George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane"

+11
Sevens
fava
What Would He Say
it's me
melbert
Doug Ross
Joanna
LizzyNY
annemarie
Donnamarie
party animal - not!
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 Empty Re: George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane"

Post by annemarie Fri 11 Mar 2016, 14:31

That definitely fits .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane" - Page 2 Empty Re: George Clooney: "Donald Trump is insane"

Post by Donnamarie Fri 11 Mar 2016, 18:04

carolhathaway sounds apt!

Yes I believe the media did play a part in this. I watch a fair amount of news, especially political news on tv and it aggravates the hell out of me how the cable news stations will cover Trump rallies. They don't cover Hillary or Bernie events even half as much. Most of these programs will spend more than half of their allotted time covering and talking Trump. They want the ratings for sure. But I feel it's overkill and irresponsible on the media's part.

But in the end the media just covered what Trump was saying. His comments didn't need to be embellished by the media. Trump has done quite well on his own. Every time he said something shocking or derogatory at the beginning of his campaign the media would say he had done himself in. He candidacy was finished. But on the contrary his support grew. People in the end are responsible for their choices. His followers know where he stands and they are quite happy to embrace him.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 11 Mar 2016, 18:46

Donna,
in the German medias there's also much more coverage on Trump's speeches than of the other candidates. Plus - if you read the comments - there are more people who admire  Trump and wish we had somebody like him here hidingbehindsofa
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 11 Mar 2016, 18:51

That is sad how can anyone admire that fool.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 11 Mar 2016, 19:09

Republican candidates: "Donald Trump is a circus master, a snake oil salesman, and a crude human being. He knows nothing about domestic governing or foreign policy. He is unfit to be President... But I do/will endorse him."

Who are the real idiots and/or insane people in this scenario?

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 11 Mar 2016, 20:26

All of the above .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 11 Mar 2016, 20:28

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Republican candidates: "Donald Trump is a circus master, a snake oil salesman, and a crude human being. He knows nothing about domestic governing or foreign policy. He is unfit to be President... But I do/will endorse him."

Who are the real idiots and/or insane people in this scenario?

The Republican (what the hell is the matter with you) Party.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Fri 11 Mar 2016, 20:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 12 May 2016, 18:07

it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Thu 12 May 2016, 20:00

I think the first real plan for his insane declarations and how to achieve them he laid out this week. Abortion ban. He would appoint anti-abortion justices who would overturn the 1973 decision that legalised abortion in America. 

That's scary, really scary.

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 12 May 2016, 21:35

I'm wringing my hands a bit. The polls this week have shown Trump and Clinton in a very tight race. But I'm hoping Clinton's numbers are going to go up considerably as we get into more of the general election. I'm counting on women and minorities in this country to tell Trump what they think of him. Right now I'm not as optimistic as George.

I'm not very proud of a lot of people in my country right now. Racism and sexism is still alive and well .... sadly.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 12 May 2016, 21:51

True Donna and those two things will not go away.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 12 May 2016, 22:09

Donna,
for whom would people vote if Sanders gave up? Let's just say in California in June?

For me there's a wide gap between reality and what people feel emotionally. There is an atmosphere of fear in many countries - in the US, in Germany and many other European countries where the right wing parties have won elections. 
In most European countries like mine we have peace for 71 years now which is a really long time. Hardly anybody can remember living in a war zone (my parents who are both 78 still talk about that they were able to watch a city being bombed and burning ar the end of the war - and this city is about 60 miles away - although I'm not sure if they really remember having seen it or if they just remember the adults talking about that). We haven't had any terror attacks for more than 25 years, we are one of the richest countries, have a very low unemployment rate - but people feel differently.

And I can't understand why...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 12 May 2016, 23:22

carolhathaway wrote:for whom would people vote if Sanders gave up? Let's just say in California in June?
Many of them may not vote at all.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 May 2016, 00:10

carolhathaway wrote:For me there's a wide gap between reality and what people feel emotionally. There is an atmosphere of fear in many countries - in the US, in Germany and many other European countries where the right wing parties have won elections. 
In most European countries like mine we have peace for 71 years now which is a really long time. Hardly anybody can remember living in a war zone (my parents who are both 78 still talk about that they were able to watch a city being bombed and burning ar the end of the war - and this city is about 60 miles away - although I'm not sure if they really remember having seen it or if they just remember the adults talking about that). We haven't had any terror attacks for more than 25 years, we are one of the richest countries, have a very low unemployment rate - but people feel differently.

And I can't understand why...
Carolhathaway - I think a lot of the fear, at least here in the US, is economic. Many industries have out-sourced to places where they can get cheaper labor and have put many people here out of work, They are struggling and are fearful that things won't get better for them, and that things might even be worse for their children.

IMO, those feelings would be more manageable if it weren't for the media bombarding us from every side with doom-and-gloom negativity 24/7. In their attempt to get ratings and attention they drown us in negativity and ramp up the emotional content of every story until everything is a catastrophe. (Just a minor example: Any time a beautiful woman appears in public, she "stuns". Not "She looked lovely"  or "Her outfit was quite nice" - No. She "stuns". At the rate they use that word, most of the world's population should be lying unconscious - stunned!) I think the hysterical tone and fear mongering of the media and the internet keep the levels of anxiety and tension high.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 13 May 2016, 00:40

There is so much rhetoric in the U.S. about how bad everything is.  Lizzy, I agree that the media, and the opposing  political party IMO, perpetuates this image that our country is in dire straits.  It's not.  We have problems.  We've always had problems.  With poverty, low wages and foreign policy issues.  Our biggest problem IMO is reeducating our workforce to be able to thrive in our current U.S. labor environment.  The old manufacturing base is gone. People need new skills to get better paying jobs.

carolhathaway,  the influx of refugees and ISIS must be driving so much of the fear in Europe right now and that fear seems to be bolstering many of the far right political points of view.  Please correct me if I'm wrong  Smile
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 06:36

Lizzy,
it's the same here in Germany (I can't speak for the rest of Europe). Yes, companies have outsourced their productions to cheaper places. If I just think about our area: I live in an area near the 'border' to another federal state in Germany. When companies here need to invest by expanding or building new factory buildings many of them change to the other federal state because their government gives a lot of subventions to them. If the companies then decide to stay in the area near the 'border' their employees are able to live here and don't have to move. We are traditionally very settled, like to live in the same town or area for our whole life and keep the house we bought as young people for the rest of our lifes.

Volkswagen is the biggest employer in my federal state, and if you think how much they damaged their reputation by manipulating the emission values - it's just insane. And their board of managers are still paid millions of Euros as extras. But who do you think will have to pay the prize if they sell less cars due to that? Not them but the normal worker or car salesman.

But we still have one of the lowest unemployment rates inside the EU, we still export much more than we import, and we just installed a minimum wage. We still have a quite good system with social insurances, we do have an 'Obama care' for more than 150 years, we have a state pension scheme (although this is struggling). We managed to unify two countries 26 years ago.
And if people talk about how much better everything was in the past: When my parents were born we started a war, my grandfather and many others were killed. My father wasn't able to go to school until he was eight years old because there were no teachers - they all served as soldiers. My nation is responsible for killing millions of people and trying a genocide on a whole religion. We had started another war at the beginning 102 years ago which also killed millions.

After WW II the former generations had to rebuild our country and denied any guilt. We lost areas to Poland and Czechoslowakia and had to deal with millions of refugees from these areas. My mother told us how they lived with six families on their farm, and my husband's parents talked about how they felt as refugees.

I grew up in a time of fear: the cold war. The border between the FRG and the GDR was just a few miles away,mwe always went there with visitors from our British twin town - I still remember the vocabulary 'self-shoot devices'...
At school we watched movies like 'The Day After' and read books about what happens after an atomic bomb...
When we visited our British twin town and went to London the lady who organized the trip always callec the police in London in the morning to ask if it was safe to go there and which districts were safe because of the IRA. We had terrorists as well, and whenever we went to the post office we saw wanted posters of them.

Good old times? Definitely no!

Last edited by carolhathaway on Fri 13 May 2016, 06:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 09:49

And if you think about women's rights or medical progress:

Until about 40 years ago wives in West Germany (FRG) needed the allowance of their husbands if they wanted to work! This is an issue which I can't even think about. If a woman wanted to divorce she was called 'guilty', no matter why she decided that. She was stigmatized and often lost the child custody to him.
If my kids were born ten years earlier they had no chance to survive their very premature birth because of progress in medical treatment and drugs.
Minorities are treated differently...

I'm sure you all can think of progresses, developments etc. Treatment of blacks, immigrants, integration, inclusion...

I've said this a few times here: We don't live in a perfect world but what's the alternative?
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 11:02

Donnamarie wrote:carolhathaway,  the influx of refugees and ISIS must be driving so much of the fear in Europe right now and that fear seems to be bolstering many of the far right political points of view.  Please correct me if I'm wrong  Smile

Donna,
you're right about that. For me there's no alternative to help refugees.

But there are many people who fear domination of foreign influences. I do understand this, I really do. We had many discussions in my country because politicians and others fear the loss of the German cultural identity. So we started a discussion about what our cultural identity is and how to define it. And that's actually pretty difficult since it differs on in which part of Germany you live, how you grew up etc. We are a complicated country and still struggle in becoming one country after the re-unification in 1990. The separation had lasted only 40 years, but there are still barriers in our heads, you know? I think there is a reason why this new party 'AfD' is more successful in East Germany and why there are many demonstrations 'against the islamazation of the Christian Occident'. They grew up in communism, were used to keeping secrets because they were guarded (you know the movie 'The Lives of Others' ('Das Leben der anderen', won an Oscar for 'Best Foreign Film' in 2007?). Kids were told at school to report if their parents watched West German TV programs or read books from West Germany, and their parents were watched and convicted. But on the other hand the community life was pretty good, they helped each other, everybody was able to work because nearly all of the kids were in day care from a very young age, pupils went to school the whole day... So of course for many of them their whole life changed after 1990: Many of them lost their jobs, their lives became much faster than before, and everything they had believed in was suddenly questioned. They lost their National anthem, their flag, their national identity. Some of my husband's cousins grew up in the GDR (and most of them still live there), and since we're about the same age we talk a lot about it. I don't know if anybody is here who lives in East Germany (maybe Nicky80?) and may have a different point of view on that.

And I guess that's the same in many of the Eastern European countries who deny to host refugees: They have gone through a lot of changes, lost a lot, struggle on their way, and now they fear another change. They don't know any muslims, so they dislike them. But life isn't that easy.

Yesterday I even read a comment of somebody calling it a 'genocide on the German nation because everything here will change so drastically that our way of life will disappear'. I think this person doesn't know what a genocide is... But for me it really shows a fear. What happened if all foreign influences would disappear? If we would live in a bubble like North Corea, separated from the rest of the world? We do have freedom of speech (which even allows people to discuss to shoot refugees on borders), freedom of press and freedom of religion, our internet is not censored, but there are people who believe that our country is a dictatorship and that some don't get enough money. That we first should help our own people before we save and rescue others. I think that helping others doesn't exclude helping our own people - and we do help them. Everybody gets a flat, gets money, medical treatment, nobody has to starve, for their whole life. We have people who never worked, always were on social services. But that's kind of naturally, nothing to talk about - although it's not like that in many other countries. Of course you don't have the right to own a big house or a Porsche if you need social services, and if you want to go the Maldives nobody will support you, but that's not what our taxes are needed for... (And if you are able to save enough money to go to the Maldives you may do so as well.)

For me those right wing parties stoke fears and prejudices... Fears we all have, prejudices we all have. And that's their politics. Nothing else. They use us and also the refugees for their success. And they use desinformation. We have organizations where people with just a low income or those who rely on social services are able to get all sorts of food. The food is collected from supermarkets, bakerys etc. before because they can't sell overripe fruits and vegetables or yesterday's bread. So there was a post on Facebook some months ago that those organizations don't get enough food and since there are more and more people, they only give food to refugees, not to Germans. I guess you can imagine what that caused... So all the organizations had to deny this post and say: 'Look, if there are more people you may not get as much food as before. But everybody who needs it will get it.' They never found out who had posted this.

But those who don't have a lot feared that they would get less because if you need to split the cake the cake doesn't get bigger so the pieces are getting smaller if you need to feed more people...

There are people who think that on New Years Eve hundreds or thousands of women in Cologne were raped by men from Northern Africa which fortunately is not true. A few women were raped, many were sexually abused or were pickpocketed, and that's very bad. But it's not that hundreds were raped...

So for me their policy is a mixture of stoking fear and prejudices, desinformation and also some truth. Of course you can always question many issues. The AfD want to prevent us from TTIP (this trade agreement between the EU and the US), and many people fear this as well. And since the US doesn't allow our politicians to talk about its content, there are many rumors which can't really be invalidated...

I'm actually quite happy that we won't have general elections until September 2017 because I don't know how people would vote for the AfD at the moment... And our government will be challenged on how they managed the refugees crisis. And since we have a Grand coalition of three parties it will get quite nasty, I think. In Austria for example they just had general elections, and just before the election their president made a U-turn on refugees politics and crossed the borders. He lost, and the right-wings won... And I don't know how the border controls are going to work for the upcoming holiday season...

I'm sure that it's getting really interesting and also entertaining... Unfortunately we're dealing with people's lifes, and many seem to forget that...
So I think it doesn't help.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 11:19

Donnamarie wrote:Our biggest problem IMO is reeducating our workforce to be able to thrive in our current U.S. labor environment.  The old manufacturing base is gone. People need new skills to get better paying jobs.

Donna,
that's the issue for every industrial nation.

I started as a trainee nearly 30 years ago (and then went back to school and university) but my work has totally changed since then. And I think that's the same for everybody. Two of my cousins are engine fitters, and when they started working they didn't use computers. Now that's the main focus on their jobs...
My uncles were farmers. One of them recently mentioned that when he was a child - he's 73 now - they were milking the cows by hand. Later they used machines, and now his son uses robots... The cows decide when they want to be milked, the computer analyzes the milk, and if there are signs of an infection, the milk is not used, and the cow is separated from the others. My cousin spends half of his day on his computer, and if there is a malfunction or a sick cow, the roboter calls him on his cell phone...
When you are a car mechanic, you use computers which diagnoze the malfunctions of the car.

In Germany we always had a certain standard on training young people: You usually do a dual training for three years, combine working and going to school. So the standards of the training changed much as well... And I actually think that that's a good system. I still go on courses every once in a while, we also have universities which train you when the laws change. 
The jobs which are gone are those for unskilled workers. For those who have never finished school, have difficulties in learning or don't speak the language properly.

And that's a problem because we will always have those people...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 11:20

I just realized how much I've written today on this issue. I can't believe it!
Sorry for that, guys!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Fri 13 May 2016, 11:30

Carolhathaway, 

I agree, these rights and liberties we now have, haven't been around for that long. And it takes only a few justice decisions to snap them away. People can and will protest, but there will be a lot if unnecessary suffering. 

This abortion ban, which trump said he would put in motion, is so scary, and the ramnificaions would be huge. His other plan of 'monitoring Muslim neighbourhoods' is equally scary. 
And there are many people agreeing with his idiotic plans.

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 13 May 2016, 12:13

I think re training would be good but we also need to have a decent minimum wage raise. People are barely surviving it is sad that you work and can't pay your rent and buy food. Fast food and store workers are to start getting 15 dollars an hour, that sounds great but the reality is the owners of these businesses are going to fire a lot of people and claim they can't afford the money.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 14:22

Fingersandtoes wrote:Carolhathaway, 

I agree, these rights and liberties we now have, haven't been around for that long. And it takes only a few justice decisions to snap them away. People can and will protest, but there will be a lot if unnecessary suffering. 

This abortion ban, which trump said he would put in motion, is so scary, and the ramnificaions would be huge. His other plan of 'monitoring Muslim neighbourhoods' is equally scary. 
And there are many people agreeing with his idiotic plans.
Fingersandtoes,
did Trump say that he would ban abortion? That's frightening IMO, and it has never stopped women from abortions but criminalized them. And of course you could argue that there aren't any unwanted pregnancies eue to birth control, but as you all know - it doesn't always work. And I think that every woman has the right to decide if she wants to give birth to a child or not - but I don't see it as a way of birth control. I once read an interview with women and the reasons for their abortions, and one of them mentioned that it was her third one and that she always forgot about birth control. That really shocked me because three unwanted pregnancies seem quite much for me.
On the other hand I have two handicapped kuds and I know that many women have abortions when they discover by prenatal diagnostics that their kids will be handicapped. I understand every woman who decides that and am sure that this decision is not easy. I'm happy that I never had to make a decision...

But I'm sure if men would get pregnant abortion would be a human right...

His other plan to monitor muslim neighborhoods: Excuse me but do you know who's a muslim? Is everybody with a certain ethnic background a muslim? Is every mosque watched, and every visitor as well? Can you really prohibit assassinations by guarding everybody who's suspicious? And is it right to put a whole religion under a universal suspicion? And what if the next assassins are Buddhists or Christians? Then we'll have George Orwell's '1984'...

There is no absolute safety in life...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Fri 13 May 2016, 14:28

^
He did. And sadly there's no much news coverage of this. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 May 2016, 14:30

Carolhathaway - I love your posts! Our media coverage of international news is fairly superficial and is presented mostly from the perspective of how it affects the US. We don't often get an in-depth perspective of someone from another country. You give us that perspective. You open a window to the rest of the world for us, and I appreciate it. I learn a lot from you - especially that we are more the same than we are different.

Please keep posting! Thumbs up!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 14:44

Lizzy,
your kast post was really nice! Thank you so much for that!

Trump gets more attention than the other candidates in the German medias which leads to the result that many people here don't know anything about the other Republican candidates. Maybe about Jeb Bush "Please, not Bush 3rd!" but that's it.
So I think the medias here made the same mistakes as yozrs: They talked so much about Trump and his recent comments that the others weren't present in people's (e.g. voters) minds...

On the Democratic side our medias mostly reported about Hillary, and if I wasn't reading on COH I wouldn't know much about Sanders. But our medias aren't as important as yours for your elections and the shaping of public opinion; we don't vote in the US...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 13 May 2016, 14:48

Re: Trump's asinine proposal to ban Muslims from entering the country. Extending his ridiculous 'logic,' would he also ban young white men from schools? After all, as a group, they are the ones doing the mass shootings.

My older sister is Muslim. She lives in a $450,000 condo in Maryland, surrounded by homes in the $600K- $2M range, where a sizable number of her neighbors are naturalized citizens who are professionals and government workers and teachers, and who happen to be Muslim. Is Trump going to send troops in to "monitor" that neighborhood? 

Why has he not had to explain this nonsense on the myriad of shows he does every day? The pundits just let him spew this vile rhetoric without challenge, when the man doesn't even have a fifth grade grasp of civics. The Republicans have gotten exactly what they deserve, and the press is complicit on a daily basis.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 May 2016, 14:53

Way2Old - Does the media handling of Trump surprise you? They created a monster and now they're scared to death he'll turn on them.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 13 May 2016, 15:05

No, it doesn't surprise me. Which is in itself a truly tragic statement.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 13 May 2016, 15:20

What about the people supporting this hateful man? I agree the media has propped up Trump and gotten away with saturating the airwaves with his rambling rhetoric and not calling him out. But people who support him. They carry a lot of the responsibility of putting this man almost in the White House. They're not cattle. They have brains. Use them! This man is a train wreck! Even if his racism and bigotry appeal to you the man has absolutely no policy on anything. He knows nothing about foreign policy or even the names of our major agencies of our government.

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Fri 13 May 2016, 15:33

Louis CK on Trump below.  I agree that there is something almost pathological about his need to respond to criticism, his inability to let personal slights go and his braggadocio:

Trump is a messed up guy with a hole in his heart that he tries to fill with money and attention. He can never ever have enough of either and he'll never stop trying. He's sick. Which makes him really really interesting. And he pulls you towards him which somehow feels good or fascinatingly bad. He's not a monster. He's a sad man. But all this makes him horribly dangerous if he becomes president. Give him another TV show. Let him pay to put his name on buildings. But please stop voting for him. 

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Fri 13 May 2016, 15:37

Donnamarie wrote:What about the people supporting this hateful man?  I agree the media has propped up Trump and gotten away with saturating the airwaves with his rambling rhetoric and not calling  him out.  But people who support him.  They carry a lot of the responsibility of putting this man almost in the White House.  They're not cattle.  They have brains.  Use them!  This man is a train wreck!  Even if his racism and bigotry appeal to you the man has absolutely no policy on anything.  He knows nothing about foreign policy or even the names of our major agencies of our government.  

