George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic

5 posters

Go down

Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic Empty Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic

Post by Lighterside Thu 17 Apr 2014, 12:45

By Tom Miles

HuffPost

GENEVA, April 16 (Reuters) - Inter-communal violence is tearing Central African Republic apart but the conflict is not getting the attention, or aid, needed to save huge numbers of lives, the head of the U.N. refugee agency (UNHCR) said on Wednesday.

Almost 200,000 people have fled the country since December, and a further 160,000 are expected to this year. The UNHCR says it is spending cash there three times as fast as new funds are coming in, putting its mission in jeopardy.

"Indeed, we are in trouble," UNHCR chief Antonio Guterres told diplomats as he launched a $274 million appeal.

Central African Republic is only one crisis among many demanding U.N. funds stretched by humanitarian needs in South Sudan, Somalia and Yemen, as well as natural disasters such as Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, and above all, Syria.

"Obviously there's no way we'll to be able to sustain this until the end of the year," Guterres told the diplomats. "At a certain moment we will be simply broke."

Central African Republic's government fell a year ago to Muslim Seleka rebels who were routed in December by Christian militia forces, unleashing anarchy and ethnic cleansing.

"When you start cutting people into pieces and roasting them," Guterres told reporters, "It's not an army against an army - it's people doing horrible things to their neighbors."

But the crisis has no major economic or strategic repercussions beyond the country's immediate neighbors, he said, so it gets little attention from the outside world.

"People do not feel threatened. People feel threatened with Syria, people feel threatened with Ukraine and what might happen. Even Somalia. But in relation to the Central African Republic people don't feel threatened, don't know where it is, it's very difficult, they've never heard about it."

"HEART-WRENCHING"

Diplomats at the meeting were effusive in their support but only Japan's ambassador pledged actual financial aid, and even he admitted to being not well informed on the subject.

"What I heard today is much more dramatic than I had imagined before I came to this chamber," Ambassador Takashi Okada said.

The U.N. appeal included a gallery of photographs of wounded and malnourished refugees arriving in Cameroon, but the official chairing the meeting said they were too "heart-wrenching" to inflict on the diplomats, who were invited to stay behind afterwards if they wanted to view them. About half left.

Although the U.N. Security Council last week authorized the creation of a nearly 12,000-strong U.N. peacekeeping force, it is not due to be in place until mid-September.

William Lacy Swing, head of the International Organization for Migration and a former U.S. ambassador to Central African Republic, said the country could not wait, and the current French and African Union forces were not big enough.

"The number 1 priority is to stop the fighting. You will not arrive at that without the (U.N.) blue helmets," said Swing. "Unfortunately September's a long time away. A lot of people are going to die before that force can be assembled and deployed."

The first priority had to be to secure the capital Bangui, creating "zones of peace" to bring people out of 70 or more "spontaneous settlements around town where people are hunkered down hoping to avoid being killed", he said. (Editing by Stephanie Nebehay and Robin Pomeroy)
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic Empty Re: Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic

Post by Mazy Thu 17 Apr 2014, 16:48

How horrible is all I can say so many long term suffers like this and Darfur and others are being pushed aside because of all the new crisis areas that are erupting. Dear Lord help all our leaders to make more of a sacrifice so we can help more.

That is all I can see is those that can (not just money) help more, we cannot allow all this to continue.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic Empty Re: Broke UN Agency Warns Of Catastrophic Situation In Central African Republic

Post by Nicky80 Thu 17 Apr 2014, 16:57

I was thinking the same thing Mazy. Not only getting pushed aside because of all the new crises...also because all those new crises those countries are more important due to they economy etc...I understand why they do that but then again it means free killing for those bad guys in those not important countries. As the article said it...they are not scared.....Our society is bad.

And you know the part you highlighted ligherside....It always makes me think...Killing is done everywhere in the world but Africa is known for they most brutal and disgusting killings like cutting people in peaces like in Ruanda. Why is this country so brutal while murdering....
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 17 Apr 2014, 19:31

@Mazy nd Nicky80 - Murder is murder. Whether it's a gun, a bomb or a machete the dead person is just as dead, and the injured are in just as much pain. That so much of our world sees this violence as a way to settle disputes makes me despair. It seems like the whole world is going to hell, and it won't stop because too many people don't want it to.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 17 Apr 2014, 19:47

Yes sometimes it maybe seems like that the world is going to hell and that too many people want it to. But it just "seems" like....we have to make sure we don't believe it only then we can believe in changing things.....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 17 Apr 2014, 20:29

@ Nicky80 - Would like to think you are right that it only "seems like", but how do you get inside these people's heads to make them see there is a better way? The kinds of options our governmnts are exploring (military, economic) seem to me to just make things worse.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 17 Apr 2014, 20:50

I know what you mean Lizzy....

