George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose

+8
Mazy
msadrienne
Nicky80
NotAvailable
Pari
Maggy
silly girl
LornaDoone
12 posters

Go down

Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose Empty Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose

Post by LornaDoone Tue 11 Feb 2014, 03:37

This is really sad.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The half-sister of Julia Roberts has died of an apparent drug overdose, her family announced Monday.

Nancy Motes, 37, was the youngest sister of Julia and actor Eric Roberts and had battled with depression and obesity.

She was found dead Sunday in Los Angeles, the family says in a statement, issued to People.

“It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes … confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose,” the statement reads. “There is no official report from the Coroner’s office yet. The family is both shocked and devastated.”

Last August Motes described her battle with obesity and depression in an interview, saying she always felt like an embarrassment to Julia because of her weight.

Motes, who once weighed nearly 300 pounds before her decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery in June 2010, told The Sun last year, “It makes me feel incredibly hurt and very sad.”

Nancy, whose other siblings Eric Roberts and Lisa Roberts Gillan are also screen stars, adds: “When you’re in a family of very, very exceptionally beautiful people it’s intimidating. I think that growing up as Pretty Woman’s little sister has definitely made me try to see the person inside and not the person outside. A lot of my life I felt judged for my weight.”

Nancy said Julia wasn’t supportive over her battle with obesity: “When I was in high school and she was an adult, she would just let me know that I was ‘definitely overweight.’

“She would make it quite clear to me and in a not so nice manner.”

After Nancy finished school, she ” followed her sister to Hollywood in 1995 with dreams of becoming a star herself.”

But she claims she did not find Julia, who has a different father, supportive.

She says: “Julia did not want to see me go down that path, mostly because I was overweight.

“My weight has fluctuated my entire life. So I just got a lot of criticism from Julia, which was very discouraging for me.

“I did a lot of auditioning, a lot of waitressing, then really could not afford the cost of living, so I went back to Georgia and focused on doing more things in theatre.”

But she recalls, “My arthritis was flaring up to the point where I couldn’t get the rings on my knuckles, I was gaining weight like crazy. I was in an enormous amount of physical pain and just miserable, which led into the talk of the bariatric surgery.”

Nancy had been living with John Dilbeck and the couple planned to marry in May.

Nancy added she was not sure if Julia would be at her wedding, explaining, “It’s a work in progress, it’s not going to be fixed overnight. Nor do I think it’s going to be fixed by me just getting skinny.

“My family love each other fiercely, we’re really not different from any other family. I love Julia absolutely and I have no doubt she loves me.”

She says: “I want to be known as more than Julia Roberts’ fat little sister.”
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose Empty Re: Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose

Post by silly girl Tue 11 Feb 2014, 04:12

Very sad.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose Empty Re: Julia Robert's Half Sister Found Dead of Overdose

Post by Maggy Tue 11 Feb 2014, 04:24

Yes, very.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Tue 11 Feb 2014, 07:19

Another soul lost to the taunting Monsters... yes, very sad indeed...
Pari
Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Tue 11 Feb 2014, 07:50

I'm sure Julia thought she was doing what was best, and not really trying to taunt her sister. Tho to her sister, it obviously just felt cold. Ppl try to reach others more often than not, with what they consider to be tough love. That is what she was trying for, I am sure. Bet shes broken hearted tho. Thats tough for any family to bear.

Depression is such a terrible thing. I have felt it at times myself. But I would never admit to it. I made myself believe that nothing could ever make me feel that down. And never saw my own weakness until hearing another describe their own situation. Then I knew what I was feeling was also depression.

Scared me back to reality quickly. I immediately took steps to start feeling better about the things that seemed to be causing the problem. Kept a more positive outlook on it and fought the sadder feelings that would accompany certain events. Its not easy to do that sometimes, but depression can quickly lead to worse. So its worth it to fight it off.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 09:10

Thanks Lorna, what a shock.

@Joanie's Clone, glad you got out of this. It is not easy for sure
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 11 Feb 2014, 14:09

If this "taunting" is true and if it continued to adulthood I think it wasn't an attempt to help as much as it was an attempt to keep her image as the Pretty Woman.

I find her (from commentary I've heard about Julia) to be wrapped up in her image.  She is clearly NOT a nice person.  Who steals someone else's husband and then wears a taunting t-shirt in public with the guy's ex name on it?  That smacks of mean girls and it doesn't look so "pretty" to me.

I feel bad for her sister - depression is difficult to overcome - but Julia could have been supportive in a less negative way.

I really hope Julia takes a pause and really does some soul searching.  I don't find her to have a good character just based on her actions with her husband's ex.  I don't find it difficult to believe that she was a bitch to her sister and wasn't doing it for her sister's sake but to keep up the image she needs for her own sake. JMO
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by msadrienne Tue 11 Feb 2014, 16:53

There is a very different side to this story. About two years ago I watched an interview with Julia Roberts on TV. She said that the reason she does not keep in touch with her half sister is because the only time the loving sis calls her up is when she is asking for money from her. JR is a loving mother, who happened to have a not so loving sis. Unfortunately you can't choose your family. This is why it's important to choose good friends in my opinion.

msadrienne
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Tue 11 Feb 2014, 19:09

Oh NO!! I did NOT mean for that to be Julia dear people... the "taunting Monster" is the one we create!! Sometimes it grows in size when we ALLOW others to grow it for us...

The taunting Monster... can tell you how feeble you are... or how dark / useless / ugly / wrong / un-sexy / fat / ill / afraid / whatever else is being told that is NEGATIVE... that which is NOT THE CORE of who we are made... that which is lustful+lying... that which MAGNIFIES our meaninglessness / our failures... that which hides our REAL...

Philip Seymour Hoffman had his set of taunting Monsters too... and so do each of us... some of us can CONTROL it, while others struggle... some simply give in and let it take over their lives...

(Sorry folks... in a bit of a hurry...)  I love you 
Pari
Pari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 11 Feb 2014, 19:24

LornaDoone wrote:If this "taunting" is true and if it continued to adulthood I think it wasn't an attempt to help as much as it was an attempt to keep her image as the Pretty Woman.

I find her (from commentary I've heard about Julia) to be wrapped up in her image.  She is clearly NOT a nice person.  Who steals someone else's husband and then wears a taunting t-shirt in public with the guy's ex name on it?  That smacks of mean girls and it doesn't look so "pretty" to me.

I feel bad for her sister - depression is difficult to overcome - but Julia could have been supportive in a less negative way.

I really hope Julia takes a pause and really does some soul searching.  I don't find her to have a good character just based on her actions with her husband's ex.  I don't find it difficult to believe that she was a bitch to her sister and wasn't doing it for her sister's sake but to keep up the image she needs for her own sake. JMO

Sorry to say I have to agree with you Lorna about Julia. She never came across as a very nice person to me, she appears to be narcissistic.

Last edited by LornaDoone on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 22:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix quote code)
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:36

From behaviour, Julia seems utterly protective of her loved ones... I see it could be because she has learned a few things after being in Hollywood for so long...

Besides her, I see Matt (Damon), pretty much cruising his course, the respect his fans have for his wife, comes from the fact that he has placed her well beside him Smile For that I applaud him...

It is also wonderful to see young Jennifer Lawrence, taking a call, and much in control... I think she is brilliant at times... Smile Sure, there are others as well...

Factually, the PR machine is huge in Hollywood... no doubt on that one and there is nothing really to be afraid of!! (HAHAHAHAHA) And so the study of how celebrities have handled them, CAN tell us about how well they've managed SOME of their "taunting Monsters" as well Smile

PR as one of them "taunting Monsters"??? Shshshshshhhhhhh... I don't think they'd like to hear that... Smile
Pari
Pari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 18:05

I wonder when and what Julia will comment about it. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Julia Roberts’ half-sister Nancy Motes left five-page suicide letter detailing her tortured relationship with Oscar-winning actress: source 

Motes' fiancé found her body Sunday in a bathtub filled with water at a Los Angeles home, a source told the Daily News. In the days leading up to her death, she sounded emotionally unstable in posts on her Twitter account.
Julia Roberts’ late half-sister left a suicide note citing her tortured relationship with the Oscar winner, a source close to the investigation told the Daily News Tuesday.
"It was definitely a suicide. She left a five-page suicide letter. The EMT found it," the source told The News.
"There were three pages of rantings that her sister drove her to do this. There was one page to her mom, telling her how much she loved her, and one page apologizing to (her fiancé John Dilbeck)," the source said.
Dilbeck found the body of Nancy Motes, 37, about 2 p.m. Sunday in a bathtub filled with water at a Los Angeles home, the source said.

Motes had been pet-sitting for a client who rented the home. She may have been dead for about 12 hours before her body was found, the source said.

“It looks like a pill overdose," the source said.
Motes, a Georgia native, was the daughter of Roberts' mother, Betty Lou, and stepfather, Michael Motes.

She had a falling out with Roberts, 46, after giving a tell-all interview last summer and accusing the “Pretty Woman” actress of blocking her access to their sick mother, the source said.
In the days leading up to Motes' death, she sounded emotionally unstable in posts on her Twitter account.
"So my 'sister' said that with all her friends & fans she doesn't need any more love. Just so you all know 'America's Sweetheart' is a B----!!'" she tweeted on Jan. 20, referring to Roberts' star turn in the 2001 rom-com “America's Sweethearts.”

“Do you want to be a fan of someone so cruel? She's not even that good of an actress. Happy you totally F---ed with me?" she added in a subsequent missive.
"(M)y own family has abandoned me," Motes tweeted Jan. 22.
The News confirmed the @Dabbs76 Twitter handle belonged to Motes before her death. The angry tweets were still visible late Monday but had disappeared by early Tuesday.
Motes long struggled with being overweight and living in her movie star sister's shadow.

In August, Motes gave an interview claiming Roberts criticized her appearance as a teen.

"When I was in high school and she was an adult, she would just let me know that I was definitely overweight," Motes said at the time.
"It just makes me feel incredibly hurt and very sad," added Motes, who once weighed nearly 300 pounds before her decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery in June 2010.

She said she hoped her transformation would help repair their fractured relationship, but she noted it was still "a work in progress."
"It's not going to be fixed overnight, nor do I think it's going to be fixed at this point by me just getting skinny," she said.
Craig Harvey, chief of coroner investigations for Los Angeles County, told The News that Motes "was found in a bathtub that contained water. There were prescription and nonprescription drugs found at the scene. The role the drugs may or may not have played is not yet known."

An autopsy was completed as of Tuesday morning, but the cause of death was deferred pending additional toxicology tests, coroner spokesman Ed Winter said.
Winter confirmed the suicide note but said he didn't believe it was five pages.
Roberts canceled her public appearances Monday, including a spot on "Jimmy Kimmel Live."
Her rep confirmed a statement on the tragedy obtained by People.com.
"It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes ... confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose," the statement said. "The family is both shocked and devastated."
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Dior Wed 12 Feb 2014, 18:25

Oh this is hard.
My deepest sympathy for the family.

Dior
Dior

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Wed 12 Feb 2014, 19:02

Definitely hard.

And an eye opener that caring hard words can have negative results.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 13 Feb 2014, 00:50

Mentally ill people -- which this woman clearly was -- have a tortured perception of reality that can include a paranoid skew of events. Nobody really knows what Julia Roberts actually said to her, but I'm willing to bet it was not as cruel as the sister portrayed it. And there are talented but overweight actresses to be found. They don't get the ingenue parts, but they get work. Maybe this sister felt entitled to something because of her relation to JR, or felt that JR 'owed' her a career instead of having to pay her dues like everyone else. Her story of auditions and rejections is pretty par for the Hollywood course.

If she had aspirations that she was not able to achieve, it was psychologically easier to blame her sister for the 'failing' rather than admit it may have been because of internal issues of her own. She has been carrying this around with her for years. Bariatric surgery is not the (only) help she needed. She was bitter, disillusioned, and depressed. She was still, as evidenced by the suicide note (if the story is true, which one can never take for granted) aching to get retribution on JR for the shortcomings of her life. She must have been miserable, living with that poison in her mind all these years.

It's sad that she gave so much of her life over to hate and jealousy. It's sad that she ended it before she could find a way to some element of peace, with or without her sister. It's sad that her family, including Julia Roberts, never had the best of her. It's sad that even in her last moments (again, if the story is true), she was seeking vengeance and blaming her 'nemesis' instead of really examining her own choices. It's sad that she valued the torture and bitterness and spite more than she valued her own life. Sad, yes, no question.

But I do not for one minute believe that Julia Roberts is in any way responsible for this woman's problems. No one is that powerful. Being mean (by reputation), or adulterous (by rumor), or narcissistic (by profession) does not endow anyone with the power over another adult's life choices.

JR seems to have maintained nurturing, long term relationships in all aspects of her life. This one didn't work. It happens. Her sister had problems and killed herself. I don't think it reflects on JR as a person or a sister, unless somebody can prove that she really was cruel or abusive -- which I'm willing to bet won't happen because it's not true.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 13 Feb 2014, 02:16

Uh, adulteress wasn't by rumor.

Danny Moder was married when he and Julia got together and I saw the t-shirt she was photographed wearing taunting his wife.

So so mean and adulteress wasn't by reputation or rumor but by fact.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:56

All of what you say is true Lorna but I'd like to think that we all make mistakes, some of them are huge, granted and harder to get past but all of us have the ability to learn from our mistakes and hopefully, Julia did from hers.

I agree with W2OFD on most of what she commented about this situation, especially the part about how having a sibling, who seems to be good at everything and gets all of the positive attention throughout life, can have a very negative affect upon the other siblings.  It's really about what you do with that life lesson that's important and in this case, Julia's sister let that childhood rivalry/jealousy destroy her rather than cause her to work harder to excel as well.  It's much easier to blame someone else for our failings in life, than to look at the choices we've made which caused them.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 13 Feb 2014, 13:53

And this family feuds seems to continue even after her death.

Link --> From Page Six

Julia Roberts in Private Struggle with Fiance of Late Sister

Julia Roberts has remained silent over the death of her troubled half-sister Nancy Motes, but privately a struggle is going on between the Hollywood star’s family and her late sibling’s devastated fiancé.

A source exclusively tells Page Six that John Dilbeck, whom Motes planned to marry in May, is planning on asserting his right to be a beneficiary of her estate based on their years together and to keep control of her possessions.

The source tells us: “Julia and her mother had tried for a long time, for years, to get Nancy to go into rehab, and she repeatedly refused. They did not approve of John and felt that he was a bad influence on her. But you can’t tell someone of Nancy’s age whom not to date. She was living in a tiny apartment with John, his brother and a child.

“While Nancy wasn’t a wealthy woman, she would have had gifts given to her by Julia as well as intimate family pictures.

“There is a fear that John could be holding Nancy’s personal items hostage and possibly sell them to the highest bidder. If Nancy had photos and wrote a diary, describing her feelings towards her sister, he could use them.”

Nancy took an overdose after writing a ­suicide note, which allegedly contained dark ­secrets about the “Pretty Woman” star that she wanted to be made public, Conner Dilbeck, John’s brother, has claimed in an interview.

John found his fiancée’s body in the bath Sunday, the day before Julia was due to be at an Oscar nominees lunch. She is up for Best Supporting Actress for “August: Osage County.”

Conner claims Julia inflicted “pure cruelty” on her sister and Nancy’s suicide letter was a desperate attempt to expose the alleged treatment.

Conner claimed the note is eight pages long, and Motes deliberately timed her apparent overdose to destroy Julia’s Oscar chances. The note is believed to be in the possession of police — who have not confirmed its contents to Julia’s family.

A source countered, “Julia has been nominated for other awards. Timing a suicide doesn’t make sense.” Roberts’ rep declined to comment.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 13 Feb 2014, 14:15

LornaDoone wrote:Uh, adulteress wasn't by rumor.

Danny Moder was married when he and Julia got together and I saw the t-shirt she was photographed wearing taunting his wife.

So so mean and adulteress wasn't by reputation or rumor but by fact.

Even so, hardly the point.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 13 Feb 2014, 14:20

LornaDoone wrote:And this family feuds seems to continue even after her death.

Link --> From Page Six

Julia Roberts in Private Struggle with Fiance of Late Sister

Julia Roberts has remained silent over the death of her troubled half-sister Nancy Motes, but privately a struggle is going on between the Hollywood star’s family and her late sibling’s devastated fiancé.

A source exclusively tells Page Six that John Dilbeck, whom Motes planned to marry in May, is planning on asserting his right to be a beneficiary of her estate based on their years together and to keep control of her possessions.

The source tells us: “Julia and her mother had tried for a long time, for years, to get Nancy to go into rehab, and she repeatedly refused. They did not approve of John and felt that he was a bad influence on her. But you can’t tell someone of Nancy’s age whom not to date. She was living in a tiny apartment with John, his brother and a child.

So, the man who wasn't much help to her in getting help to fight her addiction, or therapy to deal with her emotional trauma -- and apparently not much of a provider either -- is now seeking to profit from her death. Yeah, this guy has all kinds of credibility. Rolling Eyes 

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 13 Feb 2014, 14:53

I have a feeling this fiance and his brother fed Nancy's neurosis and were an active part of it, rather than capable of getting her the help she needed.  He sounds as though he was probably active in the addiction itself and does plan on selling whatever he can for his own next drug purchase.  For someone who just lost the love of his life, he certainly isn't behaving as one would imagine he might.

Wasn't there a story on Celebitchy or some such gossip site that claimed Nancy and her finace wanted Julia to pick up the tab for their wedding?   I know I read something on the internet somewhere regarding their request which wasn't met with much enthusiasm from JR.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 13 Feb 2014, 23:28

Yes Lighterside, you are right I had read a similar article about Julia picking up the tab for the wedding - think Gossip cop squashed it but my memory is sketchy.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down