I agree Donna, but most of those voters won't do the work.  They vote on one issue or they listen to the sound bites and never look any further.  That is why the onus is on the media to show clearly that the emperor has no clothes!!  And don't get me started on those Republics repudiating their own stated principles to support him.  I hope that dogs them for years and years.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 13 May 2016, 15:52

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of our culture of personality and social media saturation is that it's too easy for the most artful media manipulators to dictate the dialogue, especially when the audience has easy hot buttons to push. And when those buttons are constantly engaged, there's no thinking going on.

The other thing is that people now assume that because they have more 'information' available to them, they also know the intricacies of leadership, and that anybody can do it. How else to explain supporting a man whose only skill is name-calling for the highest office in the country? It doesn't matter that he has made proposals for national security that the military would refuse to follow. It doesn't matter that he can't identify the key players on the international scene, much less discuss matters of international importance. It doesn't matter that he lies on an almost daily basis and refuses to be accountable for the social chaos he inspires?

It's all show, with a fan-based audience, for the highest ratings, and Trump is the host.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 13 May 2016, 15:58

fava wrote:Louis CK on Trump below.  I agree that there is something almost pathological about his need to respond to criticism, his inability to let personal slights go and his braggadocio:

Trump is a messed up guy with a hole in his heart that he tries to fill with money and attention. He can never ever have enough of either and he'll never stop trying. He's sick. Which makes him really really interesting. And he pulls you towards him which somehow feels good or fascinatingly bad. He's not a monster. He's a sad man. But all this makes him horribly dangerous if he becomes president. Give him another TV show. Let him pay to put his name on buildings. But please stop voting for him. 

I don't think anyone has said it better.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 13 May 2016, 16:04

fava, speaking of Republicans, last night on a political talk show a republican representative from Tennessee, a woman, was asked by the host why she is supporting Trump. She gave the usual lame answer. Then the host played the ad where women actually use the quotes of comments Trump has said about women. All of them incredibly sexist. Then the host asked her how can you support a man who talks about women in that way. She answered in so many words that men have been talking like that for years. Nothing new. Women are used to it. You just ignore it and move on. This is seriously what she said. I was stunned. Stunned. She actually represents the state of Tennessee and accepts this language. How many more women are willing to overlook Trump's divisive comments. I blame the media for sure. But this is why I'm so disappointed in so many Americans right now. People don't stand up for what is right and just in this country that they supposedly love so much. They believe in the Constitution? What BS ......
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 May 2016, 17:28

Donna,
that would shock me as well. I don't get used to sexist comments - and I certainly wouldn't accept that.
And I think this lady from Tennessee would see it differently and talk differently if a democratic candidate would say the same...

I sometimes feel embarrassed when people in Germany call our chancellor 'Mutti Merkel' which is 'Mom Merkel' because that sounds condescendent to me. Nobody had called one of our previous chancellors (who were all male) 'Daddy ...

So if politics is just a show - who would really lead the country? And if Trump changes his mind every five minutes how can he lead the US without ruining it within one year or starting WW III?

There are quite a few antagonism in his views:
- A few months ago he was against a minimum wage - now he wants it but wants to leave it to the federal states
- He wants the rich peolle to pay more taxes but wants to lower the highest tax rate from 39,6 % to 25 %
- He wants to build a wall at the Mexican border and wants Mexico to pay for it. I wonder how he wants to fulfill that?
-He said he admires Putin but wants to stay away from him.
- He's lying on so many issues (e.g. connection between Cruz and Lee Harvey Oswald) but his fans don't seem to notice that they are lies...
He' talking of bringing back the 'good old times' which - for most of us - never existed.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Fri 13 May 2016, 17:50

He also tweets incorrect info all the time, and when called out on it his reply is that he found it on the internet. Unfortunately there are so many ignorant, bigoted and racist people, and trump has given the the 'right' to voice their horrible views out loud. 

From outside of USA it's terrifying to see this all happening, because USA's presidential campaign affects the rest of the world so much. And with his lack of any knowledge in the international affairs, diplomacy and his fear mongering it doesn't look good at all.

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 13 May 2016, 18:34

carol and Fingersandtoes toes, yes and yes!

carol, your comment about bring back the good old times. Trump wants to make American great again. Our country is great but as with most countries we are a work in progress. Your earlier comments about how people always think the past was better than the present have very short memories. Nothing in our world has ever been idyllic. Individual rights, equal rights, civil rights, medical and technological advances, a democratic society that respects all people ... those advances have taken decades and decades of struggle and hard work to get to the point which we are at now.

Fingersandtoes, the idea that bigots, racists and misogynists now have a legitimate voice in Trump boggles my mind. I use the term "legitimate" loosely but only because Trump is actually the Republican nominee for President of the U.S.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 19 May 2016, 10:44

One thing just came to my mind:

I read many comments on George after his appearence in Cannes and his marks about Trump never becoming president. Many people critizised him for saying that (to say it in a nice way since many comments are just... I can't even describe it) and calling others to boycott his movies - as usual.

Why are people so angry about that? Why do they care at all? There are others speaking out against Trump, Angelina Jolie did it as well. Others like her father spoke for Trump. Why aren't they critizised in the same way?
Why do they care at all what some celebrities say? Do people really vote for Hillary because George Clooney says she's the best one? I can't actually believe that...

Other people discuss as well - we do it here - and aren't bashed for it. I read some quite 'not so nice' comments on Amal's Style Blog because she also spoke out against Trump. 'She should shut up because she doesn't live in the US.' 'She shouldn't say anything because she's not American.' 'She doesn't have the same problems as we have because she married a rich man.'
I read a comment after George's comment in Cannes, somebody wrote: 'I'm just waiting that one of my muslim neighbors starts to kill all of us.' Do people really feel that? I wasn't aware that Trump and others really created such an atmosphere of fear...
One of my cousins said she's afraid that one of her kids could get a muslim teacher. I asked her why she was afraid of that and if she knew about the religion of all the teachers who teach her kids already and have in the past. Plus every coach who trains them at the Sports Club. Plus all their friends and their parents. She just stared at me and replied 'No'. So I asked her why she was afraid who might teach them at school. Of course teachers influence their pupils - so do parents, friends and coaches. And until you don't ban Muslims, Jehohva's Witnesses, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists and everybody else who doesn't share your religious opinion from the country, you never know who influences your kids. So that's your job as parents to tell your kids what you believe, and they have to make up their own minds anyway.

Could be the same with political opinions: You can't protect your kids from other people's opinions. Which IMO is a very good thing because everybody should vote...

In Germany it's quite unusual for celebrities to talk about politics and who they support in public which is okay for me as well. Some who did speak about supporting refugees or hosting them were slammed as well. But I do appreciate it when people speak out against racist, religious, homophob or misogynic comments - no matter if it's in the US or in Germany or somewhere else... It somehow seems to become popular not to care about PC, about caring about others...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 19 May 2016, 11:42

George being attacked for his involvement in politics is not new it has been happening for years.

As for Trump I hope that what I'm about to say doesn't offend any one.  Trump pleases the racists in our 

country, all Presidents have to work for all in the country not just white or rich. He also feeds and prays on the

fears that some uneducated have. Him saying all the nonsense he spouts makes them feel better and for some

ridiculous reason they believe he will be allowed to do these things. Having a Black man in power upset a  whole lot of people.

They now want their America back whatever the hell that means last time I checked it was America , with the same problems it's always had.

Trump doesn't help with the racism as his ideas and the people who follow him are allowed to say the nasty things they do. He condones this and this feeds the problem.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 19 May 2016, 12:56

You're so right annemarie about how Trump gives a voice to racists and bigots in our country. It legitimizes their own feelings. It's very disturbing to me. Hillary Clinton is a flawed candidate but it's imperative that she win this election. To send a message that it's not ok to condone these divisive feelings.

As far as public comments about George. i occasionally read them but always regret afterwards because I personally feel the people who bash him and anyone else are cowards. They don't speak articulately and their words just inflame and degrade. It's BS in my opinion. I just read comments this week bashing Julia Roberts. These commenters just like thinking they know everything and bring attention to themselves. There hardly is ever any constructive criticism. I will sometimes read comments from people regarding our political candidates. It's the same kind of broadbrush analysis using rhetoric that is pretty nasty and almost hateful. So I try to stay away from all this mindless chatter.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 19 May 2016, 13:44

Donna,
it was one of my new-years resolutions not to read comments anymore...
After a short time I realized that I didn't understand why certain issues blasted and got more and more coverage, which was because it was widely discussed on social medias, and Informations (and rumors as well Rolling Eyes) were added there. So I broke that resolution...
But I also regret it afterwards.

