George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action

+23
silly girl
cindigirl
fava
lolo"layla"
Missa
premiere
zizi
dakota007
sadDonkey
blubelle
macs
Cinderella
marina
MyGirlKylie
Lighterside
pattygirl
it's me
sandeepmanral
Dexterdidit
Atalante
melbert
PigLove
Katiedot
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action Empty Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action

Post by Katiedot Fri 04 Mar 2011, 15:29

Thanks to Henway for this one. Does Variety pay its writers by the word or is there another reason why they seem to be writing in telegram-ese?

From Variety

Posted: Thu., Mar. 3, 2011

Clooney's 'Ides of March' dated for awards run

Political thriller bows Oct. 14, expands through holidays

By Andrew Stewart

Sony has dated George Clooney's adaptation of political thriller "The Ides of March," set for limited release on Oct. 14.

Pic's fall berth is timed for a potential awards push, and to benefit from increased moviegoing among adult auds. Film expands through the holidays to build word-of-mouth, with plans to go wide in January.

Clooney directs from a script he co-wrote with Grand Heslov. He also stars in the film, based on Broadway play "Farragut North," about a young press spokesman, played by Ryan Gosling, who falls prey to backroom politics. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei Jeffrey Wright and Evan Rachel Wood are also starring.

Sony nabbed U.S. distribution rights to "March" in November, with Exclusive Media Group, headed by co-chairs Guy East and Nigel Sinclair, handling overseas distribution.

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action Empty Re: Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action

Post by Katiedot Fri 04 Mar 2011, 15:31

Aaaaand then there's this one:

From LA Times

Awards Tracker

All things Oscars, Emmys, Grammys and Tonys

Poll: What will win best picture at next year's Oscars?

March 3, 2011

Here are some of the leading contenders in the next Oscar derby. Which one is most likely to win?

"A Dangerous Method" -- David Cronenberg tackles the interplay between Sigmund Freud (Viggo Mortensen) and Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender), which leads to the creation of psychoanalysis.

"The Descendents" -- A land baron tries to reconnect with his two daughters after his wife is in a boating accident. Directed by Alexander Payne ("Sideways"). Stars George Clooney, Beau Bridges, Judy Greer.

"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" — Stephen Daldry directs Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock in the tale of a 9-year-old boy who searches for a lock that will connect with a key left by his father, who was killed in the Sept. 11 tragedy.

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" — David Fincher adapts the hit Swedish thriller. Stars Daniel Craig, Robin Wright and Christopher Plummer.

"Hugo Cabret" — Martin Scorsese's first foray into 3-D. Adventures of an orphan boy who secretly lives behind the walls of a Paris train station in the 1930s. Cast includes Sacha Baron Cohen, Jude Law and Ben Kingsley.

"The Ides of March" — George Clooney directs, writes and stars in this drama about an idealistic staffer for a newbie presidential candidate who gets a crash course in dirty politics. Also stars Marisa Tomei and Philip Seymour Hoffman.
"J. Edgar" — Biopic of FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer and Naomi Watts. Directed by Clint Eastwood.

"Moneyball" – Bennett Miller ("Capote") directs Brad Pitt and Philip Seymour Hoffman in the story of Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to put together a baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to draft his players.

"The Tree of Life" – Brad Pitt and Sean Penn star in Terrence Malick's long-delayed drama. Plot details are sketchy, but Malick says it's about "the evolution of an 11-year-old boy in the Midwest" during the 1950s.

"War Horse" – Steven Spielberg directs the tale of a boy who risks the dangers of World War I to rescue his horse, which was hauled off to serve in the cavalry.

"Young Adult" – A divorced writer from the Midwest returns to her hometown to reconnect with an old flame, who's now married with a family. "Juno" director Jason Reitman and writer Diablo Cody team up again. Stars Charlize Theron and Patrick Wilson.

— Tom O'Neil
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action Empty Re: Clooney's 2012 Oscar award campaign gears into action

Post by PigLove Fri 04 Mar 2011, 17:35

Yay! A Clooney Oscar night. I'll start stocking up on champagne and drafting my guest list. Let's see, Pigs in blankets or brownies? What the heck...BOTH!

OSCAR PARTAY!!!
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 04 Mar 2011, 18:02

Count me in!! Whatcha want me to bring? drunken Cheerleader Drink 3
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Fri 04 Mar 2011, 18:59

"A Dangerous Method" -- David Cronenberg tackles the interplay between Sigmund Freud (Viggo Mortensen) and Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender), which leads to the creation of psychoanalysis.

Now this izzzz interesting. LOL!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Fri 04 Mar 2011, 23:03

I wonder if he will do some interviews and premieres to help things along. It would be great if he did!
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 04 Mar 2011, 23:14

I would think as producer/director/actor that he would. What makes me wonder is if he does do interviews for this, what will future projects involve? If he "just" acts in something and is not producing or directing and doesn't do interviews for that, will people be so quick to involve him in their projects if they know he's not going to promote it? I know he's GEORGE CLOONEY, but if he doesn't promote a project that you've worked long and hard on, would he be wanted in the next one? JMO
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by sandeepmanral Mon 03 Oct 2011, 08:42

George Clooney will be nominated for Best Actor.

sandeepmanral
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:24

amico porti rogna (I'm a bit superstitious)
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 14:29

Perhaps, but I'm not so sure. It's really RG's movie. George is not the "star". He hopefully will get a Best Director nod, and maybe Best Picture.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Mon 03 Oct 2011, 14:42

Well pattygirl he could get the nom for Best Actor in The Descendents. In a perfect world, I'm hoping for Best Director for Ides and Best Actor for The Descendents.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 15:57

Agree with your choices, lighter. Everyone was talking about IOM so I only responded to that.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by MyGirlKylie Mon 03 Oct 2011, 17:18

Lighterside wrote:Well pattygirl he could get the nom for Best Actor in The Descendents. In a perfect world, I'm hoping for Best Director for Ides and Best Actor for The Descendents.

Keeping my fingers crossed for this outcome as well.
MyGirlKylie
MyGirlKylie
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by marina Mon 03 Oct 2011, 17:56

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm a Clooney fan but I'm a realist person.
I really think that IOM will be nominated as Best Picture and maybe best Director.
I also think that Clooney will be nominated for Best actor but, sorry, i don't think that this is the year that he'll take the Oscar.
I believe that he worked right and did a great movie but...
My bet fot the best Picture is Cronenberg's Dangerous Method and for best Actor i think it will be decided between
Michael Fassbender ( my favorite choice)
Ryan Gosling
And, why not, Leo Di Caprio.
We don't see much about Eastwood's J.Edgar but Leo's is looking for his own best Actor's Oscar with Hoover character and i think he will be a surprise, too.

marina
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 18:11

marina, have you seen these pictures?

IMO, not having seen any of the performances or pics you mentioned, I don't see how you can make a judgement in any of the categories.

We are hopefully all realists but hopes are not always based that way. We are hoping that George is nominated for Best Director and Best Picture and Ryan for Best Actor for IOM. We also hope that George gets the Best Actor nom for The Descendant. Doesn't everyone who is interested in a movie, actor or director, hope for the same think? Once IOM comes out, we'll have a better "reality" to judge its merits.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by marina Mon 03 Oct 2011, 19:11

marina, have you seen these pictures?

IMO, not having seen any of the performances or pics you mentioned, I don't see how you can make a judgement in any of the categories
@ Pattygirl
Yes, I can!
There was a lot of screening for criticals and press, journalists and we are reading about IOM for a long time, as well for the others movies.
Even New Kid posted her impressions about IOM. It was a Shakespeare play, Julius Caesar, who became Farraguth North and Clooney /Grant re-write in a good way. It's a well know story.
In the same way Cronenberg's movie ( Cronenberg is a wonderful director) Dangerous Method also brings a well know story that always makes people wondering about.
The tringle Freud/Jung/Sabina is a subject that is discussing in human sciences for a long time. it's a story about desires, fears, human relantionships, the boards between science and fellings, love and hate, impulses of life and dead, etc. Also, the cast is perfect. Last three weeks the entertainment press in Brazil,are all over Cronenberg's movie as well Europe press is talking very good about Dangerous Method, and Europe viewers always prefer "arstistic movies with deep subjects" !
Fassbender, well Fassbender is f***good actor. He is intense, deep, a wonderful new blood in the film industry.
About Leo, anyone knows that leo is looking for an Best actor Oscar's for a long time. His character, J. Edgar is that role that claims for an oscar. A public and controverse figure, with deep secrets about his sexuality with an huge power over the society, politicals issues...and it is a Clint Eastwood movie.
Ryan Gosling is a new and welcome new blood , too. And I believe when New Kid said that: "Gosling won the movie".
So, i'll keep my bets and my best wishes for George

marina
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 19:23

Please can you tell me New Kid posted that IOM was a Shakespeare play,
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by marina Mon 03 Oct 2011, 19:48

@ pattygirl
I don't wrote that !
i don't wrote that NK said that IOM was based on Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. I wrote that the play Farraguth North was based in Julius Caesar from Shakespeare and Clooney/Grant re-write the script.
Everybody knows that!
"Beware of Ides of March" is a well know expression, that people often use when refering a betrayal. The expression cames from Julius Caesar play refering to the betrayal and murder of Emperor Julius Caesar that happened in March. Farraguth North is the adaptation in an American scenario. As well IOM develops the story in American political/elections scenario but the center of Shakespeare play is there:
dirty politicals games, betrayal, same references from Julius caesar play because they are re-adapting Shakespeare in an actual scenario.

marina
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 20:38

I know all that. Unforetunately, sometimes the differences in speech patterns make it difficult to understand. I read over your statement several times and still was of the opinion you said that NK said that it was Shakespeare play.
It has been mentioned several times that IOM is a modern day version of Julius Caesar. I know all the retoric involved. I don't really need a lecture.
All you had to say was that NK didn't say that and that it was your own statement.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Mon 03 Oct 2011, 20:54

Well… when it comes to choosing best director they use a lot more than the script to make to a decision. They take into account actor direction, framing, and camera level including lighting. So, for someone to predict early, before watching the film, is choosing to ignore the facts about how a film is made. IMHO

No offense, Marina! Hug1
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 21:00

Well said, Cindy. I agree completely. It's a long time till Oscars and we'll have to wait and see. Thumbs up!
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by marina Mon 03 Oct 2011, 21:36

@ Cinderella
is it a discussion blog, isn't?
Why we can share our fellings, predictions about awards and talk about it?
Don't worry i don't intend to comment about my idiots thougths/ impressions/ predictions on this blog!

marina
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by marina Mon 03 Oct 2011, 21:37

All you had to say was that NK didn't say that and that it was your own statement

@Pattygirl

First:
I love New Kid, I miss her comments and her presence in this blog, i felt for all the troubles that she had in the past, and I'm really grateful that she shared with us her impressions about the conference.

Second:
I'm Brazilian and you know that! I tried to do my best all this time to express myself but is the first time in blogs that someone says to me how i should to write pointing the words that I need to use.
First, you said that I cannot comment about my own Oscars predictions /impressions bc I didn't see the movies then you pointed how I should pick the words to write something...i avoid the threads about Stacy and Eli by my own reasons ( I also had a mess in the past concerning to my comments on Miss Canalis) so I decided that I don't want to comment about the girlfriends...but looks like I cannot comment in any thread at all!
Thank you so much
I'm going to the "lurking world"

marina
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 21:54

I never said you couldn't comment, I just questioned how you could do it without having seen the movies. I never told you what you should say, all I said was that you only had to tell me NK hadn't said it but didn't. Instead you decided to lecture me on IOM and its ties to Shakespeare.
I never told you what words to use, what words to write. I never even implied anything like that.
We seem to have a sort of language barrier and I'm sorry that your words and mine, have made a problem. I had no intention to cause one. Please don't leave the posting world at COH because of me. I'll make it easy for you. I won't respond to any of your posts in the future so that there can be no miscommunication between us. Smile
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Tue 04 Oct 2011, 00:01

Ditto... I only explained how they judge a directors efforts. I didn’t say anything against Marina except “no offense” because I respected her opinion. I was explaining why I will wait until I see the film to decide what kind of director he is on this film. I guess I should have left that out… scratch
Cinderella
Cinderella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Oct 2011, 02:56

As far as I am concerned, someone does not need to watch a movie to have predictions. That's why many of these movies are shown in festivals, so critics and audience can give their input to their artists and most of the time, the critics get it right. I have not see any raven reviews about ides of march. They say it's good, but they are not in love with it, well but some of the critics could be overshadow by the attention to George's bed current interest. I have read many more enthusiastic interviews about The descendants and shame, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Tue 04 Oct 2011, 03:07

Yes LL, I perceive how you would feel. Ya know, before Stacy, this forum was nice and fun except for a few Eli “busters” and now it’s seems like some are a little sensitive. I wonder why? I dunno
Cinderella
Cinderella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Oct 2011, 04:34

No idea Cinderella. But some of us are sensitive to the point of being insensitive towards others. I've seen Katie intervene for a lot less than that.

Last edited by LouisLane on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 04:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 04 Oct 2011, 04:58

LouisLane wrote:As far as I am concerned, someone does not need to watch a movie to have predictions.
Predictions yes, but those predictions would be based on opinions from other people who had seen the film. A movie may sound wonderful (that's why each film has a publicist and marketing department) but who knows whether it's turned out the way it should unless they've seen it?

IMO the reason these films are being shown at so many film festivals and private screenings is to ensure that the people who vote at awards have seen the film.

New Kid thought Gosling deserved an Oscar after she'd seen his performance. Here in the forum we can only look at other people's predictions and then hope for George, which is what I think we're all doing in this thread.

That's what we all want in the end, isn't it? An oscar (or two) for George, right?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Oct 2011, 05:26

IMO the reason these films are being shown at so many film festivals and private screenings is to ensure that the people who vote at awards have seen the film.
Exactly. You can base your opinion (before hand) if one of the critics you think is accurate in impartial (most of the time). Besides, you can predict or hope is much as you want, but We DON'T vote. I think Marina based her predictions on critics from Venice film festival and TIFF and (others). So far Ides of March has not impressed the audiences (those who actually vote).

I don't know how people hope for him to win, if he said himself he is not expecting an OScar, he already won one. Didn't he say that? he prefers to have a filmography that will impact cinema for years to come, that's what you should "hope" for it. Sometimes, a great movie comes out at the same time as many great movies and the votes are diluted out...

I will give my prediction after my participation on NYFF, Smile. Although Ides of March won't have any screening there, but I will see A dangerous method, shame, etc. But I do think what Marina said, it's basic what the critics have said. Things can change, but not too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by macs Wed 05 Oct 2011, 08:28

From the festivals, it seems that The Descendants is getting the more enthusiasm, so a best actor nom (and award?) is to be expected. He's been nominated regularly these past years after all, he’s getting unavoidable LOL. And he seems to be in the top spot so far (well waiting for De Caprio as Hoover, people talk about it though nobody's seen it yet)
Of course I haven't seen it but reviews for TIOM (may not all be great but) are actually good : he's confirmed as a good director, the script is good, cast is good... Nomination or not he hasn't missed his point. It took him a long time and a lot of work to get to where he's as an actor, he's taking the same pass as a director, I bet he's just gonna get better and end up as one of the best in the list.
For both films I guess we'll have to wait and see for the others festivals and how well thy do with the public, but so far I'll bet more on an actor nom. for the Descendants.
macs
macs
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Wed 05 Oct 2011, 16:16

I think if he had to choose he would take a directing oscar over acting. He keeps talking about that being his future and winning would make his future projects so much easier to get made.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 06 Jan 2012, 20:51

I can't believe that the Oscars rumours for Ides of March started way back in . . . March! The film was released when? October/November some time?

watching wrote:Damn he wants that oscar doesn't he? Making himself all accessible like this - especially after the shared covers and the signing up to do the Prop 8 play. Mr Superstar is playing down the superstar and angling for Hollywood nice guy. Will that help him won votes though?
Just replying to a post made on another thread because it seems relevant here. George makes this big hue and cry about how he doesn't want to run an Oscar's campaign and yet that seems to be exactly what he's doing now.

I mean, covers for Esquire, Vanity Fair, Entertainment Weekly, complete with in depth interviews. Personal appearances at just about every film festival on the planet. Did we even know half of these fests even existed before George suddenly went to them this year?!

The one that really turned my stomach though was the Entertainment Weekly thing. He goes on about how surprised and saddened he is over how difficult things are for women in the film industry. I understand he's campaigning so hard for his precious oscar that he has to cover every demographic but this one was too much for me.

He can make statements about most issues and I'm happy to listen to him, but feminism? That's one area he falls seriously short on.

If he feels so strongly about the plight of women in Hollywood, where are all those good meaty roles for women in the three films he's made to date? Oh yeah, there aren't any; they're all boy's club stuff. What about behind the scenes? Is he engaging and encouraging female writers? camera operators? assistant directors? I don't think so.

In his personal life he shows that he considers women largely disposable and unimportant. Ten years of dating nothing but pole dancers, strippers, lingerie models, porn actresses and cocktail waitresses - most of them young enough to be his daughter - doesn't exactly speak about a man who gives a shit about women, other than they be pliant, compliant and powerless.

He may think he believes he cares, but in reality his actions bely his words.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sadDonkey Fri 06 Jan 2012, 21:39

Thumbs up! 10 out of 10 Yeah Right

sadDonkey
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Location : Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, ...

