I forgot my password

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney at Elie Wiesel foundation for humanity dinner

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

George Clooney at Elie Wiesel foundation for humanity dinner

Post by Mazy on Wed May 21 2014, 03:08

I'm giving this a separate threads so you can move it. If it is really from today there might be more coming.

Last edited by Mazy on Wed May 21 2014, 08:55; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Nicky80: Changed thread title)

Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Re: George Clooney at Elie Wiesel foundation for humanity dinner

Post by LornaDoone on Wed May 21 2014, 03:50

Hmm, interesting his choice of fundraising event to attend.

LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 08:12

Yep Mazy he was there. Thanks for the find.

Found on les frenchies. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 08:16

I remember Rabbi Shmuley from the TV....Wasn't there a time he was hanging around with Michael Jackson? I never liked this guy how he came across through the media but maybe I got a wrong opinion here and in the US he has a different image.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 08:28; edited 1 time in total

Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 08:23

Jean Penn was there too

Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens on Wed May 21 2014, 09:00

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Sevens on Wed May 21 2014, 09:06; edited 1 time in total

Sevens
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens on Wed May 21 2014, 09:03

Sevens
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna on Wed May 21 2014, 10:00

I didn't know anything about Elie Wiesel Foundation 
so I checked it out. 

Excerpt From Wikipedia.....
Recent
In 1955, Wiesel moved to New York City, having become a US citizen (due to injuries suffered in a traffic accident, he was forced to stay in New York past his visa's expiration and was offered citizenship to resolve his status). In the US, Wiesel wrote over 40 books, both fiction and non-fiction, and won many literary prizes. Wiesel's writing is considered among the most important in Holocaust literature. Some historians credit Wiesel with giving the term "Holocaust" its present meaning, but he does not feel that the word adequately describes the event and wishes it were used less frequently to describe significant occurrences as everyday tragedies.[20]
Wiesel addressing theUnited States Congress
He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 for speaking out against violence, repression, and racism. He has received many other prizes and honors for his work, including theCongressional Gold Medal in 1985, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and The International Center in New York's Award of Excellence.[citation needed] Additionally, he was elected to theAmerican Academy of Arts and Letters in 1996.[citation needed]
Wiesel also played a role in the initial success of The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski by endorsing it before revelations that the book was fiction and, in the sense that it was presented as all Kosinski's true experience, a hoax.[citation needed]
Wiesel has published two volumes of his memoirs. The first, All Rivers Run to the Sea, was published in 1994 and covered his life up to the year 1969. The second, titled And the Sea is Never Full and published in 1999, covered 1969 to 1999.[citation needed]
Wiesel and his wife, Marion, started the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity. He served as chairman for the Presidential Commission on the Holocaust (later renamed US Holocaust Memorial Council) from 1978 to 1986, spearheading the building of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., during which he pleaded for intervention during the persecutions in Yugoslavia after a visit in December 1992.[citation needed]
Wiesel is particularly fond of teaching and holds the position of Andrew Mellon Professor of the Humanities at Boston University, where he became a close friend of the late president and chancellor John Silber.[21] From 1972 to 1976, Wiesel was a Distinguished Professor at the City University of New York and member of the American Federation of Teachers. In 1982 he served as the first Henry Luce Visiting Scholar in Humanities and Social Thought at Yale University. He also co-instructs Winter Term (January) courses at Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, Florida. From 1997 to 1999, he was Ingeborg Rennert Visiting Professor of Judaic Studies at Barnard College of Columbia University.[22]
Wiesel in 1987.
Wiesel has become a popular speaker on the subject of the Holocaust. As a political activist, he has advocated for many causes, including Israel, the plight of Soviet and Ethiopian Jews, the victims of apartheid in South Africa, Argentina's Desaparecidos, Bosnian victims of genocide in the former Yugoslavia, Nicaragua's Miskito Indians, and the Kurds. Conversely, he withdrew from his role as chair of the International Conference on the Holocaust and Genocide, and made efforts to abort the conference, in deference to Israeli objection to the inclusion of sessions on the Armenian genocide.[23][24]
In 2004, he voiced support for intervention in Darfur, Sudan at the Darfur Emergency Summit convened at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York by the American Jewish World Service and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.[25] He also led a commission organized by the Romanian government to research and write a report, released in 2004, on the true history of the Holocaust in Romania and the involvement of the Romanian wartime regime in atrocities against Jews and other groups, including the Roma. The Romanian government accepted the findings in the report and committed to implementing the commission's recommendations for educating the public on the history of the Holocaust in Romania. The commission, formally called the International Commission for the Study of the Holocaust in Romania, came to be called the Wiesel Commission in honor of his leadership.
Wiesel is the honorary chair of the Habonim Dror Camp Miriam Campership and Building Fund, and a member of the International Council of the New York–based Human Rights Foundation.[citation needed]
On March 27, 2001, Wiesel appeared at the University of Florida for Jewish Awareness Month and was presented with an honorary degree from the University of Florida.[26]
In 2002, he inaugurated the Elie Wiesel Memorial House in Sighet, in his childhood home.[27]

Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 21 2014, 10:28

His Nibs was being honoured tonight:

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 21 2014, 10:57

Dire warnings about Darfur at the UN 2006

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed May 21 2014, 12:42

Ha! That look on his face on the pic where he's posing with the two women is priceless. That's not a smile, it's a grimace. "Oh, shit, I hope I don't get in trouble for this."

This would seem to be something Wifey would want to make time for. There had to be enough lead time to plan it. Uncomfortable venue, maybe...? Pure speculation, of course.

Way2Old4Dis
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy on Wed May 21 2014, 13:40

Way I agree with you! I would have thought wifey-to-be would have jumped at the chance to show solidarity with Georgie. At least it's not a red carpet thing so does this mean even tho AA could have, but thought more of her work instead on honouring hubby-to-be?? Of course pure spec again, but makes you wonder!!!! If this is the way of the future...jump now while you have the chance darling! I'll catch you!

fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 21 2014, 13:45

Well, I'm sure they discussed it and made a decision together...........

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed May 21 2014, 13:54

Of course. It's between them. Just saying that, from an outside perspective, her attending would have made a significant statement.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu on Wed May 21 2014, 14:20

the future Mrs Clooney is working

Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna on Wed May 21 2014, 14:23

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Of course. It's between them. Just saying that, from an outside perspective, her attending would have made a significant statement.

Maybe the wrong  statement of....."He can't go anywhere NOW without Me"
Not a good start IMO.

Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 21 2014, 14:24

I think her presence would have gone a long way towards calming the doubts about her political leanings. Her absence only feeds those doubts. From the coverage she's gotten since she went back to London it doesn't look like she's gone back to work yet, so she probably could have attended this event if she wanted to. I think this was a missed opportunity.

LizzyNY
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Wed May 21 2014, 14:54

lizzy yup.

LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 21 2014, 15:43

Odd. Just read Cindy Adams' column in the NY Post. She talks about attending "Champions of Jewish Values" gala. Mentions Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, Sean Penn, Cory Booker and Chris Christie but NO mention of George and John.

Wondering if this was the same event or if she had some reason for not mentioning them. I couldn't find any other mention of the event in the press here, and don't think there would be two such similar events held at the same time. Odd.

LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Wed May 21 2014, 15:51

"He can't go anywhere NOW without Me"

tempting

but not fair

it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by fava on Wed May 21 2014, 16:23

LizzyNY wrote:Odd. Just read Cindy Adams' column in the NY Post. She talks about attending "Champions of Jewish Values" gala. Mentions Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, Sean Penn, Cory Booker and Chris Christie but NO mention of George and John.

Wondering if this was the same event or if she had some reason for not mentioning them. I couldn't find any other mention of the event in the press here, and don't think there would be two such similar events held at the same time. Odd.

