George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets

+2
Joanna
theminis
6 posters

Go down

August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  Empty August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets

Post by theminis Sat 09 Nov 2013, 23:24

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A famous ensemble cast, a critically-acclaimed play and a director that brought him to fame with “ER” were several reasons for George Clooney to become a producer on dark comedy “August: Osage County.” But why did he really do it?

SEE MORE: Awards: The Contenders

“It was the cash, honestly,” he joked at the Nov. 8 American Film Institute Festival screening of the film.

He, director John Wells and stars Juliette Lewis, Julianne Nicholson, Dermot Mulroney, Misty Upham and others involved with the movie gathered at the TCL Chinese Theater in LA to celebrate the AFI premiere of the adaptation of Tracy Letts’ play of the same name. Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Chris Cooper and Margo Martindale also star in the movie Letts also wrote about a highly dysfunctional family.

Wells explained that he first saw the show on Broadway not knowing he was going to be involved, and despite the dark content, he remembered that he “laughed like crazy.”

“I felt kind of bad about laughing, because some of the stuff you’re laughing about, you’re like ‘Ohhh, I shouldn’t be laughing about that!’” He recalled. “I think it explores a lot of the ways that families really work.”

Clooney took on the film with his producing partner Grant Heslov, and the two explained that because most of the movies they’ve done together are male-oriented, such as “Good Night and Good Luck” and “The Ides of March,” doing a female-centric film would be a good idea. Harvey Weinstein’s The Weinstein Company acquired the rights to the adaptation, but it was something the duo had their eyes on.

“The truth is, we actually chased this,” said Heslov. “We tried to get the rights to this, and Harvey-”

“Beat us,” Clooney finished.

When it was time to shoot, they said there’s no bossing Streep around, but they learned how to work with Roberts pretty easily.

“As you well know, Julia is an alcoholic,” Clooney jested. “It was easier to work with her because you just offer her booze, apply that with anything.”

“She’s no good after 11:30,” Heslov added.

For Nicholson, known for roles in series including “Masters of Sex” and “Boardwalk Empire,” working with the famous, older women was a crash course in acting.

“No one does tips,” she said. “You learn by osmosis. You’re in a room with Meryl, you just sort of sit and watch and hopefully something will rub off or sink in there.”

Young thesp Upham appears in the film as a housekeeper for the unconventional Weston family, and was a housecleaner before landing the job of a lifetime.

She said she was so nervous before shooting that she couldn’t eat, and she obsessed over the script. When she got on set, however, it turned surreal when surrounded with her cast.

“I turned around and Julia Roberts was standing right there, and she was just like, ‘Hi, Misty!’” She remembered. “I never once in my life thought I would ever hear Julia Roberts call my name.”

Though the film isn’t even out yet, Roberts’ and Streep’s performances are already being praised, and murmurs of Academy Award noms are attached to the comedy. Even so, Mulroney said he’s going into it without expectations, and he’s just enjoying what’s happening now. Plus, he has a certain hope of what viewers will take out of it.

“I hope that they’ll laugh while they recognize how crazy these people are, and maybe see some of their own family in how people’s dynamics degrade over time and how they try to preserve them,” he said. “Sometimes you can’t. It’s really a sad movie in some ways and hard, but hilarious.”

“August:Osage County” will be released Christmas Day. AFI Fest runs through Nov. 14.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  Empty Re: August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets

Post by Joanna Sat 09 Nov 2013, 23:29

Thanks for the nice article Thumbs up! 
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets  Empty Re: August County - George Clooney advice on working with Julia Robets

Post by party animal - not! Sat 09 Nov 2013, 23:36

That photo, Themi!

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 09 Nov 2013, 23:59

That's what happens when the starts don't show... Wink

Very cute......

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sun 10 Nov 2013, 00:10

He does look delicious
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:03

Nice artical, thank you
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 14 Nov 2013, 00:34

For anyone on Facebook, there is a Q&A with George (and, I think, Grant) and some of the cast of A:OC. Unfortunately, I can't watch it. Let me know how funny and charming he is.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down