George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments

+18
LizzyNY
Silje
annemarie
it's me
lionheart
Alisonfan
Nicky80
LornaDoone
Cece42
The next mrs clooney
fava
PigPen
Lakin460
Way2Old4Dis
Atalante
party animal - not!
phys major
Katiedot
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 Empty Re: Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments

Post by Sevens Sat 23 Aug 2014, 13:52

Now.I've changed my opinion slightly. Those Islamic radicals would be really dangerous if they are strong enough to connect with those similar terrorism organizations in our country's western region. I believe our country would take similar military actions.
However the funny thing is for the most time the West support Isral to fight against the Arab countries, on the other hand, they're also secretly funding some Islamic terrorism organizations-in order to destroy the stability in China. Sarcastic.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments - Page 2 Empty Re: Open letter to George Clooney regarding his fiance’s comments

Post by PigPen Sat 23 Aug 2014, 14:31

Just a thought on a Saturday morning...  I wonder if George would publicly voice his opinion on this matter, (ie: make a stand on some of the comments and quotes made and printed about the barrister in question), if this were another couple.

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sat 23 Aug 2014, 16:55

Bravo LizzyNY!!  You said so eloquently what I have been struggling to say without sounding hot headed.  News reporting is often slanted depending on the ideology of the news agency.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Sat 23 Aug 2014, 17:35

LizzyNY wrote:Premiere - I agree completely, and you put my feelings into words better than I could. I don't think his friends (many of whom are Jewish) would question his feelings, but others in the industry might - especially if he has to defend her publicly. They might feel there is guilt by association, and therefore he must share her leanings. I really hope this is more appearance than substance on her part.

I said before I am not familiar with the source of this article. Is it widely known? I'm hoping that it is really rather some obscure site which will get little or no media attention.
If we're talking about it, so are others.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 23 Aug 2014, 19:16

Not really...I haven't seen that letter been printed in any other media outlet I read. Only here in our fan forum.....

If I would not be in this forum I would have never come across that letter....This letter is not really widely spread......And I guess that's because not many newspapers are interested to print why an individual wants an explanation from George Clooney about the Israel/Palestine conflict..... The daily weather channel is probably more interesting for many people out there then this letter...  Razz
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 23 Aug 2014, 21:38

Speaking of boycotts...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Honouring two Palestinian filmmakers at the Sarajevo Film Festival, British director Ken Loach branded the US as a “bully” and said cultural happenings supported by the Israeli state should be boycotted.

British filmmaker Ken Loach has called for the “boycott of all the cultural happenings supported by the Israeli state” at an awards ceremony honouring two Palestinian directors.
The director of Kes and The Wind That Shakes The Barley gave an impassioned speech at the Sarajevo Film Festival (Aug 15-23) last night, where he presented the Katrin Cartlidge Foundation Award to Palestinian directors Abdel Salam Shehadeh and Ashraf Mashharawi.
Loach branded the directors as “probably two of the greatest filmmakers in the world today, because they are making films in Gaza.”
Stirring memories of Sarajevo’s four-year siege from 1992-96, Loach said: “I know the people here will know the struggle and bravery you need when you are under siege, and you feel the pain of people of Gaza like no one else. These two people are not only surviving, but are making extraordinary films.”
He went on to express “huge frustration and anger” over the on-going conflict in Gaza and said: “My country, to its shame, follows the bully that is the United States. But we are not powerless. We can act together.”
It was at that point Loach suggested an “absolute boycott of all the cultural happenings supported by the Israeli state.”
“This is film, music, academic contacts. Israel must become a pariah state,” he added.
“To go from the sublime to the ridiculous: Israel should not be in the Eurovision song contest.
“And no Israeli football teams should be playing European competitions. I am not sure when Israel became a part of Europe, my geography is not that good.”
Before handing over the award, which aims to give new voices and new perspectives in film a chance to be seen and heard, Loach added: “These two film-makers are telling stories that we need to know.”
Mashharawi, a Palestinian filmmaker living as a refugee in Gaza, who has won awards for his coverage of the Israeli attack against Gaza in 2008/09, said: “I am taking this Heart of Sarajevo to the people of Gaza because I know that it is the heart of the people who experienced the same thing that we are going through now.
“I am here as the voice of the children who are being killed.”
Mashharawi’s films mainly involve stories from Gaza and Palestine, but he has also made films focusing on subjects from outside the region including Slavery in Yemen and The Road to Tawerghaa (Libya), which won the First Prize at the One World Festival for Human Rights in Brussels.
Fellow award-winner Abdel Salam Shehadeh also lives in Gaza and has directed more than 15 documentaries such as The Cane, Debris, Rainbow andThe Shadow, which have all played at international film festivals.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 23 Aug 2014, 21:48

