Post by party animal - not! on Tue May 17 2016, 22:21

What!!??!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Re: Germany to help al Bashir to set up refugee detention camps 17.516

Post by Donnamarie on Wed May 18 2016, 02:38

I'm dumbfounded by this story. Can you imagine how George would react to this .....

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 18 2016, 02:50

Me too, Donnamarie. Totally. Not the only publication with it either.   Shocking.

Waiting for it to be picked up by some really good investigative journalist. Or even better a wider circulation agency.

It's interesting too given the help George was offering Merkel....

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Wed May 18 2016, 06:15

I need more informations about that as well.

carolhathaway
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 18 2016, 09:24

Der Speigel have it........

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 18 2016, 10:19

Fox News

Six weeks after George visited Merkel - hope he's seen this stuff!!

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie on Wed May 18 2016, 13:17

This sounds like a desperate move on the EU's part. And it has the making of a catastrophe. Look at the deal with Turkey on the refugee situation. There have already been abuses there. What were they thinking???

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say on Wed May 18 2016, 13:19

Oh my God...

WWHS says.....what would our darling Mazy say?......

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

And they use the word "help" in the article....

What Would He Say
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie on Wed May 18 2016, 14:22

This is just awful it makes no sense. I am pretty sure George has seen this and is not happy.

annemarie
Clooney Purist

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 18 2016, 14:28

Can't say I blame them for wanting to keep this secret. They know it's the wrong thing to do, especially knowing ahead of time that these would be closed camps - basically prisons - which Al Bashir can use for his own ends.

I can't see this being any part of a solution to the refugee problem, except keeping some refugees out of Europe. Other than that, it just creates more problems and hostility toward the EU. The resentment caused in the refugee population stuck in these camps could breed a new generations of terrorists.

Maybe the hope is that fear of getting stuck in one of these camps will keep people from emigrating in the first place.

(BTW, much as I love him, what George thinks of all this is completely irrelevant. Other than trying to bring press attention to the issue, he has no more power to influence EU policy than any of us.)

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Wed May 18 2016, 14:37

Thanks for the links! I was looking for a German report to really understand what it was all about and found a quite good in a media center which had been screened on TV last night. They had brought up the issue in cooperation with 'Der Spiegel' which has printed it in its new magazine as well.

This actually doesn't surprise me. Of course there's a better headline 'Germany is helping dictators' than 'The EU is helping dictators' but that isn't the quintessence.

The quintessence is that the EU is doing everything to keep refugees away - no matter if they are on the run from a war, for political reasons or because they are starving and/or see no perspective in their home countries. And because they are surrounded by countries which are as much on the stake as their own country, they try to get to Europe because that's the nearest region if they are from Africa or the Middle East.

If the world would work together and every country would welcome a certain  number of refugees, would guarantee a certain standard for them which include food, accommodation and medical care as well as education, I'm sure it would work.
But since most of the countries refuse to take any refugees and just a few countries bear the brunt, it gets much harder.
If you add the right-wing politic in some Eastern European countries and the rising of the right-wing parties in others (including mine), the panic of some political parties to loose their voters to the right wing and the disagreements even within governments, this doesn't make it easier.

Not to mention the incidents in Cologne and other cities. I don't know why those people don't see how much they damage the reputation of every refugee.

I wish the EU and the UN would lay down the law and tell every country to shut up and take a look at the Human Rights Convention they all signed...
And since the EU and the UN don't act, other solutions have to be found, solutions with an immediate effect. Because it lasts decades ro improve the living conditions for the people in their native countries. So they replace one evil by another and sign contracts with the Turkish president and also with African dictators who blackmail the EU with 'Either  you give us money/ equipment/the EU membership/no visa for our citizens to enter the EU or we'll send all the refugees to you/won't take back our own citizens'. 

This just makes me sick...

By the way: These agreements won't work! They may fear some people enough to keep them away from running away, but I'm pretty sure that it will lead to another civil war, followed by more refugees...

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie on Wed May 18 2016, 14:59

This is sickening Carolhathaway. This move takes a horrible situation and somehow it will make it worse.
I don't know much about the complications of managing this refugee situation (I do feel a bit naive since our country seems so removed from the impact) but I am struggling to find what is reasonable and workable in this plan concocted by the EU.

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 18 2016, 15:20

carolhathaway wrote:

If the world would work together and every country would welcome a certain  number of refugees, would guarantee a certain standard for them which include food, accommodation and medical care as well as education, I'm sure it would work.

Carolhathaway - I think much of the problem is that most countries are already struggling to provide those things for their own citizens. The challenge to provide similar (if not the same) services to a huge group of refugees in a relatively short period of time must seem insurmountable, so maybe they feel any other option is worth considering. I'm not sure what good the UN could do, since moral outrage won't really make the situation any better. Maybe they should insist on staffing the camps in Sudan with UN forces and monitoring conditions on a real time basis to insure the refugees aren't mistreated.

IMO, this is a recipe for disaster for generations to come. If anyone doesn't understand why, consider Israel and Palestine.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Wed May 18 2016, 16:12

Lizzy,
I think you're right about that. During the last 15 years the number of EU countries has nearly doubled. Some countries like Bulgaria, Romania and Macedonia have a very low living standard so you certainly couldn't give refugees as much as in Germany or other countries with a higher standard because that would mean to give them more than your own citizens. So these countries certainly are not as attractive for refugees to stay (usually they can't choose it anyway). Others /sometimes the same countries have a very high unemployment rate so they are not interesting for refugees who plan to stay there.

And when I think about one year ago - I couldn't believe that our government wasn't prepared for the scenario of many refugees coming to Germany. I had expected that a plan was ready and just needed to be set. In fact it was just a disaster! We still don't know the exact number of refugees in Germany, don't know how many have asked for asylum in different cities and states. I was exhausted that families had to sleep in parks like homeless (fortunately it was quite warm last summer), but that's when more and more people started to volunteer, collected food, clothes and toys and just helped. And that happened in Germany, and we're world champions in planning and organizing everything!

So yes, I think many countries would have been overstreached with that situation, but if the EU had been prepared for that, they could have helped. And I still don't understand why nobody saw that coming...

When you're a citizen of a EU country you are free to travel and work in any other country within the EU so I can also imagine them to fear the competition of others. I had visited a big farm some weeks ago where they have about 1,500 migrant labourers in agriculture during the summer. They are from Poland and Belarus, Bulgaria and Romania. So maybe they are afraid of losing their jobs to refugees...

Last edited by carolhathaway on Wed May 18 2016, 16:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 18 2016, 18:58

My first thought, WWHS, exactly. What would Mazy say?

My second thought: Get the story out there before the planning stage goes any further. The EU has clearly done this in secret. It is quite explosive!

The biggest problem now is control and without doubt the EU has not got a handle on it by any stretch of the imagination. I guess this is what happens when you have to get all 29 - yep, 29! - countries to agree on anything.......

Here is a story from the British papers which was headline news yesterday from a speech by a very well respected man. His view on what would happen if 75 million Turkish citizens were allowed EU visas, as is currently being negotiated, is interesting.................

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 18 2016, 19:03

Carolhthaway - I'm not sure anyone could have seen this coming - at least not so many, so fast. Perhaps the fact that there are so many different nations involved makes it more difficult to organise a workable program - sort of a "too many cooks" situation. Maybe there needs to be some sort of central agency with worldwide authority and funding from all countries to organize aid programs. I know the UN should be doing this, but apparently they were caught unprepared just like everyone else.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 18 2016, 19:08

The irony is, Lizzy, is that the EU were aware of this a lot earlier than we think. 

But I think you're right. The organisation is almost too big - can you imagine any one concerned in one meeting looking at their diaries and trying to agree with 28 others? How long would that alone take? And guess what? At least two more countries have applied to join!

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 18 2016, 19:52

Not making light of the situation, but maybe the difficulties the EU is having getting a consensus and getting anything done will give you some idea of what it's been like for President Obama the last eight years. If you substitute 50 states for 29 nations, and Congress for national politicians, you get some idea of why it's so difficult for the US to accomplish anything right now. Our enemies don't have to come after us - we're doing their job for them.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie on Wed May 18 2016, 20:18

Hindsight is 20/20.  Most major calamities like wars, genocides and such creep up on us.   There is almost always a sense that it's not as bad as some would have us believe.  Then it reaches a point of seemingly near disaster and everyone reacts suddenly.  And lays blame.  And the fear sets in.  And the situation becomes too complicated to resolve easily.  Which is where the EU is now.  

And now even if the 29 nations agreed to take refugees how complicated would that be to organize?  And reshuffle refugees from country to country. Where would the money come from to support this effort.
And not much hope of the US helping to any significant degree.  I know Canada is taking some too but not a significant number.

But this agreement just sounds incredibly poorly thought through.   It seems desperate. No wonder the EU didn't want this to get out to the media.  

I didn't see anything in the New York Times this morning about the issue.

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Wed May 18 2016, 20:47

I'm very thankful that you found it because 'Der Spiegel' didn't publish it on his website (which I check regularly) but just in his magazine (which I don't buy normally). So otherwise I wouldn't know about it - although I hope that there will be press coverage...

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 18 2016, 22:38

Donnamarie - The fact that the world never seems prepared for events like this is why I think we need a permanent worldwide relief organization funded by everyone and staffed and run by professional aid workers. Something like an official global Red Cross but with more clout.

Even a global relief body overseeing and coordinating the existing aid organisations would be an improvement over what's going on  now.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 18 2016, 23:07

Totally agree, Lizzy, with your comparison with the USA in the EU crisis - except that in addition you have many countries in the union who have long standing identities, histories and enemies all of their own!

One of the views I have heard recently from those that know is the suggestion of something like the Marshall Plan to help the situation. Of course that would need to start with safe havens..........which smacks of a logistical nightmare even as I write it.......

I can understand the president of Afghanistan's feelings when he said he had very little sympathy for all the young men who think they have gone to greener fields rather than stay in the country that gave them free university education, and he would have wanted to stay to help their own country......... of course social media in all forms has contributed to this too........

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Thu May 19 2016, 00:39

PAN - I keep thinking back to the man (can't remember who he was) who was willing to buy an island for the refugees to go to. Maybe that's the solution. The whole world should chip in and buy land - or an island (or several) - and build and staff permanent facilities for caring for refugees until such time as they can be relocated or returned home in an organized manner. This could be a place of refuge for people fleeing natural disasters as well as political situations. I know it's simplistic, but nothing we have in place seems to be working. Maybe it's time to try something new.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie on Thu May 19 2016, 01:07

Good ideas here. And solving this problem by going in a totally new direction couldn't hurt. But I think the refugee situation is far too complicated at this point to find a pragmatic solution.

Seems the UN could have played a far more aggressive role. They could have taken the lead in coming up with a refugee relocation program. Maybe they just don't have the clout they should have. Or is that not in their job description?

Can you imagine what Samantha Power thinks of this proposed agreement between the EU and the Sudan?!

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Thu May 19 2016, 01:30

Exactly.

But of course one of the many problems with the UN is that many countries there default on their payments to keep it going.

Another bigger issue of course vis a vis this is that some members of the Security Council are very likely to veto anything to do with this......... eg Russia, China......

And Mr Putin must be watching the European chaos from afar  and realise all too quickly how it is being weakened.......

The Daily Mail:

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Thu May 19 2016, 10:19

party animal - not! wrote:
I can understand the president of Afghanistan's feelings when he said he had very little sympathy for all the young men who think they have gone to greener fields rather than stay in the country that gave them free university education, and he would have wanted to stay to help their own country......... of course social media in all forms has contributed to this too........

PAN,
I can understand his feelings as well.

Maybe he should ask himself WHY they all go away.

- Muslims who convert to christianity are killed, and the government forces that and tells everybody to prevent it.
- Christians in all are in danger in Afghanistan.
- Women need the allowance of their husbands to leave the house.
- Prisoners are tortured.
- Journalists are imprisoned, tortured and killed.
- Children are forced to marriage.
- Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world.

A little history lesson? Afghanistan was always a poor country. In the 19th century it was occupied by the British Empire to prevent an expansion of the Russian empire which led to three wars until Afghanistan became independent in 1919. It was a kingdom for 40 years until someone who was supported by the USSR dispossessed the king and proclaimed a republic. From 1979 to 1989 the mujahedin (who were supported by the US and Saudi Arabia) fought the communistic government and the Soviet army in Afghanistan. The CIA and the Pakistani Secret Service trained the fighters and armed them. When the USSR broke down in 1989 and left Afghanistan, the different mujahedin tribes fought in a civil war which led to the Taliban who came into power and radicalized the country and put Sharia law. After 9/11 it was recognized that the Taliban had supported and hosted terrorists, and the US started the War on Terror which at least stopped the Taliban but still continues... Oh yes, the Taliban went over the border to Pakistan and started assassinations against Afghanistan, especially suicide attacks. They are still trained and financed by the Pakistani Secret Service ISI... Since last year it's not just the Taliban who threaten the country but also ISIS...

Millions of Afghanistans escaped in 1980, most of them went to Pakistan and Iran. Many returned, but due to the War on Terror another wave of refugees (I hate this word) started after 2001.
Of course it would be great if young, educated people would stay in Afghanistan.  But I can also understand since they are educated and also well informed about the rest of the world, that they decide to leave.

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Thu May 19 2016, 10:23

party animal - not! wrote:
And Mr Putin must be watching the European chaos from afar  and realise all too quickly how it is being weakened.......

PAN,

I think exactly the same! He really must be enjoying to just sit back and watch it...

Maybe Russia should take some Million refugees. It's the biggest country in the world, they have lots of space...

Last edited by carolhathaway on Thu May 19 2016, 10:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Thu May 19 2016, 10:26

By the way:

What does the number '17.516' in the headline mean?

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Thu May 19 2016, 11:23

I just realized that my post about Afghanistan's history sounds quite harsh.

I didn't want to critizise anybody, any country and any political decisions; I knew there were reasons for that, and since I do remember the times of the 'cold war' very well (God, I'm old!), I think I do understand why the USSR did this and the US did that...

I just wanted to Point out that Afghanistan struggles not just because of own failures but often because it became a political football for other countries. This happened to other countries as well, mostly because of oil or other natural resources, in this case because of its geographical Location...

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Thu May 19 2016, 11:54

carolhathaway wrote:By the way:

What does the number '17.516' in the headline mean?

posted on May 17, 2016, at 5:02 a.m.

melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie on Thu May 19 2016, 13:26

carolhathaway I didn't find your synopsis "harsh".  Thanks for the historical background.  So many of us read world headlines or hear brief news stories about so much of the Middle East and don't understand the history of how these countries got to where they are today.  Myself included.  So I like reading the opinions and insights of you and PAN regarding world issues especially. Very much appreciated!

Last edited by Donnamarie on Thu May 19 2016, 13:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit text)

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Thu May 19 2016, 15:34

Carol, I understand exactly what you're saying about Afghanistan and its geopolitics, but Ghani was talking about the young people's lack of commitment and how they've chosen to pay up to $30,000 (of their parents' money often!) to smugglers to take the journey.

Sad to say that almost all of them will be sent back!

But as he says the figure is staggering. Last year 549 graduated from the Military University and only 13 remain.......

Here is the interview

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway on Thu May 19 2016, 21:30

PAN,
I just wanted to point out that it's easy to judge but has to be analyzed why these young men don't see a perspective to stay in their native country, even they will be aware of the dangers and costs...

carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say on Fri May 20 2016, 19:26

Here we go again...me and my memories....yet again I have been to Afghanistan, years ago when there were still a few Russians rambling about and before Shock and Awe...things were bad then....God knows what they are like now....

Outside of the main towns like Kabul...things are run by the war lords, or were then...about a year ago I came across a picture of me taken on the Khyber Pass, next to a very old road sign pointing towards Kabul...it made me laugh I was so young and skinny and deluded, I had a very fashionable should bag...I haven't carried a bag/purse for so many years....I was to learn EVENTUALLY you don't attract attention if you carry NO bags....big pockets are my go to these days...but there I was as bold as brass with my cheese cloth shirt and bag, about to go look for a war lord in the Khyber Pass...
On our way (on the Peshawar side) we visited a market/bazaar called The Bara....after I found the old photograph I phoned a friend who had taken the picture and taken me to The Bara, he told me it's now grown to almost a "real" market with the refugee camp near by shrinking and expanding depending on the whatever is happening in Afghanistan ....back then it was sort of under the ground, dug into the dessert...full to bursting with old carts stacked hi with air to ground missiles and knuckle dusters that flicked out little knives all illegal...Now it sells everything a war lord, thug or even a refugee might need...mobiles too...with the exception of mobiles things don't really change...

I asked my friend what refugees were fleeing these days (this conversation was almost a year ago)...he said without hesitation without taking a breathe..."CHILD RAPE AND CHILD MURDER...."

Sad

What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Fri May 20 2016, 20:05

WWHS -What on earth were you doing looking for a warlord? It sounds like you were lucky to make it home. It also sounds like nothing ever changes - or maybe it just changes for the worse? If we are headed for the Apocalypse, I can understand why - we've earned it.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but it's been a discouraging day.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 on Sat May 21 2016, 08:57

Well a bit off topic, but there is really good book " A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini (Afghan himself).

In 17th century this was written:
"Every street of Kabul is enthralling to the eyeThrough the bazaars, caravans of Egypt passOne could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofsAnd the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls"
Country has a long history - totally ruined. 

Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say on Sat May 21 2016, 15:45

LizzyNY wrote:WWHS -What on earth were you doing looking for a warlord? It sounds like you were lucky to make it home. It also sounds like nothing ever changes - or maybe it just changes for the worse? If we are headed for the Apocalypse, I can understand why - we've earned it.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but it's been a discouraging day.

Not nearly as interesting as it sounds Lizzy....My friend who took my picture is a western surgeon and used to visits almost every year for anything from 6 weeks to 3 months to work in operating theatre's in dire need of his skill....A young patient in much need of 2 surgeries was taken back by his family, who bottled it last minute....His Grandfather was to blame, he was a big wig in the region (a warlord, but actually thats an overused word) he was about to get some kind of political status....So "one fine day" we set off to persuade him this would be a life changing operation and time was running out to complete both surgeries....and it would look good for him, the Grandad, to have allowed this...

Finding where they lived was we thought an almost impossibility...there were no houses in that region or villages, just what looked like giant four corner "sand castles" fortresses where many families lived together....We hit lucky and found a guy who knew exactly where to go, and it was in sight of the track.....3 hours and much negotiation later we left with the boy and his sister who slept on the floor beside him for six weeks.....The cause of our day out was LOVE....pure and simple....A Grandad for his Grandson......

True, nothing ever changes....

What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Sat May 21 2016, 16:05

I love you lip smack

it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Sat May 21 2016, 16:07

WWHS - How wonderful that you went above and beyond what many would have done, and so sad that it was necessary. I hope the boy recovered and is doing well. I hope his grandfather appreciates what was done for him.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 17:18

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum