George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC

+13
DoubleZoe
Alisonfan
Hebe
Sevens
LizzyNY
annemarie
fava
PigPen
melbert
Tulips
party animal - not!
Donnamarie
carolhathaway
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 Empty Re: TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC

Post by annemarie Sun 17 Jan 2016, 00:06

I think it is a big assumption that Amal and her partner would tell this man to not go back. He is grown if he chooses not to go back I think that would be his decision along with his family.
 I think that intelligent fans of George would know that he has nothing to do with Amals career or the outcomes of her cases.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC  - Page 2 Empty Re: TV interview with Amal Clooney on NBC

Post by party animal - not! Sun 17 Jan 2016, 00:52

This is the best article so far:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is happening as a result of Amal Clooney's pressure and all the diplomatic effort worldwide combined including David Cameron's and several visits by Indian and Sri Lankan ministers and an impending visit from Hugo Swire of the Foreign Office whom Amal and Jared Genser also visited.

All the hard work, tv interviews and bad press seem to have worked.

And no doubt once he's in the UK more decisions and advice aplenty from all diplomatic and legal quarters already involved

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 17 Jan 2016, 00:55

Mel - By "shady transaction" do you mean Nashid possibly staying in the UK or the Maldivian government agreeing to release him for surgery right after Amal embarrassed them in the media?

I know if it was me, I'd want to stay in London. After all, who wants to go to jail? But I think if he agreed to go back, he should. I'm guessing he'd still like a prominent role in Maldivian politics - even to return to the presidency - and he can't do that from the UK. I think his followers would feel abandoned and look for someone else to support.

I don't think any of this will hurt George's career. He'll keep making movies just like he always has. Plenty of people don't like his politics, or his wife, or the way he lives his life but he's still one of the biggest stars in the world! If his films don't do as well as they used to I'd put it down to a lot of other factors - not his politics.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Sun 17 Jan 2016, 01:35

melbert wrote:I was wondering the same thing Lizzy.  His wife and children are already in London, and he would have NO reason to go back to the Maldives after his surgery, except for that little pesky "conditions" clause.  If that is their strategy, I wouldn't want them as attorneys.  But, on the other hand, with that kind of "justice" in the Maldives, maybe he'd be better off leaving everything behind and making a new life in the UK.  Amal and George can sponsor him.

Another thought.  With all the "haters" out there (against George and/or Amal), what kind of damage will this somewhat shady transaction do to George's career?  If he's a part of it (or even considered a part of it through his marriage to Amal),  will more of his fans turn against him?  The ones on the fence could abandon him.

Shady not nice to see with George name Sad

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Sun 17 Jan 2016, 01:38

LizzyNY wrote:Mel - By "shady transaction" do you mean Nashid possibly staying in the UK or the Maldivian government agreeing to release him for surgery right after Amal embarrassed them in the media?

I know if it was me, I'd want to stay in London. After all, who wants to go to jail? But I think if he agreed to go back, he should. I'm guessing he'd still like a prominent role in Maldivian politics - even to return to the presidency - and he can't do that from the UK. I think his followers would feel abandoned and look for someone else to support.

I don't think any of this will hurt George's career. He'll keep making movies just like he always has. Plenty of people don't like his politics, or his wife, or the way he lives his life but he's still one of the biggest stars in the world! If his films don't do as well as they used to I'd put it down to a lot of other factors - not his politics.

Amal fight cases.Not shame embarrass? yes no? That not what human right is all about?

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 17 Jan 2016, 04:34

Looks to me that Amal and Mr. Genser are doing their jobs very effectively and as seasoned lawyers they will advise Mr. Nasheed accordingly.  We shouldn't be making any assumptions at this point.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 17 Jan 2016, 04:55

Oh jeeze, I forgot where I was for a moment.  How dare I say anything questionable or negative.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 17 Jan 2016, 11:55

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 17 Jan 2016, 14:52

melbert wrote:Oh jeeze, I forgot where I was for a moment.  How dare I say anything questionable or negative.

melbert, you can say whatever you want to say.  It was my opinion that we shouldn't be making assumptions since we all know so little about the inner workings of the case nor do we know much personally about the man at the center, Nasheed and what he is thinking. 

I posted yesterday that I even wondered what Nasheed might do when he goes to London.  But I wouldn't begin to have, or assume, the answers not knowing what he's thinking or what his lawyers might be advising him to do.

It was my opinion, not an attack or whatever else anyone might have thought of my comment!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 17 Jan 2016, 15:58

We all don't know a lot about the case. We don't know if Nasheed really needs a surgery or not, if his health problems are real or if that's just an excuse. And if it should an excuse we don't know if it's an excuse by his lawyers or by the government of the Maldives. We don't know if he'll return to the Maldives or not, we don't know anything about the conditions in the prison, if they can be compared to a prison in the Western countries. 

We all know that governments and politicians sometimes need an excuse not to lose face. So there could be an arrangement that might say that he is allowed to the UK, will spend a certain time in hospital and then say that he isn't allowed to return to the Maldives to spend 13 years imprisoned due to his health condition and the conditions in prisons there.
If there should be an arrangement like that I wouldn't call it 'shady' but 'diplomacy'.

So the only thing we know is that he's allowed to leave the country for a surgery.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Sun 17 Jan 2016, 16:10

Posters speculate with a positive spin all of the time. Surely there is room for some skeptical speculation?

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 17 Jan 2016, 16:17

Fava,
of course there's place for spectical speculation as there's for positive views. And we can always discuss different our opinions, that's what this forum is about...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 17 Jan 2016, 16:22

Great interview on Meet the Press. She got all the facts in in very quick time - she's defending a journalist in Azerbahjan next.....

Heard her, but no picture. Odd cos I saw President Obama live from the White House beforehand............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleZoe Sun 17 Jan 2016, 16:56

I dont really know how to share or post this.. Hope everyone can see it Smile

Last edited by Katiedot on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 17:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added video)
DoubleZoe
DoubleZoe
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 17 Jan 2016, 17:29

Great work, DoubleZoe. Thank you!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 17 Jan 2016, 17:35

carolhathaway wrote:I guess Nasheed won't return to the Maledives after he had his surgery because he would be imprisoned again. So that's the way the government can concede the claims of the UN, Amnesty International and his lawyers without losing face...
That's actually a very good way of making the situation work.

Donnamarie wrote:  If he doesn't return what will that mean?  Does Nasheed want to continue the fight?  Does he have extended family there who could be in danger if he doesn't return to serve out this sham sentence?  He could never go back to the Maldives.  Is that a sacrifice he would be willing to take?
My best guess is that in no way whatsoever would he want to give up the fight so he'll be back in the Maldives when he can.

melbert wrote:I was wondering the same thing Lizzy.  His wife and children are already in London, and he would have NO reason to go back to the Maldives after his surgery
He's spent most of his political career in prison already, so this isn't anything new to him. Politics is in his blood (he comes from a political family and [I can't be bothered to google this, but I think it was his father or grandfather who was responsible for the Maldives' first ever 'coup', kicking out the then president waaaaay back when] and this is all he knows and all he would ever want to do. Being imprisoned, beaten and tortured (which he already had been in the years before he became president) isn't anything new to him and although I'm sure he wouldn't want to undergo any of it again, if given no choice, he will.

melbert wrote:Another thought.  With all the "haters" out there (against George and/or Amal), what kind of damage will this somewhat shady transaction do to George's career?  If he's a part of it (or even considered a part of it through his marriage to Amal),  will more of his fans turn against him?  The ones on the fence could abandon him.
I'm missing something here? What has been shady about getting the president to be allowed to have surgery?

LizzyNY wrote: I'm guessing he'd still like a prominent role in Maldivian politics - even to return to the presidency - and he can't do that from the UK.
Technically he can't return to the presidency because afer he was imprisoned again, the government made a new law that the president of the country can't have been in jail. [insert facepalm here]
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 17 Jan 2016, 18:03

(Lord, I hate politics!) I saw the "Meet the Press" interview and was disgusted by Chuck Todd's attempt to sensationalize the segment with Amal.

In his promos he said she was "rallying the US against the threat of ISIS", that the Maldives are a "breeding ground for ISIS" and she again used the example that the tourist woman lying on a beach should be aware of a woman possibly being flogged not far away. OMG! The terrorists are coming! Lock up your daughters! Really?! Razz I would have appreciated if they had both toned down the fear mongering. Shit! They sounded like Donald Trump!