The Champions of Jewish Values Gala was May 18. Different day and different event?

fava
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 21 2014, 16:51

@Fava - I have no idea. Neither one was mentioned in the press here, that I know of - if they were two separate events, seems like the same people were at both . I just find it curious.

LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie on Wed May 21 2014, 16:56

I don't think any one knows whether she has gone back to work we see her out and about for a few minutes.

annemarie
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 21 2014, 16:58

Well, she's leaving her Chambers' offices..........

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 21 2014, 17:00

PAN - leaving as in walking out the door, or leaving as in quitting her job?

LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 21 2014, 17:47

Ha. No, she has no intentions of doing that! She was leaving the office for a business lunch i think - pix show her shaking hands with the guy at the restaurant

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed May 21 2014, 18:04

LizzyNY wrote:Odd. Just read Cindy Adams' column in the NY Post. She talks about attending "Champions of Jewish Values" gala. Mentions Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, Sean Penn, Cory Booker and Chris Christie but NO mention of George and John.

Two very different events, though a lot of the same crowd. The Jewish Values Network has been around awhile, but only had the big gala thing the last couple of years. They promote 'Jewish values' and positive images in the media, or something like that.

The EW Foundation, as everyone knows, is about as full of gravitas and prestige as it gets.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 18:12

Not only the same crowd. John Prendergast is wearing the same tie (yelllow/golden) that's why I thought it was the same event. Funny guy  Razz

Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 18:14

One more pic from frenchies 

Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 18:17

Just found this about his speech

George Clooney Announces Expansion of Satellite Sentinel Project

During a speech yesterday, May 20, at the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity dinner, George Clooney announced a significant expansion of the Satellite Sentinel Project, an initiative he co-founded three years ago. While it will continue to use satellite imagery to monitor and warn against human rights abuses in war-torn Sudan and South Sudan, the Satellite Sentinel Project will expand its focus to undertake forensic investigations to reveal how those committing mass atrocities are funding their activities and where they are hiding their stolen assets.

Satellite Sentinel Project Co-Founder George Clooney said, “We want to follow the money and find out how these atrocities are funded, who enables them, and what the smart tools are to counter these activities more effectively. Genocide and other human rights crimes are never just spontaneous events. They require planning, they require financing, and they require international indifference to succeed.  Where is the money coming from and where is it being hidden? To the extent we can, we want to make it more difficult for those willing to kill en masse to secure their political and economic objectives, and we want to move the needle away from indifference and inaction.”

Satellite Sentinel Project Co-Founder John Prendergast said, “We’ll investigate exactly how the illegal exploitation of resources like diamonds, gold and ivory help finance the activities of some of the world’s worst abusers of human rights. And we’ll focus on imposing a cost on those that contribute to or facilitate the perpetration of these human rights crimes. The objective is a comprehensive approach to countering atrocities that involves satellite imagery, forensic investigations, on-the-ground research, and deeper investment in impacting the calculations of policy makers and commercial actors who might possess the leverage to help stop these human rights crimes.”

The Satellite Sentinel Project is a partnership between the Enough Project and Not On Our Watch. Satellite imagery and analysis is provided by DigitalGlobe. The geographic area of focus will encompass Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Central African Republic, and the surrounding region. 

For more information on the Satellite Sentinel Project, please visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. For interviews with John Prendergast, Satellite Sentinel Project Co-Founder, please contact Christina DiPasquale at 202.716.1953 or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 21 2014, 18:26

Thank you, Nicki

What a brilliant piece of news! I wish it had got more coverage........I guess it will take more TV and news interviews from both to get this out there...........

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen on Wed May 21 2014, 19:04

I agree, this may have been a missed opportunity on Amal's part to throw her support behind George.  However, the engagement announcement is still fresh, wedding date rumors are flying and for the 2 of them to arrive as a couple may have taken the focus away from the real purpose of the occasion and made it the George and Amal show.

PigPen
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by tvfan on Wed May 21 2014, 19:18

GC speaks about his engagement:

George Clooney joked about his engagement to London lawyer Amal Alamuddin last night during a dinner for the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity, which presented him with the Arts for Humanity Award.

