George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.

2 posters

Go down

Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  Empty Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.

Post by chiki Thu 13 Mar 2014, 20:46

Sorry, I can't find a recent thread with news about Sudan, so I open a new one.

Sudan: Student shot dead and more than 100 arrested at Khartoum protest

11 March 2014

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sudanese police have repeatedly used excessive force against mostly peaceful protests.© ASHRAF SHAZLY/AFP/Getty Images

The Sudanese security forces must immediately stop the use of excessive and unlawful force against protesters, Amnesty International said today, after a student died of gunshot wounds sustained during a demonstration at the University of Khartoum.

Ali Abaker Mussa Idris, a third-year economics student, died in hospital after security forces used tear gas and opened fire with live ammunition to disperse a protest he was taking part in at the university this afternoon. Another student has been severely injured, and a further 110 students were reportedly arrested at the protest, which was against a recent surge in violence in Darfur that has left an estimated 50,000 people displaced.

“Credible accounts by eyewitnesses at the University of Khartoum protest point to police and National Security and Intelligence Services (NISS) officers using tear gas and live ammunition to disperse the protesters. The authorities must rein in the security forces and prevent them from using such excessive force in violation of international law and standards,” said Netsanet Belay, Africa Director of Research and Advocacy at Amnesty International.

In particular, international standards are clear that firearms must not be used for dispersing protesters. They may be used only in defence against an imminent threat of death or serious injury, and only when less extreme measures are insufficient to achieve this.

“The authorities must launch a prompt and impartial investigation into the events at the University of Khartoum and must ensure that all those responsible for this and other unlawful use of force are held accountable in criminal and disciplinary proceedings,” said Netsanet Belay.

“Any members of the security forces responsible for arbitrary or abusive use of force must be prosecuted under criminal law without resort to the death penalty.”

The Sudanese authorities have routinely used excessive force against mostly peaceful demonstrations over the last two years. Amnesty International has previously reported on police forces using batons, tear gas and rubber bullets at close range against demonstrators.

chiki
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  Empty Re: Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.

Post by Mazy Fri 14 Mar 2014, 01:54

If by authorities they mean al Bashir's people you know that will be a big farce. He'll just find a scapegoat to pin it on.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.  Empty Re: Sudan: AI denounces excessive force against protesters.

Post by chiki Fri 14 Mar 2014, 08:14

Yes, absolutely right. Unfortunately, you know AI, as a human rights international organization,  has to refer to Bashir "officially", ......with all that respect that Bashir never has, I mean. For me, it would be very hard concealing my personal view on him.

Still on this subject, Enough Project published yesterday a report about a recent flare of violence in Abyei, on the border between Sudan and South Sudan....more bad news!
(It's a long report, I post only the link)

chiki
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down