Sorry, but my respect for both Amal and Mr. Todd just fell a few notches. He's out to get ratings and she's working for a client. They both seem to believe the end justifies the means.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Sun 17 Jan 2016, 18:11

Lizzy-- I think there are some "breeding grounds" we should be worried about way before the Maldives.  Wouldn't think they would even be in the top 10 given their small overall population.  But shoe horning ISIS into the promos/ conversation does grab more attention--which is what Amal is seeking for her client and Todd for his show.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 17 Jan 2016, 20:32

The Maldives government just put a stipulation on him going to London for surgery.  A close family member MUST stay behind so that he be assured of returning after his surgery.  He has now declined their offer and will not leave to have his surgery.  So either it's not as bad as they've said it was, or it was his true intention of NOT returning.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 17 Jan 2016, 21:45

melbert wrote:The Maldives government just put a stipulation on him going to London for surgery.  A close family member MUST stay behind so that he be assured of returning after his surgery.  He has now declined their offer and will not leave to have his surgery.  So either it's not as bad as they've said it was, or it was his true intention of NOT returning.
Mel,
that's a sort of hostage which was used for instance by the government of the GDR. When scientists or athletes went to western countries for an event or a conference their families had to stay behind to make sure they would return. 

According to skynews that's a kind of blackmailing which is illegal by international affairs, and that his lawyers were never informed about any sort of conditions. And that Nasheed isn't willing to barter somebody else's freedom for his.

So Nasheed might also be willing to sacrifice - or he and his lawyers decided to take full risk and wantfull suspension...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 17 Jan 2016, 22:03

DoubleZoe, thanks for posting the YouTube video.  I watched Meet the Press this morning.  They showed an abbreviated version of the interview.  So it's nice to view the entire one-on-one with Todd.  

I thought it was a great interview.  Amal was very articulate in presenting the facts of the case and what she and her co-counsel hope to achieve.  She handles herself very well in interviews and seems pretty comfortable with questions.

Her representing a woman journalist in Azerbahjan didn't even get into the morning version of the interview. Interesting to hear about that case. 

Todd is terrifically good at political reporting and a good interviewer.  Adding ISIS to his promo doesn't surprise me at all.   Every other news media source does so on tv, print and online when they can.   Amal quoted a legitimate fact (the per capita # of ISIS fighters coming out of the Maldives) to bring up during the interview.  Her use of the fact to help color a picture of the current unstable political climate in that country is certainly worth mentioning.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 17 Jan 2016, 22:13

Here's the Guardian's take on it

So such a statement from the current govt almost certainly means that sanctions could go ahead now........I have a feeling Nasheed must have known there'd be further strings attached. It's like a game of chess but with human pawns..........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 17 Jan 2016, 23:12

fava - Agreed. There are a lot of other places that I think pose more of a terror threat to the US than the Maldives. Hell, our own home-grown idiots scare me a heck of a lot more than ISIS converts half a world away.

Using the ISIS threat in the promos was disingenuous at best. Just because others do it doesn't make it acceptable - at least not to me. It's fear-mongering - not to mention irrelevant to her client's case. IMO irresponsible journalism.

I would have been much more impressed if Amal had stopped Todd from going there - instead of agreeing with him. Yes, she's well-spoken and poised. Yes, she's articulate and seems comfortable in front of the cameras. I just wish she was more of an activist and less of a lawyer.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 17 Jan 2016, 23:26

LizzyNY wrote:fava - Agreed. There are a lot of other places that I think pose more of a terror threat to the US than the Maldives. Hell, our own home-grown idiots scare me a heck of a lot more than ISIS converts half a world away.

Using the ISIS threat in the promos was disingenuous at best. Just because others do it doesn't make it acceptable - at least not to me. It's fear-mongering - not to mention irrelevant to her client's case. IMO irresponsible journalism.

I would have been much more impressed if Amal had stopped Todd from going there - instead of agreeing with him. Yes, she's well-spoken and poised. Yes, she's articulate and seems comfortable in front of the cameras. I just wish she was more of an activist and less of a lawyer.

Lizzy
I could not have said it better....Thank you.....Thumbs up!
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 17 Jan 2016, 23:48

Donnamarie wrote:DoubleZoe, thanks for posting the YouTube video.  I watched Meet the Press this morning.  They showed an abbreviated version of the interview.  So it's nice to view the entire one-on-one with Todd.  

