George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’

+13
amaretti
Missa
phys major
Picachu
Nicky80
it's me
Joanna
LizzyNY
Cece42
Butterfly
Pita428
party animal - not!
melbert
17 posters

Go down

George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ Empty George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’

Post by melbert Sun 20 Jul 2014, 18:09

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Win McNamee/Getty Images
July 20, 2014 | 08:00AM PT  
David S. Cohen
Senior Editor, Features@Variety_DSCohen

“It’s just fun to slap those bad guys every once in a while, knock ‘em around,” George Clooney told Variety Friday about triumphing in his spat with British tabloid the Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail and its website MailOnline.com, which has frequently been sued for libel and regularly loses, published an article claiming the mother of Clooney’s fiance objected to their upcoming marriage. It deleted the article and apologized after Clooney wrote an op-ed that was published in USA Today, saying the Mail’s article was demonstrably false.

Clooney, the son of newsman Nick Clooney, has held journalism in high regard (as seen in his film “Good Night, and Good Luck”). So while he says he understands that some tabloids have always made things up, he is concerned about bigger issues than the Daily Mail’s lies about himself or even his family.
Speaking by phone from Lake Como in Italy, Clooney said “I would sit with my friends and we’d just go, ‘So they just sat at a computer and just went, “OK, this is what I’m gonna say today.” I mean, literally, because you just go ‘There isn’t literally an element of truth in this.’ You just laugh, and let it go. I’m used to it after all these years. But the thing that bothers me is how much the Daily Mail is now bleeding into American press and becoming a source for some pretty legitimate newspapers. So that’s the thing that worries me.”

“Those are really bad guys and they do tend to tee off on everybody,” said Clooney. “It’s fun when you can go, ‘Well, this one, I know I have all the facts right.’ Usually the argument is: ‘Hey, we’re not gonna tell you our source,’ and, ‘Prove it.’ And when they actually do it themselves it’s so great. You go, ‘OK, well you obviously just screwed this (up), so I think I can get you now.”

The actor-activist said he’s learned that he has to choose his battles, whether it’s choosing which atrocities in East Africa to spotlight or which lies out of London to object to. “That’s why you pick your fights at a tabloid. Every day they write things that aren’t true, but every once in a while they write something that is actually dangerous to your family, and it’s probably not true. And that’s the one you pick.”

Of his engagement to activist-lawyer-author Amal Alamuddin, Clooney quipped “I’m marrying up.”
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ Empty Re: George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’

Post by party animal - not! Sun 20 Jul 2014, 18:33

This is great - and he's right!!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’ Empty Re: George Clooney on Beating the Daily Mail: ‘It’s Fun to Slap The Bad Guys’

Post by Pita428 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 19:08

He may be right but I think he asking for trouble. Sometimes it's better to take the high road, prove your point and shut up. Gloating is not attractive.
Pita428
Pita428
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 20 Jul 2014, 19:16

Ype.

Was referring to his last remark really............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pita428 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 19:25

Ah PAN. I had some thoughts on that one too......
Pita428
Pita428
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly Sun 20 Jul 2014, 19:40

"bleeding into American press"   Stretchered out hahahaha  Very Happy I like this phrase...couldn't find the bleeding smiley though.
Butterfly
Butterfly
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 20:01

"MARRYING UP"  REALLY?

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 20 Jul 2014, 20:06

Unfortunately, he's right That story got picked up by lots of mainstream media here before he called the DM out and even now those same outlets are still picking up stories from the DM as if nothing had happened. They're all a bunch of hypocrites.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 20 Jul 2014, 20:39

"Speaking by phone from Lake Como in Italy, Clooney said
“I would sit with my friends and we’d just go,
‘So they just sat at a computer and just went,
“OK, this is what I’m gonna say today.”

I mean, literally, because you just go
‘There isn’t literally an element of truth in this.’
You just laugh, and let it go. I’m used to it after all these years.""

That's a great pen picture of George and just how I'd imagined his reaction would be to the gossipy-trashy- rubbish written about him over the years.
That's why I never like seeing it reproduced here on COH, but I have come to terms with it now.
But acceptance doesn't mean I like it.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 20 Jul 2014, 21:10

lol
it pronto made me think at throwing up
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 21:58

Thanks for the article.....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 22:08

Seems like he can't let go and needs to hit the DM one more time  Very Happy
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Sun 20 Jul 2014, 22:43

Good for him, the DM sucks
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by phys major Sun 20 Jul 2014, 22:48

Facetious pig
phys major
phys major
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 20 Jul 2014, 23:10

I think that's the nicest thing I've ever heard George say about a girlfriend to the press.  I don't think I've ever hear him say anything beyond "She's a great girl."  "I'm marrying up" is quite a compliment coming from him.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sun 20 Jul 2014, 23:59

I agree . I do not think he is but he is sweet .  Very Happy 

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 21 Jul 2014, 00:06

Do we have this? Does it belong here?

If Amal Alamuddin can bag George Clooney, so can we!

Dear Mr Clooney,

To most of us, Amal Alamuddin was just another name – she could be a friend, a neighbour or another acquaintance. But what we really didn’t know was that this name would one day be linked to you.

We would have never guessed that you of all people, the fantastic silver fox of Hollywood, would tie the knot and that too overnight! She is engaged to you, the ‘world’s sexiest man’ and one of the most sought-after bachelors. I hope your ego has taken a huge boost while you read this. She has set the standard so high that if we had to let go of generations of infatuation, we would be glad that we’ve lost you to her. Because we approve!

You need to know that Ms Alamuddin has made the entire Muslim community, which is usually under fire for some reason or the other, proud. And not just the Muslim community but even the world’s working female populace.

Do you have any idea how hard it is for a woman to work and then come home just in time to set food on the table? And are we thanked for it?

No.

But ultimately this is the price we have to pay. We, women, juggle priorities for most of our lives and for women who make their careers their first priority, you have made this sacrifice worth it.

I think women today can’t decide whether to be jealous of Ms Alamuddin or Ms Alamuddin’s curriculum vitae (CV).  You are betrothed to a woman who has not only advised Kofi Annan, former secretary-general of the United Nations (UN) and who acts now as a joint special envoy of the UN and Arab League on Syria (huge deal by the way) but also represented the controversial Wikileaks founder and king of the free media movement, Julian Assange.

I mean how many women can come home and when asked about their day say,

“Nothing much, I just represented Ukraine’s former prime minister.”

Or

“Yeah, the day was okay. I am now heading the committee that is investigating an assassination, no big deal.”

Well, it may not be a big deal for you Ms Alamuddin but such an impressive CV makes me want to work even harder and beat this record. I don’t want to merely come home and rant to my parents about how my boss makes me do coffee runs every half hour, especially, since potential suitors are no longer on the horizon.

So, Mr Clooney, I hope you understand what you are getting yourself into. Ms Alamuddin is not one of your usual conquests. She isn’t blonde, a waitress and isn’t vaguely familiar. The pressure is on you though because she is one of Britain’s most eligible bachelorettes and was recently voted London’s hottest lawyer. She has so many credits to her name that it makes me wonder if you haven’t already developed an inferiority complex.

Even if you haven’t developed one yet, don’t worry, it’s quite inevitable.

Mr Clooney, how does it feel to be on the other side of the coin? After all, there is always a first time for everything.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 19:06; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Mon 21 Jul 2014, 00:09

I don't like the phrase "Marrying up". Sounds very class-minded and calculated to me.Maybee it's a cultural difference but I have never in real life heard anyone talking about marriage like that. I would have prefered if he had said that he is marrying someone who is a better person then him. That would have been a compliment to her. This isn't a compliment in my ears.

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Mon 21 Jul 2014, 00:34

What does exactly mean "marrying up"?

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 21 Jul 2014, 00:48

It means marrying someone better than yourself - usually someone of a higher social or economic class. IMO, this is not the case with George, but I'm probably prejudiced. Very Happy 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Mon 21 Jul 2014, 01:00

Lol Very Happy thank you

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 21 Jul 2014, 01:09

What if Amal says the same thing about George?
Dont know if we'd ever get an quote from Amal about this marriage or her fiance.

Last edited by Sevens on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 01:42; edited 1 time in total
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 21 Jul 2014, 01:19

Sevens, take at this. It explains everything

Very self-deprecating comment actually.........but he's obviously very happy about it

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 20:21

Just a side note

MailOnline’s ad revenue soars, Clooney be damned

Sorry, George Clooney: MailOnline’s second-quarter advertising revenue was up 49 percent over the same period in 2013. Digital advertising brought in £15m (about $25.5m), which “offset a £3m (5 per cent) fall in print advertising revenue from the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, which stood at £46m for the quarter.” (PressGazette) | The Daily Mail’s “great stories you may not have seen anywhere else” are often untrue or ripped off.

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 24 Jul 2014, 23:17

what does it mean this last post?  scratch 
thanks in advance
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 24 Jul 2014, 23:33

It means that the Daily Mail's on-line version is a big money maker in terms of advertisements purchased--despite George's pointing out their false stories and dishonest reporting (or partially because of?). The print versions of the same newspaper has declining advertising revenue.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 24 Jul 2014, 23:35

ok got it
thanks Smile
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down