George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis

+3
carolhathaway
Donnamarie
Nicky80
7 posters

Go down

Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis Empty Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis

Post by Nicky80 Thu 29 Oct 2015, 20:04

Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis

Clooney family members are continuing their human rights activism, this time in response to the severe refugee crisis affecting Europe, as millions pour across its borders from the Middle East and North Africa.
Legendary Cincinnati broadcaster Nick Clooney was invited to speak earlier this month at an international gathering of global leaders, entrepreneurs and celebrities held over two days in Monaco. In recent years, Nick and his son, actor and director George Clooney, have been strong activists for Darfur, where together they filmed a documentary, "A Journey to Darfur," and brought worldwide attention to the crisis of rape and genocide in the civil war-torn African nation.
"Because of the work that George and I did in Africa, something called the Global Citizen Forum called about three months ago and asked me (to speak)," Clooney said on Wednesday. "They held it in response to the greatest displaced persons crisis that we’ve had since the end of World War II, all of them heading directly for Europe."
The Global Citizen Forum, held Oct. 8 and 9 in Monaco, brought together more than 340 delegates to address the crisis. George Clooney did not attend this forum – and in fact, didn't know that his 81-year-old father was invited to be a prominently featured guest speaker until later. But the actor and his wife Amal, a human rights attorney, will also be speaking on the same subject in November, likely in Scotland, Nick Clooney said.
"They put together an enormous number of high-end economists, as well as Kofi Annan (former United Nations secretary-general) Irina Bokova (UNESCO director-general) and Gen. Wesley K. Clark, to come and speak to them," Clooney said. "All of these were the speakers, and I interviewed them all on stage."

In addition, he was the opening and closing speaker of the symposium.
Clooney, who appeared in his son's 2014 World War II film, "The Monuments Men," said he struggled with finding the right message for his audience. After a career before the public as a TV host, anchor and journalist, he said he couldn't shake the feeling that it might be the last time he spoke on a worldwide stage.
"My charge was to let them know that they and the rest of the world had an enormous responsibility toward that person who is coming," he said. "What I tried to do was to take the role of the guy who just a month ago finally knew that he had to leave the only home he’d known for hundreds of generations. He was heading toward some place he didn’t know, he wouldn’t fit and he didn’t know the language or the culture. But there was nothing else he could do. He had to come and some way or another break into that."
Clooney called the U.N. and learned that the average time that a refugee and his family will live in limbo as they transition to a new country is 17 years. Many of the migrants and refugees are fleeing from war and violence in Syria, Afghanistan and Northern Africa. As they throng into Europe, making their way chiefly to Germany and other northern countries, it has become a political and humanitarian crisis of vast proportion.
"I told them, it seems to me, your job here today is to see how much you can take off that 17 years. How much closer can you get than down to zero, and give these people an actual life?" he said. "We’ve done it before. We ourselves (in America) took care of thousands of displaced persons. What are we going to do now?"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis Empty Re: Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis

Post by Nicky80 Thu 29 Oct 2015, 20:22

"As they throng into Europe, making their way chiefly to Germany and other northern countries, it has become a political and humanitarian crisis of vast proportion."

I agree. Everyone gets nuts here. Politicians fight in public and the racist People getting stronger and stronger. It is really scary to watch. Most People are not even racist but scared and as they do not know how to express themselves those idiots have nothing else to do to attend racist demonstrations.

But I must say it is scary so many refugees coming at once. Over 1000 People a day. One day over 20 000 refugees crossed the border to Germany. If the politicians can't do the imigrations process right we will have Ghettos like the turks when they came in after the world war 2. The imigration sucked at the time. I hope they do it better now.

At the Moment refugees staying in refugees camps. and it is a mess. Refugees fighting each other. Afghan fight against Syrian. You think they are Moslems but the culture is so different. If they fight you have a big mop fighting in the camp. Last time nearly 100 Police officers had to come. Children get sexuell abused. This is in the News and fodder for racist. They use it for People who feel scared already.

Also Salafi visit those camps and they try to brain wash those young men refugees for the IS. Now part of our government said yesterday in the News that they can not exclude the fact that some refugees will be brain washed successfully and the risk of attacks in Germany is in few years time more realistic then now.

For this there is no wrong or right. Only opinions. Only the future will Show what will happen.

Sight...I'm done.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis Empty Re: Clooney duo to take on refugee crisis

Post by Donnamarie Thu 29 Oct 2015, 20:59

Doesn't George have a visit planned to Scotland for a fundraising event?  Wonder if this visit will coincide with the speech mentioned above.
Maybe this was a subject of discussion at lunch with Miliband last week.

