George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker?

+6
Donnamarie
PigPen
LizzyNY
Sevens
annemarie
Way2Old4Dis
10 posters

Go down

How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? Empty Re: How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker?

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 28 Feb 2017, 14:39

fava wrote:Way2, gotta agree they are way less interesting.

I think George thinks being with Amal makes him a better man. And yay for that. But what I think he has lost is being a better filmmaker, which is one thing that elevates him above most. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. But he seems to be stuck in a phase where he thinks they are.

Plus, they seem to have replaced the times with friends with times with Alamuddin (sp?) hangers-on, and it's not the same.

Personally, I don't care anything about Amal, except that she married a person that I admire to the heavens.

But I guess they have to go through the 'we are better as a couple than we were as individuals' thing. And soon, all of their conversations will be about the quality and frequency of baby poop. *sigh*

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? Empty Re: How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker?

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 14:51

I don't see hangers on I see Amals family more often with them. Nothing wrong with that George is just as close to his family.

The difference being they live far away from each other. George still sees his friends we just don't know how often, Cindy said they

enjoy hanging out at home together as friends do. He said himself he was at dinner with eight of the guys so he does see his friends George would
never let his friends go he has too much love and respect for them that will never change.

I think baby poop will be a much happier subject than the ills of the world. I don't think either will give up their causes it is what they both

love.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 28 Feb 2017, 15:09

His friends all have normal family and are close to their family, spending much more time with their families than being with George.
Family above friends in the end, nothing wrong with that, it's their blood, it's their children.
If any major artist, movie star and filmmaker can't manage both their family and career, can't even make good movies without getting divorced or having broken, disturbing relationships, it's Hollywood's sadness more or less.
George will make good movies in the end, or he's already retired and to start working as Amal's assistant. He's got the talent as a filmmaker, and I firmly believe having two children and a wife will provide a new perspective on his filmmaking in a good way.

Last edited by Sevens on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 15:48; edited 2 times in total
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 28 Feb 2017, 15:11

Way2Old - You may be right about the baby-poop phase, but I don't think it will last long - especially for her. I think she'll be champing at the bit to get back to work - and so will he. His friends have said he's always "on", always working. Matt said recently that George hardly sleeps. How can a man so compelled to always being busy do a fast 180 and become a stay-at-home dad?

I don't think he can. I think a few months of nesting and he'll be bored silly. I don't think he'll be back in front of the camera much, but he will get back to work. Maybe dealing with the changes in his life will give him insights that will add depth to his work.

annemarie - IMO they bought the Sonning house to accommodate her - so she could be close to her family and her job. Living far away from each other does not strengthen relationships, it strains them. George may still see his friends and family on the infrequent occasions when he's in the US, but it isn't the same as living nearby and getting together whenever you feel like it. I'd lay odds the kids will be raised in the UK, too.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 15:26

I do agree separation is not good for a relationship. 

To be fair we don't know how often they are In the U.S they are  out of view most of the time.

George's friends also travel to visit him which we we sometimes hear about after the fact.

As for family Amal stated they visit Kentucky as often as they can.

They do things quietly so we really have no idea how often they see other people in their lives.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Tue 28 Feb 2017, 15:29

Amal will be raising George in the UK too!!! hehehehehe

Bet he seldom sees US from here on end.  I don't care how much property he buys here.  Nothing more than a tax shelter , now!

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 28 Feb 2017, 15:30

I can't see either of them staying at home full-time, either. But I'm saying that George will have gone from being unique to being Joe Schmuckatelli in the course of the engagement to marriage to babies.

I can get this kind of stuff from my nephews.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 15:36

So he is supposed to be unique ? I think he is a wonderful actor a kind generous and very caring man.

Those things make him unique in a world where a lot of men could care less.

Him changing girlfriends like he changed his socks wasn't unique after awhile it was sad. He just looked desperate

in a lot of peoples eyes. I think him settling down and being a husband and a father is one of the best things that could

have happened to him. We now see a more tender side to him and for me that is wonderful. I think being a dad will

actually make him fight harder and care more about the world his and  Amals children will grow up in.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 16:09

You said it perfectly annemarie. Absolutely agree.

Career wise I think George continues to evolve professionally. He will continue to challenge himself professionally. Having children shouldn't change that. Except as others have said being a father will certainly give him new insight.

