George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015

+10
lelacorb
Missa
Jenn
melbert
kat19
premiere
annemarie
Alisonfan
Silje
party animal - not!
14 posters

Go down

Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 Empty Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015

Post by party animal - not! Wed 26 Aug 2015, 22:26

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 Empty Re: Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015

Post by Silje Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:37

Mohamed Fahmy hoping his Egyptian nightmare will soon be over

Vancouver, BC, Canada / News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk

Shane Woodford

August 27, 2015 06:53 pm

A Canadian born journalist is hoping that his long Egyptian nightmare will finally come to end Saturday morning.

Mohamed Fahmy is hoping the third time is the charm after two previous decisions over widely denounced terror charges were put off.

“The signals we are getting from the officials here and the lawyers are that we are going to have a verdict Saturday morning here.”

And if the decision doesn’t go his way.

“My mind cannot except I would to go prison and this is the psychological part of this whole ordeal.”

Fahmy says since being arrested in December of 2013 this experience has taken a deep toll onhim, his wife, and his family.

“It is very hard on my wife now and even my parents are on there way to Canada because my dad just got diagnosed with cancer and he can’t even be with me and I can’t be with him while he is going through this very intense phase. This experience has depleted us financially, emotionally, and physically.”

Fahmy says he won’t be alone in the courtroom.

“My lawyer Amal Clooney is arriving in Egypt and she will be attending the hearing. She will be in Egypt for the first time and I will be meeting her for the first time. The Canadian Ambassador Troy has been extremely helpful he has prepared meetings for her with senior officials in the government.”

And in the event he is convicted.

“In case I am sentenced she will be fighting to deport me back to Canada in accord with a presidential decree or submitting for a pardon.”

Fahmy and a colleague from Al Jazeera, Egyptian Baher Mohamed, were both granted bail after the start of their retrial, which after two delays is set for a final ruling this weekend.
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015 Empty Re: Amal Clooney in court in Egypt for Fahmy August 29 2015

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:27

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:30

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:32

Now Amal is in Egypt.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:39

New info. The journalists are sentenced to 3 years in prison.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:40

Yep. So an appeal later no doubt

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:52

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 10:17

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 29 Aug 2015, 11:25

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Sat 29 Aug 2015, 12:10

Well done to Amal, she attend, did not to win but to attend this time good.Will look good for George she turn up this time.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 29 Aug 2015, 13:30

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 29 Aug 2015, 13:34

THERE IS A VIDEO IN THE LINK OF AMAL SPEAKING.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 29 Aug 2015, 13:39

ANOTHER VIDEO. THIS IS A LITTLE LONGER. YOU CAN SEE HOW CRAZY THINGS WHERE.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 29 Aug 2015, 14:16

Amal was doing her job, which was to represent her client. George has nothing to do with her job .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:15

Pretty amazing how she kept going despite the cacophony around her

Another report

plus BBC and ITN headline news

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by premiere Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:29

party animal - not! wrote:Pretty amazing how she kept going despite the cacophony around her.

I had to laugh when I saw this. It reminds me of me trying to teach when the kids come back from recess.
premiere
premiere
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:30

It' is a shame that the court did not do what is right and let them go.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:35

You're right, Premiere........except as adults you'd think they'd know better if they actually want to listen!!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Sat 29 Aug 2015, 18:57

This is a very sad and devastating verdict. Hopefully they are able to secure a pardon/deportation though...that's the only way out now. Such a travesty of justice....Egypts courts are a joke.

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 29 Aug 2015, 18:57

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] OUCH!

Amal Clooney “Actor’s Wife”: Associated Press Slammed For Tweet About Human Rights Lawyer (PHOTOS)
Truth rating: 10
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Amal Alamuddin associated press George Clooney
By Shari Weiss | 11:08 am, August 29th, 2015

The Associated Press is getting slammed for sending a tweet that referred to Amal Clooney as “actor’s wife,” despite her successful career as a human rights lawyer. See screengrabs below.

Shortly after 4 a.m. Eastern time on Saturday, the official “@AP” account tweeted, “Amal Clooney, actor’s wife, representing Al-Jazeera journalist accused in Egypt of ties to extremists.” Of course, her involvement in the case has nothing to do with being married to George Clooney. And a number of Twitter users ripped the Associated Press for the characterization.

“Hey, @AP, unless you plan on referring to George as ‘lawyer’s husband,’STOP IT,” replied one follower. Another asked, “how can people take you seriously? @AP what has her personal life to do with her work?” A different individual wanted to know, “Hey @AP, why is Amal Clooney referred to as ‘actor’s wife’ instead of internationally-renowned human rights lawyer?”

One Twitter user wrote, “amal clooney is amazing and shes achieved so much and yall still introduce her as george’s husband, BYE.” One person questioned, “Amal Clooney is accomplished as hell and you demean her work and lower her down to only her relationship with her husband?” Someone else posted, “‘Amal Clooney, actor’s wife’ EXCUSE ME @AP THIS IS RUDE.”

Another even wrote, “Let me fix that for AP: ‘Amal Clooney, lawyer.'” But there were some defenders of the description, such as the person who tweeted, “she’s known to the public primarily because she’s married to clooney, best way for ppl to indentify [sic] who that is.”
While the Associated Press hasn’t responded to the backlash, its follow-up tweet on the subject sent just over an hour later removed the “actor’s wife” reference, and instead only read, “Human rights lawyer Amal Clooney criticizes prison terms handed down to three Al-Jazeera English journalists.” Check out the contrasting tweets below, and tell us what you think.
(Twitter)
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 21:41

...presumably in Arabic

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Sat 29 Aug 2015, 21:57

thank : mr&mrs_clooney tumblr
Jenn
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 29 Aug 2015, 22:53

Interesting interview. She argues her case very well.

The journalist speaks Arabic but Amal replys in English. Is English her professional language and Arabic only her private language?

Amal also said she was going to the Maldives next week.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 29 Aug 2015, 23:10

She's tri-lingual, Silje, but speaks English most of the time, educated in the UK from the age of 3...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 30 Aug 2015, 01:05

Anyone who believes she spends all her time on vacation, rarely works, or does "stunt barristing", as Celebitchy refers to it, should watch that video.  She speaks extemporaneously about the intricate details of the case and verdict, past courtroom events, and plans for moving forward, and comes across as smart, informed, and passionate about justice for her client.  If she's faking it, she's a better actor than her husband.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 30 Aug 2015, 02:02

I agree with you missa she seems to be very smart and knows her job. There is no way she can fake it.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Sun 30 Aug 2015, 17:59

Clooney "La moglie dell'attore": Associated Press sbattuto Per Tweet Chi Avvocato dei Diritti Umani (FOTO) Valutazione Verità: 10 Amal Alamuddin associated press George Clooney By Shari Weiss | 11:08, 29 ago 2015 L'Associated Press è sempre sbattuto per l'invio di un Tweet quello di cui al Amal Clooney come "la moglie dell'attore," nonostante la sua carriera di successo come avvocato per i diritti umani. Vedere screengrabs sotto. Poco dopo le 4:00 ora della costa orientale il Sabato, la "AP" versione ufficiale twittato, "Amal Clooney, la moglie dell'attore, in rappresentanza della giornalista di Al-Jazeera ha accusato in Egitto di legami con estremisti." Certo, il suo coinvolgimento nella caso non ha nulla a che fare con l'essere sposata con George Clooney. E un certo numero di utenti di Twitter ha strappato la Associated Press per la caratterizzazione. "Ehi,AP, a meno che non si ha intenzione di riferimento a George come 'il marito di avvocato,' Smettila», rispose un seguace. Un altro ha chiesto: "come può la gente si prende sul serio? AP Cosa ha la sua vita personale a che fare con il suo lavoro? »Un individuo diverso voleva sapere:" EhiAP, perché è Amal Clooney definito come 'la moglie dell'attore' invece di fama internazionale avvocato dei diritti umani? "Un utente di Twitter ha scritto, "Amal Clooney è incredibile e shes ottenuto tanto e yall ancora la presento come marito di george, BYE." Una persona interrogata, "Amal Clooney è compiuto come l'inferno e si mortifica il suo lavoro e abbassare giù solo la sua relazione con il suo ?. marito «Qualcun altro ha postato:" 'Amal Clooney, la moglie dell'attore' Mi scusiAP QUESTO È RUDE "Un altro ancora ha scritto," Let me fix che per PA: '. Amal Clooney, avvocato' "Ma ci sono stati alcuni difensori del la descrizione, come ad esempio la persona che ha twittato, "lei è noto al grande pubblico soprattutto perché lei è sposata con Clooney, modo migliore per ppl per identificare [sic] chi sia.» Mentre l'Associated Press non ha risposto al contraccolpo, la sua Tweet follow-up sul tema ha inviato poco più di un'ora più tardi rimosso la "moglie dell'attore" di riferimento, e invece di sola lettura, "avvocato per i diritti umani Amal Clooney critica pene detentive pronunciate a tre di Al-Jazeera giornalisti inglesi." Check out il contrasto tweet sotto, e diteci cosa ne pensate. (Twitter)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]                                                                                Reading this article brought me to a reflection: a great lawyer I always thought was the one who wins the causes but Amal has ever won a case? I do not want to be cynical ironic .... I just do not know.

lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 30 Aug 2015, 19:40

Tried to view Jenn's video, but it says it's private! Oh, well.

Just an aside. An Egyptian friend of mine said today that he views Al Jazeera as completely unreliable. He said they will take photos and footage from one place and use it to illustrate a later story from a different location. He doesn't trust them at all.

I find it interesting that Al Jazeera are saying they will do everything to get their people released now that they are being sued by Fahmy

Also. who cares if they mention Amal's married to George? She is. And they throw her into everything they write about him. Fair's fair. IMO it's a non-issue.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sun 30 Aug 2015, 19:46

Link doesn’t work anymore Lizzy.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sun 30 Aug 2015, 19:58

THIS  LINK  HAS ANOTHER VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH BBC.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Sun 30 Aug 2015, 20:07

LizzyNY wrote:
Also. who cares if they mention Amal's married to George? She is. And they throw her into everything they write about him. Fair's fair. IMO it's a non-issue.
 Lizzy,
I think that it's unprofessional to mention Amal as "actor's wife" in a press report, especially since AP isn't a gossip magazine but a news agency. Amal wasn't there as George's wife but because she defended Fahmy in this trial. And that's just not the same as being her with her husband at the Casamigos event in Ibiza.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Sun 30 Aug 2015, 20:12

LizzyNY wrote:Tried to view Jenn's video, but it says it's private! Oh, well.

Link : http://www.cbc-eg.com/cbc/serial/%D9%84%D9%82%D8%A7%D8%A1-%D8%AD%D8%B5%D8%B1%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%B4%D8%B7%D8%A9-%D8%A3%D9%85%D9%84-%D9%83%D9%84%D9%88%D9%86%D9%8A-%D8%AA%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%AF%D8%AB-%D8%B9%D9%86-%D8%AA%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B9%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AD%D9%83%D9%85-%D9%81%D9%89-%D9%82%D8%B6%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D8%AE%D9%84%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D9%85%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%88%D8%AA
Jenn
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Sun 30 Aug 2015, 21:45

Not trying to start a fire storm, just respond.....

In any report I've ever seen regarding Amal's work,( and this includes UK et al papers)  it always includes " married George Clooney in elaborate wedding in Venice" or words to that effect  If she is a successful lawyer/barrister in her own right, why always bring up the marriage connection.  So how does this pertain to AP?  Maybe AP thinks of her as an actor's wife first and whatever second.  And to be perfectly honest ( let the chips fall where they may)... so do I .  I doubt that she covers these cases alone... why aren't the other barristers in the spotlight or at least mentioned by name ? 

Nicky, Lorna, if my post has violated new guidelines, please PM me.  It's not my intention to badmouth... just post my opinion.

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 30 Aug 2015, 23:00

Pigpen, do you mean the other barristers on this case or in general?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 30 Aug 2015, 23:04

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 31 Aug 2015, 00:36

If you put George's name in something more people are likely to pay attention. Who she is married to has nothing to do with her doing her job. 

It is simply a part of being with George his name is still used when the papers write about  his ex's they are always the former girlfriend of George Clooney's . Stacy and Eli are both married and they still get the same in articles.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 31 Aug 2015, 00:37

As I said before, I think mentioning Amal's marriage is a non-issue. Although it may annoy some people, it doesn't bother me and it certainly shouldn't get more press than the actual trial.

What I did, however, find truly offensive was today's NY Daily News which published an article about the sentencing accompanied by a photo of Amal seated next to Fahmy's weeping wife. The title of the article was "Amal's Anguish". Really? Her anguish? Not the anguish of the woman whose husband was just sentenced to prison? That's outrageous!

At the other end of the spectrum the NY Post covered the sentencing without even mentioning Amal's name. There was an accompanying photo of her with Fahmy's wife where she was identified by name.That was it.

I honestly don't know what my point is. The NY newspapers have me totally befuddled. scratch
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 31 Aug 2015, 01:06

To me the News has become a really bad newspaper.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 31 Aug 2015, 02:55

BBCtv's Middle East Editor Lyse Doucet and her extended interview, including the effect of her marriage on her job....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Mon 31 Aug 2015, 04:45

PigPen wrote:Not trying to start a fire storm, just respond.....

In any report I've ever seen regarding Amal's work,( and this includes UK et al papers)  it always includes " married George Clooney in elaborate wedding in Venice" or words to that effect  If she is a successful lawyer/barrister in her own right, why always bring up the marriage connection.  So how does this pertain to AP?  Maybe AP thinks of her as an actor's wife first and whatever second.  And to be perfectly honest ( let the chips fall where they may)... so do I .  I doubt that she covers these cases alone... why aren't the other barristers in the spotlight or at least mentioned by name ? 

Nicky, Lorna, if my post has violated new guidelines, please PM me.  It's not my intention to badmouth... just post my opinion.

They are. In general, other barristers such as Geoffrey Robertson, and Ben Emmerson, etc., who are working on some of the other high profile cases she is a part of are indeed mentioned in said news reports. Maybe not in every single report on the particular case but they do get mentions. They do interviews and such all the time as well. There's a wealth of stuff on them including extensive interviews all over the internet. Now some of the larger media outlets or entertainment media may choose to focus on her because she has a higher profile since marrying George but we as a collective choose to pay more attention to her as well. If you saw a news report with Robertson or Emmerson's name in the headline or an interview conducted with them you may not click on it but they are indeed out there. But if we see Amal's name there's a general interest in it. So to some extent she's click bait. So the "spotlight" on her is our own doing really. 

In this particular case, she is Fahmy's international lawyer. He has an Egyptian lawyer as well but it would be absolutely ill advised for him to be out there criticizing the Egyptian courts and government to the media. The Egyptian regime would punish HIM for that without blinking an eye. They have done so to other Egyptian lawyers, journalists, etc. He has Canadian lawyers now as well but they are not as involved with the case as Amal and her Egyptian counterpart. They commented on Canadian television news stations yesterday, and that is there job, but they said that they are not as well versed in the Egyptian legal system as Amal and the Egyptian lawyer. So really, she's the one who SHOULD be commenting on the case to the larger media outlets and that is what she is doing, her job.

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 31 Aug 2015, 13:50

party animal - not! wrote:Pigpen, do you mean the other barristers on this case or in general?
In general.

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 31 Aug 2015, 14:41

Pigpen, kat's post above says it all. Couldn't have put it better myself. It's great.

And of course Emmerson's name has had wider attention from the popular media since his connection with Ellen Barkin became known........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:24

PAN - From what you and Kat say, I can only assume that these men get much more coverage in the UK than they do here. I've almost only seen Robertson's name mentioned with Amal's and I've only seen Emerson's name mentioned a couple of times. Him dating Ellen Barkin is now a non-story here.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:49

That's true, Lizzy. And if I think about it's probably true of most countries and their lawyers - I could probably have a hard time trying to name more than a couple of American international human rights lawyers.

Every country has its own judiciary, and places like the International Bar Association, the ICC set up by the UN, and the UN itself bring the very best of the the world into the spotlight, with commissions like Gaza, laws on drones etc, together with the fact that very many lawyers go into government...........Barack Obama to name just one.......

And Ben Emmerson is probably quite relieved that the spotlight on his personal life has dimmed.......!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Mon 31 Aug 2015, 23:28

Ht
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Mon 31 Aug 2015, 23:32

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 19:48

Moved Posts to a new thread

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum