George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso

+15
NotAvailable
mosaic
Mazy
What Would He Say
silly willy
Joanna
theminis
Juliette Hardy
Carla97
Nicky80
it's me
Atalante
LornaDoone
party animal - not!
silly girl
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso Empty George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso

Post by silly girl Mon 15 Jul 2013, 18:19

So he is still involved with Nespresso.  I am a big proponent of Fair Trade....while they are probably not being totally altruistic because Fair Trade is now a "thing"....

Nespresso Adds Clooney to Join Fairtrade on Coffee Ethics Board

Nespresso, the biggest maker of single-serve coffee, will introduce its sustainability program to Africa as it forms a board with the heads of Fairtrade International and Rainforest Alliance plus actor George Clooney.

The Nestle SA (NESN) division plans to start the program in Ethiopia and Kenya as well as try to help reestablish a coffee industry in South Sudan, Nespresso said in a statement today.

“We always need more coffee,” especially sustainable coffee, Nespresso Chief Executive Officer Jean-Marc Duvoisin said at a press conference in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Nestle is highlighting Nespresso’s environmental and labor standards of production as competition in single-serve coffee intensifies. Rival capsules that work in Nespresso machines probably squeezed the brand’s first-quarter sales growth to 8 percent, the slowest pace in its history, Jon Cox, an analyst at Kepler Cheuvreux in Zurich, has estimated.

“This is a great, big company working very hard to help people at the bottom,” Clooney, who already appears in Nespresso advertisements, said at the press conference. “It’s smart business.”

Nespresso has surpassed an objective of obtaining 80 percent of its coffee through the company’s AAA sustainability program, which started 10 years ago, Duvoisin said. Nespresso buys coffee from 56,000 farmers under the program and pays them a 30 percent to 40 percent premium to New York market prices. Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, India and Mexico are among countries where farmers take part in the AAA projects, according to Nespresso’s website.

“They benefit and we benefit,” Duvoisin said, adding that Nespresso relies on access to the top 1 percent to 2 percent of the best quality coffee.

Nespresso will introduce capsules with African blends next year, and it may help produce rare Sudanese varieties, Duvoisin said. The company isn’t raising prices to consumers, he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Thomas Mulier in Lausanne via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: David Risser at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Katiedot on Mon 29 Jul 2013, 10:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : merged threads and updated thread title)

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso Empty Re: George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso

Post by party animal - not! Mon 15 Jul 2013, 18:56

So he was at the press conference in Lausanne today...........

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso Empty Re: George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso

Post by party animal - not! Mon 15 Jul 2013, 19:04

Oops, Frenchies have a link that says it's more than that. His Nibs i sponsoring a Fairtrade coffee-growing scheme for Nespresso in South Sudan. Genius idea!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 15 Jul 2013, 19:15

Hey partyanimal can you copy the text? The link doesn't work over here. Thx.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 15 Jul 2013, 20:08

Nespresso recruits Clooney for sustainability drive

(Reuters) - Nespresso sought to polish its green credentials, pledging to buy more coffee from sustainable plantations in Africa and tapping into customers' consciences in an increasingly competitive coffee pod market.

Nespresso has been food group Nestle's fastest growing brand but has come under pressure from rivals seeking a slice of its stellar profits with cheaper imitations.

It said on Monday a panel including movie star George Clooney and experts from Fairtrade International and the Rainforest Alliance would advise on how to boost sustainability.

The measures include a plan to revive high-quality coffee production in South Sudan as well as programmes with Fairtrade International in Colombia to provide health insurance and retirement planning to farmers.

"This is a great big company working very hard to help people at the bottom of the chain," Clooney, who has been the brand's front man for advertising since 2006, told a media briefing in Lausanne.

"It's done because they have their heart in the right place, but it's also done because it's good business," said Clooney, a Sudan activist who has visited the country several times.

Growth at Nespresso, which sells coffee machines and single-use coffee capsules, has slowed recently from the over 20 percent rates seen in past years as more copycat systems come to market.

The biggest challenge is expected to be the launch of Nespresso-compatible pods by U.S. firm Mondelez, the world's second-biggest coffee maker behind Nestle, later this year.

Nespresso CEO Jean-Marc Duvoisin declined to comment on whether the brand will reach its target of adding half a billion francs to Nespresso sales in 2013.

Nestle has sued rivals including D.E. Master Blenders , Ethical Coffee Co and Swiss supermarket chains Migros and Denner, but so far it has failed to obtain a definite sales ban on their products.

REGULATORY NEWS

Last edited by silly girl on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 20:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a different article from Reuters)

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 15 Jul 2013, 20:16

Well he'd better keep his eyes open !!!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 15 Jul 2013, 20:19

Good news Very Happy !
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 21:59

party animal - not! wrote:So he was at the press conference in Lausanne today...........

Both artical write it like that but can't find anything online. Maybe he just released a statement at the press conference and it sounded like he was there?
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 15 Jul 2013, 22:20

Could be, Nicky, but business papers don't usually have that may pix, unless you're the Governor of the Bank of England - and look like George Clooney!!!

Bloomberg have the story now too...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 15 Jul 2013, 22:31

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 22:31

Business papers? What better they have got to report? Just asking. Smile
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 04:40

Bravo!
He's actively representing the brand & it ties in well with his humanitarian activism in South Sudan.
Kenya & Ethipia already have significant coffee production.
Hopefully South Sudan can establish it too.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 07:58

party animal - not! wrote:Could be, Nicky, but business papers don't usually have that may pix, unless you're the Governor of the Bank of England - and look like George Clooney!!!

Bloomberg have the story now too...........

So he was there but we have no pics???? affraid
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 16 Jul 2013, 08:48

Twitter photo:

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 16 Jul 2013, 09:13

Another twit pic

Instagram photo----he is smiling:

Last edited by silly girl on Tue 16 Jul 2013, 09:19; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add link to photos)

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 16 Jul 2013, 09:22

Oh hes wearing my favourite suit/shirt combo - great initative - hopefully will really help
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Jul 2013, 10:34

Excellent! Wonder how long he's been working on this....impressive

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Jul 2013, 10:44

Other pix via the Rainforest Alliance twitter page - must have been a long meeting. Folks have changed their clothes! His trip to Costa Rica way back when all tied in with this, didn't it?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Jul 2013, 10:52

According to our friends at Frenchies, he's in Paris now. @cathcathroig

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 16 Jul 2013, 11:09

So the humanitarian part of his character is still
working well. Hopefully he's well rested from his stay in Como now.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso Empty Hope he stays in Paris!

Post by silly willy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 11:19

party animal - not! wrote:According to our friends at Frenchies, he's in Paris now. @cathcathroig

I'll be there next week! Would love a Clooney run-in.

silly willy
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 16 Jul 2013, 11:39

Oh! The infamous glasses !!!

2 diff suits
2 days, right?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Jul 2013, 11:52

Yep, Lausanne yesterday, Paris today........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 16 Jul 2013, 13:50

silly girl wrote:Twitter photo:

Is it just me, or is he biting his nails again?

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Tue 16 Jul 2013, 14:00

LornaDoone wrote:
silly girl wrote:Twitter photo:

Is it just me, or is he biting his nails again?

I LOVE a THINKING MAN Love4 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 16 Jul 2013, 14:14

I've brightened and cropped that picture......he's just listening intently....probably to interpreter ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 16 Jul 2013, 15:23

No

Lost in his thoughts

Even a bit sad HIMO

Nice interesting pics indeed, thanks to whoever did it
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Tue 16 Jul 2013, 15:31

Heart maybe too big...too tender...Sad 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 16 Jul 2013, 15:40

Could be
Those are big big problems for all those ppl
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 15:55

theminis wrote:Oh hes wearing my favourite suit/shirt combo - great initative - hopefully will really help

Mine too. All black suit. No tie.

Helping developing nations help themselves is best incentive.
Lending his high profile again for admirable causes.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 16 Jul 2013, 15:58

Yes, again Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 17:27

NESPRESSO SUSTAINABILITY ADVISORY BOARD ADVANCES COMPANY’S PIONEERING APPROACH TO FARMER WELFARE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE

Members of the Nespresso Sustainability Advisory
Board announced new company's initiatives in regards to
sustainability (left to right: Bruce McNamer - TechnoServe,
Jean-Marc Duvoisin - Nestlé Nespresso SA, Tensie
Whelan - Rainforest Alliance, Harriet Lamb - Fairtrade
International and George Clooney)

Enhancing Nespresso’s sustainability strategy with the Sustainability Advisory Board
On 16 July 2013, global leaders in sustainability and long-time brand ambassador George Clooney joined Nespresso, as part of the company’s first Sustainability Advisory Board, to announce major new initiatives in the areas of farmer welfare and environmental stewardship.

The Nespresso Sustainability Advisory Board (NSAB) is comprised of experts and thought leaders in the area of sustainability. It has been established to solicit views and provide insight and recommendations to enhance Nespresso's long term sustainability strategy and to serve as a base for additional partnerships on new initiatives. Its official formation coincides with the 10th anniversary of the company’s AAA Sustainable Quality™ Program.

Working with these renowned leaders in environmental and social sustainability will allow us to strengthen our programs and develop new and impactful initiatives to create shared value for coffee farmers.

Jean-Marc Duvoisin
CEO, Nestlé Nespresso SA

“As we mark ten years of the AAA Program, I am proud to have the opportunity to work with these renowned leaders in environmental and social sustainability in order to strengthen our programs and develop new and impactful initiatives to create shared value for coffee farmers,” said Jean-Marc Duvoisin, CEO of Nestlé Nespresso. “While we have come a long way over the past ten years, we are driven by the need to continue to move forward. The insight and independent perspectives brought by these thought leaders will help advance our sustainability efforts and will ensure that we remain focused on initiatives that will have a positive overall impact on the environment and social aspects of our value chain.”

AAA farmers commit to quality and sustainability

For 10 years, Nespresso has worked with the Rainforest Alliance and other key partners on the AAA Program, a unique approach that combines a focus on quality and sustainability to produce benefits for farmers and their communities.
The program is producing concrete results on the ground in coffee growing communities. A study performed by Colombian research institute CRECE, demonstrates significantly higher levels of environmental, economic and social performance for AAA farms versus non-AAA farms. The program is one part of the company’s overall approach to Creating Shared Value and establishes a strong model for collaborative partnerships to drive concrete impacts in sustainability.

Significant new partnerships to drive sustainability for coffee farmers
At the inaugural NSAB meeting in Lausanne, Mr. Duvoisin was joined by George Clooney and TechnoServe President and CEO, Bruce McNamer, to announce two major new initiatives in Africa: the expansion of the AAA Program in Ethiopia and Kenya and a program to re-establish coffee supply from South Sudan.

Expanding the AAA Program in Africa

In Ethiopia and Kenya, Nespresso will expand the AAA Program to include more cooperatives and smallholder farms and will partner with local governments and TechnoServe to improve coffee traceability to farm level. The company will also launch community development programs that address key socio-economic challenges in the coffee growing communities and support farmer welfare.

The partners expect to double the amount of coffee sourced from the region to 10,000 tons by 2020 through the extension of the program to small-holder farmers. This significant expansion of the AAA Program will build upon its strong success in Latin America and its recent expansion to India. Currently, over 56,000 farmers are part of the AAA Program and the company is sourcing approximately 80% of its coffee from AAA farms.

Reviving high quality coffee production in South Sudan

The program will provide much-needed income and security for thousands of farmers and their families living in coffee communities in South Sudan.

George Clooney
The South Sudan project, in cooperation with TechnoServe and George Clooney, will revive high quality coffee production in the country to contribute to economic development and create supply. It is expected that thousands of farmers will benefit from the initiative. As part of the program, Nespresso plans to be the first company to offer coffee from the country following its independence.

“I am excited for the opportunity to bring together my role as an ambassador for Nespresso and an advocate for a better future for the people of South Sudan,” said George Clooney. “This program will help farmers and their families secure their future by building new sources of sustainable business in this region. It will provide much-needed income and security for thousands of farmers and their families living in coffee communities and has the potential to play an important role in helping to diversify the economic base in the country.”

AAA Farmer Future Program with Fairtrade International and Colombian farmer cooperatives

Mr. Duvoisin also joined with Fairtrade International CEO Harriet Lamb and representatives of five Fairtrade certified cooperatives in Caldas, Colombia to announce the signing of an agreement to pilot the “AAA Farmer Future Program”. The program aims to introduce social welfare provisions to benefit farmers and their families, including health and accident coverage and retirement planning. As part of the initiative, Nespresso will market coffee from the AAA farmer cooperatives in the region and certified Fairtrade.

“We are excited to be joining together with Nespresso to address the very real issues and risks that coffee farmers face on a daily basis,” said Harriet Lamb, President of Fairtrade International. “Farmers are exposed to many risks, including low productivity, price volatility and fluctuations in exchange rates. These factors can severely impact their livelihoods. This unique pilot project will seek to provide the security farmers need to provide for their families and invest in their future.”

The AAA Program is one of the most rigorous and comprehensive programs in the coffee industry.

Tensie Whelan
President, Rainforest Alliance

Reducing the carbon footprint of coffee farming
Nespresso also announced an expansion of its agro-forestry program, in partnership with the Rainforest Alliance and Pur Projet, to optimise the carbon footprint of coffee farming.Nespresso has reduced its carbon footprint per cup by 20% since 2009. Coffee agriculture remains an area of opportunity to further optimise carbon impacts. The program will help farmers step up their investment in agro-forestry and to seek to create carbon credits and drive new revenue streams.

“The AAA Program, built together with the Rainforest Alliance and the Sustainable Agriculture Network, is one of the most rigorous and comprehensive programmes in the coffee industry, with increased farmer net income and significantly improved water quality, waste management and reforestation,” said Tensie Whelan, President of the Rainforest Alliance. “We believe that the expansion of the coffee farming agro-forestry program will build on the strong results demonstrated by the AAA Program and will be an important new approach to supporting farmer livelihoods, protecting the natural resources on which they depend and safeguarding the planet for all of us.”

Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 18:48

Moved to Paris thread

Last edited by Mazy on Tue 16 Jul 2013, 19:55; edited 1 time in total
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 19:04

A BIT MORE FROM GEORGE ON SUDAN
GEORGE CLOONEY, WHAT ELSE? COFFEE FROM SOUTH SUDAN ...
 - Published 16/07/2013 at 18:23

With its famous "What else," George Clooney became the face of Nespresso. Meanwhile, he campaigned for years for the Sudan in the south. Result: the Swiss food giant wants to make any young state an exporter of coffee, and fulfill its capsules in 2015.

"This is a suggestion on my part," said the actor, who was in Paris on Thursday for a press conference devoted to the policy of sustainable development of the brand.

"I spoke and told me: 'we'll see if it makes sense to make coffee there + They went and they saw that there was already coffee plants. there and there was a chance "to develop, he said.

Like other African countries such as Ethiopia and Kenya, Nespresso wants to develop the culture of high-quality coffee in four regions of South Sudan (near the town of Yei, the Boma plateau, mountains Imatong and Ecuador East), independent for two years.

The ambition is to fulfill its first capsules in 2015.
"This is a long term investment. There are no roads, no infrastructure. Planting will take time. But there is a chance that it works, and if it really works, it will have an impact on the lives of millions of people, "he assured the Hollywood star. "The only thing that comes out of South Sudan for the moment, it is oil (...) and people do not seem to benefit."

The actor explained that he wanted to go further with the brand after press conference after press conference, was often summoned to justify having "sustainability" Nespresso, especially criticized for its disposable capsules.

"I thought if I had a long time to be tied" to the brand, "I had to understand what they really are," he said, now boasting the policy of "sustainable quality" Nespresso has worked for ten years with the Rainforest Alliance, an American NGO that certifies "sustainable" farms.

For years, George Clooney is very involved in the situation in Sudan where he visited many, many times. In March 2012, he was arrested and detained for several hours after Washington protested outside the Sudanese embassy to draw attention to "war crimes" and the humanitarian crisis in the south.

For the actor, it is necessary to choose a specific cause. "In a world where you are known, you should choose something that you work hard, and you understand. For me, it was Darfur and South Sudan," he said.

So do not see the new "green" icon in it. "I'm doing the best I can but I can already tell you that I took a private jet and it depletes my credit carbon footprint of a trip", he started.

GEORGE CLOONEY, WHAT ELSE? DU CAFÉ DU SUD-SOUDAN...
 - Publié le 16/07/2013 à 18:23

Avec son célèbre "What else", George Clooney est devenu le visage de Nespresso. Parallèlement, il milite depuis des années pour leSoudan du Sud. Résultat: le géant suisse de l'alimentation veut faire du tout jeune Etat un pays exportateur de café, et en remplir ses capsules en 2015.

"C'est une suggestion de ma part", a expliqué l'acteur, présent à Paris jeudi pour une conférence de presse consacrée à la politique de développement durable de la marque.

"J'en ai parlé et on m'a dit: +on va voir si ça a du sens de faire du café là-bas+. Ils y sont allés et ils ont vu qu'il y avait en fait déjà des plants de café là-bas et qu'il y avait une chance" de les développer, a-t-il ajouté.
A l'instar d'autres pays africains comme l'Ethiopie et le Kénya, Nespresso veut développer la culture du café de haute qualité dans quatre régions du Soudan du Sud (près de la ville de Yei, le plateau de Boma, les monts Imatong, et Equateur-Oriental), indépendant depuis deux ans.

L'ambition est d'en remplir ses premières capsules en 2015.
"C'est un investissement à long terme. Il n'y a pas de route, pas d'infrastructure. Planter va prendre du temps. Mais il y a une chance que ça marche, et si ça marche vraiment, cela pourra avoir un impact sur la vie de millions de personnes", a assuré la star hollywoodienne. "La seule chose qui sort du Soudan du Sud pour l'instant, c'est du pétrole (...) et la population n'a pas l'air d'en bénéficier".

L'acteur explique qu'il a voulu aller plus loin avec la marque après avoir, conférence de presse après conférence de presse, été souvent sommé de devoir justifier "le caractère durable" de Nespresso, notamment critiqué pour ses capsules jetables.
"J'ai pensé que si je devais être lié encore longtemps" à cette marque, "je devais comprendre ce qu'ils font vraiment", a-t-il expliqué, vantant désormais la politique de "qualité durable" de Nespresso qui collabore depuis dix ans avec Rainforest Alliance, ONG américaine qui certifie les exploitations agricoles "durables".

Depuis des années, George Clooney est très impliqué dans la situation au Soudan où il s'est rendu de très nombreuses fois. En mars 2012, il a été interpellé et détenu plusieurs heures à Washington après avoir manifesté devant l'ambassade du Soudan afin d'attirer l'attention sur "les crimes de guerre" et la crise humanitaire dans le sud du pays.

Pour l'acteur, il faut se choisir une cause précise. "Dans un monde où vous êtes connus, vous devez choisir une chose sur laquelle vous travaillez dur, et que vous comprenez. Pour moi, ça a été le Darfour puis le Soudan du Sud", a-t-il expliqué.
Donc, ne pas voir en lui la nouvelle icône "verte". "Je fais du mieux que je peux mais je peux déjà vous dire que j'ai pris un jet privé et ça épuise mon crédit en empreinte carbone en un voyage!", a-t-il lancé.

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Tue 16 Jul 2013, 19:30

George Clooney wrote:
“I am excited for the opportunity to bring together my role as an ambassador for Nespresso and an advocate for a better future for the people of South Sudan,” said George Clooney. “This program will help farmers and their families secure their future by building new sources of sustainable business in this region. It will provide much-needed income and security for thousands of farmers and their families living in coffee communities and has the potential to play an important role in helping to diversify the economic base in the country.”

This is brilliant. I buy Fair Trade coffee, which isn't always easy--not a lot of coffee producers on board with it---especially in this free-for-all climate of paying folks smaller and smaller wages for what they produce.

If the folks in Sudan can sustainably support themselves, they will be less vulnerable to outside forces trying to divide them.

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Jul 2013, 19:41

Our friends at Frenchiesfans.canalblog have an awful lot of stuff on this subject including some video footage. Just in, so need to check it out

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 20:06

Here is a video from Paris.

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 20:18

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 20:19

He looks happy and relaxed. Like the video how he shakes the hand of the biker. George has time for everyone how nice
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Jul 2013, 20:30

Thank you, Nicky!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 20:33

Thank you for the find party animal LOL
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Jul 2013, 20:38

Not bad at finding, Nicky. Hopeless at the techy stuff!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 20:47

It's all about teamwork Thumbs up! I suck in finding things. Start with my house key LOL
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 16 Jul 2013, 23:42

Matt involved with Water.Org and George involved
with coffee.....maybe Brad for bread and all
will be well in the deprived areas. Yahooooo
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 17 Jul 2013, 01:57

Yes thanks everyone, I have had my PC hacked twice in the last week so have been a bit hesitant to download etc, so appreciate everyones contribution in finding all the wonderful George pics.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Wed 17 Jul 2013, 08:07

Its the George I believe him to always be. That big hearted tender kind of guy. But hes very clever and intelligent in behalf of his seeking to help the South Sudan.

I think the image he has had wasn't about showing too much of his private life and what he really is interested in. But to help them, sometimes it has to be made known and done in a way that helps them. Like the arrest. Got the world's attention. Arrested for speaking in behalf of the Sudan against what threatens its security and freedom. He keeps a lot of his other charity work private. Only using media for those that need it.

One of the reasons I feel the way I do about why he does PR. To be truthful tho, I think he has tired of that method tho. And will seek a better way to do things possibly in the near future.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

George Clooney on Fair Trade board for Nespresso Empty George Clooney with Nespresso

Post by silly girl Wed 17 Jul 2013, 17:39

New article....I am actually very impressed.....

George Clooney tastes sustainability in Nespresso coffee
Hollywood star talks about ads, activism and why he's spying on Sudan's Omar al-Bashir

George Clooney is the face of Nespresso, the Nestle capsule coffee company, and makes no bones about it. "I'm very comfortable with commercials. I've done them most of my life," he said on Tuesday in Paris, as he provided star power to the newly unveiled Nespresso Sustainability Advisory Board (NSAB). "But I would find myself at a press conference, or perhaps at a film festival and suddenly there'd be some people challenging me about Nespresso's sustainability. I thought if I was going to be involved on a long-term basis with this company, and I like them very much, I should find out what they're doing and what they should and could be held responsible for." Three years ago Clooney headed out with Nespresso to Costa Rica to see the company's coffee farmers for himself.

If you're not familiar with the Nespresso brand, there are usually two main sustainability beefs. A small tray was dropped off at my hotel room ahead of the unveiling of the NSAB, reminding me of the first. The tray held four shimmering jewels, sealed aluminium pods of espresso magic that pop into a machine. Each is a single use canister and an estimated 186m are used in the UK each year alone. Nespresso says that it has collection points (and will pick up) for empties in the UK and Ireland and that they can be successfully recycled in Crewe.

The second major point of contention is that Nespresso is owned by Nestle, and its baby milk scandal has still not been forgotten by campaigners. Nestle is also a mammoth buyer of commodities, and thus not perceived as distributing social value along its supply chain in the same way as, say, Fairtrade.

Clooney's Nespresso ads poke fun at himself by being turned down by a series of beautiful women who are more interested in the coffee machine and its bejewelled single-use pods than him. The knowing ads riff off his public persona: uber suave and a little bit smug.

But there are critical differences between advert Clooney and NSAB Clooney – the former doesn't talk about farming, whereas the latter said:

I'm the grandson of tobacco farmers and I grew up on a farm and I really felt that when I went to Costa Rica. I spent time with one amazing family who have changed everything, made it more efficient made it better. They were so proud! Pig crap powers their entire home!

The family, it turns out, are in the room (they stand up bashfully for a round of applause). They are one family of 56,000 coffee farmers who are part of Nespresso's environmental and quality assurance system that means they can attract around 30-40% above market price. On Tuesday, Nespresso announced it'd be extending this scheme into Africa, and said it expects to double the amount of coffee sourced from Ethiopia and Kenya to 10,000 tons by 2020.

But the big story here is Sudan. Were Clooney not in attendance I'd probably have been reporting on the fact that Nespresso is planning on leveraging South Sudan as a high quality coffee producer (as it was 40 years ago). Clooney said:

"Yesterday we got to drink coffee of South Sudan, and this is the only export to have come out of South Sudan besides oil since the war. The problem with oil being of course that a company takes the oil from beneath the feet of the people living there via a pipeline, back of a truck and a dock in Khartoum. Oftentimes the government gets a small proportion and it doesn't seem to trickle down.

But if Clooney wasn't there, then arguably there wouldn't be a drive to source coffee from Sudan. The country is an all-consuming passion for the actor, who was arrested at the Sudanese embassy in Washington last year:

"Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]. Then he puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'well welcome to my life Mr War Criminal'. I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair."

On his own green credentials, Clooney is coy. He likes electric cars, he thinks the issues are important, "but I've been in a private jet [I imagine more than once] and once you do that you pretty much undo any good" but he certainly gets it. He also has a noticeably good rapport with Harriet Lamb, CEO of Fairtrade International, a fellow NSAB panellist.

She said farmers associations welcomed Nespresso's initiatives and big companies could play an important role:

'You need dedicated pioneer brands but you also need the big boys who can drive the whole sector. We're all at the start of creating the sort of change we want to see. There's a strong message here [with Nespresso's suite of sustainability measures]. One of the problems is the pace of return that shareholders are demanding and this drives them to make snap decisions on important factors for profit. When the public comes in, it gives companies the time to make that long-term change. It takes time to plant coffee, it takes time for farmer organisations to build and to protect the environment.'

Nestle is also planning to source Fairtrade-certified coffee from an additional 7,000 small scale farmers in Colombia. It may be – nobody from Fairtrade International would be drawn – that Nespresso is asked or persuaded to contribute to a Fairtrade fund at some point in the way that Starbucks has contributed EURO1 million to the Fairtrade Access Fund, a provider of midscale loans. It seem likely that eventually there will be a Fairtrade-branded Nespresso product. That might be the moment NSAB Clooney finally gets his day in one of those commercials.

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 20:45

Thanks silly girl for the artical. Very interesting. I like the fact that he mentions his own green credentials but also says he is flying in a private jet so he is not trying to be perfect. I like that
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 17 Jul 2013, 21:23

Thanks for the article
It's nice to hear him talking
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 17 Jul 2013, 22:47

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next