George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

+16
melbert
Missa
ktsue2002
Picachu
lionheart
PigPen
LizzyNY
lelacorb
it's me
Boshkash
Sevens
Mazy
Alisonfan
Joanna
party animal - not!
Nicky80
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology Empty Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

Post by Nicky80 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 09:09

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

There is one constant when a person or company is caught doing something wrong. The coverup is always worse.

In this case, the Daily Mail has printed an apology for insinuating religious tensions where there are none. In the apology, managing editor Charles Garside claims that the article was "not a fabrication," but "based the story on conversations with senior members of the Lebanese community."

The problem is that none of that is true. The original story never cites that source, but instead goes out of its way to insist on four different occasions that "a family friend" spoke directly to the Mail. A " family friend" was the source. So either they were lying originally or they're lying now.

Furthermore, they knew ahead of time that they were lying. In an article dated April 28, 2014, reporter Richard Spillett writes in the Mail that "Ramzi, (Amal's father), married outside the Druze faith," and a family friend said that "Baria, (Amal's mom), is not Druze." The Mail knew the story in question was false and printed it anyway.

What separates this from all of the ridiculous things the Mail makes up is that now, by their own admission, it can be proved to be a lie. In fact, a premeditated lie.

So I thank the Mail for its apology. Not that I would ever accept it, but because in doing so they've exposed themselves as the worst kind of tabloid.

One that makes up its facts to the detriment of its readers and to all the publications that blindly reprint them.

— George Clooney

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology Empty Re: Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 09:32

Very impressive. 

Another warning for them.

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology Empty Re: Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 09:34

Another good article from Rou Greenslade at the Guardian........and he alludes to their Angelina Jolie story as well

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 09:35

George Clooney rejects Daily Mail apology, calling it 'worst kind of tabloid'

Gravity actor accuses paper of a 'cover-up' and telling a 'premeditated lie' after it published a false story about his fiancee

George Clooney has rejected the Daily Mail's apology for a false story about his fiancee's mother, describing the paper as "the worst kind of tabloid".

Two days ago, the actor said the newspaper had published a false and irresponsible story about his fiancee, Amal Alamuddin.

It claimed that her mother, Baria, had told "half of Beirut" that she opposed the forthcoming wedding on religious grounds because she is a member of Lebanon's Druze community.

After Clooney denounced the Mail for fabricating a story that was inaccurate, the newspaper issued an apology on behalf of its digital division, Mail Online, and removed the article from its website.
On Friday, Clooney rejected the paper's apology, accusing it of a "cover-up" and of telling a "premeditated lie", in a statement released to the newspaper USA Today.

"In the apology, managing editor Charles Garside claims that the article was 'not a fabrication', but 'based the story on conversations with senior members of the Lebanese community,'" he wrote.

"The problem is that none of that is true. The original story never cites that source, but instead goes out of its way to insist on four different occasions that 'a family friend' spoke directly to the Mail. A 'family friend' was the source. So either they were lying originally or they're lying now.

"Furthermore, they knew ahead of time that they were lying. In an article dated April 28 2014, reporter Richard Spillett wrote in the Mail that 'Ramzi, (Amal's father), married outside the Druze faith,' and a family friend said that 'Baria, (Amal's mom), is not Druze'. The Mail knew the story in question was false and printed it anyway.

"What separates this from all of the ridiculous things the Mail makes up is that now, by their own admission, it can be proved to be a lie. In fact, a premeditated lie.

"So I thank the Mail for its apology. Not that I would ever accept it, but because in doing so they've exposed themselves as the worst kind of tabloid. One that makes up its facts to the detriment of its readers and to all the publications that blindly reprint them."

Another actor, Angelina Jolie, has also taken on the Daily Mail. According to the Times, she has launched legal action against the newspaper for publishing a video online, which it claims shows her while she was addicted to heroin during the 1990s.

It is alleged that the video was taken by the Mail from the National Enquirer, a US supermarket checkout weekly that publishes celebritygossip.

The 16-minute video was said to have featured a conversation between Jolie and her father, the actor Jon Voight, when she was in her early 20s. In it, the Mail suggests that Jolie is speaking about her brother, James, and her late mother, Marcheline Bertrand.

The actor is believed to regard the publication of the video as a gross violation of her privacy.
It is said to have been recorded by Franklin Meyer, 69, who is described by the New York Daily News as a former drug dealer who has "spent the past half-decade peddling gossip about dealing cocaine and heroin to Jolie in the late 90s".

Last edited by Nicky80 on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:04; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Added correct link and text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 09:42

party animal - not! wrote:Very impressive. 

Another warning for them.

Yep, I like the fact that he stated what was the lie and when they lied.....straight to the point
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:32

Well Done George. No blame attached to him or any of his people.
I do love his Terrier Won't Give Up attitude.

Coolio Sofa bounce Coolio 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:02

Nicky80 wrote:Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

There is one constant when a person or company is caught doing something wrong. The coverup is always worse.

In this case, the Daily Mail has printed an apology for insinuating religious tensions where there are none. In the apology, managing editor Charles Garside claims that the article was "not a fabrication," but "based the story on conversations with senior members of the Lebanese community."

The problem is that none of that is true. The original story never cites that source, but instead goes out of its way to insist on four different occasions that "a family friend" spoke directly to the Mail. A " family friend" was the source. So either they were lying originally or they're lying now.

Furthermore, they knew ahead of time that they were lying. In an article dated April 28, 2014, reporter Richard Spillett writes in the Mail that "Ramzi, (Amal's father), married outside the Druze faith," and a family friend said that "Baria, (Amal's mom), is not Druze." The Mail knew the story in question was false and printed it anyway.

What separates this from all of the ridiculous things the Mail makes up is that now, by their own admission, it can be proved to be a lie. In fact, a premeditated lie.

So I thank the Mail for its apology. Not that I would ever accept it, but because in doing so they've exposed themselves as the worst kind of tabloid.

One that makes up its facts to the detriment of its readers and to all the publications that blindly reprint them.

— George Clooney

Says a Movie Star (public figure), who refused to "officially announce" his engagement to the detriment of his fans. Blindly causing hurt, knowing the anticipation and excitement this would bring to many of his fan's lives.  
So I thank George for taking on the Mail, to some our only source for a long time of ANY kind of confirmation from him, because in doing so he has confirmed himself as the MOST selfish kind of Movie Star.  jmo

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:06

Go Angelina, thats the way to really do it. Well done!

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:24

It is a shame that celebs like George have to deal with this kind of garbage and defend themselves from the tab's fiction. Most know that they are lying or embellishing their fairy-tales but buy them any way. If people don't buy their junk maybe we would see some real reporting.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:44

Alisonfan wrote:
Nicky80 wrote:Exclusive: George Clooney rejects 'Mail' apology

— George Clooney

Says a Movie Star (public figure), who refused to "officially announce" his engagement to the detriment of his fans. Blindly causing hurt, knowing the anticipation and excitement this would bring to many of his fan's lives.  
So I thank George for taking on the Mail, to some our only source for a long time of ANY kind of confirmation from him, because in doing so he has confirmed himself as the MOST selfish kind of Movie Star.  jmo
Funny enough, he didn't do this just for his sake, instead he slamed DM bacause its false story has threatened his fiancee's life! And the violence based on religious reasons could be used to lead more dangerous sequences if that kind of crap being picked up by countless news outlets around the world!
George is defending his family as well as journalism! How could you call him "selfish" in this case! He did confirm his engagement shortly after the rumour first emerged…maybe not in a statement way, but I believe he approved the media which could approach him of using the word "confirmed" in their title, and his parents did confirm the happy news. What's wrong with that?We got some official information and George stayed low-profile as well. If he keeps saying everything about his private life then his rare responses to some BS here would seem shaky. But he is not. He only voices when it's necessary.

Last edited by Sevens on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:54; edited 1 time in total
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:53

Alisonfan, I don't think his fans have any ownership over his life or what he does with it, he, as u said is a MOVIE STAR, so his job is to make good movies, entertaining movies, quality movies, anything else he says or does is his own problem and his own choice, you can agree or disagree with him, but you can't accuse an actor of being selfish because he didn't choose to announce his engagement, because his engagement is not afficting his job, and not of the public concern in the first place. JMHO.

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:19

The Beeb website

George Clooney rejects Mail Online apology

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Clooney first voiced his dissatisfaction with the Mail's reporting on Wednesday

George Clooney has refused to accept an apology from the Daily Mail's website over a story claiming his fiancee's mother objected to their marriage.

"The Mail knew the story... was false and printed it anyway," he wrote in a statement published by USA Today.
The paper, he continued, was "the worst kind of tabloid. One that makes up its facts to the detriment of its readers."
The Mail Online apologised "for any distress caused" by its story while denying it had been fabricated.
Clooney thanked the Daily Mail for its apology before adding: "Not that I would ever accept it."
"What separates this from all of the ridiculous things the Mail makes up is that now, by their own admission, it can be proved to be a lie."
Clooney first voiced his dissatisfaction with the Mail on Wednesday, accusing it of "irresponsibility" and "inciting violence" by claiming Baria Alamuddin objected to him marrying her daughter Amal on religious grounds.
The Mail's report - published online on Monday and then in print on Tuesday, in an amended form - said "close family friends" had told them that Baria Alamuddin had been "telling half of Beirut" her daughter "could do better".
In its apology, the Mail Online said the story had been "supplied in good faith by a reputable and trusted freelance journalist" who had "based her story on conversations with a long-standing contact".
Clooney took issue with this in his latest statement. "The problem is that none of that is true," he wrote. "So either they were lying originally or they're lying now.
"There is one constant when a person or company is caught doing something wrong," his statement began. "The cover-up is always worse."

'Violation of privacy'

The ongoing dispute between Clooney and the Mail coincides with reports of another Hollywood A-lister taking action against the paper's online division.
According to The Times, Angelina Jolie has begun legal action against the newspaper for publishing a video obtained from the US National Enquirer tabloid.
The accompanying story alleges the video, apparently filmed in the 1990s, alleges to show the Oscar-winning actress "in [the] grip of heroin addiction".
"The actress is believed to regard the publication of the video as a gross violation of her privacy," said the Times.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 15:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text and pic)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 11 Jul 2014, 13:07

angry pic
at the link
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Fri 11 Jul 2014, 13:13

George, when he was still a boy, to the question: what do you want to be? He replied, without a doubt, I want to become famous! Attention, he did not answer I want to be an actor or director or the President of America, he said, only I want to become famous and this means that your life is made public. I am not defending the gossip magazines who invent lies more or less serious but I'm just saying that even George makes a lot of mistakes managing his image. A person is not always credible when he says that you do not and will never remarry more children (I think the last time was a few months ago and already existed Amal) and then seems to be to get married. Do not tell me that he changed his mind because he has found the woman of his life! If you do not think you are suitable for the wedding or do not believe in marriage there is no woman that makes you change your mind, however, and nothing you deny a woman to love and to live your whole life with her, to live a great love forever and not marry her ever, a person is not credible when he says that he does not ever deny being gay as not to offend the gay community and recently had released an interview saying that his worst nightmare was to receive a pass from a man. Do you remember the video he did for Matt Damon to wish that he had won a prize when he was in Hawaii filming "Descendant"? That video is not a joke gay? Dear George the gossip magazines have many faults but you also have your own, you have strenuously pursued fame, fame brings lots of eyes on you and that's why sometimes you have to explain your choices and be clear because, otherwise trigger mechanisms strange when people ask: what is behind? The mistrero leads to finding solutions and these are sometimes dangerous. For example, I wonder why George Clooney but with this woman who seems to be the woman of his life, when they are together not ever shows a sign of affection, a tender gesture, a caress, yet hugs and kisses always friends, fans and all acquaintances. Cold and aloof alone with the woman you love?
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 11 Jul 2014, 13:27

I dunno 

all seems strange
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 11 Jul 2014, 13:43

Allisonfan - Really?!! Grow up! If George is "the most selfish kind of movie star", you are an example of the most selfish kind of fan. George has no responsibility to you or anyone else where his private life is concerned.

Do we all want to see more and know more? Of course we do No matter that in the past George may have mishandled publicity in pursuit of fame. We all make mistakes. In his professional life George is one of the most accessible stars out there, always gracious and accommodating to his fans, so maybe we're a little spoiled. But we're NOT his friends and we're NOT his family. We are NOT part of his personal life and have no right to expect him to treat us as if we we were.

As much as I, too, would like to know "everything" about George and his life because I'm just as curious as the next guy, I know that his personal life is really none of my business. Everyone, even a movie star, needs and deserves some privacy in their lives.

PS - I'm really glad he refused to accept the DM's apolgogy. It has kept the story going with the focus on WHY he called them out. Citing specific errors in the article proves their shoddy journalistic practices and has opened a pretty widespread discussion. Bravo, George!

Last edited by LizzyNY on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 13:53; edited 1 time in total
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 13:52

Good words and correct attitude Lizzy.  Thumbs up! 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 14:00

Sorry, Alisonfan, agree with all the others.

Our Hero is not Royalty, and has no obligation to tell all of us everything about himself, personal or otherwise.

The engagement was private between the two of them, and they were clearly happy and thought it appropriate for Doughty Street Chambers to issue their statement. The right way to go in my opinion. Any such announcements and decisions have to be made between both of them.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 11 Jul 2014, 14:06

Thanks, Jo. Didn't mean to rant, but- sheeesh!- she really hit a nerve. Sacrificing someone's privacy because someone else is curious is one of my pet peeves.
And (no excuse) I think I'm still feeling wobbly from that video!  What a Face 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 14:19

Lizzy wrote...."George is one of the most accessible stars out there, always gracious and accommodating to his fans, so maybe we're a little spoiled.

But we're NOT his friends and we're NOT his family.
We are NOT part of his personal life and have no right to expect him to treat us as if we we were."

I do agree with him being very accessible to his fans, obviously it works in his favour, but I think it's part of his nature and his understanding of the "fan syndrome."

I remember an interview, around ER time I think, when he commented about that, saying he and others were in our living rooms week after week, so of course a "bond" is formed by the fan towards the actor.
That can then lead to a fan feeling possessive of the actor together with a feeling that they know him personally and that the actor owes the fan something back in return. George understands all that.
That may sound a bit garbled.....sorry if it does.

I remember it happening years ago in the 60's here to Dirk Bogarde, when women used to turn up at his house, uninvited, and expect some return
to their love of him.
He was mobbed so much the studio insisted his flies were sewn up
at public appearances !!

Last edited by Joanna on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 14:25; edited 1 time in total
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 14:22

LizzyNY wrote:Thanks, Jo. Didn't mean to rant, but- sheeesh!- she really hit a nerve. Sacrificing someone's privacy because someone else is curious is one of my pet peeves.

Mine too Lizzy....

And (no excuse) I think I'm still feeling wobbly from that video!   What a Face 

LOL.... I think you need a nice lie down in a dark room.....
with a lovely George film playing in the background.  flower 
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 11 Jul 2014, 14:45

Joanna  - Not garbled. I think this has been going on at least since the invention of the moving image, and maybe even before. People become so invested in an actor or public figure that they think they know them personally. I remember listening to the neighborhood moms arguing about people whose names I didn't recognize. Turned out they were characters on a tv soap opera!

This obsession would be funny if it wasn't so intrusive on the celebrities' lives. It's too easy to sit in the safety of our own homes and enjoy the benefits of this invasion of someone else's privacy. I am, to my shame, as guilty as the next guy of reading the stories and looking at the pictures - and giving my opinion - but mostly I do it here, where I'm pretty sure it won't affect George's life in any way.

I don't know the answer to the publicity/privacy issue, but I do think we need to recognize that public figures are entitled to private lives just like the rest of us.

PS - Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the perfect medicine . flower 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 15:56

From Lainey July 11, 2014

Dear Gossips,
After George Clooney put The Daily Mail on blast the other day for their piss poor reporting, the publication issued an apology. Sort of:
"The Mail Online story was not a fabrication but supplied in good faith by a reputable and trusted freelance journalist. She based her story on conversations with a long-standing contact who has strong connections with senior members of the Lebanese community in the UK and the Druze in Beirut. We only became aware of Mr Clooney's concerns this morning and have launched a full investigation. However, we accept Mr Clooney's assurance that the story is inaccurate and we apologise to him, Miss Amal Alamuddin and her mother, Baria, for any distress caused. We have removed the article from our website and will be contacting Mr Clooney's representatives to discuss giving him the opportunity to set the record straight."
So, basically, what they’re saying is that they followed proper journalistic procedure. Then they go on to insult him by “accepting his assurance” and offering in “the opportunity to set the record straight”.
I don’t call that an apology. I call it picking a fight. They’re talking down to him. Which is why he couldn’t help himself. He had to respond, again. For the second time this week, Clooney released an exclusive statement to USA today, sh-tting on them for being liars. Click here to read it.
Should he have engaged them a second time? The first time, I’m all over it. They were playing with some dangerous sh-t, f-cking around with very sensitive issues. So he threw down and, for the most part, he looked good. This time, this time I feel like he’s giving them more time than they deserve. You?
Have a great weekend!
Yours in gossip,
Lainey

Last edited by Nicky80 on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 16:16

I think he had to have the final word.
He and his family members are the injured partie's
in all this.
So yes, he was right in his second statement.

Btw.....here in UK, before, during and after the Levenson enquiry into the journalist's phone hacking scandal, some of the victims have had their say over
and over and over again.
It's a normal reaction when one is angry with
the press.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by lionheart Fri 11 Jul 2014, 16:17

When will this end ????? Believe me, Daily Mail must be happy right now.

lionheart
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 17:53

Article in the Guardian entitled 'Can the man get any cooler?'

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:06

nice one George and good luck to Angelina too.

the daily mail sucks
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:06

who is the author of the article?

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:07

party animal - not! wrote:Article in the Guardian entitled 'Can the man get any cooler?'

George Clooney and the Daily Mail: can the man get
any cooler ?

After rejecting the apology of the paper he called 'the worst kind of tabloid', Clooney should be applauded for standing up for journalistic standards, rather than celebrity moaning

It seems only a few months ago that I was here celebrating George Clooney, his engagement to the human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin and the positive effect that this would have on his public image. (Guess what? It was.) And already there is cause to sing his praises again, as he rejects grudging attempts by the Daily Mail to placate him over a false story which it published about his impending marriage. The UK tabloid had reported that Alamuddin’s mother, Baria, had made it public knowledge in Beirut that she was against the wedding on religious grounds. Mentions were made of religious traditions ending in the death of the bride. As mother-in-law jokes go, it was among the worst.

Clooney issued a statement damning unequivocally the paper’s story and accusing it of incitement to religious violence: “We have family members all over the world, and the idea that someone would inflame any part of that world for the sole reason of selling papers should be criminal.” As if that were not robust enough, he has now refused to accept the apology that the Mail issued in the wake of his original statement. His response cites evidence that the apology itself, as well as the story that necessitated it, is a tissue of lies. “I thank the Mail for its apology,” he says, his magnanimity strangely amplified by what follows: “Not that I would ever accept it, but because in doing so they’ve exposed themselves as the worst kind of tabloid. One that makes up its facts to the detriment of its readers and to all the publications that blindly reprint them.”

I want to cheer at that. Many before him have accepted the fabrications of the tabloids as part and parcel of the tacit contract between celebrities and the media. Clooney, though, is willing to risk the animosity he will now engender from this famously grudge-bearing organ. Think of the 16-page splash that will result if he dares to expose so much as a dangling nasal hair, let alone a cellulite-stippled thigh, in the proximity of a paparazzo’s long lens.

As well as his general willingness to stand his ground, there is also the no-nonsense tone of both statements, especially the new one. Several questions arise from it. Can the man get any cooler? Could he parlay some of that coolness into his choice of film projects? And would he be willing to offer short courses to fellow celebrities in how to slap down one’s tabloid tormentors without inadvertently cultivating an air of “poor ickle me” or allowing some of the dirt to splash back onto one’s own shoes and trousers? Steve Coogan and Hugh Grant would surely clear some space in their diaries to pop along to the local Marriott Business Hotel for an afternoon’s PowerPoint presentation on the subject.

Furthermore, could he hire out his services as a letter-writer so that we might all for a modest fee take advantage of his directness and articulacy? (I bought a tower of plastic beakers from a leading supermarket last weekend. Each beaker had a minuscule hole in the base. Imagine the sort of redress Clooney could whip up with one of his sternly worded dispatches!)

Clooney has had to overcome so many disadvantages in his life – extravagant talent, wealth, intelligence and good looks – but those are not the reasons to be cheerful about his existence today. Seeing old orders and hierarchies challenged, even jeopardised, is a heartening thing. Clooney is using his own power and clout to redefine the damaged dynamic that has existed since the days of gossip-columnist hatchet-jobs in old Hollywood.

Unlike other celebrities who have complained about the tabloids, it is not the attention itself Clooney resents but its fraudulent basis. His objections revolve less around a defence of A-listers than regret over the decline in journalistic standards. (As he points out, his own father was a TV journalist.) No one wants stars to be beyond criticism. It would be useful, though, if any brickbats lobbed at them weren’t made of sponge – if accusations aimed in their direction could be shown to be not merely in the public interest but factually true to boot.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:10

PigPen wrote:who is the author of the article?

The author is mentioned at the link.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:12

who at the guardian wrote the article. I do not see a specific name.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:17

PigPen.....it's on the link....at the right of the Blog !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:22

I'm obviously blind, I do not see a name.  just film/2014/july11.  Thank you for the help and sarcasm.l  Duly appreciated.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:25

Pigpen. Here

The man is not exactly a junior reporter...reports for the Guardian, Times, News Statesman, written a book about 1970s cinema. Respected

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:27

Thank you PAN. I wasn't questioning the integrity of the author.  Just wanted to know who wrote it.  Simple question to which you provided a simple answer.  Thank you.  Have a lovely week-end.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:34

Does anybody find it ironic that he is upset about this when his future wife represents Juliane Assange?
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:40

Nope. This isn't about one man. It has wider implications around the world not least because this is the most widely read online newspaper in the world so has some responsibility for its content and therefore should check its sources more thoroughly. Ironically in the States as elsewhere, the Mailonline commands some respect in comparison with say, the National Enquirer...

Shows how low the bar is

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:46

Well I do. Assange is responsible for a great number of secrets that have unfolded that lead to greater tension in nations. I think he seems to be lead blindly right now by the future Mrs. Of course, that is the way it is usually when 2 people are in love. The brain works 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from birth until you fall in love. Lol
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:50

ktsue, I fear you have just opened a can of worms.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:51

lionheart wrote:When will this end ????? Believe me, Daily Mail must be happy right now.

Yep agree, he respond twice to the DM of course it is a good thing for him but even though the DM looks bad at the moment they so do not care. It is all press for them and attention for them and maybe they will be nicer to George for a moment but then they do the same thing again. That's what the DM stands for anyway.....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:52

All I said was that it is ironic. Nothing wrong with him addressing this.
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:54

ktsue2002 wrote:Well I do. Assange is responsible for a great number of secrets that have unfolded that lead to greater tension in nations. I think he seems to be lead blindly right now by the future Mrs. Of course, that is the way it is usually when 2 people are in love. The brain works 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from birth until you fall in love. Lol
I meant this one!!

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:56

PigPen wrote:I'm obviously blind, I do not see a name.  just film/2014/july11.  Thank you for the help and sarcasm.l  Duly appreciated.

It's to the right of the George photo....in a little square....I wasn't being sarcastic !
I actually tried twice to copy it for you with no success.

I'm no good at remembering names.....by the time I check on the link,
and come back here to write it, it's gone !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Fri 11 Jul 2014, 18:57

I know my brain tends to fall in that same trap when I fall in love, and I do follow blindly when it involves my love interest.
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 19:04

Joanna wrote:
PigPen wrote:I'm obviously blind, I do not see a name.  just film/2014/july11.  Thank you for the help and sarcasm.l  Duly appreciated.

It's to the right of the George photo....in a little square....I wasn't being sarcastic !
I actually tried twice to copy it for you with no success.

I'm no good at remembering names.....by the time I check on the link,
and come back here to write it, it's gone !
Thank you.  We're good .

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan Fri 11 Jul 2014, 19:05

LizzyNY wrote:Allisonfan - Really?!! Grow up! If George is "the most selfish kind of movie star", you are an example of the most selfish kind of fan. George has no responsibility to you or anyone else where his private life is concerned.

Do we all want to see more and know more? Of course we do No matter that in the past George may have mishandled publicity in pursuit of fame. We all make mistakes. In his professional life George is one of the most accessible stars out there, always gracious and accommodating to his fans, so maybe we're a little spoiled. But we're NOT his friends and we're NOT his family. We are NOT part of his personal life and have no right to expect him to treat us as if we we were.

As much as I, too, would like to know "everything" about George and his life because I'm just as curious as the next guy, I know that his personal life is really none of my business. Everyone, even a movie star, needs and deserves some privacy in their lives.

PS - I'm really glad he refused to accept the DM's apolgogy. It has kept the story going with the focus on WHY he called them out. Citing specific errors in the article proves their shoddy journalistic practices and has opened a pretty widespread discussion. Bravo, George!

Lizzy, you are one of the nicest ppl on this forum, believe me I hate to upset you.  BUT the double standards used by George are repellant.

You really don't have to go far back to read post "imploring" George to make a statement about the engagement; was it true OR not true.  He did make a statement about Steve Wynn that week.  BUT did not address HIS fans questions.
On another forum they wrote to para phase; this was a "life mile stone to be celebrated with all the ppl he cared about".  He just did not care or bother enough about US.  So why should he, well Lala put it well and I will add, he cares enormously about US when he need bums on seats!  So maybe there we have our answer.  When I got engaged (pre mobile phones and computers) I wrote letters to classmates spread far and wide, I visited with relations not seen in years, I left notes for ppl who just MIGHT be a little interested, you see an "engagement" is a life mile stone as said,  and not a horrible one, not bad news, not illness, not a death, or violence, or any of the awful things that fill our days, but something to CELEBRATE with all who wish to celebrate with us, come one, come all, it's open house, "I HAVE FOUND LOVE, AND ALL IN THE WORLD FOR THIS MOMENT IS GOOD AND WONDERFUL AND ALL WHO CARE FOR ME OR LOVE ME, PLEASE COME AND CELEBRATE THIS MOMENT WITH US, MY LOVE AND I"    Over the top, I know, but a simple "It is with great pleasure I announce blah blah" would have done.

However, in this instance we were not even afforded the curtesy of the bums on the seats, so who are we?

I had hoped George respected us, now I'm not so sure.

He has taken on the Daily Mail, good for him!  but not in regard to the lies peddled to us the fans, he simply could not have cared less what we thought or read.  He took them on because of some perceived threat of violence again family around the world, all very tenuous.  However, I do think the light shining AA work, and her client list is not very attractive, but that nettle was not grasped either ? for whatever reason.

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 11 Jul 2014, 19:31

Alisonfan - Don't worry. You're not upsetting me. We just see things differently. George is fully accessible in his professional life -partly because it's his nature, very often because he is contractually required to get out and sell the product. It's part of his job. All the red  carpet photos, press conferences, interviews, tv shows, etc. that he does when he has a film coming out are required of him and the other stars attached to the project. He does all this with a smile on his face and a gracious attitude to press and fans alike, even though the process can be grueling and exhausting.

I would guess that about 75-80% of the photos we see of his private life are unauthorized pap shots. Most of the time he accepts this intrusion as the price of fame and tries to ignore it. We get more than a fair glimpse into his personal life.

The fact is, though, that no matter how connected we feel to him, he is onlyprofessionally connected to us. I'm sure he notified all the people he feels personally connected to when he got engaged. Sadly we are not part of that group. All he owes us is movies that are worth the price of admission.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 11 Jul 2014, 19:40

All he owes us is movies that are worth the price of admission.  

Does that include Batman and Robin??   He's going to go broke reimbursing people for that one!  Two hrs of my life--- gone   tongue  Oi, you!

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 11 Jul 2014, 19:52

Pigpen -The movie sucked - he didn't. Joel Shumacher is the one who owes you a refund. He's the one who really fucked it up.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 12 Jul 2014, 00:44

I never love George more than when he's bitching someone out, but "the coverup is always worse"?  Take it down a notch, buddy, it's not Watergate.

At the same time, though, they kinda brought it on themselves with that half-assed apology.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next