I thought it was a great interview.  Amal was very articulate in presenting the facts of the case and what she and her co-counsel hope to achieve.  She handles herself very well in interviews and seems pretty comfortable with questions.

Her representing a woman journalist in Azerbahjan didn't even get into the morning version of the interview. Interesting to hear about that case. 

Todd is terrifically good at political reporting and a good interviewer.  Adding ISIS to his promo doesn't surprise me at all.   Every other news media source does so on tv, print and online when they can.   Amal quoted a legitimate fact (the per capita # of ISIS fighters coming out of the Maldives) to bring up during the interview.  Her use of the fact to help color a picture of the current unstable political climate in that country is certainly worth mentioning.

With thanks to wikipedia;
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point["

DONNAMARIE,

I don't doubt your admiration for Amal's tactics....but to me they disgust, are immoral, encourage and incite fear and hatred, and have the potential to bring an economy to it's knees....

Consider for a moment living there...consider you daughter a chamber maid, while attending college....your son a manager.....your husband a chef....image the implications of all their jobs vanishing....PLEASE FOR 20 SECONDS IMAGINE.....

Then ask yourself if bringing ISIS into this (WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISIS)... 

WAS THAT THE DECENT THING TO DO?

Maybe it's just me but I truly believe, in this day and age....anything that incites fear or hatred....is plain wrong.... 

Sad Sad Sad

My Nana taught me that if your are not straight in your dealings, you can never project the outcome....
If Nasheed needs surgery, by all means go for it....but this FARCE is beginning to look more and more like a back door job....and a potentially dangerous one at that....imho....

IT IS RAPIDY TURNING INTO "BULLYING *V* BLACKMAILING".....As I said before nothing decent in any of this.....Sad

What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 18 Jan 2016, 00:35

I think that Amal Clooney being an experienced and well connected and respected lawyer makes her an ideal activist.
Her reputation as a lawyer must give her "more clout" 
as an activist.

With regard to "fearmongering" about the threat 
from ISIS.
 I can see there is a real threat to our
freedoms that we take for granted. 
Our fathers and grand fathers made huge sacrifices for us and for future generations so that we can enjoy those freedoms.

Here in UK we are made very aware that some young men and young girls are being converted to a way of life that horrifies me. They have been educated in my country and for reasons which I cannot understand are prepared to leave their families here to go to join a regime that they've been seduced to by others on the Internet.

The way that I see it is that  most people Value Life. 
But the members of ISIS Don't.

That's a Big Threat as far as I'm concerned.
I worry about the future for our children and their children.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Jan 2016, 00:54

Couldn't have put it better myself, Jo.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 18 Jan 2016, 02:09

We have a very strong difference of opinion here.  
WWHS,  I couldn't disagree with you more. But you are right.  I do admire her.

I don't need to defend Amal's tactics.  Or Genser's I should add.  He is the co-counsel. Their work speaks for itself.  

I respect Amal for the work that she does and how she does it.  She is an experienced and very knowledgeable international human rights lawyer.  By taking on the many human rights cases over the years she has become quite the "ideal activist" as Joanna so aptly described in her post.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Jan 2016, 02:32

I suppose we could look at this from another angle. 

If you were employed in that country, would it be better for everybody that nothing is said, only for those that live there to live in ignorance and then realise to late late that they are living under an undemocratic regime?

Or is better to take the stance that Branson and Virgin and any number of international countries both close and not so close are taking?

A similar thing is happening in the UK with the Dorchester group of hotels who are owned by the Sultan of Brunei who rules with sharia law. Many are boycotting them.

You could apply the argument not to tell to all news outlets and journalists about any totalitarian states, and that ultimately would be the end of democracy.

In the end bad news will out and hopefully something better will replace it. Surely that's what we are all hoping for in this world at the moment.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 18 Jan 2016, 03:08

Jo - I realize I didn't make myself clear. The threat from ISIS and all terrorist groups is something we here in the US take very seriously. I didn't mean to imply that we don't and I agree with every word you so eloquently wrote, especially living here in NY. We are made aware every day that we are a target. I just don't think Maldivian terrorists pose more of a threat to democracy than anyone else.

What I objected to was being manipulated. When I said I wish Amal was more activist and less lawyer I was speaking specifically about this interview. I meant I wish she could have stated her case for Nashid's release without trying to scare people into agreeing with her. She didn't need courtroom tricks to make her point. Maybe it's an occupational hazard of being a lawyer. Being a lawyer does give her a bit more clout as an activist, just as being a celebrity now gives her issues more exposure.

