George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

SUMMER REWATCH: Out of Sight Discussion

+6
Missa
LizzyNY
Nicky80
Way2Old4Dis
amaretti
LornaDoone
10 posters

Go down

SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion Empty SUMMER REWATCH: Out of Sight Discussion

Post by LornaDoone Sun 22 Jun 2014, 16:08

It's Monday in Oz let's get this party started.

So I'm watching this film and some details I never noticed before are starting to pop out.

1.  Nicorette gum - Jennifer Lopez's character is trying to open a package of the gum right before the prison break.  Was that a product placement deal?  Was it something in the plot that I had missed before? Was Jennifer trying to quit smoking during the filming and they decided to write her gum chewing into the script?  But then later, I don't see her chewing gum so did she quit smoking?

2.  George's hair cut and style.  Yes, it was some years back but the style looks like those higher cut styles that men used to wear - but it reminded me of hair worn in the 50s not so much the 90s.

3.  The suit he wears during the opening credits.  Was the lining inside red?  It looked that way today and I never noticed that before.

4.  Why were two of his fingers bandaged?  Was that part of the plot or did he happen to bang up his hands during filming and they left his bandaged fingers in?

5.  I'm really enjoying the writing and George's acting - he does "slightly stupid" well.   For instance when he's in the trunk with Jennifer and she mentions Clyde Barrow.  George waits a long beat with a look on his face like he's trying to process something and then says, "Bonnie and Clyde" like he's had an epiphany and it cracked me up!  And Jennifer's look was totally a look as if to say "Wow, how stupid are you?"

So that's as far as I've gotten but I do remember Viola Davis is in this film and was barely used yet years later she's nominated for Academy Awards and accepting Golden Globes and Screen Actor's Guild awards.  And one aside -- she will be starring in a new television show on ABC this fall on Thursday nights in another Shonda Rhimes production.  It's called How to Get Away with Murder.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but wanted to get these down before my senile mind kicks in and I forget them!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion Empty Re: SUMMER REWATCH: Out of Sight Discussion

Post by amaretti Sun 22 Jun 2014, 17:31

Hmmmm enjoyed reading your questions . I read the trunk scene as he was taken with her but I agree he does play the slightly daffy guy well .

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

SUMMER REWATCH:  Out of Sight Discussion Empty Re: SUMMER REWATCH: Out of Sight Discussion

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 22 Jun 2014, 18:05

This will be fun to watch again. So many top actors and well-known personalities in small roles. Viola Davis, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Katherine Keener. Bittersweet to watch Dennis Farina...

Can't you picture George and Jennifer texting each other... "Hey. Guess what? It's on again. It's at the bathtub scene. Know what? I didn't really need to do that many takes."

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 22 Jun 2014, 19:02

Way2Old4Dis wrote:This will be fun to watch again. So many top actors and well-known personalities in small roles. Viola Davis, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Katherine Keener. Bittersweet to watch Dennis Farina...

Can't you picture George and Jennifer texting each other... "Hey. Guess what? It's on again. It's at the bathtub scene. Know what? I didn't really need to do that many takes."

Oh I don't know, I could do that scene over and over and over. Just keep the tub water warm and I'm IN!

I was fascinated by the snow outside of the window in her hotel. Both in the bar and her room. How did they do that? The background city lights were bright and yet the snow was illuminated also. Very lovely shots in those scenes.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 19:39

Funny Lorna. i watched the movie this afternoon and your questions 1,3 and 4 I didn't notice ...I guess I have to watch it again????? hehe

The snow outside the window looked great but so fake as each snow flake looked the same size......

I love the bath tube scene  Very Happy  and at the end when they jump into bed and undress before. The faces look too funny  Laughing
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 19:42

You know they should have done Part 2 with this movie  Very Happy ...they made the ending open for a new movie don't you think?  So sad it is not going to happen...
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 22 Jun 2014, 20:40

Oh I don't know, I could do that scene over and over and over. Just keep the tub water warm and I'm IN!

Yeah, that's what I meant. They'd be teasing each other about doing unnecessary takes just to keep doing that sexy scene.

I would have flubbed my lines a time or two. Or grabbed something that wasn't called for in the script.

Me: Okay, then I'm supposed to grab your wrist like this...

George: That's not my wrist. But thank you.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 22 Jun 2014, 20:47

HA!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sun 22 Jun 2014, 21:07

Michael Keaton was so funny as her boyfriend .

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 22 Jun 2014, 23:07

I think having the "two" Batmen in the film was funny too.

There are some very witty lines in this film.

When Michael Keaton comes to visit Jennifer at her dad's house.  He's wearing a t-shirt that says FBI.  Dennis Farina asks:  

"Hey Ray, you ever wear one that says 'undercover'"?

And then some other lines like when Don Cheadle is in the car with "Studs" discussing how he's no longer called Snoopy and how he's branched out into things other than boxing.  

Maurice "Snoopy" Miller: I've, uh, vertically integrated myself. You know, diversified and shit, and now I'm into the occasional grand larceny, home invasion... shit like that.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 23 Jun 2014, 12:20

Haven't had a chance to rewatch this yet, but I don't have to to know the scene in her hotel room is one of the sexiest love scenes in movie history! The way it was cut and edited was brilliant, beautiful and hot at the same time. It impressed me even more when I read that George and JLo didn't particularly like each other. If that was true, that was really some great acting! (The car trunk scene and the tub are great, too.)

There was so much about this movie that I liked, I can't wait to see it again - maybe tonight.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Mon 23 Jun 2014, 16:08

The tub scene . Ma ma Mia . George in that deco tub.

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 23 Jun 2014, 19:39

Ok amaretti - I'm picturing you fanning yourself.

Hot stuff indeed! :-)

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Mon 23 Jun 2014, 21:51

When the movie was first released, George, Jennifer, and Steve Zahn all appeared together on Rosie O'Donnell's talk show.  Jennifer told the story of how she wasn't actually supposed to get into the tub with him, it sort of just happened.  Which really displeased the wardrobe person, since Jen was wearing an expensive Armani suit at the time.  Who can blame her for getting carried away, really? Smile
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 23 Jun 2014, 22:06

Well she COULD have taken the suit off but really why waste time!  HA!

This film was so interesting to me because of Soderberg's cuts.  And I liked the use of the Detroit based music.  

This film was based on a book, correct?  So was the book set in Detroit?  I never did check on that.

And even though there was violence in this film it was not overtly so.  I mean we see the aftermath of the one "murder" where they used an ax (Don Cheadle is in the foreground spraypainting the wall - but of course it was glass as we're looking at the scene as if from the wall) and you can see the guy in the background hacking away, but you don't actually "see" the gore - just the red paint as a representation of it.  Later when Jennifer and the police officer are on the scene there are long shots of the dead bodies, but no closeups to gore.  (Which frankly, I appreciated).

Then there is the scene where the guy shoots himself as he's running up the steps  in the mansion, towards George.  In one respect it's shocking but then also in another funny.   (I think George's expression right after the guy shoots himself is what makes it funny).

Another question I have - is there any significance to George flipping a cigarette ligher open and shut in some of the scenes?  As I said in my first post, Jennifer was shown trying to eat some Nicorette gum in one early scene and George carries a lighter, but you never see either of them smoking. Just wondered if there is more nuance to that than we know.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Mon 23 Jun 2014, 22:08

I believe Soderbergh noticed George doing that trick with the lighter the first time they met, and worked it into the script.  That's the story I remember hearing, anyway.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 23 Jun 2014, 22:31

He used the lighter trick in other movies, too. Might be a nervous habit or a way to focus.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 23 Jun 2014, 22:31

G character had to smoke

but he didn't want to

so...
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 23 Jun 2014, 22:42

It's been a long time since I read the book, but I remember the movie being fairly true to it (except the ending was, um, bloodier). Jack Foley (George) had been a smoker, but wasn't any more. I don't remember it being a point with Karen Sisco (JLo). I'll have to go back and check. But in a later book with the Foley character, he spends a lot of time sitting around drinking and smoking with the other "bad" guy.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 24 Jun 2014, 04:47

Thanks for all the responses.  It's been interesting going back and looking at these films in hindsight!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Duffy Tue 24 Jun 2014, 14:31

Sorry, no analysis from me on this film...too busy wiping up the drool. Just one word for George in it: YUMMY!!!  Laughing

Duffy
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 24 Jun 2014, 17:43

This film reminded me of how many actors choose to work with him over and over again. Aside from Brad and Matt, there's Don Cheadle, Bill Murray, John Goodman Mark Wahlberg, director Soderbergh and lots of others. He must be doing something right!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 24 Jun 2014, 22:22

I have no analysis either, need to compose myself and I watched it 12 hours ago!! That bedroom scene, oh my George!!

Will get back to you with a more professional critique when able to focus
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 26 Jun 2014, 03:32

Just finished rewatching - I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! I had forgotten so much - like how scary Don Cheadle's character was and how funny Steve Zahn was. Every character was real and believable. The casting of the film was brilliant. Everyone was at the top of their game. I don't understand why it wasn't a massive hit.

Am I the only one who thought the background music sounded a lot like the music from the "Oceans" films?

PS The scene in the trunk took two days and 44 takes. They did 35 takes the first day. When he told them they'd have to shoot again Soderbergh wasn't sure George and Jlo would come back - but of course they did.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 26 Jun 2014, 04:46

LizzyNY wrote:Just finished rewatching - I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! I had forgotten so much - like how scary Don Cheadle's character was and how funny Steve Zahn was. Every character was real and believable. The casting of the film was brilliant. Everyone was at the top of their game. I don't understand why it wasn't a massive hit.

Am I the only one who thought the background music sounded a lot like the music from the "Oceans" films?

PS The scene in the trunk took two days and 44 takes. They did 35 takes the first day. When he told them they'd have to shoot again Soderbergh wasn't sure George and Jlo would  come back - but of course they did.

Hey I'd spend two days in a trunk with George!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 07:15

LOL!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Thu 26 Jun 2014, 08:11

Good I will take the bath tub . He he heree Very Happy 

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 26 Jun 2014, 09:56

Ahem....did anyone actually notice this.??  lol! 

"In the hotel room, when Jack and Karen are together, the bed sheets go from green to white to green again."
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 26 Jun 2014, 14:30

Joanna - With all that eye candy burning up the screen, you noticed the SHEETS?!!!!  LOL! 

(To be fair, I did notice that when she woke up in the morning the sheets were green. It bothered me, but I didn't know why. Now I do. I guess when George was on screen I wasn't focused on the sheeets!)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 26 Jun 2014, 14:53

LizzyNY wrote: Joanna -  With all that eye candy burning up the screen, you noticed the SHEETS?!!!!   LOL! 

(To be fair, I did notice that when she woke up in the morning the sheets were green. It bothered me, but I didn't know why. Now I do. I guess when George was on screen I wasn't focused on the sheeets!)

Oh no.... I didn't notice either.....I found it in the trivia list
for the film !!

It was the most interesting item, amongst many. Hoorah!

Last edited by Joanna on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 14:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tidiness !)
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 26 Jun 2014, 15:34

Joanna - Glad to know you've got your priorities straight! You had me worried there for a minute.  Laughing
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down