Log in

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Surbicon wrap party Friday night....4.12.16
Today at 15:55 by it's me

» The Serious Side
Today at 13:15 by LizzyNY

» December 2016 Chit Chat
Today at 00:19 by LizzyNY

» George to visit Yerevan April 2017 for Aurora Prize 2.12.16
Yesterday at 03:12 by melbert

» Clooney's baby?
Fri Dec 02 2016, 16:51 by amaretti

» November 2016 Chit Chat
Wed Nov 30 2016, 15:49 by ladybugcngc

» Amal in Texas this afternoon 15.11.16
Tue Nov 29 2016, 21:35 by carolhathaway

» George and the stylist from Esquire UK article January 2014
Tue Nov 29 2016, 17:42 by Joanna

» Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Sun Nov 27 2016, 03:58 by ladybugcngc

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal's Style

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by kat19 on Sat Feb 21 2015, 03:48

Maybe she just enjoys wearing designer clothes all the time. Maybe she just enjoys fashion and has fun with it. I don't see anyone trying to hold her up to "higher standards". Some people like her style, others don't. She's been called out on both sides of that argument by people in the media. So all of this oh I just don't get why she gets held to a higher standard just sounds like resentment, quite frankly. 

The whole well if she didn't dress like that they'd leave her alone argument is so flawed on so many different levels. First of all, she's married to one of the biggest movie stars out there so no, they were not going to leave her alone. Moreover, she's been wearing expensive and designer stuff since before she ever met George. That is who she is and how she likes to express herself. Not her fault if the media likes to focus on that aspect of her. Why the hell should she have to change who she is or how she dresses to placate some people on fanboards online who are annoyed by her and clearly would resent her either way.

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 212
Join date : 2014-05-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Katiedot on Sat Feb 21 2015, 07:10

The fact is, if she turned up everywhere in $1 t-shirts and whatever, she'd be getting just as much shit from her critics on this site for not dressing appropriately or for 'embarrassing' George by looking poor. And they'd say she was just doing it for a good image, not because she genuinely cared.

This criticism of her expensive designer clothes has nothing to do with humanitarianism and everything to do with the fact that some people are looking for reasons to hate her.  If you [this is a general 'you', not anyone specific] hate someone, you're always going to find something bad about them and you'll always look for a negative interpretation of their behaviour because you need for them to be bad in order to justify your hatred of them.

I don't like Amal, and goddammit, some of you keep forcing me to defend her.

Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by mel01 on Sat Feb 21 2015, 13:22

Katiedot wrote:The fact is, if she turned up everywhere in $1 t-shirts and whatever, she'd be getting just as much shit from her critics on this site for not dressing appropriately or for 'embarrassing' George by looking poor.  And they'd say she was just doing it for a good image, not because she genuinely cared.

This criticism of her expensive designer clothes has nothing to do with humanitarianism and everything to do with the fact that some people are looking for reasons to hate her.  If you [this is a general 'you', not anyone specific] hate someone, you're always going to find something bad about them and you'll always look for a negative interpretation of their behaviour because you need for them to be bad in order to justify your hatred of them.

  No Katie, any issue i might have with Amal's dressing has nothing to do with liking or disliking her. Though of course, since none of us know her personally, her choices and the image she chooses to present just influence our feelings towards her  - negative or otherwise.

  For the record, i have never been one of those to criticise any of George's companions over the years (haha, as far as i can remember that is). 
  I stand by what i said on this other thread, despite the dissenting views of other posters [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

  I completely agree with everything Whatwouldhesay expressed. It bothers me that people would pick on her remarks, when she took the time to write that. Incidentally, just came across this article yesterday...it illustrates my point:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


Last edited by mel01 on Sat Feb 21 2015, 13:30; edited 1 time in total

mel01
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 211
Join date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by mel01 on Sat Feb 21 2015, 13:26

Sorry Katie, i tried to figure it out but i just don't know how to post the original article and pics. So i'll just copy and paste it here.

Her Outfit Costs What?! Amal Clooney’s $7,803 Date Night Style
Looking perfectly polished as always, Amal Clooney celebrated her first Valentine's Day as a married woman with hubby George Clooney in Los Angeles last weekend. And while she's known for her flirty dresses and refined styles, the 37-year-old kept the holiday casual. Butcasual doesn't mean inexpensive! If you want to nab Amal's date night style, it'll cost you a pretty penny. But just how much? Let's break it down:
Mrs. Clooney paired her $178 Citizens of Humanity skinny jeans with a trendy Saint Laurent suede fringed cape. But this isn't your average outerwear—it rings in at a hefty $3,990! 
Adding some glam to her otherwise low-key outfit, Amal wore a glitzy Akong London rhinestone necklace, and the price—just a cool $390. And FYI, this jewelry brand is a personal fave of Amal's, as she's worn their duds on multiple occasions.
Next up? Shoes! We're drooling over Mrs. Clooney's leather and snakeskin horsebit ankle booties, and for good reason: They're Gucci. But at $1,595, we doubt many people will be rushing out to buy a pair.
Last but certainly not least, Amal added some color to her casual classy look with a blue crocodile Nancy Gonzalez clutch for $1,650.
And there you have it: $7,803 for this laidback look.
Breaking it down piece by piece:
Citizens of Humanity jeans - $178
Saint Laurent cape - $3,990
Akong London necklace - $390
Nancy Gonzalez clutch - $1,650
Gucci boots - $1,595

mel01
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 211
Join date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Donnamarie on Sat Feb 21 2015, 14:30

In regards to the eonline article which broke down the cost of each item Amal wore that night it also went on to highlight a number of celebrities and their clothing.  It showed pics of Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, JLo, etc and broke down each piece.  Quite comparable to the cost of Amal's and in many case much more. It has become the norm now to highlight whatever Amal is wearing because she is very fashion forward in her appearance (her fashion selections for her wedding sealed it).  And for the media it's much easier to go on and on about her outfits than to  focus much on what she does as a lawyer and the cases she's involved with.  Doesn't make for interesting press.

I don't feel that I "picked" on what WhatWouldHeSay when I defended Amal yesterday.  I disagree with her perceptions and I especially took issue with her including clips of The Sudanese people to defend her argument about Amal. I suspect she knew she would get a robust response to her post.  Discussion of Amal here is a hot button item.

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2014-08-26
Location : Washington, DC

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by PigPen on Sat Feb 21 2015, 14:58

I appreciate she has an image to maintain, and I could care less how she spends her/his money on clothes.  But just my opinion... that outfit does not look like it's worth $7803.

PigPen
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1828
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by What Would He Say on Sat Feb 21 2015, 17:02

WOW!

Thank you every one! for all your replies, please don't feel I was ignoring you, especially those who took the trouble to post more than once....I am, unfortunately time poor.

I promise, promise to reply individually to each post, fingers crossed for tomorrow or at some stage during the week.... I thought it would be ignored  Hello!....

I've scanned most today, but have to get the ball rolling with at least one and I think the best is Bellalique....

Bellalique
Bellalique wrote:Seems to me the OP has, despite her protestations to the contrary, a very rigid idea of who she thinks and wants George Clooney to be, and one she really is hugely reluctant to abandon. And so she blames his wife.



You hit the nail on the head here Bellalique!

You are right I have tried to leave COH….at least half a dozen times….each time never to come back….DAMN IT!

But you know what, I have never abandoned a friend, because of MY perception of their life…..and a fan is just a friend that you might never meet…..I’m not abandoning George….not now, not ever….

Guilty as charged, we have had our ups and downs….but  underneath it all, I’m a fan for the long haul….It's my problem(only) to see through the bad times and appreciate the good...

You say rigid, which is one way of putting it, I say clear.  Somedays I see more clearly than others….but again it’s perception…..

I blame nobody…..thats your perception… But overall well done, and thank you so much for taking the time.

What Would He Say
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1961
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by melbert on Sat Feb 21 2015, 17:27

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 19134
Join date : 2010-12-06
Location : George's House

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Joanna on Sat Feb 21 2015, 17:35

Is this going to be the regular type of article in future ?
Totalling up the cost of every item every woman in Hollywood wears ?
Will it continue into the Oscars too ?

What a bore. Sleep

Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 19069
Join date : 2011-11-17
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by What Would He Say on Sat Feb 21 2015, 17:53

Way2Old4Dis wrote:You know, I get your point, and I'm not exactly on the fan list, either, but this feels a little misguided. Or maybe that's the wrong word. My brain is frozen.

Amal doesn't live in war-torn Africa. She makes a good living and is married to a wealthy man. She apparently always indulged her stylish tastes, and does it even more so now that she has the means. She is probably very conscious of being photographed at every turn, wants to look her best, and wants to make her husband proud.

Would I wear a cape and boots that costs the average person's month's salary to a casual dinner? No, I wouldn't. (I probably wouldn't buy them even if I could, but that's another story.) But then, my picture isn't blasted all over the globe whenever I go out, and I'm not married to George Fucking Clooney.

If George thought her attire was inappropriate, he'd probably mention it in hopes that she'd 'get it,' but if she didn't... well, she's an adult and she makes her own choices.

The thing that would bother me more is if this was intentional 'out-dressing' the other people in the group for the sake of being the center of attention, especially among the women. In the days when I went out to eat often -- long ago -- I had an acquaintance who did that, and it bugged the crap out of me.

Also, I've seen Sandra Bullock out and about a couple of times. She has a couple hundred million bucks of her own -- more money than George, in fact -- and she manages to look chic and well put-together without prompting observers to check out the price tags of her attire.

So, yeah, I see what you're saying. But the world takes all kinds. And Amal isn't injuring anybody or taking anything away from anyone needy when she wears what she wears. She's not obliged to clothe and/or feed the world.



Oh go on one more.....has to be Way2.....my Way with words.....

You get it!.....A friend mailed about the cape....I actually like Amal's style....go back peeps read the threads....see what I said about the gloves (it ties in with the Protective Green T-Shirt)....What caused this was that it was for a casual Sunday night at the local Chinese with a group of mates....That broke my heart.  Sorry if thats dramatic, but that is how it felt....Not a red carpet or celeb party or luncheon...just a group of mates out for a bite.

Again, you Way are also right she is not obliged to feed and clothe the world....Sadly most people 99.9% feel the same.  Sad

What Would He Say
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1961
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Nicky80 on Sat Feb 21 2015, 18:04

I don't get it. What's the Problem with a "Group of mates out for a bite"? I don't understand your answer.... scratch

Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by kat19 on Sat Feb 21 2015, 19:02

She can wear whatever she wants, whenever she wants. Whether it's to a red carpet or a restaurant while meeting with friends. Her money, her choice, her life. 

It really is that simple. 

She has her own job, for which she is paid handsomely I presume. She can use that money and the money of her husband as SHE pleases. 

Posting videos of the Sudan is a low blow. You can say that anyone on this earth who indulges in any way should be sending that money to an impoverished nation or something similar. Heck you can criticize anyone for that. She is not solely responsible for the poor people on this earth. The reasoning behind trying to pin that on her because she wears expensive clothes is absolutely astounding. There are many wealthy people on this planet. We don't know how much she gives to charity and quite frankly it's none of our business either. It's just another attempt to find some reason, ANY reason to make her out to be a "bad guy" in order to justify one's own resentment towards her. 

You don't like her, fine. Just state that. But taking this sanctimonious approach about how her money would be better spent on African children is just a way to make you feel better about your dislike for her. 

Again, her money, her life. She can do whatever she wants with it.

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 212
Join date : 2014-05-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Joanna on Sat Feb 21 2015, 19:07

Whatwouldhesay wrote..."Again, you Way are also right she is not obliged to feed and clothe the world....


Sadly most people 99.9% feel the same." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]


With respect wwhs.....I think you're generalising
too much here.   flower

None of us can possibly know that fact.

Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 19069
Join date : 2011-11-17
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by annemarie on Sat Feb 21 2015, 19:16

She wore a cape, capes are on trend and in style this season. Amals was expensive and why shouldn't it be,  she can afford the best there is so why not. There is no reason for her to not wear a piece of clothing because she is going to meet friends it wasn't a ball gown it was a cape something a lot of women wear.

annemarie
Clooney Purist

Posts : 4012
Join date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Silje on Sat Feb 21 2015, 20:00

I am sure Amal had nice clothes before George but in none of  the pics of her pre-George does she have the same kind of expensive clothes that she has now. She earns nicely as a lawyer but not the kind of money George earns. So in my opinion it is George who pays for her wardrobe. 75 000 $ a month according to a blind, which I think looks like a good estimate. And if anyone want to prove me wrong then cough up the pictures of her wearing the same expensive clothes pre-George.

And of course  she can wear anything she wants but always wearing expensive outfits when she goes out of the house will make her seem like someone who is not at all down to earth. She comes across to me as an entitled princesse just like Gwyneth Paltrow does.

And one of the things that attracted me to George was that he seemed like a down to earth kind of guy, one of "the people".

So if this is what he wants in a woman then he is not the person I thought he was and I  am gradually losing interest in him.

Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2014-05-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 21 2015, 20:06

What Would He Say wrote:You hit the nail on the head here Bellalique!

You are right I have tried to leave COH….at least half a dozen times….each time never to come back….DAMN IT!

But you know what, I have never abandoned a friend, because of MY perception of their life…..and a fan is just a friend that you might never meet…..I’m not abandoning George….not now, not ever….

Guilty as charged, we have had our ups and downs….but  underneath it all, I’m a fan for the long haul….It's my problem(only) to see through the bad times and appreciate the good...

You say rigid, which is one way of putting it, I say clear.  Somedays I see more clearly than others….but again it’s perception…..

I blame nobody…..thats your perception… But overall well done, and thank you so much for taking the time.
You've misinterpreted my post. The abandonment I was referring to refers to your perception of Clooney, not your physical abandonment of him.

You have, imo, hugely unrealistic expectations of him and, rather than examining that - which is to do with you, not him - you choose instead to externalise your frustrations and focus them on his wife's spending habits and make her the source of your disappointment with him. 

And all because she happens to love fashion and chooses to spend her money on the things that give her pleasure.

The day Amal gives an interview and expresses views is the only day that I will have an opinion about her. It may be positive, it may be negative, but at least it will be based on  something solid and real, rather than the cost of what she wears, and until then, everything else is just random tabloid noise.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by premiere on Sat Feb 21 2015, 22:09

Katiedot wrote:The fact is, if she turned up everywhere in $1 t-shirts and whatever, she'd be getting just as much shit from her critics on this site for not dressing appropriately or for 'embarrassing' George by looking poor.  And they'd say she was just doing it for a good image, not because she genuinely cared.

This criticism of her expensive designer clothes has nothing to do with humanitarianism and everything to do with the fact that some people are looking for reasons to hate her.  If you [this is a general 'you', not anyone specific] hate someone, you're always going to find something bad about them and you'll always look for a negative interpretation of their behaviour because you need for them to be bad in order to justify your hatred of them.

I don't like Amal, and goddammit, some of you keep forcing me to defend her.
Just curious, Katie. Why don't you like her?

premiere
Clooney Expert

Posts : 274
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by LornaDoone on Sat Feb 21 2015, 22:52

Nicky80 wrote:I don't get it. What's the Problem with a "Group of mates out for a bite"? I don't understand your answer.... scratch

It's not a problem about going out with his friends.  Using the term a "group of mates for a bite" to me means a more casual occassion, not one where a person would be likely to "dress up."

So stating that would lead me to believe the person making the comment felt that Amal was overdressed for the occassion.  That's I think really all the poster was stating. Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

I think it's just a language issue Nicky.  Sometimes slang terms on one languages doesn't translate well into another.

LornaDoone
Moderator

Posts : 6692
Join date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by mel01 on Sun Feb 22 2015, 01:55

premiere wrote:
Katiedot wrote:The fact is, if she turned up everywhere in $1 t-shirts and whatever, she'd be getting just as much shit from her critics on this site for not dressing appropriately or for 'embarrassing' George by looking poor.  And they'd say she was just doing it for a good image, not because she genuinely cared.

This criticism of her expensive designer clothes has nothing to do with humanitarianism and everything to do with the fact that some people are looking for reasons to hate her.  If you [this is a general 'you', not anyone specific] hate someone, you're always going to find something bad about them and you'll always look for a negative interpretation of their behaviour because you need for them to be bad in order to justify your hatred of them.

I don't like Amal, and goddammit, some of you keep forcing me to defend her.
Just curious, Katie. Why don't you like her?


   Yeah Katie, i wondered the same thing Smile

mel01
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 211
Join date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by mel01 on Sun Feb 22 2015, 02:09

Nicky80 wrote:I don't get it. What's the Problem with a "Group of mates out for a bite"? I don't understand your answer.... scratch

   The point being made was that she dressed like that just for a casual dinner out with friends. For sushi. And George was dressed casual too. It's not like some previous double dates he and Stacy had with CC and Rande, when all 4 were a bit more formal, with the guys putting on a coat/dinner jacket, so u knew the places they went to those times were a bit higher end (like Spago etc).

    It's ok even if her cape cost USD 4k, cuz high-end jackets and coats can be very expensive, up to 100k...and no doubt she'll get a lot of wear out of the cape (unless she's the type who doesn't want to be photographed twice in the same clothing). BUT, in this case, she went out for a casual dinner with friends and picked up a $1650 clutch to go with the outfit.

mel01
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 211
Join date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Cece42 on Sun Feb 22 2015, 02:44

Why is everyone feeling sorry for Amal because people are talking about her expensive wardrobe.  As someone stated on here about George being down to earth and one of the people, I totally agree, it seems he is changing, and that's too bad.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Posts : 296
Join date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by annemarie on Sun Feb 22 2015, 03:37

I don't feel sorry for Amal  I hope she is happy and enjoying her life with George. She should have what she likes and enjoys the same way any of us do. I think the only change in George is he is married.

annemarie
Clooney Purist

Posts : 4012
Join date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by annemarie on Sun Feb 22 2015, 03:51

I get that sometimes people rub people the wrong way and can dislike them because of this. I don't understand the out right hate that is thrown at Amal she hasn't done anything to anyone and George loves and married her. We haven't heard her say a word or seen her do anything wrong yet people hate her. Why put so much energy into hating someone you don't know it makes no sense to me.

annemarie
Clooney Purist

Posts : 4012
Join date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Donnamarie on Sun Feb 22 2015, 04:34

Cece42 wrote:Why is everyone feeling sorry for Amal because people are talking about her expensive wardrobe.  As someone stated on here about George being down to earth and one of the people, I totally agree, it seems he is changing, and that's too bad.

I think most of the posters here are simply defending Amal and her choices, not feeling sorry for her.

