George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference

+9
fava
Nicky80
Donnamarie
it's me
carolhathaway
party animal - not!
hathaross
Katiedot
Had.e6
13 posters

Go down

George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference Empty George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference

Post by Had.e6 Thu 11 Feb 2016, 15:33

Yes and a woman asked George about the Refuges and he get upset , I think the site will post the video soon .
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Had.e6 on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 15:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posted the website link)
Had.e6
Had.e6
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference Empty Re: George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference

Post by Katiedot Thu 11 Feb 2016, 17:10

Berlin: George Clooney Snaps at Reporter Over Refugee Activism

7:29 AM PST 2/11/2016  by  Etan Vlessing  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney

"I spend a lot of time working on these things, and it's an odd thing to have someone stand up and say, 'What do you do?'" the actor and activist noted at a 'Hail Caesar' press conference.

George Clooney on Thursday lost his cool at a reporter in Berlin when asked to detail what the actor and activist was doing, beyond making movies, to ease Europe's ongoing refugee crisis.

"I spend a lot of time working on these things, and it's an odd thing to have someone stand up and say, 'What do you do?' That's fine, knock yourself out," an annoyed Clooney shot back during a Berlin Film Festival press conference to promote his latest movie, Hail Caesar!. "I have gone to places that are very dangerous and I work a lot on these things."

The actor said he is meeting Friday with German chancellor Angela Merkel and some recently-arrived refugees to highlight the issue. “I’d like to know what you are doing to help the situation?” Clooney at one point asked the Mexican journalist.

The Hollywood actor, who is accompanied in Berlin by wife Amal Clooney, in 2006 sparked global interest in Sudan's Darfur crisis with a visit to that war-torn country. The Coen brothers and the cast of Hail Caesar!, including Channing Tatum, Josh Brolin and Tilda Swinton, are in Berlin to promote their homage to Hollywood's golden age just as Germany is consumed in debate over the country taking around one million refugees from a war-torn Middle East, the most of any European country.

Read More When George Clooney Lost His Cool Over a Bad Review at Berlin
Joel Coen, co-director along with brother Ethan Coen of Hail Caesar!, told the refugee-focused festival that the timely issue wasn't likely to figure in any of their movies any time soon. "You're right — it's a very important issue," Coen said when asked whether he'd ever, as a celebrity director, make a movie about how people become refugees.
"It's something I'd be very interested to see movies address. ... But it's absurd to say that anyone who happens to be in public life or in some creative endeavor, to point a finger at them, and say, 'You should be telling this particular story,'" Coen added, noting that Hollywood didn't just make subject movies because they were politically-important, it needed the right creative vehicle.
"It's a misunderstanding of how stories get written and made. Are those stories important? Yes. Does it make sense to say, you're a public figure, tell these stories, why aren't you telling them? It's a funny question, frankly," he told a reporter.
Clooney also turned aside a request by another reporter to see a sequel to his 2005 thriller Syriana produced. "There's a lot that has gone wrong, and we all know there's a lot of conversations that should be had and continue to be had," he conceded, before insisting the news media was best placed right now to address the European refugee issue.
"The unfortunate thing about the film community is we react to situations much more than we lead the way," Clooney said. News event happen, scripts are written and movies aren't made for a couple of years, he pointed out.
"I've often struggled to make a film about Sudan, about Darfur, a subject that's very close to me. But I haven't been able to find the proper script," he told the press conference.

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference Empty Re: George Clooney snaps at reporter at Berlin Film Fest press conference

Post by Katiedot Thu 11 Feb 2016, 20:37

This story's really making the rounds:

When Clooney was asked about Syrian refugees

2016 Getty Images
George Clooney attends the 'Hail, Caesar!' premiere during the 66th Berlinale International Film Festival Berlin in Berlin on Thursday.

Actor seemingly loses cool at 66th Berlinale where Coen Brothers’s Hail, Caesar! was the opening film.

There were signs in the press conference room that something big, something international was afoot as we waited for the cast and crew of Hail, Caesar!, the Coen Brothers comedy that opened the 66th Berlinale.

“Hail Berlinale! Hail Caesar!”, joked the moderator Anatol Weber, as he introduced Channing Tatum, George Clooney, Josh Brolin, Ethan and Joel Coen, Alden Ehrenreich and Tilda Swinton, who got the loudest applause. The accepted etiquette in these events is that you ask nothing terribly personal or provocative and they, in turn, give the impression of letting you past that velvet rope, into their private circle of celebrities.
And for a while, this script was faithfully followed.

There were a few serious questions too, but nothing too serious. Someone asked if the Coens were nostalgic about the era depicted in the film, which is set in Hollywood of the 1950s. Joel said, “It can’t be nostalgia, for we weren’t there.” He said it was more affection, admiration. “But we’re not sure how we’d have functioned in that environment.”

Then, it was back to Clooney, “Have you ever seen a Russian communist?” He replied, “Am I looking at one right now?” The question had to do with his role in the film, where his character becomes interested in Communist teachings.

By then, everyone was resigned to the fact that this was more or less a Clooney show. The actor was asked if he’d make a sequel to Syriana, the Oscar-winning film on petroleum politics that he produced. He said, “There is a lot wrong with the world, as we all know. [But] as filmmakers, we react to events. We don’t lead the way. The film happens years after the news story breaks. And you need a good story, good characters.”

He spoke of his humanitarian work in Darfur and how he’d like to make a film around the conflict. “But we haven’t found the proper script yet.” He said he was meeting Angela Merkel the next day.

After the bonhomie

Finally, a journalist from Mexico broke through the bonhomie. Referring to the Syria refugee crisis, which she called a “human catastrophe”, she asked what Clooney, as a public figure, intended to do. To everyone’s surprise, he looked at her and said, “What is it specifically that you have done for refugees?” The woman behind me muttered, “Brutal!” But the journalist was unfazed.

She went on to explain that she worked with an organisation that made toys for children and helps refugees learn German. Clooney was in no mood to back down. “Those are the people you are working with. I asked what you specifically were doing?”

He had a smile on, and yet, for a minute, we got a glimpse of a cracked facade. It was left to Joel Coen to cool things down.

“It’s absurd to say that anyone in public life or the creative world should be telling this particular story.” A question about Donald Trump brought the script back on track. “He’s a strange phenomenon,” Joel said. “It’s surreal.” Everyone laughed.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 11 Feb 2016, 20:39

George Clooney, Coens Grilled On Political Issues At Heated ‘Hail, Caesar!’ Panel – Berlin
by Nancy Tartaglione  February 11, 2016 11:47am

The Coen brothers, George Clooney and much of the Hail, Caesar! crew hit town today ahead of the film’s opening duties which officially kick off the Berlin Film Festival tonight. Clooney was here a few years ago with another ensemble piece, Monuments Men, and can be relied upon as a cut-up during these press events. Today was no different, although the proceedings also took a very serious turn.

Clooney, who is known for his humanitarian work in Darfur — and is married to a human rights attorney — was confusingly grilled by a member of the press corps who wanted to know what “concrete” things he was doing to help with the current refugee crisis.

The actor had already noted he has a sit-down with German Chancellor Angela Merkel tomorrow to “ask what we can help with.” But he visibly bristled when the journalist insisted. He countered, “I spend a lot of time working on these things, so it’s odd to have someone stand up and say, ‘So, what do you do?’” He asked the woman, “What is it specifically that you have done for the refugees?”

The Coens were similarly questioned with Joel saying, “It’s a very important issue that I would be very interested to see movies address.” Both Coens were co-Presidents of the Cannes Film Festival jury last May and Joel noted, “The film that got the Palme d’Or was about refugees (Jacques Audiard’s Dheepan) that we liked a lot. It had a lot to contribute to that discussion. But it’s absurd to say, if I may say so, that anyone who happens to be in public life, to point to a figure and say, ‘You should be telling this particular story.’ It’s a misunderstanding of how stories get written and made.”
Another journalist, who came with a heartfelt plea and a Picasso poster dedicated to the actor, wondered if Clooney would ever make Syriana 2 “because we have so much war.”

Clooney replied, “It would be tricky” to do a sequel, but “there is a lot that has gone wrong as we all know and a lot of conversations being had and that should continue to be had, not just in the film community. Unfortunately, the thing in the film community is that we react to situations rather than lead the way. News stories happen and it’s a couple of years before you make a story about it. I’ve often struggled with the idea of trying to find ways to make a film about Sudan and Darfur, but I haven’t been able to find the proper script. I think those stories are best told now in the news media. They’re not told enough, certainly in our country. It’s a political period in our country so we’re not talking enough about things that are going on around the world.”
He told the man who asked about Syriana, “It’s hard to find a good script for anything and you don’t want to do it badly because you only get one chance. I appreciate the request and it certainly doesn’t fall on deaf ears.”

There was also some time for fun, however. Clooney said, “I’ve done four films (with the Coens) and every time they send me a script, I’m always a knucklehead.” Of his part in Burn After Reading, he said, the role was “the biggest jackass in the world with a sex toy in the basement.” The Coens, he recounted, told him they wrote the part with him in mind. “I have greatly enjoyed how much they make fun of me.” But, he said, conspiratorially, “They’re not really brothers. It’s all bulls***. They’re first cousins.”

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 11 Feb 2016, 21:51

Just had a chance to watch this - and quite honestly  George was extremely controlled in his response, and certainly didn't snap.

Considering his contribution to all things charity and the numbers of hours per day he puts in in effort - probably more now he has legal advice by his side and learning more every day - I'm astonished that he stayed so calm!

Oh, and I'm delighted that the Coens joined in the debate.......

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Thu 11 Feb 2016, 23:00

The video: 

hathaross
hathaross
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Thu 11 Feb 2016, 23:05

Bang!!!  10 out of 10
hathaross
hathaross

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 11 Feb 2016, 23:34

Thanks Hathaross!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 12 Feb 2016, 06:56

I think he nailed it!

His reaction was very controlled and he didn't explain himself as well - which he doesn't need to of course. 
So for me he perfectly turned the table on her because it is the medias that have the duty to talk about this refugees crisis and about the fates of single persons, to humanize refugees NOW. To make it clear that it's not about 1,000,000 people who came to Germany last year but about people who had to leave their country because their hometowns were bombed, because they had done political or journalistic work against their governments or wimply because they were starving at home, didn't know how to feed their families. Some of our politicians called it a 'refugees flood' or 'invasion of refugees' which of course causes fear because a flood or invasion always implies danger and violence.

Last edited by carolhathaway on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 06:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:09

He was GREAT

IMO
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 12 Feb 2016, 14:35

He was great.  He did nail it.  A slam dunk!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 18:59

Ok I will be the only one here with a different opinion so please don't kill me but here it is.

I don't get why George took it so personal. 

The Mexican Journalists did ask the question to all of them and not to George directly but he jumped on the train first. Also what the journalists wanted to archive is just to ask what do you do as refugees is a big thing in Germany. I don't think she meant it in a negative way like "oh you are famous what do you do like if a famous wouldn't do anything"....That was not her attention.
He could have just said what he has done for Sudan and done. There was no reason get pissy at her.

He was the one who said in this conference he will meet with Merkel to talk about refugees. Obviously it is not far away that a journalists will not take long to ask " what do you do". Fair question after he announced he will meet Merkel.

I think the journalists got slammed for the wrong reason.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:02

In the DM video you don't hear the question from the journalist. 

Here the video again at 41:03 minutes the question will be asked. Whoever wants to see it again. Maybe my perspective is just different

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:11

And also I think what she wanted to ask is that the subject is so important maybe it will help to make a movie about it to bring more attention to that matter as they "are famous people".

Famous people bring more attention to a subject and I think this is what she meant....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:12

To be perfectly honest, I think something was lost in translation here, because to ask the question 'What do you do?' also implies she knows nothing about the people she's interviewing, and if anyone there has a huge profile over a long period of time for his international charity work and bringing a light to difficult situations it's His Nibs. It's as if she had challenged him.

