George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 3

+11
Alisonfan
fava
What Would He Say
amaretti
ladybugcngc
melbert
carolhathaway
LizzyNY
annemarie
party animal - not!
Donnamarie
15 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 3

Post by annemarie Tue 21 Mar 2017, 00:43

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4333106/First-daughter-Ivanka-Trump-gets-West-Wing-office.html

Ivanka gets a West Wing office near her father AND access to classified secrets - but she still isn't a government employee

• Ivanka Trump will get a West Wing office despite not having a government role

• The First Daughter will have security clearance to access classified information

• She has already been part of WH discussions by meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau 

By Associated Press

comments

Ivanka Trump is working out of a West Wing office and will get access to classified information, though she is not technically serving as a government employee.
Jamie Gorelick, an attorney and ethics adviser for Ivanka Trump, said Monday that the first daughter will not have an official title, but will get a West Wing office, government-issued communications devices and security clearance to access classified information.
Gorelick said Ivanka Trump would follow all the ethics rules that apply to government employees.
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E60B13A00000578-4333106-image-a-37_1490054335052

+8

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Ivanka Trump sat next to each other during a White House meeting on March 17
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E63EB3200000578-4333106-image-m-50_1490048251054

+8
In the house: Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner were both present for the meeting between her father and Angela Merkel last Friday
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E5091B200000578-4333106-image-a-22_1490051597697

+8
Ivanka Trump looks up at Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau before President Donald Trump's roundtable discussion on the advancement of women entrepreneurs
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E7943F200000578-4333106-image-a-27_1490052771651

+8
Ivanka Trump will have a West Wing office. In February, she posted an Instrgam where she posed in behind the President's desk which spurred some backlash 

Since President Donald Trump took office, his eldest daughter has been an increasingly visible presence in the White House, where her husband Jared Kushner already serves as a senior adviser. 
On Friday, she participated in a meeting on vocational training with the president and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
 Ivanka Trump, who recruited the American executives in attendance, guided the discussion. She praised her father's 'commitment to creating millions of jobs' and stressed the need for private investment, noting that 'ingenuity, creativity often comes from the determination of the private sector.'
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E79316900000578-4333106-image-a-24_1490052446526

+8
Ivanka spent the day skiing with daughter Arabelle Monday in Aspen where an estimated 100 Secret Service agents guarded the First Family 
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E79320300000578-4333106-It_is_not_clear_what_exactly_Ivanka_s_role_is_in_the_Trump_admin-a-34_1490053572748

+8
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E72D7ED00000578-4333106-image-a-35_1490053572765

+8

It is not clear what exactly Ivanka's role is in the Trump administration. She has no official title but gets security clearance to access classified information
The conversation was focused on vocational training and workforce development, not on the thornier issues of international trade.
At the end of the session, Ivanka Trump said the executives would form a taskforce that will provide a report in three months detailing programs that could be expanded and ways the countries can work together. 
In February, Ivanka met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. 
The First Daughter listened intently as Trudeau held the floor in the Cabinet Room shortly after being welcomed to Washington, D.C. by the president.
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E7914DE00000578-4333106-image-a-33_1490053195064

+8
Ivanka Trump watched her father sign two bills to encourage women in business in February with First Lady Melania Trump 

[size=18]Ivanka Trump watches as Trudeau introduces 'Come From Away'
[/size]

She also gave her own input, enthusiastically contributing to the round table discussion after welcoming Trudeau and entrepreneur women to the White House.
Ivanka raised some eyebrows when she posted a photo of her sitting behind the desk at the Oval Office flanked by her father and Trudeau. 
Ivanka and Trudeau kept in touch after the meeting and went to New York last week to see a Broadway play with the Prime Minister.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 21 Mar 2017, 03:00

It's absurd for Ivanka to be in the WH. Is she just going to make up her job description and give herself a title? Trump is treating the operations of the White House like his family business. Give me a break!

I just read that our Secretary of State will not be going to what would have been his first NATO meeting in early April. He would rather be at Mar-a-Lago for the meeting with Trump and the Chinese President. After the antagonistic remarks Trump has made about NATO, the insults and accusations that NATO isn't carrying its weight he slights them even more by skipping this meeting. Oh, but the following week Tillerson will be making his first trip to Moscow. The message couldn't be more obvious.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 21 Mar 2017, 14:34

If anyone else made such an in-your-face show of nepotism Congress would have a heart attack. Last time I looked, Ivanka Trump wasn't elected to any governmental position - yet she has access to heads of state and classified information?!

That Congress tolerates Trump's totally out-of-line behavior is a betrayal of the people of the US and the Constitution. Surely he has done more than enough to be impeached.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 21 Mar 2017, 15:47

Lizzy the Congress is so partisan right now that only a Democrat in the WH would cause the Republicans to be up in arms. Just listening to the Republicans this morning talking about the hearing with Comey yesterday is enough to say unequivocally that I will never trust or respect any of the current members. So many of them want to focus on the intelligence leaks. More so than the wiretapping lie or possible collusion with Russia. It kills them to have to admit that Trump needs to apologize to Obama. Many won't admit it.
I hope those up for reelection in 2018 get creamed.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 22 Mar 2017, 17:56

PAN, sorry to hear about the violent incident in London today. It must be all over the news there. Hope all is well with you.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:24

Oh, thank you, Donnamarie. I'm fine, but tragic stuff in central London tonight.

I have been in town today and Parliament is a place I visit very regularly, so I was astonished to hear this because I know that security and cctv is unbelievably tight and there are huge pavement bollards in front of Parliament.

But how does anybody stop a random car in a line of traffic driving up a pavement full of tourists on a bridge?! 

I have just come through Westminster - and of course no trains will stop there at the moment. It all seems eerily quiet and conversations are hushed but there is no sense of panic.

Currently there are armed police at every station

A few current statistics: they think it might be a 'lone wolf' attack at this early stage, there are 500 'live' cases being monitored in the UK at this moment, and 13 terror attacks have been thwarted.

