George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

+16
melbert
Missa
ktsue2002
Picachu
lionheart
PigPen
LizzyNY
lelacorb
it's me
Boshkash
Sevens
Mazy
Alisonfan
Joanna
party animal - not!
Nicky80
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 Empty Re: Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

Post by party animal - not! Sat 12 Jul 2014, 09:36

Really interesting article about the Daily Mail's massive influence and growth and praise for the necessary Clooney action

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology - Page 2 Empty Re: Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

Post by party animal - not! Sat 12 Jul 2014, 09:38

And John Cleese' Twitter comment@

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 12 Jul 2014, 09:40

Ah pan....you just beat me to it with the NYT link.
I'll see if I can paste it now.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 12 Jul 2014, 09:47

party animal - not! wrote:Really interesting article about the Daily Mail's massive influence and growth and praise for the necessary Clooney action

Heard the News on George Clooney? This Much Is True: He’s Livid
By RAVI SOMAIYA and CHRISTINE HAUGHNEYJULY 11, 2014

The tabloid headline might read something like this: Sexiest Man Alive Becomes Angriest Man Alive.

This week, George Clooney condemned The Daily Mail, the British newspaper, after it reported that the Lebanese mother of his fiancée objected to their wedding on religious grounds. Relatives had joked about the death of the bride if she defied her mother’s wishes, the article said.

“We have family members all over the world, and the idea that someone would inflame any part of that world for the sole reason of selling papers should be criminal,” Mr. Clooney wrote in a response published in USA Today, adding, “When they put my family and my friends in harm’s way, they cross far beyond just a laughable tabloid and into the arena of inciting violence.”

The Daily Mail removed the article from its website, but not before other outlets published similar reports. Mr. Clooney refused to accept the paper’s apology and again responded in USA Today. “The Mail knew the story in question was false and printed it anyway,” he wrote.

Photo

George Clooney took to the pages of USA Today to condemn a report about his coming marriage to Amal Alamuddin. Credit Startraksphoto.com
For The Daily Mail, its dust-up with Mr. Clooney was, in some respects, all in a day’s work. With a gossipy, salacious and celebrity-obsessed approach to news, The Daily Mail’s web publication — Mail Online — has become the most visited English language newspaper site in the world. And its tabloid tactics are part of the cut and thrust of doing business in a British newspaper culture that is generally faster and looser than its American counterpart.

But Mr. Clooney’s blistering attack on The Daily Mail and its reporting practices comes as the paper’s website continues its aggressive expansion in the United States. The Mail Online now has more than 36.4 million unique readers a month in the United States, according to ComScore — up 30 percent in the last year.

“They realized that these kind of stories that seemed like uniquely British tabloid stories were traveling, and they realized they could build something here,” said Ken Doctor, a media analyst.

The Mail Online has also pushed into the United States market as traditional celebrity journalism has come under severe pressure. A glut of entrants has flooded the market and the celebrities themselves are turning to social media to communicate directly with fans. Steven Cohn, editor of the Media Industry Newsletter, notes that consumers of celebrity journalism no longer depend on celebrity weeklies in the same way.

“It’s really a sign of the times. In the pre-digital era, you would read the latest hot scoop in the weekly People or US Weekly or Star or InTouch,” Mr. Cohn said. “Now you get the news right on your phone. You’re still competing against technology. They’re certainly not what they used to be.”

Celebrities have also learned how to control the narrative about their careers and personal lives. Kanye West and Kim Kardashian subverted paparazzi by posting a wedding photograph on Instagram. Mr. Clooney took ownership of the reports about his marriage by twice using USA Today to criticize The Daily Mail. And this week, LeBron James held basketball fans in suspense about where he would be playing next year before revealing his return to Cleveland in a first-person essay in Sports Illustrated on Friday.

As celebrities have begun to exercise more power over their publicity, the outlets that cover them have had their business fortunes suffer, according to the most recent figures tracked by the Alliance for Audited Media. From 2012 to 2013, newsstand sales for People magazine dropped 14 percent and those for US Weekly fell about 13 percent. Over the last decade, newsstand sales for People have declined 43 percent and those for US Weekly have dropped 34 percent

The Mail Online signaled its arrival on American shores when it started covering celebrities in Los Angeles in early 2011. In 2012, it opened a New York office in SoHo to expand its coverage. It now has 160 employees in the United States. In June, Jon Steinberg, former president of BuzzFeed, was named chief executive of Mail Online’s North American operations. His focus, in part, will be on increasing its advertising revenue and expanding its operations.

