George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
UN to send more troops to South Sudan EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

UN to send more troops to South Sudan

2 posters

Go down

UN to send more troops to South Sudan Empty UN to send more troops to South Sudan

Post by chiki Thu 26 Dec 2013, 12:41

UN to send more troops to South Sudan
Fresh fighting erupts as UN humanitarian chief warns that thousands of South Sudanese might have been killed.

The United Nations Security Council has approved plans to almost double the number of UN peacekeepers in South Sudan.

The 15-member council unanimously authorised on Wednesday a request by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to boost the strength of the UN mission in South Sudan to 12,500 troops and 1,323 police - up from its previous mandate of 7,000 troops and 900 police.

On Wednesday, the government said that South Sudanese troops were fighting to stop rebels loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar taking control of the major oil producing Upper Nile state capital, Malakal.

"There has been heavy fighting between the forces loyal to Dr Riek Machar and the government forces (in Malakal)," presidential spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny told the Reuters news agency by phone.

Ateny said Upper Nile oil fields, which produce about 200,000 barrels of oil per day, were far away from Malakal and under government control. "The oil fields are safe," he said.

Government forces have recaptured the strategic central town of Bor from forces loyal to Machar, but battles raged elsewhere including in Malakal.

Machar's forces still hold Bentiu, capital of the key oil-producing state of Unity.

An AFP correspondent who visited Bor on Wednesday said bodies littered the streets and stores were looted, with occasional gunshots still ringing out even as civilians poured back into the town.

Earlier on Wednesday, the top UN humanitarian chief in the country said thousands of South Sudanese have been killed in the week-long violence, giving the first clear indication of the scale of conflict engulfing the young nation.
"Absolutely no doubt in my mind that we're into the thousands" of dead, Toby Lanzer told reporters on Tuesday.

Western powers and east African states, keen to prevent more chaos in a fragile region, have tried to mediate between President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Machar, who was vice president until Kiir sacked him in July.

More deaths feared

The official death toll has stood at 500 for days, although numbers are feared to be far higher, with some estimating at least 1,000.

Hilde Johnson, head of the UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan told Al Jazeera on Tuesday that "terrible atrocities have been committed and perpetrators will have to be held accountable."

She said the situation "will turn into a large scale humanitarian crisis if the violence does not stop."

The United Nations mission in South Sudan on Wednesday denied a report of a mass grave that was issued by the office of a UN Commissioner for Human Rights.

The Berlin office of UN rights chief Navi Pillay on Tuesday said a grave of 75 bodies was found in Bentiu, Unity State. Later the office revised that figure to 34 bodies and 75 people feared missing.

The UN mission in South Sudan said on Wednesday that the report was an inflation of a "skirmish" that killed 15 people. UNMISS said it is still "deeply concerned" about extrajudicial killings and is investigating those reports.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called the ethnic attacks a "grave violation of human rights" and reiterated that those responsible would be "held accountable".

Fighting has spread to half of the nation's 10 states, with hundreds of thousands fleeing to the countryside, prompting warnings of an imminent humanitarian disaster.

Machar said, for the first time, on Tuesday that he was ready to accept a Kiir offer of talks, suggesting neighbouring Ethiopia as a neutral location.

Machar's promise of talks came shortly before the army stormed Bor town, which Information Minister Michael Makwei called a "gift of the government of South Sudan to the people".

Bor's capture, apparently without major resistance by the rebels, relieves some 17,000 besieged civilians who fled into the overstretched UN peacekeeping compound for protection, severely stretching limited food and supplies.

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(There was a video at the top. It's very explicit, so I've deleted. Although I posted it with a warning, I think , this is not my forum, so I won't post it unless the admins give me permission. Sorry if I bothered someone
If someone wants to watch it, on the link, the first video.)

Last edited by chiki on Thu 26 Dec 2013, 13:53; edited 1 time in total

chiki
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

UN to send more troops to South Sudan Empty Re: UN to send more troops to South Sudan

Post by chiki Thu 26 Dec 2013, 13:03

this map shows the humanitarian crisis, updated yesterday.
(Via UNOCHA)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

chiki
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

UN to send more troops to South Sudan Empty Re: UN to send more troops to South Sudan

Post by Mazy Fri 27 Dec 2013, 03:52

Sad to say the deaths are now way into the thousands. My fear is taking troops away from other hot spots is going to give an opening for more trouble in those areas like Durfur.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down