George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Should Clooney's Open House close? EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Should Clooney's Open House close?

+15
Joanna
liosliathnichaiside
What Would He Say
LizzyNY
Alisonfan
Tulips
annemarie
carolhathaway
Donnamarie
pattygirl
fava
Sevens
Way2Old4Dis
PigPen
Katiedot
19 posters

Go down

Should Clooney's Open House close down?

Should Clooney's Open House close? Vote_lcap12%Should Clooney's Open House close? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
Should Clooney's Open House close? Vote_lcap88%Should Clooney's Open House close? Vote_rcap 88% 
[ 29 ]
Should Clooney's Open House close? Vote_lcap0%Should Clooney's Open House close? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 33

Poll closed

Should Clooney's Open House close? Empty Should Clooney's Open House close?

Post by Katiedot Tue 28 Feb 2017, 13:58

Hello Clooney fans everywhere

I have a question to ask you: do you want this site to close down?  

The reason I'm asking is because being the admin of this site while holding down a full time job is more than I can easily manage on my own.  I took almost a year off this site and while I still care a lot about George, I'm not sure I can manage this until either he or I call it quits on this whole being alive business.

What keeps this site so good is when there's lots of people commenting on posts, and in my experience, that happens when there's lots of pictures and news stories.  I keep asking people to post the whole story, not just links, but it seems you just want to ignore that and expect me to spend hours each day cleaning up your posts, clicking on links and posting pictures and the whole story on every thread for you.  I'm tired of doing this.

So, seeing as you seem to be unwilling to help make this a good site, how much would you miss this place if I close it?

Sorry if I sound pissy, but I am.  I'm faced with three pages of posts in the Cesars thread plus all the Paris and London sightings to clean up and I'm just fed up with it.

You can vote above and/or comment below.

Thanks

Katie
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Should Clooney's Open House close? Empty Re: Should Clooney's Open House close?

Post by PigPen Tue 28 Feb 2017, 14:15

Katie, I feel your pain, and I mean this in love and friendship.  I'm torn about casting a vote.  Good photos, up to the minute info. Stuff not easily found on other sites This can't be easy for you, even if you didn't have a career.  Nicky, Mini and Lorne Doone were of great help to you,  I'm sure and lightened the load.  I don't know why only links are posted- maybe it's difficult when posting using a phone, or  not everyone is great with a computer

But, truth be told, a lot of people have left COH, for whatever their reasons, and are sadly missed, at least by me.  IMO- their humor and wit made reading/posting fun.  Now, not so much.  Yet, I stay.

If the decision is to close , I will respect your decision- but will greatly miss my drinking buddy!!

PigPen
xxoo

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 28 Feb 2017, 14:19

Katie, I would really miss COH, whether I'm in a commenting mood or not, because I don't go looking for Clooney news anywhere else. Ultimately it's your decision, but... Didn't you used to have more help? Or have you always been the only person doing the clean-up on the posts?

My suggestions for options, in no certain order of preference,
would be:

Get some help to do the scut work
Send PM's to the most frequent culprits with a come-to-Jesus warning
Delete any post with a link but no article or picture (which still takes work, but might be easier)
Take another break (Okay, that one would be at the bottom of my list)

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 28 Feb 2017, 14:53

Katie, first it'd be really sad really if this site gets closed! You've done really well and this is better than any other fan site I've ever known.
As far as the clean-up thing, you should need some more help by making pan as a new administrator. And here's my honest thoughts: I've been to some other forums such as Reddit and AwardsWatch, they're all requiring the simplicity in content, which means more links and trying to avoid tons of pictures or lengthy articles.I even got warned once for posting too many photos. Personally, I'm fine with those links cause I mostly visit here on phone. If most of us don't mind about just posting the links, then you don't have to do all the heavy clean-up thing all by your self. Seeing you post here from time to time with a few clever comments would be great as well.
Hope COH could still provide fun and joy to you.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Tue 28 Feb 2017, 16:03

You are the owner of the site, so if your belief is that the site is better with photos and articles posted instead of links, you are entitled to enforce that.  

Getting help is fine, but life changes for everyone so may not be long term reliable. 

Retraining posters may be the way to start as Way2 suggests.

I too would miss the site if is closed.  Where would we critique the parenting??

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Tue 28 Feb 2017, 16:22

Like everything "Hollywood", COH is becoming somewhat of a battleground and a political forum.  It was fun when George was the topic of conversations.  However, he now seems to be an afterthought, a small blip on the site.  Differences of opinion on the subject of George and his life are to be expected and had always been fun to read and comment on.  Now, however, there is too much political discussion and discord.

GEORGE IS FUN, POLITICAL DISCUSSION AND BATTLES ARE NOT.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 16:27

Katiedot, I'm one of the culprits and I apologize. I'm really sorry. I have tried several times to cut and paste on my IPAD and I keep screwing it up. I know you are frustrated with some of us. I also realize you have a very busy job and you don't have the time to download all the pics and articles. I will assume that Lornedoone and Nicky are not available any longer to help out.

I would be fine if we were allowed to just post links. Even if that means the articles/pics over time will no longer be available to us through links. But if it makes your job easier I'm all for that.

I would really miss not coming here to talk about George. Im voting to keep COH going but if you decide you can't for personal reasons I totally respect your decision. Very Happy
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 28 Feb 2017, 16:47

Katie,
I'm also one of the users who only post links, I'm just not clever enough to copy articles and photos on my tablet. Sorry for that!

I could get infos by googling, but this site is so much more, and I'm one of those posters who are especially interested in political discussions. I enjoy to discuss them with those who are like-minded and benefit by improving my English (which is, of course, nothing that you should care about...

I'd be fine if everybody just posted links.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Tue 28 Feb 2017, 17:48

I think the point may be that Katie is not fine with everyone just posting links......Over time inactive links will also make threads that are not current unusable.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 18:15

Katie I would truly miss COH if you close it down.

I can try to post correctly without links but every time I have tried it doesn't work.

Can someone post a link to the instructions.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 28 Feb 2017, 19:33

O.k found the instructions will try to post the way you want Katie.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tulips Tue 28 Feb 2017, 22:00

I love the site. I too use a tablet and find it difficult to copy and paste with it.  It's not like a mouse.  I do apologize though.

I don't post much because I'm not interested in a debate  over whether I like George's wife or not and don't go into the off topic sections at all.  I have no interest in the political stuff.  I'm not an American.

I personally don't have a problem with viewing links and love the fact that things are on here I haven't seen elsewhere.  So I really hope you don't close it.

I guess I feel that a link is better than not sharing something one has found at all.

Tulips
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Wed 01 Mar 2017, 01:01

No I like writing here coh I like to read more. No not a good idea to close.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 01 Mar 2017, 04:24

I really hope you decide to keep the site going. It's the only site I  come to to find out what George is up to, but more than that I come to chat with people who are fun and interesting. I'd miss them terribly - just as I miss you when you disappear and all the other friends who have dropped away over time.

I'm useless when it comes to posting photos and such so I'm really grateful to the people who do, but if they only post links I'm ok with that, too. I wish I were computer savvy enough to offer to help you out, but I really don't know how to do the things that need to be done. Maybe someone else could volunteer? Please don't give up on us yet. Sad
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Fri 03 Mar 2017, 14:41

This site is like a room in my heart....it holds memories....some sad many happy all interesting....if the site goes it would make me sad....but my poster friends will remain forever in the room with my COH memories.

@Katie....I know only too well how being part of something you no longer feel passionate about can effect every part of your life....and it is true that new doors do not open until you finally shut the old (door)......If you were to give up to improve your well being, and find new interests then so be it.....

But don't underestimate your achievement....which is amazing.....and many might find envious....If you can no longer commit and be happy.....Maybe someone else can?......

I don't have a clue about the rules of forums.....but try putting it out there for a  take over....IF you feel the end is in sight for you.....

Or at very least give a couple of weeks warning....I have emails for some....but would like a few more and I am sure I am not alone on that.....

Clooney has become very secondary to what the site is about.....if anything only a co-starring role to what YOU have created here....There but by the grace of God, you could so easily have created a momsnet (?) or whatever....... Katie, you most certainly have it within you......
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by liosliathnichaiside Fri 03 Mar 2017, 16:44

I like the pix.

liosliathnichaiside
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 05 Mar 2017, 14:35

I would very much like COH to continue in its present format Katie PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE.

I think a lot of us are now using a tablet or a phone to
access COH because of it's obvious convenience and it's more difficult to cut and paste than on a PC.
Maybe this is why the format has changed recently ?

Would it be a terrible thing for COH to continue as it is with links to items photos etc. Katie ?

Obviously we don't want you to be overburdened with the amount of work that is needed to keep The House tidy.....whose house is always slick and span anyway ?

IMO As long as visitors feel comfortable popping in and out and keeping up a healthy contact both with Our Man and his life and each other. Is there anything wrong with that ?
I can appreciate Katie that COH may not be presenting as you would like and as it used to be but Please don't close it down now. 
There is so much to look forward to in George and
Amal's life now and many of us would definitely miss reading about it all here.

IMO this is number One of the George Clooney Fan Sites
and is a credit to you Katie. 

flower Thumbs up! flower
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 05 Mar 2017, 16:15

I totally endorse everything Joanna's said and I couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm sorry I've given you so much work, Katie, and I am undoubtedly your biggest culprit. 

I am perfectly happy to continue researching, or coming across stories in the course of my research job, but I am truly technically incompetent.   

So I really appreciate the Twitter form of doing things which means stories can be posted in link form from absolutely any device anywhere in the world, which is, for instance, how the Monuments Men video of Amal came about. I was researching a piece on Anne Olivier Bell.

Yes, the numbers visiting the site and taking part on a very regular basis have fallen. I don't find that so surprising given that Our Man's life has changed completely over a few short years. But it's interesting that the highest number of users online was in January this year isn't it?

I also like the level of debate about world affairs - no doubt reflected in the Clooney household - but I understand that it's not for all. 

It's a great site, Katie. Thank you.

Ps I'm currently sitting on a couple of links I've found over the last few days. They are adenddums to the Paris trip.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 05 Mar 2017, 17:14

I hope it does not close, it's an information treasure trove.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 05 Mar 2017, 22:14

Everyone has had great things to say about COH. I will single out Joanna and PAN's comments in particular for saying it all.

I know that some posters aren't happy with the more serious off-topic subjects we've discussed here but I love having a place to come and discuss what's going on in the world. And it's even better to have posters from different parts of the world chiming in. It's enlightening for me. Everyone brings a different perspective.

I think it was inevitable that the site was going to change in some ways after George got married. It isn't the same fun and games anymore with his love life. He's settled down much to the sadness of many of us here. We loved having a peek into his personal life, his fun loving life style and his short term love affairs. It was like fantasy for George fans. But Im thrilled for his new life ... even if it doesn't seem as interesting. He is still the George I have been crazy about since ER. So following George still matters to me.

This is a great site Katie. You've done a terrific job of keeping it in a class by itself IMO. I think we all try to be responsible here in what we say. Thats what makes COH so credible!

Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 06 Mar 2017, 12:02

I haven't read The Serious Side as It covers things that I'm not interested in nor understand.

But I do read the threads regarding The Clooney's and George's professional life etc.

I would be totally gutted if COH wasn't here any longer.

As ladybug says...."It's an Information Treasure-trove"
 and that really sums it up well for me.

I bet there are not many other Fan Sites around that can be called that !!

IMO Katie should be proud of what she has created.....
With the help of the input from our invaluable 
George Researchers.

Thank you all once again from this geriatric fan 
in the U.K.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 15 Mar 2017, 17:48

Hi everyone.  Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and I really do appreciate the lovely words.  

As you could all probably tell, I was really pissed off when I created this thread, and in some ways I still am.

I like the idea that this site could be a treasure-trove because that was the thought behind it; I'd seen several sites come and go and desperately missed the information that was on those forums.  If you go back four or five years to any of the threads on this site, you can see pictures and information about George.  For fans who were new to George, it was a great way of catching up on what he was about.  And for those who didn't log in so regularly, it was easy to get back into the world of Clooney.

But now?  Not at all.  Now all we have are pages of links, many of which already aren't working anymore.  If anyone wanted to know what George was up to six months ago, they wouldn't find it on this site.  I find that a crying shame.

It doesn't take any kind of technical knowledge to copy and paste.  Even when using a tablet.  

So in conclusion: yes to keeping this site open, however, if you all feel that this site is worth keeping alive then all I ask is this: if you see that someone has just pasted a link and not the article itself, please could you take it upon yourself to copy over the whole thing here?  It doesn't need to be just me who does it.  Do we have a deal?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 16 Mar 2017, 01:58

Yo, deal !!!!!  Should Clooney's Open House close? Clap10Should Clooney's Open House close? Clap10Should Clooney's Open House close? Clap10Should Clooney's Open House close? Clap10
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Sat 18 Mar 2017, 13:59

So when someone has pasted just a link to a photo or article, we should create a new post with the actual article?  Not sure how this works.  Happy to do some though.  I too find it very frustrating to go back to a topic even a few weeks later and the links are no longer active.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 19 Mar 2017, 01:42

Yes Fava.  I go into the link, copy the article, then start my own post and paste the article.  You can then go into your own post and "clean" it up.  So many of them have so much garbage.  That way we'll have the whole article even if the link disappears.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 19 Mar 2017, 08:03

fava wrote:So when someone has pasted just a link to a photo or article, we should create a new post with the actual article?
Yep, exactly like that. Just go to the link, copy it and then paste it in your new message in the same thread.

Then, if you have the time and patience (I don't always!) you can edit your own post and clean it up because when you copy and paste - especially Daily Mail articles - sometimes all sorts of other crap comes with the story. But if you don't feel up to that, no worries. I think it's still better having the story with all the advertising blurb on this site than not having the story at all.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bonita786 Fri 07 Jul 2017, 16:13

Its a wonderful website, I have only just joined, it would be heartbreaking not writing messages!! Sad
bonita786
bonita786
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 09 Jul 2017, 10:23

Welcome Bonita..... you are a rare breed indeed.... you join as this thread suggests, many have left.... not because of George not because of Amal.... simply because of bad advice, bad PR ....(e.g. "Yes Mrs Clooney wear that 6000k dress, while talking about starved Yazidi's" see what I mean....good advice might have said "maybe not now, not today"......

George enjoyed amazingly good advice for many years...he lived under a lucky star he could do no wrong to man woman or beast.....

He was a rare breed back then, everyone's ultimate Buddy.... a hard act to pull off, especially with grace and dignity..... he dined with presidents and kings .... but was equally at home in any bar any town....A nice man who had won life's jackpot.....summered in Como and shared his good fortune with friends old and new, you just knew that if you bought him a drink he would buy you one back.....

He was quiet simply his own man.... of late I don't see him anymore.... it's like he is sinking in a murky water, he is fading and the dark water is hiding his little light, it's not shining so bright..I am influenced by the stories I read, I try not to be, but things stick in the back of my mind.... 11k for a date night outfit to the local Chinese ... and I compare that to a film of George talking to an African tribesman under a tree.... by coincidence the African was wearing a knitted navy beret, with navy sequins on it....it was mine... I made it for about 10pence....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down