George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N.

5 posters

Go down

Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. Empty Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N.

Post by Mazy Mon 23 Sep 2013, 10:34

Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N.

By Ulf Laessing and Khalid Abdelaziz
KHARTOUM | Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:26pm EDT

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir walks out of a hotel in Abuja July 14, 2013.
Credit: Reuters/Afolabi Sotunde

(Reuters) - Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, wanted by the International Criminal Court on genocide charges, said on Sunday he planned to attend this week's U.N. General Assembly and had already booked a hotel in New York.

Washington has led calls for Bashir to face international justice over bloodshed in the now decade-old conflict in Sudan's Darfur region, and a senior State Department official said last week that Bashir would "not receive a warm welcome" if he traveled to New York.

At a news conference, Bashir did not say whether the United States had granted him a visa yet, but did say he had made preparations to fly to New York via Morocco.

"We booked the flight route via Morocco ... we booked a hotel," he said, adding that it was his right to attend the U.N. assembly.

Bashir said he was not worried that U.S. authorities would arrest him, as demanded by human rights groups, because Washington is not a member of the ICC.
"Nobody in the U.S. can question me or hold me," he said.

The ICC issued arrest warrants for Bashir in 2009 and 2010 on charges of orchestrating war crimes and genocide, requiring member countries to detain him if he entered their territories.
Since then, he has limited his travel mostly to African neighbors and Arab allies.

The United States is not a member of the Hague-based ICC, so would not be legally bound to hand the president over, but it has transferred ICC suspects to the court before.

When Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda turned himself in to the U.S. Embassy in the Rwandan capital of Kigali in March, he was put on a plane to The Hague within days.

Mainly non-Arab tribes took up arms in Darfur in 2003 against Bashir's Arab-dominated government, complaining of neglect and discrimination. The conflict has killed more than 200,000 people and displaced about 2 million, according to human rights groups and U.N. officials.

Sudan dismisses the ICC charges, says reports of mass killings in Darfur have been exaggerated, and refuses to recognise the court, which it says is part of a Western plot.

African hostility to the ICC has been growing due to a perception that prosecutors disproportionately target African leaders - a charge the ICC denies.

(Reporting by Ulf Laessing and Khalid Abdelaziz; Writing by Kevin Liffey and Ulf Laessing; Editing by Eric Beech)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When I saw this tweet I got the shakes
[url= [/url]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. Empty Re: Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N.

Post by What Would He Say Mon 23 Sep 2013, 12:13

"Nobody in the U.S. can question me or hold me," he said.

Says it all !!!
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N. Empty Re: Sudan's Bashir, Wanted By The ICC, Says He Will Travel To U.N.

Post by Joanna Mon 23 Sep 2013, 14:59

Innocent people are getting shot all the time in America, I keep reading.
He'd be good target practice instead IMO.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 23 Sep 2013, 20:08

Joanna wrote:Innocent people are getting shot all the time in America, I keep reading.
He'd be good target practice instead IMO.
Just read an article this week, cannot remember all the facts. Basically the UK, Australia the Swiss and some other places don't have the mass shootings like the US is because are nuts are very well armed. In Canada they have socialize medicine so that people that need help get it.

Bashir should not be so cocky. Even I would like to use him as target practice.

If you see any up-dates that I don't please post.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 26 Sep 2013, 01:36

thecable/foreignpolicy.com reported 2 hours ago that al Bashir has announced that he has cancelled his trip to the UN. This is a subscribe only site, and I haven't seen the story on any other news wires, but sounds as if the US didn't bother responding to his request.......diplomacy at its finest maybe....?

Great result!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Thu 26 Sep 2013, 16:31

I don't see anything about this are you sure ?
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 26 Sep 2013, 17:07

if true Thumbs up! Thumbs up! Thumbs up! 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 26 Sep 2013, 18:40

Yep, that's what it said, and the cynic tells me he would not shout the news from the rooftops.....but at the same time he wants to appear to still be in control as if the decision was his.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down