George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
“Suburbicon” test screening reactions EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

“Suburbicon” test screening reactions

+7
Way2Old4Dis
Donnamarie
What Would He Say
LizzyNY
moniquevander
fava
Sevens
11 posters

Go down

“Suburbicon” test screening reactions Empty “Suburbicon” test screening reactions

Post by Sevens Wed 08 Mar 2017, 13:01

There was a test screening of Suburbicon in LA Tuesday night. I've PMed one of the posters on AwardsWatch forum about his/her thoughts, and here's the reactions(a bit spoiler-y).
Spoiler:

The original thread where the poster mentioned about the screening last week: 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

“Suburbicon” test screening reactions Empty Re: “Suburbicon” test screening reactions

Post by fava Wed 08 Mar 2017, 19:50

Someone on the thread said there may be  a non-disclosure agreement?  Is this typical for screenings?  Plus the emoji seems to be vomiting-- not a good sign.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

“Suburbicon” test screening reactions Empty Re: “Suburbicon” test screening reactions

Post by moniquevander Wed 08 Mar 2017, 21:24

The emoji is drooling, not vomiting

moniquevander
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 08 Mar 2017, 22:22

Way2Old would probably know if non-disclosure agreements are common. It wouldn't surprise me if they had one for this movie if leaks could spoil the viewing experience for the audience - unless they're still editing and don't have a final cut yet. Why sit through a movie if someone tells you the whole plot in advance?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Wed 08 Mar 2017, 23:00

moniquevander wrote:The emoji is drooling, not vomiting
Shows that I am emoji illiterate!

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Wed 08 Mar 2017, 23:08

It must be hard to watch a movie without the score....score adds so much.....given that, it all look pretty good.....

Possibly chasing oscars or nominations is a soulless endeavour.....Hollywood should learn to love the story not the nod.....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 08 Mar 2017, 23:20

LizzyNY wrote:Way2Old would probably know if non-disclosure agreements are common. It wouldn't surprise me if they had one for this movie if leaks could spoil the viewing experience for the audience - unless they're still editing and don't have a final cut yet. Why sit through a movie if someone tells you the whole plot in advance?
Lizzy the version they screened wasn't a finished version but all you need to know is he/she ENJOYED the movie and thinks it's George's second-best movie! Get ready for the awards season!
Some spoiler-free comments from the poster:

Originally Posted by sevens
Hi,
I'm writing to ask you about Suburbicon screening.
Could you share how you feel about the movie? The tone more Coen or Clooney? And does Oscar Issac play a major supporting role?

Thank you.

Overall, I enjoyed this. This was a rough cut. Coloring wasn't done, the editing wasn't final, and the score wasnt yet in place, so they used a temp generic track. The story is interesting. It's a dark comedy/crime thriller set in the 50s in what is supposed to be a sort of suburban utopia where nothing bad happens. Then suddenly a black family moves to the neighborhood, and the town instantly speaks out that they moved here to get away from black people and other minorities because they bring trouble. Meanwhile, at the Lodge household of Damon and Moore's characters, they are held up by two white criminals who end up killing one of the family members. From then on, the film becomes a social commentary and dark comedy, with the central plot focusing on the Lodge family, and the subplot focusing on how horrible the town starts treating the black family ...SPOILER PARTS...
There are aspects to this story that I really liked, but some parts are a little too on the nose, and others could've really been explored even further. The tone throughout is pretty consistent once the film gets going, which is pretty immediate as the murder takes place within the first 15 minutes (it's kind of abrupt, but it gets expanded upon as the story progresses). The story is mostly from the perspective of the young boy in the film, who befriends the young black boy from the new family. Their friendship is like the moral center of the film.

Performances: Damon is the lead actor, and he hasn't been this good in a long time. He matches the tone perfectly, getting some comedic moments, and also showing a darker side that he hasn't had to go to since 'The Talented Mr. Ripley'. I really, really liked him here. Okay, this is gonna be slightly spoiler-y, but I have to in order to explain Moore's performance:
Spoiler:
From then on, Moore portrays the aunt who is this sort of Stepford-esque idyllic 50s housewife, somewhat ditzy, but with some rough edges. Moore nails it, especially near the end when she shares some scenes with Oscar Isaac. And speaking of Oscar Isaac, his role is very small- literally two scenes. But holy shit, he steals the movie. He plays the insurance claims adjuster, and he is hilarious, charming, and absolutely lights up the film. I wish he were in it more. He's so good, that even with such small screen time I can see him building momentum and maybe making a Best Supporting Actor play. The rest of the cast is solid, though it should be noted that both Woody Harrelson and Josh Brolin were listed in the cast at one time on IMDB, and neither are in the film.

Final thoughts: solid film with a good screenplay and solid direction from Clooney that balances the tone fairly well. The cast (Damon, Moore, and Isaac) are terrific, and I think all three could be awards players (at the very least with the Globes).
Me replying:
Thanks A LOT!
For your information, Woody dropped out as the uncle role and Brolin was supposed to play the baseball coach role, not sure if they cut him out.
Last a few questions: Did you enjoy any Clooney-directed films before and how could this one rank among the others? Is the cinematography any good? And is the boy lead's performance a weak spot of the film?
Thanks again. Really appreciate the info.

Ah, ok. I would've liked to see Woody as the uncle. It's a small role, and the actor who plays him is adequate, but Woody could've given it more. There's no coach in the film, so I guess that was cut entirely.

As for Clooney's films, I really liked 'Good Night, and Good Luck' a lot, and I liked 'The Ides of March'. I think this is better than 'Ides', not as good as 'Good Night' (but LOADS better than 'Leatherheads' and 'Monuments Men', woof).

The kid is fine. He does a solid job in some scenes (especially near the end), but he isn't going to be anyone' standout. He carries his own though.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 08 Mar 2017, 23:26

fava wrote:Someone on the thread said there may be  a non-disclosure agreement?  Is this typical for screenings?  Plus the emoji seems to be vomiting-- not a good sign.
The film is GOOD! NDA is pretty common for any test screenings as they're still finishing the movie...
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 08 Mar 2017, 23:33

Another comment more conservative on the awards season chances, though confirming its quality:
Today, 01:14 AM
luke662
Re: Hi, Suburbicon
Hi there,
I'm writing to ask about Suburbicon screening.
Did u enjoy the film and how's the cast/direction played out? Any chances in the awards season? Is this any better or worse than some other Clooney-directed films?
Thanks.
It's quite good I thought. Basically Clooney aping the Coens but he plays the black comedy more straightfacedly than they would've. Characters are never in on the jokes. A fun, tense little black comedy caper with good performances. However, I don't think it's an Oscar thing. Maybe screenplay if the box office is really good, but I can't see any acting nominations. Moore is expectedly good but will probably contend more for wonderstruck, same with Damon for downsizing. Isaac would definitely be a strong contender if he had more than two scenes.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 08 Mar 2017, 23:55

Sevens, great work on your part. Thanks for the peek into the rough cut.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 09 Mar 2017, 06:15

The release date could be set fairly soon:
I heard he told someone else nothing set yet and that it depends on reaction from tonight on release date the studio will set.
Paramount is probably figuring out their 2017/2018 release schedule this week- Death Wish remake, the Clooney movie and Annihilation are all Paramount films that tested this week.
This "he" refers to the director of another Paramount film being tested today. George's Suburbicon should be in similar position.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:05

There's a positive review rated this 8 out of 10 on Letterboxd.
Short comment:
Watched by Adam Rolseth 07 Mar, 2017 1
"Just another Sunday in Suburbicon."
Clooney + Coens = Absolute BLISS.

Embargoed.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 09 Mar 2017, 14:56

Sevens wrote:There's a positive review rated this 8 out of 10 on Letterboxd.
Short comment:
Watched by Adam Rolseth 07 Mar, 2017 1
"Just another Sunday in Suburbicon."
Clooney + Coens = Absolute BLISS.

Embargoed.
Link corrected:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 10 Mar 2017, 14:23

I'll just add my $.02, since the question has already been answered.

Yes, everybody signs a non-disclosure agreement for a test screening. As you can see, with a general audience, they don't mean much. And everybody knows that. In fact, the studios/distributors/production companies count on it. For a movie that's considered good to excellent, but that might have a problem finding a wide audience, these "screenings" can build buzz. These guys are already saying, "I saw the rough cut and it was good even at that stage."

For a screening that, for instance, tests one ending against another, the power people get a little more aggressive about ID'ing the audience and following up on blog  and Facebook posts etc.

And if you're a studio/distributor/prodco employee or consultant and you violate the NDA -- these rough-cut screenings are usually for the movies that need fixing -- you're out on your ass, with a reputation as someone who can't be trusted.

That's about two cents, rounding up. Keep the change.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 10 Mar 2017, 14:57

Way2Old - Do you think they screened the movie to build buzz or because it needs fixing? From what Sevens posted people seemed to like it.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 10 Mar 2017, 15:15

I think everyone involved recognizes that the movie could be a hit and they want to start building the audience. None of the filmmakers (nor Damon, after The Great Wall) involved in this can afford to have people talking about another so-so movie of theirs, and I think they're confident in this one. Otherwise, nobody outside of the creative crew would be seeing it at this point.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 10 Mar 2017, 15:20

Thanks. Fingers crossed that you're right because I know you're right about none of them needing another mediocre movie on their resumes.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 10 Mar 2017, 15:37

As long as Paramount was satisfied with what they saw and collected from the testing audience, they would set a release date in fall and we will be ready for a busy awards season with much Clooney twins talk! YAY! A great year both in personal life and career for our man.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 10 Mar 2017, 16:10

UPDATE:
Me asking:
Thanks.
Did you think the production design/cinematography was good?And how long was the rough cut you saw?
Both were good, especially the cinematography. Could get a nom. The cut wasn't very long at all, about 1hr 40min
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 12 Mar 2017, 14:31

Yeah, I'm convinced that this was a "We've got good one. Spread the word." screening. And good for them. Doesn't sound like they were looking for a reaction to a particular element so they could make a fix, though I'm sure they weighed any repeated/consistent comments.

This may be a Coen Bros project that I see without an "I guess I'll go" sigh.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 12 Mar 2017, 14:47

Way2Old - Maybe think of it as a "George Clooney" project instead. After all, he did add his own take to the script and he did direct it. Maybe think of it as his adaptation of a Coen brothers' work?  You know you want to see this one with a Smile .
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sun 12 Mar 2017, 15:19

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Yeah, I'm convinced that this was a "We've got good one. Spread the word." screening. And good for them. Doesn't sound like they were looking for a reaction to a particular element so they could make a fix, though I'm sure they weighed any repeated/consistent comments.

This may be a Coen Bros project that I see without an "I guess I'll go" sigh.
Actually they haven't done the coloring and music at this stage. So it's reasonable the final product could be better.
I know Way2 you're not a Coen fan, perhaps this "Clooney's take on Coens stuff" would change your mind more or less.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 13 Mar 2017, 18:22

Thanks ladies for the information regarding Surbicon.

I like the teaming up of George and Matt.
I wish they'd make a film together as Actors.
That's my innocent fan talking. Lol.

I know nothing about production or background 
film stuff.  Hello!
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 14 Mar 2017, 08:43

Sevens wrote:Another comment more conservative on the awards season chances, though confirming its quality:
Today, 01:14 AM
luke662
Re: Hi, Suburbicon
Hi there,
I'm writing to ask about Suburbicon screening.
Did u enjoy the film and how's the cast/direction played out? Any chances in the awards season? Is this any better or worse than some other Clooney-directed films?
Thanks.
It's quite good I thought. Basically Clooney aping the Coens but he plays the black comedy more straightfacedly than they would've. Characters are never in on the jokes. A fun, tense little black comedy caper with good performances. However, I don't think it's an Oscar thing. Maybe screenplay if the box office is really good, but I can't see any acting nominations. Moore is expectedly good but will probably contend more for wonderstruck, same with Damon for downsizing. Isaac would definitely be a strong contender if he had more than two scenes.
Picture:
Spoiler:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 14 Mar 2017, 08:48

Also I just got the script from someone on Reddit. PM me your email if you can't help but want to read this. It's an original Coen Bros version dated back in 2007. (Personally I'll hold on to it until watching the film. Very Happy ) God knows if I could resist the lure! Mad
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 15 Mar 2017, 18:25

Oh wow, this sounds like it could be really great. I'm another one who's borderline about Coen films - and Clooney films for that matter. Just hope it's funny rather than worthy.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 16 Mar 2017, 00:55

A tipster for HollywoodElsewhere calling it the Clooney’s best-directed film ever:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 16 Mar 2017, 02:00

2017 Awards Profile: George Clooney’s ‘Suburbicon’ From Paramount Pictures
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 16 Mar 2017, 02:14

[size=36]2017 Awards Profile: George Clooney’s ‘Suburbicon’ From Paramount Pictures[/size]

Award Profile, Featured Post March 15, 2017  Joseph Braverman

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

FILM: “Suburbicon”
PRODUCERS: George Clooney, Joel Silver, Teddy Schwarzman and Grant Heslov
DISTRIBUTOR: Paramount Pictures
DIRECTOR: George Clooney
WRITERS: George Clooney, Joel Coen, Ethan Coen and Grant Heslov
CAST: Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, Oscar Isaac, Glenn Fleshler, Josh Brolin, Megan Ferguson, Noah Jupe and Gary Barsaraba
SYNOPSIS (via IMDB): A crime mystery set in the quiet family town of Suburbicon during the 1950s, where the best and worst of humanity is hilariously reflected through the deeds of seemingly ordinary people. When a home invasion turns deadly, a picture-perfect family turns to blackmail, revenge and betrayal.
WHY IT MIGHT SUCCEED: After finding awards success with “Good Night, and Good Luck” in 2005 and “Argo” in 2012, the Clooney/Heslov partnership is due for a three-peat. Both films were similarly period pieces featuring ensembles of the highest thespian order. With the Coens assisting the producer pair, “Suburbicon” will likely avoid the hokey dialogue pitfalls of “Monuments Men.” Furthermore, the film’s key players in Julianne Moore and Matt Damon will instantly raise the profile of the crime dramedy. Both actors know how to bring their dark comedy A-game, though it remains to be seen how Oscar Isaac fits into the mix. Granted, Isaac’s last team-up with the Coens was the extraordinary “Inside Llewyn Davis,” so he shouldn’t be an awkward fit.
What surges this movie to the top of upcoming awards contenders is its familial thematic roots. For the past several telecasts, there has always been at least one dysfunctional family drama and/or comedy in the mix. “Little Miss Sunshine,” “Room,” “Silver Linings Playbook,” “Manchester by the Sea,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “Boyhood,” and “The Descendants” all went the distance. Heslov and Clooney are surely going to pry the facade of suburban family “normalcy” wide open for dark exposure. So long as the film’s narrative is as riveting as the actors navigating it, “Suburbicon” should be a Coen-esque delight.
WHY IT MIGHT NOT SUCCEED: Of Clooney’s previous five directorial efforts, only one was a “Best Picture” nominee (“Good Night, and Good Luck”). His batting average hasn’t matched his stature and respect among his peers, primarily due to critical derailment. Despite being a sleeper hit, “Monuments Men” was pummeled with negative reviews, prompting Clooney to apologize for his WWII caper. The pressure is on for “Suburbicon” to erase the negative taste of “Monuments Men” and remind viewers of Clooney’s directorial capabilities. One major concern is Clooney and Heslov insisting on co-writing with the Coens. If the film proves disastrous, critics will first point to the “too many cooks in the kitchen” red flag. Finally, when it comes to dialogue, no one should be supervising the Coens.
Given the comedic layering of this story, the concern is that “Suburbicon” might lack real period insight or substance. After coming off one of the most serious subject matter “Best Picture” lineups ever, it’s hard to imagine something as trivial as “Suburbicon” making waves deep in the year. The film strikes me as more “Big Lebowski” or “Burn After Reading” than “Fargo” or “No Country for Old Men.” The aforementioned Coen films are brilliant, but the latter two clearly meet a certain prestige criteria necessary for Oscars. The film’s biggest hurdle is overcoming its genre trappings, and no amount of star charm can override trivial content.
POTENTIAL OSCAR CATEGORIES IN PLAY:

• Motion Picture — George Clooney, Joel Silver, Teddy Schwarzman and Grant Heslov
  • Director — George Clooney
  • Actor in a Leading Role — Matt Damon
  • Actress in a Leading Role — Julianne Moore
  • Actor in a Supporting Role — Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin
  • Original Screenplay — George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
  • Production Design — James D. Bissell
  • Cinematography — Robert Elswit
  • Costume Design — Jenny Eagan
  • Film Editing — Stephen Mirrione
  • Original Score — Alexandre Desplat
  • Achievement in Hairstyling and Makeup

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 16 Mar 2017, 02:16

Sevens wrote:A tipster for HollywoodElsewhere calling it the Clooney’s best-directed film ever:
Encouraging Response to Clooney’s Suburbicon

Last week an HE tipster caught a research screening of George Clooney‘s Suburbicon at the Sherman Oaks Arclight, and he says it’s quite good — a dry Fargo-esque noir comedy set in ’50s suburbia. The stars are Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, Oscar Isaac and young Noah Jupe.

He’s actually calling it Clooney’s best-directed film ever…more bell-ringy than The Ides of March, Monuments Men, Good Night and Good Luck, Leatherheads and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Paramount will presumably release Suburbicon sometime this fall.

Put another way, this guy has seen four unreleased films over the past few weeks (the other three were Trey Edward Shults‘ It Comes At Night, Jason Reitman‘s Tully and Destin Daniel Cretton‘s The Glass Castle), and he says Suburbicon is the best of the lot.
Suburbicon was shot in the Los Angeles area last October and November.
Joel and Ethan Coen‘s mid ’80s script was reworked by Clooney and Grant Heslov — they all share an even-steven “written by” credit (presumably pre-WGA review).

The other film Suburbicon resembles besides Fargo, he says, is Martin McDonagh‘s unreleased Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Fox Searchlight, sometime in the fall).

I’ll skip over the plot particulars, but it involves deceit, murder and hired hitmen a la Fargo with a pinch or two of Double Indemnity. Speaking of that 1944 Billy Wilder film, Oscar Isaac, portraying an insurance investigator, has a great interrogation scene towards the end in the tradition of Edward G. Robinson‘s Barton Keyes character.

Suburbicon‘s hired bad guys are vaguely similar to Fargo‘s Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare — i.e., a skinny guy and a bruiser type.

The only head-scratcher in the guy’s account is that reported Suburbicon costar Josh Brolin doesn’t appear in the film…”Not a single frame,” he says.

The only thing I don’t like is the name Suburbicon, which no self-respecting, Eisenhower-era town would ever call itself. It sounds Orwellian, like some kind of corporate nightmare community dreamt up by Fritz Lang or Orson Welles.

In 2018 Suburbicon will be co-billed with Herbert L. Strock‘s Gog at the New Beverly.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 16 Mar 2017, 04:59

Famous entertainment reporter Jeff Sneider also confirmed this news and praised it could be George's best.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 16 Mar 2017, 11:46

melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down