George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George asked to reveal his pay in new petition

+6
carolhathaway
Missa
annemarie
LizzyNY
LornaDoone
party animal - not!
10 posters

Go down

George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  Empty George asked to reveal his pay in new petition

Post by party animal - not! Thu 22 Oct 2015, 23:23

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  Empty Re: George asked to reveal his pay in new petition

Post by LornaDoone Fri 23 Oct 2015, 04:35

Petition Asks George Clooney To Help Close Hollywood's Pay Gap

The light recently shed on the gender pay gap in Hollywood is beaming brighter than ever with the circulation of an online petition asking George Clooney to take a stand on the issue. The letter, which already bears more than 12,000 signatures, was specifically written "to urge Mr. Clooney to share his salary with his female co-stars and to insist on that they be paid fairly for their level of experience and expertise."

Petition author Julie Rodriguez told Care2, the online advocacy community where she posted the call to action, that as a human rights advocate, Clooney is responsible for leading the charge in his own industry. She also explained that the petition is about more than just Hollywood paychecks.

"While it’s easy to dismiss the concerns of professionals like Jennifer Lawrence as coming from a place of privilege most of us will never know, the fact is that sexism in Hollywood reflects sexism within our culture in general... Whether a woman is being paid millions less than her coworkers or just losing a few extra dollars an hour, pay inequality is unacceptable in 2015."

We couldn't have said it better ourselves.

This long-overdue conversation started on October 13, when Lawrence penned a strongly-worded essay titled "Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co-Stars?" for Lena Dunham's newsletter Lenny. In it, Lawrence expressed her frustration and fury when she discovered, in the wake of the 2014 Sony hack, that she got paid much less than her male co-stars for American Hustle. ("Fuck that.")

Bradley Cooper, who has starred in several films with Lawrence, including American Hustle, told Reuters last week he thought her statement was "fantastic." Praise is nice, but Cooper also pledged to take action: The actor plans to start partnering with his female co-stars to negotiate fair salaries before beginning production on new films. "Usually you don't talk about the financial stuff, you have people," he said. "But you know what? It's time to start doing that."

So, Cooper's on board. And this new Clooney campaign is all well and good. But how do the odds look that Clooney will actually sign it? We're optimistic, if cautiously so. Back in May, Clooney told BBC radio that he was encouraged by the discussion brought about by the Sony leak. "The one good thing that has come out of it is the conversation in very liberal Hollywood that women aren’t being paid the same," he said. "I think it’s a very good conversation they're starting to have." Now, Mr. Clooney, let's put those words into action.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

George asked to reveal his pay in new petition  Empty Re: George asked to reveal his pay in new petition

Post by LizzyNY Sat 24 Oct 2015, 00:23

I totally get where Julie Rodriguez is coming from and completely agree that there should be pay equity - in all fields, not just entertainment But...I have a couple of quibbles.
     A. What does she mean when she says George should "share his salary with his female co-stars"? That he should tell them what he's making? That he should tie his salary to theirs? That he negotiate for them?  Not for nuthin' but isn't that what they have agents for?
     B. Why does George have to be "responsible for leading the charge in his own industry"? I'm sure he's more than willing to be supportive, but it strikes me as presumptuous of this woman to try to force George to be the standard bearer for her cause. Yes, he is a human rights activist, but he can't lead the fight for every cause.
     I wish them well, but I'm not crazy about their tactics.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 24 Oct 2015, 00:54

George is not the highest paid actor in Hollywood, why not ask the higher paid actors how much they make. This is not a new problem in Hollywood nor has it been a secret. George is one man how is he supposed to change this problem. I don't think what George makes is any bodies business.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 24 Oct 2015, 01:53

The studios count on the culture of...propriety, I suppose, that keeps stars from discussing their salaries and allows them to pay women less.  The Sony leak proved that not only aren't women paid the same as men, they often aren't aware there is a difference in salary.  When Charlize Theron discovered she was being paid less than Tom Hardy for Mad Max (even though she is clearly the lead/biggest name in that film), she demanded a raise and got it.  So the issue isn't that the studios are unwilling to pay women the same if they ask for it, it's that the women are kept in the dark about what their male co-stars are making.

