Sun Nov 27 2016, 03:58 by ladybugcngc

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney at Elie Wiesel foundation for humanity dinner

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: George Clooney at Elie Wiesel foundation for humanity dinner

Post by LizzyNY on Thu May 22 2014, 01:31

Missa - What the people who appear on/watch Fox News think about her politics doesn't matter. What the people in the industry where George makes his living think of her poltics might matter quite a bit.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Thu May 22 2014, 01:40

That's true, but if she is pro-Palestine, I don't think she'd be the only one in Hollywood by a mile. Angelina Jolie comes to mind as someone who has spent time in Palestinian refugee camps bringing attention to their plight. As she's about to open with one of the big summer tentpole movies, it doesn't seem to have  affected her career any.

When you see the number of people willing to defend/work with convicted child rapists (Roman Polanski) and suspected child molesters (Woody Allen), it's clear that all that matters to most people in Hollywood is the money and the awards. No one will refuse to work with a multiple Academy Award nominated director because they disagree with his girlfriend's politics.

Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisonfan on Thu May 22 2014, 02:00

tvfan wrote:GC speaks about his engagement:

George Clooney joked about his engagement to London lawyer Amal Alamuddin last night during a dinner for the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity, which presented him with the Arts for Humanity Award.

I find we all have something very much in common, besides the fact we’re in shock that I’m getting married,” the 53-year-old bachelor told guests. “We’re all doing best we can to try to stop violence, and our efforts often come up short.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now we really know! That George knows he's getting married. AA has a ring, but as far as we fans are concerned she could have got engaged to George W Bush. Interesting turn of phase "we're in shock that I'm getting married". As opposed to " we're in shock that I'm engaged". Putting the cart before the horse this early, sounds like he is the one pushing the wedding ASAP. George in love?  Suspect 

Alisonfan
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens on Thu May 22 2014, 02:08

I also think it could have been their first public appearance as an engaged couple...but she was in London and George just made his first public appearance since engaement in China! A surprising choice.
Maybe they need more time to manage such PR thing.
They're letting the engaement fact sink in calmly and reminding us there's a lot good stuff in world other than celebrities' wedding plans.

Last edited by Sevens on Thu May 22 2014, 02:23; edited 1 time in total

Sevens
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Thu May 22 2014, 02:10

Missa - I'm too tired to argue rationally right now. I think there's a big difference between Angelina Jolie's humanitarian work and AA's politics. If she is pro-Palestinian (and I don't know if she is) I think it could affect his career. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Thu May 22 2014, 02:11

I think we will.  Very Happy Good night!

Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Thu May 22 2014, 02:13

Do we know what Amal's politics are?

I think it was nice that he's commented on getting married in public......

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy on Thu May 22 2014, 02:13

Speaking in general here,
One can disagree with its partner and support their decision at the same time.
It's called compromising.

But if one disagrees and doesn't support its partner's decisions either there could be trouble in their relationship.

Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Thu May 22 2014, 02:16

party animal - not! wrote:

Not that I'm aware. I feel like a lot of assumptions are being made based on her ethnicity, which is making me a little uncomfortable.

I liked his comment too. Nice way of commenting without making a big deal about it.

Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy on Thu May 22 2014, 02:22

It's obvious  that Mr. Clooney supports and is in accordance with her work which is a great start
to a beautiful relationship. I like it that he finally came out and publicly announced his engagement.

Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy on Thu May 22 2014, 05:15

Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy on Thu May 22 2014, 05:28

Please someone tell me if I'm wrong, doesn't she defend he clients as far as their civil rights go. In other words that they are getting a fair and equal treatment under the prevailing laws. The other lawyers defend them against the crimes they are accused of committing.

Say Omar al Bashir was finally brought to trial and hired her as his human rights attorney, that would be her sole obligation if she took the case?

Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Thu May 22 2014, 06:13

Missa wrote:
party animal - not! wrote:

Not that I'm aware. I feel like a lot of assumptions are being made based on her ethnicity, which is making me a little uncomfortable.

I liked his comment too.  Nice way of commenting without making a big deal about it.

Her politics were alluded to with the book she wrote or edited not sure exactly which one it was.

LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante on Thu May 22 2014, 09:53

Mazy wrote:Please someone tell me if I'm wrong, doesn't she defend he clients as far as their civil rights go. In other words that they are getting a fair and equal treatment under the prevailing laws. The other lawyers defend them against the crimes they are accused of committing.

Say Omar al Bashir was finally brought to trial and hired her as his human rights attorney, that would be her sole obligation if she took the case?

Oh yes, but you are accepting bloodmoney, no ?  Twisted Evil 

Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby on Thu May 22 2014, 13:14

@ Mazy - Basically, Amal is keeping them from being tried. She helped keep Assange from being deported to stand trial in his country, she's helping Gaddafi's henchmen from being tried in their country, etc. So actually at this point, they don't need a defense attorney, because she's making sure they are not being held accountable. And yes, it seems that she would work to keep Bashir from any trial in his own country, by his own people, despite his crimes against them. And she would say it's because he wouldn't get a fair trial there (because of course, he deserves fairness, but his victims don't). IF, she was ever hired by him.

I wonder what would happen if the "money trail" led straight to one of Amal's clients, and she kept them from being held responsible...all George's work with the satellite project would be moot

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb on Thu May 22 2014, 14:11

bellybaby wrote:@ Mazy - Basically, Amal is keeping them from being tried. She helped keep Assange from being deported to stand trial in his country, she's helping Gaddafi's henchmen from being tried in their country, etc. So actually at this point, they don't need a defense attorney, because she's making sure they are not being held accountable.  And yes, it seems that she would work to keep Bashir from any trial in his own country, by his own people, despite his crimes against them. And she would say it's because he wouldn't get a fair trial there (because of course, he deserves fairness, but his victims don't). IF, she was ever hired by him.

I wonder what would happen if the "money trail" led straight to one of Amal's clients, and she kept them from being held responsible...all George's work with the satellite project would be moot

I have your same doubts, do not question the ability 'Amal but it seems to me that there is no absolute correlation between the ideals of George spends millions of dollars to defend the human rights of poor people and the work of Amal I do not think I've ever defended no poor and we know that the human rights of those poor people to be violated every second of life in every part of the world. George spends his money to defend the most 'poor and Amal earn a lot of money to defend the rich at the expense of more' poor. Who sees a convergence between the two of them ideals and 'lucky or maybe blind.

lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Thu May 22 2014, 17:22

love is blind lela. As much as I hope this would work out - that political divide - or maybe I should say - ideological divide might be the biggest hurdle come down the road.

LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by fava on Thu May 22 2014, 21:27

LornaDoone wrote:love is blind lela.  As much as I hope this would work out - that political divide - or maybe I should say - ideological divide might be the biggest hurdle come down the road.

Not so sure it's such a divide. Isn't George the first one who admits he makes some movies for money so he can fund the the passion projects?

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Thu May 22 2014, 22:47

Fava - I don't think you can compare the "less artistic" or less serious movies he makes for the money to her representing the people she does. I'm not critical of her because she offers a service to people she feels won't get a fair trial. Someone has to do it, and if she's well paid for it, well, good for her - even if I don't like the people she represents.

What I'm curious about is her stance on the situation in the Middle East. Her family is close to the family of Yasser Arafat and she seems to support the Palestinan cause. Considering Israel is the one solid ally the US has in the region I would like to know where she stands on the subject. It might not matter at all in her relatonship with George, but , depending on her position, it could have an affect on his career.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy on Thu May 22 2014, 23:12

It is all very disturbing, I understand if she doesn't take the cases that make money she cannot afford to take the pro-bono ones. Sometime lawyers I think just concentrate on the aspects of the law it self and not on the person charged. Guess in a way I'm trying to justify the whole thing.

On the other point between the Palestinians and Israels, why do you have to be anti anyone of them. I'm not of the mind to be anti anyone ethnic group or religion. I think it is the individual people that cause the problems in the name of their group. That doesn't mean all are guilty. Not very well up there on a lot of these issues.

Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna on Thu May 22 2014, 23:21

I think maybe it would be a good idea to follow the rules 
of the Officer's Mess in the UK Armed Forces here.
No discussions on Politics or Religion allowed.

