supermarket has the meat or chicken I want, so I got used to buy it there. On the other hand, the small shops with Russian, Turkish or Chinese goods widened my range of fruits and vegetables and spices. I had my first pizza and pasta dishes in the 1980s when I was about 15, my mother had never made them before. But this wouldn't stop if we left the EU, it just might stop us from experiencing new tastes.

You say that London is crowded with tourists which is great. And if our politicians find a way to make travelling to the UK as easy as now, it will certainly continue - and that's even better!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 20 Nov 2018, 02:03

PAN - Just read a rather long but interesting blog on dailykos.com : "New Evidence Linking Bannon, Mercer to Brexit Calls For 'Mueller-Style' probe in UK". Apparently there's an email trail linking Brexit and our 2016 election to the Russians via Aaron Banks / Leave.EU, Robert Mercer and Steve Bannon/ Cambridge Analytica and Trump.

Rep. Adam Schiff (California), the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, is quoted in the NY Times (6/29/18):

" From what we've seen the parallels between Russian intervention in
          Brexit and Russian intervention in the Trump campaign appear to
          be extraordinary."

Because of the involvement of Mercer/Cambridge Analytica with both Banks and Trump and Brexit and the US election - and because there seem to be financial ties between Banks and Russia - a Mueller-type investigation is suggested for the U.K.

It's an interesting article, worth a read.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 20 Nov 2018, 03:31

I remember reading  earlier this year about possible Russian interference with the Brexit vote.  I haven’t heard much about it since then and wondered if there was an investigation going on in the UK.  Not surprised if Bannon and the Mercers had a hand in all of this ...

Here’s a Guardian article from back in June

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/17/why-isnt-there-greater-outrage-about-russian-involvement-in-brexit

Last edited by Donnamarie on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 03:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 20 Nov 2018, 11:03

Well, well, well........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46271021

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/19/ivanka-trump-personal-email-account-government-hillary-clintonhttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/19/ivanka-trump-personal-email-account-government-hillary-clinton

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 20 Nov 2018, 14:17

Watch them twist themselves into pretzels making excuses for her. Lawrence Tribe was right. Entitled and disgusting.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 20 Nov 2018, 21:41

Trump already came out and said there wasn’t anything confidential in his precious daughter’s emails.  This is nothing like what Hillary did he says.  So said the liar in chief.  This is so typical of the Trump ‘klan’.  The rules never apply to them.  They simply don’t believe in the rule of law.  These people have no regard for the federal government and it shows.  They really are like a mob family.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 22 Nov 2018, 10:57

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6416609/Schoolgirl-13-shot-dead-bedroom-Milwaukee.html

[size=34]Schoolgirl, 13, who wrote an award-winning essay about gun violence and crime prevention is shot dead in her own bedroom in Milwaukee by a stray bullet[/size]

• Sandra Parks, 13, was shot dead in her bedroom on Thursday night when a stray bullet was fired into her home

• She talked about hoping to see an end to violence and crime in a school essay

• She described how 'little children are victims of senseless gun violence' daily 

• Isaac Barnes, 26, and Untrell Oden, 27, are facing homicide charges for her killing and it is understood that Sandra was not the intended victim 

By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 00:25 EST, 22 November 2018 | UPDATED: 02:49 EST, 22 November 2018

A young girl penned an award-winning essay about gun violence in her hometown just two years before she was shot dead in her own bedroom by a stray bullet.
Sandra Parks, 13, was in her bedroom Thursday night in Milwaukee when someone shot into her house and killed her instantly, Pix 11 reports.
In an essay she wrote two years before her death, she talked about hoping to see an end to violence in her neighborhood.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6502350-6416609-Sandra_Parks_was_shot_dead_as_she_sat_in_her_bedroom-a-14_1542863510103

+9

Sandra Parks (left) was shot dead as she sat in her bedroom and her mother Bernice (right) said the young girl hated violence and wrote a series of essays about how to prevent it 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6503046-6416609-image-a-36_1542863597599

+9

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6503044-6416609-image-m-35_1542863588022

+9

Isacc Barnes (left) and Untrell Oden (right) have been charged over the death of the girl 
'We shall overcome has been lost in lies of who we are. Who we have become.

'We need to rewrite our story so that faith and hope for a better tomorrow is not only within us. But we believe it and we put it into action'.
Sandra's essay took third place in her school district. In it she called for more empathy and less negativity, and emphasized the importance of getting an education to make the world a better place.

She described a world where 'little children are victims of senseless gun violence' and 'there is too much black-on-black crime'. 
'Sometimes, I sit back and I have to escape from what I see and hear every day,” she wrote. 
'When I do, I come to the same conclusion … we are in a state of chaos'. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6502492-6416609-image-a-8_1542861918014

+9

She penned an award-winning essay about gun violence in her hometown of Milwaukee
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6502348-6416609-image-a-9_1542861927133

+9

She told Wisconsin Public Radio that she chose to write about violence because 'all you hear about is somebody dying'
Sandra, then a sixth grader, told Wisconsin Public Radio that she chose to write about violence because 'all you hear about is somebody dying or somebody getting shot and people do not just think about whose father or son or granddaughter or grandson who it was that was just killed'.
On Friday night friends and family came together to remember the young girl who had dreams of changing the world and trying to eliminate gun violence.  
Her mother Bernice Parks said: 'My baby was not violent. My baby did not like violence.
'She was a star that was trying to get out by didn’t know how/ Don’t never forget my baby', she told Pix 11. 
She set up a Gofundme page to help raise money to hold a memorial service for her daughter.  
Bernie wrote: 'Sandra was shot while at home. The shooter shot through the house November 19, 2018.She was a eight grader and had hope for going to college to be writer. She was just a innocent child. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6501900-6416609-image-a-37_1542863761222

+9

Sandra's mother Bernice is inconsolable over the loss of her daughter to gun violence 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6501902-6416609-image-a-12_1542862087483

+9

Sandra's friends and family gather on Friday to remember the little girl who 'hated violence'
'This situation has been very hard on me as a mother, family and friends'.
Two men are facing homicide charges in the shooting death of Sandra Parks.
Isaac Barnes, 26, and Untrell Oden, 27 and prosecutors say Barnes was the gunman in this case and Oden helped him hide his guns.
It is thought that Barnes, 26, and may have been planning to shoot his ex-girlfriend, prosecutors allege.
According to the complaint, Isaac Barnes' ex-girlfriend said Barnes approached her wearing a black mask and 'holding a large AK-47 style firearm'. 
He told her: 'I was going to fan you down, but didn't because she had her kids in her parked car.
She was visiting her sister at a home Monday night near where Sandra Parks lived. It wasn't clear from the criminal complaint whether Parks had already been shot by then.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6503042-6416609-image-a-38_1542863815071

+9

On Friday night friends and family came together to remember the young girl who had dreams of changing the world and trying to eliminate gun violence
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6503036-6416609-image-a-39_1542863824225

+9

Sandra's essay took third place in her school district. In it she called for more empathy and less negativity, and emphasized the importance of getting an education
Barnes faces charges of first-degree reckless homicide, discharging a gun into a building, and possession of a firearm by a felon. 
The reckless homicide charge is punishable by up to 60 years in prison. Oden faces two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon.
Parks' mother had gone to bed at around 7 pm and was 'awoken by the sound of gunfire', prosecutors said in the complaint.
'The next thing she heard was (Sandra) yelling: 'I'm shot! I'm shot!', prosecutors said.
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett had said Tuesday Sandra Barnes was in her bedroom when she was shot, but according to the criminal complaint her mother found her bleeding on the living room floor, where her siblings had been watching television.
Prosecutors also charged an acquaintance of Barnes with two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon, alleging that he had safeguarded two guns belonging to Barnes.  
Barnes and Oden did not yet have attorneys listed and haven't had a bond hearing.
Police found Barnes hiding a closet in a home where they also located Oden. 
In that home, police recovered one firearm in the garbage can of the living room and another gun in a bedroom, according to prosecutors. 
They say Oden told detective he saw Barnes 'shooting at an unknown target as they walked from the store'.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 22 Nov 2018, 11:19

This is dreadful.

I watched a report on the BBC News last night about how fentanyl (a form of heroin l think) is being mixed with cocaine - so that people get even more hooked and sold from cars on many city streets at the moment. Wonder if that was involved too.

On a marginally brighter note - this is for you, WWHS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwKjK-HJ6s

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 23 Nov 2018, 23:14

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6423085/Trump-takes-bid-ban-transgender-soldiers-directly-Supreme-Court-bypassing-circuit-courts.html

[size=34]Trump takes bid to ban transgender soldiers directly to Supreme Court, bypassing lower courts including the Ninth Circuit he has railed against[/size]

• President Trump's administration asked the Supreme Court to rule on a challenge to the ban on transgender soldiers 

• The move would bypass the circuit court, including the Ninth Circuit that President Trump has repeatedly railed against 

• Trump has complained about losses in the Ninth Circuit 

• If the Supreme Court takes up the matter, a ruling could come by June 2019

• But the Supreme Court does not like to bypass the lower courts

• It has refused to do so for the administration in the past 

By EMILY GOODIN, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 16:53 EST, 23 November 2018 | UPDATED: 17:27 EST, 23 November 2018

President Donald Trump's administration, in a move to get around the circuit court, on Friday appealed directly to the Supreme Court to hear a challenge to the administration's policy that bars transgender people from military service.
The move comes as the president has railed against the Ninth Circuit, which put on a hold on his asylum ban for illegal immigrants. 
Several district courts have blocked the policy, including the Ninth Circuit, which heard arguments earlier this fall, and the DC Circuit, which will hear arguments in early December.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6529630-6423085-image-a-10_1543009498345

+5

President Trump's administration asked the Supreme Court to rule on a challenge to the ban on transgender soldiers 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6486276-6418161-The_U_S_Supreme_Court_is_pictured_in_a_November_8_portrait_that_-a-33_1542892980131

+5

The US Supreme Court is pictured in full with the president and first lady on November 8
But, on Friday, the administration moved to bypass those courts and go straight to the top.

Solicitor General Noel Francisco of the Justice Department filed petitions asking Supreme Court justices to take up the issue in three separate cases that are still in lower courts, CNN reported.
Francisco argues that lower court rulings imposing nationwide injunctions are wrong and warrant immediate review by the high court.
The administration’s attempt to get the issue before the Supreme Court in their current term could mean a decision by June 2019 - if the justices agree to take up the matter.
The policy, which Trump announced on Twitter in July 2017, was later officially released by Secretary of Defense James Mattis.

It blocks individuals who suffer from a condition known as gender dysphoria from serving in the military with limited exceptions. 
It does let individuals without the condition serve but only if they do so according to the sex they were assigned at birth.
Typically, the Supreme Court does not like to take up an issue before it has made its way through the lower courts.
The administration had made similar requests of the high court in the past and the Supreme Court has rebuffed those attempts, as it did in a challenge to the administration’s attempt to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program for Dreamers, sending the matters back to the lower courts before it weighs in.
President Trump has been railing against the Ninth Court and got into an unprecedented battle with Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts on the role of the judiciary. 

A supporter of LGBT rights holds up an "equality flag" on Capitol Hill in Washington, during an event held by Rep. Joe Kennedy, D-Mass. in support of transgender members of the military
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6572366-6423085-image-a-18_1543011989129

+5

The policy blocks individuals who suffer from a condition known as gender dysphoria from serving in the military with limited exceptions
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6572372-6423085-image-a-19_1543012004089

+5

The Supreme Court does not like to bypass the lower courts
On Thanksgiving Day, he slammed the circuit court while on a call with U.S. troops based in Afghanistan.
'We got a lot of bad decisions from the Ninth Circuit, which has become a big thorn in our side. We always lose, and then you lose again and again, and you hopefully win at the Supreme Court, which we have done,' he said on a call with U.S. troops based in Afghanistan.
Trump also acknowledged his spat with Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts.
'I know that Chief Justice Roberts, John Roberts, has been speaking a little bit about it. And I think - I have a lot of respect for him. I like him and respect him, but I think we have to use some common sense. It's Ninth Circuit, everybody knows it, it's totally out of control. What they're doing, what they're saying, the opinions are very unfair to law enforcement. They're very unfair to our military. And they're very unfair, most importantly, to the people of our country,' he said.  
Trump had complained that a judge appointed by former President Barack Obama has ruled against his asylum ban, calling him an 'Obama-judge.'
That earned a sharp rebuke from the chief justice. 
Roberts, who is a Republican and was nominated to the Supreme Court by George W. Bush in 2005,  said: 'We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges.
'What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them.
'The independent judiciary is something we should all be thankful for.'
 Trump hit back on Twitter afterwards, saying: 'Sorry Chief Justice John Roberts, but you do indeed have 'Obama judges', and they have a much different point of view than the people who are charged with the safety of our country.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 24 Nov 2018, 02:03

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6423319/Judge-REJECTS-Trump-claim-sued-hes-president-charity-funds-campaign.html

[size=34]Judge REJECTS Trump's claim he can't be sued because he's president, giving go ahead for lawsuit against leader, Don Jr, Eric and Ivanka 'who used $3M from charity to help POTUS campaign'[/size]

• New York state judge rejected Donald Trump's request to dismiss lawsuit Friday

• Justice Saliann Scarpulla said US Constitution did not immunize Trump 

• New York attorney general accused him of misusing Donald J. Trump Foundation

• Barbara Underwood said he used charity to advance his 2016 POTUS campaign

• Underwood sued Trump and his adult children Donald Jr, Eric and Ivanka June 14 

• Lawsuit sought to dissolve foundation, recoup $2.8 million and ban Trumps from leadership roles at charities

• Judge said defendants have been trying to dissolve foundation, and for this reason refused to issue an injunction barring the Trumps from running it

• Trump lawyer had accused Democrat Underwood of 'pervasive bias' for suing 

• Alan Futerfas insisted all of the money raised went to charitable causes

By LEAH SIMPSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 20:15 EST, 23 November 2018 | UPDATED: 20:26 EST, 23 November 2018

A New York state judge rejected President Donald Trump's request to dismiss a lawsuit after he'd earlier claimed that under the US Constitution he can't be sued because he was the leader of the United States.
Justice Saliann Scarpulla of the state supreme court in Manhattan on Friday rebuked a motion from his lawyer Alan Futerfas that accused the state's Attorney General Barbara Underwood, a Democrat, of 'pervasive bias' for suing.
After a 21-month probe, Underwood came to the conclusion POTUS had been misusing funding of the Donald J. Trump Foundation to help his 2016 presidential campaign and his various businesses.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6576724-6423319-image-a-38_1543021850559

+9

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood sued Trump and his adult children Donald Jr, Eric and Ivanka June 14 for misusing Donald J. Trump Foundation funds
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6575832-6423319-image-a-29_1543020602476

+9

Underwood said in the filing the Trumps used the charity to advance his 2016 campaign
Claims against Trump and his adult children Donald Jr, Eric and Ivanka from the original filing on June 14 include breach of fiduciary duty, improper self-dealing, and misuse of assets belonging to the Foundation.

By suing, the attorney aims to recover $2.8million that Trump is said to have raised for military veterans at an event in Iowa in 2016 but gave his campaign control over.
It's also believed $100,000 from the charity may have been used to settle a dispute involving Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, and $10,000 for a portrait of Trump that was later hung at one of his golf clubs. 
Underwood's spokesperson Amy Spitalnick tweeted that the lawsuit showed how 'the Trump Foundation functioned as a personal piggy bank to serve Trump's business & political interests'.
Trump faces many investigations, and many lawsuits by Democratic-led or Democratic-leaning states including New York. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6575868-6423319-image-a-18_1543019739667

+9

It's also believed $100,000 from the charity may have been used to settle a dispute involving Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida (pictured)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6576872-6423319-image-a-46_1543022182525

+9

Dispute involves a $10,000 for a portrait of Trump that was later hung at one of his golf clubs
Apprentice contestant Summer Zervos is one of at least a dozen women who accused Trump of sexual misconduct. Trump denied he forced himself on her in 2007. 
'In accordance with Clinton V. Jones and Zervos V. Trump, I find that I have jurisdiction over Mr. Trump and deny Respondents' motion to dismiss the petition against him on jurisdictional grounds,' she wrote.
The judge denied Trump's request for discovery of evidence from the other party in the case. 
The AG seeks to dissolve the foundation and ban the Trumps from leadership roles at charities due to 'extensive unlawful political coordination' between the foundation and campaign.
The White House was not immediately available for comment, Reuters reported. 
However Alan Futerfas, a lawyer for the defendants, said the decision meant only that the case would go forward.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6575858-6423319-image-m-25_1543019781264

+9

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6575840-6423319-image-a-26_1543019787014

+9

Justice Saliann Scarpulla (right) said the US Constitution did not immunize Trump and threw out a motion to dismiss the case from Underwood (left)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6576680-6423319-image-a-37_1543021786408

+9

Apprentice contestant Summer Zervos' case against Trump recently advanced
'As we have maintained throughout, all of the money raised by the Foundation went to charitable causes to assist those most in need. As a result, we remain confident in the ultimate outcome of these proceedings,' Futerfas said in an email. 
In her 27-page decision, Scarpulla called New York's lawsuit 'replete' with allegations that foundation funds were misused, including at Trump's direction.
She also said the state sufficiently alleged that Trump's actions were willful and intentional, citing allegations that he and his campaign arranged for the foundation to cut checks, helping generate 'vote-getting publicity that Mr Trump would have otherwise paid for himself.'
The defendants have been trying to dissolve the foundation, and for this reason Scarpulla refused to issue an injunction barring the Trumps from running it.
Underwood welcomed Scarpulla's decision.
'The Trump Foundation functioned as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr Trump's business and political interests,' Underwood said in a statement. 'There are rules that govern private foundations - and we intend to enforce them.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6575844-6423319-image-a-28_1543020586612

+9

Trump used Twitter to call Underwood's lawsuit a concoction by 'sleazy New York Democrats'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6575852-6423319-image-a-27_1543020579149

+9

POTUS pledged not to settle when he posted the tweets in June
He had used Twitter to call Underwood's lawsuit a concoction by 'sleazy New York Democrats,' and pledged not to settle.
Trump tweeted in June: 'The sleazy New York Democrats, and their now disgraced (and run out of town) A.G. Eric Schneiderman, are doing everything they can to sue me on a foundation that took in $18,800,000 and gave out to charity more money than it took in, $19,200,000. I won’t settle this case!..
'...Schneiderman, who ran the Clinton campaign in New York, never had the guts to bring this ridiculous case, which lingered in their office for almost 2 years. Now he resigned his office in disgrace, and his disciples brought it when we would not settle.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 26 Nov 2018, 03:15

The essay written by Sandra Parks in the earlier post was just jarring.  She spoke the truth.  Amazing insight for such a young girl.  She will never have a chance now to be a part of any hope and change that is desperately needed in this country.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 27 Nov 2018, 00:22

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6431493/I-dont-believe-Trump-says-climate-change-report-released-administration.html

[size=34]'I don't believe it' Trump says of apocalyptic report on climate change that was released by his administration[/size]

• President Donald Trump said he doesn't believe a climate report out of his administration that warns of dire economic costs in the wake of climate change

• 'I don't believe it,' he said 

• He also seemed to push the blame to other nations, saying the United States is 'the cleanest we've ever been' 

• Trump was responding to a stunning report released by his administration that said climate change will cost the U.S. economy hundreds of billions of dollars

• The report came out on Black Friday, one of the busiest shopping days of the year, leading critics to charge Trump with trying to bury the findings

By EMILY GOODIN, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 17:00 EST, 26 November 2018 UPDATED: 18:46 EST, 26 November 2018

• [email=?subject=Read%20this:%20%27I%20don%27t%20believe%20it%27%20Trump%20says%20of%C2%A0apocalyptic%20report%20on%20climate%20change%20that%20was%20released%20by%20his%20administration%C2%A0&body=%27I%20don%27t%20believe%20it%27%20Trump%20says%20of%C2%A0apocalyptic%20report%20on%20climate%20change%20that%20was%20released%20by%20his%20administration%C2%A0%0A%0APresident%20Donald%20Trump%20said%20on%20Monday%20he%20doesn%27t%20believe%20a%20climate%20report%20out%20of%20his%20administration%20that%20warns%20of%20dire%20economic%20costs%20in%20the%20wake%20of%20climate%20change.%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6431493%2FI-dont-believe-Trump-says-climate-change-report-released-administration.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top%0A%0A%0AMost%20Read%20Articles%3A%0A%0ATrump%20denies%20Border%20Patrol%20is%20tear-gassing%20kids%20as%20he%20insists%20%27we%20don%27t%20use%20it%20on%20children%27%20despite%20pictures%20of%20migrant%20families%20rushing%20the%20U.S.-Mexico%20border%20while%20fumes%20fly%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6429561%2FTrump-threatens-decisive-action-Mexico-does-not-deport-caravan-migrants-hundreds-storm-border.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AThe%20latest%20Trump%20Tower%21%20Barron%2C%2012%2C%20dwarfs%205ft11%20mom%20Melania%20as%20the%20First%20Family%20arrives%20back%20at%20the%20White%20House%20after%20Thanksgiving%20in%20Mar-a-Lago%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6428081%2FBarron-Trump-boards-Air-Force-One-mom-dad-weekend-Mar-Lago.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AThe%20orangutan%20sex%20slave%20forced%20to%20work%20at%20a%20BROTHEL%3A%20Perverts%20paid%20%243%20to%20sleep%20with%20ape%20made%20to%20wear%20make-up%20and%20earrings%20-%20before%20she%20was%20finally%20rescued%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6430317%2FThe-orangutan-sex-slave-forced-work-BROTHEL.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A]e-mail[/email]

[size=32]775
shares

[/size]
[size=32]529[/size]
[size]

[/size]
View comments
[size]
[/size]

President Donald Trump said on Monday he doesn't believe a climate report out of his administration that warns of dire economic costs in the wake of climate change.
'I don't believe it,' he told reporters at the White House before he left for campaign rallies in Mississippi.
'I've seen it, I’ve read some of it, and it’s fine,' he added. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6671612-6431493-image-a-19_1543268885936

+3

President Donald Trump said on Monday he doesn't believe a climate report out of his administration that warns of dire economic costs in the wake of climate change
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6671556-6431493-image-a-27_1543269185294

+3

Trump was responding to a stunning report released by his administration that said climate change will cost the U.S. economy hundreds of billions of dollars
Video playing bottom right...
Click here to expand to full page
[size]

[size=3]Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:22

Pause
Unmute

[/size][/size]
Current Time0:22
/
Duration Time0:38
[size][size][size]
Fullscreen

ExpandClose[/size][/size]

He also seemed to push the blame to other nations, saying the United States is 'the cleanest we've ever been.' 
'And here's the other thing, you're going to have to China and Japan and all of Asia and all of these other countries, you know, it addresses our country. Right now we're the cleanest we've ever been. And that's very important to me. But if we're clean, but every other place on Earth is dirty, that's not so good, so I want clean air, I want clean water, very important,' he said.
The president was responding to a stunning report released by his administration Friday that said climate change will cost the U.S. economy hundreds of billions of dollars by the end of the century, damaging everything from human health to infrastructure and agricultural production.
The report came out on Black Friday, a holiday for most Americans and one of the busiest shopping days of the year, leading critics to charge Trump with trying to bury the findings. 
The Congressionally-mandated report, written with the help of more than a dozen U.S. government agencies and departments, outlined the projected impacts of global warming in every corner of American society, in a dire warning at odds with the Trump administration's pro-fossil fuels agenda.
'With continued growth in emissions at historic rates, annual losses in some economic sectors are projected to reach hundreds of billions of dollars by the end of the century - more than the current gross domestic product (GDP) of many U.S. states,' according to the report.

RELATED ARTICLES

[/size]

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6667762-0-President_Trump_told_reporters_outside_the_White_House_that_the_-a-30_1543262967037President Trump warns Britain may NOT be allowed to trade...The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6655586-0-image-a-7_1543260201708Trump administration doesn't have enough lawyers to fend off...The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6669898-0-image-m-23_1543266322382'She certainly didn't mean it!' Trump defends endangered...The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6628376-0-image-m-11_1543238185827'We don't use it on children': Trump insists his...

[size]

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

[size=35]775 shares[/size]
It said global warming would disproportionately hurt the poor, broadly undermine human health, damage infrastructure, limit the availability of water, alter coastlines, and boost costs in industries from farming to energy production. 
Trump's administration - through his EPA - has rolled back or repealed nearly every climate policy former President Obama put into place, including greenhouse gas rules for power plants, cars and oil and natural gas drillers.
The president also took the United States out of the Paris Climate Accords. 
Trump and several members of his cabinet have also repeatedly cast doubt on the science of climate change, arguing the causes and impacts are not yet settled.  
Environmental groups said the report reinforced their calls for the United States to take action on climate change.

[size=18]Trump defends Cindy Hyde-Smith's 'public hanging' comment

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
00:00

Previous
Play
Skip
Mute

[/size][/size]
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:00
[size][size][size]
Fullscreen

[/size][/size]
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6672198-6431493-image-a-28_1543270447510

+3

The report came out on Black Friday, one of the busiest shopping days of the year, leading critics to charge Trump with trying to bury the findings
'This report makes it clear that climate change is not some problem in the distant future. It's happening right now in every part of the country,' said Brenda Ekwurzel, the director of climate science at the Union of Concerned Scientists and one of the report's authors.
Previous research, including from U.S. government scientists, has also concluded that climate change could have severe economic consequences, including damage to infrastructure, water supplies and agriculture.
Severe weather and other impacts also increase the risk of disease transmission, decrease air quality, and can increase mental health problems, among other effects.
Thirteen government departments and agencies, from the Agriculture Department to NASA, were part of the committee that compiled the new report.
The entire report can be viewed here.
 [/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Tue 27 Nov 2018, 00:23

party animal - not! wrote:This is dreadful.

I watched a report on the BBC News last night about how fentanyl (a form of heroin l think) is being mixed with cocaine - so that people get even more hooked and sold from cars on many city streets at the moment. Wonder if that was involved too.

On a marginally brighter note - this is for you, WWHS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwKjK-HJ6s

Thank  you sooooo much PAN ( I hate the common parlance SO ... SO Downtown Abbey... SO misused)....

I would expect nothing less from President Acosta .... back to work on the dot...much appeal for the working man/woman....if he had gone straight to celeb land, he’d have lost it.... game over.... keep doing the do, keep oiling the sling sweet David....One day the bullseye will be yours Séamus!!!

Acosta for 2020
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 29 Nov 2018, 03:17

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6439361/Patagonia-gives-GOP-tax-windfall-environmental-groups.html

[size=34]Patagonia CEO blasts Trump tax cut as 'irresponsible' and donates company's entire $10 million savings to fight climate change[/size]

• Patagonia CEO Rose Marcario announced the $10 million donation Wednesday

• Called GOP tax 'irresponsible' and denial of global warming 'evil'

• Congress cut corporate taxes last year to 21 per cent, from 35 per cent 

By ASSOCIATED PRESS and KEITH GRIFFITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 13:36 EST, 28 November 2018 | UPDATED: 20:14 EST, 28 November 2018

Patagonia, the outdoor gear company, is passing along the $10 million it saved from tax cuts to non-profit environmental groups.
The Ventura, California-based company's CEO Rose Marcario said on Wednesday that the donation is in addition to the 1 per cent of sales it gives to environmental groups every year. 
Corporations received a windfall from the GOP's sweeping overhaul of the U.S. tax code last year, which slashed corporate rates to 21 per cent, from 35 per cent.
Marcario called the tax cut 'irresponsible' in a statement, adding: 'Taxes protect the most vulnerable in our society, our public lands and other life-giving resources. In spite of this, the Trump administration initiated a corporate tax cut, threatening these services at the expense of our planet.' 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6774060-6439361-image-m-20_1543453141250

+2

Patagonia CEO Rose Marcario (above in 2015) said on Wednesday that the company would donate its $10 million in tax savings to environmental non-profits

'Far too many have suffered the consequences of global warming in recent months, and the political response has so far been woefully inadequate—and the denial is just evil,' Marcario wrote.
The donation is being made on the heels of the recent National Climate Assessment, which Patagonia cited in its announcement.
'Our government continues to ignore the seriousness and causes of the climate crisis. It is pure evil,' said Yvon Chouinard, Patagonia's founder. 
'We need to double down on renewable energy solutions. We need an agriculture system that supports small family farms and ranches, not one that rewards chemical companies intent on destroying our planet and poisoning our food. And we need to protect our public lands and waters because they are all we have left.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6774062-6439361-image-a-18_1543452989076

+2

Patagonia CEO Rose Marcario (second from left) reacts as then-President Barack Obama mentions her in his remarks at a 'Champions of Change' event in 2015
The report warned that natural disasters are worsening in the U.S. because of global warming. 
It said violent weather and floods have led to costs of nearly $400 billion since 2015 and the potential for annual losses hundreds of billions of dollars.
Though economists agree with the general financial conclusions related to climate change, President Donald Trump has rejected the report's assessment regarding the potential economic impact.
Patagonia has joined a flurry of lawsuits challenging Trump's decision to chop up two large national monuments in Utah. 
It also endorsed Democratic Sens.-elect Jon Tester of Montana and Jacky Rosen of Nevada, both who won against GOP incumbents. 
The company described them as champions of public lands and the outdoor industry.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 29 Nov 2018, 13:41

Brilliant! It would be great if other companies would follow their lead. People need to understand that Trump only cares about himself. As long as he's comfortable the rest of the world can go to hell. He knows that, one way or another, he'll be dead soon and won't have to deal with the consequences of his destructive policies. It's up to the rest of us to do whatever we can to minimize the damage.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 30 Nov 2018, 16:36

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6447101/Ruth-Bader-Ginsburg-scowls-SCOTUS-group-portrait-session-Brett-Kavanaugh-beams.html

[size=34]Part of the club: Supreme Court poses for new group portrait that includes controversial justice Brett Kavanaugh for the first time – and Ruth Bader Ginsburg does NOT look amused[/size]

• Justice Brett Kavanaugh was all smiles at his first Supreme Court group portrait session

• Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the oldest justice at age 85, scowled through the photo-op

• Ginsburg's health has become an issue since she fell and cracked three ribs on Nov. 7

• If she were to retire, the liberal justice would give President Donald Trump a chance to replace her

• That could cement a conservative-leaning court for a generation 

• Even in lighthearted moments on Friday, Ginsburg alternated between frowns and 1,000-yard stares 

By DAVID MARTOSKO, U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:47 EST, 30 November 2018 | UPDATED: 11:09 EST, 30 November 2018

Members of the U.S. Supreme Court posed for a new group photo on Friday, marking the first time newly minted Justice Brett Kavanaugh was included.
A beaming Kavanaugh relished his first public moment as one of America's most senior judges following a nail-biting Senate vote last month.
But Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was not in a happy mood. She scowled and grimaced through the photo session.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6844506-6447101-Supreme_Court_Justice_Brett_Kavanaugh-m-10_1543592527584

+9

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6845776-6447101-Supreme_Court_Justice_Ruth_Bader_Ginsburg-a-11_1543592533880

+9

Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh (left), the most recent addition to the high court, beamed through Friday's portrait session, but 25-year veteran Ruth Bader Ginsburg (right) was in no mood to grin
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6845780-6447101-image-m-14_1543592551143

+9

Photographers captured President Trump's 2018 nominee (top right) enjoying his first public picture as one of America's top jurists, but Ginsburg never cracked a smile
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6844516-6447101-image-a-21_1543592697070

+9

Group portraits are an annual affair for the Supreme Court, and take on new significance whenever a new justice is seated
Ginsburg returned to work two weeks ago despite being hospitalized for three cracked ribs. She hasn't missed a day of oral arguments in 25 years.

But the ailing 85-year-old jurist has faced questions about how much longer she will serve in a role that's technically a lifetime appointment.
If she were to retire, President Donald Trump would get to replace her, giving him three picks and a chance to cement a conservative leaning on the court for a generation.
In addition to Kavanaugh, Trump elevated Neil Gorsuch to the highest bench in the land last year.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6844458-6447101-image-a-46_1543593214450

+9

Seated (L-R): Associate Justice Stephen Breyer, Associate Justice Clarence Thomas, Chief Justice of the United States John G. Roberts, Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Associate Justice Samuel Alito, Jr. Standing behind (L-R): Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch, Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Associate Justice Elena Kagan and Associate Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6844492-6447101-image-a-20_1543592680538

+9

Even in the most lighthearted moments on Friday, Ginsburg kept her thousand-yard stare
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6844502-6447101-image-m-30_1543592728147

+9

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6844490-6447101-image-a-32_1543592734365

+9

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6844476-6447101-image-a-31_1543592734347

+9

Jokesters of the day included Justices Clarence Thomas (left) and Neil Gorsuch (right), and Chief Justice John Roberts (center)
Some photos on Friday showed Justice Elena Kagan, a Barack Obama appointee, in less than a full-on grin. 
Ginsburg made no attempt to hide her frown.
The Supreme Court hasn't released its official portrait for the session that began in mid-November, but will likelly try to find an image that includes a good-spirited Ginsburg. 
Ginsburg is the Supreme Court's oldest justice. She fell in her office at the court on Nov. 7, experienced discomfort overnight and went to George Washington University Hospital in Washington the next day. 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 01 Dec 2018, 11:09

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6449107/Former-President-George-H-W-Bush-dead-age-94.html

[size=34]George H.W. Bush, 41st President of the US dead at 94: Cold War warrior, who spent a lifetime in high public office and ruled an American political dynasty passes away in Texas eight months after his beloved wife Barbara[/size]

• George Herbert Walker Bush, America's 41st president, died on Friday night at his home in Houston

• He had been hospitalized days earlier with low blood pressure, and several times prior for pneumonia

• His death comes less than eight months after wife of 73 years Barbara's passing in April

• Tributes poured in from former presidents Clinton, Obama and George W. Bush, Bush's eldest son

• Second World War hero Bush presided over the final days of the Cold War and the breakup of the Soviet Union

• The son of a senator and father of a president, Bush was the man with the golden political resume 

• The 1991 Gulf War stoked his popularity, but he was haunted by his remark:  'Read my lips. No new taxes'

• Bush Snr was defeated by Bill Clinton in 1992, but would live to see his eldest son George W. be elected twice 

By KEITH GRIFFITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 23:54 EST, 30 November 2018 | UPDATED: 06:00 EST, 1 December 2018

George Herbert Walker Bush, America's 41st president, has died at the age 94.
The Second World War hero passed away at 10.10pm CT on Friday at his home in Houston, Texas, his office confirmed in a statement.
The statement did not specify the cause of death, but Bush had a form of Parkinson's disease and had been hospitalized several times for pneumonia and other infections in recent years. Days before his death, Bush was reportedly being treated for low blood pressure.
Bush Snr, who presided over the final days of the Cold War and the breakup of the Soviet Union, died less than eight months after his beloved wife of 70 years, Barbara, passed away.

His eldest son George W. Bush, the 43rd president, paid tribute to his father and the head of their political dynasty on behalf of his siblings, saying: 'Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died.'
'George H.W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41's life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared for and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens,' the younger Bush added.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871248-6449107-George_Herbert_Walker_Bush_America_s_41st_president_died_on_Frid-a-73_1543646029143

+40

George H.W. Bush, America's 41st president, died on Friday at his home in Houston age 94. He is seen above in 2013
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870780-6449107-Bush_embraces_former_first_lady_Barbara_Bush_in_2006_after_she_i-a-78_1543646029224

+40

Bush embraces former first lady Barbara Bush in 2006 after she introduced him at a Mother's Day Luncheon in Dallas
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871370-6449107-George_W_Bush_and_his_father_Former_President_George_H_W_Bush_wa-a-67_1543646029053

+40

George W. Bush, and his father Former President George H.W. Bush wave to the crowd before the Texas Rangers host the San Francisco Giants in Game Four of the 2010 World Series
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870168-6449107-Bush_gives_his_acceptance_speech_for_the_persidential_nomination-a-76_1543646029166

+40

Bush gives his acceptance speech for the persidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in New Orleans, Louisiana on August 18, 1988

Brent Scowcroft, the national security adviser during Bush's presidency, said: 'The world has lost a great leader; this country has lost one of its best; and I have lost one of my dearest friends. I am heartbroken.'
President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania also paid tribute to Bush in a statement.
'Through his essential authenticity, disarming wit, and unwavering commitment to faith, family, and country President Bush inspired generations of his fellow Americans to public service - to be, in his words, 'a thousand points of light' illuminating the greatness, hope, and opportunity of America to the world,' the statement said.
'His example lives on, and will continue to stir future Americans to pursue a greater cause.'
Other former presidents also weighed in with condolences on Bush's death.
Bill Clinton, who defeated Bush in the 1992 election, said in a statement: 'I will be forever grateful for the friendship we formed. From the moment I met him as a young governor invited to his home in Kennebunkport, I was struck by the kindness he showed to Chelsea, by his innate and genuine decency, and by his devotion to Barbara, his children, and their growing brood.'
'Few Americans have been—or will ever be—able to match President Bush's record of service to the United States and the joy he took every day from it; from his military service in World War II, to his work in Congress, the United Nations, China, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Vice Presidency and the Presidency, where he worked to move the post Cold War world toward greater unity, peace, and freedom,' Clinton added.
Barack Obama said in a statement: 'America has lost a patriot and humble servant in George Herbert Walker Bush.'
'While our hearts are heavy today, they are also filled with gratitude. Our thoughts are with the entire Bush family tonight – and all who were inspired by George and Barbara's example,' he added.
The son of a senator and father of a president, Bush was the man with the golden resume who rose through the political ranks: from congressman to U.N. ambassador, Republican Party chairman to envoy to China, CIA director to two-term vice president under the hugely popular Ronald Reagan. 
The 1991 Gulf War stoked his popularity. But Bush would acknowledge that he had trouble articulating 'the vision thing,' and he was haunted by his decision to break a stern, solemn vow he made to voters: 'Read my lips. No new taxes.'
He lost his bid for re-election to Bill Clinton in a campaign in which businessman H. Ross Perot took almost 19 percent of the vote as an independent candidate. Still, he lived to see his son, George W., twice elected to the presidency - only the second father-and-son chief executives, following John Adams and John Quincy Adams.
After his 1992 defeat, Bush complained that media-created 'myths' gave voters a mistaken impression that he did not identify with the lives of ordinary Americans. He decided he lost because he 'just wasn't a good enough communicator.'

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870454-6449107-George_H_Bush_Naval_Aviator_Cadet_is_seen_in_early_1943-a-77_1543646029167

+40

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870352-6449107-U_S_Navy_pilot_George_Bush_sits_in_the_cockpit_of_an_Avenger_fig-a-79_1543646029229

+40

Bush is seen left as a Naval aviator cadet in 1943 and right as a young Navy pilot
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870358-6449107-Navy_pilot_George_H_W_Bush_sits_in_the_cockpit_of_a_VT_51_Avenge-a-83_1543646029268

+40

Navy pilot George H.W. Bush sits in the cockpit of a VT-51 Avenger in 1944
Once out of office, Bush was content to remain on the sidelines, except for an occasional speech or paid appearance and visits abroad. He backed Clinton on the North American Free Trade Agreement, which had its genesis during his own presidency. He visited the Middle East, where he was revered for his defense of Kuwait. And he returned to China, where he was welcomed as 'an old friend' from his days as the U.S. ambassador there.
He later teamed with Clinton to raise tens of millions of dollars for victims of a 2004 tsunami in the Indian Ocean and Hurricane Katrina, which swamped New Orleans and the Gulf Coast in 2005. During their wide-ranging travels, the political odd couple grew close.
'Who would have thought that I would be working with Bill Clinton, of all people?' Bush quipped in October 2005.
In his post-presidency, Bush's popularity rebounded with the growth of his reputation as a fundamentally decent and well-meaning leader who, although he was not a stirring orator or a dreamy visionary, was a steadfast humanitarian. Elected officials and celebrities of both parties publicly expressed their fondness.
After Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990, Bush quickly began building an international military coalition that included other Arab states. After liberating Kuwait, he rejected suggestions that the U.S. carry the offensive to Baghdad, choosing to end the hostilities a mere 100 hours after the start of the ground war.
'That wasn't our objective,' he told The Associated Press in 2011 from his office just a few blocks from his Houston home. 'The good thing about it is there was so much less loss of human life than had been predicted and indeed than we might have feared.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870410-6449107-As_a_first_baseman_and_captain_of_his_baseball_team_at_Yale_Univ-a-82_1543646029263

+40

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870408-6449107-As_a_first_baseman_and_captain_of_his_baseball_team_at_Yale_Univ-a-80_1543646029257

+40

As a first baseman and captain of his baseball team at Yale University, Bush played in the first-ever College World Series in 1947
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870416-6449107-Navy_Lieutenant_George_Bush_and_Barbara_Pierce_get_married_in_th-a-74_1543646029157

+40

Navy Lieutenant George Bush and Barbara Pierce get married in the First Presbyterian Church in Rye, New York on January 6, 1945
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870396-6449107-Bush_and_his_bride_Barbara_are_seen_at_their_wedding_in_1945_in_-a-81_1543646029258

+40

Bush and his bride Barbara are seen at their wedding in 1945 in Rye, New York
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870362-6449107-George_H_W_Bush_with_his_wife_Barbara_and_their_children_Pauline-a-90_1543646029399

+40

George H. W. Bush with his wife, Barbara, and their children Pauline and George W. on horse in the yard of their Midlands, Texas ranch
But the decisive military defeat did not lead to the regime's downfall, as many in the administration had hoped.
'I miscalculated,' acknowledged Bush. His legacy was dogged for years by doubts about the decision not to remove Saddam Hussein. The Iraqi leader was eventually ousted in 2003, in the war led by Bush's son that was followed by a long, bloody insurgency.
George H.W. Bush entered the White House in 1989 with a reputation as a man of indecision and indeterminate views. One newsmagazine suggested he was a 'wimp.'
But his work-hard, play-hard approach to the presidency won broad public approval. He held more news conferences in most months than Reagan did in most years.
The Iraq crisis of 1990-91 brought out all the skills Bush had honed in a quarter-century of politics and public service.
After winning United Nations support and a green light from a reluctant Congress, Bush unleashed a punishing air war against Iraq and a five-day ground juggernaut that sent Iraqi forces reeling in disarray back to Baghdad. 
He basked in the biggest outpouring of patriotism and pride in America's military since World War II, and his approval ratings soared to nearly 90 percent.
The other battles he fought as president, including a war on drugs and a crusade to make American children the best educated in the world, were not so decisively won.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871488-6449107-Bush_is_seen_early_in_his_political_career_in_teh_1960s_when_he_-a-85_1543646029318

+40

Bush is seen early in his political career in teh 1960s, when he was a Congressman from Texas
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871854-6449107-George_H_W_Bush_and_an_unidentified_woman_peek_around_a_partitio-a-71_1543646029056

+40

George H.W. Bush and an unidentified woman peek around a partition with a poster of Ronald Reagan, one of his opponents for the Republican party presidential nomination, in 1980
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6873210-6449107-image-a-109_1543649608443

+40

Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan and vice presidential candidate George Bush and their wives wave goodbye as they leave Detroit two days after the 1980 Republican National Convention 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871542-6449107-Portrait_of_the_Bush_family_sitting_in_front_of_their_home_in_Ke-a-68_1543646029055

+40

Portrait of the Bush family sitting in front of their home in Kennebunkport, Maine in 1986
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6872016-6449107-image-a-100_1543646497793

+40

President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George Bush, accompanied by wives Nancy and Barbara, join hands after Reagan endorses Bush's run for the Presidency during the President's Dinner in Washington on May 11, 1988
He rode into office pledging to make the United States a 'kinder, gentler' nation and calling on Americans to volunteer their time for good causes - an effort he said would create 'a thousand points of light.'
It was Bush's violation of a different pledge, the no-new-taxes promise, that helped sink his bid for a second term. He abandoned the idea in his second year, cutting a deficit-reduction deal that angered many congressional Republicans and contributed to GOP losses in the 1990 midterm elections.
An avid outdoorsman who took Theodore Roosevelt as a model, Bush sought to safeguard the environment and signed the first improvements to the Clean Air Act in more than a decade. It was activism with a Republican cast, allowing polluters to buy others' clean-air credits and giving industry flexibility on how to meet tougher goals on smog.
He also signed the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act to ban workplace discrimination against people with disabilities and require improved access to public places and transportation.
Bush failed to rein in the deficit, which had tripled to $3 trillion under Reagan and galloped ahead by as much as $300 billion a year under Bush, who put his finger on it in his inauguration speech: 'We have more will than wallet.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871654-6449107-American_politician_George_H_W_Bush_takes_the_oath_of_office_as_-a-69_1543646029055

+40

American politician George H.W. Bush takes the oath of office as he is sworn in as 41st President of the United States by Chief Justice William Rehnquist at the US Capitol in 1989
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871494-6449107-image-a-84_1543646029315

+40

Bush and First Lady Barbara Bush walk down Pennsylvania Avenue during the Inaugural Parade following his inauguration
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870832-6449107-image-a-88_1543646029352

+40

President Bush is seen standing in the White House Oval Office, possibly before giving speech on Iraq and Gulf Crisis
Seven years of economic growth ended in mid-1990, just as the Gulf crisis began to unfold. Bush insisted the recession would be 'short and shallow,' and lawmakers did not even try to pass a jobs bill or other relief measures.
Bush's true interests lay elsewhere, outside the realm of nettlesome domestic politics. 'I love coping with the problems in foreign affairs,' he told a child who asked what he liked best about being president.
He operated at times like a one-man State Department, on the phone at dawn with his peers - Mikhail Gorbachev of the Soviet Union, Francois Mitterrand of France, Germany's Helmut Kohl.
Communism began to crumble on his watch, with the Berlin Wall coming down, the Warsaw Pact disintegrating and the Soviet satellites falling out of orbit.
He seized leadership of the NATO alliance with a bold and ultimately successful proposal for deep troop and tank cuts in Europe. Huge crowds cheered him on a triumphal tour through Poland and Hungary.
Bush's invasion of Panama in December 1989 was a military precursor of the Gulf War: a quick operation with a resoundingly superior American force. But in Panama, the troops seized dictator Manuel Noriega and brought him back to the United States in chains to stand trial on drug-trafficking charges.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871704-6449107-image-a-70_1543646029056

+40

Bush meets with his military advisors at the Pentagon to discuss the Gulf crisis, in Washington August 15, 1990
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871696-6449107-image-a-86_1543646029349

+40

Bush is surrounded by U.S. military personnel as he greets troops in the eastern Saudi Arabian city of Dhahran in 1990
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871690-6449107-image-a-87_1543646029350

+40

Bush addresses U.S. military personnel from different branches of the U.S. Armed Forces after arriving to celebrate the Thanksgiving Day holiday, at an air base in the eastern Saudi Arabian city of Dhahran November 22, 1990
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871868-6449107-image-a-91_1543646029402

+40

Bush waves goodbye to U.S. Marines and members of the British 7th Armoured Brigade as they conclude a Thanksgiving Day visit with troops in the Saudi desert November 22, 1990
Months after the Gulf War, Washington became engrossed in a different sort of confrontation over one of Bush's nominees to the Supreme Court. 
Clarence Thomas, a little-known federal appeals court judge, was accused of sexual harassment by a former colleague named Anita Hill. His confirmation hearings exploded into a national spectacle, sparking an intense debate over race, gender and the modern workplace. Thomas was eventually confirmed.
In the closing days of the 1992 campaign, Bush fought the impression that he was distant and disconnected, and he seemed to struggle against the younger, more empathetic Clinton.
During a campaign visit to a grocers' convention, Bush reportedly expressed amazement when shown an electronic checkout scanner. Critics seized on the moment, saying it indicated that the president had become disconnected from voters.
Later at a town-hall style debate, he paused to look at his wristwatch - a seemingly innocent glance that became freighted with deeper meaning because it seemed to reinforce the idea of a bored, impatient incumbent.
In the same debate, Bush became confused by a woman's question about whether the deficit had affected him personally. Clinton, with apparent ease, left his seat, walked to the edge of the stage to address the woman and offered a sympathetic answer.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870646-6449107-image-a-106_1543649319237

+40

Bush is seen holding one of dog Millie's newborn puppies, dwarfed in his hands, on White House lawn
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6872008-6449107-image-a-102_1543646619274

+40

South African anti-apartheid leader and African National Congress (ANC) member Nelson Mandela (L) waves to the media and fans after finishing his joint statement with former US President George Bush (R) on the White House South Lawn in 1990
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871814-6449107-image-a-92_1543646029434

+40

U.S. President George H. W. Bush and Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev shake hands in front of U.S. and Soviet flags at the end of a news conference in Moscow July 31, 1991
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871206-6449107-image-a-89_1543646029367

+40

President George Bush gestures while standing next to former President Gerald Ford during a campaign rally for his second presidential campaign at the Gerald Ford Museum, October 29, 1992
Bush said the pain of losing in 1992 was eased by the warm reception he received after leaving office.
'I lost in '92 because people still thought the economy was in the tank, that I was out of touch and I didn't understand that,' he said in an AP interview shortly before the dedication of his presidential library in 1997. 'The economy wasn't in the tank, and I wasn't out of touch, but I lost. I couldn't get through this hue and cry for 'change, change, change' and 'The economy is horrible, still in recession.' 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871700-6449107-image-a-93_1543646029435

+40

Bush and his wife Barbara, react as their son comes out on stage to accept the Republican presidential nomination in 2000
George Herbert Walker Bush was born June 12, 1924, in Milton, Massachusetts, into the New England elite, a world of prep schools, mansions and servants seemingly untouched by the Great Depression.
His father, Prescott Bush, the son of an Ohio steel magnate, made his fortune as an investment banker and later served 10 years as a senator from Connecticut.
George H.W. Bush enlisted in the Navy on his 18th birthday in 1942, right out of prep school. He returned home to marry his 19-year-old sweetheart, Barbara Pierce, daughter of the publisher of McCall's magazine, in January 1945. They were the longest-married presidential couple in U.S. history. She died on April 17, 2018.
Lean and athletic at 6-foot-2, Bush became a war hero while still a teenager. One of the youngest pilots in the Navy, he flew 58 missions off the carrier USS San Jacinto.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871840-6449107-image-a-96_1543646029484

+40

President George W. Bush sits at his desk in the Oval Office for the first time on Inauguration Day as his father, former President George H.W. Bush, looks on January 20, 2001
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871822-6449107-image-a-95_1543646029452

+40

Former President George H.W. Bush walks the gangway as he arrives for the christening ceremony of the USS George H.W. Bush at Northrop-Grumman's shipyard in Newport News, Virginia October 7, 2006
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871852-6449107-image-a-94_1543646029436

+40

US President George W. Bush waves as he walks out of the Oval Office with his father, former President George H. W. Bush, after Bush signed the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 at the White House in Washington, DC
He had to ditch one plane in the Pacific and was shot down on Sept. 2, 1944, while completing a bombing run against a Japanese radio tower. An American submarine rescued Bush. His two crewmates perished. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross for bravery.
After the war, Bush took just 2½ years to graduate from Yale, then headed west in 1948 to the oil fields of West Texas. Bush and partners helped found Zapata Petroleum Corp. in 1953. Six years later, he moved to Houston and became active in the Republican Party.
In politics, he showed the same commitment he displayed in business, advancing his career through loyalty and subservience.
He was first elected to Congress in 1966 and served two terms. President Richard Nixon appointed him ambassador to the United Nations, and after the 1972 election, named him chairman of the Republican National Committee. Bush struggled to hold the party together as Watergate destroyed the Nixon presidency, then became ambassador to China and CIA chief in the Ford administration.
Bush made his first bid for president in 1980 and won the Iowa caucuses, but Reagan went on to win the nomination.
In the 1988 presidential race, Bush trailed the Democratic nominee, Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis, by as many as 17 points that summer. He did little to help himself by picking Dan Quayle, a lightly regarded junior senator from Indiana, as a running mate.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871486-6449107-image-a-98_1543646029527

+40

Former U.S. president George Bush and his wife Barbara Bush are seen kissing on a giant electronic screen in center field showing the 'Kiss Cam' during the middle of the sixth inning in Game 4 between the Houston Astros and the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Championship Series in Houston, Texas October 16, 2005
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6871208-6449107-image-a-97_1543646029504

+40

Former President George H.W. Bush free falls with Army Golden Knights parachute team member Sgt. 1st Class Mike Elliott, as he makes a dramatic entrance to his presidential museum during a rededication ceremony in College Station, Texas in 2007
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6872488-6449107-image-a-103_1543646827920

+40

U.S. President Barack Obama awards the Medal of Freedom to former U.S. President George H.W. Bush during a ceremony at the White House in Washington February 15, 2011
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6873220-6449107-image-a-111_1543649705348

+40

George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush arrive at the funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, in Houston in April
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6869930-6449107-image-a-72_1543646029056

+40

Former first lady Laura Bush, former President George W. Bush, former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State and first lady Hilary Clinton, former President Barack Obama, former President George H. W. Bush, former first lady Michelle Obama and current first lady Melania Trump pose for a group photo at the funeral ceremony for the late first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church on April 21, 2018 in Houston, Texas
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6873446-6449107-image-a-20_1543650519769

+40

Barbara Bush was buried in this plot on the grounds of the Bush Library at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, and George H.W. Bush will be laid to rest beside her 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6873448-6449107-image-a-17_1543650490622

+40

The presidential seal is seen just inside the iron gate at the entrance to the future gravesite of George H.W. Bush
But Bush soon became an aggressor, stressing patriotic themes and flailing Dukakis as an out-of-touch liberal. He carried 40 states, becoming the first sitting vice president to be elected president since Martin Van Buren in 1836.
He took office with the humility that was his hallmark.
'Some see leadership as high drama, and the sound of trumpets calling, and sometimes it is that,' he said at his inauguration. 'But I see history as a book with many pages, and each day we fill a page with acts of hopefulness and meaning. The new breeze blows, a page turns, the story unfolds.'
Bush approached old age with gusto, celebrating his 75th and 80th birthdays by skydiving over College Station, Texas, the home of his presidential library. He did it again on his 85th birthday in 2009, parachuting near his oceanfront home in Kennebunkport, Maine. He used his presidential library at Texas A&M University as a base for keeping active in civic life.
He became the patriarch of one of the nation's most prominent political families. In addition to George W. becoming president, another son, Jeb, was elected Florida governor in 1998 and made an unsuccessful run for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016.
Bush is survived by five children and their spouses, 17 grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren and two siblings.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 73 years, Barbara, his second child Pauline Robinson 'Robin' Bush, and his brothers Prescott and William 'Bucky' Bush.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 6870472-6449107-image-a-75_1543646029166

+40

George H.W. Bush and his wife Barbara wave to supporters in Houston, Texas after winning the 1988 presidential election

[size=34]Things to Know about George H.W. Bush [/size]

George H.W. Bush was largely known for his work in public office, from his time as a Texas congressman and CIA director to his years in the White House as president and Ronald Reagan's vice president. 
But the World War II hero and great-grandfather also was an avid skydiver, played in the first-ever College World Series and was the longest-married president in U.S. history.
Here's a closer look at those and other elements of his life:
NICKNAMES: George H.W. Bush was known to his family as 'Poppy.' His wife said her husband was named after his maternal grandfather, who was known as 'Pops,' so the younger Bush was called 'Little Pops.' 
The nickname evolved into Poppy, which Bush 'hated as he got older, but it was hard to break such a long-standing habit,' Barbara Bush wrote in her memoir. But his grandchildren knew him as 'Gampy,' a name he embraced.
MEETING HIS WIFE: Bush met his wife at a dance in Greenwich, Connecticut, in 1941. He was a 17-year-old high school senior, while she was 16 and attending school in Charleston, South Carolina, and home for Christmas. 
The band was playing Glenn Miller tunes, but when he asked her to dance, the music changed to a waltz. He didn't how to waltz, so they talked. They were married on Jan. 6, 1945, and were the longest-married presidential couple. She died on April 17, 2018
THE SEA: Bush's lifelong love of the sea and boats began in Maine, with his grandfather teaching him how to handle and dock a boat. At age 9, he and his 11-year-old brother were first allowed to take out their grandfather's lobster boat by themselves. 
Bush wrote in a 1987 book that he loved 'the physical sensation of steering a powerful machine, throttle open.' In 2010, to enjoy at his home in Maine, he bought a 38-foot fishing boat, Fidelity V, equipped with three 300-horsepower engines and capable of reaching 75 mph.
THE AIR: During World War II, Bush was one of the Navy's youngest pilots when he was shot down during a 1944 bombing mission. He parachuted into the Pacific Ocean and was rescued by an American submarine. 
He fulfilled a wartime promise to himself to someday skydive just for fun in 1997, when at age 73 and over his family's objections, he bailed out over a military base in Arizona, 'to show that old guys can still do stuff,' he said. He later marked his 75th, 80th, 85th and 90th birthdays with parachute jumps.
BASEBALL: As a first baseman and captain of his baseball team at Yale University, Bush played in the first-ever College World Series in 1947. 
His team lost to the University of California. Yale again reached the College World Series finals in 1948 and this time lost to Southern California. Sparky Anderson, who would win the World Series as manager of the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers, was a batboy on the Southern Cal team.
OIL: Bush learned the oil industry in West Texas, starting in 1948 as an equipment clerk for an oilfield services company. He drove from New England to Texas in a 1947 Studebaker and ordered his first chicken fried steak — a Texas staple — at a restaurant in Abilene, wondering if it was chicken or steak but trying to fit in. 
The deep-fried steak smothered in gravy became a Bush favorite. A restored 1947 Studebaker identical to the one he owned is on display at his presidential museum at Texas A&M University.
GULF WAR: The signature event of Bush's presidency was the 1991 Gulf War. But when he ordered U.S. troops to Kuwait, he acknowledged, he was prepared for the worst. 'We feared it would go badly,' he told The Associated Press in 2011, on the 20th anniversary of Operation Desert Storm. 
'But it went far more clean ... far more quickly, far less loss of our lives and Iraqi lives, than we worried about. It was very rewarding.'
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bush said he wrote one letter-to-the-editor as president, and it went to The New York Times regarding a story about him being out of touch because he didn't know about grocery store price-scanning devices.
'I was — I thought — smeared by an ugly story,' he said in a 1999 C-SPAN interview. Bush said his remark describing the device as 'amazing' came at a convention showing off the new technology and was portrayed by 'some lazy little reporter ... (who) wasn't even there. ... And the damn story lived on.'
HORSESHOES: During his White House years, Bush annually held two horseshoe tournaments with teams made up of everyone who worked there, including groundskeepers, pilots, cooks and gardeners. 'One of the best things we did,' he recalled during a 2000 interview with Time magazine. 
He headed the ranking committee, making himself and son Marvin the top seeds. The horseshoe pits were by the southwest gate on the White House grounds, and the sounds of clanging horseshoes could be heard daily as workers practiced ahead of the tournaments.
FINAL RESTING PLACE: After suffering an irregular heartbeat in 2000, he told reporters as he was released from a Florida hospital that mortality was something he thought about 'but not with fear.' 
'If you've got faith, you don't think of it with fear.' His burial site, behind his presidential museum in College Station, Texas, is near a pond and across a footbridge over a creek where three large post oaks form a semicircle. 
'The loveliest resting spot I have ever seen,' Barbara Bush once described it. Their daughter, Robin, who died of leukemia at age 3 in 1953, was moved to the site in 2000, and Barbara Bush was buried there in April 2018.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 06 Dec 2018, 06:31

The ceremony honoring Pres. Bush sen. was moving and respectful - I'm actually glad that 44 didn't speak, I can imagine him adding segments of his campaign speeches... Other presidents and world's leaders joined the ceremony.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 06 Dec 2018, 06:41

Last night I watched a tv report about people from Western Sahara, a part of the African continent which had been occupied by Spain, and when they left in the 1970s, Morocco occupied it and suppressed its people, the resistance fights for the independence of the country. So hundreds of thousands of people fled to Algeria, and they still live in refugee camps - after more than 40 years. It's the third generation being born and brouggt up there, they have no future and depend on international welfare. And since the number of conflicts and refugees increases worldwide, they get lesser and lesser.
What's really shocking me: I have never heard about that before...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:09

Those areas could all be helped by us if we, the relatively wealthy, helped them by, for instance, planting trees in the growing areas of the desert which is encroaching faster and faster because of global warming.

Such schemes exist. It just needs a bigger push

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 06 Dec 2018, 12:37

It was nice to see Prince Charles at the funeral , the Queen and Bush had a special friendship.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 06 Dec 2018, 15:02

PAN - It occurred to me that much of the effort to fight climate change is being done in "third world" countries - and much less in the "developed world". Wouldn't it be ironic if someday we were the ones who needed their help?

Hopefully the technologies being tested will be adaptable to other areas and politics won't get in the way of science.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 06 Dec 2018, 15:16

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6467691/Rudy-says-getting-Trump-answer-Muellers-written-questions-nightmare.html

[size=34]Rudy says getting Trump to answer Mueller's written questions was 'a nightmare' and it took him THREE WEEKS to do 'what would normally take two days'[/size]

• The president's lawyer said Trump has a 'great memory' 

• Yet it was a 'real job' to remember 2016 since it was busiest year of his life

• Trump last month turned in his written responses to special counsel Mueller

• After months of talks, he refused to submit to an interview 

• Trump is 'ready to resist' a subpoena 

• Trump has said he has 'one of the greatest memories of all time' 

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 09:50 EST, 6 December 2018 UPDATED: 09:57 EST, 6 December 2018

• [email=?subject=Read%20this:%20Rudy%20says%20getting%20Trump%20to%20answer%20Mueller%27s%20written%20questions%20was%20%27a%20nightmare%27%20and%20it%20took%20him%20THREE%20WEEKS%20to%20do%20%27what%20would%20normally%20take%20two%20days%27&body=Rudy%20says%20getting%20Trump%20to%20answer%20Mueller%27s%20written%20questions%20was%20%27a%20nightmare%27%20and%20it%20took%20him%20THREE%20WEEKS%20to%20do%20%27what%20would%20normally%20take%20two%20days%27%0A%0AFor%20President%20Donald%20Trump%2C%20responding%20to%20dozens%20of%20questions%20by%20Special%20Counsel%20Robert%20Mueller%20was%20a%20burden%20that%20took%20three%20weeks%20to%20accomplish.%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6467691%2FRudy-says-getting-Trump-answer-Muellers-written-questions-nightmare.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top%0A%0A%0AMost%20Read%20Articles%3A%0A%0AA%20nation%20unites%20to%20mourn%20a%20warrior%2C%20a%20statesman%20and%20a%20father%3A%20Presidents%20and%20politicians%20come%20together%20in%20tribute%20to%20George%20H.W.%20Bush%20as%20his%20son%20cries%20for%20%27the%20best%20father%20a%20son%20or%20daughter%20could%20ever%20have%27%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6463597%2FGeorge-H-W-Bush-funeral-Final-salute-41st-President.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AStone-faced%20Hillary%20Clinton%20IGNORES%C2%A0%20Donald%20Trump%20as%20he%20and%20Melania%20arrive%20for%20front%20row%20seats%20at%20George%20H.W.%20Bush%27s%20funeral%C2%A0%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6463819%2FHillary-Clinton-ignores-Donald-Trump-Melania-arrive-row-seats-Bushs-funeral.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0ATrump%20leaves%20George%20H.W.%20Bush%27s%20state%20funeral%20at%20first%20opportunity%20and%20makes%20it%20back%20to%20White%20House%20before%2041st%20president%27s%20casket%20leaves%20cathedral%20grounds%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6464465%2FTrump-leaves-George-H-W-Bushs-state-funeral-opportunity.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A]e-mail[/email]

[size=32]1[/size]
[size]

[/size]
View comments
[size]
[/size]

For President Donald Trump, responding to dozens of questions by Special Counsel Robert Mueller was a burden, his lawyer Rudy Giuliani says –adding that it was a 'real job' to remember what happened in 2016.  
'Answering those questions was a nightmare,' the former New York mayor told the Atlantic. 'It took him about three weeks to do what would normally take two days,' Giuliani said.
Giuliani also indicated it was a challenge for Trump to recall the answers to questions about 2016 – a key year for the probe, since it would encompass the time period when any possible collusion between Trump campaign officials and Russians would have occurred.
'He's got a great memory,' Giuliani told the publication. 'However, basically we were answering questions about 2016, the busiest year of his life. It's a real job to remember.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7092892-6467691-image-a-76_1544107624308

+4

'Answering those questions was a nightmare,' former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani said of President Donald Trump's responses to special counsel Robert Mueller
The comment raises the possibility that Trump in his responses may have on occasion answered that he didn't recall the answers. 

By one count, Donald Trump Jr. didn't recall 54 things during his congressional testimony. 
Trump in the past has said he has 'one of the great memories of all time.' 
Any alleged obstruction of justice, reported to be an area of interest for investigators, would have occurred mostly 2017, when Trump was president and fired FBI director James Comey and former security advisor Mike Flynn. 

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7070388-0-image-a-129_1544061586929George H.W. Bush's casket lies in repose at St. Martin's...

[size]

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7092884-6467691-image-a-77_1544107629791

+4

IT WAS A VERY BUSY YEAR: Giuliani said Trump has a 'great memory' but it was a struggle to recall things from 2016, when he was frantically running for president 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7092856-6467691-image-a-78_1544107636412

+4

LET'S MEET UP IN PERSON NEXT TIME: Special counsel Robert Mueller could subpoena Trump if he finds his written responses are inadequate – but that would provoke a court fight
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7092852-6467691-image-a-79_1544107643825

+4

Trump was aghast when he learned former campaign chair Paul Manafort, jailed after his conviction on corruption charges, was being held in solitary confinement
But Trump told Fox News in November he was unlikely to respond to questions about obstruction.
"I think we've wasted enough time on this witch hunt and the answer is probably, we're finished," he told host Chris Wallace.
Giuliani also spoke about the president's view of how former campaign chair Paul Manafort has been treated – after Trump refused to take a pardon of Manafort off the table. 
'The thing that upsets [the president] the most is the treatment of Manafort,' Giuliani said. 
After Trump learned Manafort was being held in solitary confinement, according to Giuliani, 'He said to me, 'Don't they realize we're America?'
As for any Mueller subpoena if the special counsel isn't satisfied with Trump's responses, 'We're ready to resist that,' Giuliani said. Such a move would almost certainly provoke a court fight.
Giuliani also shared other concerns about his client, who regularly rails against Mueller and has made comments about former lawyer Michael Cohen and longtime advisor Roger Stone that seasoned lawyers have said amount to witness tampering.
 'I don't think there's anyone in the world that can stop Donald Trump from tweeting,' Giuliani said, 'I've tried.'
'I don't think following his lead is the right thing. He's the client,' Giuliani said. 'The more controlled a person is, the more intelligent they are, the more they can make the decision. But he's just like every other client. He's not more … you know, controlled than any other client. In fact, he's a little less.'
Officials have been grumbling that the White House has yet to develop a detailed plan for how to counter the possible release of a Mueller report, although new acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker, installed by Trump, will have to sign off on its release.  
'We would always put together plans with the knowledge that [Trump] wouldn't use them or they'd go off the rails,' a former official told the Atlantic. 'And at this point, with Mueller, they've decided they're not even going to do that.'
'It's like, 'Jesus, take the wheel,' the source said, 'but scarier.'
 [/size]
ADVERTISEMENT
Read more:

• Trump White House Has No Plan to Counter Mueller Report - The Atlantic

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 06 Dec 2018, 15:33

Trump's plan to counter the Mueller report is to refuse to deal with it except to lie and bluster and call names. He thinks it will go away just because he wants it to. Surprise! It doesn't work that way. (I hope Mueller has enough solid evidence to put the whole family away for a long time.)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 06 Dec 2018, 15:59

He has been countering it since the investigation started.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 07 Dec 2018, 14:37

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6470741/ABC-anchors-fire-giggling-idea-Trumps-state-funeral.html

[size=34]‘He's going to choreograph it with trumpets and fanfare’: ABC News anchors under fire for 'disgusting' giggling and jeering over the idea of Trump state funeral[/size]

• Commentators Terry Moran and Devin Dwyer made the remarks on Wednesday

• The two were reporting on ABC's live stream of George H.W Bush's funeral 

• Moran said Trump's would have a 'different tone... more trumpets and fanfare' 

• He said Trump would declare the occasion the 'best presidential funeral ever'  

By MIRANDA ALDERSLEY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 04:45 EST, 7 December 2018 | UPDATED: 09:20 EST, 7 December 2018

President Trump was himself the subject rather than the instigator of an inappropriate joke this week. 
ABC news correspondents Terry Moran and Devin Dwyer came under fire for their remarks about how Trump's funeral might compare to that of former President George H.W Bush.
Chief foreign correspondent Moran and contributing correspondent Dwyer were covering the live stream of the 41st President's funeral on Wednesday when they began to imagine how differently Trump would want his own service.  

Moran mused that there would 'Probably a different tone in that funeral… first he's going to choreograph it, so there might be more trumpets and fanfare.'
Dwyer agreed: 'Yes, he would do it bigger, one would imagine.'
Moran went on to say that Trump would declare the occasion, in his now-familiar style of rhetoric, the 'best presidential funeral ever.' 
'No one will ever have seen anything like that funeral,' he continued.
Plenty of the pundits covering Wednesday's ceremony commented on the stark disparities between the 41st and 45th presidents, but conservative figures were quick to condemn the ABC incident as 'bad taste'.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7128904-6470741-image-a-8_1544175528927

+5

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7128906-6470741-Dwyer_agreed_Yes_he_would_do_it_bigger_one_would_imagine_-a-1_1544187365826

+5

ABC's chief foreign correspondent Terry Moran (left) and contributing correspondent Devin Dwyer (right) were covering the live stream of the 41st President's funeral on Wednesday when they began to imagine how Trump would want his funeral 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7129078-6470741-President_Donald_J_Trump_and_First_Lady_Melania_Trump_attend_the-m-13_1544175779055

+5

President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump attend the state funeral service of former President George W. Bush

Dan Gainor, vice president of Media Research Center - a conservative organisation with a mission to 'expose and neutralize the propaganda arm of the Left: the national news media' - agreed. 
He told Fox News: 'To mock [Trump] during the coverage of the president's funeral is just despicable garbage.'
'I would say ABC News should apologize, but it wouldn't be sincere if it did. This is about the billionth example of unprofessional journalism in their attacks on Trump.
'It's only more outrageous because of the solemn occasion,' Gainor said. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7128908-6470741-Former_President_George_W_Bush_walks_past_President_Donald_Trump-a-6_1544181404895

+5

Former President George W. Bush walks past President Donald Trump to speak at the State Funeral for his father, former President George H.W. Bush on Wednesday 
The awkward exchange began in the moments before the plane carrying George H.W Bush departed for the funeral at Washington National Cathedral. 
To fill the gap while waiting for take off, Moran noted that Trump's election was a 'repudiation of much of what George Herbert Walker Bush and George Walker Bush stood for because the people who voted him wanted that repudiation.'  
Moran added that Trump's presidency 'is an expression of the will of the people,' and is 'vastly different than any of the Bushes.'
However it is not unusual for the President himself to be under fire for uncomfortable remarks. He was widely criticized for his mockery of a journalist's physical disability in 2015 and for his attack on the 1996 Miss Universe winner Alicia Machado, who says he called her 'Miss Piggy' and 'Miss Housekeeping'. 
In 2016 Trump appeared to hint at rival Hillary Clinton's assasination, when he said that  'second amendment people' could stop her from making judicial nominations. 

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7031028-6470741-George_H_W_Bush_41st_President_of_the_United_States_will_be_give-a-11_1544175710493

+5

George H.W. Bush, 41st President of the United States, was given a public funeral in the Washington National Cathedral in the nation's capital on Wednesday.The list of funeral service speakers marked the first time since Lyndon Johnson's death in 1973 that a sitting president was not tapped to eulogize a late president
'By the way, and if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know,' he said. 
'It sounds like just a joke gone bad. I hope he clears it up very quickly,' Republican House Speaker Rep. Paul Ryan said at the time.  
Bush, who died late Friday at his home in Houston at age 94, was memorialized Wednesday during an emotional funeral service at the Washington National Cathedral.    
As well as current President Trump and first lady Melania, all four living former occupants of the White House were in attendance. 
The ceremony brought together world envoys, Americans of high office and a man from Maine who used to fix things in Bush's house on the water.  
The list of funeral service speakers marked the first time since Lyndon Johnson's death in 1973 that a sitting president was not tapped to eulogize a late president. 
Clinton did so for Richard Nixon, and George W. Bush eulogized Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford.
ADVERTISE

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 07 Dec 2018, 14:39

I thought the same thing he was probably thinking how he could out do this funeral when it's his time.

I'm sure many others were thinking it as well.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 08 Dec 2018, 10:47

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6473449/Trump-Jr-attacks-Alexandria-Ocasio-Cortez-dog-eating-meme-replies-subpoena-power.html

[size=34]Ouch! Don Jr. mocks 'socialist' Ocasio-Cortez with dog-eating meme, only for her to remind him that she is 'a member of a body that will have subpoena power in a month'[/size]

• Don Jr., 40, posted the 'funny cuz it's true' meme on Instagram Thursday 

• The meme featured a picture of Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and implied that socialist policies lead to people eating dogs

• Ocasio-Cortez, 29, is a newly-elected democratic socialist from New York

• She then clapped back at Don Jr, remarking on how he targets her when news breaks about Mueller's Russia election interference investigation

• She also reminded him that she's going to take her elected place in congress next month, meaning she'll soon be part of 'the body' with subpoena power

• Please, keep it coming Jr - it’s definitely a "very, very large brain" idea to troll a member of a body that will have subpoena power in a month. Have fun!' 

By MAXINE SHEN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 21:06 EST, 7 December 2018 | UPDATED: 03:30 EST, 8 December 2018

Rep-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hit back at Trump Jr. with the not-so subtle reminder that she will be 'a member of a body that will have subpoena power in a month', after he posted a meme implying that socialists eat dogs. 
On Thursday, the president's son took time out of his day to upload a meme to Instagram that he wrote he found to be particularly 'funny cuz it's true!!!' 
The meme featured a picture of Ocasio-Cortez, 29, a democratic socialist from New York, speaking with media, paired with the words: 'Why are you so afraid of a socialist economy?' 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7158332-6473449-image-m-2_1544232558371

+6

Donald Trump Jr. posted this meme on his Instagram account on Thursday, featuring a picture of Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and President Trump
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7158332-6473449-image-m-4_1544232578923

Don Jr. posted the meme because he thought it was 'funny cuz it's true!!!'
Beneath that, there was a picture of President Trump wagging his finger at a podium and the text, 'Because Americans want to walk their dogs, not eat them.'

The meme is said to be trying to draw a connection between Ocasio-Cortez's political beliefs and reports coming out of Venezuela that dogs, cats and zoo animals are being eaten by residents due to the country's corruption and its socialist policies that have failed, the Washington Post reported. 
Friday morning, Ocasio-Cortez took to Twitter with her response to 40-year-old Don Jr.'s glee over the meme. 
'I have noticed that Junior here has a habit of posting nonsense about me whenever the Mueller investigation heats up,' Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. 
'Please, keep it coming Jr - it’s definitely a "very, very large brain" idea to troll a member of a body that will have subpoena power in a month. Have fun!'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7158416-6473449-image-a-11_1544234618133

+6

Ocasio-Cortez (on December 6) tweeted out a response to Don Jr.'s remarks on Friday, noting that it's curious that he targets her when new Mueller investigation information comes out
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7158342-6473449-Ocasio_Cortez_then_reminded_Don_Jr_in_July_that_she_ll_assume_he-m-20_1544234758766

+6

Ocasio-Cortez then reminded Don Jr (in July) that she'll assume her elected position soon
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7158508-6473449-image-m-8_1544232674687

+6

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7158570-6473449-image-a-10_1544232742002

+6

Ocasio-Cortez's two tweets regarding Don Jr.'s meme-posting. The first tweet was her response to Don Jr. The second was posted after conservatives cried foul about her words

On Thursday — the same day Don Jr. posted the meme — a New York judge ordered special counsel Robert Mueller, who is overseeing the investigation into Russian interference during the 2016 presidential election, to turn over a sentencing memo for the president's former lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, who has been cooperating with Mueller's investigation, on Friday.   
Conservatives and Trump fans were quick to jump on Ocasio-Cortez's words, accusing her of threatening to improperly use subpoena power to retaliate against the president for his son's behavior.    
'A sitting congresswoman has no right to use her power to threaten someone. @DonaldJTrumpJr has rights, and @Ocasio2018 threatened them because he "trolled" her. That's inexcusable,' tweeted conservative journalist Justin T. Haskins. 
'I just want to be clear: Did a member-elect of Congress just threaten a private citizen with a subpoena over a meme? There is no way in hell that this can be legal,' conservative commentator Candace Owens tweeted. 
Don Jr.'s new girlfriend also questioned Ocasio-Cortez's tweet with one of her own. 
'Did you just threaten to subpoena someone for criticizing you? As a lawyer and former prosecutor I find this deeply troubling,' Kimberly Guilfoyle tweeted. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7162134-6473449-image-m-41_1544246019002

+6

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7162128-6473449-image-m-37_1544245920184

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7162132-6473449-image-m-42_1544246027180

Conservative tweeters were quick to accuse Ocasio-Cortez of threatening to use her position against Don Jr.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7162126-6473449-image-m-40_1544245993432

Others supported her by denying that her tweet was tantamount to a threat
While conservatives pounded the keyboard about Ocasio-Cortez's alleged 'threat,' others against a private citizen, others were quick to back her up and point out that she wasn't threatening anybody. 
'Only a poorly educated right-winger with a tenuous grasp of language would ever perceive this as some sort of "threat,"' wrote tweeter @Ajohms1956.
'The comments here are hilarious and a little disturbing,' tweet @chris_newsome wrote. 'People either cannot read or they're reading what their minds want to read. You said you'll be a member of a body that has subpoena power. You DID NOT say that YOU will have subpoena power.'
Ocasio fans were also quick to praise her for smacking down Don Jr. so effectively and also roasting Don Jr. himself. 
'"Junior here" That’s it. I’m a fan for life and sending AOC monthly contributions,' tweeter @UNSEATpac wrote.
'So glad his stepmom is doing something about cyber bullying,' tweeted @grivkowich, referring to Melania Trump's 'Be Best' campaign. 
Many others simply replied to her tweet with memes and animated gifs of their own, including mic drops, applause and video game combat finishing moves. 
After being inundated on social media, Ocasio-Cortez posted a tweet responding to outraged conservatives by reminding them all of how subpoena power actually works. 
'For the GOP crying that this is a “threat” - I don’t have power to subpoena anybody,' she wrote about an hour and a half after her original tweet went up. 
'Congress as a body, GOP included, has the power. No indiv. member can issue a subpoena unless they are a Chair (which, as a freshman, I can assure you I will not be). Also must be under purview.'  
Ocasio-Cortez has been a lightning rod for conservatives at all levels since she beat 10-term incumbent Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-NY) during the New York primaries in June, before going on to win the midterm election. 
Ocasio-Cortez is currently drumming up support for the 'Green New Deal,' which promotes country-wide conversion to clean energy and the guarantee of a 'green job' for those who want one.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 08 Dec 2018, 11:59

Gosh, this is a bit like the playground with taunts - and power. Is this all they've got when stufflike this is being written. It includes facts!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/07/michael-cohen-trump-former-fixer-prison-time

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 08 Dec 2018, 12:30

Cohen spoke with Russian to set up Trump-Putin meeting, Mueller reveals
Trump implicated in campaign finance law violations as prosecutors allege he directed lawyer to pay off two women

• As it happened: Mueller’s filings on Cohen and Manafort

Jon Swaine and Tom McCarthy in New York
Fri 7 Dec 2018 19.21 ESTFirst published on Fri 7 Dec 2018 17.00 EST

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Cohen spoke with Russian to set up Trump-Putin meeting%2C Mueller reveals&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fus-news%2F2018%2Fdec%2F07%2Fmichael-cohen-trump-former-fixer-prison-time%3FCMP%3Dshare_btn_tw][/url]

Shares

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 5025
 Michael Cohen. The remarkable new details were disclosed in court filings submitted by Robert Mueller. Photograph: Justin Lane/EPA
One of Donald Trump’s closest advisers spoke during the 2016 election campaign with a Russian offering help from Moscow and a meeting with the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, the special counsel Robert Mueller revealed on Friday.

