George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Nick Clooney Biography EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Nick Clooney Biography EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Nick Clooney Biography EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Nick Clooney Biography EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Nick Clooney Biography EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Nick Clooney Biography EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Nick Clooney Biography EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Nick Clooney Biography EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Nick Clooney Biography EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Nick Clooney Biography

+24
Atalante
lamby
Charley
lucy
fluffy
sandwiches
LornaDoone
Dexterdidit
sisieq
blubelle
Casey
cindigirl
silly girl
laetval
playfuldeb
melbert
MM
PigLove
bunny
ladydi
Vi
it's me
Merlin
Katiedot
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nick Clooney Biography Empty Nick Clooney Biography

Post by Katiedot Wed 08 Dec 2010, 12:46

Nick Clooney Bio
Nicholas Joseph Clooney is a journalist, politician, columnist, and the father of the famous American actor George Clooney.

Born: 13th of January, 1934
Place: Maysville, Kentucky, United States

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nick was born to parents Andrew and Frances Guilfoyle Clooney in Maysville, Kentucky. He had two sisters, Rosemary and Betty Clooney. His parents separated when he was four years old and spent much time with his grandmother while growing up.

Nick Clooney married Nina Warren, whom he met while judging a beauty pageant in Ohio.

Clooney's early career consisted of various television and radio jobs. He worked as a news anchorman in Lexington, Kentucky for five years, he also worked in Ohio as a radio and television presenter, and gained a national profile when he hosted the ABC game show, The Money Maze.

He is best known for his television journalism and anchor positions where he had a reputation for delivering the news in a hard, factual manner.

Clooney has been a long time columnist for the The Cincinnati Post, with his first work being published in 1989. He continues to write for the newspaper and covers a wide range of topics including politics, human rights, entertainment, and more.

Nick Clooney has also been involved in politics, when he ran for a seat in the House of Representatives. He had hoped to represent Kentucky's 4th Congressional district as a Democrat in 2004. He lost to the Republican Geoff Davis and announced shortly after the defeat, that his brief political career was over.

Nick Clooney and his son George Clooney remain very close. The couple visited the troubled region of Darfur in Sudan and worked to get the crisis noticed by those in power. They labeled the situation the "first genocide of the 21st century".

In relation to the Darfur crisis, Nick Clooney said "I have been a reporter for 50 years. Maybe three or four stories in your lifetime are life-changing and you go in as a reporter and come out as an advocate. You don't usually like to do that but this time I did.. So yes, it was life-changing."

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nick Clooney Biography Empty Re: Nick Clooney Biography

Post by Katiedot Sat 11 Dec 2010, 02:35

Adding this here as it's about Nick CLooney.

Found by Henway:
From cincinnati.com
Why Nick Clooney Almost Quit Before Beverly Hills Fire By John Klesewetter 11/12/2010 (not sure if that's 11th Dec, or 12th Nov)

This is classic Clooney, my favorite story about Nick Clooney’s days as Channel 12 anchor. CET will repeat the last two of my “Clooney on Clooney” interviews with Nick on Sunday (6-7 p.m.) from January. In the first half-hour (6 p.m., Ch 48) he talks about how Channel 12 was built into a news power in the late 1970s and eventually beat Channel 9′s Al Schottelkotte in the ratings. If you’re a Cincinnati TV news history buff, you’ll love this show, if I must say so myself.

When he came to Ch 12 news, it was in Dark Ages. The 11 p.m. news was in fourth place, behind ”Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman” on Ch 19 . Channel 9 was getting live TV trucks, and Channel 12 was still shooting on film, which had to be processed to air. Cameras would break. He talks about the team they had — JoAnn Moore, Bill Crafton, Steve Deschler, Ira Joe Fisher, Geroge Ciccarone, even Pete Rose did some sports segments. But the Beverly Hills fire on Memorial Day weekend in 1977 was the tipping point for people to check out Ch 12 news, because Ch 12 had a better picture from the fire than Ch 9.

Nick tells the great story behind the fire. Ch 12 had just gotten a live truck — but it didn’t work, because it was missing a critical part. Nick was honked off that Ch 12 was airing promos for the live truck which couldn’t be used, so he went into the general manager’s office and threatened to quit if the truck wasn’t operational by Friday…. and that was the day before the Beverly Hills Supper Club burned down.

You local TV news junkies out there will love the story… if I must say so myself.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 11 Dec 2010, 02:41

Geoff Davis (left), Republican candidate for the 4th Congressional District shakes hands with Nick Clooney, his Democratic opponent after a debate sponsored by the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce. Michael Slider, an Independent candidate, is at center. The event was held at Receptions, Boone County. Nick ran for Congress in 2004.

Democratic congressional candidate Nick Clooney (right)and his wife, Nina, laugh as fourth-graders sing "Our Guy Nick Clooney" during a rally in the Augusta Independent School gymnasium to kickoff Clooney's campaign in 2004.

Nick Clooney and son George Clooney take a 'Journey to Darfur' on AmericanLife TV.

Nick Clooney and wife Nina Clooney meet people during the VIP Reception celebrating NAACP 99th Annual convention on July 12, 2008 at Cincinnati Art Museum.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 11 Dec 2010, 02:46

Always writing his columns and correspondence in longhand, Clooney is struggling a bit with the use of a laptop computer and e-mails in 2008.

Nick and Nina Clooney at home in their Augusta, Ky., residence in 2008.

The Clooneys have a "picture" room where Nina has stapled hundreds of photos from their collection to the walls and ceiling.

The Nick Clooney Show on Channel 9, August 13, 1971.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 11 Dec 2010, 02:52

1974 headshot of Nick Clooney

1966 headshot of Nick Clooney

1986 headshot of Nick Clooney

Nick Clooney is embraced by reporter Deborah Dixon in the WKRC newsroom following the announcement that he will be leaving for KNBC in Los Angeles in this March, 1984 file photo

1973 photo of (from left) Carolyn Burke, Danny Kluener, Nick Clooney and Mrs. Kenneth Kluener in a publicity photo for a plasma donors drive for hemophiliacs.

1972 headshot of Nick Clooney
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 11 Dec 2010, 02:56

1997 photo of Nick Clooney with Diane Sawyer on an episode of "Hollywood and the NEws" on AMC

Cincinnati broadcaster Nick Clooney taping a series of broadcasts about his career at WCET in 2009

Nick Clooney auctions off picnic dinners in this Sept. 13, 1973 photo.

Nick Clooney hosts "Nostalgia," a prime-time summer series on Channel 12 in July 1974.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Dec 2010, 07:05

Nick and George Clooney Reel Journalism 2008-2009 season:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Father's Day: George Clooney's Dad:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 14 Dec 2010, 18:40

Are you going to post some of Nick's Columns Katiedot?
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Nick Clooney Biography Empty Nick Clooney news...

Post by Merlin Tue 14 Dec 2010, 21:13

Is this OK here Katiedot or should it be in with Nick's section?

Nick Clooney On ‘White Christmas’ Star Vera-Ellen
Some people were surprised to learn that both women stars of “White Christmas” were from the Cincinnati area — even Rosemary Clooney. Her brother, Nick, tells me that Rosemary and Norwood native Vera-Ellen never discussed their common Cincinnati roots during making the film in 1954. It wasn’t until they began promoting the soon-to-be Christmas classic that Rosemary asked Vera-Ellen where she was from. To which Vera-Ellen says: “It’s a place you’ve probably next heard of outside Cincinnati, called Norwood.” Rosemary had lived in Cincinnati during World War II, and made her singing debut on WLW-AM with her sister, Betty.

Nick also says reports are inaccurate that claim Vera-Ellen’s singing in “White Christmas” was dubbed by Betty. That’s what David Soren writes in his book, “Vera-Ellen: The Magic and the Mystery.” Another woman’s voice was dubbed over Vera-Ellen’s voice, the wife of a bandleader, he says. Says Nick: “Rosemary and Betty subsequently made a recording of “Sisters,” so people often think that came from the movie,” he says. I couldn’t reach Nick last week – he was out of town — so that’s not mentioned in my story. Nick never met Vera-Ellen, who died in 1981 at age 60. Rosemary died at age 74.

Here’s a link to my Sunday story about people who knew Vera-Ellen here, some of whom danced with her and Doris (Day) Kappelhoff. Click on “Photos: Vera-Ellen” to see 25 pictures of her. And here’s my Friday blog with three photos.

“White Christmas” repeats on AMC at 8 and 10:45 p.m. Thursday, and at 5:15 p.m. Friday, and three times on Christmas Eve.

For UK viewers White Christmas is on SKY 311 on Tuesday 14th December, 9.00 pm
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 15 Dec 2010, 02:32

I would but I don't have any. If anyone does have access to Nick's column (oooh-er missus!), please feel free to start a new topic and post there.

Thanks!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 21 Dec 2010, 14:40

Nina's biography of Nick....

Nick Clooney, Kentuckian and Newsman
August 28 2006
Byline: Nina Clooney
Nicholas Joseph Clooney was born Jan. 13, 1934, in Maysville, Ky. His parents, Andrew and Frances Guilfoyle Clooney, were near the end of the marital road when Nick was born. After reconciliation, they finally divorced when Nick was 4 years old.
Due to the necessity for their mother to find work in Cincinnati, Nick and his sisters Rosemary Clooney and Betty stayed in Maysville with their Grandmother Guilfoyle most of the time.
The children listened to radio broadcasts on Cincinnati station WLW, as well as other radio stations, and fell in love with the wonderful radio voices that spoke and sang to them. In their teens, they followed their dreams: Rosemary and Betty left Maysville to pursue successful singing careers and Nick took a job at age 16 at Maysville radio station WFTM, which launched a long and distinguished career in broadcasting.
The consistent thread evident in the career of Nick Clooney is communication. As a television newsman, Nick has been reporter, anchor, managing editor and news director in Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, Buffalo and Los Angeles.
As a columnist, another pursuit he has undertaken, Nick has, since 1989, contributed three columns each week to The Cincinnati Post and The Kentucky Post dealing with subjects as varied as current politics, travel and American history. Many of his articles and op-ed pieces have appeared in newspapers around the country, including the Los Angeles Times and the Salt Lake Tribune.
As an author, Nick has published three books, including "The Movies That Changed Us" in November 2002. As a TV host, Nick was for five years a daily on-air spokesman and writer for American Movie Classics cable channel (AMC). He has made scores of personal appearances coast to coast on AMC's behalf with special focus on film preservation.
Earlier, he hosted talk variety programs in Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, and was guest host on programs in New York City, Washington, D.C., Atlanta and Indianapolis. Currently, he is host for the American Life TV cable channel.
Nick has also accumulated a number of awards including one that named him one of the "best in business of television news" by the Washington Review of Journalism. He has received a regional Emmy for commentary, was thrice nominated for national Emmys for his work on AMC, and has received nearly 300 other awards.
In December 1998, Nick was presented an honorary doctorate of fine arts from Northern Kentucky University. In 2000, Nick received the President's Medal from Thomas More College, was inducted into the Cincinnati Journalism Hall of Fame by the Society of Professional Journalists, and received the Distinguished Kentuckian Award from Kentucky Broadcasters Association. In April 2001, Nick was inducted into the Kentucky Journalism Hall of Fame. In October 2005, he was inducted into the Ohio Television Hall of Fame.

Nick is married to Nina Warren of Perryville, Ky., who is a writer, inventor and television host. Their oldest child Ada, also a writer, is the mother of Allison and Nick. The Clooneys' younger child, son George Clooney, is a high-profile, Oscar-winning actor, and successful producer and director in film and television.
In the early 1970s, after several moves, Nick and Nina decided to establish a permanent home. It was clear that their work would continue to take them far afield, but they decided to establish a stable home base. At that time, Nick was hosting in Cincinnati both a daily television talk-variety show and a daily morning radio show. On weekends, he flew to New York City to tape "The Money Maze," a daily network game show on ABC-TV. Within two years, Nick returned to his great love, news, anchoring and serving as managing editor for WKRC-TV news in Cincinnati. Three years later, it became the city's most successful newscast.
Nick also was principal anchor at Channel 13 in Salt Lake City, Channel 4 in Buffalo, and on Channel 4 in Los Angeles, KNBC-TV. In the midst of this peripatetic lifestyle, Nick and Nina found their home. After much searching, they chose Augusta, Ky., not only for its beauty, but also to enable their children to experience the small-town life they had known, Nick in Maysville and Nina in Perryville. The move was everything they hoped. Both children excelled in school and gained confidence in their own abilities in many aspects of real life.
In time, other family members followed the lure of Augusta. In addition to aunts, uncles, and cousins, Nick's sister Rosemary had a home on Riverside Drive in Augusta for 20 years. More recently, Nick's younger sister Gail built a home overlooking the Ohio River in Augusta.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 13 Jan 2011, 07:14

Nick's birthday today. Cool
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 13 Jan 2011, 13:40

hey! BUON COMPLEANNO!!!!! Drink 3
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Thu 13 Jan 2011, 14:33

Happy Birthday Pop !

Have a wonderful day with Mum, Ada, Allison, Nick and Dante

luv ya

xxxxx & xxxxxx & xxxxxxx
Vi
Vi
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Nick Clooney Biography Empty Classic moments in television: Nick Clooney with Soupy Sales [who?]

Post by Katiedot Mon 21 Feb 2011, 18:30

Originally found here: classicshowbiz

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ladydi Mon 21 Feb 2011, 19:59

I don't remember much about the Soupy Sales kid's show but I remember it being one of my favorite shows as a little kid.

ladydi
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny Tue 22 Feb 2011, 00:14

I love Soupy Sales. He was from the Detroit area - very beloved here.

bunny
bunny
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove Tue 22 Feb 2011, 03:58

Bunny, bunny, bo-bunny, banana fanna, fo-funny, mee my mo, money. BUNNY!

The name game! I used to have a Soupy Sales record that I listened to forever.
PigLove
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Mon 18 Apr 2011, 22:05

I used to watch "The Nick Clooney Show" in Cincinnati when I was growing up. Nick was da man!!!
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 19 Apr 2011, 03:05

Hi MM! Welcome! Did you ever go to the show live?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Wed 20 Apr 2011, 04:02

If you juszt listen tot he audio, Nick and George could be voice twins
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Nick Clooney Biography Empty Nick Clooney hospitalized in Washington, D.C.

Post by laetval Wed 27 Apr 2011, 15:40

WASHINGTON, DC (FOX19) -

Nick Clooney has been hospitalized in Washington, D.C. for unknown medical reasons.

Clooney was scheduled to speak Wednesday and Thursday at the Montgomery Woman's Club Town Call Lecture Series. The lectures have been cancelled.

Clooney was scheduled to speak at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday night, but did not attend.

A spokesperson at George Washington University Hospital told FOX19 that Nick Clooney is there, but would not say anything more.

Clooney was a longtime Cincinnati news anchor and the father of movie star George Clooney.

FOX19.com will update this story as more information becomes available.
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Wed 27 Apr 2011, 15:49

UPDATE

Nick Clooney has been hospitalized in Washington, D.C. for a bad headache.

Clooney's daughter, Ada Clooney Zeidler, told FOX19's Sheila Gray that her father was suffering from bad headaches all day on Tuesday and was admitted to George Washington University Hospital."
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Wed 27 Apr 2011, 15:59

another article

Last edited by silly girl on Wed 27 Apr 2011, 16:03; edited 1 time in total

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 27 Apr 2011, 16:01

silly girl, what do you mean by another one?
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 27 Apr 2011, 18:02

Nick Clooney Hospitalized For Possible Exhaustion

Print Story Published: 11:55 am Share Updated: 12:00 pm
Former WKRC-TV anchor Nick Clooney is hospitalized in Washington, DC after he fell ill while preparing for a show on Tuesday night.

Clooney apparently drove himself to the nation's capital to moderate a show at the Newseum, a museum dedicated to journalism around the world. Clooney did not feel well while preparing for the show and went to a hospital emergency room.

Doctors decided to keep Clooney overnight for observation-they believe he is suffering from exhaustion but they are running more tests. Clooney is reportedly feeling better and is in good spirits.

It's not clear yet when he will be released from the hospital.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed 27 Apr 2011, 18:17

Thanks Merlin Smile

Not to sound like an ignoramus, but what exactly is exhaustion, medically speaking? I've heard it before, that someone is suffering from exhaustion. Does it just mean what it sounds like, that the person needs to sleep and rest more? Is it a form of stress?

Casey
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 27 Apr 2011, 19:03

I think its when someone is mentally and physically fatigued/tired/stressed - maybe a couple of days bedrest will sort him out....
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Wed 27 Apr 2011, 20:03

It is also used (sometimes) when there are health issues that the person doesn't want revealed.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Wed 27 Apr 2011, 20:24

I started a thread on Nick's IMDB message board. Thought maybe he or Nina may check that once in awhile. Or Nick's manager/agent, if he has one.

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Wed 27 Apr 2011, 23:36

6 :15 p.m. Wednesday update: George Clooney’s Los Angeles-based publicist, Stan Rosenfield, says the Nick Clooney is feeling better. But he did not know if Clooney had been released yet from George Washington University Hospital in Washington D.C.

“George told me that his father was admitted into the hospital for tests related to headaches and is fine now,” Rosenfield said. The hospital now is referring all media inquiries about Nick Clooney to Rosenfield. Not much else has changed from my blog post this morning. Follow the link and you’ll see my updated story online.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Wed 27 Apr 2011, 23:49

Thank you everyone for the articles and updates!!!

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Thu 28 Apr 2011, 01:46

Thanks for the updates hopefully Nick will rest. Good thing Nina is with him she will make sure he does the right thing.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 28 Apr 2011, 02:36

Ditto many thanks from me too. I come home from work and BAM! We can't log on to "good" stuff at work. Glad I've got my buddies here to find things to keep me informed. Luv y'all!!!

And get better Nick!

Last edited by melbert on Fri 29 Apr 2011, 01:42; edited 1 time in total
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 28 Apr 2011, 03:56

I saw the scrolling headline and my heart jumped into my throat! I'm so glad he's doing better. Thanks for the updates!

Last edited by LornaDoone on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 18:31; edited 1 time in total
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 28 Apr 2011, 04:53

Wow, so happy to hear that it sounds like he's doing better. It must have been a scary moment for them.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Thu 28 Apr 2011, 14:57

Poor Nick. I hope he's OK.
sandwiches
sandwiches

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Thu 28 Apr 2011, 15:51

It's nice that in the US they take medical care so seriously over the slightest symptons. I'm sure Nick will be fine, he has the best of care from the Dr's and family.
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 28 Apr 2011, 16:25

Yea it is nice, if you have medical ins. or you can afford the care and debt that comes with it. For most of us we are screwed if we have a serious illness!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Thu 28 Apr 2011, 16:46

lucy, I agree about the medical insurance. But even that doesn't cover if you have a serious illness. But I'm sure, if necessary, George would pick up the slack.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Thu 28 Apr 2011, 17:05

We pay an obscene amount of taxes in Canada to ensure we all get health coverage.
sandwiches
sandwiches

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 28 Apr 2011, 17:59

Same in the UK. While our national health service is far from perfect it does ensure everyone has access to healthcare.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 28 Apr 2011, 18:10

Which americans refuse to embrace, due to the belief that it will take away our right of choice? It seems to be a system that works for other countries, even paying higher taxes would seem worth it for medical care when needed.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Thu 28 Apr 2011, 18:21

I hope I don't sound dumb, but is that considered socialized medicine? I think Hillary Clinton tried to initialize that a few years back but it was denied.

Now in US we pay high health coverage cost and high taxes.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Thu 28 Apr 2011, 18:50

cindigirl wrote:I hope I don't sound dumb, but is that considered socialized medicine? I think Hillary Clinton tried to initialize that a few years back but it was denied.

Now in US we pay high health coverage cost and high taxes.

Yes, that's what it is.
sandwiches
sandwiches

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Thu 28 Apr 2011, 19:02

THANKS!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 28 Apr 2011, 19:22

Socialised medicine? Never heard that before.

How it works in the UK is that everyone pays a tax called national insurance which goes to running our hospitals. When you're ill, you don't have to pay for medical care or hospitalisation because you've already paid.

It's not that simple of course. Rich people still pay to go private (as they should IMO) because the best treatment comes with a bill, and unless you're on benefits there are charges for some services but you can get just about everything seen to on the national health service. The issues are that you can get horrendously long waiting times to see a doctor (months or even years if it isn't critical) and you only get the 'standard' care, so no ground breaking techniques or fancy schmancy stuff. But you will be treated.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sandwiches Thu 28 Apr 2011, 19:38

It's what the U.S. seems to call universal health care, from what I get from the American news. I may be wrong though but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

Our money comes from our income tax with the federal gov't and we pay a 'health premium' with the province of Ontario on top of that. We do have private clinics as well for those who want to pay for more immediate service but we all get the same access to health care no matter how much money you make. There are long wait times in the hospital if you go to emergency but I usually only wait a week or so to get an appt. with my doctor. The problem here is that there is a doctor shortage so not everyone has a family doctor.
sandwiches
sandwiches

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 28 Apr 2011, 20:02

We haven't had a health plan for about 10 yrs. We earn to much yearly income to qualify for aide, but not enough to afford regular out-of-pocket medical care,or to be able to purchase private ins.So you keep 1 credit card to use in case someone gets sick or hurt enough to have to seek medical care, then try to pay it off asap. Don't know much about how well it works in your countries, but something needs to change here in US, no matter what they call it socialized or national it sounds better than our system.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Thu 28 Apr 2011, 20:23

I'm in the same circumstance lucy. Right in the crack between meeting my bills and getting aide. In order to get aid in US you almost have to be dirt poor. Not a good system here in US.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next