Just a thought that flashed through my head.

Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Fri May 23 2014, 00:43

Joanna - are you referring to George/Amal not discussing politics or are you suggesting the posters here not discuss - clarification

theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy on Fri May 23 2014, 01:16

Joanna wrote:I think maybe it would be a good idea to follow the rules 
of the Officer's Mess in the UK Armed Forces here.
No discussions on Politics or Religion allowed.

Just a thought that flashed through my head.

Joanna if it was my comments I really wasn't talking politics par se, it could be any two. What I was thing is that you could favor one doesn't mean you have to be against one. I know that rule and I don't know enough about foreign politics to discuss it. I try my best to keep rounded scope on the main issues.

Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Fri May 23 2014, 01:20

I don't want to speak for Joanna, but I think she was referring to the fact that we are getting very close to debating the Israel vs. Palestine conflict,  and given how heated conversations about girlfriend's shoes can get,  it may be best to leave that particular can of worms unopened.  Very Happy

Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy on Fri May 23 2014, 01:35

I agree personally I like shoe that are comfortable. hahaha

Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Fri May 23 2014, 03:33

Well theres plenty of room in the Kitchen if people want to discuss politics/religion - no topic is off limits on this forum!

theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Fri May 23 2014, 03:48

Yeah Right 

but I also think it's a valid discussion in relation to George and Amal. It's just that we can't discuss with any certainty since we don't have a clear picture of her views just family associations.

My only concern is that it might come to be an issue in the future between George and Amal since it's not so much them, but those with whom they associate or work with that would have issue with it.

As Lizzy says, I would hate for that to affect George's career.

LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Fri May 23 2014, 04:06

Yeah Im with you Lorna, just didn't explain it properly. Discuss away but none of us know their positions with any certainty, a lot of assumptions are made, just conjecture.

I also thought if people wanted to discuss politics/religion that is not directly related to G/A then the kitchen is the best place for it.

I'll shutup now, probably made it worse

theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Fri May 23 2014, 04:19

I think you were clear - the kitchen is the most appropriate place for those discussions. So you didn't make anything worse.

I was just commenting that it could be an issue for GC&AA too.

LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Fri May 23 2014, 04:35

It could very easily be an issue for them and not one that would be easily resolvable Id imagine. People usually are very strong minded about their particular political/religious beliefs or lack thereof. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when/if they discuss such things.

theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by bgarabedian on Fri May 23 2014, 08:56

George came out and announced about his marriage. he seems to me, the one who is pushing ahead rapidly. He wants this marriage more than she does, and he is the one to hurry it up. What is the big rush. he really should take a little more time and make sure this is what he wants. But I guess he already knows what he wants and nothing is going to stop him. He looks like a man who who caught that brass ring and I have a feeling she is the boss of this whole marriage thing. He will do whatever she tells him and he is a follower and not a leader. I hope he will not be a yes man and whatever you say man. Be strong george, and be the leader not the follower. I pray for you this will work out and you will be happy.bg

bgarabedian
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Fri May 23 2014, 09:00

equal
is the best way IMO

it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Fri May 23 2014, 11:15

What makes people think that he wants the marriage more than her, I don't understand that. And from all that we know of George I think its very unlikely that any woman could boss him around, he seems to me to be the kind of man that makes his own decisions.

theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Fri May 23 2014, 11:57

theminis wrote:What makes people think that he wants the marriage more than her, I don't understand that.  And from all that we know of George I think its very unlikely that any woman could boss him around, he seems to me to be the kind of man that makes his own decisions.  

And not the type of man who would marry someone diametrically opposed to his political beliefs, who would potentially defend the brutal dictator he's been working against for years. I think we can be faIrly certain George knows her better than we do.

Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Fri May 23 2014, 18:22

Missa - I would so much like to agree totally with you. I would like to think her politics mesh with his. I would like to believe that he wouldn't marry someone whose politics were very different from his beliefs.

I also know that what I think doesn't matter to them at all. That's fine. But her political beliefs could matter very much to a lot of the people he works with. It's not as if she's a housewife with certain beliefs; she's politically active on the world stage.

I just wish it was clear where she stands so speculation could just go away. If his loyal fans are uneasy about her, I imagine the same types of discussions are going on to some extent among the people in the industry. What she does professionally could affect him and his career.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Fri May 23 2014, 19:17

I don't think if we would know where she "stands" that the speculation would go away. If we would know where she stands then new speculations would come up. It will never stop. Even if she would have joined the dinner. 

Good for her that she keeps it for herself and nobody knows where she stands and how she thinks.  Thumbs up!

Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Fri May 23 2014, 21:12

@Nicky80 - Maybe good for her, but maybe not so good for him.

LizzyNY
Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen on Fri May 23 2014, 21:18

Fairly confident George knows where she stands on pretty much everything, and if there were to be any type of fallout because of it, he is prepared to defend his and her positions. He's a good debater, and can hold his own.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen on Fri May 23 2014, 21:28

oopsie Before anyone else says it... I'm confident Amal can defend herself if or when the need arises.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy on Fri May 23 2014, 22:25

I have to say there is not an enormous amount of negativity towards her on twitter and I think that if she stood for issues that most would disagree with that is where you would see it. Not sure if this helps. xxx

Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy on Fri May 23 2014, 23:12

Nicky80 wrote:I don't think if we would know where she "stands" that the speculation would go away. If we would know where she stands then new speculations would come up. It will never stop. Even if she would have joined the dinner. 

Good for her that she keeps it for herself and nobody knows where she stands and how she thinks.  Thumbs up!

What is she afraid of?

“Freedom lies in being bold.”
― Robert Frost

Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy on Fri May 23 2014, 23:21

She is not afraid to defend whomever she wants.

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
-Buddha

Better for her to remain silent than remove all doubt.

Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Sat May 24 2014, 07:24

I don't think she is afraid of something. She is smart. She is not a famous person. Good for her she keeps silence. And why should she remove all doubts by speaking up? The doubts are from Fans here in the forum. Who cares about that? Not George for sure. And in general the media has no doubts on her so far and talk about he work or cloth when she walks around London. Doubts are only in this forum.

I agree with Pigpen. I'm sure George knows all about her and knows what he is doing. It is all ok . Everyone has just to get used to it  Thumbs up!

Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by jd68 on Sat May 24 2014, 09:58

LizzyNY wrote:But her political beliefs could matter very much to a lot of the people he works with. It's not as if she's a housewife with certain beliefs; she's politically active on the world stage.

Hollywood cares about one thing = making money. As long as George is a bankable star they don't care who he's dating. All they care about are films making money. If audiences get turned off, then the studios care.

jd68
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Sat May 24 2014, 13:01

Its really absolutely none of our business what her views are on any subject, dating George doesn't mean she should be an open book or declare her feelings on any subject.

Does anyone really believe that George Clooney would walk down the wedding aisle with someone without first knowing them really well? I would think not, love is blind yes, but not normally that blind to 53 year old men!

theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Sat May 24 2014, 13:40

LOOOL !!!

it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy on Sat May 24 2014, 19:57

George has to know her very well by now or he would not have left his heart open to be hurt. Seems like maybe he is finally over Talia, which is good. He has worked with her on different issues, Syria being one of them. He knows many people higher up than both of them; there is not way I could believe that he doesn't know her politics and what she stands for he is a very smart individual. It hurts to say this but I for one think she might make him very happy. Which George says are happy moments not 24/7. So if he feels that they will have a fulfilling life together, we who are no one have to trust his judgement.

Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy on Sat May 24 2014, 20:46

Am going to put my two cents for the last time, and not because I don't like
the future miss clooney, but because I find it odd how ALL of you would
bang on Elisabetta's head for wearing ammunition for jewelry, and SK's lack
of comment of certain important issues.

Bottom line, you ALL DO CARE what the ladies that Mr. Clooney dates believe in or stand for.

I admire tho, how all of you have decided to give Mr. Clooney your blessing
for this marriage, regardless. I too congratulate him and wish him the best, but I wont at any point support her beliefs nor Elisabetta's or SK's life style of their past.

I hope that this unity in marriage will help Mr. Clooney with his Satellite Sentinel Project.

Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Sat May 24 2014, 21:01

So true, Mazy. And very, very sweet. Thank you for those words

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 14:32

Sponsored content