It was just unfortunate phrasing. If she had asked 'What would you do in this situation?' it would be a whole other ball game.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:12

Yeah, he does get pissy at herand I really don't know why.  Maybe he didn't understand her properly?

It seems that this video is edited, but I read elsewhere that George looks at Channing Tatum and mouthes the word 'bitch' at him.  Is that true??
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:15

Mm, I read that in an online comment, because she's answered his question back and persisted by listing all the ways she was helping.

Personally I don't get the impression she had a clue what he actually does day to day for charity. Surprising. Which outlet is she from?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:30

Katiedot wrote:Yeah, he does get pissy at her and I really don't know why.  Maybe he didn't understand her properly?

It seems that this video is edited, but I read elsewhere that George looks at Channing Tatum and mouthes the word 'bitch' at him.  Is that true??

Oh I don't know that. I didn't hear or read it. It's new to me.

party animal - not! wrote:Mm, I read that in an online comment, because she's answered his question back and persisted by listing all the ways she was helping.

I guess it surprised him that she had an answer to his question  Razz

party animal - not! wrote:

Personally I don't get the impression she had a clue what he actually does day to day for charity. Surprising. Which outlet is she from?

But the matter was not George charity. The journalist asked all of them what they do to bring more attention about the refugees and she suggested for example to make a movie. It is not about George charity.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:35

party animal - not! wrote:To be perfectly honest, I think something was lost in translation here, because to ask the question 'What do you do?' 

It was just unfortunate phrasing. If she had asked 'What would you do in this situation?' it would be a whole other ball game.........

Well she didn't just asked "what do you do" if you see the video her question is long as she tries to explain the question how she means it. 

party animal - not! wrote: also implies she knows nothing about the people she's interviewing, and if anyone there has a huge profile over a long period of time for his international charity work and bringing a light to difficult situations it's His Nibs. 

It is not about George charity in the past or his international charity. it is about the refugee subject here in Europe. And to be honest I don't know what they all do for the refugees now in Europe. So it was a great question to ask.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 19:39

Katiedot wrote:Yeah, he does get pissy at herand I really don't know why.  Maybe he didn't understand her properly?

I think this is really what it is. For sure he didn't understand her the way she expressed herself. Maybe he just picked some words and created his own sentence in his mind  Razz Razz
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Sat 13 Feb 2016, 20:11

He could have handled it more gracefully IMO.  Why not mention his concerned and his organization? No wonder he does not want to go into politics!  There you would have to be prepared for more than softball questions.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 14 Feb 2016, 03:13

Nicky80 wrote:
Katiedot wrote:Yeah, he does get pissy at her and I really don't know why.  Maybe he didn't understand her properly?

Oh I don't know that. I didn't hear or read it. It's new to me.

There is a video where it looks as if he is saying "bitch".  But, it's not here, I'm sure.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 14 Feb 2016, 20:15

Can anyone find that video? I'd love to see it for myself before getting annoyed at George for his behaviour.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Sun 14 Feb 2016, 20:26

What, really? 

I saw they were laughing a lot, but maybe because they found funny people pronuntiation, although they are used to it, but maybe they had one of those days when everything seems funny.
hathaross
hathaross

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 14 Feb 2016, 23:45

Nicky, I went back and watched the video you posted (twice!). George might have handled the situation more graciously but I can see why he was annoyed. The reporter directed the question directly at him. When she got up she said it was a question for George Clooney.

Then she proceeded to ask him if he ever thought to "contribute in a concrete way" to solving the problems of the Yuba and the refugees in Europe - as if he had never done anything.

He could have been really rude if he had pursued the issue of her actions. When he asked her what she had done she told him what was being done in her community - not what she herself was doing. He mentioned it and then let it drop.

I agree with PAN. I don't think this woman knows what he's been doing. I also think Joel Coen's answer to her was spot on.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Sun 14 Feb 2016, 23:57

If I remember correctly, the journalist, while talking to George, also said "I'm trying to stay serious"..
I can see why he got upset.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Mon 15 Feb 2016, 00:10

Clearly, that woman doesn´t know what George do or in what he colaborates. Only, as many others, read, hear, pay attention about his Hollywood work. But if you are a journalist and go to interview him and want to ask him about hummanitarian work, at least be sure if he does something or not. 