And another one who is not scared to speak up and give his opinion. That's great. Knowing he is in the film industry brings a different view on it....

Interesting what he said about Israel should not play in the Euro-vision and European football competition....He is right. Israel is not European...I knew Israel is included in those events but never questioned it....wonder how that happened.... 

But what I don't understand is why he claims that the US is bully?

"My country, to its shame, follows the bully that is the United States."

Does he say that because US is pro Israel or why the word "bully"?  scratch
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 23 Aug 2014, 21:55

OK I just googled some informations because I remember that Russia attended the Euro version too so there is nothing wrong with it if none European countries attend it is not only Israel...

And I found the information below...so I guess similar rules apply to European football..... Not sure why he brings that up as a critic against Israel if other none EU countries join too

--------------------------------------------

We quite often get asked, why can some countries which don't seem to be in Europe in a traditional sense, take part in the Eurovision Song Contest. Here's why.
Namely, all active Members (brown on the map) of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) can take part in the Eurovision Song Contest.
Every year, the invitation to participate in the contest is sent out to all active Members. While some of them choose not to take part, most of them do.
So, the Participating Brodcasters have to be Members of the EBU. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The "European Broadcasting Area" is bounded on the West by the western boundary of Region 1, on the east by the meridian 40° East of Greenwich and on the South by the parallel 30° North so as to include the northern part of Saudi Arabia and that part of those countries bordering the Mediterranean within these limits. That is also the reason why for example Israel can take part in the contest.
In addition, Iraq, Jordan and that part of the territory of Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey and Ukraine lying outside the above limits are included in the European Broadcasting Area.
On the map below, European Broadcasting Area is shown in brown.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] countries?

Last edited by Nicky80 on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 21:59; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added text and pic)
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 23 Aug 2014, 22:06

And about Israel being in the European football competition, nothing wrong there too:

Israel is in the middle east but they joined UEFA so in football they are a European team. Countries can sign up with whatever confederation they like. 
Australia is another example. They joined the Asian Federation so they could avoid play offs with South American teams and have an easier route in qualifying for the world cup.

It also requires the acceptance of the association you want to join as there would likely be some voting process and politics involved prior to acceptance. In Israel's case, it was easy for them to be accepted on humanitarian and safety grounds, can you imagine how unsafe it would be for Israel to go and play at places like Syria, Iran and Iraq? 
After what happened at the Munich olympics where Israeli athlethes were killed by terrorists, it was easy to convince europe to take them in.

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 23 Aug 2014, 22:14

so thanks to google and good research I say Ken Loach comment doesn't make really sense....It started well but criticizing Israel for joining Eurovision and European football only shows he has not much knowledge about it why Israel is attending the competition and that again makes his whole comment not really look smart....Knowledge is the best weapon you can have....he should start googling first before speaking up  Razz 

Just my thought
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sat 23 Aug 2014, 22:18

Russia is part of Europe Nicky and also a part of Asia. The Russian heartland is in Europe so of course they should be in the Eurovision song contest and they compete in European championships in sports.
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 23 Aug 2014, 22:22

Yes realized that when I post it LOL, my fingeres were faster to post then my brain to think hehe I should have taken north Africa as an example  Razz  Razz  Razz
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 23 Aug 2014, 22:26

Mm, well do we think Sepp Blatter might not care who plays where and with whom, given the fiasco about Qatar (world leader in human rights) getting the World Cup (with roughly 1200 immigrant workers being killed there building the stadiums so far..........)?

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Aug 2014, 00:55

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Speaking of boycotts...

Honouring two Palestinian filmmakers at the Sarajevo Film Festival, British director Ken Loach branded the US as a “bully” and said cultural happenings supported by the Israeli state should be boycotted.

British filmmaker Ken Loach has called for the “boycott of all the cultural happenings supported by the Israeli state” at an awards ceremony honouring two Palestinian directors.

It was at that point Loach suggested an “absolute boycott of all the cultural happenings supported by the Israeli state.”
“This is film, music, academic contacts. Israel must become a pariah state,” he added.

I find this incredibly sad. The only way this situation will ever be settled is by a greater understanding of both sides that they have much in common and would be better off working together, rather than against each other. To stifle the flow of information and ideas from either side is, IMO, counter- productive and harmful to any meaningful dialogue.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 24 Aug 2014, 09:22

Yes, I soooo agree! I'm getting deeply frustrated at people's need to make one side bad and the other side good. Why does it have to be one or the other when it's so clear that both sides are wronged and both sides do wrong?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 13:03

Yes true words Lizzy and Katie and I agree with that but your words are so good that it is clear it is easy to say but probably will never turn into practice (at least as long as I live I guess but who knows ). 

I must say I like that he spoke up that way. Normally people always criticizing that way the Palestine side and not Israel and now somebody was not afraid to shoot the ball back and raise the same voice like others do just the other way around. I don't know if you notice but since the last conflict more and more people do that. 
If people criticizing Palestine that way it is ok and accepted, if people criticizing Israel that way then they find it sad and talk about respect, greater understanding and so on.....

Palestine gets more and more voices and maybe that what they need to put the scale to an equal level until both realize both do wrong.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Aug 2014, 13:28

Nicky - The people in Palestine/Israel need to work together. Yes, it is easy to say and very hard to do - especially when people focus on getting even instead of finding ways to defuse the situation.

Imagine how different things would be if the world community focused on improving life for the people of Gaza (and for all the poor in the region). Instead we sit back and watch as conditions get worse and people get more angry and frustrated. Then when things explode we make them worse by arming both sides and pointing fingers of blame.

The Middle East situation was created by the whole world community and, IMO, will take the efforts of the whole world to solve. Getting even is not the answer, it's the problem.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 13:48

Lizzy - yes they need to work together....Everyone agrees to that and I never said anything else but I still like the fact that this guy spoke up for Palestine  Very Happy 

As I mentioned already above, If people criticizing Palestine that way it is ok and accepted, if people criticizing Israel that way then they find it sad and talk about respect, greater understanding, peace and so on .....like we do now.....I hope more voices raise for Palestine like Salma Hayek did  Thumbs up! 
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Aug 2014, 14:06

Nicky - What I find sad is that people think it is more important to criticize than to come up with workable, peaceful solutions to the problem. Does it make them feel better to say "Israel does bad things, too"? Probably. Does it help solve the problem? Does it in any way improve the lives of the people in Gaza? IMO it does not. It just fosters more bad feeling and supports those who see violence as the only solution.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 14:15

Yep true but people will continue to criticize each other this is human and we do it in our daily life's too. Your words sound good. Those are standard statements we all hope for and are easy to say. And we just need to hope for the best.

I still like the fact that this guy spoke up for Palestine and I hope there will be more to come.  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 24 Aug 2014, 14:53

LizzyNY wrote: Does it make them feel better to say "Israel does bad things, too"? Probably. Does it help solve the problem?
Not sure I've quite understood you so apologies in advance if my reply doesn't make sense.   I believe it's not possible to even begin to solve a problem until all the facts are accounted for.  

All those saying that poor little Israel is suffering so much under the evil bombardment by those Hamas terrorists are missing the point just as much as those talking about the suffering of Palestinians under the atrocities conducted by the Israelis and let's boycott everything Israeli until they stop.  Pointing fingers doesn't help anyone (I think this may have been your point and in that case I agree) but I do think nothing can move forward until both participants and observers of this war accept that both sides are in the wrong and have been wronged.   Saying that Israel does bad things too is a statement of fact that's greatly missing in the public commentary on this war and because this isn't widely acknowledged hampers the possibilities to find a solution to the situation.  

Each side owes the other apologies and each side owes the other reparations.  Playing the 'my suffering is more agonising than yours' game - at which both Palestinians and Israelis are highly adept - gets no one anywhere.  The cheerleaders on the sidelines keeping score aren't any help in this situation either.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 24 Aug 2014, 15:54

So katie what is your suggestion for solution?
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 24 Aug 2014, 16:43

As I wrote already somewhere (on this thread or another one, can't remember): Israel to go back to its 1967 borders and all concerned to agree to accept the status quo: Israel exists, has a right to exist and, like it or not, live with it (given their economy and very close links to the US, having them as trading partners is an extremely good idea for impoverished Palestinians. There's lots of tech and knowledge that they could learn from the Israelis).

Then, to keep the peace, better economic management, education and the creation of a functional, non corrupt government etc etc etc in Palestine because reasonably well-off, educated middle classes are stable and less likely to riot, vote for terrorists or start wars with countries next door to them (they prefer to wage war on others far less advanced in terms of weaponry living half way around the world).

None of this will be achieved by dropping bombs on each other. They're going to have to talk.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Aug 2014, 19:30

Katie - I think we're pretty much in agreement here. Amping up the rhetoric helps no one. As you said, each side owes the other reparations and apologies.

I would like to see the world's business community offer to invest in Gaza, giving them the opportunity to develop a stronger economy - based on the provision that they cease and renounce all terrorist activities - and Israel stand down to previous borders with the assurance that they will not be subject to future terror attacks.

I know it's a pipe dream, but it seems to me it would be much more effective than the kind of negotiations that are going on now. As things stand, there are no realistic incentives to stop the violence.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 24 Aug 2014, 19:36

Well let's start with all members Hamas stepping down from Palestine's government and also Netanyahu because these are the hardliners on each side.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Aug 2014, 19:54

Lorna - If only! But they need to have a reason to make these kinds of changes. Just saying they should isn't going to get it done.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 24 Aug 2014, 20:12

And that's the $10,000 question, isn't it? How to bring the parties to the table and incentivise them to actually agree a deal and make it happen?

And if we had an answer to that, we wouldn't be chatting on a George Clooney fan forum, but running the UN. Sigh.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 20:13

hehe running the UN sounds great..... Laughing
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 24 Aug 2014, 20:20

Nah, I'm too busy running MI5, the NSA, the Bilderberg group, fronting for the mafia and doing the PR for George Clooney and his past four exes.  

Hmm, I guess I could squeeze in the UN job on Saturday afternoons?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 24 Aug 2014, 20:28

LOL!  LOL!  LOL!  LOL!  Yahooooo  Yahooooo  Yahooooo  Yahooooo 

You are "MULTI TASKING" again hehehe
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 24 Aug 2014, 21:40

Heck, Katie, I don't think we could do any worse than they're doing!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 24 Aug 2014, 21:50

LornaDoone wrote:Well let's start with all members Hamas stepping down from Palestine's government and also Netanyahu because these are the hardliners on each side.

Living in a country (Ireland) where a few short years ago we were up to our necks in "terrorist activity" ...... I have seen that all it takes is good intent......Men of enormous "charisma", wrong word but I can't think of another, men with peace in their hearts.....to lead the way to peace.......A peace needed, longed for on both sides... at any "peaceful" cost.

A year ago, a most hated terrorist sat and had a banquet at Windsor Castle, hosted by The Queen of England....never, never in our wildest dreams did we imagine it could happen......believe me when I say it was a day I will never forget.....I won't forget the constant bombings and loss of life either......
So who knows..... in years to come *Netanyahu may host a black tie dinner for Hamas....... It can happen, it did happen here.

Makes the loss of every child's life such a f****** pitiful SHAME on ALL parties involved today..... 
Shame on my own country's past included.

*I am not equating the Lovely Queen, who has my utmost admiration with Netanyahu...it is just comparison purpose only.

Regarding the letter, some write letters,  some don't......George just gets things done!
George, probably won't have time to read it, George TCB's ....Takes Care of Business, (humanitarian business) thats why I am a fan.
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2