Nicky, it sounds so awful and sad what is going on in your country and I'm sure in other areas of Europe right now. This is such a huge issue but here in the states it gets reported on for a few days and then it fades to the background.  If and when we start allowing the refugees into our country I hope against hope that we welcome them and find a way to properly assimilate them here without racist and nationalistic backlash.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 29 Oct 2015, 21:15

Nicky,
I agree with most what you say. 
When you think about why refugees try to go to Germany and Northern Europe it is because they don't see a perspective in the countries where they first come to the EU. There are millions of refugees from Syria in Turkey where they don't get asylum but are classified as guests. This means that they are not allowed to work but also don't get any money or support from the turkish government. So after some time they run outvof money and have to decide to either go to Europe or return to Syria. And Greece for instance still has no working government. And no money as well. And Hungary said that they don't want muslims.

Of course there are aggressions within the refugees camps: There are people from different countries, christians and muslims, many are on the run for years, had terrible experiences, and left family members behind. Now they are stuck together in camps, many people live together in one room, have no privacy at all, and refugees from poor european countries like Albania know that they have no chance to stay in Germany because they are economic refugees whereas nearly all refugees from Syria are allowed to stay in Germany because they are political refugees due to the war in their country.
And I absolutely understand refugees who see no perspective for their future, have no jobs and don't know how to feed their family. Under other circumstances they might have a chance to stay as well but since there are so many refugees from war torn countries they don't get the chance.

This is the biggest challenge for the EU and everything the politicians do is to talk and to work against each other. Political leaders from Eastern Europe call it a German problem because our chancellor said that we'll manage to do it. And as I wrote some said that they only want christian refugees. Hungary - the country that turned down border fences in 1989 and helped Germany to unify now builds fences as other countries did as well, that's just unimaginable.
In our area there are a few camps, and as much as the people in these small towns and villages had feared before (and usually were informed just a few days before) as positive are experiences since their arrival. My husband works for the government of one of the towns and their experiences are very positive as well. But I think the problems raise with the number of people in a camp. 
I'm very concerned with the number of demonstrations and right wing people who just have no empathy and can't even imagine that people escape from their countries and what it means to leave everything behind.

That worries me more than the numbers of refugees...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 29 Oct 2015, 22:10

Yes Donnamarie, he does have a visit planned to Scotland where he's speaking at the Business Awards and visiting a place called Social Bite which looks after and employs the homeless,

You can buy a £5 ticket (or more!) to join him for dinner on November 12  - all the money raised goes to Social Bite and Not On Our Watch. So my guess will be that he's talk about Sentry and Sudan.

Nothing online about the global forum Nick Clooney was talking about - could be the two stories got confused with their Clooneys!

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 29 Oct 2015, 22:23

Nicki, it's very interesting to hear about your experiences. 

From what I understand it's becoming very difficult, given the numbers, to ascertain just how many people are economic migrants and who are the refugees, and with so many false Syrian passports in circulation - Frontex's latest guessimate was at least 30,000 - nobody can be too surprised to see the reactions from those who live there if they do not feel secure as to who wishes to join them.

I understand the numbers applying for asylum and being rejected have risen quite dramatically too. It's a great pity that the right checks and balances were not in place across the whole of the EU when this all started.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 29 Oct 2015, 22:59

I wonder what happened to the man who wanted to buy a couple of islands for the refugees to live on. It might not be a great permanent solution but it might give everyone some breathing room while they work things out.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 29 Oct 2015, 23:20

Good question, Lizzy. Lots of well-intentioned people around like, but too many have a couple of islands to offer!

Trouble is, most of those moving through Europe now are intent on going to their country of choice, and would not want to be mobilised in another direction...

Here is the official agency's news today who have started a method that should have been in operation from the very beginning - and today they've managed to process 37 families in a trial run..........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 29 Oct 2015, 23:21

.........oops. should have read 'people around like that, but not too people' etc........sorry

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Thu 29 Oct 2015, 23:41

Many will pleased.George and Amal. Have seen what to happen. Long time just spend spend

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Fri 30 Oct 2015, 10:37

They should let the ppl who want to, adapt the children... at least give them a home, much sooner than it would happen otherwise.  That might help to relieve SOME of the problem.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Oct 2015, 20:31

party animal - not! wrote:.........oops. should have read 'people around like that, but not too people' etc........sorry
Very Happy Gotcha! No problem.

Not Available - I don't think adoption is the answer. These people have been through so much already, I don't see how disrupting their families further is a solution. Adoption, IMO. should only be used as a last resort when a child has no family left.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 30 Oct 2015, 20:50

Not available,
I don't think that adoption is the solution. I just asked my husband (he deals with quite a few refugees in our area) about underaged refugees. He said that most children who come here without their parents are with other family members (grown-up siblings, uncles and aunts etc.) and if not usually there are family members left in their home country - or at least nobody knows if these kids are orphans and have no relatives. So nobody would allow an adoption as long as this isn't clarified.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Sat 31 Oct 2015, 04:26

I meant any orphans, and I imagine there are many. Thats usually the sad truth of so many upsets like this in third world countries.  To get them into either foster care or adaption, like some celebrities are trying to do, with other places where there is too much war and turmoil, or just plain poverty and large orphan rate. 

Not talking about any who have  family members to look out for them. They are the lucky ones. But time will tell, what goes on and how its being handled.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down