Log in

I forgot my password

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Alamuddin and her work

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Missa on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 17:25

And since Palestine is technically not a country, can they by definition commit war crimes? Just like they couldn't necessarily declare war on another country? I really don'tknow, wondering how it works.
avatar
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1830
Join date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 18:00

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Somebody help me out here.

Is the UN commission to solely investigate possible war crimes by Israel in Gaza, or is it for any war crimes by either side in the conflict?

The UN wants to investigate Violations of international humanitarian law and human rights in the course of military operations in the Gaza Strip. Only in the Gaza Strip. That's probably because in Gaza around 2000 civilians died in Israel I think it was 3 (with the soldiers who walked into the Gaza over 70 dead on Israel side). Also Israel bombed twice an UN school where civilians were hiding. I think this has to be investigated too.


LizzyNY wrote:Way2Old - I think it was supposed to investigate both sides, but the perception is that they were already biased against Israel.

This investigation is not both sides. The investigation is about Israels military operation against the civilians in the Gaza strip. The UN has announced that very clear and I think Israel expected that to come after bombing twice a UN school in Gaza.....and about over 2000 dead civilians. 
Just because the UN investigates Israels military operation it doesn't mean their are biased against Israel. If it would be the other way around it would have been investigated too.

Missa wrote:And since Palestine is technically not a country, can they by definition commit war crimes? Just like they couldn't necessarily declare war on another country? I really don'tknow, wondering how it works.

In November 2012 the UN gave Palestine non-member state observer status, Palestine is not yet eligible to join the United Nations as an independent country. Similarly, Switzerland, was a non-member observer state for more than 50 years (until 2002). 
As of 27 September 2013, 134 (69.4%) of the 193 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of the United Nations have [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Missa on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 18:06

Thanks Nicky, I knew they had non-member status, but I didn't realize how many member states recognized them, that's great. Interesting fact about Switzerland too.

You're absolutely right about the investigation being due to the repeated bombings of U.N. sites in Gaza, specifically schools they had notified Israel were being used as refugee camps for civilians.
avatar
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1830
Join date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 18:14

Thanks, Nicky.

So, for clarification -- and don't anyone interpret this as bias, 'cause I'd like to bitchslap some sense into both sides -- it's a war crime to bomb a civilian target such ad a school, but not a crime to use it as cover for fighters when history has shown it will probably get hit...?

For one comparative instance.

Way2Old4Dis
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Posts : 2281
Join date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Missa on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 18:19

My guess would be no, because hiding wherever you want to hide, even if it's endangering civilians, isn't a violation of international law. It seems the burden lies with the country doing the attacking. Possibly to prevent one side from claiming there were fighters hiding in the civilian areas to excuse their bombing of it, for example.
avatar
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Posts : 1830
Join date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 18:25

But UN sites are supposed to be honored as neutral, non-combat zone. I'm wondering why it isn't a violation to put soldiers or fighters on a UN site.

Way2Old4Dis
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Posts : 2281
Join date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 18:28

Ok so if we take that UN school bombing as an example...Israel said their bombed the school as fighters were hiding there. But the UN employees who were there claimed this was not true and only civilians were there. 

So was this just an excuse from Israel to bomb? In case Israel was wrong what was the evidence that proceed to that bombing.....In case if Israel was right. How did the fighter end up in that school? Why was it not reported to the UN before Israel bombed that school? This has to be investigated too. 

So they have to investigate if the killing was justified like Israel claims or not.
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 18:35

In my opinion...I don't think the fighters were hiding there....I think the UN employees would have reported that to the UN if fighters would have taken over the UN school and the press would have reported that too.......And if men with no guns were in that school how does somebody know who a fighter is and who not. One British Employee from that UN school gave an interview on TV after that bombing and he was very upset with Israel and accused them of lying as there were no fighters just dead civilians now. And he had no words for it why it happened.
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by LornaDoone on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 19:09

Could have also been bad intelligence information.

avatar
LornaDoone
Moderator

Posts : 6694
Join date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by LizzyNY on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 21:32

Just a reminder: Hamas has been lobbing bombs indiscriminately into Israel. They don't warn the Israelis to get out of the way, as Israel does in Gaza. They tell their people to stay and die. They don't respect the cease fire, as Israel did until Hamas resumed bombing. The only reason there aren't as many dead Israelis as Palestinians is because of Israel's Iron Dome defenses. 

There could be many reasons why Israel's bombs fell on civilian targets. In reality, bombing targets is nowhere as precise as we see it in the movies. The civilian death toll is tragic and hard to defend, but IMO the blame lies on both sides and both sides should be investigated equally and impartially.
avatar
LizzyNY
On an all-time Clooney high!

Posts : 4655
Join date : 2013-08-28
Location : NY, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 21:40

LizzyNY wrote:Just a reminder: Hamas has been lobbing bombs indiscriminately into Israel. They don't warn the Israelis to get out of the way, as Israel does in Gaza. They tell their people to stay and die. They don't respect the cease fire, as Israel did until Hamas resumed bombing. The only reason there aren't as many dead Israelis as Palestinians is because of Israel's Iron Dome defenses. 

There could be many reasons why Israel's bombs fell on civilian targets. In reality, bombing targets is nowhere as precise as we see it in the movies. The civilian death toll is tragic and hard to defend, but IMO the blame lies on both sides and both sides should be investigated equally and impartially.

Sorry but you are wrong. that's not the only reason as you claim. Israel has a much better military as the Hamas as well. The Hamas is not able to bomb Israel the way Israel did with Gaza. Otherwise we would have seen worst. 

Yes blame lies on both sides. But this is not the matter for the UN committee....It has to investigate why so many civilian died in this war and not the war in general between Israel and Gaza...that is another level.
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 21:44

I think Amal did the right thing not to get involved with the committee.  This is a really bad subject to discuss and can only bring hate and disarrangement's who gets involved in those discussions. She has now too much attention with being the fiancee of George.....This would have been an ongoing discussion about her being Anti Israel/ Pro Palestine. I'm glad she chose the smart way... Thumbs up!
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by LizzyNY on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 21:55

Nicky - Why is this not a matter for the UN? If not them, then who? Isn't this kind of thing the reason the UN was established in the first place?

To address your point directly, we already know why so many civilians died in Gaza. They don't need a commission for that. Just follow the media and use common sense.

Ps - Can't we please move this to the proper thread. I know it doesn't belong here.
avatar
LizzyNY
On an all-time Clooney high!

Posts : 4655
Join date : 2013-08-28
Location : NY, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:01

Sorry Lizzy but please don't switch my words around ok. I didn't say it is no matter for the UN what happens between Israel and Gaza. I said it doesn't matter for the UN COMMITTEE.
What we talk about in this thread is about the committee Amal as been asked to join. And this committee has been asked only to investigate if any human rights laws were broken.

And just to be fair Lizzy...just to follow the media and common sense does not give you the truth about war. And investigation is always helpful to find out the truth. Really sad that you think this is not needed.
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:07

LizzyNY wrote:
Ps - Can't we please move this to the proper thread. I know it doesn't belong here.

That's what I mean, we talk about the UN Committee which belongs to this thread as Amal has been asked to join but you talk about Israel/Gaza conflict in general which is not the subject for the Committee Amal was asked to join.....Just to be clear...we do not talk about the conflict in general. We only discuss the UN committee. And I don't think none of us want to discuss if this is wrong or right. It is happening anyway. And Amal said no to it.
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by What Would He Say on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:12

Nicky80 wrote:In my opinion...I don't think the fighters were hiding there....I think the UN employees would have reported that to the UN if fighters would have taken over the UN school and the press would have reported that too.......And if men with no guns were in that school how does somebody know who a fighter is and who not. One British Employee from that UN school gave an interview on TV after that bombing and he was very upset with Israel and accused them of lying as there were no fighters just dead civilians now. And he had no words for it why it happened.


Nicky is this it .... utter heartbreak....I was in contact with Chris, that was supposed to be the end of the interview. He thought he had held it together.

The East is on fire....


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


avatar
What Would He Say
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2181
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by LizzyNY on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:17

Nicky - Apologies that I misunderstood your point about the commission. But you misunderstood me as well. I think an investigation is most certainly called for, but it should be an investigation into the actions of both sides and completely impartial.

Again, please move this discussion to the proper thread.
avatar
LizzyNY
On an all-time Clooney high!

Posts : 4655
Join date : 2013-08-28
Location : NY, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Way2Old4Dis on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:22

This brings me back to my original point. I have to be brief, because my Kindle sucks at staying connected.