I find we all have something very much in common, besides the fact we’re in shock that I’m getting married,” the 53-year-old bachelor told guests. “We’re all doing best we can to try to stop violence, and our efforts often come up short.”

tvfan
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 21 2014, 19:23

I tend to agree with you PigPen - honestly hadn't thought about the engagement coverage in connection with this (DUH!) - But considering the amount of coverage this event got, it probably wouldn't have mattered if she was there or not.

Funny! He's in shock that he's getting married? Wonder how he'll feel when the novelty wears off and reality sets in? Laughing 

LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Wed May 21 2014, 19:33

Actually, as his first reference to his engagement, that's brilliant timing.

Just that remark should get a lot more coverage, but he's managed to attach it to the other big story which would get column inches too. Clever boy!

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed May 21 2014, 19:34

The EWF hosts, sponsors, benefits, and showcases some of the most dedicated and renowned scholars in the world. Amal Alamuddin wouldn't make a dent in that place. Sure, there would have been a few more pictures and well-wishes, but nobody would have been fazed by them being there together. That's like saying she could steal the show in a room full of black people at a Nelson Mandela tribute. Ain't happening'.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Wed May 21 2014, 19:44

PAN - Unfortunately neither the event nor his comments have gotten much coverage. Maybe it's too soon?

Don't know whether her appearance would have been a distraction or not, but I still wish she had been there for him. It was a prestigious event for him and would have improved her image, too, IMO.

LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen on Wed May 21 2014, 19:48

LizzyNY, maybe we're seeing some of the reality now, in his recent photos.  I haven't figured out how to transfer multiple quotes, so I will have to do this manually.

On May 12 Katiedot wrote regarding the engagement party "Do you think he could look any more miserable"

On May 18 Way 2 Old 4 Dis wrote regarding the Omega event " he looks good, but his body language (hands) is demonstrating some (subconscious) inner anxiety" and on this thread "that's not a smile, it's a grimace".

Okay, so not every photo is going to be a winner.  But his body language does not reflect general joy and happiness.  Amal, on the other hand, looks relaxed and happy, as she should.  This is a wonderful time in her life.

He may be tired from all the hoopla, has a lot on his mind, etc.  But it's leaving me a bit uncomfortable.  Anyone else picking up on this? scratch

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed May 21 2014, 20:07

Yes, she should have been there, for several reasons.

That's the last I'll say about it, though. I've stopped posting in 'her' threads, and I'll be damned if I'll turn his into more discussions about her.

This is great for George. The recognition by this respected foundation is a lot to be proud of.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed May 21 2014, 20:19

Agree Way...lets talk about George only  Very Happy  

Lot's of bow tie pictures lately  Love4 Love to see him dressed like James Bond hehehe

Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen on Wed May 21 2014, 20:25

You are absolutely right.  My bad  Computer says no

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed May 21 2014, 20:30

I generally like tux-and-tie better, but the bow works too. I like a little scruff mixed with the elegance; he's too clean cut these days. A little more curl in his hair and a three-day growth of beard would be hot as hell.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna on Wed May 21 2014, 21:02

Nice One George ! 
 Coolio

Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Thu May 22 2014, 00:36

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Yes, she should have been there, for several reasons.

That's the last I'll say about it, though. I've stopped posting in 'her' threads, and I'll be damned if I'll turn his into more discussions about her.

This is great for George. The recognition by this respected foundation is a lot to be proud of.

It would have been HUGE given her background an olive branch in a sense, if you will. She missed an opportunity.

Sorry didn't mean to continue this but it's the point I've been subtly and maybe not so subtly trying to make.

LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Thu May 22 2014, 00:51

While I don't think her attendance specifically would have impressed the people in that room, it would have been their first public appearance as an engaged couple (really as a couple at all). I think the fear might have been turning it into an entertainment-media circus, with all the insipid Access Entertainment Hollywood Tonight people turning out to ask questions about wedding venues and dresses, rather than keeping the attention on his work and the work of the other honorees.

Unless I've missed something, the only information we have about her "background" relevant to this comes from that insane piece of character assassination on her family from a person who met distant relatives once twenty years ago, so maybe neither of them believes she needs to offer an olive branch?

Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Thu May 22 2014, 00:51

Way2Old4Dis wrote:I generally like tux-and-tie better, but the bow works too. I like a little scruff mixed with the elegance; he's too clean cut these days. A little more curl in his hair and a three-day growth of beard would be hot as hell.

Definitely, bring it on, slightly roughed up George Clooney is just as good as the manicured one

theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Thu May 22 2014, 00:57

theminis wrote:
Way2Old4Dis wrote:I generally like tux-and-tie better, but the bow works too. I like a little scruff mixed with the elegance; he's too clean cut these days. A little more curl in his hair and a three-day growth of beard would be hot as hell.

Definitely, bring it on, slightly roughed up George Clooney is just as good as the manicured one

YES. Seriously, Perfect-Storm-scruffy-flannel-and work-boot-wearing George is my favorite.

Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Thu May 22 2014, 00:58

@Lorna - We have the same concerns. Maybe SHE was making a statement of her own - that this was an event she didn't want to attend. I don't know, and I don't want to make assumptions about someone I don't know, but I would have felt better if she had been there - if only to keep him company.

@Missa - This event has recieved almost no publicity here. I doubt very much that the entertainment media would have descended on them. It was a much too serious event to get their attention. And if they think she doesn't need to clarify her politics, IMO they're mistaken.

LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Thu May 22 2014, 01:12

LizzyNY wrote:@Lorna - We have the same concerns. Maybe SHE was making a statement of her own - that this was an event she didn't want to attend. I don't know, and I don't want to make assumptions about someone I don't know, but I would have felt better if she had been there - if only to keep him company.

@Missa - This event has recieved almost no publicity here. I doubt very much that the entertainment media would have descended on them. It was a much too serious event to get their attention. And if they think she doesn't need to clarify her politics, IMO they're mistaken.

That was sort of my point, that this was a serious event that has received the amount of publicity typical of such an event, which I do not think would have been the case had they attended together. I don't think it's fair to assume that she didn't go deliberately; she hasn't been to any of his events since she returned to London. I wouldn't say she skipped the Omega charity event because she doesn't like blind kids. That's one of the things I (and possibly George?) like about her: she doesn't drop her entire life to make it revolve around his.

I'll be honest, I read this forum fairly frequently, and I couldn't tell you her politics. There's certainly been no mention of it in any of the press coverage about them, not even a hint that anything is amiss. I'm guessing the implication is that she's pro-Palestine, but I don't know if that's because of her Arabic background or if we actually have evidence of that. In either case, I honestly don't know how many people who don't visit this forum regularly and/or appear on Fox News care about some movie star's fiancee's possible political beliefs.

Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LJN2606 on Thu May 22 2014, 01:16

PigPen wrote:LizzyNY, maybe we're seeing some of the reality now, in his recent photos.  I haven't figured out how to transfer multiple quotes, so I will have to do this manually.

On May 12 Katiedot wrote regarding the engagement party "Do you think he could look any more miserable"

On May 18 Way 2 Old 4 Dis wrote regarding the Omega event " he looks good, but his body language (hands) is demonstrating some (subconscious) inner anxiety" and on this thread "that's not a smile, it's a grimace".

Okay, so not every photo is going to be a winner.  But his body language does not reflect general joy and happiness.  Amal, on the other hand, looks relaxed and happy, as she should.  This is a wonderful time in her life.

He may be tired from all the hoopla, has a lot on his mind, etc.  But it's leaving me a bit uncomfortable.  Anyone else picking up on this? scratch

Well put PigPen I thought I was the only one noticing this. I think (IMO) reality is setting in with our George.

LJN2606
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:24

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum