George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married

+12
Natascha
sisieq
Clooney
cindigirl
bellybaby
iamnoone
sandwiches
watching
Dexterdidit
lucy
fluffy
Katiedot
16 posters

Go down

An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married Empty An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married

Post by Katiedot Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:25

From the gloss

An Open Letter To George Clooney About Never Getting Married

23 June 2011 by Jennifer Wright,

Hi, buddy. You look nice today. Oh, also, we need to talk.

I think running around saying “I’m never getting married again” has stopped being cute. Look, there’s a time – for all of us – when saying “I’m never getting married!” is adorable. That time is when we’re five years old and saying “I’m only going to marry you, Spikeroll!” And Spikeroll is a stuffed dinosaur. But just as declaring “I’m only going to marry you, Spikeroll” is less “charming” when you’re 50 and more “you have objectophilia.” So is boldly stating that you can just never marry again. To anyone.

Look, it’s not never getting married itself that I think is dumb. I’m not implying that if you don’t get married your tattered body will be found three weeks after your death, partially eaten by… no one, for you have not even a cat to love. I would never imply that. Besides. It wouldn’t matter to you. You’d be dead.

I would imply that ruling it out as a possibility seems idiotic, though. Okay. Sure. You might never get married again, George Clooney. If you never find anyone you love enough for the kind of self sacrifice that marriage entails you should never get married again. But it seems hard for anyone to definitively know what the future holds unless they are some sort of non-charlatan psychic.

But look. You are reaching the age where, well, where you’re no longer a young man. How would this look, George Clooney, this proud declaration that you’re “never getting married!” if you were not George Clooney? Let’s just imagine you as a random fifty year old dude in a bar telling seemingly everyone you come into contact with that you are never going to get married. Let’s just picture you there, pounding down brewskis shouting, “I’m not getting married! Not me!” You would not sound like a super cool dude. You would sound like a full-on lunatic.

The problem is that there’s a point in life where it begins to sound slightly egotistical. Now, that’s a kind of egotism that you can get away with much more easily if you are George Clooney versus if you are that random fifty year old in the bar. But it still carries the assumption that everyone woman wants – desperately! – to marry you.

And, well, George, you are still a very dapper bachelor. I suppose I would probably still be very happy to date you despite the fact that I am half your age. I suppose a great many women feel that way. But not all of them, George! If you ask some of them women in the office they will reply, hesitantly “well, you know, he’s kind of… old.” They’d rather date Ryan Gosling. I’m just trying to level with you, buddy.

I imagine, in ten years time, as you become truly old, the number of enthusiastic women is going to dwindle considerably. And it’s also a point when you might want to reevaluate just seeing supermodels and maybe consider different life choices. And at that point, this “never getting married speech” is going to seem incredibly stupid.

I’m not saying you need to get married. But I’m saying, stop ruling the possibliy out in public, buddy. Partly because you might legitimately have a change of heart. And partly because sometime, not that far away, now, it is going to make you look like the crazy guy at the bar – because not everyone will want to marry you.

So, good night, and good luck.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married Empty Re: An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married

Post by fluffy Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:41

The womans insane! Leave Gee alone! I have no "need" to be maried either! If the sanctity of marriage means that you only stay together a couple of years, cheat, lie, get bored with eachother and then start to hate eachother, leave me single please!!!! George m'love you stick with me!!
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married Empty Re: An open letter to George Clooney about never getting married

Post by lucy Fri 24 Jun 2011, 13:02

Nothing is wrong about not wanting to experience marriage in your life,especially if you have and didn't like it! Have to say if she(author) of this letter had as many men as George has women wanting to marry her over a period of how many years, lets say 20, she might be publicly making statements like I'M NEVER GETTING MARRIED!!!!
Have to say this reminds me of a family situation were you can insult a family member, but look out if some one else does.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Fri 24 Jun 2011, 13:17

There are some people who have quite good lives and never marry it doesn't make you any less a happy person if that is what you choose. George has been married it didn't work and he doesn't want to do it again mostly because he knows his own limits and doesn't think he is husband material. How about applauding him for his honesty? It doesn't mean he will be alone forever he just doesn't want to get married!
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 24 Jun 2011, 13:26

“But I’m saying, stop ruling the possibliy out in public, buddy”

Why? You think he should hide his opinion about his own life and what works for him to appease you? That it is his role to make you feel better about marriage in general? George saying HE doesn't want to get married doesn’t mean he is saying all marriage is bad and evil. He just realises through his life experiences that it is not for him.

Could she be more patronizing? So her viewpoint is valid and must be respected but not his? What a crock! So all those de-facto couples that live together but never wed are idiotic and unable to self sacrifice? That those relationships are lesser and not valued the same way that other couples that wed are? I’m guessing she is one of those people who believe that all women want children the same way she thinks everyone should want to get married as if those two life experiences are the only ways to measure value and worth in respect to someone’s life. Let’s not look at their accomplishments, their contribution, their involvement, etc. He isn’t breaking the law, hurting anyone, denigrating anyone else’s choices – yet he gets openly mocked for not fitting into what society deems acceptable behaviour.

And how does George saying that he will never marry become egotistical? I would think it is impressively self aware. What is egotistical are the women who think they can change his mind. And the press who think they have a right to pass judgment on the decisions he makes about his own happiness and what he views as important to him.

Honey, if you need an actor that you have never met to publicly change his position on marriage to somehow support and validate your choice to wed then you have some serious self esteem and insecurity issues. And maybe you should be spending more time focusing on your own marriage than his lack of it.
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 14:36

Hello all: George, from what I remember, made the first “no marriage” statement many years ago and it stuck to him like mud. He even says that in some video I saw on YouTube. But, it has served him well! When he finds out the girl he’s dating isn’t wedding material he can use it as a weapon. AND this is my own observation/opinion. I think this young lady would love to be the one to get him to the altar but, in defense of her, I also think she genuinely cares for our George in her own little way. So be easy on her. She’s young and has a lot to learn in life, still. I would love to see George happy, married or not, just happy for once! Since I started following him, he looked happy while working more so than with the girl! BUT HE IS NOT GAY! George is the type to come out if that were the issue. He’s not afraid of anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Fri 24 Jun 2011, 15:01

The only reason he keeps saying it is because people keep asking him.
sandwiches
sandwiches
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by iamnoone Fri 24 Jun 2011, 15:09

I disagree completely with this article and really didn't care for the patronizing tone at all. For one thing as others point out he said it in an article ages ago and only when his GF's say stuff in interviews like they want to get married then reporters come out and ask george hey george are you getting married?

in those circumstances he is saying he does not ever want to be married again. he WILL NEVER get married. there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

and I'd like to disagree with her, even when george is 10 yrs older he'll not lack for companionship. hell in some parts of the country pot bellied gray hairs have women competing for their attention they aren't rich and gorgeous and are not famous or high visibility. they are just men. (charming, nice, kind etc but men)

personally i respect george for knowing what he wants, and laying things on the line clearly for anyone involved and being up front about it. any female that gets involved is an adult and knows what she's getting into.

iamnoone
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Fri 24 Jun 2011, 15:14

I'm gonna side with the author here, folks. Bricks IMO, she has a valid point...it was interesting, and cute and all that, and it certainly brought out the "challenge" for alot of women - hence, women over the globe will always fantasize that they were the "one" to change him.
But one day, he may have a change of heart. And he can absolutely feel that marriage isn't for him, and that's ok, and valid and all that.
But at this stage in his life, does he really need to keep saying it ? When the napkin rings start appearing, he can always deny it. But it is getting to be a little old....no pun intended.

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 15:43

Here's an interesting article: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Everyone is talking about the sexiest man alive being single again, including Kimora Lee Simmons.

The beauty tells RumorFix that she does think that George Clooney will get married eventually, but, the fashion model/entrepreneur tells us, "It has to be the right woman."

The 36-year-old, who's happily married to Djimon Hounsou, says, "[Elisabetta Canalis] is probably really nice. All his girlfriends are really nice."

What do you know about Kimora Lee Simmons?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 16:34

I just don't get why it cant be accepted he doesn't want to marry and doesn't want kids and no i don't think he is gay either, and i don't think there was a contract with whatsherface, yes it would be lovely to see him with a baby but he doesn't want that and its his life and his decision

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 24 Jun 2011, 16:45

I think a number of his long-term fans accept that marriage and children isn't - and never will be - George's style. Let's be honest, if you can't accept that fundamental character trait of George's, then who exactly are you a fan of?

I know none of us know him, but let's at least get the basics right!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 24 Jun 2011, 16:55

I vote that everyone leave him alone on this marriage crap. The man doesn't want to get married again. Why should he get married and end up, like so many married celebs, cheating on his wife?

He's been taking the "high road" for years now, being honest about his beliefs
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Fri 24 Jun 2011, 17:43

I second that vote!
Clooney
Clooney
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 18:04

third

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 18:10

Fourth

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Fri 24 Jun 2011, 20:14

I don't think George would cheat on his wife.

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Natascha Fri 24 Jun 2011, 20:50

George is just very committed to his work and he knows many women don't understand that and he simply doesn't have the time to look after kids the way they should be looked after so he is reasonable enough not to marry and not to have kids.
Much better than those who get married, have kids and don't care anymore!

Natascha
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 21:12

@sisieq I don't think he would cheat on his “wife” at this age either. If and when he decides to get married, he’ll know what he’s getting into. That is probably why he’s never married again. His wondering “eye”. Oh puh-lease!

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Fri 24 Jun 2011, 23:11

LMAO!

He already knows what he got into and got out of it. Marriage is not just for him.

Last edited by Clooney on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 23:14; edited 1 time in total
Clooney
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jun 2011, 23:13

right Cinderella, right
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 24 Jun 2011, 23:52

Sis - that was the rumour of the main reason as to why Talia left him and threw him out of their house.
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sat 25 Jun 2011, 01:14

watching wrote:Sis - that was the rumour of the main reason as to why Talia left him and threw him out of their house.

Interesting! Though he's alot older know, but who knows what he would still do. I would think it would depend on the female. LOL!

Thanks for the info!!

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Sat 25 Jun 2011, 01:19

Talia also wanted kids and George didn't. So they split ways. I don't find the cheating one the real reason.
Clooney
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Sat 25 Jun 2011, 01:28

No wonder George Clooney has become a confirmed bachelor -- his only marriage didn't last as long as the divorce wrangling!

Clooney wed actor Martin Balsam's daughter Talia on Dec. 15, 1989, and they separated 20 months later. But it took 25 months before the divorce decree became final in September 1993.

The couple fought long and hard in court over their community property -- including George's prize possession, a potbellied pig named Max.

"George wound up getting Max although Talia had become very fond of him," Talia's uncle, actor Dick Van Patten, told The ENQUIRER. "They fought over that -- it was like a child custody battle!

"George didn't treat Talia badly during the marriage. I remember he took her to Vegas for their honeymoon. But after they were wed he just decided, 'I guess I shouldn't have gotten married. I didn't know what this marriage business was like.'

"It was too confining for him."

At the time of the marriage, George, now 40, was a struggling actor who was "pursuing stardom with a vengeance, but Talia wanted a more traditional marriage so she was not at all that supportive," a close friend revealed.

"Over the course of their marriage, they continued to grow apart because they could not find a compromise. Eventually, George started getting better and better roles and people started to really notice him -- especially women.

"George and Talia began arguing more often because he wasn't home a lot, so they finally decided it would be best for both of them if they divorced.

"That's when things got really ugly. George was furious when Talia -- whose family had money -- insisted she get all the furniture and other household goods because as a struggling actor, it took him a long time to acquire those things."

In the end, Clooney got a baby grand piano, a 1959 Corvette, a 1983 Harley, a l988 Saab and a 1991 motor home, plus the money in four bank accounts, interests in partnerships, stocks and a Studio City house.

Talia got $95,000 in cash from George, her jewelry, some bank accounts and a 1988 Dodge.

Each was allowed to keep whatever "furniture, furnishings, artwork, antiques, fixtures, personal mementos, household equipment and appliances, crystal, china, flatware and linens currently in (their) possession," according to court papers.

Said the friend: "That whole experience didn't turn George off women, but it did turn him off to getting married again."

Even while he was married, George always acted very much like a single guy, say sources.

"I had no idea there was a Mrs. Clooney," said a waitress at Du-Par's restaurant, where Clooney was a fixture. "Nobody did.

"He was in here all the time with a group of buddies. He was the quintessential single guy."

And a former neighbor in Studio City disclosed: "We all remember the pig, but most people had no idea George was married.

"Some days he kept the pig in the yard outside. Some neighbors complained it smelled. It never bothered me. It just snorted at night sometimes.

"But as for his wife -- I never saw her. Then she was gone and he lived there with a few buddies."

Talia married actor John Slattery in 1998, and they live happily in New York City.

Said a New York pal: "Talia's husband is gorgeous, he makes her laugh. They're really connected. So I'd say she's done pretty well since George. I don't think she's crying over him at all."
Clooney
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Sat 25 Jun 2011, 01:48

Didn't Max come after Talia? No wonder he hates marriage the divorce lasted longer then it did and he got ulcers from it! He doesn't like confrontation and learnt his distance routine when he isn't happy. He did the same with Celine he took jobs so he could have space. We saw him do it this last year with Eli which makes me believe she wasn't around as much as she wanted people to believe. Talia moved on to a great guy and has a kid so she is happy and she will be the only woman to ever claim the ex Mrs Clooney title!
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun 2011, 02:14

@Clooney: thanks for sharing this, I had no idea. Just by reading, I got allergic to marriage, what a terrible financial battle. No wonder he doesn't want to get married.

I guess she needed a man who was already established in whatever career he was in it. Since she was not supportive of him and his friends were, he chose his friends, I guess...

@ Dexterdidit, as far as I know the pig came before... I was interested in the marriage, so I made a brief research. I think he dated her the first time in early 80's when he moved to LA. Then, he dated Mrs. Travolta (That's when he got the pig). Then, he reconnected with her and got married right away... I guess, even back then, he had a style of coming back to his ex, non?

Last edited by LouisLane on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 02:16; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Sat 25 Jun 2011, 07:26

Good it can be confusing. Talia played hard to get and that is what really turned him on. They didn't date very long second time around and rushed off to Vegas to elope so whatever she did it worked! I just don't think he was ready for marriage and I think once he had what he thought he couldn't he didn't feel the need to work at it. Also seems the boys were all around ALOT even though some of them were married too. I think most of boys are on wife number 2!
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 25 Jun 2011, 07:30

And some of the boys married George rejects.....
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun 2011, 08:44

I don’t know if any of you lived your life when you were young but things can be confusing. People throwing themselves at you, making you think you’re all that, you get a little confused. Not that you don’t love the one you’re with but the one you’re with keeps telling you how bad you are. So, you decide that you’re not as good as you should be and if that’s so, why not… I don’t know if this makes sense to any of you but, if you ever lived through it, you’d understand. Now after all these years, I think George has looked at himself and wants to make something out of what he considers good, Sudan, where people are dying, trying their hardest to get by day to day. He has strong feelings and it has nothing to do with OLD ideas that are long gone. Please give him a break. He’s not the ogre everyone wants to make him out to be. He’s someone who’s made it in life and cares enough to give back to those who no one thinks about. I, for one, admire that! I could care less about what he did ten years ago, much less what he did five years ago, as long as he’s trying his hardest today to get you to look at what’s wrong in our world, that’s gold in my book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney Sat 25 Jun 2011, 09:29

Yep. He got stung, made his choice, and is now gone off to do things for the better.
Clooney
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Sat 25 Jun 2011, 10:30

Hasn't George had cheating rumours following him for years though? It’s not anything had can ever be verified as no-one talks publicly about it but it seems to be discussed off the record by friends and sources. Now how much stock you put in those stories.....

So there is the possibility that he cheated on Talia.
He was allegedly with Kimberley Russell (I think) when he met Celine in Paris who had no idea that he had met someone else and started a relationship. When Celine moved to the States, he had to put her up in an apartment until he official split with Russell before Celine could move in.
When he was with Krista, there were a slew of other women reported at the same time.
When he was on/off with Lisa, there were many names thrown into the mix at the same time.
There were rumours he had someone on the side for months before he split with Larson.
With Eli there was a rumour of the Tiger Woods reject (Grubbs something) fling back in 2009.

watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 25 Jun 2011, 14:06

who knows?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sat 25 Jun 2011, 16:09

With all the time G and E spent apart I find it hard to believe he didn't have something going on the side. I also think she knew and didn't care.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sat 25 Jun 2011, 16:13

I agree with you bluebelle. I've brought this up before I think on this forum and everyone was pretty sure he "had something going on the side." I wonder who he was doing the "nasty" with. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun 2011, 16:19

I often wondered that myself. I guess she thought it was okay as long as she was the “girlfien of __” and had all the benefits that went with that title (whatever that entitled). But, then she got a little too big for her breeches. And yes, the last sentence was said using a little pun on bettabuns. This big

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara Garabedian Mon 27 Jun 2011, 02:27

Everyone, lets face it, george is happier now that he is single. One thing I am not sure why he moves these women in his house, that is a commited relationship and sort of being married without the official paper. He has both of 2 worlds. Single without the ring and committed also with someone. Why do these women think they can change George, he is what he is and you cannot change him. We all wish we could, but unitil he finds the right one, if ever, he will decide on marriage or not. I respect him for telling them I do not want to get married or have kids. That is straight forward and if you just go with it, your doing fine. But most of us could not. I know I could not, I would like a ring on my finger and know he is my man. I worked with him in several movies, and he is very nice, and funny and a kind man. I hope someday he makes the right choice whom he gets, but until then remain single and just continue your life as an actor and helping people in other countries who are less fortunate. Barbara Garabedian

Barbara Garabedian
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Mon 27 Jun 2011, 04:04

Well , I don't see George ever marrying, but I could see him in a long term relationship, with a private nurse in his old age!!! No maybe before that with some nice understanding woman with no demands or expectations. Oh by the way welcome Barbara Garabedian.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Mon 27 Jun 2011, 07:29

What George considers a relationship and what he doesn't is in itself interesting. He has said he is single when he has been with someone and I remember an interview on aussie radio where he admitted he dated a couple of women at the same time but it was nothing serious. I don't think he is ever really lonely and there are women who can meet his needs and are happy to stay behind the scenes and not be the girlfriend off. It doesn't say much for their relationship if he was seeing others but there was a rumour that Eli had another boyfriend as well.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2011, 15:54

Yes, Welcome Barbara Garabedian! Nice to hear you've worked with our George. Were you on the set of IOM? I was in Cincinnati then. He looked like he was having fun the articles in the paper/internet said. Never saw him happy around Eli, though, very sad eyes when he was with her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down