George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold

4 posters

Go down

OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold Empty OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold

Post by Mazy Sun 25 Aug 2013, 14:20

I was posting the second of these 2 but the first is kinda background they were listed together.

OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold
KHARTOUM

(16 Aug 2013.) -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In preparation of the World Humanitarian Day, held every year on 19 August, the head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) Mark Cutts held a a press conference in Khartoum highlighting challenges Sudan still faces.

Read below a summary of the press conference, delivered by Mr Cutts:

OCHA assists more than 4.5 million people in Sudan. War violence, and conflicts made more than 2 million people flee their homes in Darfur since 2003, OCHA estimates. At least 1.4 million are still living in displaced camps. In South Kordofan and Blue Nile over a million people have been displaced or severely affected by the war since Septmber 2011.

Fourty-seven aid workers have been killed in Darfur since 2003, 139 have been injured, and 71 have been abducted. Two Sudanese aid workers were killed in Nyala in South Darfur only one month ago. In Unamid, since 2007, 51 peacekeepers have been killed. Thirteen of those were killed in the last year.

The Sudanese government estimates that 1.8 million children are out of school in the country. Many of them are in places like Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile.

The overall level of malnutrition throughout Sudan is 16%, a latest government survey indicates. This is higher than the 15% emergency threshold considered by the World Health Organization. Rates are even higher in other states of Sudan, such as the Red Sea state in the east of the country. The UN, working with the Ministry of Health and other ministries in government, estimates that there are about 750,000 children suffering from severe malnutrition in 2013.

More than five million people in Sudan do not have adequate access to basic health services. The number of trained health personnel in Darfur is 5 times lower than the benchmark given by the UN’s World Health Organization.

Khartoum has been particularly badly affected by the rain this year; these are the worst floods the city has seen since the Nile burst its banks in 1988. In Khartoum over 85,000 people had to leave their houses because they were either damaged or completely destroyed.

OCHA has been providing assistance by trucking water, chlorination for water supply systems, tents, plastic sheeting, water cans, buckets and other household items. Unicef has been providing tens of thousands of mosquito nets.

Other badly hit places also include Al Gezira, where entire villages are under-water or surrounded by water. There are also people affected in places as far away as North Darfur. Some of the affected places are remote and very difficult to reach.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

‘At least 2 children die per day’ in South Darfur camp
SOUTH DARFUR

(23 Aug 2013.) -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The spread of diseases in South Darfur’s Attash camp, along with shortage of health care facilities and medicines, is “killing between two and four children every day” at the site, a sheikh says.

Mainly the newly displaced are affected, the sheikh added, stressing that many children are suffering of malnutrition at the camp.
“The high incidence of deaths among children is scary,” Attash’s sheikh told Radio Dabanga.

Last week, the head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Sudan, Mark Cutts, stated that the overall level of malnutrition throughout Sudan is higher than the emergency threshold considered by the World Health Organisation.

In Marshang camp, South Darfur, displaced are also worried about the high mortality rates and the spread of illnesses such as malaria, conjunctivitis, and skin diseases, which they described as “serious”.

"Diseases began to appear in July and most deaths occurred in August. Conjunctivitis is especially affecting children and skin diseases are prominent among adults too,” the sheikh told Radio Dabanga.

He disclosed that the area has only two health centers “for more than 70,000 people living in camps and nearby villages.”

The sheikh is asking health authorities and humanitarian organisations to provide medicine, build new health centres, and cover pools of stagnant water.
File photo by Albert González Farran/UNAMID
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold Empty Re: OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold

Post by it's me Sun 25 Aug 2013, 14:39

I would say thanks for all new articles but I right now can't really set my mind on that

I have other problems in my mind
And really it is a big trouble to cope with all those so brutal news

From many places

Hope to solve soon my other worries so to keep again myself aware of them

I'm thinking at him too
How can him keep to behave so well among all that pains
He is great Smile Hug1 
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold Empty Re: OCHA Boss: Sudan Malnutrition Rate Above Emergency Threshold

Post by mosaic Sun 25 Aug 2013, 16:55

I don't know whether anyone has heard of earthships, but they are an organization that goes to places like Africa to build cheap sustainable housing.

The houses they build are self-contained--they are designed to catch rainwater, to have their own sewage facility, and to grow food inside (glass enclosures).

These buildings are perfect for this situation since they utilize materials at hand and can be built cheaply and quickly. The biggest contributors to disease are unsanitary conditions and unavailable clean drinking water.

Here is the website if anyone is interested in contributing:

They are scheduling Malawi right now.

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sun 25 Aug 2013, 19:11

Hi IM I hope you get your problems solved very quickly. You are a nice person and don't like to hear you stressed, I will say a prayer.

Mosaic thanks for the link. I cannot not afford to donate money that's why I do what I do with my time to try and help. However, I am going to check it out and see what it's all about. It sounds very interesting.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 19:50

I find this line most dreadful:

"The Sudanese government estimates that 1.8 million children are out of school in the country. Many of them are in places like Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile. "

If children don't get education they can not help to build and change the country when they grow up as they do not of the knowledge. They get held to be stupid  for the dictators benefit.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 19:52

mosaic wrote:I don't know whether anyone has heard of earthships, but they are an organization that goes to places like Africa to build cheap sustainable housing.

The houses they build are self-contained--they are designed to catch rainwater, to have their own sewage facility, and to grow food inside (glass enclosures).  

These buildings are perfect for this situation since they utilize materials at hand and can be built cheaply and quickly.  The biggest contributors to disease are unsanitary conditions and unavailable clean drinking water.

Here is the website if anyone is interested in contributing:

They are scheduling Malawi right now.  
Isn't that something IKEA is doing to

I like organisations how do things like that. Those tents are awful
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 25 Aug 2013, 20:26

Found that
Interesting images (Ita site)

Children
Yes, big big problem indeed
In Syria too

Thanks Mazy Hug1 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Sun 25 Aug 2013, 23:10

it's me wrote:Found that
Interesting images (Ita site)

Children
Yes, big big problem indeed
In Syria too

Thanks Mazy Hug1 
Thanks for the link, It's Me. Pretty cool design, eh?

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 25 Aug 2013, 23:56

Amazing!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down