It seems to me (still using the school example) that it can be stipulated that Israel bombed a UN site. Now, the question is, is that a war crime in itself, or are there "justifications" for an act like that? I would think not; otherwise there would never be a safe haven for aid workers.

BUT

If I am working at a UN site, then I am obligated to know every person who comes and goes there, and every package that makes it through the doors, etc, and be able to document it. No one can just say, "There were no soldiers here" and expect to be believed just because they work for the UN.

AND

If I am an intelligence worker, then I am held accountable for the information that is passed on when military decisions are made. I can't just say "We knew Hamas was there" and expect that to fly.

SO

An investigation can't assume any facts on either side. Both factions must be reviewed objectively. No assumption of right, no assumption of wrong. An impartial and full investigation. Full. Both sides. That's the only credible way to handle it.

Way2Old4Dis
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Posts : 2281
Join date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by What Would He Say on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:28

LizzyNY wrote:Nicky - Apologies that I misunderstood your point about the commission. But you misunderstood me as well. I think an investigation is most certainly called for, but it should be an investigation into the actions of both sides and completely impartial.

Again, please move this discussion to the proper thread.



Lizzy exactly both sides......in fact the only people without "blood on their hands" are the children and a very large majority  of the women. 

U.N are kinda impotent in this matter. Twas ever thus.
avatar
What Would He Say
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2181
Join date : 2013-05-15
Location : OneDAyComo

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:28

Here is a video in the link. You can see there that Israel announced an investigation as well and described what they meant by fighters were in the school. Hope that will help you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:41

Way2Old4Dis wrote:
An investigation can't assume any facts on either side. Both factions must be reviewed objectively. No assumption of right, no assumption of wrong. An impartial and full investigation. Full. Both sides. That's the only credible way to handle it.

Yes in this case both sides will be investigated. This is normal for an investigation....What I meant is that the UN committee will only investigate the death civilians in Gaza through Israel military action but of course investigate both parties. But they will not investigate the 3 death civilians on the Israel side. If you know what I mean....The committee concentrates on the Gaza killing but investigate both sides of course...
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Katiedot on Thu 14 Aug 2014, 12:53

OK, this thread is going off topic. This thread is meant to be about Amal's appointment to the commission (which, in case we've forgotten, she turned down).

There are already at least two threads on Gaza/Israel on this forum already so no need to start another one. Thanks.

If you want to reply to posts above, use the 'quote' button, then copy it, go to the right thread, paste and respond there. Use the 'multi quote' button if you want to respond to more than one person's post.
avatar
Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 13224
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by party animal - not! on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 01:23

ICC under pressure not to investigate possible war crimes in Gaza........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


More complicated than first thought...sounds as if the ICC would have difficulties starting a case on the basis that Palestine is not a state

party animal - not!
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8795
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Jenn on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 05:06

[ltr]The Anatomy of an Unfair Trial : by Amal Alamuddin[/ltr]


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



[ltr]The Anatomy of an Unfair Trial[/ltr]


[ltr]Sentencing a political opponent to death after a show trial is no different to taking him out on the street and shooting him. In fact, it is worse because using the court system as a tool of state repression makes a mockery of the rule of law. Egypt's constitution guarantees the right to be presumed innocent. And yet in a recent case, an Egyptian judge -- after a "trial" lasting 100 minutes -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to death. Egypt's constitution also guarantees freedom of speech, yet many journalists languish behind bars.[/ltr]




[ltr]Three journalists working for the Al Jazeera English news network -- Canadian Mohamed Fahmy, Australian Peter Greste and Egyptian Baher Mohamed -- are among them. Mr. Fahmy used to work for CNN and the New York Times. Mr. Greste worked for the BBC and had only been in Egypt for a few days before his arrest. I am Mr. Fahmy's lawyer and have had contact with him in Egypt. I have studied the case file, read the reports of trial observers who were at each court session, and read the judgment that sentences the journalists to lengthy prison terms of seven years or more. It is clear beyond doubt that their trial was unfair, and their conviction a travesty of justice.[/ltr]




[ltr]What does the Egyptian state, through its prosecutors and judges, charge? That these three men promoted and gave material support to the Muslim Brotherhood group that they are members of; and that they produced false news that harms Egypt's reputation and its national security. The judgment convicts them on all counts and finds that "through their actions, [they] had compiled audiovisual film material and falsified untrue events to be broadcast by a satellite channel in order to stir conflict within the Egyptian State." More specifically, the judges condemn them for betraying "the noble profession of journalism" by "portraying the Country -- untruthfully -- to be in a state of chaos ... internal strife and disarray." This sinister plot was apparently orchestrated "upon the instructions of the ... terrorist Muslim Brotherhood Group" headquartered at a Marriott hotel suite off Tahrir Square.[/ltr]




[ltr]The story is completely fabricated. There was no Marriott "cell" -- the journalists simply worked from a hotel room. There was no plot -- the journalists had never even met the 14 alleged Brotherhood members they were charged with until they saw them in court on the first day of trial. There was no false reporting about chaos in Egypt -- there was plenty of chaos to report. But how, in the modern age, can a state put on such sham proceedings, open to the world, and get away with it? What logistics are involved in establishing a kangaroo court to silence critics? This trial provides a guide to how it's done.[/ltr]




[ltr]The first lesson in how to pull off a show trial is that it helps to have antiquated laws that criminalize ordinary (and necessary) speech. In Egypt, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] "insult" the state's institutions or spread "rumors" that harm the country's reputation. A broad interpretation of terrorism allows plenty of other speech to be captured as well.[/ltr]




[ltr]Next, you need the right judge. No government intent on persecuting its critics will want to leave the outcome of a trial to chance. In the Al Jazeera case, a panel of three judges presided over the trial, with the chief judge wearing black sunglasses throughout the proceedings. The case should have been assigned to a judicial panel by a group of judges that form the court's "general assembly." But in this case, a special order was made to select the judges. Even the prosecutor was a personal pick. Egypt's chief prosecutor -- Hisham Barakat -- was selected by the last President, and he put his son in charge of the case.[/ltr]




[ltr]What else does the Al Jazeera case teach us is needed for show trials? You must present some sort of evidence so that it looks like a real case, and if you do not fabricate it then at least make it secret or irrelevant. Here there were many hundreds of pages in the case file devoted to listing seized equipment showing the allegedly terrorist nature of the plot -- the offending items being nothing more than Mac laptops, Sony cameras, memory sticks and standard video-editing software. At trial, prosecutors proceeded with what can only be described as a surreal presentation of video footage painstakingly played for hours to the court. Most of the videos predated the timeframe on the indictment, came from unrelated TV channels and covered ordinary events. This included holiday snaps, horses galloping in a yard, a BBC program about the Westgate Mall terror attack and a report for CNN on Gaddafi's palaces.[/ltr]




[ltr]Not a single digital or hard copy piece of evidence showed the journalists were in any way linked to the Brotherhood. Not a shred of evidence showed that any of the journalists gave the Brotherhood money or other material support. There was not even an allegation by the prosecution that any particular video played by Al Jazeera had been doctored, let alone proof that it was so.[/ltr]




[ltr]The judgment makes it sound like there was relevant evidence through witness testimony -- eight prosecution witnesses in total. But on a closer reading, it becomes clear that only one witness is even relevant to the case against the journalists (the others only giving evidence about the search that was carried out or testifying about other defendants). And who is this witness? An intelligence officer named Ahmed Hussein who -- according to the judgment -- confirmed the prosecution's version of events through "serious investigations that he personally carried out and using his confidential sources." How convenient: the "investigations" and "confidential sources" are never revealed.[/ltr]




[ltr]Of course, no real subversion of justice would be complete without a wholesale denial of due process for the defense. Here, the judge denied bail for no good reason and then told the defense to pay $170,000 to view the video evidence that would be presented against them. Mr. Greste was denied an interpreter for part of the proceedings. The presumption of innocence was compromised even before the trial, when the authorities videotaped the journalists' arrest and replayed it on TV against sinister background music from the soundtrack of "Thor: The Dark World." It is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and has to be seen to be believed. The journalists were then paraded in prison uniforms in a cage during the course of the trial.[/ltr]




[ltr]A final key ingredient in this show trial was the use of religious references to demonize the defendants. The prosecutors used verses from the Quran to describe the activities of the journalists and, in due course, the judges followed their lead in the final judgment, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] "Satan joined [the journalists] in the exploitation of this media activity to direct it against this country."[/ltr]




[ltr]In truth, the Egyptian government did not really try to hide its intent in initiating this prosecution. The questioning by investigators focused on blatantly political questions including such queries as: "What's your opinion of the Muslim Brotherhood?" "What do you think of ex-president Mohamed Morsi?" "What do you think of the June 30th revolution [and] the new constitution?" Ironically, the answers criticized Morsi and showed respect for the current regime -- Fahmy had even taken part in the mass march against Morsi that put President Sisi in power! But the answers did not matter much. This was a battle for Egypt's identity, and Al Jazeera and Qatar would be taught a lesson for supporting the Brotherhood in Egypt. One prosecutor even admitted as much to Fahmy in a cigarette break during questioning, telling him: "It's just bad timing, this is all about Qatar and Al Jazeera, nothing to do with you."[/ltr]




[ltr]Egypt has signed up to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, a human rights treaty that functions as a "bill of rights" at the international level. Like Egypt's own constitution, this protects freedom of speech and guarantees the right to a fair trial. Free speech means that reporting that harms a country's image should not be criminal, especially when -- as in this case -- there is no evidence that it is false, let alone knowingly so. Under both international and Egyptian law, a fair trial means independent judges, the need for evidence of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and due process. But all of this was ignored in the journalists' case.[/ltr]




[ltr]In June 2013, I headed a delegation from the International Bar Association -- the largest association of lawyers worldwide -- to advise on reforming Egypt's judicial system and constitution. Our report criticized attempts by President Morsi's government to silence critics by having them locked up and recommended reforms to the country's judiciary. By the time we were to launch the report, a new government had come in under interim President Adly Mansour, but apparently nothing had changed. We were told to launch the report in London or risk arrest if we did it in Cairo.[/ltr]




[ltr]The Al Jazeera trial took place during Sisi's presidency -- the fourth administration to come into power since Mubarak. It must be a devastating blow to those who took to the streets in 2011, hoping to usher in a new era that would protect their dignity and human rights. What they have seen is that since 2011, each successive regime that has come into power has allowed police and army chiefs to escape prosecution while critics of the government have been enthusiastically pursued through the courts. Under the military's rule, more civilians were prosecuted for the crime of "insulting the military" than ever under Mubarak. Then during Morsi's reign, journalists were routinely targeted for "insulting the Presidency" and '"insulting Islam," including "Egypt's Jon Stewart" -- Bassem Youssef. Now the courts are used to kill or silence those who are members of the Brotherhood or who simply work for a news network that gives it coverage.[/ltr]




[ltr]This vicious cycle exists because the country's laws are anachronistic and fall foul of international obligations. But also because there are people within the Egyptian legal system who feel it is their patriotic duty to operate according to the system. It is ironic that the main charge against the Al Jazeera journalists is that they sought to tarnish Egypt's image -- there is little that could tarnish it more than allowing such injustices to persist. This case will set a precedent for press freedom and nascent democracies in the region, and presents President Sisi with an opportunity to show that this administration is a true new beginning. He can restore justice and hope by granting these journalists the pardon they deserve.[/ltr]


Last edited by Nicky80 on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 07:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
avatar
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Posts : 138
Join date : 2014-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Katiedot on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 09:41

Great article. It so clearly expresses the injustices these journalists have received. It really makes you want to cry that in this day and age, this sort of nonsense can still go on, doesn't it?
avatar
Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 13224
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by party animal - not! on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 10:47

Great piece, and I'm really pleased she's giving the case more (extremely knowledgeable) exposure. There's been so little out there on it. Let's hope the timing brings it more.

Thank you, Jenn, for the find

party animal - not!
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8795
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 17:29

Agree PAN, I followed that case in the news and I was surprised that so little is out there...You would expect that other Journalists would help each other but it feels like nobody is really reporting about it.....I hope those 3 guys come free.
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by party animal - not! on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 18:13

and it looks like there's another appeal against sentence today (August 20) according to Fahmy's own Twitter page

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8795
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 22:07

Mary McGowan Davis is third member of panel formed out of Palestinian resolution. She replaces attorney Amal Alamuddin.


Ex-New York judge named to UN panel assessing war crimes in Gaza


A former New York judge has been appointed the third member of a United Nations panel looking into whether Israel has committed war crimes in its conflict with Hamas in Gaza.


Mary McGowan Davis was named to the panel by the head of the UN Human Rights Council, Gabon Ambassador Baudelaire Ndong Ella, the Associated Press reported.


The council launched the commission of inquiry on July 23 accepting a Palestinian-drafted resolution.
McGowan joins William Schabas and Doudou Diène on the committee, which is expected to deliver a report next March.


The Israeli government has condemned the UN council's decision to form the panel, saying that Hamas should be the subject of the inquiry. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at the time that Hamas was "committing a double war crime by firing rockets at Israeli civilians while hiding behind Palestinian civilians. …"


Schabas, who chairs the panel, is a professor of international criminal law and human rights, the UN council said in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] announcing the members.


Diène from 2002 to 2008 was the UN's "Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, xenophobia and related intolerance," the statement said.


On the panel, McGowan replaces Amal Alamuddin, a U.K. attorney and the fiancé of the actor George Clooney. Alamuddin, who the UN said is a specialist in international law and human rights, decided not to serve on the panel, citing her current commitments.


Israel in 2009 faced a similar investigation from the Goldstone Committee, led by the South African judge Richard Goldstone. That panel's report, released in September 2009, harshly criticized Israel's conduct during its 2008 conflict with Hamas in Gaza. 


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Jenn on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 14:44

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Clooney fiancee to see Samaras over marbles' return


According to reports in the press, George Clooney's fiancee, Amal Alamuddin has undertaken the issue of the return of the Parthenon marbles.
According to reports in the press, George Clooney's fiancee, Amal Alamuddin has undertaken the issue of the return of the Parthenon marbles, one of her future spouse's pet projects.
As revealed the London-based, British-Lebanese barrister, activist and author is in fact coming to Greece on 11 September to meet with Prime Minister Antonis Samaras.
Director Phaedon Papamichail made the disclosure, which appeared today in Andro.gr. The issue had emerged at the Berlin festival, when a young Greek reporter had asked Mr Clooney about his stance on the issue and the activist actor had taken a very vivid position in favor of the return of the marbles to Greece.
Amakl Ramzi Alamuddin has worked in the Office of the Prosecutor at the UN Special Tribunal for Lebanon and at the International Criminal tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. She has been involved in high-profile cases representing the state of Cambodia, the former Libyan intelligence chief Abdallah Al Senussi, Yulia Timoshenko, and world famous whistle blower Julian Assange, and is an adviser to the King of Bahrain in connection with the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry. She became engaged to George Clooneyon 28 April 2014. On 7 August 2014, they obtained marriage licenses.


avatar
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Posts : 138
Join date : 2014-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 14:54

Thanks Jenn for the find....

Since when does marbles need a human right lawyer?????

I do understand the history about the marbles and the story between Greece and England but not sure if that situation is that bad that it needs a human right lawyer. I think in this case she should have skip this one and taken the Palestine conflict...but what do I know.....
Ok let's fight for the marbles then....At least with this project she will be referred with George all the time as he comment on the marbles in Berlin. I'm sure the press will make it look like George and Amal fighting for Greece marbles  Razz
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by fava on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 15:39

This is a very old issue.  To link it to George's comments in Berlin is just trading on his name.  I doubt the British Museum will ever give them back--they would have to give back 1/2 of their stuff (as would many other museums in the world) if they start repatriating objects.

Greece has apparently asked UNESCO's help in getting them back.  If this story about Amal is true, maybe she was hired by the UN.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Posts : 1160
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by lelacorb on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 16:07

but sorry, not dece get married the next day?
avatar
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Posts : 3322
Join date : 2011-03-15
Location : Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by lelacorb on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 16:10

perhaps it would be better that Amal had occupied Gaza them there are people in their rights violated the marbles do not suffer and have no feelings
avatar
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Posts : 3322
Join date : 2011-03-15
Location : Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Silje on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 16:32

I think George got some sarcastic comments from the English media when he said that the  marbles should be returned to Greece.

But it is definitely a less controversial job for Amal then the Gaza investigation.
avatar
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2014-05-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by lelacorb on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 16:36

George is right when he says that they must return the marbles in Greece 'cause had been stolen by the thief and then donated to the British Museum but the error was George and ask France to return the "Mona Lisa" to Italy!
avatar
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Posts : 3322
Join date : 2011-03-15
Location : Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by monaco on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:14

Crikey.  With all these rumours and reports (work, wedding, health problems) Greece isn't the only one who's lost it's marbles.  I'm starting to get dizzy....ExclamationQuestionRolling EyesWink

monaco
Clooney virgin

Posts : 44
Join date : 2011-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by PigPen on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:15

lol!

PigPen
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2115
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by party animal - not! on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 19:38

Very, very interesting! Source impeccable..............