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 3763

[size=16]Manafort told 'multiple lies' after agreeing to cooperate, Mueller says

Read more

Federal prosecutors also alleged that Trump directed the adviser, Michael Cohen, to make illegal payoffs to two women who claimed to have had sexual relationships with Trump, implicating the president in the violation of campaign finance laws. They recommended that Cohen receive a prison sentence of about four years.
The disclosures heaped new pressure on Trump, whose presidency has come under siege from Mueller’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 US election and a spinoff inquiry into Cohen, his lawyer and legal fixer for more than a decade.
They were swiftly followed by new revelations in the criminal prosecution of Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort. He was accused by Mueller of repeatedly lying about his relationship with an alleged former Russian intelligence operative and about his recent communications with Trump’s White House.
Following a week of increasingly frenzied attacks against Mueller, Trump falsely stated on Friday evening that the latest development “totally clears”him. In fact, investigations appeared to be edging ever closer to the door of the Oval Office.
Mueller said in a court filing that Cohen had provided him “useful information” on matters at the core of the Trump-Russia investigation. He also recounted details of communications with people “connected to the White House” this year and last, Mueller said, hinting Cohen may have implicated Trump and aides in additional wrongdoing.
The special counsel’s filing said Cohen’s November 2015 conversation with a Russian national was among other “contacts with Russian interests” he had while the Kremlin was interfering in the election to help Trump.

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 3000

The latest major Trump resignations and firings

Read more

Cohen also told investigators he made efforts to contact the Russian government to propose a meeting between Trump and Putin in New York in September 2015, after discussing this with Trump.
In a separate filing, federal prosecutors in New York said Cohen “acted in coordination and at the direction of” Trump when setting up payments to buy the silence of Karen McDougal, a former model, and Stormy Daniels, a pornographic actor, who were considering making public their allegations of affairs with Trump.
Cohen and Trump paid the women to suppress their damaging stories and “to influence the 2016 presidential election”, the filing said.
The White House press secretary, Sarah Sanders, told reporters the filings contained “nothing of value that wasn’t already known”, saying Cohen had “repeatedly lied” and was “no hero”.
Mueller separately alleged that Manafort falsely claimed he had had no contact with anyone in Trump’s administration since they entered office. In fact, Mueller said, he was in communication with a senior official until February this year, and asked an intermediary to talk to an official on his behalf as recently as late May.

The contacts will be of great interest to investigators. Whether Manafort’s ties to pro-Kremlin figures in eastern Europe are connected to Russia’s interference in the 2016 election remains the central unanswered question in the Trump-Russia inquiry.
While Mueller said Cohen provided significant help to his investigation, prosecutors said Cohen had overstated his overall cooperation with the government and had shown a “rose-colored view of the seriousness of the crimes”.
Cohen was motivated by greed and “repeatedly used his power and influence for deceptive ends”, the prosecutors said in a court filing. “After cheating the [Internal Revenue Service] for years, lying to banks and to Congress, and seeking to criminally influence the presidential election, Cohen’s decision to plead guilty – rather than seek a pardon for his manifold crimes – does not make him a hero.”
Despite his wrongdoing, Mueller said, Cohen disclosed “useful information concerning certain discrete Russia-related matters” at the core of his investigation. US intelligence agencies have concluded Russia’s interference was aimed at helping Trump and harming the campaign of Hillary Clinton, his Democratic opponent.

Cohen previously pleaded guilty to lying to Congress about Trump’s plans to develop a building in Russia. He admitted the project continued well into Trump’s campaign for the presidency – contradicting Trump’s account – and that Cohen spoke with a Kremlin official about securing Russian government support.

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 3763

Facebook[url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Cohen spoke with Russian to set up Trump-Putin meeting%2C Mueller reveals&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fus-news%2F2018%2Fdec%2F07%2Fmichael-cohen-trump-former-fixer-prison-time%3FCMP%3Dshare_btn_tw%26page%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2]Twitter[/url][url=http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?description=Cohen spoke with Russian to set up Trump-Putin meeting%2C Mueller reveals&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fus-news%2F2018%2Fdec%2F07%2Fmichael-cohen-trump-former-fixer-prison-time%3Fpage%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2&media=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.guim.co.uk%2F2f42414d09383be679f2eeb6dbecae82acc897af%2F0_23_3763_2258%2F3763.jpg]Pinterest[/url]
 Paul Manafort leaves court in Washington in February. Photograph: Shawn Thew/EPA
On Friday, Mueller disclosed that in November 2015, Cohen separately spoke with a Russian “who claimed to be a ‘trusted person’ in the Russian Federation” and offered Trump’s campaign “political synergy” and “synergy on a government level”.
The Russian repeatedly proposed a meeting between Trump and Putin, according to Mueller, and told Cohen the meeting “could have a ‘phenomenal’ impact ‘not only in political but in a business dimension as well’”, because there was “no bigger warranty in any project than consent of Putin”.

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 4837

John Kelly interviewed by Mueller's team and expected to quit – report

Read more

Mueller said Cohen chose not to pursue the offer of assistance in part because he was working on the project with someone else he “understood to have his own connections to the Russian government”, a likely reference to Felix Sater, a developer who was working on the Trump Tower Moscow plans.
Cohen previously pleaded guilty in August to violating election campaign finance laws by arranging the payments to the two women. He also pleaded guilty to several financial crimes relating to his business and tax affairs.
Last week, Mueller tore up a plea deal with Manafort and told a judge he repeatedly lied to investigators even after agreeing to cooperate with the Trump-Russia investigation.

In his submission on Friday, Mueller said Manafort had continued lying about five areas of the inquiry, including his relationship with Konstantin Kilimnik, a Russian employee of Manafort’s political consulting firm. Kilimnik is alleged to have ties to Russian intelligence services, which he denies. Manafort and Kilimnik are accused of asking business associates early this year to lie about their past lobbying work.[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 08 Dec 2018, 22:51

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6474451/Giuliani-says-Trumps-rebuttal-Mueller-probe-aim-Presidents-foes.html

[size=34]Rudy Giuliani says Trump's 87-page 'major counter report' to the Mueller probe will take aim at all of the president's favorite foes, from ex-spy Christopher Steele to FBI lovers Strzok and Page[/size]

• Giuliani confirmed that he is preparing a rebuttal ahead of Mueller's report

• It will take aim at the various players involved in the Russia collusion probe

• Targets Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, Bruce and Nellie Ohr, and Christopher Steel

• Aims to prove entire investigation had tainted Democrat partisan origins

• Giuliani is also preparing legal defense that obstruction would be impossible 

By KEITH GRIFFITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 11:53 EST, 8 December 2018 | UPDATED: 12:28 EST, 8 December 2018

President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani has said that the rebuttal he is preparing to special counsel Robert Mueller will seek to discredit the President's many familiar foes who were involved in various stages of the investigation.
'You're d**ned right we are. I can't imagine how we wouldn't' target the various personalities involved, Giuliani told the Huffington Post on Friday, after Trump announced the 'major counter report'. 
FBI lovers Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, high DOJ official Bruce Ohr and his Democrat consultant wife Nellie, and British ex-spy Christopher Steel, who authored the 'dirty dossier' for Hillary Clinton's campaign, are all said to be prime subjects of Giuliani's report.
'I could write a whole book,' Giuliani said of the various players involved, saying he planned to lay out an argument that the investigation was tainted by partisanship and illegitimate surveillance of the Trump campaign from the very beginning.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7173416-6474451-image-a-10_1544287121348

+5

Rudy Giuliani (above) said that the rebuttal he is preparing to special counsel Robert Mueller will seek to discredit the President's many familiar foes
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7142270-6470219-image-a-89_1544197763975

+5

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7142266-6470219-image-a-90_1544197772148

The president tweeted Friday that his legal team will be issuing a lengthy rebuttal to Mueller

Trump on Friday morning announced his legal team was working on the report, writing on Twitter: 'It has been incorrectly reported that Rudy Giuliani and others will not be doing a counter to the Mueller Report. That is Fake News. Already 87 pages done, but obviously cannot complete until we see the final Witch Hunt Report.' 
'We will be doing a major Counter Report to the Mueller Report. This should never again be allowed to happen to a future President of the United States!' Trump added. 
Giuliani confirmed the draft report is approximately 87 pages at present, but noted it could run longer or shorter when released, depending on what Mueller publishes and what responses Trump's team includes. 
The report will likely make the case that Mueller's probe has its origins in the dossier that Steele was hired to write by lawyers for Clinton's campaign and the Democratic National Committee, alleging links between Trump and Russia. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7173418-6474451-image-a-24_1544287334559

+5

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7173422-6474451-Bruce_Ohr-a-25_1544289623039

+5

British ex-spy Christopher Steele's (right) main contact at the Department of Justice was Bruce Ohr (right), whose wife Nellie Ohr did opposition research on Trump for Fusion GPS

Steele's contact at the Department of Justice was Bruce Ohr, whose wife Nellie Ohr was hired to conduct opposition research on Trump for Democrat-financed consultancy Fusion GPS, which also contracted the Steele dossier.
Giuliani will likely argue that that the Democrat-financed Steele dossier was funneled into the DOJ by Ohr and formed the main evidence that partisan FBI investigators used to obtain surveillance warrants on Trump campaign advisor Carter Page - a claim investigators have denied.
Strzok and Page will also come under scrutiny in Giuliani's report. Strzok led the FBI's investigation into Russian election interference before becoming the top agent on Mueller's team after the special counsel was appointed.
Text messages between Strzok and lover Page, an FBI lawyer, revealed strong anti-Trump sentiments and a cryptic reference to an 'insurance policy' against a Trump presidency. Strzok was fired and Page resigned from the FBI, and in testimony they both strongly denied that any political bias affected their work.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7173420-6474451-image-m-18_1544287279261
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7173428-6474451-image-m-16_1544287256180

FBI lovers Lisa Page (left) and Peter Strzok (right) will also get scrutiny in Giuliani's report

Giuliani's report is also likely to take aim at fired FBI Director James Comey, his deputy Andrew McCabe, former CIA Director John Brennan, and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, painting them as partisans who planted the seeds of the Russia investigation to damage Trump's candidacy and presidency, which they deny.
In addition to the attack on the probe's legitimacy, Giuliani said he also plans to make legal arguments, including that Trump is immune from obstruction charges while acting in his legal capacity as president. 
Trump's firing of Comey in May 2017, which led to the appointment of Mueller, could not be obstruction of justice, Giuliani argued. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 3 7174850-6474451-image-a-26_1544290097155

+5

'As a matter of law, there can't be obstruction in this case,' he told HuffPo.
Responding to the charge that prior to firing him Trump had asked Comey to go easy in investigating his national security advisor Mike Flynn, Giuliani said that Trump had merely made a polite request because he believed Flynn's innocence.
'In obstruction, you don't have 'please.' It's usually: 'I'll break your legs,' Giuliani said, noting that Comey had continued investigating Flynn. 'It's sure as hell not very effective obstruction.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 09 Dec 2018, 16:25

As far as I know, "They did it because they hate me" isn't a legal defense. If Guliani can get any facts out of his boss, maybe they have something to bring to court. Otherwise it's still more of the same whining and lies.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next