By the way: I forgot to name jews in my last post, and I'm sure some other religions as well. Didn't want to leave them out, sorry folks!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 19 May 2016, 13:57

Trump has been playing to the fears of the less educated, under-employed segment of our population who are afraid of what the future holds for them. He hits all the right buttons to get their support. It's sad, but it also speaks to how badly we educate our citizens about our government and the responsibilities of living in a democracy.

What I find really disturbing are the educated, supposedly intelligent people supporting Trump. They think they know what he's doing - that his behavior throughout the campaign has been an act to get votes and when (God forbid!) he gets elected he'll be a totally different person. That alone should eliminate him as a candidate. He has been proven to be a liar, uninformed and completely unreliable as to what his policies will be. He's a blowhard and a bully. He has always been and will always be exactly what he has shown us this past year. That anyone with a functioning brain can support him truly boggles the mind!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 19 May 2016, 15:21

Lizzy,
that works in many other countries as well. The Philippines just elected a president who plans to reintroduce death panalty in his country, makes jokes about rape victims, calls the pope 'son of a wh..e' (and the Philippines are a very catholic country). In his hometown where he was the mayor, hundreds of petty criminals were killed. Human rights activists think that death squads killed them who were at least tolerated by the mayor. The other candidate wanted to improve the health care and help socially deprived families.

I've already talked about Germany, it's worse in France with the Front National, it's the same in many other countries. Election campaigns with slogans 'Let's make America great again!' or 'It can't get worse' seem to work, even when there's no real program. I don't understand the people who vote for them...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Sat 21 May 2016, 09:07

Well in democracy this is how it is, we do not understand how and why other people vote. 

In totalitarian systems people know, because there are no options.
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 21 May 2016, 09:22

Carla,
you nailed it!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 21 May 2016, 14:43

I just read an article about Austria's presidential elections on Sunday. The front runner is a far right populist Norbert Hofer. His comments about building a fence on its southern border to keep Muslims out, fear of globalization and trade agreements echo much of what Trump is running on. People who are disillusioned with politics seem to be gravitating to these extremist political points of view. Again it seems to be about fear.
carolhathaway, you have been talking about this for a few months. How these far right groups are gaining in popularity throughout Europe.

Yep Carla. That is what democracy is all about. The freedom to voice your own opinion and express that opinion with your vote no matter who you are or what you believe.

Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 21 May 2016, 17:05

Donna,
yes, that's what really worries me.
And Austria - like Germany - has just borders to other EU countries. So building up fences at the borders means the end of the Schengen Agreement...

This would make a real change in travelling. My kids don't know borders and border controls. We usually go to Denmark on our summer holiday, and you just realize that you've crossed a border because there are signs. When we went to Britain last year it was the first time that they actually needed to show their passports, that was in Calais, and we had crossed three borders before,,,

But I think that's just unconvenient for us. For the economy it would mean a real damage because trucks transport goods all around Europe (maybe it would at least stop transporting animals for thousands of miles).

Last edited by carolhathaway on Sat 21 May 2016, 17:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 21 May 2016, 20:20

I'm really not sure what is wrong with border controls to be honest. 

It's not long since we had them. Part of the reason I believe we were told that they were coming down was that it was simply more convenient for businessmen because they were bored with waiting and being held up from getting to meetings! I include my own other half in that view.

That seems to me to be a trivial reason now. But I regard it as a good legal framework and it might well have prevented many of the  disasters we have seen recently.......checks and balances are a good thing...even if they may cost more to implement.........

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 21 May 2016, 22:35

PAN,
where do you live?

We in Germany are surrounded by other countries who are members of the Schengen Agreement. I live just a few miles away from a motorway which goes from Northern Denmark to Southern Italy. There's always a lot of traffic from many european countries, cars as much as trucks. So of course there's an advantage not just for businessmen but also for freight traffic (although there's still customs).
It's an advantage for companies with factories in different countries, people are able to live in one country and work in another. 

It started 30 years ago with an agreement between Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg (Schengen I) and was quite successful so was expanded to more countries (Schengen II & III). It's not identic with the EU (Britain for example still has border controls, and Switzerland and Norway are no members of the EU but of Schengen). But this agreement also contained to strength the external frontiers.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next