George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014

+6
Katiedot
LornaDoone
LizzyNY
Nicky80
PigPen
melbert
10 posters

Go down

US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 Empty US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014

Post by melbert Fri 26 Dec 2014, 18:02

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm just copying the #1 "winner"?  Click on the link for the 4 others that weren't as bad as MM, per US Weekly.

1. The Monuments Men

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Credit: Claudette Barius

Hey, did you hear the news about George Clooney in 2014? No, not the lavish wedding in Venice, silly. The two-time Oscar winner and Hollywood king starred, co-wrote, and directed the most infuriating cinematic bomb of the year. Somehow, he corralled talent such as Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Bill Murray and John Goodman and managed to waste them in a bland World War II-set art-heist caper filled with silly hijinks. (Stepping on a land mine is hilarious! Wait, wha?). Or maybe he was going for a preachy drama. (We get it! Art is important!). Who could tell. This much is certain: All of it landed with a thud. Here's hoping Clooney also vowed this year to make better movies.
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014 Empty Re: US Weekly 5 Worst Films for 2014

Post by PigPen Fri 26 Dec 2014, 18:09

Ouch Shocked

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 26 Dec 2014, 18:12

Does anyone think there will be whispers of Oscar?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 26 Dec 2014, 18:17

For best wedding production of the year??

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 26 Dec 2014, 18:26

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 26 Dec 2014, 19:24

I don't know the other 4 movies.

On what criteria US Magazine decided to put MM on number one?

The only thing I get is that US Magazine doesn't like George humor Razz
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 26 Dec 2014, 21:17

Well, I liked it and so did a lot of other people. Not the best movie ever, but certainly not the worst - not even the worst of 2014. Maybe they were disappointed that it didn't live up to their expectations. Or maybe they're mad at him for his attack on the media's coverage of the Sony hack.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 26 Dec 2014, 22:07

Definitely not the worst movie of 2014.  That award goes to the much discussed The Interview.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 27 Dec 2014, 03:46

Definitely not the worst. It was a good film, that failed to be amazing. Hardly worthy of making anyone's lists, whether good or bad.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jd68 Sat 27 Dec 2014, 09:54

It wasn't the worst movie of the year. There was much worse crap released. Maybe it received the "prize" because with such a talented cast it was a rather forgettable film.
jd68
jd68
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 28 Dec 2014, 17:37

That list seems more like a "should have been better; big disappointment" list, than an actual worst of the year list.  I think they're right about MM not really knowing what kind of movie to be; is it a drama about war and the importance of art to civilization, or is it Ocean's 11 takes on Hitler?  Either of those films could be entertaining, but MM never really settles on a tone so it ends up being just blah. IMO, Bill Murray and John Goodman are completely wasted; they're such good actors, but they aren't even breaking a sweat in MM.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 28 Dec 2014, 22:15

What crap...nobody can take this seriously?....no way should this be in any "worst category".....It's certainly in my top 5!
I was thrown by George's email to the Sony head (Amy)...I posted on that thread last week...but it's time for some tough love....If you love what you do, fuck the begrudgers!....I can't understand where that all came from....Creative work will bring criticism, (and now with enhanced social media thrown in) it goes with the job, so don't read it.... I always thought George's work bought him JOY....but the email was confusing....I know he was doing 5 jobs on the movie, maybe he disliked just one of them, and that caused the problem.....Which really wasn't a problem at all.... Let the critics go critic, does it bring them joy?....George keep doing what brings joy to the heart.....

In the words of the great writer Swift "Shake it off, shake it off"

bounce bounce bounce

Shaking emojo!
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 28 Dec 2014, 22:31

Missa I agree with your take on MM. I absolutely do not think this was the worst movie of the year. I don't even know what the other movies were that came in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. But If US was using the qualifier that the cast was superb but the movie wasn't maybe that was their reasoning. I really wanted this movie to work but it just didn't. It was an ok film. George knew that in the end and obviously a huge disappointment for him. And knowing how he wants everyone to do well he probably felt apologetic to his fellow actors for letting them down.
I wrote in an earlier thread that I just felt MM wasn't compelling. At all. It needed something that just wasn't there.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 28 Dec 2014, 22:46

I wouldn't see it like that...I really liked it....didn't like the first 20 minutes where it was clunky...but once Matt got off the horse and cart it positively rollicked along....like the rollicking good yarn it was.... I loved the colouring, hues and feel....all spot on....I thought it was a fine film...as I said I can name many movies that are bad this year...but this is just not one of them....Nowhere near...
I think he disappointed no one, what do ppl expect for a tenner....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 28 Dec 2014, 22:58

Just to check we have a similar taste palate...or not...

I Loved ..... 
Philomena
Wolf of Wall Street
Gone girl
MM
Birdman
Gravity
Maleficent
Calvery

and can't remember the other's, the one's I disliked...where I usually walked out .....Oh! American Hustle, walked out of that one.
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 28 Dec 2014, 23:56

What Would He Say Today, well I appreciate that you really liked MM. I wish more people did. I know may of us here on COH did. And I did like it. But it was slow at times. The music and cinematography were beautiful. And the actors all did well in their roles. Just thought their skills could have been expanded, embellished, more dramatic. I do think as Missa said George didn't get the tone right. It was light hearted at times and serious at others but it was like George couldn't decide what kind of film he wanted it to be. In the end it did provide a very unique story that had not been told before. And for that reason I praise it more than I probably should.

I loved Philomena, Gravity, 12 Years A Slave and Lost. I did like American Hustle but not as much as I thought I would. I haven't seen Birdman but really want to as well as Selma. I rarely really hate a movie but I really hated Wolf of Wall Street. Won't even go into why.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 29 Dec 2014, 00:34

I think George wanted protection from the reviews because he had been so wrapped up in the making the film that he got too close to it - he couldn't see it with impartial eyes - he probably thought it was pretty good.

Once he started promoting MM - which he did for months - reality set in. He was faced with the fact that many critics were disappointed in the film - they had expected something much better from him, something different than the move he delivered. I can't imagine how depressing it must have been to be out there promoting a film you worked so hard on, for so long, only to keep hearing that it's not very good. He's certainly not the first one this has happened to, and I'm sure he'll get over it, but it had to have hurt.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 29 Dec 2014, 01:03

I don't understand the art of directing a film but I think you can get so close, so immersed in the machinations that you lose sight of what you're trying to achieve. i would assume George worked closely with Grant on this film. I would also assume that Grant would be able to voice his concerns if the filming of this story was going off track. Unless they are too much alike in their vision and Grant couldn't see the shortcomings in the way George was directing. It's very hard for us to understand what George meant when he said he "lost touch".

I will say again that I'm not sure this was the story for George to tell. It was too sentimental. I think he really excels when telling darker, edgy political pieces. It's what he knows best. He has that cynical eye for showcasing the ugliness in politics and people in general. I remember him saying as to why he chose MM to direct was because he and Grant had been focusing on cynical movies too much and what to do something different. Well maybe he realized he should stick to what he knows best.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Mon 29 Dec 2014, 01:14

I think it makes a good case for why some people shouldn't produce AND write AND direct AND star in a film.  Sometimes you need that extra pair of eyes to say, "That's really not working." I think George is a good storyteller, and I'd like to see him simply direct a film that he hasn't written and isn't acting in. I'm assuming that Hack Attack will have an entirely British cast, and so George will stay behind the camera, at least.  Those who have read the book, is there a role for an American he might squeeze himself into?
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 29 Dec 2014, 13:07

Missa...may well be.

Donna..."too sentimental" hang on to your hat...Proof that we ALL see things a different way...

Sermon from my sofa...

oh the old cynical eye, and political....Sorry Donna, but to me thats all too pedestrian…but you like it, so all good...

He made a movie that makes us think outside the box….and ppl call it SENTIMENTAL….please.

This comes from a man who has witnessed attempted genocide and you think this is too sentimental
…..creative work should make you think, and hopefully inspire……

Let me give you an example of how MM worked for me….and I dare say a few other's had similar head ramblings…

By the time I left the cinema, it occurred to me that if Hitler had reached England, then much of Shakespeare would no longer exist…Merchant of Venice etc(Jewish connection)….. We would not know where the world of Banking came from....
By the time i drove off it occurred to me ppl are still attempting to wipe a people, a civilisation off the face of earth, even today (GC)…..
As I was driving the thought came “How many civilisations have come and gone, without us knowing”…..By the time I got to my village I was thinking stuff of myths and legends “Did they exist”……When I got home I googled Shambhala and Khembalung, places I heard of when I was in Northern Pakistan also used in modern day literature as the basis for the story Shangri-la……I googled Atlantis, Plato’s ideal world….Did they ever really exist….Were they just wiped out….

If they did exist…did the people of these places hold the secret of no cancer, no dementia, no depression, no heart failure….just pure happiness, joy, contentment.

Just thinking about it makes me tingle….we always think the impossible is just that, impossible….film making that makes me, and ppl like me, reach out of the box makes the impossible possible….somewhere sat in a cinema watching MM and seeing it my way, was a 12 year old that just got it….and one day may grow up and explore find Shangri-la, and all the cures and happiness that may bring….

It’s a stretch…I know….but a do-able stretch IMO. Stranger things happen everyday…X

Look out there is a "lost civilisation" being dug up in a supermarket carpark near you in the not distant future... Suspect

Who knows what 2015 will bring...
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 29 Dec 2014, 14:55

WWHS- Well said. Any movie that can get even one person thinking about ideas and possibilities is a success. In that respect MM did hat George wanted it to do, no matter what the critics said.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 29 Dec 2014, 17:22

WWHS, as I said earlier it was a unique story. Never been told before. And in that respect I'm glad George made it. I don't think the story itself is too sentimental. I was referring to the way George told the story. And the message he was trying to convey in MM is one that resonates today and always about how it is so important to preserve every aspect of our (the world) history. My issue is more about technique than the actual story. Bottom line, I'm glad George made this movie. It was an important story. And it did get people talking about it. And there were follow up stories I read in the news and saw on news programs about the men and woman involved in preserving the stolen art. And I'm sure this film can be used as an educational tool in history classes much like Good Night and Good Luck has for jounalism studies. I really don't think you and I are that far apart on our opinions of MM. Smile
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down