[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Youtube interview with Phaedon Papamichael


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



Last edited by Nicky80 on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:26; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added video/ edit title)

party animal - not!
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8795
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by PigPen on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 19:41

can't get to it...are they going before or after wedding, etc?

PigPen
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2115
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by party animal - not! on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 19:45

Are you having problems?

Scroll down, PP.........and watch.......Phedon Papamichael was filming the Nespresso advert in Como. And his interview goes further.........

party animal - not!
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8795
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by PigPen on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 19:49

we're still having issues... tornado ( just missed me) and really bad thunder storms over the week-end.  Downed power lines are effecting cable, computers, etc.

I could read that there is a trip.. but can't get the you-tube to play.

PigPen
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2115
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by PigPen on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:02

There is an article in the Greek Reporter, Sept  2, 2014  But I can't even copy it right now.  It mentions Amal is considering going Sept 11th.  No mention of George going.  perhaps you or Nicky can move the article


George Clooney ‘s Fiancee to Discuss Parthenon Marbles in Greec
e

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney’s fiancée, lawyer Amal Alamuddin, is considering to take action for the return of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to Greece. According to andro.gr, she will be visiting Greece on September 11 and will meet with Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras.

Greek-German cinematographer/director Phaedon Papamichael spoke on the issue in an interview with andro.gr and revealed that Alamuddin is very interested in pursuing the case. Furthermore, he added that the Greek Tourism and Finance Ministers have contacted him along with the Consulate General of Greece in Los Angeles, requesting that he asks his longtime friend George Clooney to become an advocate for the return of the marbles.

“Hopefully this development will have a long-term effect and will not be subjected to political exploitation,” he said. “Celebrities like Clooney and Alamuddin do not tolerate such petty political games.”

Clooney also spoke about the Parthenon Marbles issue during the Berlin International Film Festival. He stressed the need for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece causing a wave of enthusiasm from supporters of the idea and reactions from the USA.

So far, there has not been an official announcement from the Culture Ministry regarding the meeting between Alamuddin and Samaras.

- See more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


Last edited by Nicky80 on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed text)

PigPen
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2115
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:04

Merged threads
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:39

In case someone likes to comment about the video above and the comment has nothing to do with Amal's work, then please post in the thread below, the thread for the video. Thanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by PigPen on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 14:23

From the Greek Reporter..


George Clooney ‘s Fiancee to Discuss Parthenon Marbles in Greece


by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -  Sep 2, 2014

 20  23 Google +0  0  0  53
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]’s fiancée, lawyer Amal Alamuddin, is considering to take action for the return of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to Greece. According to andro.gr, she will be visiting Greece on September 11 and will meet with Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras.
Greek-German cinematographer/director Phaedon Papamichael spoke on the issue in an interview with andro.gr and revealed that Alamuddin is very interested in pursuing the case. Furthermore, he added that the Greek Tourism and Finance Ministers have contacted him along with the Consulate General of Greece in Los Angeles, requesting that he asks his longtime friend George Clooney to become an advocate for the return of the marbles.
“Hopefully this development will have a long-term effect and will not be subjected to political exploitation,” he said. “Celebrities like Clooney and Alamuddin do not tolerate such petty political games.”
Clooney also spoke about the Parthenon Marbles issue during the Berlin International Film Festival. He stressed the need for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece causing a wave of enthusiasm from supporters of the idea and reactions from the USA.
So far, there has not been an official announcement from the Culture Ministry regarding the meeting between Alamuddin and Samaras.
- See more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


Guess that takes Sept 12 out of the running for a trip to City Hall

PigPen
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2115
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Temp thread do not post

Post by Joanna on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 15:20

This is all very interesting. Hope we can get updates 
on the project.
avatar
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 19216
Join date : 2011-11-17
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 17:59

Merged threads
avatar
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Posts : 8561
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Katiedot on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 19:39

Nicky80 wrote:Since when does marbles need a human right lawyer?????
I think the whole human rights lawyer label is a red herring. What she is is an international lawyer (as in a lawyer who specialises in international law). Human rights falls under that, but so would a whole bunch of other stuff.
avatar
Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 13224
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by PigPen on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 19:46

I'm confused again ( what else is new), and maybe I'm splitting hairs.. is she a lawyer or barrister?  We bantered that around, on another thread, but I'm lost.

PigPen
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Posts : 2115
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum