George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

+9
Mazy
mosaic
Pari
Juliette Hardy
silly girl
party animal - not!
it's me
fluffy
Catie
13 posters

Go down

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   Empty George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

Post by Catie Wed 31 Jul 2013, 16:07

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney is spending a recent handsome paycheck on an endeavor that might surprise those who know more about Clooney's love life than his espionage activities.The "Gravity" actor told the Guardian that he's spending "most" of the cash he earns from appearing in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for Nespresso on a spy satellite aimed at Sudan. Allow Clooney to explain:Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]. Then he puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'well welcome to my life Mr War Criminal'. I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair.al-Bashir was recently reported to have fled Nigeria in an attempt to avoid being arrested on war crimes and human rights violations. Human rights leaders accuse the Sudanese president of committing gruesome atrocities in the Darfur region of the country.Clooney's humorous take on the situation shouldn't be mistaken for glibness on the actor's part. The Satellite Sentinel Project, Clooney's spy program, tracks the movements of Sudan's brutal army and attempts to warn civilians in advance of attacks. The 52-year-old was also arrested last March in a protest at the Sudanese embassy in Washington D.C. At the time, Clooney told The Huffington Post that the goal "is the same goal it's been all along and will continue to be and not be accomplished today or anytime in the near future, but it's a job that we have to continually do which is raise attention."Lending his celebrity to protest "the idea of a government attacking and killing its own innocent men, women and children" was Clooney's primary motivation, who said "the most important thing" is "allowing aid to get in now because in the next few months it could be the greatest humanitarian crisis in the world."Nespresso is working to source its coffee beans from South Sudan, a region the Guardian reports was a big coffee exporter 40 years ago. More on Clooney and coffee is available over at the Guardian.

Last edited by Catie on Wed 31 Jul 2013, 18:21; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added commercial)
Catie
Catie
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   Empty Re: George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

Post by fluffy Wed 31 Jul 2013, 16:28

Thanks Catie for this find.. good for him! Let's hope he makes enough to keep all his projects going!
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   Empty Re: George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

Post by Catie Wed 31 Jul 2013, 16:33

fluffy wrote:Thanks Catie for this find.. good for him! Let's hope he makes enough to keep all his projects going!

I agree on keeping the projects going.  Smile
Catie
Catie
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 31 Jul 2013, 17:10

The link is

Does he say

it could be the greatest humanitarian crisis in the next future

?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 01 Aug 2013, 02:08

Just found the new (to me) piece from yesterday's Guardian (UK) in the Environment section (blog) and the journalist was at the Paris Nespresso conference, and it seems that His Nibs introduced the family of 'green' farmers he'd met in Costa Rica three years earier....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 01 Aug 2013, 02:13

I remember photos of when he went there. I think it is good he doing something positive.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:36

The story is receiving news coverage.
CNN had this report on Clooney buying a satellite from his Nespresso advertisment proceeds,  to monitor crimes against humanity in Sudan.

The Matrix
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:50

I don't know why I still believe that George can do so much better for Sudan (direct as a Diplomat) outside of this "satellite monitoring" pathway that he has chosen...
Pari
Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 01 Aug 2013, 14:04

Please
He need to do what he can in a safe way
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Thu 01 Aug 2013, 16:56

pari wrote: I don't know why I still believe that George can do so much better for Sudan (direct as a Diplomat) outside of this "satellite monitoring" pathway that he has chosen...

It appears to be a very difficult situation. I think George's idea is to highlight what is going on so the world can see how bad things are, and to document the war crimes so that Bashir will be held accountable.

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 01 Aug 2013, 17:15

Exactly, mosaic.
George (& Nick)  brought it to the world's attention.  
His celebrity status helped to generate the media exposure he sought.

Last edited by Juliette Hardy on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 17:28; edited 1 time in total
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 01 Aug 2013, 17:21

mosaic wrote:
pari wrote:  I don't know why I still believe that George can do so much better for Sudan (direct as a Diplomat) outside of this "satellite monitoring" pathway that he has chosen...

It appears to be a very difficult situation.  I think George's idea is to highlight what is going on so the world can see how bad things are, and to document the war crimes so that Bashir will be held accountable.

You are right Mosaic, I have heard George say in interviews his main objective is to keep Darfur in front of the ones that make the decisions in these matters. The Satellite is now being used for obtaining evidence and a warning system. I have read other reports where it seems like are also using their reports. I don't know more than that.

However there in isn't too much a single individual can do on there own. We know that George works in conjunction with John Prendergast as well as many others. There is a whole network of Activist working on all this. We only hear about what is being done with things like Nespresso. This is also not his only cause all though it might seem like it. I have a feeling that the UN has been taking enough heat that they are starting to act stronger, just posted that. I have "hopefully" a feeling that more is going to get done.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:58

Thank you dear people for explaining... and yes, I am aware of the reasons also Smile However, taking into account the resources/investments etc thus far, I wonder if George needs to think "out of the satellite box" to see how the goals can be influenced/achieved... Just me thinking out loud here... Smile

Oftentimes, I have also mulled if the satellite really is "safe" for George? Smile
Pari
Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 01 Aug 2013, 19:50

I hope the whole thing is safe for him
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 01 Aug 2013, 19:54

I'm sure he is looking for other options and goals to archieve Pari. But it is not so easy as this subject is not easy. People like to avoid it. And i think it is better to put your full energie on 1 thing like the satelite than 100 different things and nothing will be done at all.

I think he is doing already a lot for the Sudan. We can not expect him to do more if he does anyway more than us so who are we to tell him to do more or something different. We should get started first before we tell somebody else what he should do only than I guess we realise how difficult it is .... Just a thought   Very Happy
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 01 Aug 2013, 21:52

Pari wrote:Thank you dear people for explaining... and yes, I am aware of the reasons also Smile However, taking into account the resources/investments etc thus far, I wonder if George needs to think "out of the satellite box" to see how the goals can be influenced/achieved... Just me thinking out loud here... Smile

Oftentimes, I have also mulled if the satellite really is "safe" for George? Smile

Trust me we all tend to worry if this is safe for him.
I do understand how you are thinking sometimes well maybe they should do this or that; but I realize that I don't know what else is going on that we don't hear about. I have been on twitter everyday for more that a year now tweeting about the Darfur situation which means I read a lot of articles and believe me I know very little about the workings of the politics of the Sudan. It is a very complex problem. Just the fact that you are trying to think of something that would help; is a lot more than most people.

Had some in-laws visiting last week and my daughter asked them "did she start talking about Darfur or George Clooney yet?" Naturally I had and being in the military they were quite knowledgeable about Darfur to my daughter's dismay. Keep thinking about it and caring.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Fri 02 Aug 2013, 01:34

You stand up in anyones way, you are not safe. No matter who, no matter where.
But you have to stand up......x
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir   Empty George Clooney Spends His Nespresso Paycheck on a Satellite…Find Out Why!

Post by Mazy Fri 02 Aug 2013, 02:51

George Clooney Spends His Nespresso Paycheck on a Satellite…Find Out Why!
By Taryn Ryder | omg! – Wed, Jul 31, 2013 2:45 PM EDT

George Clooney heads to Nespresso for a meeting in Paris (Splash News)
Jennifer Aniston, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Connery, Meg Ryan, Dennis Hopper, George Clooney — and of course, John Travolta with this recent gem — these are just a few A-List celebrities who have pocketed big dollars starring in foreign commercials.

Sudan's leader Omar al-Bashir (Getty Images)“I’m trying to make movies in my life … that last longer than opening weekend," Clooney toldNewsweek in 2012, explaining why he does these ads. "That’s it, that’s my whole goal. I don’t have to make money; I do films for scale and then, you know, I go do coffee commercials overseas, and I make a lot of money so I get to live in a nice house. … And I don’t give a sh-t. And people will go, ‘Oh that’s a sellout.’ And you know what? F--k you.”

While Stacy Keibler's ex may have made light of being called a "sellout," he's putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to spending what he earns. Many stars pocket their ridiculously large paychecks, but George — who appears in commercials for Nespresso — said he's spending the cash on a satellite aimed at Sudan.

"Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]," the Oscar winner said in Paris on Tuesday. "Then [Omar al-Bashir] puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'Well, welcome to my life Mr. War Criminal.' I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair."

George Clooney getting arrested in front of Sudanese Embassy in Washington DC (Getty Images)But don't let the Clooney's humor and charm take away from what he's really doing.

The Satellite Sentinel Project, Clooney's spy program, aims to use advanced satellite imagery to monitor potential human rights abuses in Sudan. The SSP tracks movements of Omar al-Bashir's army and attempts to warn civilians in advance of attacks.

Clooney's passion for Sudanese satellites is hardly random.
In March 2012, he and his father Nick Clooneywere arrested during a protest outside of the Sudanese Embassy in Washington DC.

The protesters accused Omar al-Bashir of provoking a humanitarian crisis and blocking food and aid from entering the Nuba Mountains in the county's border region with South Sudan.

Clooney told The Associated Press that through his actions he hoped to draw attention to the crisis in Sudan.
After all, actions speak louder than words and the "Gravity" star is certainly doing both.

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 02 Aug 2013, 05:27

Here's the original Guardian article which I'm sure I've seen on this forum but can't find now:

George Clooney tastes sustainability in Nespresso coffee
Hollywood star talks about ads, activism and why he's spying on Sudan's Omar al-Bashir

George Clooney is the face of Nespresso, the Nestle capsule coffee company, and makes no bones about it. "I'm very comfortable with commercials. I've done them most of my life," he said on Tuesday in Paris, as he provided star power to the newly unveiled Nespresso Sustainability Advisory Board (NSAB). "But I would find myself at a press conference, or perhaps at a film festival and suddenly there'd be some people challenging me about Nespresso's sustainability. I thought if I was going to be involved on a long-term basis with this company, and I like them very much, I should find out what they're doing and what they should and could be held responsible for." Three years ago Clooney headed out with Nespresso to Costa Rica to see the company's coffee farmers for himself.

If you're not familiar with the Nespresso brand, there are usually two main sustainability beefs. A small tray was dropped off at my hotel room ahead of the unveiling of the NSAB, reminding me of the first. The tray held four shimmering jewels, sealed aluminium pods of espresso magic that pop into a machine. Each is a single use canister and an estimated 186m are used in the UK each year alone. Nespresso says that it has collection points (and will pick up) for empties in the UK and Ireland and that they can be successfully recycled in Crewe.

The second major point of contention is that Nespresso is owned by Nestle, and its baby milk scandal has still not been forgotten by campaigners. Nestle is also a mammoth buyer of commodities, and thus not perceived as distributing social value along its supply chain in the same way as, say, Fairtrade.

Clooney's Nespresso ads poke fun at himself by being turned down by a series of beautiful women who are more interested in the coffee machine and its bejewelled single-use pods than him. The knowing ads riff off his public persona: uber suave and a little bit smug.

But there are critical differences between advert Clooney and NSAB Clooney – the former doesn't talk about farming, whereas the latter said:

I'm the grandson of tobacco farmers and I grew up on a farm and I really felt that when I went to Costa Rica. I spent time with one amazing family who have changed everything, made it more efficient made it better. They were so proud! Pig crap powers their entire home!

The family, it turns out, are in the room (they stand up bashfully for a round of applause). They are one family of 56,000 coffee farmers who are part of Nespresso's environmental and quality assurance system that means they can attract around 30-40% above market price. On Tuesday, Nespresso announced it'd be extending this scheme into Africa, and said it expects to double the amount of coffee sourced from Ethiopia and Kenya to 10,000 tons by 2020.

But the big story here is Sudan. Were Clooney not in attendance I'd probably have been reporting on the fact that Nespresso is planning on leveraging South Sudan as a high quality coffee producer (as it was 40 years ago). Clooney said:

"Yesterday we got to drink coffee of South Sudan, and this is the only export to have come out of South Sudan besides oil since the war. The problem with oil being of course that a company takes the oil from beneath the feet of the people living there via a pipeline, back of a truck and a dock in Khartoum. Oftentimes the government gets a small proportion and it doesn't seem to trickle down.

But if Clooney wasn't there, then arguably there wouldn't be a drive to source coffee from Sudan. The country is an all-consuming passion for the actor, who was arrested at the Sudanese embassy in Washington last year:

"Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]. Then he puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'well welcome to my life Mr War Criminal'. I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair."

On his own green credentials, Clooney is coy. He likes electric cars, he thinks the issues are important, "but I've been in a private jet [I imagine more than once] and once you do that you pretty much undo any good" but he certainly gets it. He also has a noticeably good rapport with Harriet Lamb, CEO of Fairtrade International, a fellow NSAB panellist.

She said farmers associations welcomed Nespresso's initiatives and big companies could play an important role:

'You need dedicated pioneer brands but you also need the big boys who can drive the whole sector. We're all at the start of creating the sort of change we want to see. There's a strong message here [with Nespresso's suite of sustainability measures]. One of the problems is the pace of return that shareholders are demanding and this drives them to make snap decisions on important factors for profit. When the public comes in, it gives companies the time to make that long-term change. It takes time to plant coffee, it takes time for farmer organisations to build and to protect the environment.'

Nestle is also planning to source Fairtrade-certified coffee from an additional 7,000 small scale farmers in Colombia. It may be – nobody from Fairtrade International would be drawn – that Nespresso is asked or persuaded to contribute to a Fairtrade fund at some point in the way that Starbucks has contributed EURO1 million to the Fairtrade Access Fund, a provider of midscale loans. It seem likely that eventually there will be a Fairtrade-branded Nespresso product. That might be the moment NSAB Clooney finally gets his day in one of those commercials.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 02 Aug 2013, 06:18

Katie the rest of Nespresso got put in
George Clooney News the name of the tread is
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Sat 14 Sep 2013, 07:50

George reportedly makes close to $40 MILLION for this Nespresso contract. Sweet damn. That and the half million he gets for the occasional speaking events that he does ever other year means the funds will be around for a long time to cover the cost of the satellites. From the Hollywood Reporter:

The New A-List: 23 Salaries From Angelina Jolie to Robert Downey Jr. Revealed
6:00 AM PDT 9/11/2013 by THR Staff  

Who commands $20 million per movie? How much is Robert Pattinson getting paid to shill for Dior? And Downey is making HOW MUCH for "Iron Man 3"?! THR breaks down the earnings of Hollywood's biggest stars.

11 / 24
George Clooney
It is estimated that George Clooney's deal with Nespresso (for which he appears in ads everywhere but the U.S.) has earned him close to $40 million.

Article
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:20

WOW that's a number "$40 million "
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 14 Sep 2013, 11:18

So that's not $40 million a year, that's their overall guesstimate over the time of his contract.

And I think Our Hero's quoted as saying that Satellite Sentinel is roughly a million a month to maintain............keep drinking the coffee

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 14 Sep 2013, 14:17

party animal - not! wrote:So that's not $40 million a year, that's their overall guesstimate over the time of his contract.

And I think Our Hero's quoted as saying that Satellite Sentinel is roughly a million a month to maintain............keep drinking the coffee
Don't forget needs a little extra for infrared to be installed, don't know what it adds to the monthly operational costs. Don't worry about too much caffeine because they are coming out with soup for the same machines. <3
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down