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 06 Jan 2012, 22:27

I guess you are right
K

discordant
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by dakota007 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 22:43

well his three movies doesn't give him much choice right??what about leatherheads?? wasn't about a woman who works on manly job?? and again everytime he say something you talk about his Gf's!! he sleeps with the woman he wants to sleep with!! he doesn't treat them badly and give them everthing they want... i don't know why do want him to chang that?? it is his buss.
dakota007
dakota007
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Fri 06 Jan 2012, 22:52

Excellent comment Katie. You got it sooo right. Nothing to add nothing to substract. 10 out of 10

zizi

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 06 Jan 2012, 22:58

buss?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by premiere Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:05

Wow, Katie, you nailed this one right on the head! If anything is going to stop me from being a GC fan, this issue is it. I've felt for years now that he must have a very low opinion of women. It's cliche but true - actions speak so much louder than words.

premiere
premiere
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:10

ma cosa vuol dire buss?

I found kiss... scratch
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:14

premiere wrote:Wow, Katie, you nailed this one right on the head! If anything is going to stop me from being a GC fan, this issue is it. I've felt for years now that he must have a very low opinion of women. It's cliche but true - actions speak so much louder than words.

Yeah Right Thumbs up!

zizi

Back to top Go down

Post by dakota007 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:16

busniss(sp?)it's me hhhhh..
dakota007
dakota007
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:33

lo sospettavo Rolling Eyes

better K I S S Love2
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:34

ciao Dakota!
bella foto di G
nice pic! I love you
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by dakota007 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:36

ciao sweeti!!thanks! jocolor
dakota007
dakota007
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 06 Jan 2012, 23:51

you're welcome Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 07 Jan 2012, 00:41

He's actually made four movies - Confessions, Good Night and Good Luck, Leatherheads, and Ides (although I always forget about Leatherheads, or maybe "repress" is a better word Wink ). Confessions and Leatherheads had decent roles for women. Both were written by someone else (although George did play a large role in rewriting Leatherheads, the original story was by another author). The two films he has written were, as celebitchy put it in what is my new favorite phrase, "sausage-fests".

George himself has said that he has a very short window of opportunity to get the films he wants to see made, made. A look at his IMDB page, particularly under the producer credit, shows a long list of films with large ensemble casts, the majority of which are male. It's nice that he's concerned, but he's in a position to address those issues, and he chooses not to.

The point Katie made about hiring women for behind the scenes positions is a great one. I remember when George had his first production company when he was still on ER, I think it was called Maysville. He actually said in an interview at the time that he hired a lot of women when he was getting up and running, because by Hollywood standards, he could pay them less than men. (Please don't ask me where or when this interview was, since it was at least 10-12 years ago, but I can't be the only one here who remembers it, right?) Anyway, not exactly the torchbearer for feminism even then.

One last gripe: the whole "I don't do Oscar campaigns anymore" (see EW interview) in the middle of an obvious Oscar campaign really, really needs to stop.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 07 Jan 2012, 01:04

Rolling Eyes
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 07 Jan 2012, 03:50

dakota007 wrote:well his three movies doesn't give him much choice right??
Eh? How do you work that out? He has 100% choice about all four films that he made and in all four of them he didn't do a lot for women.

He chose to make four films that were mostly about men, starring men, doing men's stuff. That's not criticism, by the way. They were very good films (well ok, I probably could have lived without Leatherheads) and I enjoyed them all. There's no reason at all why he has to be the one who pushes forward women in his films but then he doesn't have the right to criticise others for not doing something that he hasn't done either when he had the chance.

dakota007 wrote:what about leatherheads?? wasn't about a woman who works on manly job??
Renee Zellwegger's role was the stereotyped girlfriend character that the main characters fight over. Women in Hollywood complain over and over again that the only roles open to them are as wives and girlfriends, ie: the side dish in the meal and not the main course. Renee's role was exactly that: the pretty bit of fluff who gives the main characters in the film a reason for doing stuff.

dakota007 wrote:and again everytime he say something you talk about his Gf's!! he sleeps with the woman he wants to sleep with!! he doesn't treat them badly and give them everthing they want... i don't know why do want him to chang that?? it is his buss.
Here's where we agree. Who he sleeps with and what he does with women is completely his business. For me, his taste in women is one of his few character flaws but that generally doesn't bother me that much; it is what it is.

There's only this: he shouldn't start talking about feminism and how terrible things are for women when he himself shows he has little respect for women.

He can't have it both ways. It's the same as a man who owns a cigarette factory saying smoking is bad. If that factory owner really believed smoking was bad he wouldn't be selling cigarettes to people.

Last edited by Katiedot on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 07:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : and another thing!)
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 07 Jan 2012, 04:02

Oh Katie, you are SO right on!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next