I know Amal is disliked by many of you here.  I think even some of you have said that you're not even sure why you don't like her but you don't.  So be it.  I would rather you have legitimate reasons for not liking her - comments she has made or behavior that was inappropriate or something that would be considered offensive.   All I can figure is that you don't like her looks, her designer clothes, her smiling at the camera too much. That's what gets me.

And if George has changed I think it is in a good way.  He decided he wanted to share the rest of his life with someone he finds very special.

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2014-08-26
Location : Washington, DC

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by melbert on Sun Feb 22 2015, 05:07

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 19134
Join date : 2010-12-06
Location : George's House

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Cece42 on Sun Feb 22 2015, 05:35

First of all I never said I HATED Amal, and I don't recall anyone else saying they Hated her. I dislike her because of the coy looks she gives, which comes across as phony.  I especially don't like some of the clients she represents, so to me she is not a humanitarian.  And as far as her clothes I could care less what she wears, except (sorry I have to throw this in) for the dress she wore after the wedding, the short front that practically showed her YAYA, it seems to me that she wants attention.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Posts : 296
Join date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by annemarie on Sun Feb 22 2015, 11:58

You don't have to come  out and say you hate someone for it to show. The dislike of Amal is simply our own perceptions to be fair none of us know her. Judging a book by it's cover comes to mind and we know that can be wrong.

annemarie
Clooney Purist

Posts : 4012
Join date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by LornaDoone on Sun Feb 22 2015, 16:32

People dislike Amal for various reasons based on what I've read on this board and elsewhere:

10.  They don't like who she represents in her law practice.

9.  They don't like that she seems to pander to the camera.

8.  They don't like that she dresses too expensively when there are people starving in whatever third world country you think she should be sending her money to instead.

7. They don't like her because she's spending too much of George's money.

6. They don't like her because she looks like a "tranny"

5.  They don't like her because she's a Muslim or might be a Muslim but even if she's not a Muslim just the fact that she's originally from the Middle East is enough reason to not like her.

4.  They don't like that she's a haughty looking lawyer.

3.  They don't like her because she's not friendly to George's friends and seems bored around them.

2.  They don't like her because even though she's George's wife and he has stated publicly that he loves her it's all just a PR ploy to hide some secret George doesn't want out.

And the number one reason why people don't like Amal (but will vehemently deny it) is that SHE got George to marry HER so now he won't be able to marry YOU!

LornaDoone
Moderator

Posts : 6692
Join date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by kat19 on Sun Feb 22 2015, 17:36

Cece42 wrote:Why is everyone feeling sorry for Amal because people are talking about her expensive wardrobe.  As someone stated on here about George being down to earth and one of the people, I totally agree, it seems he is changing, and that's too bad.

"Why is everyone feeling sorry for Amal?" basically equates to "why does anyone dare defend her against all the irrational hate directed at her?"

All the hate should go unanswered and just accepted by all. No one should be defending her right? She doesn't deserve it because she's a horrible terrible evil person. 


NO ONE is feeling sorry for her. But many of us can see that there is a level of vitriol launched at her that is just uncalled for.

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 212
Join date : 2014-05-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Katiedot on Sun Feb 22 2015, 18:42

premiere wrote:Just curious, Katie. Why don't you like her?
mel01 wrote:Yeah Katie, i wondered the same thing Smile
Ummm, I can't really answer that because I don't have any sound rational reason. I've just never warmed to her and I guess I never will.

Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by lelacorb on Sun Feb 22 2015, 21:29

I do not like Amal, why? Perhaps because the international press considers it a great advocate for international law and I do not find a single reason to consider it great. I can consider a human rights lawyer interanazionale a great lawyer when he saved even a poor person of the people from the gallows and she has never done so far has dealt with causes that aims to defend powerful wealthy gentlemen who are soiled with crimes against humanity, can I estimate it? No, my conscience forbids me. I can estimate George because he believed and paid with his own money to defend the Sudan, what is happening in Sudan today is a clear message that George has failed but he believed it, he paid from his own pocket and above all attempted to defend povea people!
What I can not stand Amal? His shy smile from virgin teenager! What is false! An international lawyer who speaks to court evangelical fears a shy smile before the cameras? and do not know how he manages to find but all maqcchine cameras of the paparazzi and always be in the center of the viewfinder, it is not easy it takes a great school!

lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Posts : 3315
Join date : 2011-03-15
Location : Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Mon Feb 23 2015, 14:55

Katiedot wrote:
premiere wrote:Just curious, Katie. Why don't you like her?
mel01 wrote:Yeah Katie, i wondered the same thing Smile
Ummm, I can't really answer that because I don't have any sound rational reason.  I've just never warmed to her and I guess I never will.



It's possible to not 'like' someone you've never met. We do it with performers all the time. I've never met Edward Norton or James Woods, but I don't like either of them. They may be perfectly fine people. But there's something about them that doesn't sit right with me. It's a 'gut' thing, and I think it's valid.

That's not to say that I think it's okay to spew insults at someone because your gut doesn't take a liking to them.

Way2Old4Dis
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2095
Join date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Donnamarie on Mon Feb 23 2015, 20:52

Dx
Way2Old4Dis wrote:
Katiedot wrote:
premiere wrote:Just curious, Katie. Why don't you like her?
mel01 wrote:Yeah Katie, i wondered the same thing Smile
Ummm, I can't really answer that because I don't have any sound rational reason.  I've just never warmed to her and I guess I never will.



It's possible to not 'like' someone you've never met. We do it with performers all the time. I've never met Edward Norton or James Woods, but I don't like either of them. They may be perfectly fine people. But there's something about them that doesn't sit right with me. It's a 'gut' thing, and I think it's valid.

That's not to say that I think it's okay to spew insults at someone because your gut doesn't take a liking to them.

I get that.  There are well known people that I don't particularly like either for no valid reason.  But I wouldn't go on a public forum and diss them.  Certainly not the way Amal is criticized here.  I know she is also not liked by many who comment on other media sites. Awful things are said about her.  I feel that it really irresponsible.  Of course people have a right to their opinion of her but if negative judgements are going to be made back it up with something other than a personal perception before you blast her or anyone else for that matter.  I think this kind of negative rhetoric is harmful and and says more about the person making the comments than about Amal.

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2014-08-26
Location : Washington, DC

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Joanna on Mon Feb 23 2015, 21:14

Donnamarie wrote:Dx
Way2Old4Dis wrote:
Katiedot wrote:
premiere wrote:Just curious, Katie. Why don't you like her?
mel01 wrote:Yeah Katie, i wondered the same thing Smile
Ummm, I can't really answer that because I don't have any sound rational reason.  I've just never warmed to her and I guess I never will.



It's possible to not 'like' someone you've never met. We do it with performers all the time. I've never met Edward Norton or James Woods, but I don't like either of them. They may be perfectly fine people. But there's something about them that doesn't sit right with me. It's a 'gut' thing, and I think it's valid.

That's not to say that I think it's okay to spew insults at someone because your gut doesn't take a liking to them.

I get that.  There are well known people that I don't particularly like either for no valid reason.  But I wouldn't go on a public forum and diss them.  Certainly not the way Amal is criticized here.  I know she is also not liked by many who comment on other media sites. Awful things are said about her.  I feel that it really irresponsible.  Of course people have a right to their opinion of her but if negative judgements are going to be made back it up with something other than a personal perception before you blast her or anyone else for that matter.  

** I think this kind of negative rhetoric is harmful and and says more about the person making the comments than about Amal.


** I agree with that thought too DonnaMarie, and always have done.

But I expected all that to happen....Smile

May I say I also wonder if the negativity comes out because 
Amal is not an American woman in the entertainment business ?

Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 19069
Join date : 2011-11-17
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by annemarie on Mon Feb 23 2015, 21:53

I feel like Amal gets attacked because she has a clean reputation. She is educated comes from a well off family and has made her own name. All George's ex girlfriends have had shall we say interesting pasts all of which can be seen live and in color on the internet. Some people love drama and finding dirt on other women. Amal doesn't have this kind of reputation I think that may bother some people.  She hasn't given them any ammunition to use against her so they find their own.

annemarie
Clooney Purist

Posts : 4012
Join date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Joanna on Tue Feb 24 2015, 00:48

annemarie....you nailed it Thumbs up!

Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 19069
Join date : 2011-11-17
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Katiedot on Tue Feb 24 2015, 04:17

Way2Old4Dis wrote: That's not to say that I think it's okay to spew insults at someone because your gut doesn't take a liking to them.
donnamarie wrote:Of course people have a right to their opinion of her but if negative judgements are going to be made back it up with something other than a personal perception before you blast her or anyone else for that matter.  I think this kind of negative rhetoric is harmful and and says more about the person making the comments than about Amal.
EXACTLY!  And now that you both have written it out like that for me, I think I can understand why I get sooo angry when I see these insults and slams made against Amal in this forum - it's because I know my dislike of her is probably irrational and therefore control myself and I really wonder why others can't.  

annemarie wrote: Some people love drama and finding dirt on other women.
 Yes, I used to have the same conversation on this forum with fans when he was dating Elisabetta and Stacy and when I asked why they had to constantly criticise her, their answer was "because it's so easy".  Like that makes it ok then?

Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by What Would He Say on Tue Feb 24 2015, 14:28

Bellalique wrote:
What Would He Say wrote:You hit the nail on the head here Bellalique!

You are right I have tried to leave COH….at least half a dozen times….each time never to come back….DAMN IT!

But you know what, I have never abandoned a friend, because of MY perception of their life…..and a fan is just a friend that you might never meet…..I’m not abandoning George….not now, not ever….

Guilty as charged, we have had our ups and downs….but  underneath it all, I’m a fan for the long haul….It's my problem(only) to see through the bad times and appreciate the good...

You say rigid, which is one way of putting it, I say clear.  Somedays I see more clearly than others….but again it’s perception…..

I blame nobody…..thats your perception… But overall well done, and thank you so much for taking the time.


You've misinterpreted my post. The abandonment I was referring to refers to your perception of Clooney, not your physical abandonment of him.

You have, imo, hugely *unrealistic expectations of him and, rather than examining that - which is to do with you, not him - you choose instead to externalise your frustrations and focus them on his wife's spending habits and make her the source of your disappointment with him. 

And all because she happens to love fashion and chooses to spend her money on the things that give her pleasure.

The day Amal gives an** interview and expresses views is the only day that I will have an opinion about her. It may be positive, it may be negative, but at least it will be based on  something solid and real, rather than the cost of what she wears, and until then, everything else is just random tabloid noise.


Bellalique

*Are you concerned I have mental health/phycological issues re; my post?

Just a yes or no, and I will be back to you…

**Chaplin made a career of saying nothing, absolute silence…..

What Would He Say
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1961
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 25 2015, 10:16

What Would He Say wrote:Bellalique

*Are you concerned I have mental health/phycological issues re; my post?

Just a yes or no, and I will be back to you…

**Chaplin made a career of saying nothing, absolute silence…..
No, just offering an opinion on your view of Clooney.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by / on Thu Feb 26 2015, 19:07

Amal has influenced a fashion trend apparently.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


Amal Clooney Inspired Runway Gloves on the NYFW Runway

Elbow-length gloves were spotted at Oscar de la Renta , Marc Jacobs and Boss during NYFW.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
 
Amal Clooney may have received slack for pairing white elbow-length gloves with her Dior gown at the Golden Globes, but she seems to have made an impact on the fashion crowd—and started a new trend. At last night's Marc Jacobs show, Boss and Peter Copping's debut Oscar de la Renta show; opera gloves appeared on the runway paired with a party dress (de la Renta) and work-appropriate shift dress (Boss) and evening gown (Jacobs). Consider them an accessory to try.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
 


Last edited by Nicky80 on Thu Feb 26 2015, 20:46; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed post)

/
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 209
Join date : 2014-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Donnamarie on Thu Feb 26 2015, 19:24

Thanks Codexchick.  Very cool.  Saw this article a few days ago but because of my posting challenges I resisted trying to post it on COH.   Don't know how trendy opera length gloves will have on the general public  but it's a very feminine and elegant look for women.  I remember Bellalique saying here she often wears opera gloves out when she dresses up. I just don't go anywhere on evenings out where I would feel comfortable wearing them.

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2014-08-26
Location : Washington, DC

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by / on Thu Feb 26 2015, 20:11

Donnamarie wrote:Thanks Codexchick.  Very cool.  Saw this article a few days ago but because of my posting challenges I resisted trying to post it on COH.  
As you might have noticed, I didn't quite get it right this time either. The picture of the fashion shows is for some reason cut off. Luckily there's a link to the website. Smile

/
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 209
Join date : 2014-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Nicky80 on Thu Feb 26 2015, 20:46

I fixed it for you Codexchick. it Looks all good now

Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by party animal - not! on Thu Feb 26 2015, 23:49

Just thought I'd wade into this debate about clothes.....someone asked if Amal had ever worn such clothes pre His Nibs and the short answer is yes......couple of examples: the D & G playsuit, the Chanel suit, the jewellery - lots of pix online. She is not short of money......remember that her family part-owned Middle East Airlines - and possibly still do...........

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Posts : 7771
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Donnamarie on Fri Feb 27 2015, 02:57

Amal worked hard to achieve the success she earned in college and law school and as a lawyer BUT she is a privileged person. Her family comes from money as PAN mentioned and obviously has lived a privileged  life growing up.  Amal makes I am sure a very good salary.  I don't see why Amal should change her life style because she's in the public eye now and somehow her penchant for designer clothes will present an image of a less than genuine and charitable person.  I would have to believe that she gives money to a number of charities as I'm sure her family does too.  We're just not aware of it.

Most of us can't relate to the kind of life that  Amal grew up in and lives today but I don't think we should resent or begrudge her way of life.  It doesn't make her a less than kind person.  George would have never married someone who wasn't kind and caring.  He just wouldn't.
All IMO.

Donnamarie
Clooney-looney!

