George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival

4 posters

Go down

Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival Empty Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 20:40

Film critic Leonard Maltin coming to Plaza festival
by Doug Pullen \ El Paso Times
Posted: 06/12/2011 01:00:47 PM MDT

Plaza Classic Film Festival organizers plan to expand the educational aspect of this year's festival. They've asked celebrity film critic Leonard Maltin to help. The "Entertainment Tonight" movie critic, blogger and author of popular movie guides will be among a host of film critics, scholars and authors at the Aug. 4-14 festival. "For me, one of the priorities this year was to continue to expand our scholastic and academic credentials," said Charles Horak, the festival's artistic director.

Maltin is the biggest name on the list of film experts, scholars and critics who'll introduce and talk about movies this year. They include Nick Clooney, who will return for the third straight year. Clooney, 77, who was hospitalized in late April for possible exhaustion, interviewed El Paso native Debbie Reynolds and "Sunset Blvd." star Nancy Olson at last year's festival. He'll return with his wife, Nina. "They're 100 percent class. We're happy to have them," said Eric Pearson, executive vice president of the El Paso Community Foundation, which produces the festival. Clooney is the father of actor George Clooney and brother of the late singer Rosemary Clooney. He is a former host on cable movie channel AMC.

Also returning: Boston Phoenix film critic Gerald Peary, who showed his documentary "For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism" last year, and Bart Weiss, Dallas Video Festival director. One of the "huge additions," Horak said, is educator and film scholar Jeanine Basinger, an author and film studies chairwoman at Connecticut's Wesleyan University, where she curates its Cinema Archives. "I think she is one of the most important film scholars alive today," Horak said, calling her "a real cinema evangelist." "She knows a lot of people. We're very excited," he said. One of them is Maltin, an old friend since they were teen agers. Both will be here for the festival's second weekend on Aug. 12-14. "They should have a nice reunion," Horak said. "We'll probably create a special conversation-type event for the two of them to talk about cinema, classic film, the studios, everything the festival is about."

Festival officials have confirmed nearly 25 percent of the planned 80 movies for this year's event, including "The Ten Commandments," "The Godfather Part II," "Blade Runner," "Fantasia," "Dumbo," "Beauty and the Beast," "Frankenstein," "Taxi Driver" and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." Recent additions include the Marx Brothers' "A Day at the Races," Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains the Same," "M," "MacBeth," "Swing Time" and "Throne of Blood."

Tickets are expected to go on sale in early July, Pearson said.

Doug Pullen may be reached at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]; 546-6397. Read Pullen My Blog at elpasotimes.com/blogs.

Back to top Go down

Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival Empty Re: Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival

Post by melbert Sun 12 Jun 2011, 22:51

Glad Nick is up for this. I hope he really is doing well.
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival Empty Re: Nick Clooney returns to Plaza festival

Post by it's me Sun 12 Jun 2011, 23:50

me 2 !
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 13 Jun 2011, 02:34

Welcome back, It's Me!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Mon 13 Jun 2011, 03:14

Where have you been it's me, did you take a George vaca?
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 09 Jul 2011, 09:20

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Movie legends' sons join guests at Plaza fest; tickets go on sale Friday

Bogart will be there, so will Robards -- and higher ticket prices.
Stephen Humphrey Bogart and Jason Robards III will be among the celebrity guests at the fourth Plaza Classic Film Festival on Aug. 4-14.
Tickets, which increase an average of $2 a movie this year, will go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday at the Plaza Theatre box office and Ticketmaster.
Bogart and Robards will introduce films starring their famous fathers.
Bogart, 62, is a best-selling author and the son of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, who met while making "To Have and Have Not," the 1944 Howard Hawks classic loosely based on Ernest Hemingway's novel. Bogart's first name was taken from his father's character's name in the movie.
He'll introduce the film at 7 p.m. Aug. 5 in the Plaza Theatre and discuss his famous parents in a talk at 11 a.m. Aug. 6.
"He'll talk about growing up the son of two of the biggest Hollywood stars of all time," said Charles Horak, the film festival's artistic director.
Robards, also 62, will introduce "The Ballad of Cable Hogue," a 1970 Western directed by Sam Peckinpah in which his father, Jason Robards (who also married Bacall), played a failed prospector. It will show at 3:30 p.m. Aug. 6 in the theater.
"It was probably one of his dad's biggest roles," Horak said, noting that the younger Robards worked on the movie's set as a teenager.
Now an actor and director, Robards III also will introduce his own movie, the much-buzzed-about sci-fi film "Zenith," at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 8.
Meanwhile, ticket prices are going up from $8 to $10 for most evening shows and from $4 to $6 for most matinees in the theater.
Movies in the adjacent Philanthropy Theatre will cost $4, up from $2 last year.
Festival passes, which include admission to all events, went up from $150 last year to $200 this year. They've been on sale at the El Paso Community Foundation for two months.
The expanding festival's growing costs necessitated the price increases, organizers say.
Last year's festival, which featured actress Debbie Reynolds and director Peter Bogdanovich, had a record turnout of 37,000 yet lost $3,000, according to Eric Pearson, executive vice president of the El Paso Community Foundation, which produces the event.
The foundation covered the difference, he said.
Organizers hope higher ticket prices will offset an increasing number of guest appearances and events. This year's festival will include "The Ten Commandments: Treasures from the Production Archives," an exhibit of costumes, jewelry, drawings and correspondence, which will open July 16 at the El Paso Museum of Art.
"We're thinking in longer terms than year-by-year," said Pearson, who hopes to increase the festival's national profile in the next few years.
"We know with the price of airline tickets and marketing out of town, we needed to be able to cover those costs as we bring in more guests and keep focusing on these things," he said.
They plan to offset increases with more free events, Pearson said. The new prices, he added, are competitive with commercial movie theaters and "definitely cheaper than any film festival."
More than 80 films are planned this year, including "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Blade Runner," "The Godfather: Part II," "Taxi Driver" and "The Ten Commandments." Other guests will include film critic Leonard Maltin and scholar Nick Clooney.
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 09 Jul 2011, 15:07

Thanks Merlin. I hope that Nick is feeling better. Been kind of quiet the last few months, so I hope he's been resting. It was good to see him at the RC House for the car donation, but he did look a little bedraggled there.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down