George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 4

+9
party animal - not!
LizzyNY
Missa
melbert
carolhathaway
annemarie
Way2Old4Dis
it's me
What Would He Say
13 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 4

Post by LizzyNY Sat 17 Mar 2018, 12:50

McCabe's statement is brilliant and damning. It is a clear explanation of the situation and is a million times more credible than anything Trump or his lackeys say. Mueller must be getting very close for Trump to let his vindictive side show so plainly.

Someone should remind the bastard-in-chief that karma is a bitch. Maybe Junior's divorce is just the first step in the universe's revenge.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 17 Mar 2018, 13:23

Ppl in congress

All rep?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 17 Mar 2018, 13:44

This says it all

https://twitter.com/JohnBrennan/status/974978856997224448

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 17 Mar 2018, 13:46

We all hope ...
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 17 Mar 2018, 14:47

party animal - not! wrote:
This says it all

https://twitter.com/JohnBrennan/status/974978856997224448
It does, unless you read some of the comments. Then you realize we have a very long way to go before the influence of this toad is erased.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 17 Mar 2018, 16:44

Agreed, Lizzy.

This is really scary stuff.......this company owned by Robert Mercer and working for Trump but based in the UK, now has at least 20 data points on every single person in the US based on a breach of of 50-60 million Facebook pages they have harvested. They have only just been suspended by Facebook

Here is the whistleblower

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2018/mar/17/cambridge-analytica-whistleblower-we-spent-1m-harvesting-millions-of-facebook-profiles-video

Took the Guardian many months to get this story - and Facebook threatened to sue the paper yesterday in an attempt to silence them

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 17 Mar 2018, 19:13

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5513177/Ex-CIA-chief-John-Brennan-slams-disgraced-demagogue-Trump.html

[size=34]'America will triumph over you': Ex-CIA chief John Brennan slams 'disgraced demagogue' Trump after president gloated over firing of 'choirboy' FBI deputy director McCabe[/size]

• Former CIA chief John Brennan assailed President Donald Trump on Twitter

• Brennan called Trump 'a disgraced demagogue' over the firing of Andy McCabe

• McCabe, former FBI deputy director, was let go by Jeff Sessions on Friday

• Sessions accused McCabe of lying under oath, a charge denies

• It came just two days before McCabe was due to retire, cancelling his pension 

• Full government pension was said to be worth about $1.8million

• McCabe was involved in Clinton email investigation and Russia meddling probe

• He blasted firing saying he'd been 'singled out' in Trump's 'war' on the FBI

• Trump tweeted it's 'a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI' 

By ARIEL ZILBER and KEITH GRIFFITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 11:55 EDT, 17 March 2018 | UPDATED: 12:26 EDT, 17 March 2018

The former head of the Central Intelligence Agency has assailed President Donald Trump as a 'disgraced demagogue' who will 'take [his] rightful place…in the dustbin of history.'
John Brennan posted an angry tweet on Saturday in response to Trump’s tweet hours earlier celebrating Attorney General Jeff Sessions' decision to fire former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe.
'When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history,' Brennan tweeted early Saturday.
'You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A48954500000578-0-image-a-57_1521301194719

+7

John Brennan, the former head of the Central Intelligence Agency, has assailed President Donald Trump as a 'disgraced demagogue' who will 'take [his] rightful place…in the dustbin of history'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A484F3100000578-0-image-a-56_1521300964471

+7

Brennan's tweet (above) was in response to Trump's tweet from earlier on Saturday gloating about the firing of former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A48957100000578-5513177-image-m-80_1521303894258

+7

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A48958400000578-5513177-image-a-79_1521303888793

+7

Trump (pictured left on Thursday) has long voiced complaints about McCabe (right)
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4623A600000578-5512029-image-a-80_1521260680147

+7

Trump, who has long called for McCabe's firing but said the decision was up to Attorney General Jeff Sessions, chimed in just after midnight on Twitter, calling the ouster 'a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI - A great day for Democracy.'

'Sanctimonious James Comey was his boss and made McCabe look like a choirboy. He knew all about the lies and corruption going on at the highest levels of the FBI!' Trump continued. 
Trump fired Comey as FBI director last May.
Sessions fired McCabe, the FBI's former No. 2 official who was deeply involved in the agency's investigations of Hillary Clinton and Russia's role in the 2016 US election.
Sessions announced the firing on Friday, saying that an investigation indicated that McCabe had lied under oath - a major ethical violation for an FBI official and potentially a criminal offense.
The latest sacking came just two days before McCabe planned to retire after more than 20 years of FBI service, yanking the full government pension he would have otherwise qualified for. 
The pension was said to be worth about $1.8million. 
Sessions explained McCabe's firing by saying that the Justice Department Inspector General and FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility - an office stacked with career employees and McCabe loyalists - had found serious lapses on McCabe's part. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A45C97E00000578-5512029-image-m-76_1521257537428

+7

AG Jeff Sessions (above) said that internal DOJ and FBI investigations into McCabe's conduct had concluded that he had 'lacked candor - including under oath - on multiple occasions'

'Based on the report of the Inspector General, the findings of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility, and the recommendation of the Department's senior career official, I have terminated the employment of Andrew McCabe effective immediately,' said Sessions. 
Sessions said in a statement that investigators 'concluded that Mr. McCabe had made an unauthorized disclosure to the news media and lacked candor - including under oath - on multiple occasions.' 
The move to fire McCabe was made on the recommendation of FBI disciplinary officials and comes ahead of an IG report expected to conclude that McCabe was not forthcoming with the watchdog office as it reviewed the bureau's handling of the Clinton's email investigation. 
McCabe immediately disputed the findings in his own statement, saying the firing was part of a Trump administration 'war' on the FBI.
'I am being singled out and treated this way because of the role I played, the actions I took, and the events I witnessed in the aftermath of the firing of James Comey,' McCabe said, referring to the former FBI director who was fired by Trump last May.  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A3ACE7900000578-5506853-image-a-4_1521144387777

+7

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders called McCabe a 'bad actor' on Thursday, referring to his decision to allow FBI officials to speak to reporters about a Clinton Foundation investigation in 2016

Glass House for a Diver on the World's Most Extraordin…

'The release of this report was accelerated only after my testimony to the House Intelligence Committee revealed that I would corroborate former Director Comey’s accounts of his discussions with the President.
'The OIG’s (Office of Inspector General) focus on me and this report became a part of an unprecedented effort by the Administration, driven by the President himself, to remove me from my position, destroy my reputation, and possibly strip me of a pension that I worked 21 years to earn.' 
McCabe served as acting FBI director from May 9 to August 2 of 2017, between Comey's firing and Christopher Wray's confirmation in that role.

On Thursday, the White House signaled that it took a dim view of McCabe's eleventh-hour effort to avoid being fired just days before his retirement was due to begin and he qualified for a lucrative government pension. 
At the same time, the Trump administration made it clear that the president isn't eager to take responsibility for firing him.
'That's a determination that we would leave up to Attorney General [Jeff] Sessions,' White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters on Thursday.
'But we do think that it is well-documented that he has had some very troubling behavior. And by most accounts [he's] a bad actor and should have some causes for concern.' 
Terminating McCabe 'would be a decision that the Department of Justice would have to make,' Sanders added, punting the ball down Constitution Avenue. 
McCabe had planned to retire on Sunday with full benefits.
He stepped down from his active DOJ role on January 29, but had continued to draw a salary in advance of his planned retirement date following a 22-year federal law enforcement career.
His leave from active duty notably coincided with the public release of the House Intelligence Committee memo on alleged FBI abuses of Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) warrants, which came out on February 2.
The memo alleged that McCabe signed one of the four FISC applications to conduct surveillance on former Trump campaign advisor Carter Page.

[size=34]Andrew McCabe full statement on being fired by Jeff Sessions[/size]

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe released the following statement following his firing on March 16, 2017 for alleged 'lack of candor' under oath:  
I have been an FBI Special Agent for over 21 years. I spent half of that time investigating Russian Organized Crime as a street agent and Supervisor in New York City. I have spent the second half of my career focusing on national security issues and protecting this country from terrorism. I served in some of the most challenging, demanding investigative and leadership roles in the FBI. And I was privileged to serve as Deputy Director during a particularly tough time.
For the last year and a half, my family and I have been the targets of an unrelenting assault on our reputation and my service to this country. Articles too numerous to count have leveled every sort of false, defamatory and degrading allegation against us. The president’s tweets have amplified and exacerbated it all. He called for my firing. He called for me to be stripped of my pension after more than 20 years of service. And all along we have said nothing, never wanting to distract from the mission of the FBI by addressing the lies told and repeated about it.
No more.
The investigation by the Justice Department’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) has to be understood in the context of the attacks on my credibility. The investigation flows from my attempt to explain the FBI’s involvement and my supervision of investigations involving Hillary Clinton. I was being portrayed in the media over and over as a political partisan, accused of closing down investigations under political pressure. The FBI was portrayed as caving under that pressure, and making decisions for political rather than law enforcement purposes. Nothing was further from the truth. In fact, this entire investigation stems from my efforts, fully authorized under FBI rules, to set the record straight on behalf of the Bureau and to make it clear that we were continuing an investigation that people in DOJ opposed.
The OIG investigation has focused on information I chose to share with a reporter through my public affairs officer and a legal counselor. As Deputy Director, I was one of only a few people who had the authority to do that. It was not a secret, it took place over several days, and others, including the Director, were aware of the interaction with the reporter. It was the same type of exchange with the media that the Deputy Director oversees several times per week. In fact it was the same type of work that I continued to do under Director Wray, at his request. The investigation subsequently focused on who I talked to, when I talked to them, and so forth. During these inquiries, I answered questions truthfully and as accurately as I could amidst the chaos that surrounded me. And when I thought my answers were misunderstood, I contacted investigators to correct them.
But looking at that in isolation completely misses the big picture. The big picture is a tale of what can happen when law enforcement is politicized, public servants are attacked, and people who are supposed to cherish and protect our institutions become instruments for damaging those institutions and people.
Here is the reality: I am being singled out and treated this way because of the role I played, the actions I took, and the events I witnessed in the aftermath of the firing of James Comey. The release of this report was accelerated only after my testimony to the House Intelligence Committee revealed that I would corroborate former Director Comey’s accounts of his discussions with the President. The OIG’s focus on me and this report became a part of an unprecedented effort by the Administration, driven by the President himself, to remove me from my position, destroy my reputation, and possibly strip me of a pension that I worked 21 years to earn. The accelerated release of the report, and the punitive actions taken in response, make sense only when viewed through this lens. Thursday’s comments from the White House are just the latest example of this.
This attack on my credibility is one part of a larger effort not just to slander me personally, but to taint the FBI, law enforcement, and intelligence professionals more generally. It is part of this Administration’s ongoing war on the FBI and the efforts of the Special Counsel investigation, which continue to this day. Their persistence in this campaign only highlights the importance of the Special Counsel’s work.
I have always prided myself on serving my country with distinction and integrity, and I have always encouraged those around me to do the same. Just ask them. To have my career end in this way, and to be accused of lacking candor when at worst I was distracted in the midst of chaotic events, is incredibly disappointing and unfair. But it will not erase the important work I was prevailed to be a part of, the results of which will in the end be revealed for the country to see.
I have unfailing faith in the men and women of the FBI and I am confident that their efforts to seek justice will not be deterred.

Those applications all cited the 'dirty dossier' funded by Hillary Clinton's campaign and complied by British ex-spy Christopher Steele. 
The memo read in part: 'Furthermore, Deputy Director McCabe testified before the Committee in December 2017 that no surveillance warrant would have been sought from the FISC without the Steele dossier information.'
On Thursday, McCabe was summoned to the Justice Department to plead his case in an effort to preserve his pension.
Sessions didn't meet with him personally, but McCabe sat down with senior attorneys in the department.
Trump has complained repeatedly about Sessions, carping that his unexpected recusal from investigations into claims of Trump campaign collusion with Russians sparked an independent counsel probe that he sees as needless and intrusive.  
Trump has frequently singled out McCabe in arguing that FBI leadership is biased against his administration.
He attacked McCabe during his White House campaign trail, following the revelation that his wife had accepted campaign contributions from the political action committee of then-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a close Clinton ally, during a failed state Senate run.   
'Problem is that the acting head of the FBI & the person in charge of the Hillary investigation, Andrew McCabe, got $700,000 from H for wife!' Trump tweeted last July. 
The FBI has said McCabe received ethics approval and was not overseeing the Clinton investigation at the time.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A46157000000578-5513177-image-a-71_1521303831379

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A46157700000578-5513177-image-a-72_1521303831592

The DOJ's Office of Inspector General, which investigated the FBI's handling of the Hillary Clinton classified email affair for more than a year, reportedly concluded that McCabe authorized FBI officials to speak with a journalist for an October 2016 story in The Wall Street Journal.
The IG report, which led to the disciplinary recommendation against McCabe, has not yet been publicly released.
McCabe played key supervisory roles at the FBI during major events including the Boston Marathon bombing. 
The Justice Department sidestepped questions about McCabe on Thursday, telling the Associated Press only that it 'follows a prescribed process by which an employee may be terminated.'
'That process includes recommendations from career employees and no termination decision is final until the conclusion of that process,' an agency spokeswoman said.

[size=18]FBI boss Andrew McCabe stepped down in January

[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 18 Mar 2018, 15:19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5514269/Trump-campaign-hired-analytics-firm-used-50M-Facebook-no-permission.html

[size=34]'We exploited Facebook to harvest millions of people's data': Whistleblower claims analytics firm employed by Trump's campaign tapped private information of more than 50M users without permission[/size]

• 50million users' information was harvested without their consent by Cambridge Analytica in 2014

• This happened after the firm had a $15m investment and wooed Steve Bannon promising tools to identify personalities of American voters and sway them 

• But CA did not have enough Facebook data to give Bannon the goods 

• According to Chris Wiley who worked at CA they utilized a system to acquire access to 50million Facebooks illegitimately 

• In 2014 a not yet-Trump Campaign chief strategist Steve Bannon was brought onto the board of Cambridge Analytica  

• Facebook says CA previously said they would destroy their users data in 2015, but they didn't follow through - FB blocked CA Friday while they investigate  

• CA insists that none of the data was used by the Trump campaign

• Trump campaign officials downplayed Cambridge Analytica's role saying they used the them for TV advertising & paid some of its most skilled data employees  

• Special counsel Robert Mueller has requested that the firm turn over the emails of any employees who worked on the campaign 

By JESSICA FINN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM  and ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 20:56 EDT, 17 March 2018 | UPDATED: 08:35 EDT, 18 March 2018

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4B0A6500000578-5513611-image-a-2_1521316347563

+6

Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix is pictured. The company was banned from Facebook on Friday over its handling of user data 
A data analysis firm employed by President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign tapped the Facebook profiles of more than 50 million users without their permission.
The move allowed Cambridge Analytica to capitalize on the private social media activity of a large portion of the U.S. electorate, developing techniques that underpinned its work on President Trump’s campaign in 2016, according to two major reports on Saturday.
One of the largest data leaks in Facebook history allowed Cambridge Analytica, which had ties to Trump campaign strategist Steve Bannon, to develop techniques that formed the basis of its work on the Trump campaign, The New York Times and The Guardian reported. 

Facebook said it has suspended Cambridge Analytica- it has also suspended University of Cambridge psychology professor Aleksandr Kogan who created the harvesting app in question; and another individual, Christopher Wylie of Eunoia Technologies (previously employed with Cambride Analytica), who also allegedly received user data from the app.
Wylie, former Cambride Analytica worker, turned whistleblower has become a focal point in the illegitimate acquisitions of the 50million Facebook profiles and user data.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4C666200000578-5514269-Christopher_Wylie-m-16_1521352680832

+6

Whistleblower: Christopher Wylie says he assisted in harvesting Facebook users data while working for Cambridge Analytica and they used the data to analyze political proclivities 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4B0A6900000578-5514269-Trump_s_campaign_hired_Cambridge_Analytica_The_company_insists_t-a-1_1521376220414

+6

Trump's campaign hired Cambridge Analytica. The company insists that none of the information it got from Kogan was used for the president's 2016 campaign and that it deleted it all
Wylie, who is now just 28-years-old, and arguably a tech prodigy, told the Guardian he has a paper trail of the harvested 50million-user data, along with receipts, invoices, emails and legal letters – that all support how between June and August of 2014 the Facebook accounts and data had been compromised. 
Most damning of all, in 2014, he had a letter from Facebook's own lawyers admitting that Cambridge Analytica had acquired the data illegitimately. 
By opening up his records during the time of his employment with Cambridge Analytica, he is breaking a non-disclosure agreement and risks being sued.
Additionally, he is breaking the confidence of Steve Bannon and Robert Mercer, the CEO of Cambridge Analytica.
In 2014, Bannon had become a board member for Cambridge Analytica, and went on to become Trump's chief campaign strategist.
Facebook said it suspended Cambridge Analytica over allegations that it kept the improperly obtained user data after telling Facebook it had been deleted. 
In a blog post, Facebook explained that Cambridge Analytica had years ago received user data from a Facebook app that purported to be a psychological research tool, though the firm was not authorized to have the information.  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4B16B300000578-5513611-image-a-4_1521316495269

+6

In 2014, the company hired Cambridge professor Dr. Aleksandr Kogan. He obtained information legally from 270,000 Facebook users but then shared it with Cambridge Analytica which was against the rules
Cambridge Analytica later certified in 2015 that it had destroyed the information it had received, according to Facebook, although the social network said it received reports 'several days ago' that not all the data was deleted.
Facebook says it is investigating.  
Cambridge Analytica denied wrongdoing in a statement. It said the parent company's SCL Elections unit hired Kogan to undertake 'a large scale research project in the U.S.,' but subsequently deleted all data it received from Kogan's company after learning that Kogan had obtained data in violation of Facebook policies. 
According to Cambridge Analytica's parent company, SCL Elections, the firm said none of Kogan's data was used in its 2016 election work for the 'avoidance of doubt.'
Kogan did not immediately reply to an emailed request for comment. Wylie could not immediately be located.
The Facebook blog post, written by deputy general counsel Paul Grewal, cited the 'public prominence' of Cambridge Analytica, called the alleged data retention an 'unacceptable violation of trust' and said the social network will take legal action if necessary to hold all parties 'responsible and accountable for any unlawful behavior.' 
Cambridge Analytica is still probably best known for its political work during the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign. The company claims to build psychological profiles based on personal details from millions of Americans that can categorize individual voters.
It worked for both the primary campaign of Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, and Trump's general-election campaign.   
Trump's campaign Saturday denied using the firm's data, saying it relied on the Republican National Committee for its data.
'The campaign used the RNC for its voter data and not Cambridge Analytica,' the campaign said in a statement. 'Using the RNC data was one of the best choices the campaign made. Any claims that voter data were used from another source to support the victory in 2016 are false.'
Cambridge Analytica is backed by the family of billionaire donor Robert Mercer, a hedge fund manager who also supported the Trump campaign and other conservative candidates and causes, including Bannon, the Trump campaign strategist. 

• Trump campaign officials have downplayed Cambridge Analytica's role, saying they briefly used the company for television advertising and paid some of its most skilled data employees.

The firm had secured a $15 million investment from Mercer and wooed Bannon with the promise of tools that could identify the personalities of American voters and influence their behavior.  
Cambridge Analytica did not have the data to make its new products work. So the firm harvested private information from the Facebook profiles of more than 50 million users without their permission.  
A representative for Bannon did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment by the Associated Press.
The company has surfaced in the U.S. probes into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. British officials are also investigating the firm in connection with the June 2016 EU referendum.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4CBB4200000578-0-image-a-13_1521334476989

+6

Steve Bannon became a board member for Cambridge Analytica in about 2014 under it's American shell company 
Trump's former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, disclosed an advisory role with Cambridge Analytica last August. 
SCL later said that position never materialized. 
Flynn is cooperating with special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian election interference after pleading guilty to a felony charge.
Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix also disclosed last November that the company reached out to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange during the campaign to request emails related to the campaign of Democrat Hillary Clinton. 
Nix said Assange denied the request, which came after Assange had said publicly that he had the emails. Clinton campaign emails stolen by Russian agents are one focus of the election-interference probes.
Nix has denied any involvement in Russian election meddling.
Revelations that Cambridge Analytica misused social media data could also be of interest to Mueller's investigation. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4B7CB900000578-5513611-image-a-18_1521317479974

+6

The Conservative mega-donor father-daughter duo Robert and Rebekah Mercer created Cambridge Analytica and also touted Steve Bannon for Trump's campaign 
While much of the thrust of special counsel's investigation has been tightly held, Mueller has requested that the firm turn over the emails of any employees who worked on the campaign, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal last year.
Mueller is also looking at the role Wikileaks played in acquiring and making public the stolen Clinton campaign emails.    
In 2015, Facebook discovered that Cambridge professor Dr. Kogan had given the information to the company after obtaining it legitimately through an app of his own.
Kogan had an app that had access to 270,000 Facebook profiles which were in fact obtained legally. But the number was too low to adequately gather the psychological profiles of voters.
The app was called This Is Your Digital Life and was downloaded by Facebook users once they had already logged in.
Users willingly submitted their information to This Is Your Digital Life but were unaware what Kogan would do with it next, the site claims. 
When Facebook learned that he had shared it with the Cambridge Analytica, they asked both to destroy it.
All assured that they had erased it and they continued using the site. 
However several days ago, Facebook claims it received reports that not all of the information was erased. 
'We are moving aggressively to determine the accuracy of these claims. If true, this is another unacceptable violation of trust and the commitments they made.  
Cambridge Analytica denies the allegation and insisted on Friday that none of the information it received from Kogan was used in the Trump campaign. 
'Cambridge Analytica deleted all data received from GSR,' the company said in a statement. GSR stands for Global Science Research, Kogan's company. 
'We worked with Facebook over this period to ensure that they were satisfied that we had not knowingly breached any of Facebook's terms of service and also provided a signed statement to confirm that all Facebook data and their derivatives had been deleted.
'No data from GSR was used by Cambridge Analytica as part of the services it provided to the Donald Trump 2016 presidential campaign,' its spokesman added.  
Last month, Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller requested Cambridge Analytica turn over documents for his probe into potential Russian interference in the election.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 18 Mar 2018, 16:20

The ‘Washington Post’ has reported that there have been a few Members of Congress who have stepped forward and offered to give Andrew McCabe a job in their offices so he can receive his full pension benefits.  McCabe would just have to work one day ... McCabe so far hasn’t responded.  I hope he takes up this offer.  I’m not saying that McCabe wasn’t guilty of misleading authorities but the way in which he was fired was purely political, vindictive and downright mean. I suspect Sessions was afraid that he might lose his job if he didn’t appease Trump.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 19 Mar 2018, 09:55

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5516375/Trump-unveil-opioid-plan-seeking-death-penalty-drug-dealers-White-House.html

[size=34]Trump to unveil radical plans to EXECUTE major drug dealers as part of the White House response to the opioid crisis[/size]

• President Trump will unveil plan to combat the opioid addiction crisis

• His radical plan will include seeking the death penalty for drug dealers

• He'll also be urging Congress to toughen sentencing laws for drug traffickers

• Trump will outline his proposals at an event in New Hampshire on Monday

• Last year, Trump congratulated President Rodrigo Duterte's drug crackdown in the Philippines

By REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 19:07 EDT, 18 March 2018 | UPDATED: 20:43 EDT, 18 March 2018

President Donald Trump will unveil a plan on Monday to combat the opioid addiction crisis that includes seeking the death penalty for drug dealers and urging Congress to toughen sentencing laws for drug traffickers, White House officials said on Sunday.
The White House plan will also seek to cut opioid prescriptions by a third over the next three years by promoting practices that reduce over prescription of opioids in federal healthcare programs, officials told a news briefing.
Trump will outline his proposals at an event in New Hampshire, which has been hit hard by the opioid epidemic.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A54746600000578-5516375-image-a-9_1521416053993

+3

President Donald Trump (left) talks to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (right) before the opening ceremony of the 31st Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit in Manila on November 13, 2017

'The Department of Justice will seek the death penalty against drug traffickers when it's appropriate under current law,' said Andrew Bremberg, director of Trump's Domestic Policy Council, in the briefing detailing the plan.
The White House did not offer any specific examples of when it would be appropriate to seek the death penalty for drug dealers and referred further questions to the Justice Department.
Trump declared the opioid crisis a national public health emergency in October. He raised the issue of using the death penalty for drug dealers at a rally in Pennsylvania earlier this month. 
The president has repeatedly said individual drug dealers are responsible for thousands of deaths.
Last week, Trump said at a rally in Moon Township, Pennsylvania: 'Think of it, you kill one person you get the death penalty, in many states.
'You kill 5,000 people with drugs, because you're smuggling them in and you're making a lot of money, and people are dying and they don't even do anything.
'Then you wonder why we have a problem, and that's why we have a problem. I don't think we should play games!'
'I never did polling on that, I don't know if that's popular. I don't know if that's unpopular. Probably you'll have some people who say 'Oh that's not nice', Trump continued. 'But these people are killing our kids and killing our families! And we have to do something.'

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A14C1F200000578-5516375-Trump_remarked_on_Saturday_night_at_a_rally_in_Moon_Township_Pen-a-15_1521416408381

+3

Trump remarked last week at a rally in Moon Township, Pennsylvania that the nation should consider the death penalty for drug dealers, whose products kill 'thousands'
Trump cited Singapore and China for their 'zero tolerance' policy on drugs.
In fact, 33 countries allow the death penalty for drug offenses, many of them in Asia, according to a 2012 report from Harm Reduction International.
Surprisingly, the US is among them, at least in theory. 
In 2008, the Supreme Court ruled in Kennedy vs Louisiana left open the question of whether the death penalty for 'offenses against the State' including 'drug kingpin activity' would be constitutionally permissible. 
The US Code authorizes a sentence of death in certain large-scale federal drug trafficking convictions, even when murder is not a component of the conviction. 
But in practice, no criminal has been executed in the US for a crime other than murder since September 1964, when Alabama executed James Coburn for robbery.  
In the Philippines, more than 4,000 mostly poor drug suspects have been killed under President Rodrigo Duterte's drug crackdown, according to the national police, although human rights groups have reported larger death tolls. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A14C1EA00000578-5516375-This_map_shows_countries_with_capital_punishment_for_drug_offens-a-12_1521416379561

+3

This map shows countries with capital punishment for drug offenses in red, and countries that allow the death penalty for drug offenses only in special circumstances in yellow. The US Supreme Court has left open the possibility of death for 'drug kingpin activity'
Last year, Trump congratulated Duterte for his efforts in eradicating drugs from the country, according to a leaked transcript of their phone call. 
'I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem,' Trump reportedly said in his call with Duerte. 
'Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.'
In 2016, every day an average of 175 people died of drug overdoses in the US. 
Drug overdoses are now the leading cause of death for Americans under age 50. 
Trump's plan will also call for the launch of a public awareness campaign about the dangers of narcotics and will support research to develop a vaccine to prevent opioid addiction.
The White House also wants to make sure first responders are fully supplied with naloxone, a lifesaving drug used to treat a narcotic overdose in an emergency situation.  

[size=18]Trump signs new legislation to help fight opioid crisis

[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:35

Maybe he should also look at the fact that even with thousands of drug dealers killed these countries still have a drug problem. Killing dealers doesn't work. New dealers will just take their place because the demand is still there - and it will be there until the underlying causes for drug use are addressed. That costs money Trump and the Republicans are unwilling to spend.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:50

Sadly true

And he is also trying to diverge attention
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 19 Mar 2018, 14:40

it's me wrote:Sadly true

And he is also trying to diverge attention

... plus he's driving a wedge between the Americans who applaud him because they applaud every fart coming out of his mouth or because they've lost friends and family members on drugs on the one hand and those who agree with Lizzy saying that it won't work. Who then might be accused to love drugs themselves because they don't agree with Trump.

Ne of the problems with drugs in the States are pain killers which were given to people with permanent pain by doctors, and these pain killers led to a huge opioid epidemic in the States. Will he kill the doctors? The patients who became drug addicts? Or the pharmaceutic industry who made lots of money but played down the effects these opioids have concerning addiction. But I guess this industry also donated millions on the election campaigns of politicians...

I've spoken to several Philippines who live in Germany but still have family members there. They all said that Duterte's fight didn't change a single thing. But since the jurisdiction is very weak there, people sometimes just accuse their neighbor or a rival to be a drug dealer, and this leads to his execution. Or somebody kills somebody else and reasons it by saying that he was a drug dealer.

How many people need to be killed by drugs you sold to qualify you for death sentence? And how is it proved that it was you and no other dealer who sold them the drugs? I know there are countries where you're sentenced to death because you own drugs, it doesn't make a difference if you're going to sell them or use them on your own. It doesn't change a thing!

But Trump's idea is IMO another try to produce headlines and distract from his own fails and accusations against him.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 19 Mar 2018, 15:31

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5518511/Former-CIA-director-slammed-Senator-Rand-Paul-Trump-row.html

[size=34]Former CIA director is slammed by Senator Rand Paul for branding President Trump a 'disgraced demagogue' who will be confined to 'the dustbin of history'[/size]

• Kentucky GOP Senator Rand Paul blasted John Brennan for Twitter comments

• Paul said Brennan spying on Americans while running agency was disgraceful

• The fiery exchange was triggered by FBI official Andrew McCabe being fired

By PHOEBE SOUTHWORTH FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 10:04 EDT, 19 March 2018 | UPDATED: 10:35 EDT, 19 March 2018

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 0AF25B0C00000514-5518511-Former_CIA_director_John_Brennan_above_has_been_slammed_for_bran-m-24_1521467079023

+3

Former CIA Director John Brennan (pictured) has been slammed by Kentucky GOP Senator Rand Paul for branding President Trump a 'disgraced demagogue' on Twitter
The former CIA director has been slammed for branding President Trumpa 'disgraced demagogue' who will be confined to 'the dustbin of history'.
Kentucky GOP Senator Rand Paulblasted John Brennan on Sunday for suggesting that will be how the President is remembered.
Paul hit back at the former director, saying that him spying on Americans while running the agency was disgraceful.

'This man had the power to search every American's records without a warrant,' Paul tweeted Sunday. 
'What's disgraceful is attacking the Bill of Rights and the freedom of every American.'

• he fierce exchange came after Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired FBI official Andrew McCabe two days before his retirement and eligibility for a full pension.

Sessions said he fired McCabe, the FBI's onetime deputy director, following an FBI report and an inspector general's report on McCabe's handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of private email servers while she was secretary of state. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 1A927E1E00000514-5518511-image-a-8_1521466651833

+3

Brennan posted to Twitter: 'When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history', apparently referring to President Trump (pictured)
Brennan, who declares himself non-partisan on his Twitter page, posted: 'When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 293D399700000578-0-image-a-7_1521465948116

+3

Paul's (pictured) disapproval of Brennan is well known and goes back years
'You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you.'     
Paul's disapproval of Brennan is well known and goes back years, Fox News reported.
He staged a historic 13-hour filibuster on the Senate floor in 2013 to block Barack Obama's nomination of Brennan to lead the CIA.
The senator demanded to know whether the administration would execute a drone strike on an American on U.S. soil.
Just 18 months later Paul joined in a bipartisan call to have Brennan removed as the CIA chief.
The call came after revelations the agency had spied on Senate Intelligence Committee staffers.

[size=18]Rand Paul blocks key vote on budget deal to avoid shutdown
[/size]

U.S. in last-minute vote to end shutdown and avoid meltdown

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 19 Mar 2018, 17:18

A teacher in Arizona's new salary

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/15/1749234/-AZ-teacher-posts-salary-and-asks-I-need-a-college-degree-to-make-this?detail=emaildkre

This is the equivalent of £20-21000! Not a lot is it?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 19 Mar 2018, 18:06

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/15/1749234/-AZ-teacher-posts-salary-and-asks-I-need-a-college-degree-to-make-this?detail=emaildkre

[size=51]AZ teacher posts salary and asks 'I need a college degree to make this?'
[/size]
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 Walter_Einenkel
[url=https://www.dailykos.com/user/Walter Einenkel]By Walter Einenkel[/url]  
Thursday Mar 15, 2018 [size=7]· 11:30 AM EDT

[/size]
142 Comments (142 New)

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 GettyImages-926795266

[url=https://www.dailykos.com/user/Walter Einenkel/rss.xml] RSS[/url]
REBLOGGED BY

• [url=https://www.dailykos.com/blogs/Baja Arizona Kossaks]Baja Arizona Kos[/url]
  • [url=https://www.dailykos.com/blogs/Phoenix Kossacks]Phoenix Kossacks[/url]

TAGS

• Arizona
  • Oklahoma
  • PublicSchools
  • Recommended
  • salaries
  • Schools
  • SocialMedia
  • Teachers
  • WestVirginia
  • elisabethmilich

Sign This Petition

[size=48]Sign if you agree: Teachers deserve pay equity and affordable healthcare[/size]

[*]
By signing this form, you are agreeing to receive occasional emails on this and related campaigns from Daily Kos. You may of course unsubscribe at any time. Here's our privacy policy.

[*]
An Arizona teacher decided to post her “upgraded” salary stub on her Facebook page last week, and it is a very clear reminder that teachers are undervalued and disrespected. While the NRA and Republicans blather on about arming and training teachers to become the first line of defense against a culture of violence that they have manufactured and profited from, teachers are still not pulling in salaries for the work they already do. 

Whispering Winds Academy teacher Elisabeth Milich posted a photo of her salary on Facebook. Her salary is $35,490 per year.
She works for the Paradise Valley Unified School District.
Milich posted the photo after seeing her expected pay raise for taking professional-development courses.
"This is my new pay after taking a few professional development classes," stated Milich in the post. "I actually laughed when I saw the old salary vs. the new one. I mean really, I need a college degree to make this? I paid 80,000 for a college degree, I then paid several hundred more to transfer my certification to Az."
The Facebook post she put up has been taken down, but you can see a screen shot of it here or here. USA Today gives the Arizona median teacher salary breakdown:
The median salary for Arizona elementary school teachers in 2016, adjusted for cost of living, was $42,474, a 2017 analysis by Arizona State University's Morrison Institute for Public Policy found. The median salary for high school teachers was $47,890.
And while Arizona legislators are under the impression that teachers who have two jobs are only interested in buying boats, the hard reality of change is now—as victories in West Virginia for striking teachers and Oklahoma’s legislators on notice from Oklahoma teachers illustrate.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 19 Mar 2018, 18:13

Im totally with Brennan.  Every word rang true.  As far as I’m concerned anyone who continues to support Trump knowing what we know about him loses all credibility ... including Rand Paul.  

Killing drug dealers is scapegoating the real problems. Trump thinks the answer to everything is the heavy hand of the law. Reeks of authoritarian rule.  It’s a totally ineffective answer to the real problems of opioids in our country.  Cracking down on China and other countries for cheap and dangerous production of these types of drugs and pharmaceutical companies for over prescribing to patients would be a good start.  And above all we should be studying the underlying reasons why people feel the need to take them in the first place.  How much does poverty play into addiction?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 19 Mar 2018, 18:55

Insecurity

Worries

A lot of motives

And
Did you read about the 9 years old
Shooting the 13 years old sister
Bec she didn't let him play at some video game ?

At the end of The Sun article

"Every day seven children are shot and killed in the US while a further 40 are shot but survive."
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 19 Mar 2018, 19:15

party animal - not! wrote:A teacher in Arizona's new salary

This is the equivalent of £20-21000! Not a lot is it?
Saw something the other day where the author figured out that if we paid teachers at the same rate we pay babysitters , teachers would make @ $280,000 a year. (He figured hourly pay x @ 30 students x days worked per year.) He didn't include time spent outside of school time spent on planning and paperwork, or reimbursement for all the out of pocket expenses teachers incur which, if reimbursed would add substantially to their salaries.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 19 Mar 2018, 22:30

That I like more Thumbs up!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 19 Mar 2018, 23:05

Lizzy, I never thought of that!  So many people have complained over the decades that teachers don’t get paid enough even though teaching is so consequential to the betterment of our society.  You have to wonder since women by far hold the majority of teaching positions over men that the low pay reflects this gender inequality.  What if most teachers were men??
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 20 Mar 2018, 02:19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5519677/Trump-pushes-death-penalty-drug-kingpins-New-Hampshire.html

[size=34]Only EXECUTIONS and my wall will stop the opioid crisis says Trump as he launches full-throated push for drug-dealer death penalty in the state he once called 'a drug infested den'[/size]

• President Trump traveled to Manchester, New Hampshire on Monday to talk about the nation's opioid addiction crisis

• Trump called for the death penalty to be imposed on drug kingpins during his speech, delivered at a community college

• First lady Melania Trump introduced her husband, as she's also been vocal on the issue of preventing drug addiction 

• President said that without capital punishment 'for the really bad pushers and abusers, we are going to get nowhere'

• He dismissed 'blue ribbon committees' and said without the ultimate punishment 'we're wasting our time'

• Trump also claimed 90 per cent of the heroin in the nation comes across the U.S.-Mexico border

• 'Eventually the Democrats will agree with us and we'll build the wall to keep the damn drugs out,' he said

By DAVID MARTOSKO, US POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM IN MANCHESTER, NH
PUBLISHED: 14:45 EDT, 19 March 2018 | UPDATED: 18:54 EDT, 19 March 2018

With opioid overdose levels skyrocketing, President Donald Trump unveiled a strategy Monday to counter the impact of deadly drugs nationwide – including capital punishment for high-level traffickers
In a direct message to dealers and traffickers, he threw down the gauntlet.
'We will find you, we will arrest you, and we will hold you accountable,' he said to applause during a speech in Manchester, New Hampshire..
And his version of 'toughness,' he said, 'includes the death penalty.'

In a confusing moment on Monday, Trump stepped on his own messaging.
'Unless you have really, really powerful penalties – led by the death penalty – for the really bad pushers and abusers, we are going to get nowhere,' he said, appearing to equate drug 'abusers' with the dealers who supply them.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59A72900000578-5519677-image-a-10_1521485504700

+13

President Trump shared ideas he had for solving the nation's opioid crisis, like putting drug kingpins to death and building his border wall with Mexico 
[size=28]Video playing bottom right...

[size=3]Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:23

Pause
Unmute

[/size][/size]
Current Time0:23
/
Duration Time3:25

Fullscreen

ExpandClose

But most of his pitch was a brushback pitch to the criminals who fuel between one- and three-quarters of a trillion dollars in U.S. illicit drug sales each year.
'Some of these drug dealers will kill thousands of people during their lifetimes ... and they'll get caught, and they'll get 30 days in jail, or they'll go away for a year, or they'll get fined,' the president said.
Yet 'if you kill one person, you get the death penalty or you go away for life.'
Unless that lopsided equation is righted, he said, 'we are just doing the wrong thing. We have got to get tough.'
Part of Trump's task on Monday was to dove-tail his drug addiction policy with his long-stated immigration goals.
He said in New Hampshire that 90 per cent of the heroin in the U.S. comes through the Mexican border.
'Eventually the Democrats will agree with us and we'll build the wall to keep the damn drugs out,' he said, with a partisan audience whooping and cheering.
Sounding more like a campaign rally crowd than a group witnessing a presidential address, they shouted: 'Build that wall! Build that wall!' 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5A021F00000578-5519677-image-a-5_1521489505871

+13

TRAGIC OVERDOSE: President Donald Trump listens as Jeanne and Jim Moser of East Kingston, N.H. speak about their son, Adam, who died of an opioid drug overdose in 2015, during a speech about his plan to combat opioid drug addiction at Manchester Community College, Monday, March 19, 2018, in Manchester, N.H.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59B2C400000578-5519677-image-a-1_1521489044953

+13

Trump traveled to New Hampshire, the first-in-the-nation primary state, for the speech. During the campaign, he referred to New Hampshire as a 'drug infested den'
The president raised eyebrows when he first floated the idea of making the death penalty available to federal prosecutors in some drug trafficking cases.
That national head-scratch split into a serious policy debate last week when a leaked copy of a policy blueprint included the idea of capital punishment for kingpins.
Presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway told reporters aboard Air Force One that the policy proposal 'is about drug traffickers. This is high-level, very specific cases.'
A senior administration official said Sunday night during a conference call with journalists that the Justice Department would only seek that penalty to the degree it is permitted 'under current law.'
American Civil Liberties Union objected loudly on Monday, with Jesselyn McCurdy, deputy director of its Washington legislative office, condemning Trump for endorsing 'draconian law enforcement provisions.'
McCurdy said in a statement that capital punishment for drug dealers would be 'unconstitutional and absurd.'
'Drug trafficking is not an offense for which someone can receive the death penalty. The Supreme Court has repeatedly and consistently rejected the use of the death penalty in cases where there has been no murder by the convicted individual,' she said. 
But Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who appeared on stage with Trump on Monday – but did not speak from the podium – thanked the president for his 'strong leadership.' 
'At the Department of Justice, we have made ending the drug epidemic a priority,' Sessions said. 'We will continue to aggressively prosecute drug traffickers and we will use federal law to seek the death penalty wherever appropriate.' 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59F8CC00000578-5519677-image-a-7_1521489590454

+13

First lady Melania Trump watches as her husband, President Donald Trump speaks to supporters, local politicians and police officers at an event at Manchester Community College on March 19, 2018 in Manchester, New Hampshire 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59A82800000578-5519677-image-a-11_1521485543032

+13

President Trump spoke about the nation's opioid epidemic Monday in Manchester, New Hampshire, a state that he heralded for his primary win, but also called a 'drug infested den' 
The White House has sought to de-emphasize the criminal justice aspects of the president's rollout, focusing instead on prevention and treatment.
Trump played to that priority early in his speech Monday, declaring that 'failure is not an option. Addiction is not our future.'
'It will stop,' he promised.
'We will liberate our country from this crisis,' Trump said, pledging that Americans 'will raise a drug-free generation of American children.'
Trump also dipped his toe Monday into the unique political pond he'll need to master a second time in the 2020 presidential primary season.
A 2017 poll of Granite State residents found that the scourge of illicit drugs was the single biggest problem they faced – scoring higher than jobs, taxes, health care and immigration.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59A2CD00000578-5519677-image-a-19_1521485654801

+13

First lady Melania Trump gave the introduction Monday for her husband, President Donald Trump, in Manchester, New Hampshire 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59839A00000578-5519677-image-a-8_1521489627981

+13

US President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump visit Manchester Central Fire Station in Manchester, New Hampshire on March 19, 2018
It was the first time a majority of New Hampshirites ever told pollsters that any one issue outweighed all other concerns combined.
First lady Melania Trump introduced her husband Monday in New Hampshire, decrying the impact of opioid abuse on young mothers and children.
She said she hopes especially for a greater nationwide focus on educating women about the impact of opioids on unborn babies.
Trump's overall approach blends attacks on illicit drug traffickers and over-prescribing doctors with greater funding of addiction counseling and treatment.
But it remains unclear just how much money the administration will ask Congress to devote to treating what has become a national cancer.
Whatever the amount is, Democrats are likely to claim it amounts to a drop in the bucket.
One aide to a Democratic senator said Monday that the left side of Capitol Hill's aisles is afraid the funding scheme for Trump's new 'drug war' will resemble 'his laughable plan for infrastructure.'
'This White House has basically told all the states that it'll get some seed money out there for bridges and tunnels, but they're going to have to raise most of it themselves,' the Senate staffer said.
'If that's the way this opioid program is going to be built, it'll barely make a ripple in a gigantic pond.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59C7DD00000578-5519677-image-a-3_1521489134136

+13

President Donald Trump is applauded prior to delivering remarks on 'combatting the opioid crisis' in a speech at Manchester Community College in Manchester, New Hampshire, U.S., March 19, 2018. Applauding (L-R): U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams, White House Senior Counselor Kellyanne Conway; Kirstjen Nielsen, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security; Alex Azar II, Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services; and U.S. Attorney General Jess Sessions
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59D0F600000578-5519677-image-a-4_1521489152458

+13

KEEP CLAPPING: Attorney General Jeff Sessions(L) applauds as US President Donald Trump speaks about combating the opioid crisis at Manchester Community College in Manchester, New Hampshire on March 19, 2018
The White House says that, like international crises in Iran and North Korea, America's illicit narcotics boom is a deep-seated sickness that Barack Obama left for him to cure.
The senior administration official suggested Sunday that deadly variants of opioid painkillers like Fentanyl have been allowed to proliferate because of Obama's soft-glove approach to criminal justice.
'I think it's a shame that we've seen the prior administration did not prioritize enforcing the law as related to drugs,' the official said.

• Conway said Monday that mandatory minimum sentences should be triggered at a different level for Fentanyl than for other drugs because just a 'trace' amount of it can kill.

Fentanyl is 100 times as powerful as morphine and 50 times the strength of heroin.
Accoding to current sentencing guidelines, mandatory minimums in place don't kick in unless a trafficker is caught with 20,000 doses.
Some states have decriminalized marijuana in recent years, sensing a willingness of the Justice Department to leave the overriding federal laws against the drug unenforced.
But Trump's DOJ has signaled a willingness to crack down, even where less potent 'gateway drugs' are concerned.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59864800000578-5519677-image-a-20_1521486251624

+13

Before his speech, President Trump (right) and first lady Melania Trump (left) visited the Manchester Central Fire Station, where he held onto a fireman's hat 
'For states that are choosing to follow that path, it is a terrible mistake to not vigorously enforce the law as it relates to illicit drug use,' the senior admininstration official argued.
Some experts say the same international pathways used by marjuana smugglers provide a conduit for harder drugs, including heroin, Fentanyl and cocaine.
A second administration official told DailyMail.com on Monday that 'sealing the border with Mexico' and 'getting tougher at [sea] ports' would have an impact on every facet of the illicit drug trade.
'Even if you build the president's wall, the problem isn't going to dry up overnight,' the official conceded, noting that some Drug Enforcement Administration figures indicate more narcotics come into the U.S. via ocean routes than by land.
'But the last White House did a lot of nothing,' the official claimed. 'it feels like we're starting from zero.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59A87200000578-5519677-image-a-21_1521486301213

+13

President Trump and first lady Melania Trump listen as Daniel Goonan, Manchester City Fire Chief, speaks during a visit the Manchester Central Fire Station on Monday 
One direction out of the starting blocks is cutting back on the drug channels that don't break any laws, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Monday morning.
Appearing on 'Fox & Friends,' he said his agency wants to slash legal prescriptions of opiates like OxyContin and Percocet by one-third in the next three years.
Azar compared the 'over-prescription' of those painkillers to a similar overuse of antibiotics, which has made some infectious diseases resistant to the medicines.
And he said the president's openness to seeing major drug traffickers put to death shows his 'seriousness.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A592C1A00000578-5519677-image-m-2_1521484739812

+13

President Trump (left) and first lady Melania Trump (right) seen leaving the White House Monday en route to Manchester, New Hampshire
'If you are involved in the distribution of illicit drugs – or if you are improperly using, selling, distributing even legal opioids – there should be serious penalties attached and serious enforcement,' he said.
A different official said Sunday that the U.S. opioid addiction epidemic 'is a very tricky thing. It starts often in the family medicine cabinet, the little bottle there has a label with the local pharmacy and the family doctor.'
Many people find themselves addicted to painkillers that were covered under Medicare or Medicaid, only to learn that the same programs won't fund treatment programs.
The White House denies that choosing New Hampshire for Monday's speech has a political component, even though longtime Ohio Republican Gov. John Kasich has already visited the state and a parade of other water-testers is sure to follow.
'It doesn't carry any political weight tomorrow,' a senior administration official insisted on Sunday, noting that the White House invited New Hampshire's entire Senate and House delegations – all Democrats – to appear with the president in Manchester.

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5959A200000578-5519677-image-a-9_1521489667548

+13

President Donald Trump holds first lady Melania Trump, who lost her footing while walking across the South Lawn of the White in Washington, Monday, March 19, 2018, before boarding Marine One helicopter for the short trip to Andrews Air Force Base, Md. They traveled to New Hampshire for Trump's event on the opioid crisis
'We would like them to attend,' the official said. 'I don't think they are.' 
Attorney General Jeff Session, who has been upbraided by Trump for his handling of the Russia probe, accompanied the president to New Hampshire but did not speak at the event.
He issued a statement praising Trump and promising to prosecute dealers 'aggressively.' 
'Drug dealers show no respect for human dignity and put their own greed ahead of the safety and even the lives of others. Drug trafficking is an inherently violent and deadly business: if you want to collect a drug debt, you collect it with the barrel of a gun. As surely as night follows day, violence and death follow drug trafficking, and murder is often a tool of drug traffickers,' said Sessions.
'At the Department of Justice, we have made ending the drug epidemic a priority. We will continue to aggressively prosecute drug traffickers and we will use federal law to seek the death penalty wherever appropriate,' Session added.
'I want to thank the President for his strong leadership on this issue and I join him in sending the message that business as usual has ended,' Sessions concluded.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 20 Mar 2018, 09:36

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5521343/Trump-blasted-staying-silent-Austin-bombings.html

[size=34]'If the victims were white, he'd be apoplectic': Trump is blasted for staying silent over Austin bombings targeting people of color, as 500 cops hunt 'sophisticated serial bomber' behind four explosions[/size]

• Most recent explosion was reported in residential area of southwest Austin on Sunday night

• Two white men were transported with serious but non-life threatening injuries 

• It follows a string of package bombs that killed two in Austin in the past month

• Police said latest attack showed 'different level of skill' than the package bombs

• President Trump has been criticized for his silence over the bombings which have targeted victims from Austin's historically black and Latino neighborhoods

• Trump was previously quick to label other bombings, such as the attack on Pulse nightclub by a Muslim shooter, as 'terrorism'

By HANNAH PARRY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 01:07 EDT, 20 March 2018 | UPDATED: 02:08 EDT, 20 March 2018

Donald Trump has come under fire for his silence over the Austin bombings targeting people of color.
Four families have been targeted by the 'serial bomber' in recent weeks which have left two dead and four injured in the Texas city. 
Yet some people have pointed out that unlike other attacks, such as the Pulse nightclub shooting, which Trump was quick to label it an act of terrorism, the president has remained strangely quiet about the recent attacks where most of the victims have come from Austin's historically black and Latino neighborhoods.
The NAACP_Loudoun tweeted: 'Can you imagine bombings occurring in McClean, Georgetown, Loudoun or Tyson's killing and injuring white people and any suspicion of it being a person of color or Muslim. 

Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5CD77100000578-5521343-image-a-5_1521522529589

+17

Donald Trump has come under fire for his silence over the Austin bombings targeting people of color
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A20463200000578-5516859-March_2_explosion_Anthony_Stephan_House_39_was_killed_on_March_2-a-23_1521433091689

+17

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A26499E00000578-5502181-Draylen_Mason_17_was_the_teenager_killed_in_the_first_of_Monday_-a-7_1521068538637

+17

Previous victims: Anthony Stephan House, 39, (left) died on March 2 and Draylen Mason, 17, (right) died on March 12 when package bombs were left at their respective homes

'The National Media, namely Fox News, and the Tweeter in Chief would be apoplectic.'
Film producer Adam Best demanded to know whether the attacks were being ignored 'because the victims have been people of color so far?'
'Why hasn't Donald Trump tweeted or made a statement? This is the 4th bombing in Austin, a metro area of 2M people. 
'Because it's a progressive city? Because he's too busy covering his own ass? Austin needs national support!'

Jamil Smith added: 'Terrorism is what is happening in Austin, Texas right now. Given the race of the victims thus far and his own willful ignorance of extremist violence, I don't really care if @POTUS says anything. I just hope he doesn't impede matters, as he is wont to do.'
The latest blast occurred at around 8.30pm on Sunday in a southwestern Austin residential neighborhood known as Travis Country.  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5CF48900000578-5521343-image-a-10_1521523366190

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5CF48D00000578-5521343-image-a-11_1521523368710

+17

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5CF48100000578-5521343-image-a-12_1521523370099

+17

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5CF48500000578-5521343-image-a-13_1521523371364

+17

The explosion seriously injured two white men, aged 22 and 23, when they are believed to have triggered a tripwire when they were pushing or riding their bikes down a sidewalk. It forced police to warn nearby residents to remain indoors overnight as investigators looked for links to three other package bombings in the city this month.
Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said in a Monday morning press conference they are dealing with a 'serial bomber' and that the latest attack showed a 'higher level of skill' than the three previous bombings. 
Police also said they have still been unable to determine a motive for the string of bombings which have killed two people in Austin and put the city of nearly one million on edge. 
'We're clearly dealing with what we expect to be a serial bomber at this point based on the similarities between now what is the fourth device,' the police chief said.
'(But) what we have seen now is a significant change from what appeared to be three very targeted attacks to what was last night an attack that would have hit a random victim that happened to walk by.'
'So we've definitely seen a change in the method that this suspect or suspects are using.'
In the earlier bombings, two African-American men were killed by packages left on their doorsteps, raising the possibility of a hate crime. A 75-year-old Hispanic woman was also injured in a blast. 
In the past, Trump has been quick to label certain incidents as 'terror attacks' while others have remained tragedies.
In October last year, when someone ran down people with a van in New York, leaving eight dead and 11 injured, Trump sent his 'thoughts, condolences and prayers to the victims and families of the New York City terrorist attack' after the Uzbekistan immigrant suspect was found with an ISIS letter in his vehicle.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A587D0F00000578-5516859-image-a-1_1521477856818

+17

FBI investigators inspect the site of the fourth bombing in Austin on Monday morning. Police had warned residents to remain indoors overnight as they looked for possible links to other package bombings elsewhere in the city this month
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A55388600000578-5516859-image-a-24_1521435120704

+17

ATF agents deploy at the scene in Austin with bomb sniffing dogs. Police have established a wide cordon and urged residents to remain indoors until receiving an all-clear from cops

[size=18]Austin police gives update on 'serial bomber' using trip wire

[/size]

Manley said the latest attack, which injured the two white males, appeared 'random' and was triggered by a tripwire.
He added that it was an escalation from the package bombs that had targeted the previous victims. 
'A trip wire doesn't necessarily suggest a military background,' Manley said. 
'But it suggests that the suspect or suspects we are dealing with have a higher level of sophistication than we believed, as they're changing their methods to a more difficult device.'

Timeline of Austin package bomb attacks

Friday, March 2: Anthony Stephan House, 39, is killed when a package blows up at 6.55am at his home on the 1100 block of Haverford Drive.
6.44am on March 12: Draylen Mason, 17, is killed and a woman is seriously injured in a package explosion in the kitchen of a home on the 4800 block of Oldfort Hill Drive. 
11.50am on March 12: Esperanza Herrera, 75, is severely injured in a package explosion while visiting her mother's home on the 6700 block of Galindo Street.
March 18: Two men in their 20s are seriously injured by an explosion at a home on the 4800 block of Dawn Song Drive. Police haven't said whether a package bomb was involved.

Residents in the Travis Country area were ordered to stay in their homes until Monday morning and no school buses were going to drive through the area to pick up children.
Manley said authorities would keep the surrounding area blocked off until further notice because of overnight darkness and the 'size of the area that we want to go in and check.'
Police kept residential streets on lockdown, gradually expanding their barricades and closing off all roads into the neighborhood.
Before daybreak on Monday, Austin police pushed another alert to cellphones advising residents to continue staying indoors and to call 911 if they needed to leave their homes in the morning.
Manley also said authorities had worked to 'clear' a suspicious backpack found in the area that was part of a separate report.
'We want to put out the message that we've been putting out and that is, not only do not touch any packages or anything that looks like a package, do not even go near it at this time,' Manley said.
He urged any residents with surveillance cameras to contact police.  

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A58829500000578-5516859-image-a-9_1521478002605

+17

Sniffer dogs and authorities canvased the area on Monday morning after a bomb exploded in the Travis Country neighborhood on Sunday night
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A58E8F600000578-5516859-image-a-10_1521478007779

+17

Austin Police Chief Brian Manley (above) said they are dealing with a 'serial bomber' and that the latest attack showed a 'higher level of skill' than the three previous bombings
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A55407B00000578-5516859-image-a-25_1521435242070

+17

An FBI agent and Austin cops work together at the scene of an explosion on Sunday night
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A551A5300000578-5516859-image-a-15_1521430904257

+17

A large task force of FBI evidence team members responds to the scene of the explosion
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5536F200000578-5516859-image-a-20_1521432053132

+17

This map shows the latest explosion along with the three prior package bombings in March

[size=34]HOW TO SPOT A SERIAL BOMBER [/size]

Forensic psychiatrist Dr. Mark Welner, who has studied some of the worst serial killers in history, has broken down some of the key characteristics that are common in serial bombers:

• Male
  • Detail orientated and takes pride in planning and abilities
  • 'Motivated by spectacle through destruction as opposed to merely destructiveness'
  • Poor at intimacy
  • Socially isolated and quiet
  • Obsession with the media and how it reports
  •  They want to draw attention to themselves, and enjoys creating fear in a community
  •  He may justify the crime by attaching it to a cause he believes in

Welner, chairman of The Forensic Panel - a forensic science practice which works on complex homicides across the country - told WSOCTV that the sudden change in method of bombing could indicate an experienced bomber who can change methods, or a copycat.
He said that the bomber could be targeting certain ehnicities 'to instigate violent race conflict' or to try and manipulate the media 'by staging violence that inflames racial divisions, or what some call a 'false flag.' 

The two men hurt in the latest blast were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries. The street is a quiet tree-lined cul-de-sac surrounded by single-family homes, some with backyard pools.
A large police response was seen in the area, including FBI and AFT agents wearing raid jackets as well as bomb-sniffing K9 units.
The explosion was loud enough for neighbors to hear inside their homes.
'It sounded like when the transformers go out, but it was five times magnified that,' said neighbor Eliza May, who was watching TV at the time, in a phone interview with the New York Times.
It was the fourth explosion to rock Austin in less than three weeks. The latest blast was far from the first three, which occurred on the eastern and northern sides of the city.
The two men injured in the latest blast where white men, while the two men killed were black.  
The first was a package bomb that exploded at a northeast Austin home on March 2, killing a 39-year-old Anthony Stephan House.
Two more package bombs then exploded farther south on March 12. Draylen Mason, 17, was killed and his mother was wounded after they opened a package in their kitchen.
A 75-year-old Hispanic woman named by family as Esperanza Herrera was severely injured when a package bomb exploded at her home a few hours later.
The families of the two men who died knew each other and both men were involved in activism in the black community. It led to speculation of a racial motive in the attacks but that has not been confirmed by investigators.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A55065800000578-5516859-image-a-12_1521427852303

+17

All of the bombs have been distant from the famed SXSW Festival, which ran from March 9 until ending on Sunday, and are not thought to be related.
The festival did receive an emailed bomb threat, causing a concert by The Roots to be canceled. A suspect in that threat, 26-year-old Trevor Weldom Ingram, was arrested on Saturday.
The latest explosion came just hours after police made an unusual direct appeal to whomever was responsible for three package bombs that killed two in the past month.
Speaking at a press conference on Sunday afternoon, Chief Manley called on whoever is responsible for the bombs to come forward and share their 'message.'
'These events in Austin have garnered worldwide attention, and we assure you that we are listening,' said Manley.
'We want to understand what brought you to this point, and we want to listen to you.'
Manley appealed to the bomber to communicate with authorities by calling 911 and said that as yet the motive for the attacks has baffled investigators.
'There's the message behind what's happening in our community, and we're not going to understand that until the suspect or suspects reaches out to us to talk to us about what that message was,' Manley said.
'We still do not know what ideology may be behind this and what the motive was behind this.'
Manley announced that the reward for information leading to the arrest of the bomber had been raised to $115,000.
Fred Burton, a chief security officer with Stratfor, told KVUE that it was 'fascinating' the fourth bombing occurred after the reward was raised to $115,000.
'We have a very crafty bomber here,' he said.
'So clearly the bomber watches the news and I think the timing is very curious in light of that.' 
Anyone with information about the bombs in Austin is urged to contact investigators anonymously by calling 512-472-8477.
An online fundraising page set up for the 17-year-old victim killed in the second bombing has raised more than $94,000 in less than a week.  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5560CD00000578-5516859-image-a-17_1521439173274

+17

Bomb site: A package bomb exploded at this home in northeast Austin, killing Anthony House
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5560D100000578-5516859-image-a-18_1521439249495

+17

Another bombing: A package explosion in the kitchen of this home on March 12, ten days later, killed Draylen Mason, 17
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5560D500000578-5516859-image-a-19_1521439321547

+17

Same day explosion: A package bomb, also on March 12, seriously wounded Esperanza Herrera, 75

[size=18]Reward raised to $100k for info that leads to Austin bomber

[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 20 Mar 2018, 15:19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5522875/Three-teens-punished-paddling-participating-walkout.html

[size=34]Three Arkansas high school students are swatted with PADDLES by staff after they participated in walkout protesting gun violence[/size]

• Punishment came after students took part in a walkout to protest gun violence

• Mother of one of the students Wylie Greer took to Twitter to tell what happened

• Her post went viral and her son spoke out about the incident last week 

• Superintendent said they violated school policy by participating in the protest

• He said the three received the punishment after their parents gave permission 

By JESSA SCHROEDER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 09:31 EDT, 20 March 2018 | UPDATED: 10:04 EDT, 20 March 2018

At least three students at an Arkansas high school say they were swatted with a paddle for participating in the nationwide walkout protests to promote stricter gun laws.
The incident happened last Wednesday at Greenbrier Public Schools after the teens returned back to classes.
Jerusalem Greer, the mother of one of the students, Wylie Greer, posted what happened on her Twitter page.
'My kid and two other students walked out of their rural, very conservative, public school for 17 minutes today,' she wrote. 'They were given two punishment options. They chose corporal punishment. This generation is not playing around. #walkout' 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EB24600000578-0-image-m-9_1521552053202

+5

Jerusalem Greer, the mother to one of the students, Wylie Greer, took to her Twitter to tell what happened to her son last week after he participated in the school protest
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EB22B00000578-0-image-m-17_1521552172135

+5

Jerusalem Greer is pictured in a selfie from her Facebook page. Her tweet went viral
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EB88000000578-0-image-m-16_1521552159620

+5

Wylie also spoke out about the incident last week. The teen described the punishment as 'not painful or injuring' and 'a temporary sting on my thighs'
The tweet immediately went viral - with over 22,600 retweets and 89,200 likes as of early March 20.

The woman's son, Wylie, explained the incident in greater detail last Thursday to the Daily Beast.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EB23800000578-5522875-Greenbrier_Public_Schools_Superintendent_Scott_Spainhour_said_th-a-4_1521554060611

+5

Greenbrier Public Schools Superintendent Scott Spainhour said the students violated school policy by participating in the protest
He said around 10am that day, he and the two other students walked out of the school, but were mocked by others for doing so before leaving and after they returned back inside.
'We sat outside the front of the building and were approached first by the principal, who asked us "if he could help us" and "if we understood that there would be consequences",' Wylie said.
'After we answered affirmatively, he went back inside. A few minutes passed and the dean-of-students approached us. He asked "what we were doing," we told him that we were protesting gun violence. He told us to go inside. We refused.' 
When the three teens went back to classes less than 20 minutes later, they were told by staff they would be punished by 'swatting' with a paddle. Otherwise, they had the choice to get a two-day in-school suspension.
Wylie told the Daily Beast all three of them chose to be paddled. He described the punishment as 'not painful or injuring' and 'a temporary sting on my thighs.'
School Superintendent Scott Spainhour told KARK-TV Little Rock, the students violated school policy by participating in the protest.  

• The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EB23D00000578-0-image-a-19_1521552211979

+5

Greenbrier Public Schools in Arkansas is pictured above, where the incident happened last Wednesday
He said the three received the punishment only after their parents provided permission.
Wylie concluded in his statement to the Daily Beast: 'I believe that corporal punishment has no place in schools, even if it wasn’t painful to me,' he said.
'The idea that violence should be used against someone who was protesting violence as a means to discipline them is appalling. I hope that this is changed, in Greenbrier, and across the country.' 
Corporal punishment is currently banned in 31 states across the country. It is currently legal in Arkansas, the state's FindLaw.com School Discipline section says.
Greenbrier Public Schools is a rural school located at 4 School Drive in the city of Greenbrier.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 20 Mar 2018, 16:19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5522647/Multiple-injuries-shooting-Maryland-high-school.html

[size=34]Student shooter dies 'during exchange of fire' with armed resource officer after walking into his Maryland high school and gunning down a 14-year-old boy and 16-year-old girl - leaving them both fighting for life[/size]

• The gunman in a shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland has died

• At an 11:30am press conference, the St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron said that the gunman opened fire just before classes started Tuesday morning

• He says the gunman shot a female and male student, who are in critical and stable conditions respectively

• The school's resource officer then intervened, firing a shot at the gunman 

• The sheriff says the gunman fired a shot simultaneously and it's unclear which shot killed the gunman 

• The gunman was at first taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 10:41am  

• Last month, concerned parents reached out to TheBayNet.com after their children told them about shooting threats at the school 

• At the time, the school's principal said the threats had been investigated and found unsubstantiated 

• Tuesday's shooting comes four days before the March for Our Lives gun control demonstration in Washington, DC 

By ASHLEY COLLMAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 08:44 EDT, 20 March 2018 | UPDATED: 12:12 EDT, 20 March 2018

The gunman who left two classmates critically injured after a shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland on Tuesday has died. 
Sheriff Tim Cameron briefed the press about the shooting at an 11:30am press conference. 
He said the shooter, a male student, opened fire around 7:45am, shortly before classes started.  
A 16-year-old female and 14-year-old male student were both shot and are were taken to the hospital in critical condition. The female is still critically injured, but the male's condition has been upgraded to stable. 

After the first shots, the school resource officer was alerted and ran to the scene. 
'He pursued the shooter, engaged the shooter, during which that engagement he fired a round at the shooter. Simultaneously, the shooter fired a round as well' and the shooter was injured, Cameron said.
The shooter was rushed to Charles Regional Medical Center in critical condition, but was pronounced dead at 10:41am. 
It's still unclear which shot killed the gunman, but Cameron's vague statement indicates that he may have tried to commit suicide. 
Sheriff Cameron would not release the identities of the shooter, the victims or the school resource officer, but said he may at his next press conference, scheduled for 1pm. 
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A608FF500000578-5522647-image-a-82_1521561672348

+18

The gunman behind a shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland on Tuesday has died. Students are pictured above being escorted by officers to a safe location after the attack
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A608BD400000578-5522647-image-a-83_1521561675101

+18

Officials say the gunman opened fire around 7:45am, shortly before classes began for the day
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A608FED00000578-5522647-image-a-86_1521561692836

+18

The shooter shot a 16-year-old female student and a 14-year-old mal student, both of whom were rushed from the scene in critical condition 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60869700000578-5522647-image-a-84_1521561679793

+18

Sheriff Tim Cameron, center, said the shooter was injured after the school resource officer intervened 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60888D00000578-5522647-image-a-85_1521561682572

+18

Cameron said it was unclear whether the shooter was killed by the resource officer's gunshot, or his own
[size=28]Video playing bottom right...

[size=3]Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:16

Pause
Unmute

[/size][/size]
Current Time0:16
/
Duration Time1:42

Fullscreen

ExpandClose

In a previous interview with NBC Washington, Cameron said it was unclear if there was any relationship between the shooter and his two victims. 
Cameron was clearly shaken by the events of the day.  
'You train to respond to this and you hope that you never ever have to,' Cameron said. 'This is the realization of your worst nightmare — that, in a school, that our children could be attacked. And so as quickly … as that SRO responded and engaged, there’s grievous injuries to two students.'
He added: 'Now begins the second phase of this operation and that’s the background and the investigation and the attempt for the school to return to normal, so to speak.'  
Shortly after 8:30am, the St Mary's County Sheriff confirmed there had been a shooting at the school, but said the situation was 'contained'. 
Parents were told to stay away from the school, and to instead go to nearby Leonardtown High School to be reunited with their children.
Great Mill students were then bused to that school to be picked up by their parents. 
Several of the students going home with their parents told reporters that they were afraid to go back to school after what happened. 
At least one woman, who picked up two kids, said she wouldn't force them.   
'Home school, the internet, they're not going back!' she said. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60258E00000578-5522647-image-a-60_1521557409029

+18

The female student is still in critical condition. The male student is in stable condition  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A603AFD00000578-5522647-image-a-61_1521557450134

+18

Parents were told to stay away from the school, and to instead meet at another nearby school to be reunited with their kids 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60510200000578-5522647-image-a-68_1521558557163

+18

FBI and ATF are on the scene investigating the shooting with local law enforcemen
A student named Jonathan Freese called into CNN while he was in lockdown in his math class and said that he was told the shooting happened in the art hallway.
'I'm still a little shaken up. I didn't think it would happen,' Freese told CNN.  
Senior Terrence Rhames told the Baltimore Sun that he knew exactly what was happening when he heard the a loud crack while standing outside his first period class.
He said he started running towards a nearby bathroom but realized it was a 'dead end'. Instead he turned around and headed for the nearest exit where he saw a girl fall to the ground out of the corner of his eye.
'I just thank god I’m safe,' the 18-year-old said. 'I just want to know who did it and who got injured.'
Another student, Mollie Davis, tweeted that she heard a 'loud sound and everyone started screaming and running'.
'You never think it'll be your school and then it is. Great Mills is a wonderful school and somewhere I am proud to go. Why us?' Davis added. 
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said he is 'closely monitoring the situation'.
'Our prayers are with students, school personnel, and first responders,' Hogan tweeted. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6030C200000578-5522647-image-a-64_1521557461534

+18

Students at the school took part in a national walkout to protest the nation's lax gun laws just last week 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6030CD00000578-5522647-image-a-62_1521557454624

+18

School buses were seen lined up outside the school to take students to another school to be reunited with their parents 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6050F700000578-5522647-image-a-66_1521558527436

+18

Most of those school buses have since left the school bound for Leonardtown High School 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A602CE300000578-5522647-image-a-63_1521557457508

+18

Above, another view of school buses being lined up outside the school during the lockdown

Maryland Congressman Steny Hoyer, the Democratic Whip, cancelled his usually weekly meeting on Capitol Hill to go to the school, which is located in the county where he lives. 
He told NBC Washington that he 'sickened' that shootings continued to happen in schools, which should be 'free of threat'.
He said that the amount of mass shootings that have happened this year comes out to about one a week and is 'just unacceptable'.
The FBI and ATF are on the scene and helping local law enforcement teams investigate.  
The shooting comes just four days before the March for Our Lives, a demonstration in Washington, DC and in other cities across the country, calling for increased gun control. The march was organized by survivors of the February 14 school shooting in Parkland, Florida that left 17 dead.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EC30800000578-5522647-image-a-39_1521551014103

Students at Great Mills High School wrote about the incident on Twitter as the school was in lockdown
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EBD3200000578-5522647-image-a-37_1521551010391

+18

The St Mary's County Sheriff asked parents NOT to show up to the school to be reunited with their kids
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5FBB6C00000578-5522647-image-a-55_1521552534424

+18

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5FD25600000578-5522647-image-a-58_1521553540427

+18

Emma Gonzalez (left), a survivor of the February 14 shooting in Parkland, Florida, tweeted words of support to the students at Great Mills Tuesday morning (below)
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5FD24A00000578-5522647-image-a-57_1521553532331

+18

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5FCB5C00000578-5522647-image-a-59_1521553590836

+18

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan says he is 'closely monitoring the situation' at the school 
That shooting has led to a renewed debate about the country's gun control laws. 
'We are Here for you, students of Great Mills, together we can stop this from every happening again,' Parkland student activist Emma Gonzalez tweeted Tuesday morning. 
Less than a week after the Parkland shooting last month, Great Mills High parents reached out to local outlet TheBayNet.com, saying their kids had heard of similar threats against the school on Snapchat. 
Dr Jake Heibel, the school's principal, issued a statement after the report, saying that the concerns stemmed from videos showing two student in the hallways during the changing of classes mentioning a 'shooting' and 'school'. 
'We interviewed the student with our SRO, viewed video, interviewed other students, and contacted central office. The threat was not substantiated,' Heibel said. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EB39400000578-5522647-image-a-23_1521549828660

+18

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 20 Mar 2018, 17:46

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5523475/Feminist-Germaine-Greer-suggests-victims-career-rapees.html

[size=34]Outrage as feminist Germaine Greer suggests #MeToo victims are 'career rapees' for taking six-figure non-disclosure deals from Harvey Weinstein[/size]

• Germaine Greer discussed the #MeToo campaign on Radio 4's Today programme

• The feminist, 79, branded alleged victims of Harvey Weinstein 'career rapees'

• She said they had 'extraordinary exposure' and #MeToo has 'not got anywhere'

By ABE HAWKEN FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 12:08 EDT, 20 March 2018 UPDATED: 12:57 EDT, 20 March 2018

• [email=?subject=Read%20this:%20Outrage%20as%20feminist%20Germaine%20Greer%20suggests%20%23MeToo%20victims%20are%20%27career%20rapees%27%20for%20taking%20six-figure%20non-disclosure%20deals%20from%20Harvey%20Weinstein%C2%A0&body=Outrage%20as%20feminist%20Germaine%20Greer%20suggests%20%23MeToo%20victims%20are%20%27career%20rapees%27%20for%20taking%20six-figure%20non-disclosure%20deals%20from%20Harvey%20Weinstein%C2%A0%0A%0AThe%2079-year-old%20was%20speaking%20on%20BBC%20Radio%204%27s%20Today%20programme%20this%20morning%20to%20discuss%20the%20%23MeToo%20movement%20and%20called%20alleged%20sexual%20assault%20victims%20of%20Harvey%20Weinstein%20%27career%20rapees%27.%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-5523475%2FFeminist-Germaine-Greer-suggests-victims-career-rapees.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top%0A%0A%0AMost%20Read%20Articles%3A%0A%0A%27He%20told%20me%20he%20loved%20me%27%3A%20Don%20Trump%20Jr%20%27had%20an%20affair%20with%20Aubrey%20O%27Day%20when%20she%20appeared%20on%20Celebrity%20Apprentice%20and%20told%20his%20pregnant%20wife%20Vanessa%20he%20planned%20to%20leave%20her%20for%20the%20singer%27%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-5520193%2FDonald-Trump-Jr-affair-Aubrey-ODay.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AParcel%20filled%20with%20%27nails%20and%20shrapnel%27%20en%20route%20to%20Austin%20explodes%20at%20a%20FedEx%20site%20in%20San%20Antonio%20as%20FBI%20probe%20link%20to%20serial%20bomber%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-5521343%2FTrump-blasted-staying-silent-Austin-bombings.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AEXCLUSIVE%3A%20A%20field%20hospital%20for%20drunk%20Spring%20Breakers%2C%20a%20wet%20t-shirt%20contest%20with%20men%20braying%20%27we%20want%20to%20see%20her%20p***y%27%20and%20a%20SWAT%20team%20on%20standby%20-%20but%20South%20Padre%20couldn%27t%20be%20happier%20as%20100%2C000%20college%20kids%20descend%20on%20its%20beaches%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-5510589%2FSpring-Breakers-South-Padre-Island-Texas.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A]e-mail[/email]

[size=32]7
shares

[/size]
[size=32]86[/size]
[size]

[/size]
View comments
[size]
[/size]

Feminist Germaine Greer was today slammed after she called the alleged sexual assault victims of Harvey Weinstein 'career rapees'.
The 79-year-old was speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme this morning and was discussing the #MeToo movement.
The campaign was launched when a host of A-list celebrities accused the Hollywood executive of rape, sexual assault and harassment.
But she said that the movement has 'not got anywhere at all' and added that we need to urgently 'sort out our concept of what rape is' and amend the law.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60C1A300000578-5523475-image-a-4_1521565050202

+2

Germaine Greer (pictured) today said that some alleged sexual assault victims are 'career rapees' 
The outspoken feminist author, from Melbourne, Australia, went on to call alleged victims of Weinstein 'career rapees' who have had 'extraordinary exposure'.

She said: 'Some of whom have been paid six figure sums in the form of non-disclosure agreements.  
'That's a dishonorable thing to accept and it's not something you should boast about.' 

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A55CAEE00000578-0-image-a-50_1521565040508French couple accused of killing their nanny 'burned her...The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5E121100000578-0-image-m-50_1521546114077Police bodycam catches moment killer, 26, is arrested in his...

[size]

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

During the interview, she added: 'The amount of legal muscle that will be used to defend these people is massive.
'I'm concerned for damage limitation rather than maximisation. Rather than wrecking people's lives, so they become career rapees, as it were. 
But her comments were slammed by people who took to Twitter to question what she had said.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60BEFF00000578-5523475-image-m-5_1521565052283

+2

The movement started when a host of A-list celebrities accused Hollywood executive Harvey Weinstein (pictured) of rape, sexual assault and harassment
One Twitter user, known as Keith, wrote: 'Did I really just hear Germaine Greer say some women have become career rapees! #R4today.'  
Another added: 'Germaine Greer: I'm concerned about wrecking people's lives so that they become career rapees'. It's just an outrageous thing to say.'
Ms Greer also said that we need to 'find out what's going on' and get to the root of the issue. 
When asked about the Hollywood scandal, she added: 'They've probably been sexualised before they were ever in the casting couch situation.
'Because that's what we merchandise. We use it to sell everything that's sold. 
'A woman selling drinks in a half-lit bar in southern United States would tell me that she wore fish net tights because if she didn't, she wouldn't get any tips.
'This is our culture, our we going to change it?'  
She added: 'We are in such an odd situation at the moment. You cannot call people who have been subjected to sexual abuse victims, you have to call them survivors - as if it was the wreck of the titanic, it's a bit silly.'
[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 00:01

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5524269/Melania-admits-people-skeptical-fighting-cyber-bullies.html

[size=34]Melania Trump admits 'people are skeptical' of her passion for fighting cyber-bullies and insists she'll encourage 'positive behaviors on social media'[/size]

• First lady Melania Trump said she aware of the skepticism she received when she announced that she planned to tackle the issue of cyber-bullying prevention

• She made the candid comment at her first White House event on cyber safety, inviting representatives from the top social media companies to participate 

• The first lady originally announced she had plans to address the issue in a speech she gave in November 2016, just five days before the election 

By NIKKI SCHWAB, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 16:43 EDT, 20 March 2018 | UPDATED: 17:31 EDT, 20 March 2018

First lady Melania Trump said she was aware of the raised-eyebrows she would receive when announcing she would take up the cause of cyber-bullying prevention.
She's married to the nation's most prominent, and often hostile, tweeter, after all. 
'I am aware that people are skeptical of me discussing this topic,' the first lady said during a cyber safety discussion at the White House Tuesday, the first of its kind hosted by FLOTUS.
'I have been criticized for my commitment to tackling this issue, and I know that will continue, but it will not stop me from doing what I know is right,' she added.    

The first lady had invited representatives from the top tech companies to speak to her at the White House, as she aimed to encourage 'positive behaviors on social media.' 
Meanwhile, the president had given the first lady a reprieve for the day, tweeting only about it being National Agriculture Day, after spending the weekend whacking the trio of Special Counsel Robert Mueller, newly-fired former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe and ex-FBI Director James Comey on Twitter.  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A61787B00000578-5524269-image-a-3_1521576558411

+6
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 Fff-hover

First lady Melania Trump hosted representatives from a number of tech companies at the White House Tuesday to hold her first cyber safety discussion 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6173D300000578-5524269-image-a-8_1521576630239

+6

First lady Melania Trump is seen walking into the State Dining Room on Tuesday as she hosts her first cyber safety discussion in her position 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6173CF00000578-5524269-image-a-13_1521576764175

+6

Melania Trump had originally told audiences that she would take up the cause of cyber-bullying prevention several days before her husband won the presidential election 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6173CF00000578-5524269-image-a-13_1521576764175

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 Fff-logo-lowercase
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 Hub_link

Melania Trump looked ready for business when she attended a cyber safety roundtable at the White House.
Clad in a sensible skirt suit with a pink sweater and matching sky high stiletto pumps, the First Lady stuck to that old saying that never fails - dress for success.
Her blazer and coordinating pencil skirt are both by Calvin Klein and hail from the Fall 2017 collection. We adore the peak lapels and one-button silhouette on this tailored number as well as that classic check pattern.
Follow the link at right to Barneys New York to buy the blazer then get a longer version of the skirt in the edit below. At $1695, the jacket is a pretty steep investment, but it will pay off in spades as it can be worn in the boardroom or to an upscale after hours event for years to come.
But if you're working with a smaller budget you can get this look as well. Simply scroll through the carousel for similar styles from Rebecca Minkoff, Mango and Calvin Klein.
* PRICES MAY NOT BE AS ADVERTISED

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6174E700000578-5524269-image-a-4_1521576564447

+6

First lady Melania Trump (left) speaks with Snap Director of Public Policy Jennifer Park Stout (center) and Twitter Director of Public Policy Carlos Monje (right) 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A61896800000578-5524269-image-m-12_1521576730097

+6

FLOTUS said she recognized 'people are skeptical' of her decision to take up cyber bullying-prevention, a comment usually made by people looking to her husband's Twitter account
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A61783B00000578-5524269-image-a-7_1521576580773

+6

First lady Melania Trump held a discussion at the White House Tuesday featuring representatives from the country's top tech companies 
Melania Trump didn't seem to care. 
She affectionately walked to Marine One alongside the president yesterday as the two voyaged to Manchester, New Hampshire, to talk about the opioid crisis, another issue that the first lady has taken up.
And then on Tuesday, she invited representatives from Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Snapchat and the Family Online Safety Institute to discuss how children can use the internet better, along with the effects technology can have on them. 
'I am here with one goal: helping children and our next generation,' the first lady said. 
'In my role as first lady, I receive many letters from children who have been bullied or feel threatened on social media,' she also noted. 
She first floated cyber-bullying prevention would be part of her issue set in the waning days of the 2016 presidential campaign.
With crowds curious about who might become the country's next first lady, Melania Trump delivered a short speech at an athletic center outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a state that President Trump would win five days later. 
'Technology has changed our universe, but like anything that is powerful it can have a bad side,' Melania Trump said at the time. 'As adults, many of us are able to handle mean words, even lies.' 
Kids though, she continued, 'are hurt when they are made fun or feel less in looks or intelligence,' the candidate's wife added.  
Since that speech it has been a waiting game to see if the first lady would actually address the issue of an unsafe internet.   

Melania Trump has devoted much of her time to doing work with children, touring hospitals in both the U.S. and abroad, while specifically expressing interest in how the opioid crisis has affected infants.   
As of late, she's also shown support for the high school students who are protesting for stricter gun laws in the aftermath of the Parkland, Florida school shooting.
'I have been heartened to see children across this country using their voices to speak out and try to create change,' the first lady said at a White House luncheon with governors' spouses last month. 'They're our future and they deserve a voice.' 
On Tuesday, she offered her thoughts and prayers to those affected by the a.m. shooting at a school in Great Mills, Maryland. 
'These events are becoming far too common,' the first lady said.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 21 Mar 2018, 06:40

If she showed support for the students after the Florida shooting, why doesn't she critisize the comments on social medias tackling the students' intention, sexual orientation etc? She could have used these comments as an example of what's not okay. 

And her comment on the Maryland school shooting is just a lame duck IMO.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 09:38

She will not say anything that goes against the idiot, he pays her so she ain't biting the hand that keeps her.

she is a First Lady that is controlled by her husband , everyone has to agree with him and have no opinions of their own and 

that includes his wife.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:13

Just how arrogant and uncaring is this man??!

https://news.sky.com/story/facebook-chief-under-pressure-as-cambridge-analytica-scandal-grows-11298564

They've known about this for two years

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:25

I don't think Melania Trump is at all comfortable with being First Lady. It isn't something she wanted and she's just beginning to find her voice. That said, Annemarie is right. She has to be very careful not to antagonize her husband. She's walking a fine line as it is with her comments at this meeting, knowing how vindictive and petty Trump can be.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another Trump divorce as soon as his term is up - if he isn't in jail by then.

PAN - Zuckerberg is probably hunkered down somewhere trying to figure out how to save his company. It's very likely Facebook is going to be sued into oblivion.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:36

Well we know he's worth 75 billion and has 75% of the shares so that's possibly the least of his worries. And apparently he's managed to spare the time to 'like' some folks pix.

And I'm not sure why he needs more time given he's known about it all along. Sending your lawyers to powerful government committees may not work any more, and we all know he's not great with people.....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 13:08

I don't think there will be a divorce, I think she would  much. Marla didn't get much I think five million and he didn't pay child support for Tiffany. Ivana  got the most of his ex's.

I think they will simply go back to leading separate lives. They weren't seen out much together before he ran for President.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 21 Mar 2018, 13:21

By the way:
I just read that Trump didn't congratulate Angela Merkel on her reelection a week ago but phoned Putin immediately after his reelection, something very unusual as diplomats said. But the US ambassador in Germany can't comment on that since there's none for more than one year...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 13:45

Trump was told not too congratulate Putin but of course did it any way.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 14:13

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5524841/Fox-military-analyst-says-network-makes-ashamed.html

[size=34]Fox News military analyst quits after a decade saying he is 'ashamed' of the network while calling it a 'propaganda machine for President Trump'[/size]

• Ralph Peters sent a letter informing colleagues of his decision  to quit Fox News

• 'Over my decade at Fox, I was long proud of the association. Now I am ashamed,' wrote Peters

• He also claimed the network had 'degenerated' into a 'propaganda machine'

By CHRIS SPARGO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 18:25 EDT, 20 March 2018 | UPDATED: 09:40 EDT, 21 March 2018

A military analyst for Fox News has quit the network because he believed it had turned into a propaganda machine for President Donald Trump's administration.
Ralph Peters, a retired U.S. Army officer, said on Tuesday he told Fox at the beginning of the month that he did not want his contributor contract renewed.
'Over my decade at Fox, I was long proud of the association,' Peters wrote in an email that was distributed to colleagues at Fox News, and first reported by BuzzFeed. 
'Now I am ashamed.'

He closed out the letter by writing: 'Thanks, and, as our president's favorite world leader would say, "Das vidanya."'
Fox News said in a statement that the network did not want attributed to a specific spokesperson that Peters was entitled to his opinion, 'despite the fact that he's choosing to use it as a weapon in order to get attention.' 
Fox News added that it was proud of its opinion programming and prime-time hosts.
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A66691600000578-5524841-Over_and_out_Ralph_Peters_above_sent_a_letter_to_his_colleagues_-m-16_1521635601487

+3

Over and out: Ralph Peters )(above) sent a letter to his colleagues informing them of his decision to quit Fox News after over a decade at the network
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6660CD00000578-5524841-image-a-15_1521635588276

+3

Buds: 'Over my decade at Fox, I was long proud of the association. Now I am ashamed,' wrote Peters (President Trump and Hannity above)
Peters said he believed Fox News had 'degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration.'
He criticized prime-time hosts for 'profoundly dishonest assaults' on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community and special counsel Robert Mueller, who is conducting an investigation into the Trump administration's dealings with Russia. 
He accused the network of 'scaremongering' with lurid warnings of deep-state machinations.

Peters did not mention any names, but Fox's leading prime-time host, Sean Hannity, has been the most vocal defender of the president while talking of a 'deep state' and casting doubt on justice officials. 
Trump has been an avid watcher of Fox News, most notably its morning Fox & Friends program. 
The network has long been the top-rated on cable for years.
Fox News had an intramural debate of its own last week when news anchor Shepard Smith, who just renewed his contract, said in an interview with Time magazine that Fox's opinion hosts 'don't really have rules' and can say whatever they want.
 He said the opinion lineup is there primarily as entertainment. 
That led Hannity and Ingraham to fire back, saying their shows have made news.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6660D100000578-5524841-image-a-14_1521635582041

+3

Don and Friends: He also claimed the network had 'degenerated' into a 'propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration' (Don Jr with the hosts of Fox & Friends) 

Peters said it appalled him that 'hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots' now advance the agenda of Russian President Vladimir Putin by making light of Russian involvement in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Peters was suspended by Fox News for two weeks in 2015 for using a crude word to describe then-President Barack Obama during an appearance on the Fox Business Network.
The retired Army colonel said he did not apply his criticisms to Fox Business Network, who he called 'he grown-ups,' and Fox News' reporters.
Peters also made headlines recently when he called for a ban on all assault weapons. 

[size=34]RALPH PETERS QUITS FOX NEWS AND SAYS HE IS ASHAMED  [/size]

On March 1st, I informed Fox that I would not renew my contract. The purpose of this message to all of you is twofold: First, I must thank each of you for the cooperation and support you've shown me over the years. Those working off-camera, the bookers and producers, don't often get the recognition you deserve, but I want you to know that I have always appreciated the challenges you face and the skill with which you master them.
Second, I feel compelled to explain why I have to leave. Four decades ago, I took an oath as a newly commissioned officer. I swore to "support and defend the Constitution," and that oath did not expire when I took off my uniform. Today, I feel that Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers. Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association. Now I am ashamed.
In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration. When prime-time hosts--who have never served our country in any capacity--dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war hero such as Robert Mueller--all the while scaremongering with lurid warnings of "deep-state" machinations-- I cannot be part of the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now wittingly harming our system of government for profit.
As a Russia analyst for many years, it also has appalled me that hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots and who, justifiably, savaged President Obama for his duplicitous folly with Putin, now advance Putin's agenda by making light of Russian penetration of our elections and the Trump campaign. Despite increasingly pathetic denials, it turns out that the "nothing-burger" has been covered with Russian dressing all along. And by the way: As an intelligence professional, I can tell you that the Steele dossier rings true--that's how the Russians do things.. The result is that we have an American president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.
I do not apply the above criticisms in full to Fox Business, where numerous hosts retain a respect for facts and maintain a measure of integrity (nor is every host at Fox News a propaganda mouthpiece--some have shown courage). I have enjoyed and valued my relationship with Fox Business, and I will miss a number of hosts and staff members. You're the grown-ups.
Also, I deeply respect the hard-news reporters at Fox, who continue to do their best as talented professionals in a poisoned environment. These are some of the best men and women in the business..
So, to all of you: Thanks, and, as our president's favorite world leader would say, 'Das vidanya.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 14:25

The Putin ‘congratulations’ phone call was a big story this morning.  Trump deliberately went against his national security advisors who told him not to congratulate Putin on the election.  Yesterday Lying Press Secretary Sanders told the press (in response to their question about the call) that it’s not the U.S.’s job to criticize how other countries conduct their elections. Shocked     Hmmmm.  They criticized the Venezuelan elections last year..... 

Zuckerberg is pretty arrogant .  He’s not doing himself any favors by hiding from this latest disaster.  I don’t think Congress wants to hear from his lawyers any longer.  They want a face to face with Zuckerberg.  I think (at least hope) Congress is finally going to call for some serious regulations on social media.  

Melania’s efforts to curb bullying so far have been so lame that she would be better dropping it completely.  She has no credibility on this issue and its embarrassing for her and does a disservice to a real problem that needs to be addressed.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 21 Mar 2018, 15:04

Donnamarie -IMO the best way to regulate Facebook is not to use it in the first place. If you want to let people know or see something there are other ways to do it: email, snail mail, phone call, text. I have no sympathy for anyone who relies on Facebook to stay in contact with friends and family. IMO it's lazy and disrespectful. I have better things to do than check a bunch of Facebook pages every day.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 15:50

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5526385/Bannon-oversaw-Cambridge-Analyticas-plans-collect-Facebook-data.html

[size=34]Stephen Bannon oversaw Cambridge Analytica's plans to collect data on millions of American voters from Facebook, whistleblower claims[/size]

• Chris Wylie claims the firm used data to build psychological profiles on voters 

• Bannon approved spending almost $1million to acquire the data, Wylie said 

• Trump's ex-chief strategist was the firm's VP from June 2014 until August 2016

• He identified anti-establishment messages that later became core part of Trump's campaign speeches  

By KHALEDA RAHMAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 06:13 EDT, 21 March 2018 | UPDATED: 11:15 EDT, 21 March 2018

Stephen Bannon oversaw Cambridge Analytica's early efforts to collect data from Facebook to build a detailed profile of millions of American voters, an ex-employee of the firm has claimed.
Chris Wylie, who was once Cambridge Analytica's research director, said the company used the data to build psychological profiles so voters could be targeted with ads and stories.
Government authorities are bearing down on both the firm and Facebook over Wylie's allegations the firm stole data from 50 million Facebook users to manipulate elections.
Cambridge Analytica's board of directors suspended CEO Alexander Nix pending an investigation after Nix boasted of various unsavory services and claimed to have won the presidential election for Donald Trump to an undercover reporter for Channel 4 News.

In an interview with the Washington Post, Wylie said Bannon – who helped launch Cambridge Analytica with funding from the wealthy Mercer family years before he became Trump's chief strategist - was very involved with the company's strategy.
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A623D2800000578-5526385-image-a-20_1521625887524

+7

Chris Wylie (pictured), who was once Cambridge Analytica's research director, said Stephen Bannon oversaw Cambridge Analytica's early efforts to collect data from Facebook
It was Bannon who approved spending almost $1million to acquire data – including from Facebook – in 2014, Wylie said.
'We had to get Bannon to approve everything at this point,' Wylie told the Post.
'Bannon was Alexander Nix's boss. Alexander Nix didn't have the authority to spend that much money without approval.'

Wylie said in 2014, Bannon identified and tested the power of anti-establishment messages that later became a huge part of Trump's campaign speeches – among them 'drain the swamp' and 'deep state.'
They discovered a lot of alienation among young, white voters – and in focus groups, these voters engaged with ideas such as building a wall to shut out illegal immigrants and thinly-veiled forms of racism, Wylie recalled.
When they tested perceptions of Vladimir Putin, Wylie said 'it turns out there's a lot of Americans who like this idea of a really strong authoritarian leader.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A508BC700000578-5526385-image-a-22_1521626025496

+7

It was Stephen Bannon (pictured) who approved spending almost $1million to acquire data – including from Facebook – in 2014, Wylie said
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A633D7F00000578-5526385-image-a-23_1521626039870

+7

Bannon was Cambridge Analytica's vice president from June 2014 until August 2016 – when he became the Trump campaign's chief executive and then joined Trump (pictured) in the White House
Wylie said Bannon and Rebekah Mercer took part in conference calls that year in which plans to collect data from Facebook were discussed.
He 'approved the data-collection scheme we were proposing,' Wylie said, adding this was 'well before [Trump] became a thing.'
But it's not clear if Bannon was aware of how Cambridge Analytica was harvesting the data – which Wylie said was through a personality test that collected users' personal information as well as that of their friends without permission.
He was Cambridge Analytica's vice president from June 2014 until August 2016 – when he became the Trump campaign's chief executive.
According to the Post, he received more than $125,000 in consulting fees from the company in 2016 and owned 'membership units' worth up to $5million.
On Tuesday night, Channel 4 News broadcast clips that show Nix saying his data-mining firm played a major role in securing Trump's victory in the 2016 presidential election.
Nix said the firm handled 'all the data, all the analytics, all the targeting' and said Cambridge used emails with a 'self-destruct timer' to make its role more difficult to trace.
'There's no evidence, there's no paper trail, there's nothing,' he said.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A61B75E00000578-5526385-image-a-21_1521626021497

+7

Wylie, who was once Cambridge Analytica's research director, said the company used the data to build psychological profiles so voters could be targeted with ads and stories
In a statement, Cambridge's board said Nix's comments 'do not represent the values or operations of the firm and his suspension reflects the seriousness with which we view this violation.'
Cambridge has denied wrongdoing, and Trump's campaign has said it didn't use Cambridge's data.
Facebook also drew continued criticism for its alleged inaction to protect users' privacy.
Earlier Tuesday, the chairman of the UK parliamentary media committee, Damian Collins, said his group has repeatedly asked Facebook how it uses data. He said Facebook officials 'have been misleading to the committee.'
The committee summoned Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to testify.
'It is now time to hear from a senior Facebook executive with the sufficient authority to give an accurate account of this catastrophic failure of process,' Collins wrote to Zuckerberg.
'Given your commitment at the start of the New Year to `fixing' Facebook, I hope that this representative will be you.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5E12A000000578-5526385-image-a-25_1521626182717

+7

Cambridge Analytica's board of directors suspended CEO Alexander Nix (pictured) pending an investigation after Nix boasted of various unsavory services
Leading Democrats in the US Senate also called on Zuckerberg to testify. Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, called Facebook's latest privacy scandal a 'danger signal.'
She wants Zuckerberg's assurances that Facebook is prepared to take the lead on security measures that protect people's privacy - or Congress may step in.
Facebook sidestepped questions on whether Zuckerberg would appear, saying instead that it's currently focused on conducting its own reviews.
The request to appear comes as Britain's information commissioner said she was using all her legal powers to investigate the social-media giant and Cambridge Analytica.
Commissioner Elizabeth Denham is pursuing a warrant to search Cambridge Analytica's servers. She has also asked Facebook to cease its own audit of Cambridge Analytica's data use.
'Our advice to Facebook is to back away and let us go in and do our work,' she said.
Facebook has weathered many such blow-ups before and is used to apologizing and moving on - but the stakes are bigger this time.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6582F100000578-5526385-In_footage_released_on_Monday_Nix_said_the_company_could_send_so-a-2_1521628244633

+7

In footage released on Monday, Nix said the company could 'send some girls' around to a rival candidate's house, suggesting that girls from Ukraine are beautiful and effective in this role
The latest scandal has some people reconsidering their relationship status with the social network, though there isn't much of anywhere else to go.
Cambridge Analytica said it is committed to helping the UK investigation.
However, Denham's office said the firm failed to meet a deadline to produce the information requested.
Denham said the prime allegation against Cambridge Analytica is that it acquired personal data in an unauthorized way, adding that the data provisions act requires services like Facebook to have strong safeguards against misuse of data.
Meanwhile, Wylie has agreed to be interviewed by Democrats on the US House Intelligence Committee. A date has not been set, and it's unclear if Republicans on the panel will attend.
On Tuesday, Wylie said he found Facebook's reaction to the revelations bizarre.
He told an audience at the Frontline Club in London that before the story broke, Facebook had agreed to work with him to improve its platform.
But he said he was blindsided on Friday with a news release that identified him as a suspect in the case.
Cambridge Analytica found itself in further allegations of wrongdoing after Channel 4 used an undercover investigation to record Nix saying that the company could use unorthodox methods to wage successful political campaigns for clients.
In footage released on Monday, Nix said the company could 'send some girls' around to a rival candidate's house, suggesting that girls from Ukraine are beautiful and effective in this role.
He also said the company could 'offer a large amount of money' to a rival candidate and have the whole exchange recorded so it could be posted on the internet to show that the candidate was corrupt.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A4E51AB00000578-5526385-Leading_Democrats_in_the_US_Senate_also_called_on_Mark_Zuckerber-a-1_1521628244479

+7

Leading Democrats in the US Senate also called on Mark Zuckerberg to testify about the case
In a statement, Nix said he deeply regrets his role in the meeting and has apologized to staff.
'I am aware how this looks, but it is simply not the case,' he said.
'I must emphatically state that Cambridge Analytica does not condone or engage in entrapment, bribes or so-called `honeytraps', and nor does it use untrue material for any purposes.'
Nix told the BBC that the Channel 4 sting was 'intended to embarrass us'.
'We see this as a coordinated attack by the media that's been going on for very, very many months in order to damage the company that had some involvement with the election of Donald Trump,' he said.
The data harvesting used by Cambridge Analytica has also triggered calls for further investigation from the European Union, as well as federal and state officials in the United States.
On Tuesday, a dozen consumer-advocacy organizations pressed the Federal Trade Commission in the US to investigate whether the release of data violated an agreement Facebook signed with the FTC in 2011 offering privacy assurances.
The move comes after Bloomberg News first reported the FTC could already be investigating.
The FTC hasn't confirmed the investigation but said it takes 'any allegations of violations of our consent decrees very seriously.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 20:23

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5528791/Trump-defends-decision-congratulate-Putin-attacks-crazed-media.html

[size=34]Trump defends decision to congratulate Putin despite explicit warning from national security team as he attacks Clinton, Obama AND Bush for lacking 'chemistry' and 'smarts' for Russia[/size]

• President Donald Trump phoned to congratulate Vladimir Putin on Tuesday

•  He got blowback after it was revealed briefing materials included the words 'DO NOT CONGRATULATE'

• Trump said Wednesday getting along with Russia was a 'good thing' 

• 'The Fake News Media is crazed because they wanted me to excoriate him,' Trump vented

• Says George W. Bush didn't have the 'Smarts,' and Clinton and Obama lacked the 'energy' and 'chemistry' to deal with Russia 

• Putin declared victory in presidential elections on Sunday in Russia after winning 77 per cent of the vote for a fourth term

• Trump's aides instructed him to avoid congratulating Putin on Tuesday

• Aides also urged him to condemn poisoning of a Russian spy in Britain 

• Trump ignored his aides and praised Putin in comments to reporters on Tuesday

• Russia is being blamed for poisoning an ex-spy on British soil earlier this month 

• Report led to finger-pointing about who was responsible for the leak  

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 15:32 EDT, 21 March 2018 | UPDATED: 15:39 EDT, 21 March 2018

President Donald Trump defended his decision to ignore the advice of his security advisors and congratulate Russia's Vladimir Putin on his election, saying getting along was a 'good thing.'
Trump blasted the 'Fake News' media while going after three of his predecessors, and described six areas where Russia can help 'solve problems.'
His pair of tweets, like his congratulatory call to Putin, did not mention Russian election meddling in the U.S. or any role it had in the murder of a Russian spy in Britain. 
'I called President Putin of Russia to congratulate him on his election victory (in past, Obama called him also),' Trump wrote Wednesday, amid internal recriminations about who leaked information about advice Trump got before the call.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A633DD700000578-0-image-m-11_1521604681946

+11

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A633D7100000578-0-image-a-12_1521604689760

+11

President Donald Trump congratulated Russian President Vladimir Putin on his re-election even though his top aides wrote 'DO NOT CONGRATULATE' in his briefing materials, it was reported on Tuesday. Putin is seen left and Trump is seen right
'The Fake News Media is crazed because they wanted me to excoriate him. They are wrong!'

Getting along with Russia (and others) is a good thing, not a bad thing,' Trump wrote, ending his initial tweet.
Then Trump laid out where Russia could help the U.S. It is frequently seen as one of the chief forces undermining U.S. influence and stability, through its invasion of Crimea, support for Bashar al-Assad in Syria, and support for Pyongyang. 
'They can help solve problems with North Korea, Syria, Ukraine, ISIS, Iran and even the coming Arms Race,' Trump wrote. 
'Bush tried to get along, but didn’t have the “smarts.” Obama and Clinton tried, but didn’t have the energy or chemistry (remember RESET). PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH!' he concluded.  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A64E59700000578-0-image-a-1_1521660480917

+11

Putin declared victory in presidential elections on Sunday in Russia after winning 77 per cent of the vote
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A69844C00000578-0-image-a-2_1521660536885

+11

LONG DISTANCE INFORMATION: Trump said he called Putin because getting along with Russia is a 'good thing'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A69844800000578-0-image-a-3_1521660543027

+11

PROBLEM SOLVER: Trump rattled off areas where Russia could help the U.S., including Ukraine, where it invaded Crimea. Then he rapped predecessors for lacking the needed qualities
The leak of information that President Trump ignored an explicit warning from his national security staff not to congratulate Vladimir Putin on his suspicious reelection has brought immediate finger-pointing and fury inside the White House.
Trump on Wednesday told reporters at the White House had 'congratulated Putin on his victory,' as his White House declined to say the election, where Putin won a fourth term with 77 per cent of the vote, was not free and fair. 
Such a leak could only have come from one of a relatively small group of people with access to high-level security information.
Its disclosure prompted immediate finger-pointing, Axios reported.
As one furious aide put it: 'This is the way Trump is. If he's doing business with you or working with you in some way, he's going to congratulate you.' 

The aide aide called the idea that Trump is soft on Russia 'crap,' adding that Trump didn't want his relationship with Putin to be 'acrimonious.'
CNN reported that Trump fumed about the disclosure after it happened Tuesday night, peppering outside advisors with questions about who they thought was responsible. He also noted that it only could have come from within a small group of staff aides, according to a source.
White House chief of staff is also furious about it, according to the report, and plans to address the matter as he tries to get to the bottom of who disclosed it.  
The Washington Post reported on the security instruction cards Trump got for the call just hours after the president told Reporters what he had said. 
Trump also didn't take the advice to condemn the poisoning of a Russian spy in Britain, according to the leak – something the British government has said almost certainly was directed by Russia. 
 The report lays out possible motives for the leak. One is 'concern about how Trump is handling Putin – an indication that national security officials view Putin as a threat and may even share the view of external critics who fear there is some reason Trump is unable to voice condemnation of him.
It also cites 'frustration' by the officials being ignore, or 'internal power games.'
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60C80000000578-5523219-image-a-1_1521565909748

+11

GOOD CALL? It took Trump two days to phone Putin after the Russian president's not-so-shocking landslide in his latest re-election

[size=18]Vladimir Putin wins six more years as Russian president

[/size]

The spat comes as, more than a year into his tenure, Trump is still facing harsh criticism for his failure to publicly confront Putin.
Former CIA Director John Brennan blasted the decision in an appearance on MSNBC.
 'To congratulate him and to treat him so nicely while he treats Americans with such disdain, I think it demonstrates that he looks at the world through a prism of what is going to help and protect Donald Trump. That is not what presidents are supposed to do,' said Brennan, who noted Putin is the person who 'authorized interference in our election' and 'almost certainly' directed the poisoning of a spy in Britain.
'He is self absorbed and he is trying to just protect his own interests.' Brennan said Trump was 'afraid of the president of Russia,' and called out what he called a 'fawning attitude.'
'The Russians may have something on him personally that they could always roll out and make his life more difficult,' said Brennan, without laying out any evidence.   
Trump phoned to congratulate Putin on his re-election even though his top aides wrote 'DO NOT CONGRATULATE' in his briefing materials, according to the Post report that appeared on Tuesday.
Trump ignored his advisers and praised the Russian leader in what he described as a 'very good call' despite the Kremlin's alleged role in the poisoning of a former Russian spy and his daughter on British soil earlier this month.
The governments of both the United States and the United Kingdom believe Russia is responsible. The Kremlin has denied the allegation.
Before the phone call with Putin, Trump was given briefing materials which contained cards with talking points, according toThe Washington Post.
White House officials told the Post that the cards did have instructions for Trump to refrain from congratulating Putin, who declared victory on Sunday in an election that most observers believe was a sham. 
It took two days for Trump to dial up Putin on Tuesday to offer congratulations on his suspicious but official landslide victory in a re-election bid for a fourth term.
'I had a call with President Putin and congratulated him on the victory, his electoral victory,' Trump told reporters at the White House, referring to a race that the Russian strongman won with 77 per cent of the vote.
'We will probably get together in the not too distant future,' Trump said in the Oval Office during a meeting with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters a few hours later that 'there are no specific plans made at this time' for a meeting.
Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain released a biting statement accusing Trump of 'congratulating dictators on winning sham elections.'
'By doing so with Vladimir Putin,' McCain continued, 'President Trump insulted every Russian citizen who was denied the right to vote in a free and fair election to determine their country's future, including the countless Russian patriots who have risked so much to protest and resist Putin's regime.'  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A3CE83200000578-5523219-image-a-3_1521567210725

+11

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain released a biting statement accusing Trump of 'congratulating dictators on winning sham elections'
Sanders pushed back but wouldn't say whether Trump agrees Putin was re-elected in a 'sham.'  
'We disagree with the fact that we shouldn't have conversations with Russia. There are important topics that we should be able to discuss,' she said.
The president and the White House Press office both provided official confirmation that the call took place, a day after the White House declined to describe the election as 'free and fair.' 
Sanders went further on Tuesday, saying the U.S. shouldn't pressure any other nation to choose its leaders in a more democratic fashion.
'We don't get to dictate how other countries operate,' she said. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60AE0F00000578-5523219-image-a-2_1521565948797

+11

I HEAR CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER: Trump spoke about his call with Putin when reporters peppered him questions as he spoke to Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the Oval Office
'What we do know is that Putin has been elected in their country, and that's not something that we can dictate to them, how they operate. We can only focus on the freeness and fairness of our elections.'
'President Trump congratulated President Putin on his March 18 re-election,' the press office said. 
Trump described the conversation as 'a very good call.' He said the two leaders would most likely discuss the 'arms race' which he described as 'out of control.' 

[size=18]PM reaffirms stance that Russia is responsible for spy poisoning

[/size]

'We will never allow anybody to have anything close to what we have,' Trump said. Earlier this month, Putin revealed Russia has a new missile that 'can reach any point in the world.'
Putin boasted about the missile during his State of the Union address.
'It can attack any target, through the North or South Pole, it is a powerful weapon and no missile defense system will be able to withstand,' Putin said, CNBC reported March 1.
He said the missile 'can reach any point in the world.'
Trump said he and Putin would also 'discuss Ukraine, Syria and North Korea.'
Putin won the contest with about 77 per cent of the vote, drawing eye-rolls – and few immediate congratulation calls – from the West.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Hogan Gidley told reporters aboard Air Force One on Monday that there was 'no scheduled phone call' between the two leaders.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A633DF100000578-0-image-a-14_1521604969891

+11

Trump ignored his advisers and praised the Russian leader despite the Kremlin's alleged role in the poisoning of a former Russian spy, Sergei Skripal (right) and his daughter, Yulia (left), on British soil earlier this month
Dictatorships and other authoritarian governments lined up to boost Putin's ego following his win, including the leaders of China, Venezuela, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Iran – all Russian allies.
The silence from the rest of the civilized world is partly because of tensions related to the poisoning of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Sailsbury, England. 
The United Kingdom has blamed the assassination attempt on Russia, and the Trump administration has said it shares that assessment. 
Sergei and Yulia Skripal remain in critical condition. 
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that the lack of a call from Trump was not seen as 'an unfriendly step.'
'Some cannot call him due to their schedule. There is no need to dramatize,' he said. 
Asked Monday whether Trump believes the Russian election was 'free and fair,' Gidley shot back that 'we're not surprised by the outcome.'

Pressed on what that means, he repeated the same words a second time.
Gidley also took pains to insist that the administration would 'work to cultivate the relationship we have with Russia, and obviously we will impose costs when Russia threatens our interests.' 
Russia's election was marred by what some international monitors saw as rampant fraud.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 20EC37BA00000578-5523219-Iran_s_President_Hassan_Rouhani-m-34_1521558718215

+11

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A55621600000578-5523219-China_s_Xi_Jinping-m-36_1521558731766

+11

China's Xi Jinping (right) and Iran's President Hassan Rouhani (left) led strongman governments from around the world in paying tribute to Putin while the West sat on its hands

Many observers were reportedly kept out of polling places, and there were reports of tempering with ballots that had already been cast. 
Alexei Navalny, a leading opposition leader, was not permitted to run because of a past criminal conviction – something his supporters believe was politically motivated.
It has been customary for U.S. presidents to call Putin after each of his election victories, but Trump may have approached the errand with caution.
He is under investigation by a special counsel and a Senate committee over unproven allegations that his presidential campaign colluded with Russians to meddle with the outcome of the 2016 U.S. election.
Trump and his spokespersons have dismissed the probe's mission over and over, and the president has sent signals that a closer relationship with Moscow would be in America's interest generally.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 21 Mar 2018, 23:27

http://people.com/politics/melania-trump-hates-lifestyle-husband-president/

[size=40]Melania Trump 'Hates This 24/7 Tornado' of Life in Her Husband’s White House, Source Says[/size]
[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Fmelania-trump-hates-lifestyle-husband-president%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F01%2Fdonald-melania-3.jpg&description=Melania Trump %27Hates This 24%2F7 Tornado%27 of Life in Her Husband%E2%80%99s White House%2C Source Says][/url][url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Melania Trump %27Hates This 24%2F7 Tornado%27 of Life in Her Husband%E2%80%99s White House%2C Source Says http://people.com/politics/melania-trump-hates-lifestyle-husband-president/ via @people][/url]

TIFFANY TRUMP SPLIT FROM LONGTIME BOYFRIEND WHILE SHE WAS 'STRESSED OUT' ABOUT LAW SCHOOL MOVE
TIERNEY MCAFEE 
March 21, 2018 06:07 PM

Melania Trump is “furious” over the “24/7 tornado” her life has become in the 14 months since husband Donald Trump‘s inauguration, a source close to the first lady tells PEOPLE.
“What’s happening is exactly what she didn’t want to happen,” the source says. “They’ve literally become like the Kardashians: scandals, divorces, headlines.”
A never-ending string of controversies have trailed Trump throughout his campaign and presidency — from his “grab ’em by the p—y” comments, to the special counsel investigation into Russia’s election meddling, to the Karen McDougal and Stormy Daniels affair allegations. Most recently, the president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., has been in the headlines after wife Vanessa filed for divorce and allegations surfaced that he had an affair with former Celebrity Apprentice contestant Aubrey O’Day.
Amid all the chaos, Melania is yearning for the peace and simplicity of her pre-White House life.

[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Fmelania-trump-hates-lifestyle-husband-president%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F01%2Fdonald-melania-3.jpg&description=Melania Trump %27Hates This 24%2F7 Tornado%27 of Life in Her Husband%E2%80%99s White House%2C Source Says][/url]
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F01%2Fdonald-melania-3
Melania and Donald Trump
MOLLY RILEY/AFP/Getty
In September 2015, in her first major interview since her husband launched his bid for the presidency, Melania told PEOPLE that she filled her free time by playing tennis, doing Pilates and reading magazines, in addition to caring for her son Barron, now 11. A hands-on mother, Melania said she enjoyed helping her son with his homework and taking him to after-school activities.
Another source confirms that Melania loved her life before her husband ran for president. “She was able to do whatever she wanted and have her family with her much of the time,” the source says. In those days, she enjoyed spending time at her husband’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, during the week, while Trump remained in New York City. She would “shop, use the spa and have her family dine outside with her.”
“No one was paying attention to her two years ago,” the first source says. “They went about their day. Now it’s a 24/7 tornado. She hates it.”
The source notes that the first lady is intensely introverted and a creature of habit who “just wants to do her own thing.” As PEOPLE previously reported, the couple keeps separate bedrooms at their Bedminster, New Jersey, home because Melania “wants her own privacy,” according to a source close to the Trump family. Author Michael Wolff of the bestselling Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House also said the Trumps have separate bedrooms at the White House.
“She’s someone that likes routine. Early to bed, early to rise, take care of herself, etc. And he’s 24/7 on TV and electronics and thinking and scheming,” the first source says. “There’s not a lot of peaceful downtime. They are as a couple exactly how you think they would be: complete opposites. So this lifestyle doesn’t work for her.”
RELATED VIDEO: PEOPLE Writer Natasha Stoynoff Breaks Silence, Accuses Donald Trump of Sexual Attack

Melania has notably kept a low profile as first lady, although she has attended some prominent public events with her husband — like the July G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany, where she made small talk with Russian President Vladimir Putin at dinner. This week, she hosted tech executives at the White House for a roundtable discussion on her principal cause of cyberbullying.

But the source says Melania feels out of her element in moments like these.
“She doesn’t have a lot to say. She’s not a conversationalist overall. With her friends, yes … But at a state dinner or with other leaders, she’s not one to step up and lead conversation,” the source says. “She’s so soft-spoken. And so she’s just looking around at everything that’s going on and throwing her hands up.”
“She has the same opinion about everything that the public does,” the source adds, “What is going on! Why is this happening!”

• With reporting by DAN WAKEFORD and LINDA MARX 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 21 Mar 2018, 23:41

I can't imagine anyone would enjoy the kind of publicity she's been exposed to this past year. This probably wasn't in the "trophy wife" job description she signed up for.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 22 Mar 2018, 00:27

Why would be because your husband is an idiot.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 22 Mar 2018, 09:52

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5529015/WRAPUP-1-Facebooks-Zuckerberg-acknowledges-mistakes-user-data-vows-tougher-curbs.html

[size=34]Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg finally says 'I'm really sorry this happened' over mistakes that led to massive user data breach as advertisers threaten to boycott the site[/size]

• Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg gave interviews to numerous media outlets

• Zuckerberg apologized for data breach affecting 50 million Facebook users

• He said he'd be 'happy' to testify before the United States Congress

• Company is reeling over revelations a UK-based company accessed user data

• Cambridge Analytica built profiles on US voters which were used to help Trump 

By MARTIN ROBINSON, UK CHIEF REPORTER FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 16:42 EDT, 21 March 2018 | UPDATED: 05:42 EDT, 22 March 2018

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg was humbled on US TV last night as he said sorry for the 'major breach of trust' after 50million members had their personal data harvested without their knowledge.
The billionaire, 33, also announced a crackdown on apps used to hijack details from users after the Cambridge Analytica scandal slashed the social network's value by $50billion (£35m) and his own fortune by $5billion (£3.5m).  
Speaking for the first time last night, five days after the data breach emerged, he said: 'This was a major breach of trust and I'm really sorry that this happened. Our responsibility now is to make sure this doesn't happen again'.
And in a contrite message to victims and those planning to delete their profiles he said: 'We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can't then we don't deserve to serve you'.

He added: 'We need to make sure there are no other Cambridge Analyticas out there'.
Mr Zuckerberg also admitted he had failed to get to grips with Russian meddling in the 2016 US presidential race using Facebook and said he is 'sure someone's trying' to meddle with the upcoming US midterm elections. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6AF55A00000578-5529015-image-m-45_1521685135187

+10

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg has apologized for the massive data breach that compromised information of tens of millions of users

• s

He said: 'What's clear is that in 2016, we were not as on top of a number of issues as we should have, whether it was Russian interference or fake news'.

WHAT IS FACEBOOK DOING TO FIX ITS DATA MINING PROBLEM?

Mark Zuckerberg finally broke his silence on the misuse of 51 million users’ data Wednesday evening, outlining three steps the firm plans to take to prevent something like this from happening again. This includes:
1. Investigate apps which used old system to get user information 
Apps can no longer access the same amount of information that Kogan did through quizzes thanks to a 2014 change in Facebook policy however it remains unclear how many took advantage of the old rules before they changed. 
On Wednesday, Zuckerberg said Facebook's first step was to go back and look at what they still know. 
2.  Make the rules even tighter for app developers 
If a person has not engaged with an app for three months, Facebook will remove their access to you. 
They will also restrict what information they do get in the first place to only your name, profile photo, and email address. If they want more, they will have to sign a contract and get approval. 
3. Introduce tool to show what companies already know about you 
The tool will appear in the next month or so on users' news feeds. 

Zuckerberg said on Wednesday that his company made mistakes in how it handled data belonging to 50 million of its users and promised tougher steps to restrict developers' access to such information. 
He said: 'I wish we'd taken those steps earlier. That is probably the biggest mistake that we made here'.
He also admitted it was 'clearly a mistake' to trust Cambridge Analytica (CA) when Facebook asked the British data firm to delete tens of millions of users' data.
He also said they would now notify 'anyone whose data might have been affected'. 
Zuckerberg said measures had been in place since 2014 to prevent the sort of abuse revealed over the weekend but the social network needed to 'step up' to do more. 
The Facebook founder said CA had provided formal assurances that data harvested from 50 million profiles had been destroyed after the breach was revealed in 2015.
'I don't know about you, but I'm used to when people legally certify that they are going to do something, that they do it. But I think this was clearly a mistake in retrospect,' Mr Zuckerberg told CNN.
The billionaire, who has been called on to give evidence to MPs in person over the scandal, said he would be happy to appear before US Congress 'if it's the right thing to do'. But he did not say he was willing to face the British parliament to answer questions.
Facebook's revenues soared to billions of pounds after it started giving away users' details, it emerged today.
The social media giant practically doubled its takings every year after opening up profiles to 'tens of thousands' of app developers.
Facebook users were yesterday waking up to how much private information has been handed out. During the data gold-rush – which lasted from 2009 to 2015 – it appears almost anyone who described themselves as a 'developer' could freely mine Facebook's database.
In this period, the technology firm's revenues rose sharply, from £500million in 2009 to nearly £13billion by 2015.
Today advertisers threatened to abandon the social media giant.
The ISBA, a group of leading British consumer goods companies, has demanded answers from the social media giant, according to the Times. It was claimed that around 3,000 firms including Unilever and Procter & Gamble did not want to associate with Facebook if it was shown that users' data had been acquired without permission.
M&C Saatchi boss David Kershaw said 'Some advertisers will say enough is enough to Facebook, but the truth is that advertising is an oligopoly, with 60 per cent of all spending going to Facebook and Google'. 
Banking giant Nordea said it had put some Facebook investments in 'quarantine' as it monitored the scandal.  
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A6AF54800000578-5529015-Mr_Zuckerberg_also_admitted_he_had_failed_to_get_to_grips_with_R-a-2_1521705796979

+10

Mr Zuckerberg also admitted he had failed to get to grips with Russian meddling
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A69B02F00000578-5529015-Mark_Zuckerberg_broke_his_silence_over_the_Cambridge_Analytica_s-a-46_1521685204578

Earlier on Wednesday, Zuckerberg broke his silence over the Cambridge Analytica scandal on Wednesday in a lengthy Facebook post shared at 3.50pm

Timeline: How the Facebook data crisis has unfolded

March 18 - Facebook suspends Donald Trump’s data operations team for misusing people’s personal information as Cambridge Analytica story breaks.  
CA's use of Facebook data branded a ‘grossly unethical experiment’ by social media giant who said their policies had been breached;
March 19 - US markets open and Facebook shares plunge over its handling of personal data.
Facebook also hires its own forensics team to investigate Cambridge Analytica and they start searching CA's offices in London.
But CA refuse to allow Britain's Information Commissioner's team in and force her to go to court for a warrant.  
March 20 - Facebook l hold an emergency meeting to let employees ask questions about Cambridge Analytica as their share prices plunges.
But Mark Zuckerberg fails to show up and is yet to speak about the crisis that has seen billions wiped off the value of his company.
The billionaire is also asked to appear before Parliament to answer allegations his company has lied about how it handles data. 
March 21 - Architect of app that helped harvest data for Cambridge Analytica says tens of thousands of other apps might be doing the same job.

The scale of the breach has grown dramatically since it emerged at the weekend that 50million Facebook profiles were harvested by Aleksandr Kogan, a psychology researcher at Cambridge University, who designed a 'personality quiz' app as a research project.
He passed the data to Cambridge Analytica, whose boss Alexander Nix was suspended on Tuesday after Channel 4 broadcast footage of him bragging about the firm's role in Donald Trump's presidential campaign. 
The company says Mr Nix's comments 'do not represent the values or operations of the firm'.
Dr Kogan claimed 'tens of thousands' of other apps may be mining social media for personal data to be sold on in the same way. Other experts said it was possible virtually the entire Facebook database from 2015 could be in unknown hands.
Until it tightened privacy settings in April that year, Facebook was effectively giving away masses of personal data to third-party developers for free, to encourage them to create more apps and grow the platform, say experts.
In 2012, there were some nine million Facebook apps – all of whose developers were apparently able to access users' personal details. It is unclear what checks were made on someone applying to Facebook to become a 'developer' – for example whether they might be a company, a spy agency or even a mafia gang – before personal details were made available.
Dutch academic Bernhard Rieder, who created a similar Facebook app in 2009 before deleting it, said: 'Before 2015, you could get troves of data. I should have stored all the data [and then sold it to] get that Lamborghini.'
Social media users have also raised fears about how others – including Amazon, music service Spotify and dating app Tinder – could be using their data. UK Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham said she was examining whether Facebook could have broken laws under the Data Protection Act.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5E12A000000578-5529015-Cambridge_Analytica_CEO_Alexander_Nix_arrived_at_the_firm_s_Lond-m-6_1521709582396

+10

The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A60C03B00000578-5529015-Dr_Aleksandr_Kogan_claims_he_had_no_idea_his_work_in_2014_would_-a-7_1521709589027

+10

Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix has been suspended in the wake of the scandal. Facebook has pointed the finger at them and academic Dr Aleksandr Kogan, who designed the app used to harvest data
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A59CDF500000578-5521893-image-a-21_1521539323246

+10

Footage emerged of a meeting in which Mr Nix appears to suggest that CA could compromise politicians by sending 'beautiful' Ukrainian women to candidates' house
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A5EB13700000578-5521893-image-m-16_1521558243588

+10

Storage crates have been removed from Cambridge Analytica's London headquarters (pictured) before Britain's data watchdog was allowed access
On Wednesday, the generally reclusive Zuckerberg sat for an interview on CNN and gave another to the publication Wired, addressing reports that Cambridge Analytica purloined the data of more than 50 million Facebook users in order to sway elections. 

Internet inventor urges Zuckerberg to 'fix' damaging data harvesting  

World Wide Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee has described the Cambridge Analytica (CA) scandal as a 'serious moment' for the web, but reassured Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg he can 'fix it'.
The British computer scientist said it was time for all internet users to 'build a web that reflects our hopes & fulfils our dreams more than it magnifies our fears & deepens our divisions'.
Sir Tim posted on Twitter after Mr Zuckerberg apologised for a 2015 breach that led to 50 million users' data being obtained by CA.
'This is a serious moment for the web's future. But I want us to remain hopeful. The problems we see today are bugs in the system. Bugs can cause damage, but bugs are created by people, and can be fixed by people,' Sir Tim said.
'I can imagine Mark Zuckerberg is devastated that his creation has been abused and misused. (Some days I have the same feeling £justsaying)
'I would say to him: You can fix it. It won't be easy but if companies work with governments, activists, academics and web users we can make sure platforms serve humanity.'
The inventor proposed a set of 'general rules' for web users to adhere to:
- Any data belonging to a person is theirs alone to control. If anyone is given the right to use the data for a purpose then they should use it for that purpose alone.
- If researchers have access to data they must only use it for research purposes. Sir Tim said this is 'REALLY IMPORTANT' as 'so much important science and medicine depends on that data'.
In a plea to all web users, he said:'My message to all web users today is this: I may have invented the web, but you make it what it is. And it's up to all of us to build a web that reflects our hopes & fulfils our dreams more than it magnifies our fears & deepens our divisions.'

The Trump campaign paid the firm $6million during the 2016 election, although it has since distanced itself from Cambridge.
Zuckerberg apologized for a 'major breach of trust,' admitted mistakes and outlined steps to protect users following Cambridge's data grab. 
His mea culpa on cable television came a few hours after he acknowledged his company's mistakes in a Facebook post , but without saying he was sorry. 
Zuckerberg and Facebook's No. 2 executive, Sheryl Sandberg, had been quiet since news broke Friday that Cambridge may have used data improperly obtained from roughly 50 million Facebook users to try to sway elections. 
They also failed to show up for a crisis meeting at the company on Tuesday, leading to accusations of weak management. 
CA's clients included Donald Trump's campaign.
Facebook shares have dropped some 8 percent, lopping about $46 billion off the company's market value, since the revelations were first published. 
The world's largest social media network is facing growing government scrutiny in Europe and the United States about a whistleblower's allegations that London-based political consultancy Cambridge Analytica improperly accessed user information to build profiles on American voters which were later used to help elect President Donald Trump in 2016.
Zuckerberg, in his first public comments since the scandal erupted at the weekend, said in a post on Facebook that the company 'made mistakes, there's more to do, and we need to step up and do it.'
He did not elaborate on what the mistakes were, but he said the social network plans to conduct an investigation of apps on its platform, restrict developer access to data, and give members a tool that lets them more easily disable access to their Facebook data.
His plans did not represent a big reduction of advertisers' ability to use Facebook data, which is the company's lifeblood.
Zuckerberg said he was open to additional government regulation and happy to testify before the US Congress if he was the right person.
'I'm not sure we shouldn't be regulated,' he said. 
'I actually think the question is more what is the right regulation rather than yes or no, should it be regulated? ... People should know who is buying the ads that they see on Facebook.'
Facebook shares pared gains on Wednesday after Zuckerberg's post, closing up 0.7 per cent. 
The company has lost more than $45billion of its stock market value over the past three days on investor fears that any failure by big tech firms to protect personal data could deter advertisers and users and invite tougher regulation.
Facebook representatives including Deputy Chief Privacy Officer Rob Sherman met US congressional staff for nearly two hours on Wednesday and planned to continue meetings on Capitol Hill on Thursday. 
Facebook was unable to answer many questions, two aides who attended the briefing said.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A69E8C000000578-5529015-The_announcement_sent_Facebook_s_struggling_stock_back_up_after_-a-3_1521708753099

+10

The announcement sent Facebook's struggling stock back up after a treacherous few days
Zuckerberg told the website Recode that fixes to protect users' data would cost 'many millions of dollars.'
The whistleblower who launched the scandal, Christopher Wylie, formerly of Cambridge Analytica, said in a tweet that he had accepted invitations to testify before US and UK lawmakers.
The German government said Facebook must explain whether the personal data of the country's 30 million users were protected from unlawful use by third parties, according to a report in the Funke group of German regional newspapers.
On Tuesday, the board of Cambridge Analytica suspended its Chief Executive Alexander Nix, who was caught in a secret recording boasting that his company played a decisive role in Trump's victory.

[size=34]MARK ZUCKERBERG'S STATEMENT ON CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA[/size]

I want to share an update on the Cambridge Analytica situation -- including the steps we've already taken and our next steps to address this important issue.
We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can't then we don't deserve to serve you. I've been working to understand exactly what happened and how to make sure this doesn't happen again. The good news is that the most important actions to prevent this from happening again today we have already taken years ago. But we also made mistakes, there's more to do, and we need to step up and do it.
Here's a timeline of the events:
In 2007, we launched the Facebook Platform with the vision that more apps should be social. Your calendar should be able to show your friends' birthdays, your maps should show where your friends live, and your address book should show their pictures. To do this, we enabled people to log into apps and share who their friends were and some information about them.
In 2013, a Cambridge University researcher named Aleksandr Kogan created a personality quiz app. It was installed by around 300,000 people who shared their data as well as some of their friends' data. Given the way our platform worked at the time this meant Kogan was able to access tens of millions of their friends' data.
In 2014, to prevent abusive apps, we announced that we were changing the entire platform to dramatically limit the data apps could access. Most importantly, apps like Kogan's could no longer ask for data about a person's friends unless their friends had also authorized the app. We also required developers to get approval from us before they could request any sensitive data from people. These actions would prevent any app like Kogan's from being able to access so much data today.
In 2015, we learned from journalists at The Guardian that Kogan had shared data from his app with Cambridge Analytica. It is against our policies for developers to share data without people's consent, so we immediately banned Kogan's app from our platform, and demanded that Kogan and Cambridge Analytica formally certify that they had deleted all improperly acquired data. They provided these certifications.
Last week, we learned from The Guardian, The New York Times and Channel 4 that Cambridge Analytica may not have deleted the data as they had certified. We immediately banned them from using any of our services. Cambridge Analytica claims they have already deleted the data and has agreed to a forensic audit by a firm we hired to confirm this. We're also working with regulators as they investigate what happened.
This was a breach of trust between Kogan, Cambridge Analytica and Facebook. But it was also a breach of trust between Facebook and the people who share their data with us and expect us to protect it. We need to fix that.
In this case, we already took the most important steps a few years ago in 2014 to prevent bad actors from accessing people's information in this way. But there's more we need to do and I'll outline those steps here:
First, we will investigate all apps that had access to large amounts of information before we changed our platform to dramatically reduce data access in 2014, and we will conduct a full audit of any app with suspicious activity. We will ban any developer from our platform that does not agree to a thorough audit. And if we find developers that misused personally identifiable information, we will ban them and tell everyone affected by those apps. That includes people whose data Kogan misused here as well.
Second, we will restrict developers' data access even further to prevent other kinds of abuse. For example, we will remove developers' access to your data if you haven't used their app in 3 months. We will reduce the data you give an app when you sign in -- to only your name, profile photo, and email address. We'll require developers to not only get approval but also sign a contract in order to ask anyone for access to their posts or other private data. And we'll have more changes to share in the next few days.
Third, we want to make sure you understand which apps you've allowed to access your data. In the next month, we will show everyone a tool at the top of your News Feed with the apps you've used and an easy way to revoke those apps' permissions to your data. We already have a tool to do this in your privacy settings, and now we will put this tool at the top of your News Feed to make sure everyone sees it.
Beyond the steps we had already taken in 2014, I believe these are the next steps we must take to continue to secure our platform.
I started Facebook, and at the end of the day I'm responsible for what happens on our platform. I'm serious about doing what it takes to protect our community. While this specific issue involving Cambridge Analytica should no longer happen with new apps today, that doesn't change what happened in the past. We will learn from this experience to secure our platform further and make our community safer for everyone going forward.
I want to thank all of you who continue to believe in our mission and work to build this community together. I know it takes longer to fix all these issues than we'd like, but I promise you we'll work through this and build a better service over the long term.

+10

Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook's COO, said she 'deeply regrets' the breach of trust but did not apologize either 
But the academic who provided the data disputed that on Wednesday.
'I think what Cambridge Analytica has tried to sell is magic, and they've made claims that this is incredibly accurate and it tells you everything there is to tell about you. But I think the reality is it's not that,' psychologist Aleksandr Kogan, an academic at Cambridge University, told the BBC in an interview broadcast on Wednesday.
Kogan, who gathered the data by running a survey app on Facebook, also said that he was being made a scapegoat by Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. 
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A61ABB200000578-5529015-Christopher_Wylie_who_describes_himself_as_one_of_the_company_s_-a-8_1521710263740

+10

Christopher Wylie, (pictured) who describes himself as one of the company's co-founders turned whistleblowers, has revealed how Cambridge Analytica paid $1million for the data of 51 million Facebook users
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A508BC700000578-5526385-image-a-22_1521626025496

+10

It was Stephen Bannon (pictured) who approved spending almost $1million to acquire data – including from Facebook – in 2014, Wylie said
Both companies have blamed Kogan for alleged data misuse.
Only 300,000 Facebook users responded to Kogan's quiz, but that gave the researcher access to those people´s Facebook friends as well, who had not agreed to share information, producing details on 50 million users.
Facebook has said it subsequently made changes that prevent people from sharing data about friends, and maintains that no data breach occurred because the original users gave permission. 
Critics say that it essentially was a breach because data of unsuspecting friends was taken.
Facebook banned Cambridge Analytica from using any of Facebook's services on Friday.
Zuckerberg said the company 'will restrict developers' data access even further to prevent other kinds of abuse' and that the company is working with regulators as they investigate what happened.
Many analysts have now raised concerns that the incident will have a negative impact on user engagement with Facebook, potentially reducing its clout with advertisers. 
Three Wall Street brokerages cut their price targets.
'Investors now have to consider whether or not the company will conclude that it has grown in a manner that has proven to be untenable or whether it needs to significantly improve how it is managed,' said Pivotal Research Group analyst Brian Wieser.
Facebook shares are down more than 8 percent since Friday. 
The company has risen more than 550 percent in value in the past five years.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 22 Mar 2018, 13:09

Sorry, but I can't believe anyone is really shocked by this. Putting your life online for everyone to see is, IMO, asking for trouble. Trusting that the system is safe and no one will abuse it is naive. I'd be more surprised if the data wasn't misused.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 22 Mar 2018, 14:18

There is nothing that is 100 percent secure we all should know that. There are those who believe their info is secure and they believed this because it was face book how could it not be secure millions of people use it.

The one's I side eye are the celebs who put naked  or sex acts on their phone and are shocked when their phone is hacked.

Yeah, no you know this happens all the time why would you take the risk that is just dumb.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 22 Mar 2018, 15:01

Totally agree Lizzy and Annemarie - but I rather suspect it is addictive and 'cool' and has had some benefits for bringing people together globally - except we all know that that brings the benefits both good and bad.....

What Zuckerberg did NOT say is that he knew about some of this a long long time ago - and there are many whistleblowers out there - but I think money has been more important than ethics - and everything has to 'fixed' with an app. Employing people to talk to people to fix some is seemingly not what they want to do. Every problem has be to solved via the screen whether it's pornography, paedophilia, violence, ISIS videos.....I could on. Something about taking responsibility seems to be missing on the basis that they are 'just a platform' (which incidentally avoids paying taxes worldwide)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 22 Mar 2018, 16:10

annemarie wrote: it was face book how could it not be secure millions of people use it.
That's exactly why it can't be trusted. Millions of people use it, and unless you are very naive you have to know that not all those people wish you well. There are a lot of bad people in the world. Why wouldn't they take advantage of something like Facebook?

PAN - I think responsibility has to be shared by Zuckerberg and the people who use his product. I don't know if there is a way to make any online site really secure, but users need to be more careful about what they put out there just as he needs to make sure any threat is minimized.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 22 Mar 2018, 16:18

The only real way to prevent these things is to not put your info on line and people simply won't not do it. It makes life so easy. 

The phone isn't used anymore it's only for texting or emailing. People don't talk to each other and some don't even know how to speak properly and hold a conversation.

And as for writing that is even worse .

For every door a company closes someone is working to find a way to get in and they will.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 22 Mar 2018, 16:19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5532483/Trumps-personal-attorney-Russia-probe-QUITS.html

[size=34]Trump's personal attorney in Russia probe QUITS and leaves president in the hands of right-wing lawyers[/size]

• John Dowd was the lead personal attorney for Donald Trump in the special counsel's Russia probe

• Dowd quit on Thursday after longtime frustration with the president's aggressive posture toward Robert Mueller

• Trump has argued in favor of an in-person meeting with Mueller, something Dowd consistently counseled against 

• The two principal lawyers now representing the president's personal interests are Joseph diGenova and Jay Sekulow, both known as conservative partisans 

By DAVID MARTOSKO, US POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 11:57 EDT, 22 March 2018 | UPDATED: 12:06 EDT, 22 March 2018

The lead attorney representing Donald Trump in the Justice Department's sprawling Russia probe resigned on Thursday, leaving the president's interests in the hands of a pair of conservative lawyers known for making political arguments more than legal ones.
John Dowd had become increasingly frustrated with Trump's reliance on other legal minds, and with his baiting Special Counsel Robert Mueller on Twitter.
Dowd has consistently pressed the case in the West Wing that a face-to-face with Mueller would be against the president's interests, even as Trump has confidently argued that he could handle it.
Two White House officials confirmed Dowd's departure, which was first reported by The New York Times.
The Serious Side - part 4 - Page 19 4A71E04C00000578-0-image-a-1_1521733978339

+1

Attorney John Dowd is quitting Donald Trump's legal team, costing the president his lead personal lawyer in the special counsel's Russia probe
'I love the president and wish him well,' he told CNN on Thursday.

In Dowd's place, the president will work principally with Jay Sekulow and Joseph diGenova, both of them right-wing partisans.
DiGenova in particular has raised eyebrows for his claims on the Fox News Channel that the Justice Department and the FBI framed Trump with manufactured evidence in an effort to help Hillary Clinton in 2016.
'There was a brazen plot to illegally exonerate Hillary Clinton and, if she didn't win the election, to then frame Donald Trump with a falsely created crime,' he said in January on the cable channel.
'Make no mistake about it: A group of FBI and DOJ people were trying to frame Donald Trump of a falsely created crime.

Ty Cobb, who represents the White House in the Russia matters, will remain at his post.
Cobb has urged Trump and his top aides to cooperate with Mueller in the hope that it would bring his investigation to a quicker conclusion.
Mueller's probe concerns unproven allegations that Trump's campaign colluded with Russians to impact the outcome of the 2016 presidential election.

The president has called it 'a total witchhunt.'
Sekulow said Thursday in a statement that Dowd 'has been a valuable member of our legal team and we will continue our ongoing cooperation with the office of special counsel regarding this inquiry.'
Sekulow's role had been public communications on behalf of the Trump legal team. It's unclear how that team might be reorganized in the coming days.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next