George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’

3 posters

Go down

Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ Empty Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’

Post by Katiedot Wed 18 Dec 2013, 11:23

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’

Scientist Neil DeGrasse-Tyson went on quite a Twitter rant after seeing Alfonso Cuaron’s ‘Gravity’ this summer’s sleeper hit starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. You can read DeGrasse-Tyson’s tirade here.

The director has remained mum regarding this and other criticisms of his sci-fi thriller, but he finally opened up about it in an interview with Entertainment Weekly:

“It is [accurate]! I mean, maybe those people did not realize that Sandra Bullock is not an astronaut in real life. We tried to be as accurate as possible in the frame of our fiction. And the funny thing is that we get the criticism from people on Earth, but astronauts love the film. They say it’s the closest thing to being in space. That we have things that are not accurate? Of course — and actually, we know about them. And we chose to disregard those things, because we wanted first of all to honor the emotional journey of the film. The funny thing in all of these things — nobody has picked up on the most obvious one. And that is that when Sandra takes off her astronaut suit, she would be wearing an adult diaper. And obviously, we chose not to do that. And the same thing with the orbital planes and stuff. We chose not to do that. It’s a movie. It’s a movie!”

Despite the shaky reaction, the film turned into a surprise hit this summer, serving as a more subtle alternative to the fast-paced action norm. I don’t see anyone dissecting ‘Thor: The Dark World’ over its scientific inaccuracy. At no point was ‘Gravity’ sold as a documentary or “based on a true story.”

As an aside, can I just point out that in movies that are based on true stories, the people are always MUCH, MUCH more attractive?

Are you willing to overlook inaccurate elements in favor of entertainment value? Or would you prefer movie makers take a more realistic approach?

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ Empty Re: Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’

Post by silly girl Wed 18 Dec 2013, 12:04

It is a fiction story and not a documentary so I would overlook it...besides most wouldn't notice it.....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’ Empty Re: Director Alfonso Cuaron Responds To Scientific Critics About ‘Gravity’

Post by Katiedot Wed 18 Dec 2013, 12:57

I'm on the fence about this one; I do expect films to reflect the reality of whatever world the film is set in. On the other hand, I don't really get bent out of shape when a film set in 1936 for example features a car that didn't go into production until 1937 or whatever.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 18 Dec 2013, 14:02

I don't think anyone would want to see the realism
of "toilet procedures in space" in 3D !

Having watched documentaries filmed in space I thought Gravity captured the visual aspects brilliantly.
There are a few astronaut's positive reactions on
you tube.
Cuaron has created a "space movie classic" and it will be set as a benchmark for future endeavours in this vein IMO.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down