Bradley Cooper offered to help by sharing with his female co-stars how much he is being paid.  That gives them a realistic jumping off point for their own negotiation, and doesn't hurt him at all. It takes people in positions of privilege recognizing that privilege and working against it to create change.  George certainly enjoys the "mayor of Hollywood" reputation he has cultivated, and this is an opportunity to take that goodwill and do some real good with it.  I'm all for people who have benefited from the system being stacked in their favor to either offer to help or explain why they won't.  Especially a guy who once admitted to hiring women for his first production company because he could get away with paying them less than men.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 24 Oct 2015, 02:06

Annemarie - I agree that what George, or anyone else, makes is nobody's business but their own. That said, I don't know if it would bother him too much to let his co-stars know what he makes, though he might not want it to be public knowledge. He often talks about the different ways he gets paid and the kinds of deals he makes to get financing for his pictures - he just doesn't get into the specifics publicly. Maybe he would with his peers.

I can see him supporting this issue and possibly taking a visible role in addressing the matter, but I think it's tacky to try to publicly pressure him into being involved.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 24 Oct 2015, 02:10

But isn't that the very same tactic George uses? There was no reason for him to go public with the letter he sent around to studio heads during the Sony hack, other than to publicly shame/pressure them to get involved. It was the right choice then and it is now. Private pressure gets you nowhere, especially in an industry as image-conscious as show business.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sat 24 Oct 2015, 17:23

Missa,
I tried to find this thread you talked about but gave up at last.

If I remember it right George didn't name the studio heads but just mentioned that he had asked them to sign a petition about the hacking, whereas here he is asked personally and publicly to say how much money he earns. In my understanding this is a huge difference (if I didn't misunderstand it) especially because George often is in different positions. I think he was well paid for 'Tomorrowland' since this is a disney movie. I don't know anything about his salary for 'Hail Caesar', and since he's also producing 'Money Monster' I guess he doesn't get that much for acting on this. I guess that it's the same for 'Monuments Men', and I somewhere read that he was paid $ 200 000 for 'The Descendants' which isn't that much money.

George often said that he chooses projects which interest him and not because he earns a lot of money. So I'm not sure if he's the right 'example' to be named for equal payment because I'm not actually sure that he's better paid than the female actors.

In general I think that men and women should paid equally.

Last edited by carolhathaway on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 17:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 24 Oct 2015, 18:43

Missa - Carolhathaway is right. When George called the studio heads out for not signing his petition he didn't name names. Shaming someone into doing what you want them to do is a bully tactic, and George isn't a bully. I'm sure he isn't above bending a few arms in private to try to get support for his causes, but I don't think he'd threaten  public embarrassment to get his way.

(I have no doubt he'd have no qualms at all publicly embarrassing a friend as part of a prank or just for the fun of it, but I don't believe he'd use that as a tactic in any serious matter.)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 24 Oct 2015, 19:53

George because of the way he gets paid is probably the wrong person to single out. I have to agree he should have been asked privately not publicly if he says no he is wrong and  not willing to help,  if he says yes how will his privacy be protected and how much he makes remain private.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 24 Oct 2015, 20:56

I think everyone here makes really good points.  
I don't understand the workings of the movie industry system but I'm sure it is not so black and white as most of us want to see it.  From movie to movie the dynamics of production costs, salaries for actors and other budget factors change.  

I do think George as the unofficial mayor of Hollywood can continue to speak out, along with other "big name" actors, for women getting pay equity In the business. I also think actresses in the business, like Jennifer Lawrence, will need to keep the pressure on studios to get their act together.  The correction in pay equity isn't going to happen overnight.  It will take time and continued advocacy.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 24 Oct 2015, 21:17

I think that Robert Downey Jr. must be amongst
the highest paid male actors in Hollywood.

I wonder why he wasn't mentioned in the article ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 24 Oct 2015, 23:17

He may have been singled out because he specifically has brought up multiple times how women are treated differently/unfairly in Hollywood, both during the Sony hack and during his "I don't campaign for Oscars" Oscar campaign a few years ago. Or because he often takes up the cause of the underdog. Or because he's in a position as a producer to make some of these changes happen in his own films. Why not ask him? Frankly, I think every male actor should be asked if they're willing to do this, but petitions need to targeted to be successful.

Maybe how he works out his salary is part of why he was asked. This issue of pay inequity goes far beyond up front salary. In the Sony emails, it was discovered that Jeremy Renner and Bradley Cooper got the same amount of "points" (percentage of the gross) for American Hustle, while Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams were given a lower amount. Jen is the star of that movie, the publicity campaign was built around her, and she is miles more successful than Jeremy Renner, who had a supporting role. She should have gotten the same deal as Cooper. The inequity threads through all parts of the payments structure, not just the amount they make upfront. George would know the intracacies of film financing better than anyone. I don't think anyone is saying "I want $20 million a film or else!" All they're asking for is to get the same deal their male costars get, however it's structured. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Privacy is a non-issue; I see articles all the time about how much actors were paid for this or that movie.

And just to be clear, George said he sent that Sony letter to every studio head. He didn't have to name individuals, he said they all got it. He didn't have to go public with the fact that he sent the letter at all. That was solely to shame the people who didn't sign it. He could have privately expressed his disappointment and chose not to. Because he understands the power of public pressure.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's out of line for someone to say, "you have benefitted enormously from the system being stacked in your favor. It's time to pay that forward."
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 25 Oct 2015, 00:20

I don't disagree with you Missa.  I think George is a smart man and knows the business as well as anyone in Hollywood.  If this is important enough to him (and I hope that it is) he will advocate for women in his business in a way that works for him.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 25 Oct 2015, 01:39

Missa- The point I was making is that this woman didn't just demand that all A-list actors should advocate for equal pay for their female co-stars. She went after George specifically and publicly.
I doubt she approached him privately for his support. If she had, he probably would have agreed and taken the wind out of her publicity sails. Calling him out like this in public gets her a lot more attention.
     You may think the end justifies the means, but I don't. Forcing someone to do something may be effective in the short term, but in the long run you risk creating animosity an making an enemy. There are better ways to go.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 25 Oct 2015, 01:54

I agree that she did it this way in order to garner publicity. The difference is that I think she had no other choice. A generic petition to "all A-list movie stars" has no teeth. Unfortunately, people need to be put on the spot to do what's right; if they didn't, the problem wouldn't exist in the first place. We always unfairly ask the victims of discrimination to worry about hurting the feelings of the people doing the discriminating. Frankly, if George isn't willing to use his position to help, he's already an enemy to what she's trying to accomplish. This is an opportunity for George to burnish his public image. Bradley Cooper has been glorified in the press for his choice, G would get the same positive coverage. This only hurts George if he doesn't want to help, in which case, IMO, he deserves it.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 25 Oct 2015, 01:29

Missa - You seem to be assuming this would be the only way to get George on board. I would only agree with you if George had been approached privately and turned her down, which I don't think is the case.

I don't think she contacted him at all.  I think she just decided that using his name this way would get her lots of attention so she didn't even bother. It makes him look bad by implying he has to be shamed into getting involved, when he might very well have signed on if approached directly. It's a childish, sneaky tactic, IMO. I still maintain that the ends don't justify the means and there are better ways to go.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 25 Oct 2015, 01:42

I guess the difference is that I don't think he should have to be asked at all. It's not a secret this is going on; he himself has addressed it on more than one occasion. It would have been quite easy for him, after the Bradley Cooper story broke, to come out and say, "hey that's a great idea, I'm going to do that too". He didn't, and so she's approached him publicly. She shouldn't have to engrave a personal invitation for him, he's not the pope. As I said, for some reason people often have to be put on the spot to do the right thing. And just so we're clear, I think this applies to all male movie stars; they should all have jumped on Cooper's bandwagon. But if they're going to have to go door-to-door and drag each person into the fray individually, George is a good a person to start with as any.

There's also nothing inherently shaming about the petition. It refers to him as a human rights advocate and a leader in his industry. IMO, it's only shaming if you think he wouldn't have said yes otherwise. In which case, he should be ashamed.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 25 Oct 2015, 09:05

Missa,
I didn't say you're wrong.
I just said that to me the difference between those two issues is that George asked ALL studio heads so everybody in the business knows to whom he addressed so there's a number of people. On the other hand there's a petition telling George personally to stand up for equal payment in Hollywood, and everybody who signs it tries to pressure George on it. In my understanding you do start a petition after you tried everything else so to me it implicades that they already tried to get George on board and didn't succeed. They also didn't name any other A-listers to stand up for it, it's specifically about George. 
So in my understanding they do try to pressure George, and if he doesn't get onboard it looks as if he doesn't want women to be paid equally. So he actually has no choice or it looks as if he's 'the bad guy'.
For me this is a sort of emotional blacktail.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 25 Oct 2015, 11:46

As someone who would lead the charge for women, I think he'd be great, and the headlines would be huge, but I'm not sure financially he'd be the right one to choose.

Because every single financial deal he does is different depending on the film he gets involved with. 

So in some cases he hasn't taken a salary at all at the front end in order to get the film made and out there (be it direct, write, act etc) e g GNGL. Instead he takes a cut of the profits (if any).

It's well known isn't it that the Oceans franchise meant that there was money in the bank to do this?

It would have to be a film-by-film thing - and the women would have have to shout as loud as the men!

But I'm guessing it would be down to how much any actor would want the part artistically too - and how much the paymasters would want them.

Who knows how many are producing, investing or merely want a part in a particular film?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 25 Oct 2015, 17:10

I am not arguing the legitimacy of this petition but I do have questions about how impactful it is in comparison to other advocacy efforts.

I was curious when I read this article online how many other media sites picked it up.  Not too many.  What surprised me a bit is that I couldn't find The Hollywood Reporter, Variety, Deadline or any other Hollywood industry site picking up this story.  I did go to The Hollywood Reporter site and searched their stories on this issue.  There seems to be a number of stories regarding the gender equality issue in Hollywood. Included were two stories about 2 ACLU petitions circulated in the industry regarding gender bias in directing and another asking for Congress to intervene in the gender inequality issue.  Among other efforts Meryl Streep also sent a letter to Congress over the summer.  So there are a variety of advocacy efforts going on in Hollywood to help remedy the inequities in the industry.  We have no idea if George signed the ACLU petitions or what else is going on behind the scenes.

So I guess what my point is if George does not sign this petition I wouldn't be so quick to judge what that means.
And I would be curious to know what other heavyweights have signed this particular petition.  Is it even clear that Bradley Cooper signed this one?  None of these petitions mention names including the ACLU's.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 25 Oct 2015, 17:46

I haven't heard anything about this specific petition anywhere other than this site, so I don't imagine it's getting much traction, and our debate is pretty theoretical.  However, I do think that the topic is in the news; in fact Josh Hutcherson, who costarred with Lawrence in the Hunger Games films, commented on it today during a press conference.  I think George should certainly expect to be asked about it at some point.  

How he gets paid for each film has no bearing on whether or not he agrees to what's in the petition.  Basically, they're asking that whatever his deal is, he share that information with his female costars so they can negotiate something similar, if they so choose. Whether he's getting $15 million up front or working for a minimum salary and a percentage of the gross, it's helpful for his costars to know so the studio can't bank on their ignorance to short change them.  There is literally no downside to him agreeing to do this, and no good reason not to.  It could not be an easier decision, and as I posted earlier, he shouldn't even have to be asked, publicly or privately.  He's in a position of power, he should use it to help where he can. It's been a slow evolution for him in this area, from making films that were almost exclusively sausage-fests to making films in which (older) women are the leads, and rewriting a part intended for a man so that a woman could play it. Stepping up on the issue of pay equity seems like a natural next step for him.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Sun 25 Oct 2015, 18:46

From my reading and what I see on TV, most of the big stars make deals that are a lot more complicated than one payment up front.  I think Bradley Cooper said he made a lot more money on American Sniper on the "back end."  

My question is, where are the agents in this discussion?  Isn't it their job to know the industry and get their clients the best deal possible (regardless of gender)?  Has Jennifer Lawrence fired hers or did she go against their advice?  She should not be in this alone when the agent gets a cut.  Artists can sometimes be bad at the business and financial end, but these folks are supposed to be representing them.  

I think the wage gap is a problem--but I think it is less of an issue and more easily addressed by top earners like Jennifer than the lack of roles written for women, by women, etc.  Come on--in 2014 women were the protagonists in 14% of big grossing films!   That is crazy inequity.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by fava on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 18:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Sun 25 Oct 2015, 19:17

I have to say that George has not been pulled from the sidelines where he is minding his own business on the issue of gender inequities in Hollywood.  He has been tooting his own horn over the last few months in the run up to Our Brand is in Crisis about how he took a male role and reworked it for a female. (I won't go into here how I think that is a backwards way to deal with the issue, although I guess it's progress in a strange way).   IMO he started the ball rolling in his own direction with these comments.

Last edited by fava on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 19:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos again!)

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 25 Oct 2015, 21:10

I would imagine the agents are as competitive as their clients, and likely don't share with each other how much their clients are making either.  So even the agents are going in blind to what they should be asking for.  Bradley Cooper talked about how, as actors, they con't ever really deal with or talk about the money side, so no one is really ware of who is getting what, or whether they're being short changed.  Most companies, at least those that I've worked for, have a similar culture of silence around salaries and benefits, and it is almost always to the detriment of the female employees.  

You're right, fava, this is just one front in the war on sexism in Hollywood, but I think they have to fight every battle they can.  If women start being paid the same salary as men, maybe that will go a long way toward how they are viewed in Hollywood, and will increase their opportunities.  The real goal should be more women and people of color behind the scenes (writing, directing, producing) and in decision-making positions.  That's when we'll really see the tide turn in on-screen representation.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 25 Oct 2015, 21:56

Missa - I think a couple of other factors are contributing to the problem of pay equality. One is that the major studios are all corporately owned, which means their total focus is on the bottom line. I don't think they're  too eager to share info on salaries as it could lead to increased costs for them. They might just turn around and say that if they increase the female stars' salaries they'll have to lower the salaries of the male stars to stay in budget for the film. That would really put the cat among the pigeons!

The other issue we have to get past is that in this country it's considered ill-mannered to question someone else's finances. It's considered rude, and most people, when asked how much money they make, will tell you it's none of your business. I think that holds true across the board, including the entertainment business. We've given up so much of our privacy, celebrities more than most, that I can understand not wanting to open up any more of your life to others.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 25 Oct 2015, 22:12

Lizzy- Those responsible for unfair treatment have often used that very argument to try and keep people from banding together, i.e., "but if we let women vote, they might cancel out their husband's vote!" More recently, versions of it have been used to prevent the raising of the minimum wage and against Obamacare. It's always wrong, and I would hope the male stars would call it out as such. If they can't pay everyone fairly and stay profitable, then they shouldn't be in business. Maybe they'd become more careful with the films they decide to finance, and not blow hundreds of millions of dollars on tripe like Jackass 2.

As far as financial privacy goes, that's true for you and I. But information about what movie stars make is readily available; heck, there are entire lists produced every year about Highest Paid Actors and Richest Celebrities. Giving a little of that information away upfront to help a colleague doesn't seem like a bridge too far to me. Frankly, I don't think I could take seriously someone who claimed keeping their salary information private was more important than helping change the balance of inequality. I'm not saying doing any of this should be required, but it would be nice to see more people getting on Coopers bandwagon to help turn the tide a little.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 26 Oct 2015, 00:23

Miss wrote: 1.If they can't pay everyone fairly and stay profitable, then they shouldn't be in business.

2.As far as financial privacy goes, that's true for you and I. But information about what movie stars make is readily available; heck, there are entire lists produced every year about Highest Paid Actors and Richest Celebrities. Giving a little of that information away upfront to help a colleague doesn't seem like a bridge too far to me. Frankly, I don't think I could take seriously someone who claimed keeping their salary information private was more important than helping change the balance of inequality.  I'm not saying doing any of this should be required, but it would be nice to see more people getting on Coopers bandwagon to help turn the tide a little.
1. That's a very naive statement. The corporations that run the movie industry today are running a business. Being fair is very nice, but if it affects their bottom line they can live with unfairness - especially if it doesn't affect their personal paychecks. It won't stop them from making tentpoles or lousy movies they think will turn a profit. They'll be in the movie business until it stops being a money maker (or tax write-off).

2. Yes, it would be nice if others volunteered to share information with their colleagues, but it should be their choice to make and it shouldn't have to be made public. Besides, if there are so many salary lists out there why does anyone need to say anything? They (or their people) can just go look at the lists. What do they pay their agents and business managers for, anyway?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Mon 26 Oct 2015, 00:45

It isn't naive, it's accurate. If you have to shortchange your employees to make a profit, whether you're running a movie studio or a convenience store, you shouldn't be in business. I recognize that we as a culture accept that corporations will run roughshod over their employees if it means they make one extra dollar; I'm saying we shouldn't accept that.

We keep going in circles about agents and financial structures and who's responsible for what. We clearly just have a fundamental disagreement on whether a person who a) recognizes inequality, and b) has the power to address it, should do so. I think they should, societal niceties and bottom lines be damned. We can come up with arguments against getting involved all day long (the studios will just take away from other people, it's his agent's job, privacy), just as there have always been endless arguments against every attempt at fixing inequality in history. Luckily, people go ahead anyway, otherwise black people would still be sitting in the back of buses, and you and I wouldn't be able to vote. George recognizes the problem and can be part of the solution, so he should. End of story. I really don't understand why there's any disagreement about that.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 26 Oct 2015, 01:55

There isn't disagreement about whether he should be part of the solution. My only point is that it is his choice to make and nobody else has the right to make that decision for him - no matter how morally superior they feel their position to be.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:00

Let's see if the discussion follows him around tonight on the red carpet...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:55

PAN I forgot that tonight is the premiere of Our Brand Is Crisis.  Great!  New pictures!

Last edited by Donnamarie on Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 26 Oct 2015, 14:34

Yes, 
I also forgot about that!
Can't wait  for new photos and interviews.
Great!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 27 Oct 2015, 04:21

I think this julie gal has a specific bone to pick with George or she was looking to use the name recognition that George carries world-wide cause she could have just as easily targeted RDJ or any myriad of other actors or producers, directors, etc.  who make a hell of a lot more money than George.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 23 Dec 2015, 20:23

I've been perusing old topics that came up during my 'sabbatical.'

On this one, I will say that this writer is kind of a professional petitioner. It's her thing. She picks what seems to be a public-interest topic, and slants it to the celebrity angle. One of her last ones was for Vogue magazine to make one of its article writers apologize to someone for writing something she thought was inappropriate about the subject of the article. I don't remember the details, just that she didn't address the (unfamous) writer; she called out Anna W and Vogue instead.

I've never known her to direct a petition to anyone who wasn't pop-culture famous. I don't think you'll catch her name associated with Feeding America or Save the Children... unless the star-of-the-moment can be the hook in the title.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 23 Dec 2015, 22:18

Way2,
the problem - if this woman is a professional petitioner - is in my opinion that shw doesn't help the idea of equal payment. In fact it could impair it because nobody doesn't takes her petitions seriously. 
Although - if she just wants to focus on certain issues - it's not a bad thing. But she didn't seem to have succeeded, had her five minutes of fame by challenging George.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down