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:32

PAN - Glad you're safe. I think what's so frightening about this kind of thing is it's so random and unpredictable. I hope the authorities find out why this happened and who the attacker was. It will go a long way to reassure people.

Be careful and be safe. Give Flowers
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:41

Good to hear from you PAN. Glad you are ok. Another senseless act of violence. Hard for anyone to defend themselves against them unless you become a hermit.

Take care!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:46

Thank you, Lizzy.

A bit of info that has just come to light. The poor member of the police force who died was given mouth-to-mouth resuscitation by a foreign office minister. 

It's astonishing to me how terrible this knife attack was. I cannot imagine what it must have been like if he'd also been able to carry a gun........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 22 Mar 2017, 20:05

PAN,
It's really horrible to hear about this attack.
Like every other attack it is so absurd and mysterious. And it shows again that there is no absolute safety. You can forbid or restrict the use of weapons, can forbid passengers to take laptops with them (why no mobile phones? And why just for passengers from certain countries?). But you can't forbid the use of cars...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 22 Mar 2017, 21:20

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4337980/Trump-s-lawyers-send-cease-desist-letter-girl-17.html

Trump gets his claws out: President's lawyers send cease-and-desist letter to girl, 17, who set up website where you punch his face with kitten paws

• Lucy, 17, from San Francisco, created the website to practice her coding skills

• Three weeks after the site went live, she received the cease-and-desist letter

• The website was originally called TrumpScratch.com, but is now kittenfeed.com

By Hannah Al-Othman For MailOline
PUBLISHED: 05:14 EDT, 22 March 2017 UPDATED: 12:57 EDT, 22 March 2017

The President's lawyers have sent a cease-and-desist letter to a teenage girl who created a website that allows users to punch Donald Trump in the face with tiny kitten paws.
Lucy, a 17-year-old girl from San Francisco, created the website to practice her coding skills. 
The high school student, who wants to eventually land herself a career in web development, created the site as a 'fun, little' project to put on her resume.
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E7E9D2000000578-0-image-a-3_1490173889453

+3
The President's lawyers have sent a cease-and-desist letter to a teenage girl
She began learning the skill when she was 16, and is currently enrolled in a coding bootcamp. 
The website, which took her just three hours to create, was originally called TrumpScratch.com, but she was forced to change the name after the president's lawyers got in touch.

Three weeks after the site went live, the teenager received the cease-and-desist letter from Trump's general counsel, based in Trump Tower in Manhattan.
The letter described the President as a 'well-known businessman' and television star and continues: 'As I'm sure you're aware, the Trump name is internationally known and famous.'
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E84904F00000578-4337980-Lucy_a_17_year_old_girl_from_San_Francisco_created_the_website_t-a-2_1490174168166

+3
Lucy, a 17-year-old girl from San Francisco, created the website to practice her coding skills
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E84904A00000578-0-image-a-1_1490173236200

+3
The website, which took her just three hours to create, was originally called TrumpScratch.com, before lawyers advised her to change the name
After seeking advice from a family lawyer, Lucy changed the name of the site to KittenFeed.com.
'But after changing, they still came at me,' she told the Observer
'It's so sad that his administration is focused more on being liked, burying real news and taking down sites like mine as they supposedly make him look bad,' she added.
Since changing the name, Lucy and her lawyer have not responded to communication from the Trump counsel, and are waiting to see what happens. 
Representatives for the President have been approached for comment.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 22 Mar 2017, 22:30

Thanks guys for your thoughts today. 

Parliament and Londoners are determined to get back to normal tomorrow. It's very necessary because what we want is for us all to continue to live in a democracy. To do otherwise is to give in to the terrorists and fear.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Thu 23 Mar 2017, 11:13

My tube go past Westminster tube station less than onehour. Platform empty tube did not stop.police and extra police and helper police all out in less one hour. Amazing.my mall to extra extra security in no time.i feel. I Dryve safe today all people feel safe.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 23 Mar 2017, 12:34

annemarie wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4337980/Trump-s-lawyers-send-cease-desist-letter-girl-17.html

Trump gets his claws out: President's lawyers send cease-and-desist letter to girl, 17, who set up website where you punch his face with kitten paws

• Lucy, 17, from San Francisco, created the website to practice her coding skills

• Three weeks after the site went live, she received the cease-and-desist letter

• The website was originally called TrumpScratch.com, but is now kittenfeed.com

I read this in a different article yesterday and I laughed so hard for so long at the mental image of kittens slapping Trump that my husband came to see what was going on.  So glad 17 year old girls are learning to code!

Just went to the website and it's interactive!  You can make the kittens scratch Trump.  I think it said slap in the article I read. Oh well.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Thu 23 Mar 2017, 13:26

What Would He Say wrote:
Donnamarie wrote:If immigrants from the six countries are posing such an imminent threat to the U.S. that this ban was needed immediately what procedures has the White House put in place to investigate the current vetting system as it stands right now.   Trumpster keeps claiming our vetting system isn't extreme enough.  No evidence though.  He doesn't need a ban to send Homeland Security officials overseas to investigate and write up a report.  Has that been done?  I mean if he is so concerned ....

Sorry DonnaM....are you talking about the peeps who have been entering the U.S for aeons?......

It does seem a bit like trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted....Many of the peeps picked up and jailed in the last 2/3 years in the U.K for terror related offences are second or third generation Brits....Suspect

So what are you gonna do?.....put huge resources into border control, where sizeable amounts of unfair travel bans are put into place.....while the interior festers - simply because OF  unfair travel bans......

It only takes a match to light a fire....Suspect...and the inexperience of youth falls hard for the wrongs done by bureaucracy even  at the best of times.....

Just hear news. You r right.Terrorist British citizens.i look to see you had say it before and again.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 23 Mar 2017, 18:02

http://people.com/politics/john-mccain-congress-not-credible-russia-investigation/

[size=37]John McCain Says Congress Isn’t Credible Enough to Handle the Russia Investigation[/size]

BY ARIC JENKINS

POSTED ON MARCH 23, 2017 AT 10:35AM EDT

• TWEET
  • EMAIL

Key Republican Lawmaker Says Intelligence Was Collected on Members of Trump Transition
The Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee has confirmed that the intelligence community collected information about U.S. citizens involved in the Trump transition on numerous occasions

This article originally appeared on Time.com.
Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) says that the investigation into Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election needs to be handled by a special committee because Congress no longer has the “credibility to handle this alone.”
Speaking during an episode of For the Record on MSNBC on Wednesday, McCain said that there was no evidence for Rep. Devin Nunes'(R-Calif.) claim that President Donald Trump and his transition team underwent incidental surveillance. McCain immediately followed up by adding that there was also no substantiation for Rep. Adam Schiff’s (D-Calif.) statement rebuking Nunes’ comments.

“It’s a bizarre situation,”McCain said. “I think that this back and forth and what the American people have found so far is that no longer does Congress have the credibility to handle this alone.”

[ltr]

The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 SN7D9jaTaMjxSxSB[/ltr]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 2QGXNfhM_normalfake nick ramsey 

@nick_ramsey
[ltr]... @senjohnmccain mincing no words on this talking to @greta: "what we need is a select committee."[/ltr]

6:12 PM - 22 Mar 2017

•  

•  99 Retweets

•  1212 likes

McCain added that he has stopped trying to interpret what the president said, a response to Trump’s comments that he feels somewhat “vindicated” by the House Intelligence Committee’s disclosure.
This article originally appeared in Time.com

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 24 Mar 2017, 20:21

http://people.com/politics/president-trump-gop-health-care-vote-pulled/

POLITICS

[size=37]President Trump Has GOP Health Care Vote Pulled Rather Than Risk a Losing Roll Call[/size]

BY TIERNEY MCAFEE@TIERNEYMCAFEE

POSTED ON MARCH 24, 2017 AT 3:58PM EDT

• TWEET
  • EMAIL

The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 Gettyimages-6484003601.jpg?crop=0px%2C0px%2C3572px%2C2380[url=https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Fpresident-trump-gop-health-care-vote-pulled%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F03%2Fgettyimages-6484003601.jpg%3Fw%3D1024&description=President Trump Has GOP Health Care Vote Pulled Rather Than Risk a Losing Roll%C2%A0Call][/url]
WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 05: PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP WAVES AS HE WALKS ACROSS THE SOUTH LAWN TOWARDS THE WHITE HOUSE ON MARCH 5, 2017 IN WASHINGTON, DC. TRUMP IS RETURNING FROM A WEEKEND AT HIS MAR-A-LAGO CLU IN PALM BEACH. FLORIDA. (PHOTO BY ERIK S. LESSER-POOL/GETTY IMAGES)
President Donald Trump had the vote on his health care legislation pulled at the last minute on Friday after House Republicans failed to gather enough votes.
“We just pulled it,” Trump told The Washington Post in an interview minutes before scheduled vote.
The move comes hours after House Speaker Paul Ryan visited the White House to tell Trump the legislation didn’t have enough votes to pass.
“I don’t blame Paul,” Trump said Friday.
Washington Post reporter Robert Costa tweeted that President Trump called him to tell him the vote was pulled. Costa told MSNBC Trump said the final decision was his own, and that he sounded businesslike on the phone, not angry.

Trump pulled the plug even after his White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, insisted to reporters the show would go on — win or lose. “The House will be voting on the American Health Care Act, the current vote is scheduled for 3:30,” Spicer told the White House press corps earlier Friday.

The vote was initially scheduled for Thursday but was delayed by House Republicans following a tense day of negotiations that failed to yield enough votes for the legislation.
Trump responded Thursday night by issuing an ultimatum to GOP lawmakers — demanding they vote on Friday and threatening to leave Obamacare in place if the new health care legislation failed to pass.
Many considered the move a major gamble for Trump in this early stage of his presidency.
But Ryan also backed the make-or-break vote, telling reporters on Thursday: “We have been promising the American people that we will repeal and replace this broken law because it’s collapsing and it’s failing families. And tomorrow we’re proceeding.”
Thursday marked the seventh anniversary of the passage of President Barack Obama‘s Affordable Care Act that brought health insurance to millions of Americans. The former president celebrated the law’s successes in a lengthy statement on Thursday.

“Thanks to this law, more than 20 million Americans have gained the security and peace of mind of health insurance,” Obama wrote. “Thanks to this law, more than 90 percent of Americans are insured — the highest rate in our history. Thanks to this law, the days when women could be charged more than men and Americans with pre-existing conditions could be denied coverage altogether are relics of the past,” Obama wrote. “America is stronger because of the Affordable Care Act.”

Some conservatives are also opposed to the legislation, saying it doesn’t go far enough to repeal Obamacare.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 24 Mar 2017, 20:44

The GOP failed, Ryan failed and Trump failed.  Seven years the Republicans tried to repeal the ACA.  Seven years.  And what was their plan?  All they had to show for it was this pathetic and worthless bill.  

I don't think Trump cares much that this went down.  He never had any heart or passion in providing an improved health care system to Americans.  He just wanted Obamacare defeated.  He will move on and blame the Democrats.  

My fear is that the Republicans will continue to badmouth the ACA. They will try to sabotage it.  I think Trump signed an Executive Order that implied that the government would try to rid Obamacare of the individual mandate.  The Democrats better get their ducks in a row and start talking up the importance of the ACA and how it needs to be improved.  They need to call out Republicans for trying to destroy the only healthcare system that we have and how they won't lift a finger to improve it.  

Sorry for going on and on.  I'm just relieved this bill got pulled.  But the ACA is still in trouble as long as the Republicans rule in the House and Senate.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 20:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 Mar 2017, 14:45

Yesterday in Britain it was Comic Relief Red Nose Day, culminating with an evening of fundraising and Red Nose Love Actually. And given the timing Hugh Grant totally cracked it with his final speech.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4347778/Hugh-Grant-makes-poignant-Love-Actually-2-speech.html

Oh, and by the way, all the journalists in the room are very real!