I hope they do get sanctions, and I hope they have the desired effect. But I wish Amal hadn't had on her lawyer hat for the interview.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 18 Jan 2016, 03:32

Pan I agree with you, I think Amal simply told what was going on there. I would not want to spend my money going to a country where there is so much discord. 

I think it is fair that tourist know and can make up their minds if they want to support this country.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 18 Jan 2016, 03:59

IMHAO, the sanctions that Amal wants in order to get her client released is on the same level as the Maldives are imposing on him leaving a family member behind if he leaves for surgery.  Playground games, except with bad repercussions all around.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:20

Joanna wrote:With regard to "fearmongering" about the threat 
from ISIS.
 I can see there is a real threat to our
freedoms that we take for granted. 
 Really?  You really believe that the 200 Malivians who went to join ISIS (most of whom are dead now alread) represent a real threat to you personally?  But not the 700+ British citizens who went there?  Not the thousands of French citizens, Belgians, Spaniards etc etc, all of whom - unlike Maldivians who need a visa - can come to Europe any time they want and cross borders into any other European country they want? No, I'm sure you're not, but that's what Amal wants you to think.

You see, that's why I'm against the way that Amal went about getting publicity for this cause.  She dragged in something that's irrelevant to her cause in order to scare people.  She knew that ISIS makes headlines, whereas the political situation in the country wouldn't.  She now has people thinking that the Maldives is a dangerous place to visit and may even be dangerous to other countries.  Not only is that not true, it's not in any way related to her cause of getting the ridiculous conviction for the ex-president overturned.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:04

Thank You Katie...I know I'm not always clear.....but your post is exactly what I wanted to say.....x

You got a greeny.....I can't remember last time I gave one.....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Jan 2016, 13:24

Sorry, Katie. I read Jo's comments completely differently and I thought she was referring to the threat of Daesh and the jihadis worldwide - not just in the Maldives.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 13:44

party animal - not! wrote:Sorry, Katie. I read Jo's comments completely differently and I thought she was referring to the threat of Daesh and the jihadis worldwide - not just in the Maldives.
 Yes, maybe she was, but that wasn't what we were talking about in this thread.  What we were talking about was the fearmongering of Amal by raising the spectre of ISIS in the Maldives to get publicity for her client's case.  I would assume that everyone in this forum would agree that in general ISIS/Daesh are a threat worldwide but that's not the point here.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 18 Jan 2016, 14:43

Amal Clooney Brushes Off Increased Risk of Personal Attacks Due to Her Celebrity: 'It's Not Something That's Worrying'
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Amal Clooney continued her public campaign for her client, the imprisoned former president of the Maldives, on Sunday when she made an appearance on Meet the Press for a special interview with host Chuck Todd.   While the interview mostly focused on Clooney's reasons for defending Mohamed Nasheed, who was charged with terrorism and sentenced to 13 years in prison, Todd also asked Clooney about the recent public attack that Maldives politicians have launched against the human rights lawyer after she took on Nasheed.   Last year, after Clooney took on the case, a politician in the Maldives publicly criticized her, saying she was "making things up" about the country, according to Todd. However, Clooney revealed that the same man is now in jail because, she says, the current president "is now increasingly paranoid and going after members of his own party, having dealt with the opposition in its entirety."   According to Clooney, the same man is now saying that "it's impossible to get a fair trail" in the country, which is the root of her complaint with Nasheed.      When Todd asked if she felt that being the wife of George Clooney put her in more danger, Clooney said that she wasn't concerned about criticism and instead saw her new public profile as a way to draw more attention to her causes.    
"I think that the kind of attack that I got from that vice president is an act of desperation, and it's easy to dispose of," she said. " So it's not something that's worrying. I think, on the other hand, in representing this client and trying to just procure his release and the release of other political prisoners, if people are made aware of the situation in the Maldives, I think that's a good thing."    
Clooney also added that Richard Branson had said he wouldn't visit the tony vacation spot until Nasheed is released and refusing to send people there through Virgin Holidays.   "If you're a woman lying on a beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away another woman is being flogged," Clooney said. "And you might want to find your own way to protest that."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Now, Clooney is hoping to gather inter nation support help free Nasheed. The hard-working lawyer also revealed that she has recently taken on a case representing a female journalist in Azerbaijain who has been imprisoned after, according to Clooney, she "exposed evidence of corruption by the ruling regime."