Watching the interview that Tulips posted reminded me how he views filmmaking in his own way. He doesn't appreciate making tentpole films. He has stumbled lately with some of his work but I think he definitely has it in himself to stay true to what he believes is quality filmmaking. Whether others see his work as successes or not doesn't seem to worry him as much as letting himself down.

Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 28 Feb 2017, 16:41

Donnamarie - Whatever his philosophy of film making might be, don't kid yourself. He cares what others think - partly for ego reasons and partly because if others don't like his work he won't get the financing to do it. He's a rich man, but he's not rich enough to finance his own films and support the lifestyle to which his family will be accustomed.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 28 Feb 2017, 17:00

Totally agree, Lizzy, but a couple of riders.

Until now, film making and career have been his main focus. He's been unbelievably successful while also making friends family and human rights a massive priority.

Now the thing that he least expected to happen in his life has happened

He took time off to be in Britain with Amal before they married. He will take time off to be with her and his children. They will work it out - it's not as if they haven't got staff and offices. 

But they will be his priority and I suspect something he said about his dad's continuing absence for work when he was small will influence him too.

Of course he'll be back. He has many hats - if not, he can always fall back on his
 single biggest earner! Cheers!

And yep, I think the twins will start life at the local nursery and village school. And further down the line International or American Schools. But we'll see

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 17:08

Good points PAN.

I'm not saying George doesn't care what others think Lizzy.  He is all too aware that if he wants to stay relevant and bankable he has to accommodate.  But I don't think he's willing to compromise his own filmmaking values just for the sake of making a buck.  I'm sure George isn't as bankable as he used to be and he knows it.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 28 Feb 2017, 18:26

Donnamarie - Of course he knows it. He's been saying for years that you only get so much time at the top and he's mentioned several times not wanting to age on screen. That's why I think he's been planning his move behind the scenes for a long time.

Truth is, if he wants to stay relevant and bankable he'll have to up his game. He keeps having these near misses and getting critical interest but not major success. Something in the formula isn't working. Maybe it's lack of experience - although he's done enough by now not to use the excuse that he's still figuring things out. Maybe it's ego, and he thinks he has got it all figured out and won't take advice. Maybe he's just not that good at making movies of his own( What a Face). Whatever, if he wants to still be making films for another 15-20 years he needs to figure out what isn't working and fix it! It doesn't matter what kind of movie you make if nobody goes to see them.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 18:48

Lizzy I don't disagree that George needs to up his game. Suburbicon may be pivotal for him. His first directing stint since MM. Right?

We better move off this thread if we want to continue to discuss George's work. Maybe we need a general thread for these discussions. I don't know. Katie's already none too pleased with us warning
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 28 Feb 2017, 19:16

annemarie wrote:So he is supposed to be unique ? I think he is a wonderful actor a kind generous and very caring man.

Those things make him unique in a world where a lot of men could care less.

Him changing girlfriends like he changed his socks wasn't unique after awhile it was sad. ...

Firstly, I think the only thing "sad" or "desperate" thing about Old George's dating life was his requirement of youth and beauty. Everybody involved went in with their eyes open. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a single man having a series of two-year relationships, if he's honest and respectful about it.

But my general point is that I (me, personally, stating an opinion) do not find it interesting or stimulating to follow someone who is leading the same life that I and most of the people I know also lead or have lead. His babies certainly won't be cuter than my grandchildren or great nieces and nephews or those of friends. Amal will not be a better mother than my daughter or nieces, and George will not be a better father than my brothers, nephews, or friends. George may be doing this part of his life in front of cameras and in multiple homes, but the basics are the same. And, again, to me, it is not worthy of the hype.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 28 Feb 2017, 19:18

Donnamrie - As far as I know Suburbicon will be his first directorial effort since MM.

You're right. We should move this somewhere else. Maybe to "And The Rest" or as a new topic in the "George Clooney's Film Work" section?

Katie, where do you think this belongs?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker? Empty How George has changed (impending fatherhood and all that). Is he still a good film maker?

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 21:45

That sounds like a good spot under "George Clooney's Film Work". Title the topic "And the Rest" or "General Discussion"?

Katie? What say you?

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 01 Mar 2017, 10:17

Donnamarie wrote:He has stumbled lately with some of his work but I think he definitely has it in himself to stay true to what he believes is quality filmmaking.
 Yeah, but CoADM was the last film he made that I thought was really any good, and that was around 15 years ago, wasn't it?  I think he's too self-indulgent with his films and what results isn't really quality.  He's done well, but not brilliantly.  Has he shot his bolt?  No idea.

party animal - not! wrote:But they will be his priority and I suspect something he said about his dad's continuing absence for work when he was small will influence him too.
 I totally agree with you: I can see him slowing down with the many projects he was handling, and I think that's a good thing.  He seems to have his head screwed on right and doesn't want his kids raised in the Hollywood bubble.  If he can achieve that, that may be most important thing he's ever done in his life.

As much as I want to see George in films, and making films, and promoting his films and being on the red carpet every single day (because, ya know, I'm a fan), I don't honestly think he'd be a huge loss to filmaking if he stopped directing and producing for a few years to concentrate on being with his family. Lord knows, he must have a million other things he's still doing on the side, so I don't see him getting bored.

Here's what I hope will happen: George takes time off to be a decent, hands-on father and that break inspires him to write/come up with some truly amazing films.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 01 Mar 2017, 10:25

Katie, Confessions was that good? Michael Clayton, Up in the air, the Descendants and Gravity are almost four out of his Top 5 movies, plus O Brother or GNGL. In my opinion, Confessions is just a fine work from a rookie director, not better than even IoM.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 01 Mar 2017, 13:20

Sevens - Confessions is the first film where he did more than just act. It's a quirky, interesting movie and a good directing debut. Except for IOM, all the rest of the movies you mentioned were just acting jobs.

He's made it pretty clear that acting will take a back seat in the future. Here's hoping that if he slows down to spend time with the twins he'll have more time to spend on the writing/editing side of whatever projects he works on. IMO that's his weakness. I'm sure he recognizes good timing/pacing  and good writing in other people's work. Maybe with fewer commitments to distract him he'll improve those aspects of his own projects.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 01 Mar 2017, 14:24

Without going into much detail my quick thoughts ... I don't think George has done his best work yet. That's the hopeful side of me speaking. Confessions was his most unconventional and edgy undertaking to date IMO. GNGL was a solid piece of directing and his overall best directorial effort. Ides' effort was good enough but not exceptional.

I think George's acting performances have been his strength so far. The American, Michael Clayton (his best!), Up in the Air, The Descendants, O' Brother are standouts in my mind. Tho have to say he was the best eye candy in Three Kings. That counts, doesn't it?
I still see George as a work in progress. Hopefully Suburbicon will show that George has grown as a director and pleasantly surprise us.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 01 Mar 2017, 15:13

Hate to throw cold water on ya, Donnamarie- but in the pit of my stomach I have this aching feeling that his Nibbs has done his best work, and is in a rapid decline.

side note:   $10 says if he gets an award in the next 12 months, his acceptance speech will include" my best production to date is little Georgie and Georgette"

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 01 Mar 2017, 15:22

Remember even Clint Eastwood was still a bad director in his early 50s. With all the talents he's got, George hasn't done yet in filmmaking.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Wed 01 Mar 2017, 19:30

Georgie and Georgette   . He he he heeeeeeeeeeeee Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 02 Mar 2017, 00:59

I think Confessions is his best directorial work too. It's such a weird, interesting little movie. I hoped he'd continue in that vein rather than what he ended up doing, which is several variations on "middle aged white dudes save America/the world". I feel like Suburbicon has the pedigree to to be in that "weird and interesting" category, and I'm most hopeful because he didn't write the script entirely on his own, which is when I think he is at his most self-indulgent. He's definitely slowed down his pace since he got married, and I imagine he will even more once the babies arrive. IMO, that can only help him. He's been burning the candle at both ends for a long time; a short break to regroup and focus on what's important to him, both in his personal life and creatively, might be just what the doctor ordered for his career.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 02 Mar 2017, 02:22

The Coens wrote the script and he just changed it a little bit. Considering the fact that the Coens won two Oscars for writing,  I'm ready to assume he has at least a writing nomination on the way, which would mark his third writing nomination.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 02 Mar 2017, 02:50

Sevens wouldn't the Coens get the writing credit? It's still basically their work. Remember what happened with Leatherheads? George rewrote a lot of the story but didnt get the writing credit. Am I remembering that correctly?

Missa, it's nice to read your take. I think a number of us feel George was onto something with Confessions. But he never followed up over the years with anything quite like that little film.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 02 Mar 2017, 05:12

Sevens wrote:Katie, Confessions was that good? Michael Clayton, Up in the air, the Descendants and Gravity are almost four out of his Top 5 movies, plus O Brother or GNGL. In my opinion, Confessions is just a fine work from a rookie director, not better than even IoM.
Yes, but I meant the films he directed. I'm not wild about Ides of March or GNGL.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 02 Mar 2017, 05:50

Donnamarie wrote:Sevens wouldn't the Coens get the writing credit?  It's still basically their work.  Remember what happened with Leatherheads?  George rewrote a lot of the story but didnt get the writing credit.  Am I remembering that correctly?

Missa, it's nice to read your take.  I think a number of us feel George was onto something with Confessions.  But he never followed up over the years with anything quite like that little film.  
I think he's solved the credit thing with the Coens. You'll find George, Grant and the Coens are both listed as writers in the film's official description on its production company Black Bear Pics website.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 02 Mar 2017, 07:17

"As the only person to ever be nominated in six separate categories, George Clooney has a strong relationship with the Academy that could elevate Suburbicon to Oscar success."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Love this part. Proud of him. Let's go for it, George!
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 02 Mar 2017, 16:37

Sevens - That prediction is really a back-handed compliment. It sort of says that "Suburbicon" will get a nom because of who George is - not because it's going to be a great movie. Considering the competition I don't think he should be writing his acceptance speech yet.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Thu 02 Mar 2017, 16:53

That George would get an award because of who he is, and not necessarily the work surprises you????????????????????  sarcasm

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 02 Mar 2017, 16:57

Nope. Was just trying to clarify for Sevens that the article's comment wasn't exactly a compliment. To be in competition for merit he'll have to knock this one out of the park. The other films look like they'll be tough to beat.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 02 Mar 2017, 17:15

I'll consider that as a compliment. George has earned that prestige to get big studios backing him during the Oscar campaign.
Does Meryl Streep deserve her record-breaking collection of 20 nominations? We all know the answer.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:05

Sevens - I'm not saying he hasn't earned his prestige, or that his films shouldn't be considered viable enough to get studio backing - at least so far. If his likeability gets him anything in Hollywood it's probably studio good will.

I am saying that Academy Award nominations are supposed to be based on the merits of the film - not how much you like the people associated with it. Does it always work the way it should? No, but that's no reason to assume that Suburbicon will get nominated just because people like George. There seem to be a lot of good films coming out this year. How embarrassing would it be to know your film was only included because people want to be kind?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:11

Sevens wrote:I'll consider that as a compliment. George has earned that prestige to get big studios backing him during the Oscar campaign.
Does Meryl Streep deserve her record-breaking collection of 20 nominations? We all know the answer.

Apparently, we don't.

Please name for me any nominations for which Streep's nominated performance, in any given year as weighed against other performances, wasn't deserving of the recognition.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:33

It's an interesting and impressive list of movies that Movie Pilot has put together. At this point there is no way of knowing which of those films will end up with an Oscar nomination. The best actors, the best directors and the best scripts, if they don't all come together in just the right way, is no guarantee of awards success. But if Daniel Day Lewis is in the mix there's always a good chance he will be nominated in the acting category.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 03 Mar 2017, 00:57

Way2Old4Dis wrote:
Sevens wrote:I'll consider that as a compliment. George has earned that prestige to get big studios backing him during the Oscar campaign.

Apparently, we don't.

Please name for me any nominations for which Streep's nominated performance, in any given year as weighed against other performances, wasn't deserving of the recognition.
Amy Adam, for example, excels her in a more complicated role.
Let alone that ridiculous supporting role nomination for Disney blockbuster INTO THE WOODS.
Both of the films weren't even good or released in awards season. George couldn't get a nomination for Gravity and she could get nominations for average even bad movies. As much as I love Meryl's performances, her mastery of PR is just above every one else.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 03 Mar 2017, 01:25

By the way, this is another analysis of Matt Damon's chances for Best Actor in this film:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down