Also loved Bill Maher's wonderful opening comments last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Q31tirgXk

Oh, and Carol........keep doing what you're doing!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 25 Mar 2017, 15:37

Donald Trump's presidency could be finished by Russia investigations, former NSA analyst says - The Independent
https://apple.news/ApPaYJR4HT_WnnbG_stZTfQ

SO SORRY...... I'm unable to copy the whole story from 
today's Independent.

But thought that this made interesting reading for
us across the pond !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:30

Joanna - I wish I could tell you to break out the champagne and start celebrating the beginning of the end of Hair Furor (I LOVE that name! - Not mine - I stole it.) The fact is that people have been saying this since Trump got elected. If it does happen it will take some time and be an uphill fight - unless something HUUUUUGE comes out about his foreign dealings.

Honestly, I'm as concerned about his dealings with China as I am with his Russian ties, Seems to me his bluster and fluster about Russia may be a red herring because there isn't much there to damn him - and it keeps attention away from what he's doing in China.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 25 Mar 2017, 18:06

After the link to Bill Maher's show (thanks PAN), another video started about Rachel Maddox, and that just blew me away:

carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 25 Mar 2017, 19:31

Thanks Joanna for the Trumpster article. Reading it and watching Rachel's video (thank you Carol) pretty much puts the Russian/Trump story in some perspective ... as of now. Rachel is hitting it out of the park almost every night with her analysis of the Trump/Russia connections.

There is so much trickling out about this situation almost on a daily basis that it is hard to keep up with names, dates and associations. But these links between Trump, his people and numerous Russian types just keep expanding. The biggest astonishment for me this week was the Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, who is investigating Trump's connections to Russia, meeting with Trump at the White House to discuss information regarding what the Committee is investigating. There's a thought that this secret info that the Chairman received was actually sent to him ...... from the White House! Just blows my mind.

Oh and thanks PAN for another brilliant Bill Maher monologue!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 Mar 2017, 22:40

Pleasure, Donnamarie.

I hear that 'just leaving Obamacare to do die' is an option Trump is rumoured to have suggested......Caring sort of guy.
https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/845411186136903680

And is Nunes fit to lead that committee?........gather he disappeared into the night and nobody knows where he went.....

Manafort/Ukraine stuff pretty mind boggling too

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 26 Mar 2017, 11:59

I just watched an MSNBC video which analyzes the significance of Trump's failure in his new health care:

carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 26 Mar 2017, 12:25

So to try to puzzle it together:

The Republicans fought the ACA for seven years and promised to replace it with a much better law which guarantees access to health care for everybody at lower costs, Trump promised to pass this law within the first 60 days of his presidency.

His presidency started, and after a few weeks he statued: "Who would have thought that health care is so complicated?" The honest answer would be: "Everybody except you!"

Trump also has the problem that he has to unite those left-wing Republicans who see the importance of a working health care system and those who want to leave it to everybody if he insures his health risks or not.

And his party let him down! In his first law after several of his decrets were let down by judges. And instead of working on them in a manner that will stand up in court, he reviles the judges.
He doesn't seem to understand the complexity of governing a country and seems to be completely overextended with the job he was elected for.

There were presidents before who had no or just few experience in governing, but they were smart enough to surround them with people who were able to compensate this lack of skills, and that requires the ability to admit that they need qualified people. (In fact, even when you have a lot of political experience, you still need a lot of qualified politicians because you can't do it all alone.)

Last edited by carolhathaway on Sun 26 Mar 2017, 12:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell...)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 26 Mar 2017, 13:56

Carolhathaway - The thing is, Trump doesn't really have a party. He's not really a Republican or a Democrat. He's an opportunist who pushed his way into the Republican party because they let him, but he really has no party affiliation. Career politicians have no loyalty to him because he has no loyalty to them so getting his agenda through Congress will be a fight on every issue.

The pundits in the video you posted were talking about his lack of political acuity. That alone could make his presidency a disaster. But they left out all the other issues that could destroy his presidency: nepotism, racism, anti-semitism, corruption, insanity, treason!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 26 Mar 2017, 14:25

There is another small, but significant, thing that I've heard mention of going on here.

I found it hard to believe but apparently there are some (maybe they are youngest with no ailments as yet) who did not realise that when Trump said he was going to get rid of Obamacare that he was actually talking about ACA!

So I'm guessing some of those folk are just realising what it all actually means! That and the fact that the richest will benefit most of course!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 26 Mar 2017, 16:50

You have to wonder how much fear and ignorance drove this election. A very dangerous combination. Trump stoked the fear and unfortunately a portion of our country is guilty of being quite uninformed and yes, sadly, ignorant.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 26 Mar 2017, 17:16

Fear had a lot to do with it as did ignorance. The other thing that caused this was believing that a man who has never been poor a day in his miserable life would make their lives better.

The rich take care of their own not the poor and that is exactly what he is doing.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 26 Mar 2017, 17:40

...well, if it's any consolation, there are parts of the Brexit vote that might have been like that - altho I have never seen so much engagement and conversation about it amongst all age groups, certainly not even in an election - but not too many people appreciated just how long, for instance, a trade agreement would take to hammer out. And to be honest how many would realise unless they'd looked at the fine print or had experience in the field?

It's extraordinary to me that the EU is only 40 years old......and how very extensive the legal ramifications are for it! And I'm perfectly sure the bill in such a specialised field will be huge!

I still think there must be a halfway house - and the borders thing still concerns me just due to personal experience.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 26 Mar 2017, 17:45

Lizzy,
I always thought that, though Trump is no 'real' or 'homegrown' Republican, they would still support him and his politics because he won the elections for them and is their president, thought that there would be enough 'discipline' to pass this law. But either really rejected this law because they didn't agree with it or because they wanted to teach Trump a lesson, tell him that he can't act without their support.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 26 Mar 2017, 18:10

Carolhathaway - If Trump were a more moderate, mainstream politician he might get the support of the majority of the Republicans in Congress. But, thanks to Steve Bannon, he is too far-right wing for most of them. They want to get re-elected and they see that backing Trump - especially on this health care bill - would hurt their chances with their constituents.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 26 Mar 2017, 18:37

PAN,
I had exactly the same association as you:
Many people in Britain who voted 'leave' at the referendum, didn't do it because they really wanted Britain to leave the EU, but wanted to protest against some issue. Which in general is a good idea, but since it had nothing to do with the EU itself, was just stupid IMO. Except that they got rid of their PM.
Up to that referendum I'd always thought that it's a good political instrument to participate the population, since that I think that some issues are just too complicated and complex for everybody without knowing everything.

It's easy to say "If we'll leave the EU, we'll have billions for the NHS" without mentioning the billions the EU gives to Britain as well. I just read an article in a German news magazine about parts of Wales which get billions of grants from the EU but still voted 'leave' because they were just f... off  with politics in general and now hope that somebody will comprehense these grants.
It's as easy to say "Make America great again!" without having a plan for it. To say "We'll replace ACA with a much better and cheaper Health Care System" without having a clue how to do it.
And if voters really think about it, they can actually guess if a program is reliable and realistic or not.
You know that the Social Democrats in Germany have a new leader who's also going to run for chancellor vs Angela Merkel in September. Nothing wrong with him, he was the president of the European Parliament before and surely has a lot of political experience. He talks about equal payment, higher pensions and improving our welfare system. Nothing wrong with that, it just annoys me that the same politician has been part of the executive committee of the Social Democrats in Germany for nearly twenty years, was one of those who had cut all of them in previous years and although his party had been in the lead for thirteen years, social responsibility hasn't been an issue for them.
This causes some doubts for me... - at least I don't see him as a saint and somebody who will save the poor people.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 26 Mar 2017, 18:42

PAN,
why do you think that the EU is just 40 years old?
They just celebrated the signing of the Treaty of Rome 60 years ago, and the first steps were done in 1952 with the foundation of the European Coal and Steel Community. What happened at the end of the 1970s?
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 26 Mar 2017, 18:45

LizzyNY wrote:Carolhathaway - If Trump were a more moderate, mainstream politician he might get the support of the majority of the Republicans in Congress. But, thanks to Steve Bannon, he is too far-right wing for most of them. They want to get re-elected and they see that backing Trump - especially on this health care bill - would hurt their chances with their constituents.
... which in the end helps the Americans, so there is a sort of conscience for many of them, irrelevant why they decided not to support this law.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 26 Mar 2017, 19:50

You're right, Carol, but it's still an incredibly young alliance.

A lot of Brits believe that it was the original concept i e as a trading alliance was the one we signed up to - and many resent the endless beuracracy that has ramped up as time as gone on. I have been in meetings with EU ministers who say, in effect, that you have to think of the EU as a tanker rather than a yacht.

Nothing will happen quickly because 27 countries have to agree....and just getting the diaries of the decision makers sorted out takes time!

And the perception by some, all over Europe actually, is the amounts of money involved at the top.....

For instance, when you have a former leader of the Labour party here, and his wife and his son, all of whom came from the Welsh valleys and mining districts then furthering their political careers in Brussels for years, then telling people who still live in those same areas with no jobs to vote remain, those people would think that they're so far removed from reality of their own lives, it would be the last thing they'd do!  

And now in the States, much of what is being planned by Trump is for the rich and the pharma corporations to get even richer on the backs of those who could least afford to pay for their health..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 26 Mar 2017, 20:32

More actual facts on the ACA:

https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/846067846253764608

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 26 Mar 2017, 21:59

PAN,
I think we all agree that every M.P. soon gets out of touch. I know our local M.P. for our federal parliament, he's a policeman but is in parliament for more than twenty years. So internal security is one of his main topics - but is based on his working experience from the 1980s and 1990s, and our local policemen don't agree with everything he says since it's just old-fashioned.

And don't forget the fine line  as an M.P. between supporting your electoral district and being corrupt. One of our three M.P.s in Berlin is our former Vice Chancellor and now Secretary of State. He once talked in an interview about the problem of supporting local businesses and industries - which is part of what he was elected for - and being called off because he could privilege a certain area. So it gets more difficult as you get more well-known.
Not easy, I guess.
He started as a teacher, by the way, but the only time he saw a school during the last 30 years, was when he visited his old school.

M.P.s also specialize in certain issues but also have to participate in votings they know nothing about. So they have to rely on others who have specialized in this issue. Which doesn't mean that you can't learn anything new (our defense secretary is a gynecologist and mother of seven children). But you certainly can't be an expert in every issue...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 27 Mar 2017, 21:52

Is it breaking news that the president spent the weekend'working at the White House'?

Yes, when you're Fox News - and especially when it's not true...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/03/27/fox-news-said-trump-spent-the-weekend-working
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 27 Mar 2017, 21:56

I found the above article when looking for something about Kushner's new job. Doesn't it sound familiar to hear stories about politicians finding new jobs for family members?
I remember that mostly from autocratic countries - and from about all presidential candidates in France...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 Mar 2017, 23:05

This man is genius...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqVW4etYo0

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 27 Mar 2017, 23:36

party animal - not! wrote:This man is genius...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqVW4etYo0
Thanks, PAN. He seemed to have  lot more to say. I don't know what got into Bill Maher, but if he wasn't going to let the man speak he shouldn't have had him on the show. Really irritating! I guess I'll have to get the book.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 27 Mar 2017, 23:46

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/03/27/fox-news-said-trump-spent-the-weekend-working-at-the-white-house-he-was-at-his-golf-club/?utm_term=.4bc7c70a7a88

The Fix
[size=56]Fox News said Trump spent the weekend ‘working at the White House.’ He was at his golf club.

[/size]

By Amy B Wang [size=14]March 27 at 12:49 PM 

Trump used to criticize Obama for golfing. Then he became a president who golfs, too.

Embed  Share 
Play Video1:12

President Trump criticized former president Barack Obama for golfing too often. Now the White House is defending his own frequent outings.(Thomas Johnson/The Washington Post)

The alert from Fox News went out at 5:30 p.m. Sunday.

“PRESIDENT TRUMP SPENDING WEEKEND WORKING AT THE WHITE HOUSE,” the chyron announced, under an image of the White House presumably captured just minutes before.

The timing of the tweet alert was curious: After all, the weekend was nearly over.

“[T]his is like when you start to do your homework when you hear the garage door opening,” one Twitter user noted.

And, as it turned out, the announcement wasn't entirely true.

[ltr]
View image on Twitter
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 C739rYXVMAEgf6N

[/ltr]
[/size]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 HHnFe4Sx_normalFox News 

@FoxNews
[ltr]News Alert: @POTUS spending weekend working at the White House.[/ltr]
5:30 PM - 26 Mar 2017

•  

•  2,5842,584 Retweets

•  6,5876,587 likes

[size]

According to pool reports, the president spent Saturday visiting the Trump National Golf Club in Potomac Falls, Va., just outside Washington.

Trump arrived at the golf club at 11:01 a.m. Saturday, wearing a suit, a white shirt with no tie and a red hat with “USA” emblazoned on the front, a pool reporter noted. Though the traveling press pool asked multiple times about the president's activities, Trump's team did not provide answers, the report stated.

The press pool was told that Trump had “meetings” at the golf club. The presidential motorcade returned to the White House shortly after 4 p.m. Saturday, the pool report said.

By then, pictures had emerged on social media of Trump riding a golf cart and dressed in golf attire, still wearing a red hat, at Trump National Golf Club.

[/size]
25 Mar
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 GangpxUe_normalBradd Jaffy 

✔ @BraddJaffy
[ltr]Trump left his golf club after 4 ½ hours, about the amount of time it takes to play a round of golf. Pool was told “meetings,” no more info. https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/845654354308812801 …[/ltr]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 Jwd1HHh3_normalAlex Marshall @a_r_marshall
[ltr]@BraddJaffy just saw this on IG: pic.twitter.com/96kIwnAFHS[/ltr]
4:03 PM - 25 Mar 2017

The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 C7yg-NEUwAA1OVnThe Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 C7yg-NDV4AAogEBThe Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 C7yg-NEVsAAMugF

•  

•  854854 Retweets

•  1,1371,137 likes

[size]

The Instagram user who had posted three of those pictures later appeared to make his account private.

According to pool reports, about 9 p.m. Saturday, Trump visited the Trump International Hotel in Washington to have dinner, though once again reporters were not told with whom he would be dining. Photographs of Trump with son-in-law Jared Kushner and daughter Ivanka Trump at a hotel restaurant later emerged.

On Sunday morning, Trump once again returned to the Trump National Golf Club in Virginia, arriving at 11:04 a.m. A half-hour later, reporters were informed that the president was “wrapping up last of three meetings shortly,” a pool report stated. The motorcade arrived back at the White House at 12:36 p.m. Sunday.

An Instagram post from another user showed Trump appearing to watch the Golf Channel with two unidentified people on Sunday.

Trump's official schedule as released by the White House before the weekend simply said the president had “no public events scheduled” Saturday and listed “in-town travel pool call time” for both Saturday and Sunday. As yet, there have been no official announcements about who was included in the three meetings mentioned Sunday.

Neither the White House nor a Fox News spokeswoman responded to requests for comment Monday morning.

On social media, responses to Fox's urgent-sounding news alert were relentless. The tweet was roundly mocked online for its timing — and for the fact it wasn't true.

[/size]

Follow
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 JivDlIVh_normaleve peyser 

@evepeyser
[ltr]News Alert: President Does His Job, Maybe https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/846112245797007360 …[/ltr]
6:18 PM - 26 Mar 2017

•  

•  114114 Retweets

•  386386 likes

Follow
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 HKRmLXgU_normalSpencer Althouse 

@SpencerAlthouse
[ltr]"don't applaud a fish for swimming" https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/846112245797007360 …[/ltr]
6:56 PM - 26 Mar 2017

•  

•  462462 Retweets

•  1,5521,552 likes

Follow
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 QVZiEUIV_normalLydia Polgreen 

@lpolgreen
[ltr]BREAKING NEWS. President does his job at his taxpayer provided place of work. https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/846112245797007360 …[/ltr]
6:20 PM - 26 Mar 2017

•  

•  524524 Retweets

•  1,4411,441 likes

Follow
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 H0dOjMow_normalSulome Anderson 

@SulomeAnderson
[ltr]when "President of the United States Does His Job" is an impossible scoop https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/846112245797007360 …[/ltr]
10:54 PM - 26 Mar 2017 · Queens, NY

•  

•  55 Retweets

•  3535 likes

[size]

Trump repeatedly criticized President Barack Obama for hitting the links and boasted on the campaign trail that he would work nearly nonstop if elected.

“I would rarely leave the White House because there’s so much work to be done,” Trump told the Hill in June 2015. “I would not be a president who took vacations. I would not be a president that takes time off.”

It was a promise he made over and over again — until Election Day.

5-Minute Fix newsletter
Keeping up with politics is easy now.
[/size]
[size]

“Hey, look, it’s good. Golf is fine,” Trump said in November. “But always play with leaders of countries and people that can help us! Don’t play with your friends all the time.”

This weekend marked Trump's 13th and 14th visits to a golf course since becoming president, according to The Washington Post's Philip Bump. In addition, Bump broke down Trump's schedule since the inauguration, showing that for nearly 1 out of every 3 days Trump has been president, he has visited a Trump-branded property.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer has defended Trump's visits to his golf courses, saying that the president does not necessarily play golf every time.

“Just because you go somewhere doesn’t necessarily mean you did it,” Spicer told reporters last week. “So, on a couple of occasions, he’s actually conducted meetings there, he’s actually had phone calls. So, just because he heads there, it doesn’t mean that that’s what’s happening.”

Read more:

Donald Trump’s golfing is a political problem thanks to Donald Trump

Trump family’s elaborate lifestyle is a ‘logistical nightmare’ — at taxpayer expense

Sean Spicer wants you to know that Trump’s golfing is strategic and/or not happening
[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Mar 2017, 01:44

It seems that any time Trump has ventured outside the White House he heads to a Trump affiliated property. He hasn't even been to dinner at any Washington restaurant while he's been here. The Obamas made it a habit of going to D.C. restaurants which was good for D.C. businesses. Trump is so transparent. Such a selfish and greedy man who is aggrandizing his own business wealth.

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 28 Mar 2017, 06:57

This guy on Bill Maher's show was really good, but Maher himself tried to interrupt him several times. Quite annoying IMO.

But the message is clear:
Resist the beginnings!
Continue to question!
Protect institutions!

And I've just told my husband the other day that I hope no attack in the States will happen (apart from the 'normal' attacks like in the last few days) which may be claimed by ISIS (like the recent London attack where the police sees no connection to ISIS). Since it seems to be their policy to claim every attack no other terror group claims).
You just need to watch what Erdogan did in Turkey after the putsch.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Mar 2017, 11:28

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4355300/Donald-Trump-calls-Bill-Hillary-investigated.html

Donald Trump calls for the Clintons to be investigated by House intelligence committee for THEIR Russian connections and hits out at Republicans for killing healthcare bill in late night tweet storm 

• The president fired off a series of tweets shortly before 10pm on Monday night 

• 'Why isn't the House Intelligence Committee looking into the Bill & Hillary deal that allowed big Uranium to go to Russia?' Trump wrote in the first message 

• He followed that up by again dismissing allegations linking his team to Russia  

Donald Trump has launched another attack on Hillary Clinton - questioning why she and Bill Clinton are not under investigation from the House Intelligence Committee.
'Why isn't the House Intelligence Committee looking into the Bill & Hillary deal that allowed big Uranium to go to Russia, Russian speech...,' the president tweeted on Monday night, before finishing his thought with a second post.
'...money to Bill, the Hillary Russian "reset," praise of Russia by Hillary, or Podesta Russian Company. Trump Russia story is a hoax.'
Trump seemed to be referring to a falsehood he often uttered on the campaign trail, where he claimed Clinton, 'gave up 20 per cent of America's uranium supply to Russia'.
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EB0078200000578-0-image-a-45_1490667236290

+8
Donald Trump has launched another attack on Hillary Clinton - questioning why she and Bill Clinton are not under investigation from the House Intelligence Committee
'You know what people do with uranium, don’t you? It’s called nuclear. Twenty per cent. They could have never done it without her,' Trump told his people at a Wisconsin rally on September 28.
However, Trump's statement was discredited by a number of fact-checking outlets, including Politifact.  
The website reported what was sold to Russia was a number of mines, mills and tracts of land in a number of states - including Utah and Wyoming - that 'equate to about 20 per cent of US uranium production capacity', but not physical uranium.
Trump's suggestion that Clinton's State Department approved the sale in order for the Clinton Foundation to benefit financially was deemed false by the fact checkers, as no evidence of a 'quid pro quo' existed.
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EAFA49900000578-0-image-a-46_1490667240098

+8
'Why isn't the House Intelligence Committee looking into the Bill & Hillary deal that allowed big Uranium to go to Russia,' Trump wrote in his first tweet on Monday night
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EB0AA1A00000578-0-image-a-54_1490667288082
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EB0AA3200000578-0-image-a-53_1490667284778
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3E9B925F00000578-0-image-a-50_1490667268104

+8
Hillary Clinton is pictured being greeted by supporters at an event in April last year. Trump's previous statements about her selling '20 per cent of America's uranium to Russia'  have been proven to be incorrect by a number of fact-checking outlets
FactCheck.org and Snopes reached similar conclusions. 
In his storm of activity Monday night, the president also commented on the failed Republican healthcare bill of last week.
'The Republican House Freedom Caucus was able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. After so many bad years they were ready for a win!' he wrote.
'The Democrats will make a deal with me on healthcare as soon as ObamaCare folds - not long. Do not worry, we are in very good shape!' 
The tweets were sent after it emerged earlier on Monday house intelligence chairman Devin Nunes went to the White House to review intelligence reports and meet the secret source behind his claim that communications involving Trump associates were caught up in 'incidental' surveillance.
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EAFD36500000578-0-image-a-51_1490667275761

+8
Donald Trump sits with House Speaker Paul Ryan during a meeting of Congressional Republicans in Washington DC on Monday
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EB0AA7A00000578-0-image-a-52_1490667280211
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EB0C91300000578-0-image-a-60_1490667443643
Trump continued in his tweets to begin talking about the failed Republican healthcare submission last week 
The revelation prompted DC's top Democrat on the committee to call on Nunes to recuse himself from the committee's Russia probe.
Rep. Adam Schiff said Nunes' connections to the White House have raised insurmountable public doubts about whether the committee could credibly investigate the president's campaign associates.
'I believe the public cannot have the necessary confidence that matters involving the president's campaign or transition team can be objectively investigated or overseen by the chairman,' Schiff said in a statement.
Nunes confirmed Monday that he met with the source at the White House complex, but he denied coordinating with the president's aides.

[size=10][size=18]Controversy over Nunes' investigation into Trump's wiretap claims

[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EAF3E8A00000578-0-ALL_CLEAR_White_House_press_secretary_Sean_Spicer_said_House_Int-a-55_1490667304046

+8
White House press secretary Sean Spicer said House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., is 'cleared' to get classified information, and that the White House did not leak anything to him
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EAA2E3500000578-0-House_Intelligence_Committee_Chairman_Rep_Devin_Nunes_R_CA_was_a-a-56_1490667308138

+8
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) was at the White House the day before he cited new information about 'unmasking' of Americans at Trump Tower
After reviewing the information last week, Nunes called a news conference to announce that U.S. spy agencies may have inadvertently captured Trump and his associates in routine targeting of foreigners' communications. Trump quickly seized on the statements as at least partial vindication for his assertion that President Barack Obama tapped his phones at Trump Tower - though Nunes, Schiff and FBI Director James Comey have said there is no such evidence.
The Senate intelligence committee is also conducting an investigation into Russia's interference in the election and possible ties with the Trump campaign. On Monday, it announced that Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, has agreed to be interviewed. The White House confirmed that Kushner, a senior Trump adviser, had volunteered to be interviewed about arranging meetings with the Russian ambassador and other officials.
Kushner is the fourth Trump associate to offer to be interviewed by the congressional committees looking into the murky Russia ties. Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, Trump adviser Carter Page and Trump associate Roger Stone last week volunteered to speak as well.
'Mr. Kushner will certainly not be the last person the committee calls to give testimony, but we expect him to be able to provide answers to key questions that have arisen in our inquiry,' the chairman, Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina, and the top Democrat, Mark Warner of Virginia, said in a joint statement Monday in a sign of bipartisanship.
The House investigation, meanwhile, has been plagued with partisan divisions under Nunes' leadership.
The chairman did not tell top Democrat on the committee about the meeting at the White House complex. It is highly unusual for a committee chairman and ranking member not to coordinate meetings related to an investigation.
''I think the chairman has to make a decision whether to act as a surrogate of the White House - as he did during the campaign and the transition - or to lead an independent and credible investigation,' Schiff said Sunday on CBS' 'Face the Nation.'
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EAA2E2D00000578-0-IT_TAKES_TWO_Intelligence_panel_vice_chair_Rep_Adam_Schiff_D_CA_-a-57_1490667315716

+8
Intelligence panel vice chair Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) and chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) wait for the start of a House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence hearing concerning Russian meddling in the 2016 United States election
The Serious Side - part 3 - Page 4 3EAF3E9200000578-0-PLEASE_COME_AGAIN_House_Intelligence_Committee_Chairman_Devin_Nu-a-58_1490667326646

+8
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) walks out of the West Wing after a meeting at the White House March 22, 2017
Nunes argued he had to review classified, executive branch documents from a secure facility at the White House because the reports had not been provided to Congress and could not be transported to the secure facilities used by the House intelligence committee.
'Because of classification rules, the source could not simply put the documents in a backpack and walk them over to the House Intelligence committee space,' Nunes spokesman Jack Langer said. 'The White House grounds was the best location to safeguard the proper chain of custody and classification of these documents, so the chairman could view them in a legal way.'
Nunes would not name the source of the information, nor would he disclose who invited him on the White House grounds for the meeting. In addition to the White House itself, the grounds include an adjacent building with offices for National Security Council and other executive branch employees.
Nunes described the source as intelligence official, not a White House official. In an interview on CNN, he suggested the president's aides were unaware of the meeting.
White House spokesman Sean Spicer would not comment on whether White House officials were involved with Nunes.
'I'm not going to get into who he met with or why he met with them,' Spicer said.
The clandestine meeting was remarkable for a committee that seeks to demonstrate bipartisanship, said Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University who has written extensively about separation of powers.
'Ideally, any meeting at the White House on a subject under investigation would have been done with the knowledge of the ranking member or his staff,' Turley said. 'Because these committees are the least transparent in Congress, both parties have historically tried to be open with each other on contacts or meetings with agencies on key questions.'
The disclosure renewed calls for an independent committee to investigate the Russia ties.
Indeed, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer called on House Speaker Paul Ryan to replace Nunes as chairman of the intelligence committee.
'He has not been operating like someone who is interested in getting to the unvarnished truth. His actions look like those of someone who is interested in protecting the president and his party,' Schumer said.
House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said, 'Chairman Nunes' discredited behavior has tarnished that office,' and said Ryan should insist that Nunes 'at least recuse himself' from the Russia probe.
AshLee Strong, a spokeswoman for Ryan, said Monday the speaker has 'full confidence that Chairman Nunes is conducting a thorough, fair and credible investigation.'
When Nunes disclosed the intelligence reports last week, he said what he reviewed had nothing to do with Russia, which could suggest that Trump associates were in touch with other foreign targets of U.S. intelligence surveillance in November, December or January.
'The chairman is extremely concerned by the possible improper unmasking of names of U.S. citizens, and he began looking into this issue even before President Trump tweeted his assertion that Trump Tower had been wiretapped,' Langer said.
It is unclear exactly what documents Nunes reviewed.
Nunes and Schiff have asked the FBI, CIA and National Security Agency for the names of officials who were cited in intelligence reports. The committee has said it is getting some of what it requested, but has not received everything.
 Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Mar 2017, 14:31

Bringing up the Clintons again is just Trump's way of distracting. It's lowly and despicable on his part. How low can he go? Trump doesn't see that he has done anything wrong. But smart and informed people see a guilty man trying to distract from his lawless actions.

The more I read about Nunes' actions the more I think this whole scenario was set up by the White House to interfere with the House's investigation. Just today the House Intel Committee has cancelled the remainder of its meetings this week.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 28 Mar 2017, 14:50

Donnamarie -Totally agree that he's trying hard to distract attention from himself. Makes me think someone's getting too close to something he really wants to keep hidden. I hope they keep going until they find what they need to run him out of office.

PS - If it makes anyone feel better, my friend knows a psychic who says Trump won't last  through the summer.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Mar 2017, 15:10

Lizzy between the psychic and the American University professor who predicted Trump would win the election (he has predicted correctly past presidential elections for years) but also predicted that he would be impeached, there remains a glimmer of hope.

(Sorry for the run on sentence). In a hurry ..
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next