I forgot my password

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Out of Sight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Out of Sight out on blu-ray (like you need another version?)

Post by Admin on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 11:42

From Cinemablend

Ooh Santa! For this I can be as naughty as you want me to be! Featuring his second-best love scene, ever, this is a must-have.

Out of Sight is coming to Blu-Ray for the first time on March 1st, 2011, thus answering the question, “Remember when Jennifer Lopez was hot?” Oh, the days when Lopez starved herself to stray from curvy, and George Clooney looked…exactly the same. Well, except for this mishap that same year.

The 1998 romantic crime drama, directed by Steve Soderbergh, will feature commentary from the director and his screenwriter, Scott Frank. There will also be a featurette on the making of Out of Sight, deleted scenes, music highlights, production photographs, and the original theatrical trailer. The list price for the disc is $26.99, but you can preorder it on Amazon right now for $18.99.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Sight

Post by melbert on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 12:15

I loved this movie. I don't have blu-ray, so I won't be ordering this, but it's still just an awesome flick! Very Happy
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 17:26

What is considered to be his first best love scene?I also love this movie.
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 20:57

For me Solaris - nice bum Very Happy
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 03:51

lucy wrote:What is considered to be his first best love scene?I also love this movie.
For me, it's Out of Sight, but for almost every other fan it's Solaris. And not just because of his bare bum, but it's a lovely scene.
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 04:16

But, I think with Out of Sight, the sexual tension and teasing makes it so much better. Solaris was great, but it didn't prolong anything, to me anyway. Even to the very end of Out of Sight, when they're heading back to the "glades", Jennifer gives George back his lighter and they touch fingers - wow the tension... cheers
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 09:49

I do love the bit in the bath....but I hate the bit in the back of the car he's all muddy and icky and she keeps twitching and turning....
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Out of Sight

Post by Katiedot on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 11:47

Henway found this video of George giving Access Hollywood a tour of the Out of Sight set. It's an oldie but a goodie!

Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 16:11

I can't get over how different he looks. Those sideburns do nothing for him. His face now is much fuller and softer. His sense of humor is the same. He still uses some of the same lines. Thanks for the video, I had never seen it.
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 17:27

I hadn't become a GC-stalker when this was filmed,but OOS is one of my favs,so it was fun watching this, thanks Henway!
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 18:07

Even back then "I don't like these guys". She seemed to enjoy herself being with him though!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 02:28

I just watched Out of Sight and liked it. Great love scene!

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:19

Cinders, luvvvvv when Gee's in bed and Jl crawls up him!!!! and of course when he's geeting his kecks off!
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 12:01

I love Out of Sight one of my favs like Solaris too but for different reasons. I think there is a style to out of sight and I even like J Lo in it. George stripping down to his boxers and the bath scene both great scenes.
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 17:33

Oooh, this is one of my fave films of his. It was such a smart film and like everyone else it seems, I loved the seduction scene in the bar. George in the bath wasn't bad either.

Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 17:47

Katie, thanks SO MUCH for the video. BTW this love scene was rated as one of the best for that year. Not surprising!
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 18:01

Love the movie and the book.
sandwiches
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 06:01

Loved this.

From The Telegraph UK

Karl Killen on Out of Sight

Karl Killen, writer of The Beaver, starring Mel Gibson, explains why Steven Soderbergh’s under-appreciated 1998 crime caper Out of Sight is inspirational.

29 Sep 2011

Out of Sight feels under-appreciated for how inventive it was at the time. It’s a crime caper, but it’s the characters and the way they think and relate to each other that sticks with you. That’s what elevates it.

This was the moment when George Clooney became the George Clooney that you see in the movies today. This is where he began that throwback Cary Grant kind of swagger, where he oozes charisma. There’s a line in the film where Jennifer Lopez says, “You really wear that suit”, and that’s what Clooney can do: he’s a man who almost doesn’t even have to say anything.

Clooney and Soderbergh seem as if they have one of those partnerships where they take each other to another level. They both excel, and seems as if Out of Sight was the beginning of a career renaissance for Soderbergh – and it was the same thing for Clooney. I don’t think the number of times they have collaborated since is an accident.

There was one particular scene that was mind-blowing. It’s the love scene between Clooney and Lopez, which was edited in such a way that it created a whole different way of telling the story.

You had these two different scenes that were incredibly beautiful, and the editor realised that it was intriguing to get a glimpse of what happened next, even as you were witnessing what was happening in the present.

It was actually sexier to jump back and forth in time than to do the scene in a linear way. It put the act of physically making love on a par with verbal sparring, and I think that’s why that scene has such a smouldering quality.

That scene deeply influenced me. I would have been blown away by all the individual contributions to it: the director, the cinematographers, the actors, the score, but it’s not until you put it all together that it really becomes something. That is quintessentially what moviemaking is about – the sum of all those parts are infinitely greater than any one of the individual pieces.
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vilma on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:16

I just love Out of sight and I should watch it again - it has been a while. The love scene really is mind-blowing like said on that article Katie posted.
Vilma
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 21:11

i like Out of sight it's a nice movie ,and i like The Peacemaker too only because of clooney wear army uniform and NK is a sweet actress.

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 21:26

The Peacemaker was on AMC TV the other night. AMC gives little trivia notes on the bottom of the screen. Part of the trivia was the scene in the film when G's character said that the US educated most of the terrorists.

We did teach them here in US to become pilots.
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 21:34

Do you realize how many of them have gone to some of our most prestigeous Universities and Colleges - Harvard, Princeton,MIT, shall I go on?

lolo, you are right, he does look good in a uniform and NK is a sweet actress.
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 21:38

pattygirl wrote:Do you realize how many of them have gone to some of our most prestigeous Universities and Colleges - Harvard, Princeton,MIT, shall I go on?

Sad, isn't it?
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 23:05

Vilma! nice this one 2

who is kidding who?

OOS
a masterpiece
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Tue 06 Dec 2011, 10:55

From IFC.com

The dozen funniest death scenes in otherwise serious movies

From accidental headshots to toxic waste-fueled rampages, here's what made us laugh when we weren't expecting to.

Posted 12/05/2011

The Ballad of White Boy Bob in "Out of Sight" (1998)

George Clooney again, though this time he isn't the cause of the death in question -- or is he? If master criminal Jack Foley (Clooney) hadn't been at the top of the staircase, then White Boy Bob (Keith Loneker) wouldn't have had to ascend the staircase, and he wouldn't have tripped, and‚ well, see for yourself. "Out of Sight" has the distinct honor of being the film that transitioned art house auteur Steven Soderbergh into the realm of big-time, big-budget Hollywood -- this sexy crime thriller based on the novel by Elmore Leonard was his first of many collaborations with Clooney. Too bad White Boy Bob couldn't come along for the ride.

Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Wed 07 Dec 2011, 02:48

Again, the look on his face! I loved Don in Out of Sight too!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Wed 07 Dec 2011, 03:13

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this film, but I caught it on TV the other night and couldn't change the channel. The entire cast is wonderful, and since the love scene has been discussed (I'm going to call it a tie between OOS and Solaris for my favorite love scene), my other favorites are: Don, George, Albert Brooks and another actor in the prison library; the opening bank robbery; and pretty much every scene Steve Zahn is in. IMO, Jennifer Lopez peaked with this film. Elmore Leonard wrote a sequel that picks up where the original left off, with Jack in the back of the prison van heading back to Florida. I just started reading it, but it's fun to imagine these actors reprising their roles, although I'm sure it would never happen on film. Too bad, that would have been fun.
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Wed 07 Dec 2011, 03:37

I agree Missa, but with everyone so much "older", I wonder how they'd account for that. Let us know how the book is when you're finished.
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna on Thu 17 May 2012, 20:01

Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna on Thu 17 May 2012, 20:03

Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Thu 17 May 2012, 22:01

thanks Very Happy for those too Smile
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Thu 17 May 2012, 22:34

Love that movie!!!!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 17:59

'Out Of Sight' 15th Anniversary: George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez & Their Sexy Truck Scene (GIFS)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/out-of-sight-anniversary_n_3492004.html
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 19:20

15 already!
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 20:14

Elmore Leonard who wrote the novel Out of Sight that the movie is based upon died today at age 87.  This reviewer reposted his original review as it was one of his first.  It is very comprehensive and a great tribute.  Elmore Leonard was a masterful storyteller.  RIP:

Goodnight, Elmore Leonard
Posted on August 20, 2013 by Walter Biggins
In honor of Dutch’s life and death, I’m reposting one of the first pieces I wrote for this blog, about one of my favorite movies, which is an adaptation of his novel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1998. Directed by Steven Soderbergh. Starring George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez, Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Steve Zahn, Viola Davis, Dennis Farina, Albert Brooks, and Michael Keaton.

As Out of Sight begins, George Clooney rips the tie off his neck and throws it to the ground. In a flourish both funny and poetic, Steven Soderbergh freezes the frame—just for a brief moment—exactly at the height of Clooney’s fury. The frozen frame shows a red blur (the tie) held high above the actor’s crazed glare, his body contorted to such a degree that we realize that every ounce of hatred he’s ever had is going into this motion.

It’s among the first of many moments in which Soderbergh will stop the movie’s propulsion, as if he’s telling you to keep alert and stay attentive for any flicker of movement—that cinematic blink might hold the key to a character’s soul. Right there, sixty seconds into the movie, he’s attuned your eyes and your mind to flickers, blinks, and quiet details that you’ll miss if you don’t pay attention. Like Clooney’s throw, it’s a belligerent, almost arrogant, challenge, but Soderbergh’s gesture is aimed directly at the audience.

It’s telling that, for all the smooth switches in time and narrative structure, the freeze frame is employed rarely in Out of Sight, and is used less and less frequently as the movie progresses. Soderbergh’s so light on his feet here that he’s trained you, at the movie’s outset, to freeze and absorb, so the movie doesn’t have to.

Good thing, too—Out of Sight moves at a rapid clip. Its menacing, hilarious humor glances at you sideways, and comes from quick mutters and half-glimpsed facial expressions—only one actor, Steve Zahn, does much slapstick, and the broad humor he projects is the movie’s indication that the character is too moronic to act with subtlety. There are several plots being juggled—a heist, a prison break, a kidnapping, a love story, a reckoning with the onset of middle age—and the movie skips lightly through themes, and several time periods, without confusing the viewer.

Sheer hilarity is smeared with blood, and the bursts of violence are as startling as they are brief and muted. For all the speed of its action, Out of Sight swings lightly and casually, brimming over with the confidence exuded by its two leads, George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez. Clooney’s been called the Cary Grant of his generation, because of his easy-does-it physicality, his absurdly gorgeous face, and his complete comfort in his skin. He’s comfortable being a man and he radiates manliness—but not machismo. He’s that rare breed whose natural grace and sexuality doesn’t daunt him. He doesn’t hide behind it or feel ashamed of it, as did Marlon Brando, but he also doesn’t exude a sense of entitlement about it. He’s confident, but not smug. Like Grant, Clooney is a natural comedian, whether in broad cartoonery (see Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?) or here in Out of Sight, where the chuckles come from near-undetectable changes in inflection and near-invisible gestures. Despite the fact that he’s a bank robber and Jennifer Lopez is a federal marshal trying to catch him, it’s clear why she’s nuts about him. And vice versa.

Smart as a whip, tough without being sassy, steely without being soulless, Lopez is terrific here. Her wit is more brittle and acerbic than Clooney’s, fitting a character that chomps on Nicorette gum and who’s in an anxiety-fueled relationship with a married man. She’s sexy because she moves and speaks like a woman, as opposed to a teenage girl—she dresses stylishly and sleekly, but with an adult’s sense of taste. (Note how many American romantic comedies have their heroines bumping into things, having “wardrobe malfunctions” played for laughs, and generally acting like gawky, unsure teenagers.) Lopez loves her man, but has been around long enough to know how this relationship is likely to end. Like most adults, she’s immersed in her career and its advancement as much as her love life. (How often did the women of Sex and the City ever grouse seriously about their jobs?).

Even her body feels fully formed. There’s the much-discussed Jennifer Lopez ass, but it’s her entire presence as a volupté that resonates. Her body takes up space in the world, and she’s not trying to shrink it down or hide it. She understands how beautiful she is, and why. Her flirtations with Clooney ring true because the dialogue, with its hesitations and initial awkwardness, feels like a conversation between two adults, and not the sappy post-adolescent goo of most romantic comedies.

All of the dialogue, in fact, sings. Since the movie is based on an Elmore Leonard novel, this isn’t a surprise. Soderbergh plants great running jokes that build on themselves, so that the payoff for a joke often comes twenty minutes after its inception. Narrative twists and character revelations percolate, so that you have a firm sense of a character’s nature and the space s/he takes up in the movie. Even Zahn, the clear buffoon of the movie, is introduced through a hilarious phone conversation between Clooney and his ex-wife (Catherine Keener)—we’re prepared for him long before we actually see him.

What most impresses me about the movie is its conversation between races and genders. Clooney and Ving Rhames have a natural, rhythmic friendship that never devolves into liberal piety. Black character actors—among them are greats Rhames, Viola Davis, Don Cheadle, and Isaiah Washington—don’t all speak in the same narrow vocal register or level of diction; black folks, even minor characters, are allowed room to stretch out. When Lopez and Clooney woo each other, we don’t have to see them to understand how they feel—the tone is so thorough and well-conceived that Out of Sight could almost be a radio play.

But then we’d miss Soderbergh’s wonderful use of color. The Miami of the movie’s first half is drenched in sunlit oranges and pastel yellows, and the camera saunters like the overcooked populace. As the plot gets (slightly) darker in tone, so does the color tone. Out of Sight’s Detroit, cast in sludgy brown ice and stark blue hues, feels cold and foreboding. The contrast between the two cities is striking, and the film blessedly doesn’t try to make them move in visually similar ways.

When Clooney and Lopez sip bourbon and flirt wantonly in a hotel bar, however, the two strains come together beautifully. Lopez’s honey-skinned face, candlelit and lovely, looks out a window at white snowflakes and their pale blue reflections on the glass—they blend into the city’s night lights so that I can’t tell the difference between the two. It’s a gorgeous scene, most of all because it shows that Soderbergh could have made Detroit look warm and friendly, but decided not to. He’s always conscious and careful with his cinematic choices, and wants the viewer to be just as careful watching the movie, even though it’s supposedly just a genre flick. His style is so offhandedly graceful that I don’t mind. In fact, I’m grateful.

http://quietbubble.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/goodnight-elmore-leonard/

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 20:25

Very sad indeed
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 22:12

Sad, yes

But thanks for the article
Surely G was really happy to read it, at the time Smile
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 22:27

BBC...."The Dickens of Detroit"...Cool...
What Would He Say
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Sun 22 Dec 2013, 22:47

Out of Sight is on now on Showtime and I JUST realized that Michael Keaton - "the first Batman" and George "the guy who almost killed the Batman franchise" as George likes to describe his turn with the black cape and winged car - are both in this film.

I wonder if George had anything to do with that (as in it was an inside joke) or if it was just kismet casting?
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis on Sun 22 Dec 2013, 23:12

Don't remember Michael Keaton in it, what part did he play?
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Sun 22 Dec 2013, 23:13

FBI man
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Sun 22 Dec 2013, 23:39

Yes, he had a small part as Jennifer Lopez's boyfriend who wore (even off duty) a t-shirt with FBI emblazoned on it!

[Ray is wearing an "FBI" t-shirt]
Marshall Sisco: Hey Ray, do you ever wear one that says "undercover"?
Ray Nicolet: [pause] No.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120780/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 00:19

LornaDoone wrote:Out of Sight is on now on Showtime and I JUST realized that Michael Keaton - "the first Batman" and George "the guy who almost killed the Batman franchise" as George likes to describe his turn with the black cape and winged car - are both in this film.  

I wonder if George had anything to do with that (as in it was an inside joke) or if it was just kismet casting?

Michael played the same character in Jackie Brown, another adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel that was released the previous year.  The character was also in the Out of Sight novel, so they just kept the same actor when translating to film.
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 02:35

It was deliberate but not from George's side - I think it's the only time when the same person played the same role in two totally different (ie unrelated) film productions.
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 04:12

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I saw that on IMDB but it just confused me didn't understand why the same character name was coming up under Jackie Brown too!
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 00:08

hathaross

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 05:50

fainting Not worthy
it's me