Last edited by Sevens on Mon 18 Jan 2016, 14:44; edited 1 time in total
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 18 Jan 2016, 14:43

I really had to read and also think about a lot about the interview. In general Amal enunciated very well the important facts of the Nasheed case. To mention ISIS always means to catch attention (which Amal doesn't need, to be honest). And we can always discuss the fact that 200 Maldivians joined ISIS and what it means compared to the number of people who joined ISIS from other countries. I'm sure we all agree that every single fighter / militant is one too much...
In my opinion she pointed out that number and percentage to confirm the fact that the Maldives as a country was islamized. I'm not going to defend her statement, I think that's what it's about: somebody claims something and we have to find out if it's true and / or relevant. That's what happens every day by journalists, politicians and lawyers, often with a different audience. And they interprete the facts in the way which is useful for them.

About Amal's statement that American values are on the stake:
Excuse me if I'm provocate but she said that democracy is dead in the Maldives. So if that's true (and the UN seems to have come to the same conclusion) of course American values are on the stake because the U.S. believe in democracy, and the U.S. have made wars to bring democracy / to defend democracy to other countries (at least that was their official argument).

In Germany we just had the discussion about soccer clubs and where their training camps in winter took place. One went to Qatar where human rights are violated. Another one went to Dubai where they have about the same situation (the 2022 Soccer World Cup will take place there, and so many stadiums and hotels have to be built by workers whose human rights are abused as well). Most of our Major League teams went to Turkey which isn't a very democratic country anymore. But nobody talks about that at the moment because Turkey hosts many refugees who otherwise would come to Europe, and since there aren't many countries who are willing to take refugees we need Turkey...

That's how diplomacy works!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 18 Jan 2016, 14:48

Great post Ccarolhathaway.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Mon 18 Jan 2016, 17:45

Yes, the US believes in democracy.  And the US totally ignores a lack of democracy in many countries if there are strategic interests that favor that position.   Or if such lack has no real effect on US interests one way or another.   "American Values" are at stake in many places around the world and the US does nothing (nor should they in some cases).  So Amal plays the ISIS \ Islam card to make her case more compelling.     I agree with Katie that that is not the real issue in this case.  I also find it a bit disturbing at a time when anti-Islamic, pro-Christian sentiment is an issue in the US election.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Jan 2016, 18:22

Nasheed now on his way to London:

Phones must have been going madly...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Jan 2016, 18:53

This is interesting. 

Looks like Nasheed spoke to John Kerry by phone in Colombo en route to London, who has previously described the current state of democracy in the Maldives as 'unstable'.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Jan 2016, 18:58

Jared Genser's twitter page is helpful

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 18 Jan 2016, 22:09

They are definitely NOT saying that Amal had anything to do with this, or giving her any credit for it.  Everybody else got it done.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 18 Jan 2016, 22:51

Coincidence then.

Diplomacy by the legal team in this instance has included lobbying the Sri Lanka foreign ministry in Colombo and the Indian foreign ministry after the legal visit to the Maldives, then Hugo Swire, UK Foreign Office (who's out there now), David Cameron, the US State department (John Kerry's deputy) etc etc in the last week or ten days...

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 18 Jan 2016, 23:36

The legal team got it done and she is a part of  that so I would say she helped.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 18 Jan 2016, 23:52

I'm saying that everybody else is named, except Amal.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 19 Jan 2016, 00:07

It seems as if her role is to advise on legal issues and deal with the media while the rest of the legal team and their contacts do the heavy lifting. They distract everyone with the pretty lady while the men do the deal-making. Some things never change.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 19 Jan 2016, 00:30

If the reference above is because there was  no mention of Amal in the Yahoo article that's because Genser is the one with the Twitter account.  Genser was quoted from his Twitter account.  Am I missing something here?  Are you guys referring to some other information posted here that I'm missing?  Why would anyone think that Amal is not an integral part of this legal team???
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 19 Jan 2016, 06:20

Donna,
I don't understand it either. I'm just happy that Nasheed gets the medical help he needs. It's the whole team that worked to get this done, and I'm pretty sure that we'll never get to know what has been negociated about requirements closed doors...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next