She asked him that question as if he is another celebrity that only talk but don´t do a thing to help others. Her work is to inform herself and then ask based on the truth. That is why George was angry, she was "telling" him he doesn´t do a thing.

I understand he didn´t want to do these conferences  years ago. He has to deal with such questions ! Must be embarrassing for him and go through that moment in front of everyone, press, public,...
hathaross
hathaross

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 15 Feb 2016, 01:46

I agree with hathaross, Lizzy and PAN.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 15 Feb 2016, 02:11

Katiedot wrote:Can anyone find that video?  I'd love to see it for myself before getting annoyed at George for his behaviour.

at about the 1:22 point:  it looks as if it was cut and spliced.

melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 15 Feb 2016, 06:39

I had watched the life stream of the press conference and there I didn't even think that George was rude, to me it was the right response. HE was asked the question, nobody else. And if you think about, he's the one who's really known for doing an awful lot of things. To me the question also sounded like an allegation to him.
If anybody wants to watch the entire video of the press conference, here's the link:
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 15 Feb 2016, 08:40

I just rewatched the entire video of the press conference (I hadn't seen the whole life stream on Thursday when it was first aired).
After about 20 minutes they were asked about making a movie about the refugees crisis. First the Coen Brothers answered, and then George talked very detailed about how he feels about it, that he's going to meet Angela Merkel the next day to ask what they can do to help, that he thinks a movie should be made about it, about his involvement in Darfur and Sudan / South Sudan and that he hasn't found a script to make a movie about that but thinks it should be made.

After that there were some strange questions to him about being a member of the communist party and about knowing communist agents, the Polish lady flirting with him, so quite some strange questions. Some journalists also spoke English with a very strong accent so the crew didn't understand all of the questions .

And after about 40 minutes this lady came up with the question / allegation that he's not involved in these things and doesn't do anything. If she had just listened to what he had said 20 minutes before she wouldn't have to ask again, not even to research.

So to me he was just annoyed, and I can totally understand why.

Last edited by carolhathaway on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 08:41; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 15 Feb 2016, 09:18

Thanks for finding the video, Melbert. It does look like he said 'what a bitch' although whether he was referring to the reporter or to the press conference as a whole, I don't know.

I still don't think there was any need for him to get so upset by the reporter. It's not her job to know the minutiae about every person she meets and who knows whether she had even been in the press conference from the beginnig.

A better response would have been something like "Oh. Well, I did just explain a few minutes ago about all the things I do and I'm meeting Angela Merkel tomorrow to find out what more I can do."

But hey, esprit d'escalier and all that!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:10

Katiedot wrote:Thanks for finding the video, Melbert.  It does look like he said 'what a bitch' although whether he was referring to the reporter or to the press conference as a whole, I don't know.

I still don't think there was any need for him to get so upset by the reporter.  It's not her job to know the minutiae about every person she meets and who knows whether she had even been in the press conference from the beginnig.

A better response would have been something like "Oh.  Well, I did just explain a few minutes ago about all the things I do and I'm meeting Angela Merkel tomorrow to find out what more I can do."
Katie,
I agree with you that that had been a better answer. But even our Gorgeous George is just human, and I really understand that after about 30 minutes of sometimes really strange questions - most of them addressed to him - and those you could hardly understand, there might be a point where he just get pi..ed off.

I don't know if this reporter was there from the beginning of the press conference, but there's a daily report of everything that happens at the Berlinale, and the reporter who does it didn't get to the press conference because it was already crowded before it started, so he and many others had to wait outside and watched the press conference on a big monitor. So I guess this reporter was there from the beginning because otherwise she won't have been allowed to get into the room. Just my guess.

I also understood the question as an affront addressed to George, and when you do this, you have to prepare yourself before attacking somebody. But maybe it wasn't meant as one. I don't know how much the reporter actually understood what was said at the press conference, and although George speaks a very clear American English (for me at least), it might not be easy to follow everything that's been said there. And maybe she had prepared this question way ahead because it was a burning issue to her and wanted to ask that question, no matter what had been said before.
We were neither inside her head nor in George's, don't know her intention nor his.

Last edited by carolhathaway on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text, Spelling)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:10

As has been said George is human and gets pissed like everyone else . As to what he was referring to with the bitch comment to be fair it could have been anything.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:52

Had a look at the press conference again, and I've come to the conclusion that it was a storm in a teacup, and a useful headline to get a few more column inches that was taken out of context. It all seemed pretty good humoured, altho the long winded question from the other reporter would probably try the patience of some!

And I'm pretty certain that the question was asked (of George, the Coens and Josh Brolin too) from a local perspective. 

So when the reporter concerned said that they were teaching families to speak German in her town  and helping them at a local level she didn't necessarily appreciate that George (and many other actors) doing so much at a global level so that they can use the leverage that they all have for good.

Wonder if she's aware of:

(pretty amazing blog worth a look at....)

and this which NOOW are funding:

and this piece which sums up his views

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Mon 15 Feb 2016, 13:03

Channing said it too, before George. Two men pissed by a question or the entire conference.
hathaross
hathaross

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 14:00

carolhathaway wrote:

I also understood the question as an affront addressed to George, and when you do this, you have to prepare yourself before attacking somebody. But maybe it wasn't meant as one. 

The journalist was not attacking anybody. She asked her question with a normal tone of voice and no verbal attack.  Wink
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 14:09

party animal - not! wrote:

So when the reporter concerned said that they were teaching families to speak German in her town  and helping them at a local level she didn't necessarily appreciate that George (and many other actors) doing so much at a global level so that they can use the leverage that they all have for good.

I think we can't say she didn't appreciate it. 
I'm sure she appreciates it. But the global level didn't matter for the Journalist (or maybe she didn't really know) as she wanted to ask specific about the refugees who are coming to Europe. 
And George knew he couldn't answer that that's why he probably got pissy. I don't understand why he didn't just mention the meeting with Merkel again. Would have been so easy.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 15 Feb 2016, 14:59

Nicky,
I didn't mean that she was shouting at him or anything like this. To me it sounded like an allegation but maybe that's just my impression...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 18:55

No worries we all got different impressions and opinions Very Happy it makes every discussion so lively  Hello!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 15 Feb 2016, 19:39

I just watched the whole press conference.  
IMO much do do about not much.  George did seem a bit miffed about the reporter's question.  Yes he could have responded differently.  And in a perfect world ....  But he had a reason why he responded a bit defensively.   IMO I think he didn't feel like he needed to explain his humanitarian work after speaking to it earlier in the press conference.  And the reporter  does bear some responsibility.  And when George encouraged the reporter to expand on what those in her community were doing he seemed fine and accepting of her answer.  Then everyone moved on.  

Some of the questions asked were really odd.  And language was definitely an issue.  But there were a number of questions about the movie itself.  George did a great job of  keeping the press conference lively and inclusive of all the actors on stage.  The time that was spent discussing his involvement with the refugee issue was minimal.  More time was spent with the Coens discussing Canne and the film that won there.  

The Coen Brothers are great at what they do but not as animated or articulate in this type of venue.  At least in this press conference.  I think George helped to keep the q&a lively and engaging.  The  Coens are lucky to have had him on stage.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Had.e6 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 14:38

Yes absoulotly , I watched the Confo press , and George helped a lot . Most of the time it seemed to me as if everyone is tired and George was joking and answering  like if he was making sure of the Conference success .
Had.e6
Had.e6
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Had.e6 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 14:45

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] #Berlinale via Berlinale
Here is another Video
Had.e6
Had.e6
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Feb 2016, 18:46

That is one brilliant video! It shows you exactly what it was like in terms of timing and place.

Thank you, Had..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Had.e6 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 19:48

You are Welcome I love you
Had.e6
Had.e6
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down