Mr. Clooney is hardly the first to challenge the reporting of Mail Online, which declined to comment for this article. It has received numerous cease-and-desist letters accusing it of plagiarism from publications like The Daily News and The New York Times. The Mail Online settled a lawsuit with a celebrity photo agency for publishing photographs of celebrities like Pamela Anderson and Robbie Williams without the agency’s approval. In September, a nude model sued for defamation after the Mail Online used her photograph in an article about an H.I.V.-positive actress, claiming she was not the performer featured in the story.

But the star power of Mr. Clooney, 53, has put a sharper focus on the Mail Online and its journalism. The son of a television news anchor, Mr. Clooney has won two Academy Awards, and was nominated for eight, including best director for “Good Night, and Good Luck,” a movie about the TV journalist Edward R. Murrow. He has become increasingly active in politics and human rights issues, including the conflict in Sudan.

His romantic life has been a favorite subject of the tabloids, which have for years pursued him near his homes in Los Angeles and Lake Como, Italy, and reported on his girlfriends. But this year, Mr. Clooney proposed to Amal Alamuddin, 36, a Lebanese-born human rights lawyer who lives in London. Since their engagement, the British news media has subjected the couple to the type of attention normally reserved for the royal family.

The Mail Online’s article said that Ms. Alamuddin’s mother, Baria Alamuddin, had been “telling half of Beirut” that she was unimpressed with Mr. Clooney and that she wanted her daughter to marry within her own Druse religion, an offshoot of Islam. In his response, Mr. Clooney said his future mother-in-law was not Druse and was in no way against the marriage.

In a somewhat muddled apology after taking the article down, the Mail Online said the article was not, as Mr. Clooney claimed, “completely fabricated,” but also acknowledged that it was inaccurate. A trusted journalist supplied the information, it said, which was based on conversations with “senior members of the Lebanese community in the U.K. and the Druse in Beirut.” It would begin an investigation, the paper said, and discuss giving Mr. Clooney the opportunity to set the record straight.

Mr. Clooney did not use the Mail Online to respond to the coverage. Instead, his articles for USA Today received more than one million page views, and drew the support of fellow celebrities.

“I totally disagree with George Clooney” about The Daily Mail, the British comedian John Cleese wrote on Twitter.
“They are much, much worse than that.”
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 12 Jul 2014, 09:59

GEORGE CLOONEY'S FEUDS

Here's Why You Don't Want to Ever Mess With George Clooney
by Maria Mercedes Lara 7/11/14

George Clooney may be one of Hollywood's most beloved stars, but he isn't a stranger to well-publicized feuding. The handsome actor-turned-director is known to speak his mind, especially when it involves defending others or sticking up for his political beliefs. In fact, George was back in the news this week for his takedown of a conservative British tabloid that wrote a false story about his future mother-in-law and her religion. Of course, this isn't George's first time tangling with others in the public eye — read on for his most memorable wars of words with big-time actors, politicians, and award-winning directors.

Source: Getty / Jeff Snyder
George Clooney vs. The Daily Mail

Earlier this week, British tabloid The Daily Mail claimed that George's future mother-in-law doesn't approve of him as a husband for her daughter Amal Alamuddin, because he isn't from the Druze sect of Islam. The report went on to say that Amal's mother told "half of Beirut" that she was unhappy with George and joked about the Druze custom of excommunicating and physically harming men and women who marry outside of its sect. George responded with an op-ed in USA Today that slammed the report as "dangerous":

"The Daily Mail has printed a completely fabricated story about my fiancée's mother opposing our marriage for religious reasons. It says Amal's mother has been telling 'half of Beirut' that she's against the wedding. It says they joke about traditions in the Druze religion that end up with the death of the bride. Let me repeat that: the death of the bride. First of all, none of the story is factually true. Amal's mother is not Druze. She has not been to Beirut since Amal and I have been dating, and she is in no way against the marriage — but none of that is the issue. . . . This lie involves larger issues. The irresponsibility, in this day and age, to exploit religious differences where none exist, is at the very least negligent and more appropriately dangerous. We have family members all over the world, and the idea that someone would inflame any part of that world for the sole reason of selling papers should be criminal."

The Daily Mail later apologized for the story, but insisted that it wasn't a fabrication. George rejected their apology and provided proof that they had previously reported that Amal's mother is not Druze, so she couldn't have made those comments.

Source: Getty / Barry King
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:09

Thank you, Jo. Their readership figures are stunning aren't they? Would be great if they could become true journalists and check their sources........!

And now it becomes more and more apparent why some would rather go through the media organs who would rather print the facts should they have any news to deliver!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:13

I'm wondering if now other media outlets will be so quick to pick up stories published in the DM without checking out the facts first. I'm sure the media knew the DM was unreliable, but now,thanks to George, everyone knows the DM lies and fabricates stories. If I were an editor, the last place I'd go for a story is the Daily Mail - and if I had to use their coverage I'd check it up, down and sideways before I passed it on.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 12 Jul 2014, 14:21

It may well do some good.....especially if it's in the
printed version here in UK.
I haven't been out and about to see one though.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 12 Jul 2014, 14:28

Joanna - I'm curious. Do other UK media often pick up stories from te DM? Do any of them take the DM to task for misrepresenting the truth?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 12 Jul 2014, 14:54

Great article in the Daily Beast (Tina Brown's the editor) puts everything in a nutshell, and explains the possible legal ramifications either side of the pond

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Sat 12 Jul 2014, 15:05

Thank you PAN.  You're always on top of things.  We're lucky to have you on board.  I agree with the  article  esp 
Bragman sees a downside risk for Clooney, that "by calling attention to it he's making a bigger story out of it.   He continued that Clooney might have done well by ignoring the story because he's operating in an environment where "the tabloids print these stupid, made-up pieces of crap, and even the people who read this shit don't believe it."     This thing is taking on a life of it's own.  I appreciate what everyone is saying, etc.  But IMO it's time to put the pen down and walk away.  You've  had your say George, proven your point and have your name and photo on every reputable publication and news outlet. Now, let it go.

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 12 Jul 2014, 15:40

party animal - not! wrote:Great article in the Daily Beast (Tina Brown's the editor) puts everything in a nutshell, and explains the possible legal ramifications either side of the pond

ENTERTAINMENT07. 12. 14
HOLLYWOOD VS. THE DAILY MAIL: GEORGE CLOONEY AND ANGELINA JOLIE TAKE ON THE UK'S LEANEST, MEANEST GOSSIP MACHINE
by Lizzie Crocker, Lloyd Grove

Its writers moralize freely over sex, dieting, and women’s career and reproductive choices. Its addictive “sidebar of shame” catalogues every celebrity roll of fat, fashion faux pas, and shaky early-morning nightclub exit. Today it’s “the most stylish fat person you’d ever meet,” followed by the shocking story of actress Kristen Stewart disembarking from a transatlantic flight with an “unkempt” pixie cut and “looking a bit worse for the wear.”

For years the Daily Mail has been the British celebrity’s bete noir, printing every rumor—sometimes true, oftentimes false—and documenting every nipple slip for its legion of middle class readers in middle England. In 2010 MailOnline, its wildly successful internet arm, opened bureaus in Los Angeles and New York, bringing a heavy dose of the U.K.’s tabloid culture to the States. Today, MailOnline is the world’s most-read news website. And as its influence and readership expands, the paper is feeling the wrath of Hollywood mega-stars.

Earlier this week, actor George Clooney unloaded on the tabloid for publishing a “completely fabricated” story about fiancé Amal Alamuddin’s religious affiliation and his soon-to-be mother-in-law’s supposed disapproval of their coupling.

And joining him in taking up cudgels is Angelina Jolie, who is allegedly suing the Daily Mail for breach of privacy after they posted a video of the actress from her “dark days” in the late ‘90s (and originally published by the National Enquirer) earlier this week: “Bloodshot hollow eyes, emaciated arms and rambling on the phone: Haunting video of Angelina Jolie the heroin addict.”

In a landmark victory for Clooney, the world’s most unapologetic rag apologized to the actor on Friday, admitting the story was “inaccurate” while also insisting that its report was “supplied in good faith by a reputable and trusted freelance journalist.” After initially modifying the story, the MailOnline later scrubbed it altogether.

“I thank the Mail for its apology. Not that I would ever accept it, but because in doing so they've exposed themselves as the worst kind of tabloid.”
But Clooney wasn’t in a forgiving mood. “I thank the Mail for its apology,” the actor wrote in USA Today. “Not that I would ever accept it, but because in doing so they've exposed themselves as the worst kind of tabloid.” (The Daily Mail didn’t respond to a request for comment.)

Los Angeles PR guru Howard Bragman told The Daily Beast that Clooney seldom responds to the avalanche of tabloid stories about him. "He's the opposite of the boy who cried wolf. When George talks, people pay attention, and what he's trying to call attention to is this injustice, and what the Mail was trying to do was make an apology and move on. And what George was saying is, 'No, you're not moving on so quickly, guys.’” Bragman added: "It's unusual for any moderately credible journalistic outlet to pull down a story, but they did, and the apologized. And then Clooney nailed them on some of the nuance."

Bragman sees a downside risk for Clooney, that "by calling attention to it he's making a bigger story out of it.” An A-list publicist, who asked not to be identified because Clooney is not a client, called the star's response to the Mail "brilliant and ballsy” but agreed that he “might risk that they're going to get him back, that they're going to find something that they've got him on. He'll be Target No. 1 for the entire tabloid world."

He continued that Clooney might have done well by ignoring the story because he's operating in an environment where "the tabloids print these stupid, made-up pieces of crap, and even the people who read this shit don't believe it." But the Daily Mail’s website, he points out, “aggressively markets itself...as a place for showbiz gossip, particularly American gossip." Clooney's personal publicist, Stan Rosenfield, declined to comment.
And this presents an unique opportunity for American celebrities interested in damaging the Hollywood gossip machine. Indeed, it’s no coincidence that Clooney wrenched an apology from the

Daily Mail and not, say, an American publication that repeated the charges, because Britain’s strict libel laws notoriously are greatly biased in favor of complainants. As one lawyer told The Guardian, “in the UK you do not have to prove malice, as you do in America....[where] the right to freedom of expression is enshrined in the US constitution under the First Amendment.”

In the UK courts stars have long waged war on their tabloid persecutors. Back in 2006, The Guardian reported that defamation cases brought by celebrities against newspapers “have more than doubled in the past year, as an increasing number of American stars decide to fight cases in the British courts,” while noting that actress Kate Hudson sued the National Enquirer in London, where it produces a local edition, because of its favorable legal climate. The paper apologized and forked over an undisclosed sum in “damages.”

The Daily Mail’s brushes with the law in Britain are so numerous that its Wikipedia entry features a very abridged--yet still very long--list of lawsuits brought by its celebrity targets, including the “substantial damages” it paid to Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling in May.

But try as Clooney might, the Daily Mail (and it’s 180 million monthly web readers) aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Because in a way, everyone needs the Daily Mail. The left-wing bien-pensant read it for the purpose of expressing shocked outrage, the right-wing as a source for its outrage. And while big celebrities loath its intrusion and sloppiness with facts, those chasing fame long to be in its pages.

Despite the Clooney and Jolie squalls, day in, day out, there is something for every gossip-hound to love, and feel guilty for loving--and every sentient human to hate--while secretly clicking and clicking and clicking...
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 12 Jul 2014, 15:42

LizzyNY wrote:Joanna - I'm curious. Do other UK media often pick up stories from te DM? Do any of them take the DM to task for misrepresenting the truth?

Sorry Lizzy, I don't know.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 12 Jul 2014, 17:00

If you look very carefully at all the small print of the Daily Beast, it says that the law in the uk makes it easier to take action . Hugh Grant etc have done just that. But to be honest I think Our Hero has done a better job in bringing to the world's attention - and should he be resident in the UK - we'll, I'm sure all the media lawyers in the world are aware of what is possible - including Amal with her entertainment law qualification.

He won't tho. He'll leave that as his last resort

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 12 Jul 2014, 17:35

"He continued that Clooney might have done well by ignoring the story because he's operating in an environment where "the tabloids print these stupid, made-up pieces of crap, and even the people who read this shit don't believe it." But the Daily Mail’s website, he points out, “aggressively markets itself...as a place for showbiz gossip, particularly American gossip." Clooney's personal publicist, Stan Rosenfield, declined to comment."

Did George say to Stan, "don't worry, I'll take care of this one!"
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 12 Jul 2014, 18:04

he “might risk that they're going to get him back, that they're going to find something that they've got him on. He'll be Target No. 1 for the entire tabloid world."

yep

or they will go
fūkk
that man will start with his  Angry 

let him alone  Drink
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 12 Jul 2014, 18:17

It really could go either way It's Me.  They will dig and dig until they uncover major shit to totally destroy his credibility, OR just say "fuck him, he's NOT all that".  It could feasibly our loss with less pics and less articles.  Will they turn their collective cold shoulders like they did at his premiere after his Princess Diana tirade and not even take his pics or talk to him.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 12 Jul 2014, 18:20

Mel - Could be. I think he must have been really angry to take on this fight, but he's really media-savvy and knew what he was starting - including what the consequences could be.

To those who are saying he shouldn't have called out the DM because they may go after him in the future - they probably will, but they probably would have anyway. It's what they do.

Someone had to bring this issue to a world audience. With so much competition from the internet all our news outlets are becoming more like the tabloids. Pretty soon we won't be able to trust anything. That's why I'm glad George used his position  to make this a public fight and not just another lawsuit. He'll probably let it die down now, but he took the moral high ground and made his point. Now it's up to the journalists out there to do the right thing - and us to call them on it when they don't.

LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 12 Jul 2014, 18:32

we will see
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sat 12 Jul 2014, 22:27

That saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" comes to mind, however I think George is just too damn famous for this to really affect him.   Certain UK publications may give him the cold shoulder but there are many many more that wont, will they try to ruin his credibility, lets hope not. 

George has picked a good battle here, the DM were irresponsible and he proved it.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 12 Jul 2014, 22:37

Well, I'm in love with George all over again.

If you're choosing battles, this is one you go after. So what if he gets scathed? It's the principle of the thing. And I can just see him saying, "You should see the other guy."

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Sat 12 Jul 2014, 23:03

Joanna wrote:
animale da party - non wrote: grande articolo del Daily Beast (di Tina Brown l'editor) mette tutto in un guscio di noce, e spiega le possibili implicazioni legali entrambi i lati del pond [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ENTERTAINMENT07. 14 12.
HOLLYWOOD VS. Il Daily Mail: GEORGE CLOONEY E ANGELINA JOLIE assumere più magre, più cattivo MACCHINA GOSSIP DEL REGNO UNITO
da Lizzie Crocker, Lloyd Grove suoi scrittori moralizzare liberamente su sesso, dieta, e le donne di carriera e le scelte riproduttive. Il suo "sidebar della vergogna" addictive cataloga ogni rotolo celebrità di grasso, moda gaffe, e traballante uscita discoteca del primo mattino. Oggi è "la persona più elegante grasso avresti mai incontrato", seguito dalla storia sconvolgente di attrice Kristen Stewart lo sbarco da un volo transatlantico con una "trasandato" pixie cut e "guardando un po 'peggio per l'usura." Per anni l' Daily Mail è stato bete noir della celebrità inglesi, la stampa di ogni voce, a volte vero, spesso falso e documentando ogni nipple slip per la sua legione di lettori borghesi in Inghilterra centrale. Nel 2010 MailOnline, il braccio internet di grande successo, ha aperto uffici a Los Angeles e New York, portando una forte dose di cultura tabloid del Regno Unito agli Stati. Oggi, MailOnline è il sito web di notizie più letto al mondo. E come la sua influenza e lettori si espande, la carta si sente l'ira di super star di Hollywood. All'inizio di questa settimana, l'attore George Clooney scaricato sul tabloid per aver pubblicato una storia "completamente inventato" su affiliazione religiosa del fidanzato Amal Alamuddin e la sua prima a -essere presunta disapprovazione della suocera-del loro accoppiamento. Ed unirsi a lui nel prendere bastoni è Angelina Jolie, che si presume sia stato citato in giudizio il Daily Mail per violazione della privacy dopo aver pubblicato un video dell'attrice dai suoi "giorni bui" in fine degli anni '90 (e pubblicato dalla National Enquirer) all'inizio di questa settimana: "occhi iniettati di sangue vuote, braccia emaciate e vagante sul telefono: Haunting il video di Angelina Jolie del eroinomane." In una vittoria storica per Clooney, il mondo più straccio antipatico scusato con l'attore il Venerdì, ammettendo la storia era "inesatto", mentre anche insistendo sul fatto che la sua relazione è stata "fornito in buona fede da un giornalista freelance affidabile e di fiducia." Dopo aver modificato inizialmente la storia, il MailOnline successivamente rimosso del tutto. "Ringrazio la posta per la sua apologia. Non che avrei mai accettarlo, ma perché così facendo essi si sono già esposti come il peggior tipo di tabloid. « Ma Clooney non era in vena di perdonare. "Ringrazio la posta per la sua apologia", l'attore ha scritto in USA Today. «Non che io avrei mai accettarlo, ma perché così facendo essi stessi sono esposti come il peggior tipo di tabloid." (The Daily Mail non ha risposto a una richiesta di commento.) Los Angeles PR guru Howard Bragman ha detto al Daily Beast che Clooney risponde raramente alla valanga di storie tabloid su di lui. "E 'l'opposto del ragazzo che gridava al lupo. Quando George colloqui, le persone prestano attenzione, e quello che sta cercando di richiamare l'attenzione è questa ingiustizia, e ciò che la posta stava cercando di fare era fare una scusa e andare avanti. E che George stava dicendo è: 'No, non si sta muovendo così rapidamente, ragazzi' ". Bragman ha aggiunto:" E 'insolito per una presa giornalistico moderatamente credibile per tirare giù una storia, ma hanno fatto, e si è scusato. E poi Clooney li inchiodato su alcune delle sfumature. " Bragman vede un rischio di ribasso per Clooney, che "richiamando l'attenzione ad esso che sta facendo una storia più grande fuori di esso." An pubblicista A-list, che ha chiesto di non essere identificato a causa Clooney non è un client, chiamato risposta della stella al Mail "brillante e coraggioso", ma ha convenuto che "potrebbe rischiare che hanno intenzione di farlo tornare, che stanno andando a trovare qualcosa che lo hanno preso su . Sarà No. Obiettivo 1 per il mondo intero tabloid. " Ha continuato che Clooney avrebbe fatto bene ignorando la storia perché è operare in un ambiente in cui "i tabloid stampare queste stupide, fatte-up pezzi di merda, e anche le persone che leggono questa merda non ci credono. " Ma il sito del Daily Mail, fa notare, "aggressivamente si commercializza ... come luogo di spettacolo pettegolezzi, soprattutto pettegolezzi americano". Pubblicista personale di Clooney, Stan Rosenfield, ha rifiutato di commentare. E questo rappresenta un'opportunità unica per le celebrità americane interessate a danneggiare la macchina pettegolezzi di Hollywood. infatti, non è una coincidenza che Clooney strappò le scuse del Daily Mail e non, per esempio, una pubblicazione americana che ripete le accuse, perché le leggi sulla diffamazione severe della Gran Bretagna notoriamente sono molto prevenuto a favore dei ricorrenti. Come uno avvocato ha detto a The Guardian "nel Regno Unito non devi dimostrare malizia, come si fa in America .... [dove] il diritto alla libertà di espressione è sancita dalla Costituzione degli Stati Uniti sotto il Primo Emendamento". Nel Regno Unito tribunali stelle hanno a lungo condotto la guerra sui loro persecutori tabloid. Nel 2006, The Guardian ha riferito che i casi di diffamazione portati dalle celebrità contro i giornali "sono più che raddoppiati nell'ultimo anno, come un numero crescente di star americane decidono di combattere i casi nel British giudici, "pur rilevando che l'attrice Kate Hudson ha citato il National Enquirer a Londra, dove si produce una edizione locale, a causa del suo clima giuridico favorevole. La carta si è scusato e biforcuta su una somma non in "danni". spazzole del Daily Mail con la legge in Gran Bretagna sono così numerosi che la sua voce su Wikipedia offre un molto in forma abbreviata - ma ancora molto lunga - lista di cause intentate dai suoi obiettivi di celebrità , compresi i "danni sostanziali" è pagato per Harry Potter JK Rowling maggio. , ma cercare come Clooney potrebbe, il Daily Mail (e si tratta di 180 milioni di lettori web mensili) non stanno andando da nessuna parte in qualunque momento presto. Perché in un certo senso, tutti hanno bisogno il Daily Mail. L'ala sinistra bien-pensant lesse al fine di esprimere indignazione scioccato, la destra come fonte per la sua indignazione. E mentre grandi star restio sua intrusione e sciatteria con i fatti, chi insegue la fama lunghi per essere nelle sue pagine. Nonostante le burrasche Clooney e Jolie, giorno dopo giorno, c'è qualcosa per ogni pettegolezzo-hound di amare, e si sentono in colpa per amare - e ogni essere umano senziente ad odiare - mentre segretamente clic e clic e clic ...

I do not liken the story of George with that of Angelina Jolie, that George is 100% false, but be careful, the one on Jolie is 100% true, surely they violated his privacy but the story was true.
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 12 Jul 2014, 23:28

Lela - The story was true 20 years ago. Considering what she's done with her life since then, I think publishing that story was a low blow. Other than selling papers (so to speak) what did they hope to accomplish? I hope she wins her lawsuit and gets a ton of money!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Sat 12 Jul 2014, 23:32

LizzyNY wrote:Lela - The story was true 20 years ago. Considering what she's done with her life since then, I think publishing that story was a low blow. Other than selling papers (so to speak) what did they hope to accomplish? I hope she wins her lawsuit and gets a ton of money!
My point was that the stories were not to be put on the same level then I agree that it was a low blow!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by bamboochacha Sun 13 Jul 2014, 04:43

apparently he thrives on arguments therefore, I am sure he is loving every minute of it as, I would suspect, is she (probably the only thing they have in common). wonder what prince andrew thinks of all this?  lol.   flower
bamboochacha
bamboochacha
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sun 13 Jul 2014, 05:10

flower 

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 07:01

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Well, I'm in love with George all over again.

If you're choosing battles, this is one you go after. So what if he gets scathed? It's the principle of the thing. And I can just see him saying, "You should see the other guy."
 Yeah Right   Sofa bounce  Sofa bounce  Sofa bounce
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Sun 13 Jul 2014, 07:51

Are you really worried about what the DM will do or say? Well, I am sorry that none of these events have shown you what kind of publication DM is..no one cares what they say, no one believes them!!

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 13 Jul 2014, 08:19

are you sure no one believes them?

Question 
so why they still there?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Sun 13 Jul 2014, 10:06

There will always be readers for the DM and yes alot do believe what's written but if you read the comments on some stories they do get pulled up for bad reporting and spelling.

There was actual a great example of people believing what they read, a friend of Steven Spielburg posted a picture of Steven with a dinosaur prop from his Jurrasic Park film set with the heading on the lines of how could someone post this picture and be happy they have killed this creature. well the amount of brainless idiots that believed he had killed this dinosaur was amazing. People don't check facts, they just believe what they read and move on. I'll try and find the story and post the link, it was funny.
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Sun 13 Jul 2014, 10:55

Yeah, but what does he have to hide or be harmed if published? He is already known for a lot of scandalous things and very strong opinions, so I don't see anything harmful coming of it..

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 13 Jul 2014, 13:11

Boshkash....."scandalous things" ?

Our Gorgeous George ? Never.

A red blooded man who has sowed a few wild oats
when younger, but nothing "scandalous" as I recall.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 13 Jul 2014, 13:46

sowed what?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 13 Jul 2014, 13:46

George Clooney Proves Shaming Really Is Better Than Suing

Added by Alexandria Ingham on July 12, 2014

George Clooney is proving that shaming really is better than suing a newspaper.
The shaming is something that people are still talking about and are unlikely to forget, despite the publication taking the story down. The news has gone viral, and people around the world are discussing the implications and how bad a tabloid newspaper is.

For those who are unaware still, the Daily Mail published a story that stated there were problems between Clooney and his wife-to-be Amul Alamuddin, because of her mother’s alleged religion.
The outlet explained that those of the Druze faith cannot marry outside of that faith, which is something that Alamuddin will be doing by marrying the 53-year-old actor.

The problem is that the story has been completely fabrications, and the Daily Mail would know that.
In April, the paper published a story that stated Alamuddin’s mother was not a Druze,
so it would void all the arguments for any potential disagreements over the marriage. Just recently, the mothers of the happy couple were even spotted together looking extremely happy and friendly.

Clooney decided to speak out about the story, because it put people around him at risk. He could have gone the route of suing for libel, but decided that naming and shaming the publication was much better.
Over the last few days Clooney really has proved that shaming
is better than suing after all.

By suing, which is something stars in the past have done, all the details are kept relatively quiet. While the public can eventually find out some of the details, they are not all laid out bare. The celebrities often go back to their private lives, leaving the public guessing over their side of the story. While they have every right to do that, the public do have some right to know how the story was fabricated and decide whether the publication is worth buying again in the future.

There are also problems with the court cases being long and drawn out. The judges can even find in favor of the publications because there is not enough evidence against them for a successful libel case.

When someone publicly names and shames a publication in the way that the Oceans 11 actor did, the whole world finds out both sides of the story.
Clooney was able to put out all the reasons why the story was fabricated, and keep his family and future in-laws safe. The publication was even able to issue an apology,
along with a reason behind the fabricated story.

Even though the original story has been taken down, the memory of it is still around. The details of the original story can be found in other publications, along with The Monuments Men’s op-ed pieces with the USA Today. All the works are being shared on social media quickly and effectively, so people can make up their own minds on whether to trust the Daily Mail again.

While suing is fine when it comes to seeking damages for stories that really ruin someone’s reputation, sometimes shaming is the best way to go. Clooney is proving that shaming the Daily Mail really is a better option than suing.

Opinion by Alexandria Ingham

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Joanna on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 13:51; edited 1 time in total
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Sun 13 Jul 2014, 13:50

Some of his love life choices are scandalous for me Jo, but maybe not for all ..

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 13 Jul 2014, 13:52

Boshkash wrote:Some of his love life choices are scandalous for me Jo, but maybe not for all ..

Ah I see that's it's your opinion. OK fine.  Thumbs up! 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 13 Jul 2014, 13:55

it's me wrote:sowed what?

English definition of “sow your wild oats”

sow your wild oats

› If a young man sows his wild oats , he has a period of his life when
he does a lot of exciting things and has a lot of sexual relationships .

(Definition of sow your wild oats from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
& Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 13 Jul 2014, 14:37

oh  Neutral 

thanks
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 13 Jul 2014, 16:21

Boshkash wrote:Yeah, but what does he have to hide or be harmed if published? He is already known for a lot of scandalous things and very strong opinions, so I don't see anything harmful coming of it..
Boshkash, I think that one of the reasons is the quote about a Druze woman being murdered for marrying outside the Druze faith, and the non-Druze male whose penis was lobbed off.  He may not have considered those as imminent threats to his friends and family, but the fact that the DM included those examples in their story, with some of George's FANatic crazies out there, did George think that THEY would act on something?  JMHAO.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 13 Jul 2014, 16:28

he is always worrying about fanatic fans
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Mon 14 Jul 2014, 09:19

I don't know if their story was true or not, but since I am Arabic, I think that Arabs are taking it lightly, the whole relationship, it was a surprise in the beginning, but I can assure you, we have bigger and more important issues than a Hollywood actor and a British with a Lebanese origins lawyer engagement ..

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Mon 14 Jul 2014, 12:16

Well said Boshkash, never was a truer word spoken.

I see what is happening in M.E and my prayers are with the whole region.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 14 Jul 2014, 13:44

Boshkash - I pray every day for a peaceful resolution to the situation in the Middle East, but I do think the trouble there may be the reason George spoke out. Unfortunately, there would be publicity value for some lunatic to claim they had stopped this marriage through some kind of violent act against George or Amal. For the DM to put the idea out there is despicable. George was right - they were inciting violence and it should be criminal.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Mon 14 Jul 2014, 13:57

Thank you for your kind words, and yes, I agree with everything he said because I believe a huge name like him, shaming a tabloid for its irresponspility is more influential than ignoring it as some people suggested.

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2