George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion

+4
Sevens
LizzyNY
party animal - not!
Missa
8 posters

Go down

SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion Empty SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion

Post by Missa Sun 27 Jul 2014, 22:02

Haven't rewatched yet, but I remember feeling that more than in any other movie, I was watching George play himself in this one.mm
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion Empty Re: SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion

Post by party animal - not! Sun 27 Jul 2014, 22:20

Saw it last night on British tv (they giving us something else to watch just in case we're not interested in the Commonwealth Games) and there were definitely parts which seemed to come easily to him I thought, but none of us really know, do we?

When you can get any girl you like for quite a lot of your life, I'm sure that must distract you from settling down!!

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion Empty Re: SUMMER REWATCH: UP IN THE AIR Discussion

Post by Missa Sun 27 Jul 2014, 22:25

I didn't even mean the storyline so much as his general demeanor.  The character seems very much how I imagine George to be in real life.  For example, in the scene where he and Vera Farmiga are chatting at the bar, he just seems very natural.  But I guess that a) that's his job as an actor, and b) George has a lot of practice chatting up pretty women in bars.  Smile
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 28 Jul 2014, 03:21

I think this is one of George's best films, but I find it difficult to watch and kind of depressing - not because of the subject matter, but because Jason Reitman said he based key aspects of the character on George and George himself said parts of the character were very personal to him.

Considering that Ryan Bingham was so isolated by his lifestyle and philosophy of life (wonder which one came first) it's easy to draw parallels to George's life at the time. This movie just makes me sad.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 28 Jul 2014, 03:45

I've watched this one for like five times.... it's kind of my first Clooney movie.I really like the first 90% part of it, as George acts so naturally and effortlessly... but the ending saddens me deeply...
Anyway the script and performances stand out....that middle-aged elite guy charms me in the opening ten minutes and makes me a fan. So this film means a lot to me.
When I inquired about this guy who reportedly got nominated for Best Actor three times in just five years, a friend of mine told me to just check out with Up in the Air which I did, and because I barely knew anything about him even his looks, this film turned out to be an amazing surprise for me. I have to say I LOVE it at first sight! The tone, the lines and the chemistry among the three main actors are just classic.

Last edited by Sevens on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 04:41; edited 1 time in total
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 28 Jul 2014, 04:03

I also think its one of his best, maybe because it seems very close to who George appears to be.  That scene where he discovers Vera is married is awful to watch, especially after Georges character takes a chance on wanting more out of life than he is currently experiencing.  I love watching all the interaction between George/Anna the most, a lot of true and heartfelt moments in that movie.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 28 Jul 2014, 04:04

Hi, Sevens! I agree with you about the movie. Everything in it is pitch-perfect and it is a wonderful introduction to George and his work. Your friend was smart to suggest it to you.

My problem with the movie is purely personal. I find it very sad that both Jason Reitman and George saw so much similarity between George and Ryan Bingham. Hopefully that has changed.

Theminis - He said he loved working with Anna Kendrick and that he was sure she would steal every scene - knowing that made him up his game.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 28 Jul 2014, 04:54

Hi Lizzy I didn't feel that way the first time watching this as I knew nothing about the real life George Cooney then, I could see your point... Though I still hope when Ryan persuades his sister's husband about the meaning of marriages, part of him inside believes this and the rest doubts that. George himself maybe a bit more complicated and vulnerable than Ryan.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 28 Jul 2014, 08:48

This movie is one of my favorites. I love it  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 28 Jul 2014, 13:59

I think I've said before that I found the subject
matter of the film depressing....being told about redundancies such a cold manner by the main character.
I found I didn't care about him as a person at all.

Now Michael Clayton I did find empathy with.
One of my favourite Clooney films.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 28 Jul 2014, 14:16

Jo - I loved Michael Clayton, too - possibly my favorite next to FDTD - but that character was much more emotionally engaged with people and very aware of what his job was doing to his life.

I didn't see Ryan Bingham as cold - more like shut down to protect himself from being hurt - sort of like what doctors do to distance themselves from their patients so they can remain objective and keep doing the job. That's why I wondered which came first - Did he choose the job because of the type of person he was, or did the job cause him to shut down? I don't think he didn't care. I think he wouldn't let himself care. Sad either way, IMO. And even sadder that people thought that George and the character were so much alike.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 28 Jul 2014, 14:31

sad
very sad
yes
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 28 Jul 2014, 15:58

You've got a good point there Lizzy.
I never gave it a thought that George was anything
like the character he was playing.
Has he ever openly discussed that role at all ?
Maybe I've not noticed it as the film didn't appeal.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 28 Jul 2014, 16:08

Golly Gosh.....there are 25 Goofs listed for
Up in the Air !!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are also 25 Trivia items listed.....most of which I don't recall at all. LOL

This one is interesting......

"Co-writer/Director Jason Reitman stated that if George Clooney had passed on the role of Ryan Bingham, he would have rewritten the part for Steve Martin.
Reitman claimed that the movie would have become "much more like Lost in Translation (2003) was for Bill Murray.""
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 29 Jul 2014, 00:34

I always wonder why I never spot these goofs and continuity errors until someone else points them out to me - like the one in Ocean's 11 where Rusty is eating from a goblet, then a plate in the same shot. Guess I'm just not very observant. Very Happy

Joanna- When he was interviewed on ITAS he said the role of Ryan Bingham had a lot that was personal to him. Since he's not firing people for a living I assume he meant aspects of the character's life and philosophy.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 29 Jul 2014, 07:12

or carrying luggage here and there
spending long time alone into caravans or hotels (fab we know) but anyway not your home
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 29 Jul 2014, 13:20

Lizzy think your assessment is right, also true that he travels a lot and though having many homes doesn't spend a great deal of time there (that we know of). One of my favourite scenes is the one outside the airport where he's telling Anna Kendrick that he doesn't get those warm funny feelings. Classic
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 29 Jul 2014, 13:42

Theminis - I think one reason he loves spending the summer at Villa Oleandra is that he can bring his friends there. With his schedule (and theirs) they probably see each other a lot less than people think.

I've traveled for 2 months at a time and, except for your traveling companions, you are surrounded by strangers. It's interesting and fun - and tiring and frustrating. You can meet a lot of new people, but it isn't the same as being home with your friends and family. I don't know how he manages to stay so good natured when he must be jet lagged half the time.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 29 Jul 2014, 15:29

the "sell me marriage" moment?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 29 Jul 2014, 22:01

Yes Its Me, the sell me marriage moment, really enjoyed that particular scene.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 29 Jul 2014, 22:44

Lizzy, he's often said jetlag's not a problem, 'cos he sleeps!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 29 Jul 2014, 23:11

good for him!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down