George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin

+23
fava
Carla97
Philippago
LornaDoone
Way2Old4Dis
Pari
catwoman
Sevens
Joanna
Lighterside
pippilotta
it's me
silly girl
Piglet
marysunshine
LizzyNY
party animal - not!
lelacorb
What Would He Say
Lakin460
Butterfly
Nicky80
Katiedot
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 Empty Re: Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin

Post by Lighterside Fri 21 Mar 2014, 12:38

Perhaps we're overthinking this a bit? After all, George is a known skirt chaser extraordinaire and it's ridiculous to think that a man like him would be "dateless" for long, no matter who is making jokes or not. To say that he is dating this person or that for any reason other than "the fire down below" as Bob Seger put it, driving him into any relationship, is presumptuous in my opinion.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin - Page 2 Empty Re: Amusing (or not) media comments on George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 21 Mar 2014, 13:05

p.s. Forgot to say, thanks, Katiedot.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 21 Mar 2014, 13:19

Remember last year's Oscars? Seth made a joke about a nine-year-old nominee will be too old for George in 16 years. I think that one stings more than the Golden Globes joke.
That night he got his second Oscar at a career peak but his filmmaking peers were laughing about his girlfriend choices. How ironic it was.
He didn't show up at the Golden Globes after all.
But he later said the whole Tomorrowland set were laughing at him without himself knowing what happened...tough for him as well, I guess.

Last edited by Sevens on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 13:32; edited 2 times in total
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 13:28

In a way some in media might think this way too,

Here is a thing, I haven´t thought about his education before. Haven´t made a single comment about it before.

It only came up now with how the new girlfriend is introduced. Underlining where she went to school (Oxford, having nearly 1/4 of students coming from non EU country or UK), what she studied and how she practices her profession. Good for her, but at the same time it reveals what he is lacking, which is any formal education, 4-8 years of University and paper in your hand.

The first glimpse it looks good. But on a second?

What does it matter? In civilized societies it does. We are open to all levels of education. Sure. He has money. He has career, merits, etc. Yes, but,

person´s socioeconomic status consists of 3 basic factors: education, occupation and income. Basically if there is a "vulnerable" spot in his "image" with the new girlfriend, it could be the fact that they are not "equal" at least in 2 (education and occupation). She can start acting, screenwriting, producing and directing tomorrow and getting very connected, but he can´t start to practice law.

It is possible, now that she is "introduced", focus will eventually move or be moved to somewhere else than her academics, which would benefit him in this respect.

At the moment there is some dim imbalance. Hope it clears out. Still overall I think she is a good choice for him.
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Fri 21 Mar 2014, 14:29

My understanding is that for actors in Hollywood a college degree is the exception, not the rule. So in the industry George works in that kind of education is not a prerequisite. And unfortunately, fame trumps a lot of other (more important ) values in our society. I don't think most of the media will see an imbalance in this relationship as they are both very successful at their chosen careers. I would say the same thing if she was a great teacher, businesswoman or artist--none of which require the years of education Amal has or make as high an income. It's just refreshing that he is with someone who does not appear to be chasing fame based on her looks (which is the broad brush I paint most prior girlfriends with).

Not sure I buy into a comparison of "socioeconomic status" either and think it's pretty irrelevant and not something George gives a damn about.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by catwoman Fri 21 Mar 2014, 15:12

Katiedot wrote:
catwoman wrote:Many people are saying that he only left his relationship with Amal appear after Stace announced they will marry and is pregnant. Wounded male pride!
 While it's possible, I think it's unlikely.  George (and Amal, for that matter) has a really busy schedule.  Did he really have time to drop everything and go on holiday in order to 'prove' something to his ex?  I rather doubt it.

I think that Stacy's sudden marriage and possible pregnancy is a two finger salute to George and all the lies about not wanting to settle down that she dutifully trotted out to the media as she was told to.  A woman scorned . . .

Way2Old4Dis wrote:I'll just be glad when all the hoopla dies down.
I think you've got a long wait.  Elisabetta was over several years ago but look how her fans are still pushing the agenda, even on this site!

LizzyNY wrote:@Way2Old - Ouch! "Stunted adolescent"? Do you really think so? And "pathetic and inconsequential", "nothing better to do and nobody to do it with"? Do you really think his friends see him that way?
 I don't think that's what W2O4D is saying; she's referring to his public image and what's being said about him.

Matt Damon isn't a close friend of George's as far as we know, although they're surely friends.

George's close friends know him and support him, of course, but to the outside world looking in on George's life, that is how it can appear.

People are saying that he showed to the whole world that is dating Amal after stace announced her marriage and pregnancy was not anything about the trip. The photos were disseminated in several places that they are together, because before, they were almost hidden.

I do not think this comment is so absurd, men are very childish in this respect.
catwoman
catwoman
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Philippago Fri 21 Mar 2014, 15:19

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Amal is for me a very interesting woman, for now I do not find fault, I really hope that George has finally found the woman of his life! I'm rooting for Amal!  Laughing Laughing
Philippago
Philippago
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 21 Mar 2014, 16:09

@Way2Old - You are, as always, much more eloquent than I am - and quite clear about what you mean. I just occurred to me that we interpreted Matt Damon's remarks differently. You saw it as a dig at George's private life. I didn't. (I'm really having trouble explaining myself here.) I think it was just "George has more free time than I do" - no other implication intended - along with a little "I won't retaliate because I'm afraid of what he'd do next".

Is George concerned about his public image? Of course. Besides the fact that it's part of his job, he's human - and having your personal life joked about has to hurt. Is he consciously trying to turn it around? Maybe. After all, he's not a kid starting out. He's a grown man with a very successful career and he wants, like anyone else, to be taken seriously and respected.

I don't know where his relationship with Amal fits into anything. Maybe he doesn't either. Whatever it turns out to be, I hope it doesn't hurt him (or his public image). He deserves a break.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by catwoman Fri 21 Mar 2014, 16:20

I saw this review written by someone in the people magazine website and found it interesting.

"Yes, and until very recently, Amal's Facebook page had a plethora of pictures of her with her family in Dubai sipping champagne and obviously living a very opulent life. Of course her Facebook profile has since been deleted - for obvious reasons. Reading about her family in WSJ and other periodicals over the years they are unapologetically pro-Palestinian and rumored to putting money behind their views. I'm curious why George would choose as a suitor someone with this type of history and outlook of the world? Especially with the documented work he does for the poverty stricken in Africa? This all grosses me out on so many different levels.."
catwoman
catwoman
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 21 Mar 2014, 17:27

catwoman....if you quote from a publication,
it's customary here to post the link to the publication too.

There's a lot of "people are saying" comments floating around....I always ask "what people" and remember that "people said the earth was flat" once upon a time.

Actions and Facts are what I like best.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 17:37

Yeah Right  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by catwoman Fri 21 Mar 2014, 17:39

Joanna wrote:catwoman....if you quote from a publication,
it's customary here to post the link to the publication too.

There's a lot of "people are saying" comments floating around....I always ask "what people" and remember that "people said the earth was flat" once upon a time.

Actions and Facts are what I like best.

ok, here is one of the comments below

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
catwoman
catwoman
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by catwoman Fri 21 Mar 2014, 17:43

The person who commented is: "Concern4Clooney"
catwoman
catwoman
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 21 Mar 2014, 22:10

Some of the comments are hysterical.

kris • 9 hours ago

Omg... Does she have gray hair????? Way to go George!

Tullz kris • 8 hours ago

i'm pretty sure its the camera flash
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 22 Mar 2014, 02:44

If she doesn't have gray hair now, she probably will by the time he's through with her - not from him, but from all the attention she's getting from his "fans" (not us!) and the media.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 22 Mar 2014, 04:23

Did we have this yet? Thanks Henway for the link:

George Clooney’s new girlfriend sure is taking off a lot of time from work, right?

March 21, 2014

By Kaiser Amal Alamuddin, George Clooney

George Clooney’s new, official girlfriend Amal Alamuddin got pap’d in NYC two days ago. This ^^ is the photo. You can see more pics here – Lainey was super-excited about Amal’s outfit, but I’m not so sure. If Clooney Inc. is trying to sell us on the idea that George finally found a smart woman who will be his equal, is this the first pap-friendly outfit we really want to see? Not for me. I wanted to see her in a great suit, or maybe something by Diane Von Furstenberg. This outfit says… “I dress like a 22-year-old hipster with a trust fund.”

Anyway, we now have more details about George and Amal’s Tanzanian safari. Apparently, the whole thing was a huge vacation that began in Seychelles (an island off the coast of Africa) and then they went on safari.

Amal Alamuddin is one lucky lady. The British lawyer, who’s rumored to be dating A-lister and noted bachelor George Clooney, was whisked away by the Monuments Men actor for a tropical vacation in Seychelles, an island country not far off the coast of Southeast Africa in the Indian Ocean.

Clooney, 52, and Alamuddin, 36, were photographed walking together on March 13 on the beach in Seychelles (where Prince William and Kate Middleton honeymooned in 2011). Both looked appropriately breezy; Alamuddin wore a straw hat and a colorful beach cover-up, while Clooney sported a T-shirt and shorts. He had what looked like a beer in his hand, and she sipped from some kind of tropical fruit.

Rumors about the two first started to swirl when they were spotted together in London last October. At the time, however, Clooney was dating “Croatian Sensation” Monika Jakisic, and Alamuddin was “just a friend,” a source told Us.

Clearly, things have changed. The pair recently appeared at a special White House screening of the star’s latest movie, Monuments Men, where they “looked very much together,” a source told the U.K.’s Daily Mail.

“She’s very smart and can hold a conversation,” an insider tells Us Weekly of Alamuddin, noting that she and Clooney “are always very close” and engrossed in their own “private” discussions. “He does like having her around.”

[From Us Weekly]

Wow, she got a beach vacation and a safari vacation. And now she’s in NYC with Clooney? I guess her law firm is very forgiving about personal days, right? And now I’m worried. I’m worried that despite the fact that Amal has been billed as this hard-charging, brilliant lawyer, she’s still the kind of woman who will drop everything in her life (including her legal career) so she can be Clooney’s arm candy. Ugh!

The real test is seeing whether Amal makes it to the summer – Clooney likes to have a girlfriend for his summers at Lake Como. Usually, he debuts the new girlfriend during the summer. So… his timing is all off with this one. It’s almost like Clooney’s creature-of-habit girlfriend rollouts were becoming noticeable! So, will Amal make it to Como? Or will she have to work? Ha.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:21

Just to clarify something.

The legal profession in the UK is run in a completely different way from that of the States.

Amal Alamuddin is a barrister. Which means that she's self-employed. So she can decide, depending on her case load, deadlines etc, when she goes on holiday, and how long for She belongs to a chambers which is a set of legal offices, with barristers using the clerks, secretaries etc etc.

Looking at everything she's involved in, I don't think she's doing too badly!!

Here's a short film from the UN in 2012 when Kofi Annan decided to resign from his Syrian Peace initiative, and she is sitting at the back

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:38

Many thanks PAN, that's really helpful information (to me, anyway).

So basically, she can set her own hours? Not to mention that nowadays work can be done from anywhere. As long as you have decent internet access, you can research, write and prepare from anywhere in the world.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 22 Mar 2014, 11:08

Yes, she could, Katie, but in that rarified sphere of high achievers her portfolio isn't bad!! (Irony) She's clearly very highly regarded and must hop from continent to continent with ease.

(When you look at the majority of the front benchers i e ministers in Parliament it is quite remarkable how many of them and their wives are also lawyers and QCs,)

I also note that she's been connected with the Council on Foreign Relations at the UN

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 22 Mar 2014, 14:05

It seems she gets plenty of media attention because of her work. She's probably used to it, and being with George just ramps it up a bit more than usual for her.
Could be why she seems "arrogant" to some people when she's being papped - it doesn't throw her like it did some of his other girlfriends.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 07 Apr 2014, 10:21

Ok I read this this morning. Something to go wild on HA I like it always how they say "a source close to Clooney"  Razz  Razz 

Engaged Batman George Clooney Dating New Girlfriend Amal Alamuddin; 

Things are getting serious between the worst batman the world has ever known, George Clooney, and his new English girlfriend, attorney Amal Alamuddin. Word has it that once dedicated bachelor  will be engaged before the year's end. Decedents co-star Shailene Woodley says George always knows how to get series when he needs to be, but that's not all he's about. She admires his work in Africa almost as much as his on-set fart jokes.
Things sure are heating up quick for George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin since first appearing together as a couple only a few short weeks ago.
A source close to Clooney told OK! that George was on the path to be married much sooner than later:
 "Of all the women he's dated over the last few years...Amal is the first that George actually sees a long future with.
"She is extremely smart...achieving the seemingly unattainable ideal of contemporary femininity: She is both breathtakingly beautiful and formidably successful.
"George can't get enough on Amal...If things keep going as well as they are, he'll definitely propose."
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 07 Apr 2014, 12:08

WOW! That "reporter" needs to go back to school!!! Spell-check is our friend Dude!!!! "George can't get enough on Amal..." - oh dear, poor George.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 07 Apr 2014, 14:13

Oooh Mel love your new Avatar - yeah I don't put much faith in that article, but hey crazier ones have been written
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by catwoman Mon 07 Apr 2014, 19:43

blah blah blah
catwoman
catwoman
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Pita428 Mon 07 Apr 2014, 19:47

Looks like a lot of cut and paste from previous articles. You'd think they could come up with at least one original thought.
Pita428
Pita428
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 01 May 2014, 18:53

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 01 May 2014, 18:57

Very droll!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 01 May 2014, 19:09

Saw this engagement announcement from Slate today, and it gave me a laugh.  Make sure to read the last paragraph; it's the kicker.  Trigger warning for those who get angry about insinuations that Amal is too good for George.
London Human Rights Lawyer Amal Alamuddin Is Engaged
By Ben Mathis-Lilley

Alamuddin, left, at a 2012 press conference related to the imprisonment of former Ukranian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
Photo by JUSTIN TALLIS/AFP/Getty Images

Reuters has a brief biography of Amal Alamuddin, a 36-year-old human rights lawyer whose London law firm issued a statement this morning congratulating her on her engagement.

She was educated at St Hugh's College, Oxford University, and New York University School of Law and speaks Arabic and French fluently, according to the law firm's website.
Alamuddin has advised United Nations former secretary-general Kofi Annan on Syria, represented Ukraine's ex-prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko in challenging her detention before the European Court of Human Rights and has also represented WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in extradition proceedings.
Alamuddin, born in Beirut, once worked for Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor when Sotomayor was a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals.*

Her husband-to-be is an American actor and director who played "Kip Howard" on the television mystery program Murder, She Wrote.

Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 01 May 2014, 19:13

Great, isn't it?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 01 May 2014, 19:15

LOL!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 01 May 2014, 19:38

I think even George would have a laugh at that one Smile
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 01 May 2014, 19:44

I don't get the joke...guess it is the language barrier  scratch
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 01 May 2014, 19:50

Okay this one is part of a larger article on Buzzfeed where they took insulting headlines about famous women and changed them for the better.  I highly recommend checking out the whole list, they're all pretty great.  http://www.buzzfeed.com/rholdup/snarky-headlines-turned-into-normal-headlines-ow72

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 01 May 2014, 20:50

Missa I only read the last paragraph - I can´t stop laughing…very funny Laughing 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2