George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight

+8
annemarie
Katiedot
Sevens
benex
carolhathaway
melbert
it's me
party animal - not!
12 posters

Go down

Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight Empty Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight

Post by party animal - not! Sun 28 May 2017, 19:36

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight Empty Re: Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight

Post by it's me Sun 28 May 2017, 20:05

Where?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight Empty Re: Video message from George at the Aurora Prize tonight

Post by party animal - not! Sun 28 May 2017, 20:09

It's at 2.21.46 on the video, It's me.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 28 May 2017, 22:49

This is a little after the fact now, but here's the article that I saw:

The Aurora Prize News
[*]2017 Aurora Prize Finalists
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
2017 Aurora Prize Finalists

Five finalists selected for Aurora Prize for Awakening Humanity in recognition of their inspiring acts of compassion.
The Selection Committee for the Aurora Prize for Awakening Humanity has today announced the names of the five 2017 finalists who have been chosen for their exceptional impact, courage and commitment to preserving human life and advancing humanitarian causes. They are: 

• Ms. Fartuun Adan and Ms. Ilwad Elman, Founders of the Elman Peace and Human Rights Centre, Somalia – Mother and daughter who are unwavering in their mission to protect human rights, women’s rights, and facilitate peace building, development and the rehabilitation of child soldiers amidst insecure and dangerous conditions 
  • Ms. Jamila Afghani, Chairperson of the Noor Educational and Capacity Development Organization, Afghanistan – a polio victim who accidentally received the gift of reading and has dedicated her life to bringing reading and education to girls and women, while enlisting the help of Muslim leaders of faith in her mission.  
  • Dr. Tom Catena, Surgeon at the Mother of Mercy Hospital in the Nuba Mountains, Sudan – A Catholic missionary and doctor who for nearly a decade remains the only permanent doctor to treat the remote and war-torn region’s half-million population, performing more than 1,000 operations each year
  • Mr. Muhammad Darwish, Medical Doctor at the Madaya Field Hospital, Syria – A student of dentistry returned to his hometown and took on the full responsibilities of a medical doctor, began to perform medical procedures, offered care and maintained meticulous documentation of the conditions of patients, many of them children, affected by persisting violence, thus bringing international attention to the besieged area
  • Dr. Denis Mukwege, Gynecological Surgeon and Founder of the Panzi Hospital, The Democratic Republic of the Congo – An obstetrician turned gynecological surgeon who is providing physical, psychological and legal support to more than 50,000 survivors of sexual violence in the war-torn country while fearlessly seeking to bring to justice those responsible

The finalists will be honored at the Aurora Prize Ceremony in Yerevan, Armenia on May 28, 2017 when one will be chosen as the 2017 Aurora Prize Laureate. The Aurora Prize Laureate will receive a grant of US$100,000 to support the continuation of their work, as well as a US$1,000,000 award, which will give them the unique ability to continue the cycle of giving by supporting organizations that have inspired their work. 

The Selection Committee, co-chaired by Academy Award-winning actor and humanitarian George Clooney, includes Nobel Laureates Oscar Arias, Shirin Ebadi and Leymah Gbowee; former president of Ireland Mary Robinson; human rights activist Hina Jilani; former Foreign Minister of Australia and President Emeritus of the International Crisis Group Gareth Evans; and former president of Mexico Ernesto Zedillo. The Committee shortlisted the five finalists from more than 550 nominations for 254 unique candidates submitted by the general public from 66 countries and in 13 languages. 

Speaking on behalf of the Aurora Prize Selection Committee, Vartan Gregorian, Committee Member, President of the Carnegie Corporation of New York and co-founder of the Aurora Humanitarian Initiative said, “We are gratified by the enormous response generated by the call for nominations. It is an acknowledgment of our shared humanity and values. While geography and circumstances differ for each nominee, it is the similarities that unite them all. Individual human beings risk their own well-being and safety in order to rescue those in desperate need of help, and it is Aurora’s mission to support these saviors. We believe that those who are rescued will themselves continue the cycle of gratitude and giving.”

Marguerite Barankitse from Maison Shalom and REMA Hospital in Burundi was named the first Aurora Prize Laureate on April 24, 2016 in Yerevan, Armenia. Following the horrifying experience of being forced to witness the execution of 72 Hutu neighbors whom she tried to hide to keep safe from persecution, Ms. Barankitse, a Tutsi, has spent the last 20 years providing safe haven for orphans and refugees escaping violence and abuse during her country’s civil war. She has rescued and educated roughly 30,000 children, and the hospital she opened in 2008 has treated more than 80,000 patients to date. 

“Children from Brazil to Ethiopia to the many Burundian refugees in Rwanda are thriving today because they now have the love, education and support they need, thanks to the generous backing of the 2016 Aurora Prize,” said Barankitse. “The powerful work of the 2017 finalists is truly awe-inspiring. These individuals embody the spirit of gratitude in action by keeping hope alive for so many of our brothers and sisters around the world. Their work is destined to unleash the human potential for love.” 

The Aurora Prize for Awakening Humanity was established in 2015 by the Aurora Humanitarian Initiative on behalf of the survivors of the Armenian Genocide and in gratitude to their saviors. The Aurora Prize will honor an Aurora Laureate each year until 2023, in remembrance of the eight years of the Armenian Genocide (1915 -1923).

2017 Nominated Organizations
Each Finalist was invited to nominate up to three organizations to receive the $1 million award.  

Ms. Fartuun Adan and Ms. Ilwad Elman

• Elman Peace & Human Rights Centre, Somalia
• Vive Zene, Center for Therapy and Rehabilitation, Bosnia and Herzegovina
• Panzi Foundation, USA and DRC

Ms. Jamila Afghani

• Women’s Islamic Initiative in Spirituality & Equality (WISE), USA
• Tanenbaum Center for Interreligious Understanding, USA
• Karama Network of Advocacy and Human Rights (KNAHR), Afghanistan

Dr. Tom Catena

• African Mission Healthcare Foundation (AMHF), USA   WINNER
• Catholic Medical Mission Board (CMMB), USA

• Aktion Canchanabury, Germany

Mr. Muhammad Darwish

• Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontiėres (MSF), Switzerland

Dr. Denis Mukwege, Panzi Foundation in USA and DRC

• Yennenga Progress (Sweden)
• L’Association des Victimes, Parents et Amies du 28 Septembre 2009 (AVIPA), Guinea
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 29 May 2017, 10:11

carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by benex Mon 29 May 2017, 15:01

[size=48]George Clooney Says People Can "Make a Difference" Amid Humanitarian Crises
3:21 AM PDT 5/29/2017 by Nick Holdsworth
[/size]

•  FACEBOOK
  •  TWITTER
  • [email=?body=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-clooney-says-people-can-make-a-difference-humanitarian-crises-1008353&subject=George%20Clooney%20Says%20People%20Can%20%22Make%20a%20Difference%22%20Amid%20Humanitarian%20Crises] EMAIL ME[/email]

•  COMMENTS

Getty Images

George Clooney

The star jokes that if he attended this year's Aurora Humanitarian prize ceremony in Armenia, and "my wife had twins while I was there, I could never come home."

George Clooney renewed his endorsement of a million- dollar peace prize Sunday when he spoke of the power of "individuals to make a difference" in addressing the world's various humanitarian crises.
In a video address at the awards ceremony of the Aurora Prize for Awakening Humanity, held late Sunday in Yerevan, Armenia, the Oscar-winning actor, humanitarian activist and father-to-be, to laughter and applause quipped: "I really would have been [in Yerevan] but if I came there and my wife had twins while I was there, I could never come home."
Clooney's wife, Amal, a prominent international human rights lawyer whom he married in a private ceremony in Venice in September 2014, is due to give birth in June, though pediatricians say twins often come early.

WATCH MORE

George and Amal Clooney Expecting Twins | THR News

Clooney, who was in Yerevan last year when he presented the award at the inaugural Aurora ceremony, is co-chair of the award's prize selection committee. A co-founder of humanitarian organizations The Sentry and Not on Our Watch, he has highlighted humanitarian crises in Sudan, Darfur and other parts of Africa.
Sunday's $1.1 million Aurora Prize went to American doctor Tom Catena, a Catholic missionary from Amsterdam, N.Y., who has saved thousands of lives working as the sole doctor permanently based in Sudan's war-ravaged Nuba Mountains.
"As violence and war continue to threaten people’s spirits and perseverance, it is important to recognize, empower and celebrate people like Dr. Catena who are selflessly helping others to not only survive, but thrive," Clooney said. "Dr. Catena is a role model to us all, and yet another example of people on the ground truly making a difference."
Speaking to the press after Sunday's award, Catena said: "It is very helpful that we have people like George Clooney…that are very dedicated to the struggle [in the Nuba Mountains]."
Catena received a $100,000 grant to support his work with the $1 million shared between three charities of his choice: the U.S.-based African Mission Healthcare Foundation and the Catholic Medical Mission Board; and Germany's Aktion Canchanabury.
The founders of the Aurora Prize, president of the Carnegie Corporation of New York and former Brown University president Vartan Gregorian, American businessman Noubar Afeyan, both of whom are of Armenian descent, and Yerevan-born, Moscow-based entrepreneur Ruben Vardanyan, designed the prize-money split as an "opportunity to continue the cycle of giving."
The Aurora prize, launched last year, was set up to honor the survivors of the Armenian genocide of 1915-1923 and to inspire others today to follow the example of people of all nationalities who at that time came to the aid of people suffering in one of the earliest and, at the time, biggest humanitarian crises of the 20th century.
benex
benex
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 29 May 2017, 18:09

Last year ceremony's highlights:
This is 2017 ceremony full video, haven't found when he appears:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 29 May 2017, 18:21

OK. I found George's video message on their official Facebook:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 29 May 2017, 23:47

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 30 May 2017, 03:45

Idiot tabloid press run with these headlines:

The Mirror: Amal Clooney 'bars' George from attending his own humanitarian awards event as they await twins' imminent arrival.

Daily Mail:  George Clooney on a Tight Leash Before Birth of his Twins

Why do they have to make it sound so nasty?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 30 May 2017, 11:32

Yes Katie. Feel like writing a comment along the lines of 'IT. WAS. A. JOKE.' but can't be bothered.

Here's People's take.....I'm guessing they'll have the scoop

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 30 May 2017, 11:50

What is sad is that there are people who will believe it .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 30 May 2017, 13:10

There are always people - and will always be - who don't understan a joke or don't want to. Does it help to bother about them? I don't think so...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 30 May 2017, 14:40

carolhathaway wrote: Does it help to bother about them? I don't think so...
Nope, but heck, what else have we got to talk about at the moment?!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 30 May 2017, 14:41

Interesting to me is that she has kept her home in Notting Hill. I wasn't sure she had. I guess that's where they stay when they're in town. Convenient. I wonder if they've prepared it for the twins, too.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 31 May 2017, 00:51

I think the Notting Hill place is probably what us commoners refer to as Public Storage.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 31 May 2017, 02:18

I suspect it's a period property for what is an internationally wealthy family and used as a London pied-a-terre in a smart area for any member who's in town or travelling through.....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 31 May 2017, 03:47

Can I ask where the talk of the Notting Hill flat comes in?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 31 May 2017, 17:03

It was stated that Amal has place in Notting Hill above.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 01 Jun 2017, 12:36

Pretty amazing reporting from Nick Kristof on Dr. Tom in the Nuba Mountains.

Also features praise from Ryan Boyette who lives and works there and has married a girl from the Nuba Mountains - George and John Prendergast managed managed to visit them and film a few years ago......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 01 Jun 2017, 13:34

I'm deeply impressed after having watched the video PAN posted. We can't even imagine the horrible living condition these people have, no alternative except of leaving their country and living in a refugee camp in a neighboring country. Or risking their lives by crossing the Mediterranean Sea to reach Europe - and often being told that they only want to live a better life than at home. If you watch this report you realize that they don't have a life at home.

And Dr. Cateba is certainly an extraordinary man, I can't imagine how he's able to cope with what he sees every day. Not to be able to save lives he could save easily if only he had access to everything we have here. To see children die because there's no runnning water, no medicine, and a regime which is fighting his own people.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 01 Jun 2017, 20:53

Agree Carol. Remarkable report by Nick Kristof. It's very hard to watch. Dr. Catena is an amazing human being. PAN, appreciate the video link.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Thu 01 Jun 2017, 22:57

Armenia.... don't pick at a scab that is healing....take good advice.  Remember, never forget....but do not reopen a healing wound....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 02 Jun 2017, 06:46

WWHS,
do you mean that it's wrong to talk about the Armenian genozide and to mention it's done by honoring people with the Aurora Prize?
Don't forget that Turkey always tried to excuse the killing of all these people - and still does. Nothing can heal when the government of the country who did this to your people, still says, after 100 years, that Armenians were enemies of Turkey and needed to be fought. That Turkish kids never hear about that at school etc. 
Since I'm German, I unfortunately have very good examples for that. Soon after WW II nobody here talked about the Holocoust, about concentration camps etc. Of course there was a denazification, but suddenly everybody had been a secret partisan, nobody was responsible, nobody supported the nazis, everybosy just was a member of the party because they needed to be. My parents are in their late 70s, and they  were never taught that at school, never heard anything about that. The judgment of Nuremberg was the first time, Germany had to face what we'd done, and when I was at school, we learned a lot about that, visited a concentration camp etc. When I hear my parents talk, I can still hear prejudices against jews which, I think, go back to those times when they were young and everybody who was grown up during the Hitler regime just tried to judge all their actions, teachers were still in the lead etc. When I was young, I had endless discussions with my parents about that, and it took us years before they said 'It was wrong, horrible' without adding an excuse '...but...', genozide can't be excused.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 09 Jun 2017, 08:45

Sevens wrote:OK. I found George's video message on their official Facebook:

Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down