Sometimes people are too busy trying to get in other peoples heads and convincing people what they find is right. Sometimes this is not the way. You only need to convince yourself and if you believe the right way your body language will show and people will follow .....That's why majority of people in this world are good and peaceful people, only the bad once are the loudest once but not the majority.

A situation is never hopeless only the human makes it hopeless by saying and/or believing it. 

But I know it is frustrating watching it in the news all the time
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 17 Apr 2014, 22:58

At times it really makes me feel like we have not progressed much from the dark ages. We seem to be repeating it over and over with different countries. It makes one feel useless because what can one everyday citizen who cares do?

How else, can any one of us on here help? Some kinda of endeavor that would help. As usual the countries without nuclear weapons like in Africa get the biggest added hardship. I guess I am getting repeative sorry.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Fri 18 Apr 2014, 02:30

@Mazy.... Hope, is all anyone can do...x
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 18 Apr 2014, 02:39

@Mazy - There must be something ordinary people can do. I don't know what it is, but maybe if we put our heads together we can come up wwith an idea or two.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 18 Apr 2014, 12:22

This is what happens when you leave too much of the world underdeveloped and oppressed by dictators who pillage the resources for their own gain.  The people will find ways to eat and make money and usually, not in very good ways.  It's abject poverty and starvation that drives these people.  Give them clean homes to live in, job training,  educate their young, give them a way to build a better future to "buy into" and they will lead the same productive lives we do.  

They're not animals, just desperate and misguided and forgotten about by the rest of the industrialized world. Remember, there but for the grace of God, go I!
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 18 Apr 2014, 15:09

@ Lighterside - The problem is, how do you develop the kind of stable society these people need while they are being bombed and murdered? They build homes only to have them destroyed. Their children are killed for going to school. They are forced off their land, so cannot make a living. Their medical facilities are pillaged and destroyed. Outside aid workers are threatened, or worse.

How do they create a functional society in the midst of all this? And how do you get the aggressors to stop fighting and find peaceful solutions?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 18 Apr 2014, 18:59

The problem begins with the despots who control the resources and the military and are using both for their own personal profit.  Most of the pillaging is done at their behest.  They create an unstable environment to control the masses and keep them living in fear with raids on villages, etc. all the while bleeding the resources of their countries and lining their pockets with the profits that would otherwise be used for the common good.  And you are also dealing with blood feuds among different sects/groups/religions, that are in some cases thousands of years old.

When good people stand around and do nothing, this is the end result.  It will take the will of the industrialized nations to help put into place the necessary infrastructure to sustain a real functioning government in these hot spots or nothing will change, it will continue to deteriorate if they're left to their own devices.  The killings only get worse and more outrageous as time goes on and will continue that way, until someone with real strength/power stands up for the masses that are being slaughtered, who have no voice or means by which to organize and defend themselves in these underdeveloped countries.

Charitable organizations can only do so much and it becomes too dangerous for these volunteers to try to help by working among the people or even to supply much needed food and medications, so it becomes necessary for other world nations to take responsibility but that has another set of problems all it's own and again ties back to the resources within the nation and whom is benefiting by being able to purchase those resources cheaply, so they use their veto power to stop any interference by the world.  In most cases, follow the money and you'll see where to begin to unravel the problems.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 18 Apr 2014, 19:15

I agree with that Lighterside. Follow the money .....

Lizzy, with regards to your question. That's what I tried to explain above. Sometimes it is not about to convince other people in other countries where the war happens. As Lighterside mentioned it. It all starts with the industrialized world. 

We have to start with us. Do you like going to the supermarket and buy very cheap coffee, chocolate etc....everything what we buy for cheap makes poor people in other countries even more poor that's why those killings/wars happen because they have nothing in order for us to have everything. 
Do you like the lifestyle the West gives you? Well.....if you want peace everywhere that means the develop countries need to earn more money. that means everything around you will be more expensive. Your lifestyle will go down. Not everybody wants that. that's why you got so mane different lobbies like the food lobby....

Today everything has to be cheap and it will effect others.

Look at the US how rich it is. And Mexico is your neighbor. Big Mafia problems over there lot of killings. Look how poor.....How many Americans question that (of course some Americans do) as long they got the cheap gardeners, nannies and dishwaschers from over there. When you get in a restaurant in the US you can be sure that most likely the dishwascher is Mexican as the pay is so bad no American would do that. Imagine the US would help Mexico to develop. Who would do all the crappy jobs in the US? So you do profit on that too. Same in Europe...everywhere. 

The problem is much bigger then to think how to convince other people in other countries to be peaceful. It is us and our lifestyle who pushes those countries to be this way.

If you want other countries to develop I believe the West has to learn first to disclaim something from they lifestyle in order to give that to the countries which need to be develop. You can't have everything. Now the big question...What can you disclaim???? We never ask that question as we always ask for more....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 19 Apr 2014, 02:11

I agree with each one of you on many points.

However, something more should have been done in Africa way back when Bush was in office. But he was too busy getting our young/Iraqi young killed and injured. Not to mention what it did to both of our economies.    Meanwhile our 1% got richer.  I know you think Americans are all rich Nicky, but trust me we aren't.  1% or maybe 2% of the population are rich next is working class down to poor. We have many homeless people, some with children and some that work or get social security.  Just because they have an income doesn't mean they can afford to live somewhere.  We are trying to get the GOP that cater to the rich and anti women, blacks and gays or anyone they see fit to hate, out.

I still believe there has to be more that we can do to help more than we do. I believe, "We are our brothers and sisters keeper." There are a lot smarter people in government that could figure out how to eliminate the waste and theft in budgets so more could be accomplished.

What financial help that was given; much went to line other's pockets. Also you cannot just trow money at a problem without being sure it is going to land where it can do the most good. We all know "Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him..."

I also think educating citizens in the different stable countries would be a good idea.  I had to get interested in George Clooney to learn about this stuff.  I have learned soo much because of him that I should be ashamed of myself.  Yes, it was around but more like a quiet whisper now and then.

Thank God for twitter things get around better now. But I would hope schools and churches would help with organizing events that would help raise monies.  Well I do live in the Carolina woods so I don't see too much.

But Nicky I would support even a tax on my computer use to help believe me I am no where's near the 1%, maybe the bottom of the 97%. ha ha
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 10:29

Funny Mazy...maybe one day you reach up to the 1% HAHAHA. Thanks for sharing.

Mazy wote:
"Also you cannot just trow money at a problem without being sure it is going to land where it can do the most good."

So true.....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 19 Apr 2014, 14:34

@Nicky80 - I agree with Mazy. I think many people around the world have a false impression of America. You only see the rich and famous who are covered constantly by the media. Most people here are just getting by. Wages may seem high to you, but expenses are high, too. Raising a family is a financial struggle for many - so when you say we should pay more for things we buy so that others can benefit, you don't realise that many people can't afford to do that. If they have to pay more for things, they won't be able to afford them at all.

The US has trade agreements with its neighbors to the north and south of us. We do want them to have strong economies, as this benefits all of us. We are not, however, in charge of them. We cannot tell them what to do, and we cannot finance their economies. We can barely support our own! Each country has to do what is best for its own citizens. It is arrogant to think that there are not people in every nation who are intelligent enough to advise and to lead. There are many reasons why countries don't do better for their citizens. I only know that the US cannot save the world.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 18:03

Lizzy,of course the US can not save the world and it is not the purpose of the US. As a matter of fact the US did go more the other direction if you remember Bush...but that is a different subject...
But as you and Mazy said already some in the US can not survive with they regular income that's why powerful countries like the US and Europe will always take advantage of 3rd world countries to make the life for us people easier as you can not afford better/different.

And by the way when I mentioned the US is rich I meant when you compare it to the 3rd world countries. Of course in the Us you have poor people the same in Europe. But compare to some countries in Africa we are all rich even the homeless people as they can still find food in trash bins and beg for money. I know it sounds bad but I think everyone would rather live as a homeless person in the US or Europe than in Africa. So compare to Africa you need to agree that the US and Europe are rich.

And it is not about paying more but as you wrote already in your post above there are always "excuses" why things are not possible. That's why the world will never change and we have to accept it and try to help where we can and look at ourselves that's all we can do.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 19 Apr 2014, 19:09

Nicky I know that you were not being insulting to us, trust me. I was merely trying to explain like all other countries the aveage person has financial problems, many.

And by the way when I mentioned the US is rich I meant when you compare it to the 3rd world countries. Of course in the Us you have poor people the same in Europe. But compare to some countries in Africa we are all rich even the homeless people as they can still find food in trash bins and beg for money. I know it sounds bad but I think everyone would rather live as a homeless person in the US or Europe than in Africa. So compare to Africa you need to agree that the US and Europe are rich.

And it is not about paying more but as you wrote already in your post above there are always "excuses" why things are not possible. That's why the world will never change and we have to accept it and try to help where we can and look at ourselves that's all we can do.

Much of what you say is right, what I am saying that I as an individual would be willing to give something extra a month to help and if all people did the same maybe something good could happen. It would also build a world of people that for the most part are more caring of their neighbors.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 19:39

Yes agree...that would be for sure a better world  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 19 Apr 2014, 19:45

Nicky - I agree with most of what you said. Yes, the US and Europe are "richer" than Africa, if by richer you mean more industrialized. That causes us to be consumer societies.

To create the consumer goods we need , we have to go outside our borders. So we go to the less "developed" nations and purchase what we need. This creates employment in those countries and brings them into the international economy.

If the people running those countries don't see fit to share the money with their citizens, the shame and blame falls on them. Is there anything we can do to change things? Maybe, but it has to be on a governmental level, through trade agreements and diplomatic channels.IMO, all we can do is raise our voices and pressure our representatives to do the right thing.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 19:59

Yeah agree part of it. But you wrote above:

If the people running those countries don't see fit to share the money with their citizens, the shame and blame falls on them. 

Yes true agree with that. But this is not the only reason. Do you really think the Industrial Countries go to the develop countries and paying a fair price? No...not always....That's why fair trade was created which you can buy in organic shops in order for farmers who grow coffee and chocolate get better paid.

What I try to say is...it is NOT only those develop countries with those leaders where the problem happens....It happens with us too. As Lighterside mentioned already above..."follow the money"...It is kind of naive (don't mean this personal or negative) to think the responsibility is only to the leaders in the develop countries. And if you think about in some develop countries the US helped some leaders to stay on power regardless if they were bad for the people but because they were good for the US business (we Europeans are not better)..... We are all involved in that problem not only the develop countries.... It is a chain reaction....

But I guess we all have different knowledge and believes that why everyone has different opinions......
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 19 Apr 2014, 20:06

Nicky - I am agreeing with you! All I meant was that as individual citizens there is little direct action we can take. The best thing we can do, I think, is to pressure our governments to make the situation more fair, through legislation and diplomacy.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 20:11

Yes true Lizzy.....and buy more fair trade products  Razz .....We all should go into politics. We are good in expressing our points as we could see in this thread.....I think we would have a high career  Very Happy  But I probably would get a nerve breakdown after a while   Shocked  politics is so complicated.....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 19 Apr 2014, 20:45

Nicky - No politics for me! I worked on some political campaigns when I was younger (and much more idealistic) and I learned my lesson. Politics is a dirty business. If you've ever seen the tv show "Scandal" you'll know what I mean - the murder part isn't true, but the corruption is.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 19 Apr 2014, 22:54

Nicky80 wrote:Yeah agree part of it. But you wrote above:

[Yes true agree with that. But this is not the only reason. Do you really think the Industrial Countries go to the develop countries and paying a fair price? No...not always....That's why fair trade was created which you can buy in organic shops in order for farmers who grow coffee and chocolate get better paid.

We could all stop using certain products. I know I will never wear another diamond, "blood diamonds". I will never use a Tetley tea product and I'm a tea drinker. Their growers enslave their workers and hold them prisoners. I am sure some of the other brands do the same/similar as I find out I will add to list. But these are two that I read stories about and they got to me.

I'm realistic not mush good but I try in my own way.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 23:00

Thumbs up! 

Thanks Mazy, that's what I meant when I said we have to start with ourselves. Best way to do it.... Give Flowers
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down