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2014-08-26
Location : Washington, DC

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by / on Fri Feb 27 2015, 17:13

Nicky80 wrote:I fixed it for you Codexchick. it Looks all good now

Thank you!

/
Learning to love George Clooney

Posts : 209
Join date : 2014-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by party animal - not! on Fri Feb 27 2015, 17:36

And these are not things she wears just once - the brown trousers in Athens are a case in point. Worn in a tv interview re Tymoshenko on BBC World News (December 2013/January 2014 I think..

I'm not convinced that she's necessarily using the Hollywood 'loan' system from designers either.......

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Posts : 7771
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by What Would He Say on Mon Mar 02 2015, 12:55

mel01 wrote:
Katiedot wrote:The fact is, if she turned up everywhere in $1 t-shirts and whatever, she'd be getting just as much shit from her critics on this site for not dressing appropriately or for 'embarrassing' George by looking poor.  And they'd say she was just doing it for a good image, not because she genuinely cared.

This criticism of her expensive designer clothes has nothing to do with humanitarianism and everything to do with the fact that some people are looking for reasons to hate her.  If you [this is a general 'you', not anyone specific] hate someone, you're always going to find something bad about them and you'll always look for a negative interpretation of their behaviour because you need for them to be bad in order to justify your hatred of them.

  No Katie, any issue i might have with Amal's dressing has nothing to do with liking or disliking her. Though of course, since none of us know her personally, her choices and the image she chooses to present just influence our feelings towards her  - negative or otherwise.

  For the record, i have never been one of those to criticise any of George's companions over the years (haha, as far as i can remember that is). 
  I stand by what i said on this other thread, despite the dissenting views of other posters [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

  I completely agree with everything Whatwouldhesay expressed. It bothers me that people would pick on her remarks, when she took the time to write that. Incidentally, just came across this article yesterday...it illustrates my point:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



Thanks mel01, I have a champion....and I am grateful Give Flowers

You are right it has nothing to do with like or dislike.... I used to dislike Amal now I am (mostly) ambivelent, mixed, but certainly not hate.  To illustrate, another of my greatest loves is Will Shakespear, well documented in posts here on COH.... however I don't give a flying monkeys about Mrs Shakespear....Ooops just realised her actual name is Anne Hathaway.... spookey!

However, if I think that dressing up in $7000.00 + togs for a casual night at the local Chinese is not right, distastful even, I WILL say it ....as it is MHO, nothing more.

What Would He Say
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1961
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by What Would He Say on Mon Mar 02 2015, 13:00

Donnamarie wrote:There are many wealthy men and women in the world who wear luxury clothing, have multiple homes, cars, take expensive trips and donate to worthy causes.  Because Amal dresses in designer clothing says nothing of her humanitarian efforts.  We don't know how she contributes to causes that she believes in.  

Because Amal is the wife of George Clooney she is being held to a different standard than most.   Before being so judgemental people should at least say they have met or know her enough to defend their criticisms of her.  No one here knows Amal nor do they know anyone who knows her.  Perceptions can be very misleading!


I hold all people to be the same....If a freind over dressed for the occassion I would open my big gob again....It's what I do Embarassed

I would certainly open my mouth as regards the effort she puts into her style V the expected reaction.

What Would He Say
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1961
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by What Would He Say on Mon Mar 02 2015, 13:25

Donnamarie wrote:WhatWouldHeSay, I also want to say that I thought it incredibly unnecessary and inappropriate to include clips of impoverished people in the Sudan to make your point.



another poster I can't find wrote:Low blow



Donnamarie, and poster I can't find (time again, sorry) for the first half of my working life I was in and out of Africa for years like a fiddlers elbow....I will NEVER think it inappropriate to hi-light a situation that is now so far out of control to be terrifying....

Did you watch the end of the first video?....did you see the pure joy, the difference to the lives of these women, made by a simple T-Shirt.

As for the "low Blow" I will never bow to intimidation when it comes to the appalling situation the west now has to deal with....purely because we have turned a blind eye to our brothers and sisters at distance......We were safe in the west, I posted over a year ago, how once when I was in India I looked around and remember clearly the conscience thought that if I was born into this place I would crawl on my hands and knees to get out...I went on to say that these places are also the places of greatest JOY..... to a degree, they knew no bettter.....but satellite comunication ended all that...... The "impoverished" people you talk about saw there was a better life, with fringes full to bursting with food, with homes with heat at the touch of a button and water you didn't have to walk miles for.....while they saw what we had we chose not to help them get it...or even worry about it......

THE ONLY PERSON WHO SAW THIS AND DECIDED TO REVERSE THE (satellite) SITUATION WAS GEORGE CLOONEY.

I am a fan....now and for the long haul.....whatever that maybe.....

What Would He Say
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1961
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal's Style

Post by Sponsored content Today at 22:24


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum